“This so-called story”: Cain unloads on media in new statement; Update: Cain statement published yesterday

posted at 7:46 pm on November 7, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Todd Starnes of Fox News, is it still a “so-called story” when you have a woman making accusations on TV under her own name? If The One were suddenly facing a bunch of similar claims from his community-organizing days, including one from a named accuser, I’m thinking … yeah, story.

When in trouble, trust in the magic formula to firm up support: Media-bashing + “outsider” authenticity (“I won’t play by the establishment’s rules”) + vagueness on the particulars.

Unfortunately, the media-driven process by which one must seek this opportunity is fundamentally unserious. I have touched on this before – the emphasis on “gaffes,” gotcha questions and time devoted to trivial nonsense – and everyone knows the process only became further detached from relevance this week as the media published anonymous, ancient, vague personal allegations against me.

Another reason I refuse to play by these rules is that, by doing it my way, I’m getting much better results. My fundraising has skyrocketed since all this nonsense began. Just this weekend, the Washington Post has come out with a new poll – taken since all this started – showing me in the lead nationally, with my numbers on the rise…

But the process by which we choose our presidents has become so warped that, when something like this happens, the media and political strategists start grading you on whether you play an absurd game by their absurd rules.

A few things. One: The reason there’s been an emphasis on “gaffes” in his case is because all too often the gaffes have to do with significant policy matters. Go watch the clip here again if you missed it earlier. Two: He says later that the witnesses to these alleged harassment incidents are all conspicuously anonymous. Not true, though. Chris Wilson put his name on the record. Three: He makes the point that he’s had thousands of professional conversations over the years, so some people were bound to be rubbed the wrong way. Right, but of course so have Romney and Perry and no one’s accused them of harassment, let alone four people.

Here’s Allred talking to Wolf Blitzer tonight about the charges. She says Bialek won’t accept money for this story and, more noteworthy, claims that she has sworn affidavits from two people who say Bialek told them about the alleged incident with Cain around the time that it happened in 1997. She won’t reveal their names — yet — but she did supposedly read the affidavits to reporters after today’s presser. Oh, and according to John Nolte of Big Hollywood, it turns out Bialek is indeed a registered Republican and that she did in fact attend “Teacon” in Chicago last month, as she claimed. Stay tuned.

I am a serious person, seeking the opportunity to do a serious and very important job. Our nation has very serious problems, particularly of an economic nature, and Barack Obama does not have the skill, knowledge or will to solve them.

I do.

Once this kind of nonsense starts, the media’s rules say you have to act in a certain way. I am well aware of these rules. And I refuse to play by them.

There are several reasons for this. One is that, lest anyone forget, we actually have serious matters to talk about. Since the media went bananas over this so-called story, my schedule has not changed in the slightest. I have continued to make all planned public appearances. I have continued to answer questions about my 9-9-9 tax reform plan. I have continued to do everything else that our strategy proscribes.

Another reason I refuse to play by these rules is that, by doing it my way, I’m getting much better results. My fundraising has skyrocketed since all this nonsense began. Just this weekend, the Washington Post has come out with a new poll – taken since all this started – showing me in the lead nationally, with my numbers on the rise.

The media may be obsessed with this business, but the voters are not. And I am not.

But there’s another crucially important reason I refuse to play by these rules: These rules stink. Can the process by which we pick the leader of our nation be any more absurd? I’m not talking about the primary process or the role of the electorate. There is nothing wrong with that. I am talking about the media’s trivializing of such an important matter.

Consider: I held various executive positions in corporate America for several decades. I had thousands of employees working for me. I can’t even begin to recall how many conversations I had with people during that time, how many directives I gave, how much friendly banter might have taken place.

I also had to make tough decisions during these years. I turned around a poorly performing region for Burger King, then turned around a struggling Godfather’s Pizza organization. At some point during a career like this, someone will not like things you do, or how you do it. Someone will complain.
That is just the nature of things if you’ve ever done much in your life.

So once the editors of Politico started looking for people who would make claims against me, their chances of finding a few takers were probably about 100 percent. These people will not give their names. The so-called “witnesses” who purportedly corroborated their stories also will not give their names. That’s about what you would expect when people are engaging in a “hatchet job,” as it’s been described by Joseph Fassler, who was chairman of the National Restaurant Association board when I was there.

It’s easy to make accusations when, by virtue of your anonymity, you don’t have to be held accountable for the claims you’re making. It’s easy to publish them when, like Politico, you don’t follow basic rules of journalism by naming your sources or giving any details whatsoever about what supposedly happened.

