Quotes of the day

posted at 10:37 pm on November 9, 2011 by Allahpundit

“The Pennsylvania State University Board of Trustees and Graham Spanier have decided that, effective immediately, Dr. Spanier is no longer president of the University. Additionally, the board determined that it is in the best interest of the University for Joe Paterno to no longer serve as head football coach, effective immediately.

“The board has named Dr. Rodney A. Erickson, executive vice president and provost, as the interim president of the University. Tom Bradley, assistant coach, has been named interim head football coach.”

***

“The U.S. Department of Education said Wednesday it would investigate whether Penn State violated federal law requiring the disclosure of criminal offenses on campus and warnings of crimes posing a threat to the community in its handling of the allegations. U.S. Rep. Patrick Meehan, R-Pa., requested the Education Department’s involvement on Tuesday.

“‘If these allegations of sexual abuse are true then this is a horrible tragedy for those young boys. If it turns out that some people at the school knew of the abuse and did nothing or covered it up, that makes it even worse,’ U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan said. ‘Schools and school officials have a legal and moral responsibility to protect children and young people from violence and abuse.’”

***

“Paterno was told about it the day after it happened by Mike McQueary, a graduate assistant coach who testified that he went into the locker room one Friday night and heard rhythmic slapping noises. He looked into the showers and saw a naked boy about 10 years old ‘with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky,’ according to the grand jury report.

“It would appear to be the rare case of a pedophile caught in the act, and you’d think a graduate student would know enough to stop the rape and call the police. But McQueary, who was 28 years old at the time, was a serf in the powerfully paternal Paternoland. According to the report, he called his dad, went home and then the next day went to the coach’s house to tell him.

“‘I don’t even have words to talk about the betrayal that I feel,’ the mother of one of Sandusky’s alleged victims told The Harrisburg Patriot-News, adding about McQueary: ‘He ran and called his daddy?’

“Paterno, who has cast himself for 46 years as a moral compass teaching his ‘kids’ values, testified that he did not call the police at the time either. The family man who had faced difficult moments at Brown University as a poor Italian with a Brooklyn accent must have decided that his reputation was more important than justice.”

***

“Suffice it to say, there ought to be a special place in Hell (which, for purposes of this story, I’m prepared to believe in) for the pieces of garbage involved in this story, a place where the cruelest agony is dispensed as a half-time treat, a Hell to make the Devil himself weep, with a seat on the 50 yard line for me. I’m going to stop here, because all I can think of right now are curse words.

“The media’s treatment of this crime against humanity adds insult to injury. This is nothing new, of course. The nomenclature surrounding ‘sex crimes’ is already hopelessly sterile, and the media routinely refers to cases of rape and sexual assault as ‘sex scandals,’ but that makes it no less important to call them out every time they do it.

“Sandusky is not accused of ‘having sex’ with little boys, he is accused of raping them. In our civilization, ‘sex’ with a child is not possible, since a child cannot consent to sex. As I half-listened to the news all day today, then, and I heard repeated references to ‘the Penn State sex scandal,’ it pissed me off. It made my blood steam a little bit, like a hot cup of coffee.”

***

“Students are descending on Old Main, chanting ‘Joe Paterno’ and ‘F— the board.’”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

wow, the students are really sticking by paterno…do they not realize what occured within their hallowed walls of penn state????

cmsinaz on November 9, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Those of us sticking by Joe don’t believe he is an accessory.

And the debate about him in particular is over that issue.

listens2glenn on November 10, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Why wasn’t McQueary fired? Just because he reported it the next day he’s cleared? BS. How could he witness such a horrific event and then simply slither away without doing anything to help the child? I hope his dreams are haunted for the rest of his miserable life. What shameful disgusting pigs they all are. They enabled Sandusky and as such should be considered accomplices. The death penalty is not painful enough, they deserve to be tortured until their very last breath.

GrannySunni on November 10, 2011 at 12:30 AM

I have heresay (second hand stories) of rapes which I am not going to talk about since the charge is so serious. A girl who was a fanatic at such a school had a friend abused. Both left with hatred for the place.

IlikedAUH2O on November 10, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Your not going to talk about it but we are suppose to figure out your cryptic messages that this incident happens all the time?

Cindy Munford on November 10, 2011 at 12:30 AM

If it was a 10 year old, it is safe to say that is rape, but if it was a sexually mature teenager, that is not rape, because the teenager can consent. Whether the law chooses to engage in the legal fiction that a post-pubescent adolescent cannot consent to have sex, even tho teens can and do have sex all the time, is different.

The truth is that, after puberty, teens get horny. A minority of horny teens choose to have sex at young ages. A minority of THOSE choose to have consensual sex with people over the age of 18. That sex is consensual. It is not rape. It may be considered prohibited or unlawful, and the term that is commonly used is “statutory rape”, but it is not rape. In California, it is called unlawful intercourse. States have moved away from the term “statutory rape” because the criminalization of teenage sex is not rape. It is pretty hard to say the sex between a 16 year old girl and her 18 year old boyfriend is rape.

