Newt: That Pelosi ad was a bad idea, huh?

posted at 11:00 am on November 9, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Give Newt Gingrich a few points of credit.  First, he agreed to appear on Fox’s Center Seat, something not every Republican candidate will do (ahem, Mr. Inevitable). Second, Gingrich has learned that his tete a tete with Nancy Pelosi remains the single biggest obstacle to conservative support in this race — and third, he has a better and more honest approach to it than he did three months ago:

In 2008 former House Speaker Newt Gingrich appeared in a TV ad created by Al Gore’s Climate Reality Project with then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to urge action on anthropogenic climate change. Many conservatives were disappointed.

However, on Tuesday’s “Special Report” on the Fox News Channel, Gingrich — now a candidate for the Republican nomination for president — admitted it was a mistake for him to appear in the ad during the show’s “Center Seat” segment.

“First of all, that is probably the dumbest single thing I’ve done in years,” Gingrich said. “It is inexplicable that somebody used to say, ‘You know, there aren’t enough hay wagons to stand on to get people to understand that.’ You just need to relax and go, that was dumb.”

Panelist Charles Krauthammer asked Gingrich if he was being held hostage when the ad was filmed. Gingrich responded that he just made a mistake.

“No, that was dumb,” Gingrich said. “I was trying to do something I failed to do. I do think it’s important for conservative to be in the middle of the debate over the environment.”

Go back to the end of July, when Gingrich tried to blame this on conservatives “misconstru[ing]” his ad, to see how how much Newt has changed his approach on this issue. He now takes full responsibility for a dumb decision, perhaps taking a page from Tim Pawlenty in self-deprecation. Gingrich follows this with a good defense of his record in blocking action on the AGW agenda, both personally and through his American Solutions grassroots organization. That was also the organization that provided the “Drill Here Drill Now” action group in 2008 and beyond.

Could this mea culpa be good enough for conservatives to give Gingrich another look? At least it’s a step in the right direction.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I forgive him because he got off the couch before they started necking.

portlandon on November 9, 2011 at 11:03 AM

If Romney ever admitted he had been wrong he’d be polling better by now. Instead he makes everyone think they’re crazy for accurately remembering his previous actions.

amerpundit on November 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I’ll take Newt over Mittens any friggin’ day of the week.

Period.

Tim_CA on November 9, 2011 at 11:05 AM

When you handle vipers, don’t act surprised when you get bitten…

BIG LAPSE IN JUDGEMENT, Newt… VERY BIG LAPSE…

Khun Joe on November 9, 2011 at 11:05 AM

The couch was getting a little warm, but was it AGW?

profitsbeard on November 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM

rmmm… don’t know. Is Herman Cain a dirty lech?

somewhatconcerned on November 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Gawd… such talent!! And yet such appetites!!

Worthy of a Greek tragedy…

JohnGalt23 on November 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM

His continued support for amnesty won’t help either.

Jon0815 on November 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Heartfelt apologies go a long way…….Americans are a very forgiving people.
Are you listening Mr Cain?!?

tencole on November 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM

No Newt, this was the dumbest thing you’ve ever done.

Newt Gingrich: I Screwed Around On My Wives Because I Love This Country So Much

Knucklehead on November 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Like we have a choice now? Oh, right, Sarah might still run.

Seth Halpern on November 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I have been giving Newt a hard look for the past month. So far I like what I see. So far.

Kataklysmic on November 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM

At least Gingrich is saying he might be wrong what say you MITT about romneycare ?

William Amos on November 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Nancy Pelosi to hold a press conference saying if that had been Herman Cain on the couch, it would’ve been sexual harassment as their legs were touching.

SouthernGent on November 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Would LOVE to see him in a debate setting against Obama. But I just don’t know…..I’ll take him over Romney though.

jjjdad on November 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM

“Guys guys, forget about what I said then , what do you want me to tell you today?”

the_nile on November 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Now if he can just explain the DeDe Scozzawhatever endorsement….

VBMax on November 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM

No Newt, this was the dumbest thing you’ve ever done.

Newt Gingrich: I Screwed Around On My Wives Because I Love This Country So Much

Knucklehead on November 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Heh. Yeah, I think you are right on that one.

Kataklysmic on November 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM

In his answer though, he basically stated the science was settled. So while he was monumentally stupid in sitting on the couch with Nancy, he still believes in global warming.

That he opposed an economic travesty is not proof he’s not a believer.

Darksean on November 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Well, since apparently due to this blogs and other’s efforts we will be stuck with a Mitt or a Newt. I guess I can forgive Newt, because if these are our choices I’m going with the obviously smarter guy.

gator70 on November 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Give Newt Gingrich a few points of credit

Absolutely not. Are we to tut tut Gringrich’s every “OOPS! GUESS LEGITMIZING DEMOCRAT LIES WASNT SO HOT FOR MY POLITICAL CAREER” snafu?

Jeddite on November 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM

William Amos on November 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Has Gingrich said he was wrong to support an individual mandate- not just for one state, but for the entire country?

Jon0815 on November 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Time to start attcking Newt so that we will be left with no other choice than McCain, er…I mean Romney.

gator70 on November 9, 2011 at 11:11 AM

This is my beef with Romney. Positions change over time. Mine certainly aren’t what they were 20 years ago.

I’d much rather Romney come out and say that he screwed up. Instead he dances around the massive failure of RomneyCare and his stance on AGW. JUST SAW YOU WERE WRONG!

ReaganWasRight on November 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Now, Newt, torch the couch!

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Newt has earned a lot of goodwill lately. And saying he’s sorry for the horrible Pleosi & Newt on the Bench Ad is probably the best thing he can do.

At least he’s not saying he thinks his State-wide Health Care Plan was a great idea and he’s sticking to it.

Nethicus on November 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Gingrich has made some pretty big errors. But really no more than the other viable options.

Romney has a slew of previous positions, Perry has immigration and other controversial positions, and Cain can’t defend his way out of a paper bag nor stick to a position on abortion, Gitmo trades, etc..

Gingrich at least is a tough debater, voters don’t see him as threatening, and he has the ability to say sorry.

So I’m giving him a second look.

amerpundit on November 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Newt!

crash72 on November 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Honesty.

princetrumpet on November 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I’ll take Newt over Mittens any friggin’ day of the week.

Period.

Tim_CA on November 9, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Same.

I have never voted for a Democrat for President and I refuse to break that tradition by voting for Romney.

ButterflyDragon on November 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I’d vote Gingrich over Obama. I’ll hate him when he pulls the usual cheap political bone throwing that all elected officials must, but when push comes to shove he’s just plain smarter, and on the issue of the environment is the only viable republican even CLOSE to my views.

ernesto on November 9, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Jon0815 on November 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Yes. He also said it’s unconstitutional on the federal level and just bad policy overall. He said it last night on Special Report (the aftershow, I think).

amerpundit on November 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Newt let the Democrats force him out of the speakers position. Will he have the intestinal fortitude to stand up to them as president?

chicken thief on November 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM

ernesto on November 9, 2011 at 11:14 AM

You do know that Gingrich is pretty white, right?

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM

chicken thief on November 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Right now he seems to be the only one standing up to the machine … well, in a coherent manner.

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2011 at 11:16 AM

His continued support for amnesty won’t help either.

Jon0815 on November 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM

And ethanol subsidies.

Knucklehead on November 9, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Flip flop… Flip flop….

What about right wing social engineering?
Gingrich is apparently now courting the tea party…I guess courting the mods didn’t work. ?

To his credit, Gingrich is willing to take the hotseat on Fox’s Center Seat.

Romney is not available for comment.

balkanmom on November 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Sorry Newt; That horse has left the barn, no point in locking the door now.

There was no GOOD reason why you should have done it, no matter what your stupid opinion on the subject was at the time. You had to go to a lot of effort to do that stupid thing; you had plenty of time to think about it; It wasn’t a spur of the moment situation involving too much alcohol.

I’m afraid that I can’t trust you at all anymore. McCain talks conservative too, during the campaign season. But as soon as the election over he goes back to his old ways.

I’ll tell ya what. Spend the next four years doing commercials with the WattsUp guys, attempting to restore sanity and I’ll vote for you in 2016.

LegendHasIt on November 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM

My biggest problem with Newt is that he throws silly great sounding ideas out there and no one calls him on it. Like his idea to put those on 99 weeks of unemployment into ‘privately funding training’. But it won’t be privately funded and it doesn’t address that unemployment should be 6-8 weeks not 99 weeks in the first place.

It also shows that Newt’s first instinct is to solve a problem created by government with a government program.

But I still think he’s going to win the nomination. Let’s face it, the rest of the line up is terrible. And most people have their brains turned off most of the time, so progressive policies such as the above are easy sells to the GOP.

jhffmn on November 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM

ernesto on November 9, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Hey…are you trying to do that reverse psychology thing?