When someone stops you on the street and hits you with an accusation like this, they subsequently write a story about the look in your eyes, and how many seconds it took you to speak some words in response.

They go to “crisis management experts” who offer the usual sage wisdom about “getting all the information out” – as if you can get any “information” out (aside from telling them nothing happened, which they don’t want to hear) in response to allegations that are unsourced and nonspecific.

Then, when you haven’t “calmed the firestorm” – if only because the people wielding the blow-torches have no intention of putting them out – more experts are put on the air to say this proves you are “not ready for prime time.”

Maybe that would matter if I was trying out for the cast of Saturday Night Live. But this should be a slightly more serious undertaking than that.

Contrary to the belief of experts, so wise and learned in the ways of politics, I do know what the established rules say I am supposed to do. I simply refuse to do it. That’s because the rules are ridiculous, and they produce leaders like Barack Obama, who play the political game like experts but govern like complete incompetents.

The nation needs its tax structure reformed, its spending brought under control, its debt reduced and its overall governing structure made far more responsive to the needs of the people. The nation needs many other problems addressed. If it’s OK with the American people, I would like to address them.

If the media want to continue talking about nonsense, that’s fine. I’m not going to join them. It doesn’t look like the citizenry plans to join them either.

Update: Here’s something odd. Dan Calabrese of North Star National e-mailed tonight to say that the statement above was actually published yesterday as Cain’s weekly column. That makes much more sense; it seemed strange to push out a stemwinder about the media using shadowy sources to smear him on a day when someone had stepped out of the shadows.

What makes it odder, though, is that the stemwinder was apparently pushed out tonight, even though yesterday’s column was already somewhat dated. Both Todd Starnes of Fox and Maggie Haberman of Politico said the column was e-mailed out late today, after Bialek’s presser. So I guess Team Cain thought it applied perfectly well to the new allegations too or else someone forgot to suspend an automated “weekly column” blast e-mail in time.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

annoyinglittletwerp, I would believe that most of the rabid Cain haters aren’t bigots, but Punchenko would be an exception.

Hard Right on November 7, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Just because I don’t want a know-nothing liar like Cain with his finger on the button doesn’t make one a “bigot” or a “racist”. Keep calling folks “bigots” and “racist”, though — you’re doing a real service to building on Cain’s 20%.

Punchenko on November 7, 2011 at 11:29 PM

TXUS on November 7, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Absolutely agree with everything you said. If it happened the way she described with both hands that would indicate to me that both people were participating. I could see if she got cold feet, but that is not what she is saying. This scenario does not fit my experience. And we never would be sitting outside his corporate offices. And as salacious as her description was, why didn’t she include his unzipped pants, unless they weren’t and in that case why the head to the crotch, unless someone forgot to include that part in the scenario because they’ve never been there before.

Texas Gal on November 7, 2011 at 11:29 PM

And the bigot asteronii inadvertently outs itself.

I have stated quite clearly that I care about if he did it or not. But at this time we have limited information, and the information we have is how he is handling the accusations.

In other words, you’re making up excuses to lynch since you can’t provide the evidence that he did what you’re accusing him of doing.

Bigot.

And let’s see, did you miss responding to this?

So you support people attempting to destroy a man’s reputation and life and harm his family using anonymous accusations.

Moreover, you support and endorse making these slanderous accusations and insist that the mere fact that they were made proves Cain’s guilt.

Come on, Bible-quoter. You like to cast aspersions on other peoples’ lives. You support and endorse destroying a person’s life and attacking his family using anonymous accusations. Show us where that is in the Bible.

Sick. Disgusting. Filthy. Bigoted.

And I repeat myself: You are blaming Cain for every single accusation ever being made against him and claiming everything is absolutely his fault.

You are truly a disgusting bigot.

northdallasthirty on November 7, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Hilariously clueless. The bigot and racist Punchenko screams and cries that Cain is a “know-nothing liar”, despite Cain having a business record that makes Punchenko’s precious Perry, who has never worked outside government, look like an ignorant fool.

I guess Punchenko judges by skin color, not by character.

And this got really hilarious.

Punchenko on November 7, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Maybe they should call the “n*ggerheads” like Perry does, right? Want to play that game, boy? There’s all sorts of anonymous sources that report seeing that name on the rock and that Perry didn’t do anything about it. Accusation equals guilt, so Perry is a racist.

northdallasthirty on November 7, 2011 at 11:35 PM

I had a hectic work day and was unable to watch the video until just now. When I first saw the screen-cap of her and heard a recap of what she said my first thought was blond, bimbo liar. Then I watched the video.

It was obvious that she was nervous reading the statement. What struck me was that she went out of her way several times to defend Cain even while accusing him. It seems that she did at one time genuinely like and respect him. Perhaps back then she was a little “star struck” that an important CEO would give her the time of day.

I got a very sick feeling listening to her. Even though I have been critical of Cain’s handling of this, I fully expected to see a charlatan but I have to say that I feel she is telling the truth. Maybe a wee bit embellished by the hag Allred, but it seems to be the truth as she sees it and it seems like it saddens her.

mrsmwp on November 7, 2011 at 11:36 PM

northdallasthirty on November 7, 2011 at 11:35 PM

How is Perry or someone who supports Perry a racist? Are you afraid of Rick Perry, or something? You have a real visceral reaction to Rick Perry as if he personally wronged you or something?

Punchenko on November 7, 2011 at 11:42 PM

northdallasthirty on November 7, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Considering how eagerly you’re throw the race card around-it’s no wonder that you’re supporting Cain. Honestly-you should probably switch your voter registration to ‘D’. You’d be more at home there.

Speaking of which-Black Texas DEMOCRATS came to Perry’s defense over the effing rock, They said that while they disagreed with him on pretty much everything-he was certainly no racist.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 7, 2011 at 11:44 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on November 7, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Nah, if we wanted to vote D we’d just vote for someone whose first impulse is to call us heartless for not supporting lucrative government giveaways to illegal aliens. You know, like Democrats do.

Fortunately, we don’t support such a candidate.

BKennedy on November 7, 2011 at 11:46 PM

BKennedy on November 7, 2011 at 11:46 PM

You can only speak for yourself-no one else.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 7, 2011 at 11:48 PM

northdallasthirty on November 7, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Look, you seem like a nice guy even if you come across as violent, menacing, and obviously suffering from “mommy issues”. :-)

Now then, I’m sorry Herman Cain is having such a hard time with all of these women making accusations against him. But to call someone a “racist” or a “bigot” because we think Herman is not intellectually capable to handle the job of POTUS is crossing the line. It’s a line that you and a few others like to cross for reasons that are unknown.

Moreover, I’m sure Herman will land a lucrative show on Fox News that you can tune into every Saturday night. If anything, he will probably thank you and others for calling people “racist” on his behalf and will quietly suspend his campaign tomorrow.

Punchenko on November 7, 2011 at 11:50 PM

On that note, she said Cain upgraded her hotel to a luxury suite right? If he was thinking about putting the moves on her, why wouldn’t he go back there with her? Why go out in public in a car on a street? Is Herman Cain an exhibitionist?

CrankyTRex on November 7, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Exactly. If, in fact, he upgraded her room at the hotel, something she has asserted but offered no proof of, that’s even a better reason that the inside-the-car, alleged assault makes no sense. You take her to her room, the one you’re allegedly paying for, for a little night cap and then make your moves. You certainly don’t make uninvited moves in a car on a public street in front of your offices.

When you’re a CEO or a high level executive of a big business or organization, and I have experience with this, you live with a target on your back, and you are extremely cautious and careful about all your informal dealings with employees or prospective employees. There are so many set-up situations and traps and dishonest people out there, which Cain no doubt knew at the time.

TXUS on November 7, 2011 at 11:51 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on November 7, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Oddly enough, I was more than happy to call out Cain for that as well.

Incidentally, I also lived in Texas for six years and voted for Perry twice.

It’s called a principled response. I don’t like seeing people be slandered by the Obama Party media, regardless of who they are.

You and Punchenko seem perfectly OK with it as long as they slander candidates you don’t like.

Pretty selfish, short-sighted, and stupid. Might want to try getting over that.

northdallasthirty on November 8, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Punchenko on November 7, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Oh, it’s pretty straightforward. You are calling a successful black man with a business record that you would be championing were he white “not intellectually capable”.

I know racists when I see them, and you are one.

And this was rather entertaining:

Which is really the point, isn’t it, racist?

You don’t care about anything other than getting Cain knocked out of the race. You don’t care if the Obama Party lies, you don’t care if the MSM spreads lies, all you care about is getting Cain knocked out of the race.

What a piece of filth you are. And I certainly hope Perry is better than his supporters, although for him to encourage racists like you is at the least disquieting.

northdallasthirty on November 8, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Texas Gal on November 7, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Precisely. There are so many holes (no pun intended) in her story, it’s Swiss cheese on steroids. Yes, she had detail in her account, but as in all cases relative to the story of an accuser, it is often what is left out that proves or disproves, or casts a cloud of doubt on the account or story. This is what juries spend most of their time on in the jury room when deciding a verdict, not what was said but what wasn’t.

Really, I’m getting to the point where this woman’s story is so way out and so beyond just basic common sense, it’s becoming laughable. And that she decided that now was the time to come forward, with her circus master, Gloria Allred, at her side, some 14 years after the alleged incident, puts her in the category of Anita Hill.

TXUS on November 8, 2011 at 12:14 AM

northdallasthirty on November 8, 2011 at 12:07 AM

I did call George W. Bush “not intellectually capable”. He was white and had a business record, you know. :-)

I’m not impressed with Herman’s record and I — as well as many others — would prefer he had held public office before running for POTUS. Experience in public office and record by which to judge does count.

Oh, and Cain’s debate performance with Newt was also pretty jarring. I think AP posted the clip on another thread, but it was particularly painful to watch him search for answer until ultimately deferring to Newt to answer for him. :-(

Punchenko on November 8, 2011 at 12:14 AM

northdallasthirty on November 8, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Lay off the steroids. :-)

Punchenko on November 8, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Sorry, not the same comparison. Cain’s record frankly blows Bush’s out of the water, and Bush was a perfectly capable President.

So a black man with a better record is called incapable. Racist.

And this is why you get called a bigot. You first complain that you’re not impressed with Cain’s record, then complain that he has no record to judge him by. That’s completely incoherent and irrational — and demonstrates that you just plain hate Cain and have no interest in facts or fair judgment.

northdallasthirty on November 8, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Wow! Cain supporters sure know how to play that race card! I thought we were suppose to be beyond identity politics!

conservador on November 8, 2011 at 12:24 AM

conservador on November 8, 2011 at 12:24 AM

We are. But unfortunately, some of you like Punchenko seem desperate to keep a black man from ever getting anywhere near the White House again.

Just because Barack Obama and the Obama Party abuse racism doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist. And being good conservatives requires us to call out both liberal racism, such as Politico and Allred are displaying, and racists who are trying to use these allegations to destroy Cain under the delusion that this will somehow help Perry.

northdallasthirty on November 8, 2011 at 12:30 AM

So a black man with a better record

um.. debatable. Bush actually governed.. he had a record. Cain has nothing. Nada. Zip.

triple on November 8, 2011 at 12:31 AM

If anyone is interested, Cain has apparently called for a press conference tomorrow to deal with these latest allegations.

xblade on November 8, 2011 at 12:31 AM

northdallasthirty on November 8, 2011 at 12:19 AM

My late father-RIP-used to say that people that threw the word ‘racism’ around were most likely projecting.
Hmmm.
Btw: My first choice for President was-still is though he won’t run-Bobby Jindal.
Bobby Jindal ain’t a blue-eyed blonde.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 8, 2011 at 12:31 AM

AP: Could you please send ND30 packing?
Pretty please-with cat toys on top?

annoyinglittletwerp on November 8, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Generally, I’d tend to agree with him — and Obama and the Obama Party are great examples thereof.

But sorry, there literally is no other explanation for why so many of the Cain-haters are so ready to believe anything awful about him.

northdallasthirty on November 8, 2011 at 12:37 AM

TXUS on November 8, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Yes, I was interested in hearing her tell her story for the very reason, as you said, that what is not there is an indication that the story didn’t happen that way. And since I have no qualms about admitting that I know how this scene plays, I don’t believe her story. I might believe that she reached out to Cain for help and he met with her. Upgraded the room her boyfriend paid for. Took her to a nice dinner and by the corporate headquarters to show her where they where, but not the hand up the leg of the head to the crotch outside headquarters. That part of her story falls apart.

Texas Gal on November 8, 2011 at 12:38 AM

northdallasthirty on November 8, 2011 at 12:37 AM

I don’t think Cain is guilty of sexual harassment-and I don’t think he’s qualified to be president.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 8, 2011 at 12:42 AM

AP: Could you please send ND30 packing?
Pretty please-with cat toys on top?

annoyinglittletwerp on November 8, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Don’t read his comments.

csdeven on November 8, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Texas Gal on November 8, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Problem is, if he did any of it, then people will simply assume he’s lying about the part that is sexual in nature.