That said, not all sex with horny teens is consensual. Some is obtained by undue influence by a person in a position to trust/responsibility. Some is obtained with alcohol/drugs, and some is obtained with violence/threats. All those things are rape.

kaltes on November 10, 2011 at 12:30 AM

And they are on Fast and Furious the same way. oh wait………..

pat on November 10, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Good to know most Americans are still outraged by this atleast.

jp on November 10, 2011 at 12:34 AM

listens2glenn on November 10, 2011 at 12:23 AM

I’m really sorry, it is very disappointing, I am sure he found it impossible to believe that his friend and colleague could do such things. Hopefully this is not what he will be remember for.

Cindy Munford on November 10, 2011 at 12:34 AM

I don’t think we know yet or can imagine at how ugly this is going to get..:(

Dire Straits on November 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Yup. :(

BocaJuniors on November 10, 2011 at 12:34 AM

For those who don’t know, and for those who have opened this book straight to the back without any regard for how we got here:

1. For over 20 years Jerry Sandusky had been one of the most highly respected assistant coaches in college football history. Sandusky’s defenses were the bedrock that enabled Paterno to win championships, and dozens of Sandusky’s defensive players went on to professional and personal success.

2. Besides his professional accomplishments, Sandusky was a pioneer in starting his foundation–and influenced other coaches and athletes to create meaningful ways to help at-risk youth. And while cynicism might suggest it, no one yet has suggested that he started his foundation in order to recruit potential victims–there is simply no evidence to suggest that this behavior has been going on that long.

3. Many of Sandusky’s colleagues and proteges have said this man was the last man on earth they would expect this behavior from. He was always interested in giving of himself to others, not in taking from the most helpless.

4. Apparently the eyewitness account the GA gave Paterno–and that Paterno passed along to school officials–was so watered down that it bore little resemblance to the account the GA gave the Grand Jury.

5. The Grand Jury issued an indictment against numerous school officials but not against Paterno, apparently because Paterno’s legal responsibility was to pass on the GA’s claim to the department head for further investigation. Paterno met that obligation. However, none of those responsible parties informed law enforcement of the allegations, either because they did not take them seriously or because they overestimated the thoroughness of their own investigation.

I don’t offer this background to excuse anyone for their actions. Even if the allegations were totally false, which is very unlikely, the school officials broke the law by failing to pass them along to the proper authorities. I only offer this to suggest that these situations are usually much more complex than we care to believe; this man–and by association Joe Pa–were not hypocrites from the very start; moral culpability is often excused under the guise of self-preservation; and we often use the same types of prejudice as these men did when evaluating the likelihood that Sandusky was perpetrating these acts.

There but for the grace of God go I; even so, may God have mercy on his soul, because the law shall have no mercy on his body.

rwenger43 on November 10, 2011 at 12:36 AM

CNN’s breaking coverage is always very good. Fox? Not so much.

rickyricardo on November 9, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Fox News is an extremely low-budget operation that is extremely profitable. They use the same few commentators night after night. Outside of DC and perhaps Manhattan, they have no news teams and have to depend on local affiliates. Happy Valley is in the middle of nowhere.

If you remember the “Half Hour News Hour,” FNC dropped it because of production costs – something it is not used to.

bw222 on November 10, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Dire Straits on November 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM

I don’t know how many horrific stories about children I can take.

Cindy Munford on November 10, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Isn’t Sandusky around 68? He retired in 1999. At around 56 yrs of age. Supposedly he was a great football coach and yet he wasn’t picked up by another college or the pros….hmmmm… does that tell you that he was told he would never, ever get a good reference from Paterno or the school?

journeyintothewhirlwind on November 10, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Shut the degenerate university down immediately. Arrest all the perps – Paterno, Sandusky, Mcquery (and his dad). Throw the book at them, and throw away the keys. End of story.

rightwink on November 10, 2011 at 12:43 AM

I don’t know how many horrific stories about children I can take.

Cindy Munford on November 10, 2011 at 12:38 AM

I know..It is simplying heart breaking..:(

Dire Straits on November 10, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Good night everyone, sweet dreams.

Cindy Munford on November 10, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Cindy Munford on November 10, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Good Night Cindy..:)

Dire Straits on November 10, 2011 at 12:48 AM

A couple of days ago that great conservative icon Rush Limbaugh defended him, saying that everyone wants to drag down “good people” to their level. Some BS about it being a lot easier to conduct yourself as a scumball if you turn others into scumballs too.

No one is responsible for Paterno failing to do the right thing but Paterno.

Of course tomorrow Rush will be singing a different tune. Just like he would be if Cain is proven to be a serial harasser.

Meredith on November 10, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Not sure what day you were referring to, but on Tuesday Rush was not protecting Paterno, in spite of being reminded that Paterno was a strong friend of GHWB.

And I believe that Paterno did more than you would have…considering your preference for hindsight analysis and all that….

rwenger43 on November 10, 2011 at 12:49 AM

I’m appalled at this situation. But don’t you just love how all the Ted Kennedy lovers are calling for Paterno’s head, while they condone the fact that Ted Kennedy killed a young woman? I pray those kids have a chance to rebuild their lives. Mary Jo Kopechne never got that chance.

either orr on November 10, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Grand Jury Report
canopfor on November 9, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Don’t read this unless you have a strong stomach. There were 8 victims over at least 10 years.

gh on November 9, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Thanks for the link, canopfor.

