Mark Block: Did you know that the son of Cain’s accuser works for Politico?

posted at 10:05 pm on November 8, 2011 by Allahpundit

I did not know that. He’s, er … not thinking of Josh Kraushaar, is he?

“Her son works at POLITICO,” Block said of Karen Kraushaar, whose name POLITICO printed earlier today after other media outlets made her identity public…

Block appeared to be referring to former POLITICO reporter Josh Kraushaar, who left for another outlet, National Journal, in 2010.

Josh Kraushaar tweeted earlier in the day, apparently after getting questions, that he’s in fact not related to Karen Kraushaar, and simply has the same last name.

Josh Kraushaar is tweeting in disbelief tonight:

Mark Block must get his facts from Internet comment boards, based on comments to @hannity. Not related to Karen K and don’t work at Politico

For a presidential spokesman to go on TV and make up blatant falsehoods doesn’t speak well for his boss, either.

The only positive benefit about being smeared by Mark Block on Hannity is I’m getting 100 new Twitter followers a minute.

Could a man who accused Rick Perry on national television of a “despicable” smear only to back off from it the next day really be so careless with the facts?

Prediction: You’re going to see three camps quickly emerge on this story. Camp one: “I can’t believe Block threw that accusation out there without confirming it.” Camp two: “Maybe … Block was thinking of another reporter?” (Some Cainiacs are already tweeting this.) Camp three: “Josh Kraushaar is lying; he really is Karen’s son. Where’s the birth certificate?” Place your bets now, as Block’s sure to be forced to clarify tomorrow what he meant. Click the image to watch.

Update (Ed): After last week’s aborted accusation against Rick Perry as being the leaker of this story and now this “epic facepalm,” as one of my Twitter followers called this, Mark Block has to go.  If he’s not gone by tomorrow, no one will take this campaign seriously again — nor should they.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

You’re wasting your time. Some of my favorite commenters fell for this clown’s act. Why? What on earth are they thinking? He’s a fool and a lowlife.

We must be really desperate.

Jaibones on November 9, 2011 at 1:00 AM

With our current field of fools, I can’t tell which @$$clown you’re you’re refering to.

Laura in Maryland on November 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I am begging Marco Rubio to adopt a policy where he is never in a room alone with a woman not his wife.

Cindy Munford on November 9, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Just wait until after I’m done with him, ok? ;-)

RepubChica on November 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM

This is unbelievable. Haven’t we all learned the lesson from Obama that we don’t need inexperienced people running for President?

Is that what we want to run against Obama?

skatz51 on November 9, 2011 at 9:41 AM

RepubChica on November 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Are you patriotic like Newt?

Cindy Munford on November 9, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Can anyone name any specific allegation from ANY of these women that has been disproven?

I can’t name a single one.

However … here’s my list of CONFIRMED LIES told by the Cain campaign …

1. In reference to the two complaints at NRA over a decade ago … Cain has repeatedly referred to these women as “anonymous” – that’s an outright lie. Their identities aren’t KNOWN to us – but they, or at least one – is WELL KNOWN to Cain. I’m sorry, but when you know the name of the woman – she’s not “anonymous”. Both women filed these complaints at the NRA and they used their names. NRA negotiated settlements with these women. I’ll give Cain a pass on one – that he says he knew nothing of – but the other? No, he knew her.

2. “The settlement was for three months pay, maybe two” – LIE, BOTH settlements were for ONE YEARS PAY!

3. “Rick Perry planted this story” – LIE, based on the fact that this is a “baseless allegation” and has been proven as such. Cain had no evidence to back up his accusation that Perry planted this story with Politico.

4. “The Democratic Party planted this story” – LIE, again – based on nothing more than speculation. Some people will say this isn’t a lie – because it hasn’t been PROVEN that the Dims didn’t plant the story. However, it hasn’t been proven that I didn’t plant the story. It hasn’t been proven that Cain’s WIFE didn’t plant the story. Cain has a much evidence against the Democratic party as he does against Allahpundit. When you make accusations based on thin air – they are LIES.

5. “This woman’s son works for Politico” – LIE … the guy he was referring to neither works at Politico – nor is he related to the woman in question.

Now … some of these LIES were told by Cain’s head campaign manager, Mark Block. I don’t care – the Captain is always held responsible for the grounding of his ship – and Cain is the captain of the USS CAINLUSIONAL. And besides, he’s neither fired Mark Block for his comments against Rick Perry – nor has Cain or anyone else in the Cainlusional campaign apologized to Rick Perry. Apologies are in order here – and Herman Cain isn’t a big enough man to offer one in this case. Doesn’t speak well for Cain.

And … as long as Mark Block works for Saint Herman – then it’s perfectly right for us to subscribe Block’s comments to Cain himself.

HondaV65 on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Yep, I’ve pretty disgusted with 20+% of conservatives. It was clear since May that he wasn’t a serious candidate. And they not only fell for him they fell hard.

Aslans Girl on November 9, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Running against Perry is like running against God. Everything breaks his way! Either he’s the luckiest guy in the world or the Lord is taking care of him. [...]

TheRightMan on November 9, 2011 at 1:12 AM

MadisonConservative on November 9, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I can’t name a single one.

HondaV65 on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Can you or anyone name any specific allegation from ANY of these women that has been proven?

I can’t name a single one.

MadisonConservative on November 9, 2011 at 10:05 AM

HondaV65 on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM

It’s not Cain’s job to disprove anything. Can you name any specific allegation from either of the two women who have come forward that has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt? Didn’t think so, Champ.

gryphon202 on November 9, 2011 at 10:05 AM

HondaV65 on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Yep. Even though I’m a waning Cain supporter, and I’ve got to agree with you there.