ReaganWasRight on November 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Baggage and all, he is still the guy who orchestrated the Contract with America, one of the most effective large-scale political moves of the last 30 years. Now if only he had been able to keep Billy Jeff from stealing credit for the results…

In the end, character matters, and if we can rightly be outraged by the behavior of Clinton, then we must accept and concur with similar outrage over Newt’s personal behavior. The bar is not moved by saying that Clinton committed his (admitted) infidelities while he was a sitting President. Cheating on your wife is cheating on your wife, no matter who you are.

Newt is smart, wonkish, and aside from some odd ideas, a solid conservative. The kind of mind who should have the ear of leadership. But he has lost the credibility required to have that leadership.

Freelancer on November 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM

amerpundit on November 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Newt has been very strong on repealing obambicare from the beginning. just one of the many reasons to like him.

VegasRick on November 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM

blockquote>I forgive him because he got off the couch before they started necking and before shoving his hand up her skirt.

portlandon on November 9, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. With the Cain and Paterno threads, my mind’s in the gutter today.

BuckeyeSam on November 9, 2011 at 11:19 AM

amerpundit on November 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Good. Of course, if he were Romney, that and his AGW reversal would just get him denounced as a flip flopper.

Jon0815 on November 9, 2011 at 11:20 AM

What does he mean “mistake”? Either he believes in AGW, or not. And in that ad he said he does. So either he believes in AGW and is lying now that he doesn’t, or he didn’t then and was lying that he did.

Either way he’s shown that he will lie if he thinks it helps his cause. Ergo, he is a typical career politician.

keep the change on November 9, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Flip flop… Flip flop….

What about right wing social engineering?

***

balkanmom on November 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM

He had a pretty good response to that last night. I was ticked off about that too.

BuckeyeSam on November 9, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Flip flop… Flip flop….

What about right wing social engineering?

***

balkanmom on November 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM

What about supporting the individual mandate?

Knucklehead on November 9, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Jon0815 on November 9, 2011 at 11:20 AM

No. Flip-flopping isn’t admitting your previous position was wrong and changing it.

Reagan was an FDR Democrat who signed into law legislation as governor that ended up expanding abortions. He wasn’t a flip-flopper because he admitted he was wrong and seemed to authentically change.

Romney’s problem is that he switches between positions just because one is more popular. He insists he never wanted RomneyCare-style reform for the nation but the first edition of his book said he did. He edited that out when it became unpopular.

Now, despite video and records of him supporting amnesty, he plays himself up as the anti-amnesty crusader. And if you question that, well, you’re just crazy.

Romney’s problem is a lack of authenticity. It’s part of the reason why people make software and robot jokes about him. They don’t believe him. He changes like a computer (binary and unapologetic) rather than like a human.

amerpundit on November 9, 2011 at 11:26 AM

No Newt, this was the dumbest thing you’ve ever done.

Newt Gingrich: I Screwed Around On My Wives Because I Love This Country So Much

Knucklehead on November 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM

He must love the USA more than any person on earth.

tetriskid on November 9, 2011 at 11:26 AM

ReaganWasRight on November 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Nope. I’m young enough not to have a personal grudge against him for the Clinton era political fiasco, and I’ve always preferred policy wonk types. Gingrich is obviously someone willing to honestly articulate his thought process on a given issue, which is something we haven’t had since god knows when.

ernesto on November 9, 2011 at 11:27 AM

His problem is that there are only 3 reasons to be a proponent of AGW.

1) Greed – example – Al Gore, GE, and all those feeding in the grant trough.

2) Ignorance – example – The vast majority of those on the left who strongly believe in AGW, simply because that is what they are told to believe.

3) Ideology – example – Holdren, who wants to ‘de-develop’ the US economy, and Chu who wants $10/gallon gas (hey, what better way to ‘de-develop’ the US economy!). The true socialists/communists on the far left.

Newt’s problem is that, his actions firmly cast him into one of these groups.

Mashman on November 9, 2011 at 11:29 AM

How about implying another Republican doing “right wing social engineering”. Before I take another look at Gingrich he’d better apologize to Ryan for shooting off his mouth before engaging his brain. He’s supposed to be brilliant, prove it.

TulsAmerican on November 9, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Had he brought up ClimateGate or used the word Fraud, I would feel better about Newt.

To this day, I still have not seen one prediction of the Earth’s temperature that was correct. The Global cooling/warming/climate change people keep changing their stories, while the people who don’t buy that crap say the Earth naturally changes. When the warming stopped, the Hypothesis could not advance to a Theory. And suddenly, the people who said the Earth has natural variances, were correct that it can warm then stop, then cool then stop.

I guess I’m a stickler for the Scientific Method, but until they can make prolonged predictions year after year after year that are accurate, no law should be passed to do anything. (Smog, litter, etc. is something else)

jeffn21 on November 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Every candidate deserves a mulligan. Although the Paul Ryan remark was far worse than this ad since that happened the first week of his campaign, while this ad was made years ago.

Doughboy on November 9, 2011 at 11:32 AM

We have two major political parties – Democrats and Republicans. Democrats are the evil party and display there evilness daily. The Republicans are the stupid party, because they believe that Democrats want what is best for this country and have good intentions. They are proven wrong over and over again, but keep hoping that next time will be different.

Dasher on November 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM

BIG LAPSE IN JUDGEMENT, Newt… VERY BIG LAPSE…

Khun Joe on November 9, 2011 at 11:05 AM

..click on the video and this time REALLY WATCH IT. How many times does he have to say it was a mistake?

The War Planner on November 9, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Anybody seen Mitt lately..?

d1carter on November 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Paul Ryan remark was far worse
Doughboy on November 9, 2011 at 11:32 AM

aka right wing social engineering!

In my opinion, it’s terrible, pragmatic, and not driven by core convictions. And, as a career politician, he has had multiple decades to solidify his positions.

I think I’ll pass.

balkanmom on November 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I forgive him because he got off the couch before they started necking.

portlandon

SO not going to be able to sleep tonight…

tree hugging sister on November 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Its come down to which flawed candidate is the best flawed candidate. I have big problems with all of them. You can tear any one of them apart on something important and the media and DNC are sharpening the knives for the nominee. The whole thing is disheartening. I dont see Newts negatives as being any better or worse than anyone elses. If we could take Mitts squeaky clean background with Cains personal story and Charisma Newts debating skills and policy experience Perrys job creating record and mix them all together we would have the perfect candidate. That said I want the person who can beat Obama because clearly a republican congress will not stop him from doing whatever the hell he wants

ldbgcoleman on November 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM

After they finish off Cain, Newt will be next.

I wonder if HA will be onboard for that little politics of personal destruction crusade too…

pseudonominus on November 9, 2011 at 11:47 AM

And you think its just a coincidence that Gingrich is also switching to the more popular position?

No he doesn’t. He’s simply pointed out specific immigration-related issues where he and Rick Perry disagree. And, for that matter have always disagreed: Romney vetoed in-state tuition when he was MA governor, and has never opposed the fence and E-Verify. And he’s always been more conservative than Perry on immigration in general, since Perry supported amnesty too.

And yet he’s much more likable than Gingrich, who loses to Obama by an average of 10 points.

Jon0815 on November 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Its come down to which flawed candidate is the best flawed candidate. I have big problems with all of them…… That said I want the person who can beat Obama because clearly a republican congress will not stop him from doing whatever the hell he wants

ldbgcoleman on November 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM

And yet, every candidate is better than BHO. Good question: which one can beat him? Hmmm… Bob Beckel says that the dems don’t want Romney on the ticket; they are scared of him.
Earth to conservatives: Do not vote for Romney!

balkanmom on November 9, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Just heard some pundits talking about Gingrich being this year’s Hillary, meaning with known baggage.

Unfortunately(*), Hillary lost.

*Who knows if America would be better or worse off under Hillary. She’s definitely more radical than Bill was.

Fallon on November 9, 2011 at 11:51 AM

balkanmom on November 9, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Yep, they want to take his past positions and smack us across the face with them.

gator70 on November 9, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Earth to conservatives: Do not vote for Romney!

balkanmom on November 9, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Romney is a proven loser. Gingrich has the intellect needed to defeat Obama. Cain has the charisma needed. The question is if either one were nominated, could they use their gifts to beat Obama?

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Gingrich has handled this AGW issue much better than Leonard Huntsman.

Dr Evil on November 9, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I forgive him because he got off the couch before they started necking.

portlandon

SO not going to be able to sleep tonight…

tree hugging sister on November 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I am going to need some brain bleach…..

Dr Evil on November 9, 2011 at 11:58 AM

New-t!

aquaviva on November 9, 2011 at 12:00 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I think Cain is the most winsome candidate. More likeable than BHO.
If Perry could debate better, he could be a shoe in, too.
IMHO.

balkanmom on November 9, 2011 at 12:04 PM

One footbullet “removed” (sorta) … seven to go.

OhioCoastie on November 9, 2011 at 12:06 PM

No. Which means that we’ll be forced to endure the second coming of John McCain Mitt Romney. And that means that vast swaths of conservatives will stay home come November 2012.

Physics Geek on November 9, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Now, I remember another reason I just can’t hop over to Newt…

He tried to shove Ethan Hastert, Denny’s son, down our throats.

Fallon on November 9, 2011 at 12:10 PM

My concern wasn’t only that Newt seemed to be an AGW nut, but that even if he didn’t support it he was trying too hard to play nice in the political sandbox. I think the latter offense is more forgivable than the former. Newt is, by far, the smartest guy in the room, and probably closer in spirit and intellect to the more notable Framers than anyone currently running.

Cain or Newt–I’d be happy to vote for either man.

pugwriter on November 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I feel this way as well. Between the two, I feel that Newt would be better.

Nineball on November 9, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I’ll take Newt… Not perfect… But damned good.
I’ve dated one or two ‘hope there are no pictures’ women in my time… Live and learn. Newt is rapidly going to become the best alternative to Mitt…
Sad to say, Cain is going to be bruised beyond repair unless a smoking gun that shows lies and deception by the accusers is found…
I’ll take Newt… Not perfect… But damned good.

RalphyBoy on November 9, 2011 at 12:16 PM

His continued support for amnesty won’t help either.

Jon0815 on November 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Very good point.

I think that Newt will beat Romney because Romney will not take a position on anything.

I will not, under any circumstances, vote for Romney and I probably not vote for Newt.

I voted on a write-in basis in yesterday’s local mayoral race and I will do it for the Presidential election next year if the GOP/RNC nominee is a neocon RINO.

THe GOP needs me (and the millions of people like me) more than I need it.

molonlabe28 on November 9, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I feel this way as well. Between the two, I feel that Newt would be better.

Nineball on November 9, 2011 at 12:12 PM

You guys give up too fast.
Come on!

balkanmom on November 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Newt is not as pure as many would like. But there is not now, nor will there ever be, a perfect candidate. Stop looking for one.

lynncgb on November 9, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Wow, we finally get a post dedicated to Newt.

Than you, Ed.

Demosthenes on November 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Disappointed
doesn’t begin to cover it, Mr. Gingrich.

Tell me again about your attitude towards the Tea Party in 2009…

disa on November 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM

That “couch thing” with Nancy Pelosi… check!

Now how about that Scozzafava (sp?) thing?

mauipundit on November 9, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Now how about that Scozzafava (sp?) thing?

mauipundit on November 9, 2011 at 12:26 PM

disa on November 9, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I can forgive him for getting on the couch with her, but I can’t forgive him for putting his hand up her skirt or trying to force her head down to his crotch.

Kensington on November 9, 2011 at 12:33 PM

disa on November 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Nice to see we’re on the same page.

mauipundit on November 9, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Newt is an establishment republican, that doesn’t mean that he is a rino. He’s got very conservative ideas, but isn’t always a reliable conservative, I’d take Newt over Mitt any day of the week. Mitt isn’t reliable at all, if you want to know which way Mitt will go on an issue spin a weather vane.

drewmesq on November 9, 2011 at 12:40 PM

But wait, there’s more!

From Drudge:

60 MINUTES Expected to Air Investigation of Pelosi Stock Investments…

Whatwhatwhat? Since when does the media investigate liberals?

The world really is coming to an end!!

disa on November 9, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Nice to see we’re on the same page.

mauipundit on November 9, 2011 at 12:39 PM

And at the same time!

disa on November 9, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Say Newt, tell me about that “social engineering from the right” comment you made, vis a vis the Ryan plan.

disa on November 9, 2011 at 12:51 PM

The War Planner on November 9, 2011 at 11:36 AM

It doesn’t matter how many times he says it. If he is sincere one time should be enough. However, Newt clearly plays both sides of the fence here in order to leave his options open. He throws bones to conservatives by mentioning fluctuations in temperature in the past, but he also chides us for thinking these climate-change scientists are a bunch of frauds without acknowledging two important things:

1) Climategate.
2) Continued political funding for climate-based research (with strings attached).

He doesn’t admit that conservatives/skeptics are extremely justified in their positions, but rather chides them for assuming “automatically the entire National Academy of Sciences is wrong.” It’s not that they are wrong Newt…it’s that they are bought.

Pattosensei on November 9, 2011 at 12:53 PM

drewmesq on November 9, 2011 at 12:40 PM

We need a reliable conservative in the WH who will do what s/he is elected to do, not an establishment politician.