And let me echo gh‘s warning about not reading it unless you have a strong stomach. It is graphic reading.

: (

listens2glenn on November 10, 2011 at 1:02 AM

The first thought I had was why didn’t McQueary call the cops? They are hanging this on the higher ups, which they absolutely should, but had McQueary been the moral person and called the police, this would have ended then and there. So, ltes not forget to prosecute McQueary along with the coach and the rest who knew.

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 1:03 AM

I always hated Penn State because I am a WVU fanatic, but I never doubted that Paterno was a good, decent guy. This is one of those stories that just really sucks on every level. What happened was evil, people knew, and chose to look the other way.

Southernblogger on November 10, 2011 at 1:04 AM

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 1:03 AM

I doubt that will happen, but he is as “guilty” as the rest.

Southernblogger on November 10, 2011 at 1:06 AM

I doubt that will happen, but he is as “guilty” as the rest.

Southernblogger on November 10, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Hopefully they don’t make a deal for his testimony.

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Quick Intel Alert,while I’m snuffing out Nazi’s in Call of duty!
=================================================================

Another image of overturned TV truck at Penn State – via @DailyCollegian
33 Min.ago

ESPN’s Joe Schad reports: Paterno was handed an envelope by at his door by a board member which read, call a #, when he did, he was fired
43Min.ago
Update

@KellyO
Disturbing , disappointing mob behavior at Penn State. Reports TV truck flipped, riot.The victims and their families deserve more respect
54 Min.ago
update

@NBCPhiladelphia
First video of Joe Paterno & his wife Sue addressing students after JoePa was fired. http://t.co/2osOGyVc #breakingnews
58Min.ago

Joe Paterno meets students outside home, briefly thanks crowd, urges them to pray for abuse victims – from ESPN broadcast
1 Hr.ago

ESPN reporter: Penn St students have flipped over a media van; demonstration turning violent – from broadcast
1Hr.ago.

@jon_wertheim
Media van flipped over by angry Penn St students – via @jon_wertheim
1 hr.ago.

Nebraska chancellor: Playing Saturday at Penn State ‘in no way condones the conduct that has been alleged’
1 Hr.ago.

@ShawnaNBCNews
NBC producer @Tom_Winter is reporting he’s in the middle of a crowd of over 1000 PSU students who are chanting “We Want Joe.”
1 Hr.ago
**********
***********

canopfor on November 10, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Every thing about this makes me want to vomit…

… but what disturbs me the most, is that this thing felt so safe and comfortable that the homosexual anal rape of young boys in his place of employment, over a number of years with multiple victims, tells me he wasn’t so worried about getting caught.

Forget Joe P., ask the question, were any of the administrators who were told and covered this up, homosexuals…?

Seven Percent Solution on November 10, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Seven Percent Solution on November 10, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Uh oh. I suppose that we should now tell people that 33% of child abusers are of the he-he and she-she crowd, while comprising at most about 3% of the population.

Jetboy and friends hardest hit.

platypus on November 10, 2011 at 2:03 AM

My local news just reported 27 men have come forward alleging that this creep violated them.

John the Libertarian on November 10, 2011 at 2:05 AM

Really, really heartbreaking. These columns are about the boy who is known as Victim One. He wasn’t the first, but he and his mom precipitated the grand jury investigation.

“I’m very proud of him,” the mother said of her son, on the brink of adulthood and at the heart of what some are calling the biggest scandal in college sports.

“He’s a brave kid,” she said. “And his major concern in the whole thing was for anybody else. That was his big thing. He said, ‘I just don’t want this to happen to anybody else.’”

A few weeks before her son broke down and confessed to a principal at Central Mountain High School in Clinton County that he was being molested by Jerry Sandusky — a volunteer football coach at his high school — his mother began to suspect something was wrong.

First, it was because her son was acting out. When she grounded him, she said Sandusky demanded he be able to “take care of it.”

“I said, ‘No way, he’s my kid,’” she said.

Then, her son began asking her about an online database for “sex weirdos.”

“You don’t want to just accuse people of that,” the mother said. “I called the school principal and the guidance counselor and said, if nothing else, he’s taking my son out of classes. He’s leaving the school with him. … So I asked them to call him into the office and ask [my son] how he felt.

“They did call him to the office that day and I remember [the principal] was in tears and she said, ‘You need to come here right away.’”

INC on November 10, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Jetboy and friends hardest hit.

platypus on November 10, 2011 at 2:03 AM

platypus:UnCalled For,tolerance me thinks!!

canopfor on November 10, 2011 at 2:23 AM

***spits on sidewalk***

I’d have given the coach a pass had it been a lacky coverup…but himself knowing and heaping dirt and camoflauge on it? Hell. Find the book, find the fastest pitcher, aim for the batter’s box.

Limerick on November 10, 2011 at 2:50 AM

WARNING GRAPHIC

This POS needs to go away, for good.

I was 8 years old when I got my first BJ, from my father. In the next 7-8 years I witnessed all kinds of crap you never want to hear about, all involving my siblings and kids from the neighborhood. I was a target for “bullying” as a result. Everyone knew. Noone ever said a word. Such were the 70s. I was considered a ‘fag’; though all I wanted was to hold Brenda’s hand.

Years later, my sister & I tried to prosecute when her son came forward and admitted that yes, he’d been molested as well. But we were told that my dad had lawyer-ed up, and it would cost us tons of money to pursue.

My family is so screwed up. My dad is living out his years comfortably. My mom has been by his side the whole time.

Let me tell you, this kinda stuff can really screw with a kid’s head.

Ugly on November 10, 2011 at 3:17 AM

@ UGLY: What an awful experience you have had to suffer. I hope you have found some peace within even through the betrayals. Warm thoughts out to you.

As for this topic, it is sickening and hope Sandusky doesn’t end up killing himself before he can really suffer in prison. All of the people who knew that a child was raped should also enjoy a bit of hell for not protecting the innocent over *&*%&-ing football. FOOTBALL!

I can’t stand this bizarre and sick sports-worshipping culture in the US so am definitely not sympathetic to the coach losing his reputation or whatever. College football is a business. A soulless business.

IMO.

Renwaa on November 10, 2011 at 4:51 AM

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 1:03 AM

When I first heard this story, my first thought was: a grown man walks in on another man in the act of raping a little boy, and he just walks away? He doesn’t run over and pull the man off the kid? He doesn’t shout “what the hell are you doing?” or something like that, as he tries to protect the child?

I just don’t get it. McQueary was not a kid when this happened; he was 28 years old. That’s an adult by any standard. He was certainly old enough to know what to do when he witnessed a serious crime happening right in front of him. You don’t call your daddy and ask for advice; you call the police.

And what’s this b.s. about McQueary being a “serf” in Paterno’s organization? Is the fact that he was low-paid or low-status supposed to excuse his inaction? It doesn’t.

Everybody involved in this story seems to have been acting to protect their own interests, instead of acting to protect the kids who were being victimized. It’s beyond disgusting.

AZCoyote on November 10, 2011 at 5:13 AM

Sounds like throwing him under the bus. If you read one of the links in this post, it says what Paterno was told by McQueary was “vague” and “fondeling or horsing around”.

I would say he deserved to be fired if he had also said nothing. But JoePa apparently told his boss as well. Was there less of sense of urgency because McQueary’s report was not clear? They are both bad, but “hey I saw someone horsing around” is not as urgent as “hey I saw him @$$ raping this kid”.

BadBrad on November 10, 2011 at 6:00 AM

nothing on the am shows???what the heck is going on? too early?
rather focus on perry apparently

cmsinaz on November 10, 2011 at 6:01 AM

Cindy Munford on November 10, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Bill Clinton, the second US President to be impeached…

Khun Joe on November 10, 2011 at 6:05 AM

nothing on the am shows???what the heck is going on? too early?
rather focus on perry apparently

cmsinaz on November 10, 2011 at 6:01 AM

I can’t bring myself to check in on Moaning Joe anymore. In all, I thought last night’s debate was fairly constructive. But I’m sure that they’re seizing on Perry almost exclusively. Europe’s cratering, but he had an unfortunate moment of forgetfulness. Who cares? The guy’s running fourth in the polls and falling.

BuckeyeSam on November 10, 2011 at 6:07 AM

BuckeyeSam on November 10, 2011 at 6:07 AM

with you buckeye, i know it will be 3 solid hours of perry bashing…maybe marcus will be our liasion for MJ

cmsinaz on November 10, 2011 at 6:14 AM

Let me tell you, this kinda stuff can really screw with a kid’s head.

Ugly on November 10, 2011 at 3:17 AM

Hope you find a way to live a happy, productive life in spite of the crap you had to endure. The only good thing about it, for me, is that my “abandonment issues” pale by comparison. There are always others who suffered so much more than me and I need to be more grateful for the good in my life. Try to focus and be thankful for the good in yours. Best wishes.

Extrafishy on November 10, 2011 at 6:17 AM

salon flunkie has to mention that both sandusky and paterno are registered gop

nevermind the omission by all lsm of registered democrats who do bad things everyday

trying to spoof this and ends up with egg on his face

cmsinaz on November 10, 2011 at 6:22 AM

test

cmsinaz on November 10, 2011 at 6:24 AM

Ugly on November 10, 2011 at 3:17 AM

Words fail me, I am so terribly sorry you were treated that way and no one was your advocate.

Cindy Munford on November 10, 2011 at 6:30 AM

BuckeyeSam on November 10, 2011 at 6:07 AM

Do you know if Gov. Romney advocated the U.S. helping (bailing out) Italy? I caught a bit of a segment on F & F (in the shower through most of it) that seemed in indicate that he does.

Cindy Munford on November 10, 2011 at 6:33 AM

I’m sure the national man/boy association thing will be protesting his forced retirement as well.

I don’t really understand these people who are publicly giving him support. He’s admitted he never went to the cops.

It doesn’t matter all the good he did with his life, all the trophies he won, all the fame… none of it was worth hiding the rape of even one child! None if it!

The whole thing is just disgusting! That poor kid in that shower.. how many kids up against a freaking shower wall would it have taken for someone to go to the cops?! And they’re out there supporting this guy?!

JellyToast on November 10, 2011 at 6:39 AM

RE: Penn State. Where has NAMBLA been through all of this? I thought they were wholly in favor of any type of sex with little boys and it was acceptable social practice these days. /sarc BTW/

Mr. Grump on November 10, 2011 at 6:42 AM

students went wild last night…pictures found at the dailymail website indicate some destruction

cmsinaz on November 10, 2011 at 6:43 AM

Cindy Munford on November 10, 2011 at 6:33 AM

I don’t think that he did. In truth, my recollection is that none of them did. That said, I’m now recalling a follow-up question the Cramer asked, which was one of those typical gotcha type questions intended to try to paint the responder as an uninformed isolationist extremist. He asked something to the effect, “You mean you don’t support any intervention blah blah blah?” To which Romney responded that in the sense of commitments to third-party financial organizations (the IMF was mentioned, maybe another one or two), he (Romney) would support our continued work through them, but he was pretty adamant about opposing any kind of direct intervention.

To be honest, I know something about personal finance, but I’m at a loss when it comes to high finance and international finance. I realize that our banks and financial institutions don’t stand in isolation from what’s going on in Europe. But I tended to find the GOP answers comforting that any domestic banks that have bet big on European debt are on their own. Where does our country have the resources to bail those financial institutions out or Europoean governments out? I was disappointed to see the CNBC commentators whining that the candidates didn’t have a plan for all this. Who does? Do they think Obama with his multicultural studies background and experience in community organizing has some extraordinary high-finance background that he he’ll bring to bear on these problems? That’s a joke. For crying out loud, according to Obama’s tax returns, he and his wife didn’t know the value of an interest-bearing checking account until 2005. He’s a finance idiot.

BuckeyeSam on November 10, 2011 at 6:58 AM

Cindy Munford on November 10, 2011 at 6:30 AM

Echoing what Cindy said here, Ugly.

hawkdriver on November 10, 2011 at 6:59 AM

Wow – talk about kneejerk reactions. This whole thing is horrible but to tink that Penn State’s ir Joe Paterno’s entire histories are meaningless after this is over reaction. Apparently some of you believe that a Penn St employee is the only one ever involved in child abuse.

If you think it was Paterno’s obligation to go to the police – why wasn’t it the same for the graduate student who actually saw some of the conduct & his father who he told?

katiejane on November 10, 2011 at 7:10 AM

katiejane on November 10, 2011 at 7:10 AM

It was his too you idiot. You’re just gross. Paterno’s gross. You really need to look in the mirror. Who are you?

CW on November 10, 2011 at 7:15 AM

Cindy Munford on November 10, 2011 at 6:30 AM

Wasn’t just me, it was my bro & two sisters & several neighborhood kids as well. Then decades later, my nephew.

And my mom stayed with him all those years, knowing what he’d done.

Trust is an issue with me, as you could imagine.

Ugly on November 10, 2011 at 7:20 AM

***

katiejane on November 10, 2011 at 7:10 AM

Assuming Paterno had no inkling of the suspect’s pattern of behavior until this 2002 incident, Paterno should have driven the graduate assistant to the police–the real police, not those chumps running around as “campus security” to give mom and dad the warm sense that Muffy and Skip are safe at college.

I’m as stunned by the graduate assistant’s conduct as anything else. Indeed, he’s a current assistant coach, and I think he should be fired immediately. The guy reacted like a 12-year old–running away, talking to daddy, and ultimately going to Paterno. But the fact remains, he went to Paterno, and Paterno did virtually nothing. Nothing. Sandusky had a huge hand in PSU’s two national championships in the 1980s (the Fiesta Bowl win over Miami is an all-time classic), and Paterno couldn’t pull the trigger.

Paterno is turning out to be one of the more gutless pieces of sh*t on record.

BuckeyeSam on November 10, 2011 at 7:29 AM

I believe pedophilers should all get the death penalty.

balkanmom on November 9, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Death is too good for them. Let ‘em suffer in prison with no possibility of parole. God will sort them out.

Child sexual abuse, or any abuse for that matter, is unforgivable. Paterno, if he really knew about this, should be more than ashamed of himself.

JetBoy on November 10, 2011 at 7:48 AM

With all the comment monitoring on these Paterno threads, why not just close commenting?

BuckeyeSam on November 10, 2011 at 7:56 AM

BadBrad on November 10, 2011 at 6:00 AM

You need to read the Grand Jury report, it wasn’t vague at all as Paterno claims. And under PA law Paterno was required to call and report it to the police within 48 hours because an employee reported it to him.

Deanna on November 10, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Have the students started burning the place to the ground?

JohnGalt23 on November 9, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Some of them have actually supported Paterno. Sick.

RDE2010 on November 10, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Paterno wasthe most powerful man on campus…always calling the shots even when it came to his own retirement over these past several years when he should have been calling the cops. U can see how important everyone thought the football program was at Penn State, taking precedence over the rape and sodomy of little boys by a known sex offender-ex football coach. So finally the Board of Trustees is swinging its sword because they know how bad this is and how bad it is for alumni money. Think JoPa would have said something if it had been his own grandson instead of a poor kid from Sandusky’s chartity The Second Mile? I just hope the cops start checking for boys that went missing from the area…we don’t even know how many boys he sodomized over the years, who they are and where they are. I just hope Sandusky didn’t take it to the next step to keep these children quiet.

gracie on November 10, 2011 at 8:07 AM

katiejane on November 10, 2011 at 7:10 AM

I hope they take away his credit for every win he’s had since the incident and they better not put his name on the Big Ten trophy.

