Newt: That Pelosi ad was a bad idea, huh?

posted at 11:00 am on November 9, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Give Newt Gingrich a few points of credit.  First, he agreed to appear on Fox’s Center Seat, something not every Republican candidate will do (ahem, Mr. Inevitable). Second, Gingrich has learned that his tete a tete with Nancy Pelosi remains the single biggest obstacle to conservative support in this race — and third, he has a better and more honest approach to it than he did three months ago:

In 2008 former House Speaker Newt Gingrich appeared in a TV ad created by Al Gore’s Climate Reality Project with then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to urge action on anthropogenic climate change. Many conservatives were disappointed.

However, on Tuesday’s “Special Report” on the Fox News Channel, Gingrich — now a candidate for the Republican nomination for president — admitted it was a mistake for him to appear in the ad during the show’s “Center Seat” segment.

“First of all, that is probably the dumbest single thing I’ve done in years,” Gingrich said. “It is inexplicable that somebody used to say, ‘You know, there aren’t enough hay wagons to stand on to get people to understand that.’ You just need to relax and go, that was dumb.”

Panelist Charles Krauthammer asked Gingrich if he was being held hostage when the ad was filmed. Gingrich responded that he just made a mistake.

“No, that was dumb,” Gingrich said. “I was trying to do something I failed to do. I do think it’s important for conservative to be in the middle of the debate over the environment.”

Go back to the end of July, when Gingrich tried to blame this on conservatives “misconstru[ing]” his ad, to see how how much Newt has changed his approach on this issue. He now takes full responsibility for a dumb decision, perhaps taking a page from Tim Pawlenty in self-deprecation. Gingrich follows this with a good defense of his record in blocking action on the AGW agenda, both personally and through his American Solutions grassroots organization. That was also the organization that provided the “Drill Here Drill Now” action group in 2008 and beyond.

Could this mea culpa be good enough for conservatives to give Gingrich another look? At least it’s a step in the right direction.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

My two favourite guys in the race, Newt and Cain, are probably both sleazes.

My least favourite politician, Obama, seems a good family man – or if he has been up to something slimy, it hasn’t been reported (and I doubt if it ever will).

What am I to do?

Johnny 100 Pesos on November 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM

It was very dumb. Then Newt went on to exacerbate the damage when he defended his chat with Nancy claiming that he was only saying that we should talk about global warming, but simply listening to the ad you heard straight from Newt’s lips that he was demanding “action.”

Newt’s alliance with Al Gore and Nancy, his support of Dede Scozzafava and another more recent bit of stupidity that I can’t recall at the moment along with his messy personal life prevent me from voting for Newt.

When Newt is good, he’s very good, but when he gets stupid, the Democrats will pile on and pass it as law and we’ll be stuck with it.

No Thanks!

RJL on November 9, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Does anyone else remember Gingrich’s “debate” with John Kerry over AGW several years ago? He basically agreed with the “science” and started from the premise that AGW was real and needed to be dealt with (which really surprised Kerry), but that we needed smart Conservative-style solutions to tackle the problem.

Given the fact that with Cain imploding, and the amount of past quotes I have seen from Romney that show how liberal he was in the past and therefore I’m not sure I trust him in the future, Newt may be our only hope, so I’m starting to reconsider whether I can forgive him for his AGW (and other) indiscretions enough to support him. At least we would get a good debater that should know how to not implode and has been, overall, reliably and sufficiently conservative.

Darn the Republican field that I have to go down this road!

willamettevalley on November 9, 2011 at 4:21 PM

The recent bit of stupidity you can’t remember was probably when Newt stabbed the House Republicans in the back on national TV. Something about “this is not the time to undertake social engineering projects.” It’s just another example of Newt betraying his old friends to make new friends.

Fred 2 on November 9, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Please, no one remind me about the Dede Scozzafava situation. I’m trying my best to like Newt again. I’m getting desperate.

willamettevalley on November 9, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I’d much rather Romney come out and say that he screwed up. Instead he dances around the massive failure of RomneyCare and his stance on AGW. JUST SAWY YOU WERE WRONG!

ReaganWasRight on November 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Absolutely! Instead, Romney comes off as an arrogant fool… and yet somehow we’re to believe that our arrogant fool will be so much better than their arrogant fool!

I’m sorry… who are the fools again? …err, who’s being fooled again?

dominigan on November 9, 2011 at 5:01 PM

What am I to do?

Johnny 100 Pesos on November 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Are you kidding? Obama was a virgin until Michelle got hold of him. Not a single woman even dated him, or thought about dating him, apparently.

disa on November 9, 2011 at 5:09 PM

welcome all politicians to learn the truth about climate change so that they can see how it’s build on junk science…excuse me….post-modern science science.

blink on November 9, 2011 at 4:26 PM

FIFY.

disa on November 9, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Cain’s alleged womanizing will help soften Newt’s marriage problems.

phreshone on November 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Just like gropers look good when placed in the middle of a circle of rapists? What kind of logic is this?

I don’t like cheats and sleazebags. If you can’t be faithful to your wife, or have the decency to get a divorce BEFORE taking up with another woman, how are you going to handle the pressure of expediency and convenience in the WH?

disa on November 9, 2011 at 5:16 PM

I might have if he had stopped at “it was stupid” but then he spent the next five minutes talking about how ALL the real scientists agree it exists and we need to have a “market” solution to it. BS. He knows it’s hurt him but he’s too arrogant to realize he was wrong on the substance, not just the tactics. Sorry Newt but there’s not enough room in this country for your head and the rest of us. Anyone have a continent sized pin?

jnelchef on November 9, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Newt: That Pelosi ad was a bad idea, huh?

Yep.

Give Newt Gingrich a few points of credit.

Looked around for a few points of credit to give him. Only found one.

and third, he has a better and more honest approach

Now that he has a better and more honest approach – Vote Newt!

Heh.