Laura in Maryland on November 9, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Cain also made a bit of a gaffe when speaking to the press, saying something along the lines of, “When heard about this, I was sitting in a hotel room with some of my staffers, and I thought that…”

Dude, avoid using the terms hotel room and staffers in the same sentence.

Laura in Maryland on November 9, 2011 at 10:08 AM

MadisonConservative on November 9, 2011 at 10:04 AM

If he’s going to stand a snowball’s chance, he needs to get some expert advice and heed it. I like that he’s not a career politician, but he needs to learn to surround himself with serious talent. Bring on the spinmasters.

Laura in Maryland on November 9, 2011 at 10:10 AM

HondaV65 on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM

This is the second Republican candidate that has been systematically destroyed by unproven innuendo, three if you include what was done to Gov. Palin. It’s a neat trick, especially when we join the cheering section.

Cindy Munford on November 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM

HondaV65 on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Wow, it’s like every morning somebody pees in your cheerios.

platypus on November 9, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Laura in Maryland on November 9, 2011 at 10:10 AM

From a political scientist standpoint, it would be interesting to set up as a test of whether his campaign can move forward, if he can convince real talent to come on board at this point. If the pros think he is too toxic to win, they won’t join the campaign for any amount of money. If they think he can win, then someone will step up and get this laugh-riot of a campaign under sontrol.

JohnGalt23 on November 9, 2011 at 10:22 AM

gryphon202 on November 9, 2011 at 10:05 AM

When a State’s or US Attorney hauls his arse into criminal court, then come and talk about proof beyond a reasonable doubt. At this point, I’d settle for preponderance of the evidence.

And given ol’ Herm’s shifting stories, his false accusations of blame, and an apparent willingness to send underlings out and spin lies on his behalf, that makes actual allegations, by increasingly named sources, bolstered by payments of hush money impressive enough evidence that I’m either going to want total cooperation from the accused to at least attempt to prove his innocence, or expect the press and other responsible parties, including rival campaigns, to do the appropriate digging.

Which they will whether I want them to or not, I assure you.

JohnGalt23 on November 9, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Is that what we want to run against Obama?

skatz51 on November 9, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Some of us haven’t yet learned that the problem with Obama isn’t his inexperience, apparently. It’s his value system and ideology.

Kensington on November 9, 2011 at 10:33 AM

JohnGalt23 on November 9, 2011 at 10:22 AM

If Cain can’t get this fluster-cluck under control by the evening news, he’s done.

Then you can look for me on the evening news, out on the ledge trying to decide between the remaining crop of duds and a hard landing. *sigh*

Laura in Maryland on November 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM

You’re correct, I should have also included, unvetted, as well as under-reported by the LSM too.

skatz51 on November 9, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Laura in Maryland on November 9, 2011 at 10:10 AM

100% agreed. Again…from the time I heard he was hiring Mark Block, I thought it was a bad idea. That guy ran the Wisconsin branch of the AFP like a con man.

MadisonConservative on November 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Is that what we want to run against Obama?

skatz51 on November 9, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Again, this annoying twisting of what we said four years ago.

Four years ago, we said that Obama didn’t have executive experience. Plenty of political experience, but our complaints were about executive experience.

No matter which way you cut it, Cain has a great deal of executive experience as a CEO. Those who are now claiming that our grievance four years ago was just “experience” are either being dishonest, or are not recalling correctly.

MadisonConservative on November 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Whoever decided to do this is a horrible person, why was it necessary to ruin this man’s life and reputation on the outside chance he would be elected president? And the denizens of D.C. wonder why no one likes or trusts them.

Cindy Munford on November 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I’m speaking as a fairly strong Cain supporter – even a few days ago. It doesn’t matter whether Block is gone or not, because Cain is….

“Gird your loins” folks. It’s going to be a rough four years until, maybe, in 2016, we can get one of our crop of up-and-comers in.

I’m pretty well sick of the whole Republican field. I’ll vote for whoever wins the nomination, but I’m not holding out a lot of hope for a change, any time soon….

Obama would beat Cain like he beat Keyes. He’d beat Romney like he beat McCain. He’d beat Perry like he’d beat a petty, vindictive, unlikable, less-articulate W. He’d beat Newt by simply letting the press crucify him with innuendo and past indiscretions. He’d beat Bachmann just by letting her talk until she said something terminally stupid.

I’m rotating my stock of canned goods again. First Y2K, then Bird Flu, now Obama’s second term. The difference this time is that the catastrophe’s real. The Mayans might have known something after all.

Maybe it’s not too late to get the Garden Gnome on enough ballots to broker the convention. Or else I’ll dust off my “Draft Fred!” yard signs.

notropis on November 8, 2011 at 10:42 PM

These are my thoughts exactly.

Also, regardless of how the media created the meme that he didn’t have ‘fire in the belly’, Fred is a real leader which I have seen in action firsthand. We could do a lot worse.

Professor_Chaos on November 9, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Wow, it’s like every morning somebody pees in your cheerios.

platypus on November 9, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Naw….he’s is just so full of $hit and pi$$ that when he eats his Cheerios it appears as if it was already in the bowl.

csdeven on November 9, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Sometimes I think the only reason Romney is ahead is because he doesn’t have bonehead handlers like Cain, Bachmann and Palin have. I’m so glad I stopped caring about this election weeks ago.

Crusty on November 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM

BUT, will any of the candidates get a word in edgewise when CNBC said today that they are going to ask Cain about these scandals? The whole debate might turn into the Cain Show. UGH.

Aslans Girl on November 8, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Seriously?!! Like we haven’t heard enough about this! Dang, that will ruin the whole debate.

kg598301 on November 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM