Romney, Bachmann come to Bibi’s defense

posted at 4:15 pm on November 9, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Yes, the administration has an open mic problem — but it’s still really not surprising that President Barack Obama would disparage Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to French President Nicholas Sarkozy. He hasn’t exactly shown himself eager to do whatever possible to demonstrate his commitment to the U.S.’ continued friendship with Israel.

The president’s gaffe was largely glossed over on the campaign trail — perhaps because sexual harassment allegations against Herman Cain have consumed so much of the oxygen of the race lately. But at least two GOP contenders didn’t let the president’s thoughtless comments go unnoticed.

In a recent statement, Mitt Romney said Obama’s bad attitude is yet another indicator of the need for new leadership:

“President Obama’s derisive remarks about Israel’s Prime Minister confirm what any observer would have gleaned from his public statements and actions toward our longstanding ally, Israel,” Romney said in a statement. “At a moment when the Jewish state is isolated and under threat, we cannot have an American president who is disdainful of our special relationship with Israel. We have here yet another reason why we need new leadership in the White House.”

And Michele Bachmann said the incident provides the president with an opportunity to demonstrate leadership — if only he’ll take it:

“I call on President Obama to immediately apologize to Prime Minister Netanyahu and I also believe that the president should demonstrate leadership and demand that the French President Sarkozy do the same,” Bachmann told reporters on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, House Speaker John Boehner in a Newsmax interview published last night exhorted Obama to polish his manners toward Israel, in general.

“And I just think we’ve gone way over the line. Israel is our ally,” Boehner said. “They’ve been our friends for 60 years. When you look at that part of the world, it’s the one ally year in and year out, day in and day out and frankly, I think they should be treated better.”

The U.S. has, fortunately, all but assured the failure of the Palestinian bid for full recognition from the United Nations — but the Palestinians aren’t about to abandon their attempts to circumvent the negotiation process. Now’s not a time for the president to be anything but supportive of Bibi — in public and (presumably) private settings.

Comments

Finally…a new yet political thread!

RedLizard64 on November 9, 2011 at 4:18 PM

More proof that Michele Bachmann is Romney’s stalking horse!!!

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Nice work, Mitt.

ted c on November 9, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Good for them.

katy the mean old lady on November 9, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Wow, something good from Mittens.

rbj on November 9, 2011 at 4:21 PM

“Far from treating Israel preferentially, Obama seems to think he can place all the pressure for an agreement between Israel and Palestine on Israel — and yet somehow still maintain that he has Israel’s best interests at heart.”

There’s no such thing as “Palestine”.

IronDioPriest on November 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Neither one is my preferred candidate, and I give them both full credit for coming out and saying what’s right.

DrAllecon on November 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I would like to add my voice to the chorus applauding our brave GOP leadership in stepping up and telling us what it is that Obama should say and do. I am confident that Obama will take notice.

Skandia Recluse on November 9, 2011 at 4:23 PM

You can see why President Thin Skin hates the guy. Bibi destroyed him by just being teh awesome in front of Congress.

John the Libertarian on November 9, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Good for Romney and Bachman.

cozmo on November 9, 2011 at 4:24 PM

RedLizard64 on November 9, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Yippee my first “first” post!. Amazing though isn’t it you have a not so long ago 3rd place GOP contender now barely holding the lead in which he can not possibly affect much of anything for a year getting more play than the actually executiv eOfficer of our country bumbling diplomacy towards one of our best and longest allies and only true democratic nation in the entire middle east. And this sam bumbling Blockhead starves democracry in Iran to our Peril and aids in several countries becoming Sharia-comliant Islamic states that hate America even worse after our pains of Passionate Progressivism (er…as opposed to Compassionate Conservatism)

RedLizard64 on November 9, 2011 at 4:25 PM

There’s no such thing as “Palestine”.

IronDioPriest on November 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Like it, or not, The West Bank and Gaza strip are Palestine.

cozmo on November 9, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Its about time they quit poking each other in the eye and went after the real problem,,,,,,Obama jug ears is the cancer that needs to be eradicated.

retiredeagle on November 9, 2011 at 4:27 PM

cozmo on November 9, 2011 at 4:25 PM

On what/who’s map from which time period?

RedLizard64 on November 9, 2011 at 4:28 PM

So what was the context of the comment then Tina?

lexhamfox on November 9, 2011 at 4:29 PM

We’re off to a good start today; dedicated Newt, Perry and Romney/Bachmann posts.

Good comments against this travesty in the WH.

Have the others commented as well?

Demosthenes on November 9, 2011 at 4:29 PM

I sure hope that this is picked up and repeated in the jewish community. That will help obummer get re-elected! LOL
Can you imagine if this would have happend under “W”. It would be on the front page.
But because its obummer, well not that important.

ColdWarrior57 on November 9, 2011 at 4:31 PM

On what/who’s map from which time period?

RedLizard64 on November 9, 2011 at 4:28 PM

It doesn’t matter, they control the territory now. Their allies want it and their adversaries accept it. Even if they cannot support themselves, or even govern themselves properly, it has come to pass. They aren’t the only place on the map that shouldn’t be their own territory, but like Somalia, they exist.

cozmo on November 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Romney +1

Bachmann +1

Didn’t Newt comment on this too?

Perry, Cain, Huntsman should have jumped on it. Spotlight this anti-Semitic POTUS for all his Jewish voters to see.

petefrt on November 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM

petefrt on November 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Obama’s not gonna lose the Jewish vote… Not only will they turn out to vote; they’ll vote for him.

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2011 at 4:34 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Probably. Most in this country seem to feel they’re Dems first, and Jews second. Shame.

But I read there are undercurrents of disenchantment lately among, say, 20-30%.

petefrt on November 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM

cozmo on November 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Just offering this up not to start a dispute. I think I understand where you are coming from though. What I have found inteesting having listened to several of their radical IMAM’s (courtesy of MEMRI) is that when they talk of themselve or the territory they actually pronounce it Philistine or Philistia….so this actually goes back about as far as anyone can remember.

RedLizard64 on November 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Hot Air shills for Romney and Bachmann!!!

csdeven on November 9, 2011 at 4:39 PM

But I read there are undercurrents of disenchantment lately among, say, 20-30%.

petefrt on November 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM

You’ll have some smart Jews (ones that haven’t embraced the death cult – DNC) that will not vote for Obama; but many of the politically active Jews will still vote for Obama. And why not? What allegiance do they have to Israel?

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM

retiredeagle on November 9, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Until this moment, I didn’t realize that it was possible to insult cancer.

Laura in Maryland on November 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM

petefrt on November 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM

This just in…Herman Cain denies any knowledge of harrassing of any woman named Bibi.

Now who am I gonna support?

*pouts*

Laura in Maryland on November 9, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Like it, or not, The West Bank and Gaza strip are Palestine.

cozmo on November 9, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Sorry, cozmo-but I agree. ‘Palestine’ is like the tooth fairy…ral on in the minds of children.
*I certainly wasn’t call you a child. I meant muzzie symps.*

Am Yisrael Chai MoFos!

annoyinglittletwerp on November 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM

It just occurred to me that every stinking politician I’ve supported lately has gone down in flames. Anyone have an Obowmao sign I can borrow?

Laura in Maryland on November 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Have the others commented as well?

Demosthenes on November 9, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Herman Cain confirmed that Netanyahu is related to Ben and Jerry’s co-founder Ben Cohen.

Ronnie on November 9, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Laura in Maryland on November 9, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I’d vote for a Bibi-if only he were eligible-but at this point in time I wouldn’t vote for a nominee Cain.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 9, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Ronnie on November 9, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Herman Cain confirmed that ‘Fagin’ in Oliver Twist was actually modeled on Bibi.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 9, 2011 at 4:49 PM

In a recent statement, Mitt Romney said Obama’s bad attitude is yet another indicator of the need for new leadership:

Romney’s statement is highly laudible, as are those by Bachmann and Boehner that you’ve quoted above.

Obama’s sneering smear of Netanyahu is not only reprehensible but it again emphasizes just how insipid and uncapable the guy is to the Presidency. Apparently, it’s all about who’s cool enough to be visited with his grandiose presence either on the phone or over a table during a meal.

Barack Obama, the Stupid Guy Who’se Sure He’s Cool But Isn’t.

Lourdes on November 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I’d prefer Netanyahu to Obama as the U.S. President, in a heartbeat, no question about it, hands down.

I anticipate the day when Barack Obama can’t get his phone calls returned.

Lourdes on November 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Lourdes on November 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Chutzpah-in the good sense-seems to run in the Netanyahu family.
As has been mentioned before-Bibi’s brother Yonni was the only Israeli solider killed @ Entebbe.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 9, 2011 at 4:52 PM

There’s no such thing as “Palestine”.

IronDioPriest on November 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Agreed, but that does point out just to what degree Sharia is Creeping, doesn’t it? Now referring to “Palestine” is as commonplace and inaccurate as calling “‘gay’” “marriage” some “right that’s being denied.”

Had to point that out. Inaccuracies in cultural-speak or shared nomenclature leads to much diversion if not insurrection of civilization, in time.

Lourdes on November 9, 2011 at 4:54 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on November 9, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Of course Bibi’s elligible. I’ve got a copy of his HI certificate of live birth!

;)

Laura in Maryland on November 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Ronnie on November 9, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Nah, he’s Ben Cohen’s brother from another mother.

Seriously, though. Have the others bothered to comment?

Demosthenes on November 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Laura in Maryland on November 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM

LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on November 9, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I anticipate the day when Barack Obama can’t get his phone calls returned.

Lourdes on November 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I’m hoping that’s the day that Israel answers the Iranian nukes question.

Laura in Maryland on November 9, 2011 at 4:57 PM

RedLizard64 on November 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on November 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM

No problem y’all. There is no official Palestine, except in Texas, and its a nice place.

Look at it this way though, the territories that are referred to as Palestine aren’t going away. No other country wants the people. The people now there destroyed any economic viability the land had. Can’t erase the places, they won’t be absorbed… Palestine exists.

cozmo on November 9, 2011 at 4:58 PM

There’s no such thing as “Palestine”.

IronDioPriest on November 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Like it, or not, The West Bank and Gaza strip are Palestine.

cozmo on November 9, 2011 at 4:25 PM

No, those are concessions by Israel to people who engage in depravity against you and friends when they don’t get your property.

Lourdes on November 9, 2011 at 4:59 PM

cozmo on November 9, 2011 at 4:58 PM

It’s Pale-steen Texas. I looked it up in my ‘How to speak Texan’ book.
*runs*

annoyinglittletwerp on November 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Apparently everyone is misreading what he was saying, he was actually saying how great it is to be able to work with him everyday.
“I have to deal with him every day”, means it is his good fortune that he gets to deal with Bibi every day…gee, you guys are so skeptical, the president loves the jooooooos…(just not every day)…

right2bright on November 9, 2011 at 5:02 PM

To be followed tomorrow by Romney criticizing Netanyahu and complementing Sarkozy and 0bama.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on November 9, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Ronnie on November 9, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Nah, he’s Ben Cohen’s brother from another mother.

Seriously, though. Have the others bothered to comment?

Demosthenes on November 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Yeah, and I’m related to the Queen of England. Actually, to several of them along with a King, a Prime Minister of England and two U.S. Presidents, at least the ones I know about.

Ancestry is an interesting thing but it’s not, or shouldn’t be, a thing that merits any merit badge other than what your DNA is.

Lourdes on November 9, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Good on them both.

I hope they both lose.

portlandon on November 9, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Ronnie on November 9, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Nah, he’s Ben Cohen’s brother from another mother.

Seriously, though. Have the others bothered to comment?

Demosthenes on November 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Lourdes on November 9, 2011 at 5:03 PM

We’re born into this world alone, we go out of this world alone. We’re on our own, though I thank ancesters for the advantages of immune system functions and other physiology that provides survival advantages.

Lourdes on November 9, 2011 at 5:04 PM

It’s Pale-steen Texas. I looked it up in my ‘How to speak Texan’ book.
*runs*

annoyinglittletwerp on November 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I will find you and tie you to the tracks of the Texas State Railroad in PalestIne.

cozmo on November 9, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Lourdes on November 9, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I’m a cousin of Sara Lee-as in the baking company.
Really. I think she and my grandmother were first cousins or something.
I’ve never met her.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 9, 2011 at 5:08 PM

cozmo on November 9, 2011 at 5:07 PM

My husband works for WT&L-so you don’t scare me one bit.
*sticks out tongue*

annoyinglittletwerp on November 9, 2011 at 5:09 PM

OT – BY the way Anyone remember Ramos and Compean? Now there is THIS

What the hell is wrong with our DOJ (besides Holder I mean). I f I did this as a law abiding citizen…misdemeanor at best and the BP agent gets 2 YEARS?? And I’ll bet his wife is a stay at home mom and can’t afford the fines now that the bread-winner is under lock and key….please somebody pull me out of the TWILIGHT zone episode that I and my country are in….SARAH….Can you hear us now?

RedLizard64 on November 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Really, Tina? Really?

pseudonominus on November 9, 2011 at 5:20 PM

My husband works for WT&L-so you don’t scare me one bit.
*sticks out tongue*

annoyinglittletwerp on November 9, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Good, that will make it easier.

cozmo on November 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM

My husband works for WT&L-so you don’t scare me one bit.
*sticks out tongue*

annoyinglittletwerp on November 9, 2011 at 5:09 PM

When y’all moved to Lubbock somehow I thought you associated with Tech…sorry for the assumption. Apparently y’all “work for a livin;”, good on ya.

Who is John Galt on November 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Lourdes on November 9, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Lourdes, I was quoting Cain.

It wasn’t a crack at Netanyahu.

Demosthenes on November 9, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Wait a sec, someone said Palestine and someone else says Texas? Must be a Perry supporter (kidding)

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on November 9, 2011 at 5:23 PM

What Are These People Thinking?

The ramifications of the statement are colossal.

Someone must obtain the specifics on how the Israeli leader is a liar. This is a vital national security issue since it concerns a sovereign leader of an allied nation located in a flash point for an outbreak of military action and vital American interests.

And we treat it like a slap at a great friend at the PTA or as some vague indication of what goes on in the mind of a politician whose real foreign policy opinions are shared by less than ten percent of the electorate. Whether they are right or wrong is unimportant. He never acts on them. But there is an important and embarrassing question:

How is Mr. Netanyahu a liar?

IlikedAUH2O on November 9, 2011 at 5:28 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on November 9, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Nope, Texas supporter.

Sooner, or later, everything leads to Texas.

cozmo on November 9, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Lourdes on November 9, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Lourdes, I was quoting Cain.

It wasn’t a crack at Netanyahu.

Demosthenes on November 9, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Yes, I know you were. And my following comment wasn’t cranky, it was just ‘adding to the stream of information’ so to speak.

Lourdes on November 9, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Who is John Galt on November 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM

My husband is a railroader and I work for Wal-mart. While I’ve applied @ Tech as a transfer student I’ll be going very part time.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 9, 2011 at 5:34 PM

What Are These People Thinking?

The ramifications of the statement are colossal.

How is Mr. Netanyahu a liar?

IlikedAUH2O on November 9, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Yes, I agree, but the countering-of-Obama statements are necessarily directed at the person of Netanyahu AND the nation of Israel that he represents, as “friend and ally (both, respectively)” BECAUSE OF the inevitable creeping phenomana in both Europe and the U.S. (not to mention the Middle East and Africa and apparently now also in Russia) by the Leftwing.

That Obama did not confront Sarkozy’s slur of Netanyahu in “some” Presidential fashion is beyond deplorable. It’s downright evil that he didn’t.

Lourdes on November 9, 2011 at 5:38 PM

“Romney said in a statement.”

vs

“Bachmann told reporters on Tuesday.”

Hmmmmmmmmm…

Seven Percent Solution on November 9, 2011 at 5:38 PM

I told everyone a long time ago when first Obama, this Mess, took the White House:

Don’t get in the boxcars.

Lourdes on November 9, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Romney has always had this outlook toward Israel.

scotash on November 9, 2011 at 5:45 PM

My apologies then, Lourdes. It didn’t come across cranky (nor did I mean to come across cranky in my reply) — I just wasn’t sure what you meant with your first paragraph.

Other than that, I agreed. One can be proud of their family and their families accomplishments, but one can’t rely on their sir-name alone.

Sometimes though, it’s a burden if one has to “live up” to the name. Living in your fathers shadow can be rough, especially when you want to attain their notoriety. Like John Steinbeck’s son, who also wrote short stories, it’s a tough act to follow.

Demosthenes on November 9, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I’d vote for a Bibi-if only he were eligible…

annoyinglittletwerp on November 9, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Laura in Maryland on November 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM

In that case, he’s got my vote.

petefrt on November 9, 2011 at 5:50 PM

So dod Perry-He said he would talk to Bibi every day.

Bullhead on November 9, 2011 at 6:21 PM

That was one of the worst comments in leadership history

tomas on November 9, 2011 at 7:04 PM