Yes, I said “s/he.” Wanna make something of it?

disa on November 9, 2011 at 12:53 PM

disa on November 9, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Yeah, Newt, how about that Ryan plan?

Oh, and why did you have to be a jerk to my mom at Borders when she got a picture taken with you in Kahului?

mauipundit on November 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM

To his credit, he did not double down on a horrible mistake like someone does repeated;y with Romneycare.

Valiant on November 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM

No, Newt it wasn’t dumb. It was a look into your heart. You wanted to be one of the cool kids who make all the decisions and if you had to abandon your old friends so be it. Now that the AGW fraud was been revealed you abandon them too.

So why exactly should we believe you will stick to your latest really great ideas any more than you stuck to all those other really great ideas? Remember folks, the next time the tide turns, Newt is out of here.

Fred 2 on November 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Everyone forgets that Newt parlayed his romp on the couch into an invitation, by the House Dems, to testify in the AGW hearings. At which he proceeded to decimate the hearings…

Cain’s alleged womanizing will help soften Newt’s marriage problems.

phreshone on November 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM

If I might repeat myself (posted on the other Newt thread). . .

I’m at least somewhat relieved to hear Newt say that ad with Miz Pelosi was “stupid.” I still don’t think he understands the political agenda behind the ‘global warming’/’climate change’ scam. If there’s anyone reading this thread from the Gingrich campaign, please sit Newt down with WattsUpWithThat.com, make him peruse the posts and comments daily, and have him read some of the references in the right column.

Newt is very bright, and a quick study. He just needs to learn why proclamations from the National Academy of Sciences and other in-the-tank establishments are not only erroneous, but dangerously misleading, because they are agenda-driven. You can’t do good science in service to a political agenda, ever.

MrLynn on November 9, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Cain’s alleged womanizing will help soften Newt’s marriage problems.

phreshone on November 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Really? I will have to research that. If you are right, that is a feather in Newt’s cap.

Kataklysmic on November 9, 2011 at 1:47 PM

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal’s editorial page the day after the Meet the Press appearance, Gingrich backtracked somewhat. He said he had “probably used too strong language” on the show, though he added, “I have thought about this for a long time and I am very, very worried. … I think it would be politically catastrophic to pass the bill in its current form,” at a moment when conservatives have an opportunity “to break the left for the first time since 1932.”

So Gingrich indicated to the Wall Street Journal that he’d overstated his view, but still thought that it would be “politically catastrophic to pass the bill in its current form.”

Yet there was more to come.

As a wave of criticism built, mostly from conservatives outraged at his failure to fully back Ryan’s proposal, Gingrich went on Fox News Channel’s On the Record with Greta Van Susteren on May 17, 2011, to extend and clarify his remarks.

“I made a mistake,” Gingrich said. “And I called Paul Ryan today, who’s a very close personal friend and I said that. The fact is that I have supported what Ryan has tried to do on the budget. The fact is that my newsletter strongly praised the budget when he brought it out. And the budget vote is one that I’m happy to say I would have voted for. I will defend and I will be glad to answer any Democrat who attempts to distort what I said. And I made a simple mistake. …

“So, let me say on the record: Any ad which quotes what I said Sunday is a falsehood and because I have said publicly, those words were inaccurate and unfortunate. And I’m prepared to stand up — when I make a mistake, and I’m going to on occasion, I want to stand up and share with the American people, that was a mistake, because that way, we can have an honest conversation.”

In other words, Gingrich used the appearance with Van Susteren to back away from any suggestion that he would have voted against the Ryan plan.

As we indicated, a close reading of the Meet the Press transcript shows that Gingrich never precisely said that he would have voted against the Ryan plan. But he certainly made clear that he thought a key provision of the plan — the changes to Medicare — were “too big a jump” for him to support. And by saying on Van Susteren’s show that he “made a mistake” in his Meet the Press comments — a big enough mistake that he felt a need to call Ryan and smooth things over — it seems like a tacit admission of a flip-flop.

We do think that, taken as a whole, there has been more nuance to Gingrich’s stance than some of the coverage has indicated. But his philosophical travels — from the full-throated Facebook endorsement in 2010, to qualified endorsements in the Time interview and at the Brookings conference, to the downbeat assessment on Meet the Press, to the hasty re-endorsement on Van Susteren’s show — indicate that Gingrich’s support for the Ryan proposal has ebbed and flowed over time.

Gingrich seems to have gone full circle in his views on the proposal, and it qualifies in our book as a Full Flop.

From Politifact.com