That said, under PA law 42.42 the grad student wasn’t required to report it to the police but to his superior within 48 hours. Paterno on the other hand, once he got the report, was required to do so by phone and in writing. It isn’t much of a fine for not doing so, unfortunately, and the SOL has run out so it means nothing now.

Deanna on November 10, 2011 at 8:09 AM

What will happen to alumni support? What will happen to enrollment when the dust settles? I think after these students go home for Thanksgiving, they’ll start to wonder whether they should be transferring out of PSU? What happens to applications for admission? I wouldn’t be applying to PSU. Who wants that stench?

BuckeyeSam on November 10, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Whatever happened to tolerance? Aren’t we supposed to be open minded, understanding and tolerant of gays? Most pedophiles are just gay men who prefer younger guys. Right?

The liberals want to teach kindergartners about being gay so this is what happens. Too many mixed messages out there.

Sporty1946 on November 10, 2011 at 8:28 AM

BuckeyeSam on November 10, 2011 at 8:19 AM

The Trustees acted out on behalf of morality and alumni dollars. Penn State remains a very fine school academically and one of the best for engineering (just like Ohio State). i read somewhere that 20% of the world’s engineers have studied at PSU.

If PSU cleans house and resets its focus it will recover.

gracie on November 10, 2011 at 8:34 AM

What’s lurking in every ones’ mind is that we know the 10yo kid in 1999 was not the first or the last. That’s the horror in this story and this is what we reap after generations of diversity and acceptance being taught. It makes it easier for creeps like Sandusky to continue without being caught when kids are taught it’s ok, that the cute penguins do it that way and Bobby has 2 daddies. I always had a lot of respect for JoePa as a football coach. In that regard, it’s tough to see his career end like this, but he’s not the stand up guy he’s always portrayed himself to be.

Kissmygrits on November 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM

“I hope this is not what he will be remembered for.”

Really? Unbelieveable. Is a winning tradition in football so important that the rape of a ten year old is nothing?

texanpride on November 10, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Deanna on November 10, 2011 at 8:09 AM

The law, huh? How about the MORALITY.

katy the mean old lady on November 10, 2011 at 8:45 AM

What a surprise in the end, that the same university that would support the corruption of science (Michael Mann) in order to keep the cash flowing in, would also overlook child rape, in order to keep the cash flowing in.

It’s time we find out what the NCAA thinks is worse, trading personally owned swag for tattoos or aiding and abetting child rape.

It’s time we find out what the NCAA thinks is worse, inviting a recruit to a cookout, or raping that recruit’s little brother.

If an entire football program covering up, and allowing to continue child rape doesn’t deserve the death penalty, nothing does ever again.

MNHawk on November 10, 2011 at 8:51 AM

effective immediately.

Classless from the Board.

PappyD61 on November 10, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Never did like the egomaniac. Just another one who didn’t know when it was time to get off the stage.

pgrossjr on November 10, 2011 at 9:03 AM

No amount of football trophies or sports records is worth the destruction of children’s innocence by rape, no amount.

Ugly, I hear you and my heart goes out to you. It was not your fault. Some adult should have protected you just like some adult should have protected the children brought into the Penn State showers.

“All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to remain silent.” I have to question this, how “good” is a man or woman who remains silent when evil is prevailing?

Fallon on November 10, 2011 at 9:04 AM

I was wrong.

Earlier today, though, a friend on Twitter caught my eye with a Maureen Dowd column on the subject. She related the story to her own 10 year-old nephew, a Penn State fan. Here’s a brief, stomach-turning excerpt:

Paterno was told about it the day after it happened by Mike McQueary, a graduate assistant coach who testified that he went into the locker room one Friday night and heard rhythmic slapping noises. He looked into the showers and saw a naked boy about 10 years old “with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky,” according to the grand jury report.

The (cruelly) ironically named Paterno then passed the buck to another sick coward, and so on, and Sandusky had his locker room keys taken away.

Apparently Paterno KNEW ABOUT THIS and did nothing? I haven’t been following the case frankly. If Paterno knew and did nothing he’s an accessory to this crime.

Paterno………leaving in disgrace. WOW.

PappyD61 on November 10, 2011 at 9:07 AM

The breaking story regarding Sandusky an Penn state demonstrates the depravity allowed and even supported by all of those who knew but chose to put the University, their careers, and their desires above decency, morality, and keeping children safe. It shows a complete failure of the Institution and many of its leaders. The rioting last night by students demonstrates the University has also failed as an educational institution, for these collegiate adults demonstrated the same ignorance, stupidy, and lack of ethics and morality the university demonstrated in allowing the acts of Sandusky to continue. They chanted ‘We want Joe Pa’, putting the importance of their beloved coach over the well-beaing of the children that were victims as a result of Paterno not following through and ensuring Sandusky was put away long ago. Their priority was a football coach being able to coach one more football game rather than taking in the gravity of the entire situation that was perpetuated by this coach and the university. They turned over a news van and broke windows because Paterno would not be allowed to coach a game this saturday. WHERE was the equivalent outrage at the university and this coach for allowing this university and its facilities to be allowed to be used by a pedophile no longer even working for this institution to molest young boys?! Where is the equivalent outrage at the lost innocencse and crimes committed against these kids? The demonstrations and acts of both the University and its students last night are despicable, pathetic, and makes me nearly weep for our future.

easyt65 on November 10, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Can’t even imagine the horror the victims/their families re-live as they watch the Penn State students support for coach joe last night. I wonder if that will prevent other victims from coming forward?? Breaks my heart.

Arne Duncan should also look at Obama’s former Safe School czar, Kevin Jennings….

TN Mom on November 10, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Anyone…ANYONE…who knew about the acts being perpetrated by Sandusky and did not notify the police, who did not follow through with the information and instead sought to hide it or merely ‘pass it on along / report it’ and then forget about it needs to be FIRED! As far as the rioting students go, I hope video footage is used to identify every single one who engaged in violence, destruction of personal and private property, etc and is expelled from the school! To express such anger at a coach not being allowed to coach one more game or be fired because of this over the welfare of the victims, over the outrage of the crimes committed against vulnerable children while the University and coaches put their own careers and issues 1st is just pathetic!

easyt65 on November 10, 2011 at 9:24 AM

As the Clinton machine would say, “It’s just sex!”

How far down we’ve come and the fiscal right thinks our problems are just about economics.

Don L on November 10, 2011 at 9:37 AM

My son just graduated and still lives off campus at PSU. The students are distraught to think their hero/father/Joepa could have been so uncaring. They took to the streets out of frustration at seeing their school nearly destroyed by this and some hoped Joepa was not responsible, but they are wrong. All 4 had a hand in the coverup putting the burden on each other. The first misstep was Mcqueary for not wacking the crap out of Sandusky and calling the police. Just like the pussies at VA Tech who cowered in the corners while a lone gunman reloaded and ran away while a man cut a womans head off in the cantina. We have a generation of cowards afraid to speak up or take action when it is called for. I am disgusted.

faol on November 10, 2011 at 9:46 AM

State police commissioner Frank Noonan said, as far as state police can tell, Mr. Paterno fulfilled his legal requirement to report the alleged assault by telling his superiors at the university.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11313/1188557-143.stm#ixzz1dJWuLvlZ

Yes, he should’ve went the extra mile. Quit talking about Paterno.
Let’s use this opp to get fired up against pedophilers.
The punishment for pedophilia needs to be severe.
I prefer death penalty, but I would be satisfied with life in prison. I’m dead serious.

balkanmom on November 10, 2011 at 9:51 AM

In 2006, Governor Rendell signed Act 179 into law. Act 179 amended the CPSL to broaden the scope of the
mandatary reporting requirements. This most recent amendment imposes mandatary child abuse reporting obligations
on more individuals and broadens the definition of who is considered a perpetrator of child abuse.
These amendments
are discussed in greater detail in Part III. Also, in 1999, the Department of Public W elfare amended the Chapter 3490
regulations of T itle 55 Pennsylvania Code, which govern child protective services. It is important to note, however,
that the 1999 regulatory changes do not incorporate the 1998 or 2007 amendments to the CPSL. Instead, the 1999
modifications to Chapter 3490 reflect the 1994 amendments to the CPSL, which were reported in the fifth edition of
this manual. The Department of Public W elfare may soon be amending their 3490 regulations. The reader is referred
to the Juvenile Law Center website (www.jlc.org) for updates.

journeyintothewhirlwind on November 10, 2011 at 10:05 AM

And then there is this:

Sandusky was a great deceiver. In 1977 he founded a non-profit organization called Second Mile that was supposed to help at-risk children. In 1990 he was recognized by President George H.W. Bush as a “Point of Light.” Sandusky was living a double life. It is amazing how many people you can deceive, if you are first able to deceive yourself.

from a news article on Happy Valley.

journeyintothewhirlwind on November 10, 2011 at 10:26 AM

The law, huh? How about the MORALITY.

katy the mean old lady on November 10, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Oh, I agree. I was just clarifying what the law states. Everyone in this disgusting story is culpable, from the grad assistant on up.

Deanna on November 10, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Those of us sticking by Joe don’t believe he is an accessory.

And the debate about him in particular is over that issue.

listens2glenn on November 10, 2011 at 12:28 AM

The second he didn’t pick up the phone and call 911, he became an accessory. You should be embarrased.

katy the mean old lady on November 10, 2011 at 10:56 AM

JellyToast on November 10, 2011 at 6:39 AM

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 1:03 AM

I’m with all of you on this. If McQueary saw Sandusky forcing anal sex on a 10-year-old boy against a wall, he should have BOTH called the cops and tried to defend the boy by pulling Sandusky off the boy.

If the boy “had his hands up against a wall”, and Sandusky was forcing anal sex on him, since Sandusky is much taller than a 10-year-old boy, either Sandusky was holding the boy up, or else Sandusky was on his knees pinning the boy against the wall. Either way, a naked Sandusky would be vulnerable to attack from behind, if McQueary had FIRST called the cops, THEN tried to pull Sandusky off the boy from behind (or hit him with a hard object). The cops would then find a naked Sandusky fighting with a fully clothed McQueary, with the boy as a witness, leaving no doubt about who was telling the truth.

As a college freshman many years ago, I was confronted in the men’s showers by a gay student seeking sex, and the issue was settled when my knee met his cojones. This is what McQueary should have done to Sandusky.

Steve Z on November 10, 2011 at 11:16 AM

The fact that convicted sex offenders can re-offend is despicable.
Stronger punishments for pedophilers! Guilty of the most heinous crimes.

balkanmom on November 10, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I really hate to add to this, but according to the football message board my husband frequents, (it’s Nebraska’s “official” recruiting website) there are more than one respected poster on there saying we’ve only scratched the surface of the horror, and that the “Second Mile” charity that Sandusky ran is being investigated for possibly pimping out the children to large donors as well. I think we’ve only just begun to learn the depths of the depravity that took place for decades. I get angry if someone so much as hurts my 21-year-old daughter’s feelings, I can’t imagine how many families this has destroyed. :’(

Cornhusker on November 10, 2011 at 11:47 AM

That entire University needs to burn to the ground. I tried to get through the grand jury testimony, but I can’t. I hope every.single.one. of those rioters protesting Joe’s dismissal get hit by lightening.

Joe Paterno and everyone involved with that program who had the SLIGHTEST inkling of what truly went on in that department, and with those underprivileged boys, should and will BURN IN HELL.

Good luck getting through this. I couldn’t.

AttilaTheHun on November 10, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Ugly on November 10, 2011 at 3:17 AM

An obvious liar. I hate it when people make up false stories about horrible things like molestation just to try to make some kind of internet point. How do I know he is a liar?

1. He says “tried to prosecute” which means you call the cops and then the cops/DA take it from there. Then he says that his dad “lawyered up” and it would cost them tons of money. Prosecution does not cost the victims a dime. Looks like this fool got his civil and criminal courts mixed up. Watching too many bad tv dramas.

2. A real molestation victim wouldn’t use the language this guy used. It is so blase and callous. He is just trolling for an emotional response from other commenters. Sick.

Although it is true that many molesters go unpunished because the kids never tell anyone, once anyone utters a word of it to people outside the family, the cops get all over it very quickly. These kinds of cases are given very high priority and dads who touch their kids are often sentenced to life in prison.

kaltes on November 10, 2011 at 12:12 PM

The fact that convicted sex offenders can re-offend is despicable.
Stronger punishments for pedophilers! Guilty of the most heinous crimes.

balkanmom on November 10, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Sexual re-offense rates are among the lowest of any type of crime. Statistics show something like rates of 2% to 15% based on various criteria.

So what would you do, have the death penalty for all sex offenders, even the ones who do things like get caught drunk pissing in public, or who happen to be over 18 with an under 18 girlfriend, because a tiny fraction of them repeat offend?

You realize that something like 90% of sex crimes are 1st offenses?

The whole sex offender thing is a giant fraud that doesn’t protect anyone and makes the problem worse. The list of sex offense crimes is a mile long, and many don’t involve any actual victim.

And fyi, molestation and rape are very bad crimes, but murder, mutilation, torture, and several others are clearly worse. Just because you feel icky about a certain type of crime doesn’t mean all reason should be thrown out this window. This is why we have so much demagoguery with sex crimes.

kaltes on November 10, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Kaltes, thanks for the discussion. I’m glad you brought some of these issues up.

I’m talking about real offenders, not 19 year olds dating 17 year olds.

Taking innocence from kids (sodomizing 10 year olds, or raping your own daughter) is horrendous. Yes, throw the book at them.

I would say that true offenders (as referenced in paragraph 2) rarely are rehabilitated. There is something wrong in their souls.

Did I say that? I’ve known multiple people who have been molested. I have a friend who was raped by her own dad. I am dead serious about true offenders. They need to be locked up.

balkanmom on November 10, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Mike McQueary is going to coach this weekend?

This gets more f*cking offensive by the second.

Dave Rywall on November 10, 2011 at 1:04 PM

It’s so weird watching all these sports fans coming out and defending Paterno. Kids were being raped. These people deserve nothing but the strongest condemnation and censure.

lexhamfox on November 10, 2011 at 1:21 PM

They were rioting…because he got fired!? People have lost their minds on that campus.

The outcry should be because there apparently aren’t laws written that make it a felony for a failure to report these kinds of incidents to the police.

A true display that games, tradition, and programs are to remain a constant while moral depravity is to be relative.

anuts on November 10, 2011 at 1:40 PM

The Unabomber’s brother alerted the Feds. Hard to believe no one had the concscience to drop the dime on Sandusky.

BHO Jonestown on November 10, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar –

missing after this Penn State sex case landed on his desk, no body ever found, presumed/declared dead…

damn.

maverick muse on November 10, 2011 at 2:30 PM

as a poor Italian with a Brooklyn accent

Allahpundit

What does this have to do with the story?

Strike Twice on November 10, 2011 at 2:57 PM

kaltes on November 10, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Besides being a champion of pedos here, who the f@ck do you think you are?

hawkdriver on November 10, 2011 at 7:11 PM