There are only 2 ways out of it for him:
1. He/the press comes up with evidence that she has a history of making these kinds of bogus allegations.
2. He can prove beyond a reasonable doubt he was never there, which would basically mean he’d have to have a stamped passport that has him out of the country for the entire month of July ’97 or something

CrankyTRex on November 8, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Punchenko & northdallasthirty are giving me flashbacks to my old Rock’em Sock’em Robots… they keep losing their heads! Just dated myself….

cane_loader on November 8, 2011 at 12:45 AM

I’ll tell you what, the paternity suit doesn’t make her look too good!

cane_loader on November 8, 2011 at 12:46 AM

cane_loader on November 8, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Gen X’er?
Me too.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 8, 2011 at 12:50 AM

There are only 2 ways out of it for him:

CrankyTRex on November 8, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Yes you’re right. If I was him, I make them prove it because I don’t think they can. I think if they could, we would of had evidence today, not accusations.

For myself, the one thing I am certain of, the hand/leg, head/crotch thing didn’t happen.

But I honestly could see him trying to be kind to someone who was in need of help and having it bite him like this. I think he’s just that kind of a person.

Texas Gal on November 8, 2011 at 12:52 AM

northdallasthirty on November 8, 2011 at 12:19 AM

No, I’m not impressed with his record. Thus far his record has been gaffes, misstatements, jokes, non-jokes, allegations, media circuses, NRA payouts, walk-backs, explanations, and a piss-poor debate with Newt Gingrich. Oh, and he wants to raise taxes on the middle class and lie to me about that, too!

Right now I’m watching Cain on Kimmel and he is being very charming. Too bad charming doesn’t stop US economic decline or convinces Iran to suspend its nuclear program. :-(

Also, I’m not impressed with his lack of a record in office, nor am I impressed with his supporters like you who play the race card and denounce others as “bigots” because we have legitimate issue with Cain’s BS. I question Cain’s conservatism because he lacks the credentials in office to show me he is committed to the cause through tough votes and decisions.

Oh, and look, he just told the world his wife is a Democrat. Lovely. I guess that would make the both of you, ND30. :-)

Punchenko on November 8, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Herman Cain is The Ladies Man

Political Chef on November 8, 2011 at 12:54 AM

northdallasthirty on November 8, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Well I am definitely unimpressed by his Pizza!!!! You’ll have to ask the ladies about his pepperoni

Political Chef on November 8, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Why do I get the feeling I’ll be sitting out and roasting marshmallows in the flames of our dying country…

[sigh] I miss Palin.

dominigan on November 8, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Texas Gal on November 8, 2011 at 12:52 AM

The burden of proof will be on Cain. It shouldn’t be that way, but it is.

And even if it looks like a smear, we can’t discount the possibility that it is true. I’ve been for Cain, but I can certainly see a scenario where he’s in his mid-life crisis, he’s on top of the world, and he gets a little alcohol in him and gets frisky.

CrankyTRex on November 8, 2011 at 1:01 AM

The burden of proof will be on Cain. It shouldn’t be that way, but it is.

CrankyTRex on November 8, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Well, he can’t prove something that didn’t happen. I’ve known several men in mid-life crisis stage and done very stupid things, but Cain doesn’t strike me that way. I’ve known of him for a long time. And he wouldn’t be the first man I’ve known that was too kind and naive for his own good.

Texas Gal on November 8, 2011 at 1:09 AM

No, I’m not taking it hook, line, and sinker. But let me turn the question back on you: What would it take for you to say, “Hmmm, maybe there’s something to this”? What sort of evidence?

Allahpundit on November 7, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Well, gee, I don’t know…maybe something more than anonymous accusers and a bimbo without any evidence and who refused to accept questions from reporters…

lovingmyUSA on November 8, 2011 at 1:13 AM

I don’t get it. First, if Herman Cain touched her, as she alleges, doesn’t that constitute more than “harrassment”- isn’t that sexual assault? Second, if she was no longer in his employ, how can what she alleges he did be “sexual harrassment”?

Besides, someone who is a serial sexual harasser, with decades on the job, would have 40 or 104 women coming forward, not 1-4.

Herman Cain, if anything, has been very upfront in other situations like when he was asked what “right of return” was. He could’ve slithered around like almost every politician does, but he readily admitted to the interviewer that he didn’t know & would be sure to find out.

Given the choice of who to believe, media whore Gloria Allred or Hermain Cain, Cain wins. Innocent till proven guilty. I don’t see proof. I see desperation.

NightmareOnKStreet on November 8, 2011 at 1:16 AM

mrsmwp on November 7, 2011 at 11:36 PM

While I can appreciate that you heard truth in her statement, I did not.

Just for reference, try to find a audio recording of Tanya delivering an SLA manifesto and demands back in the early Seventies. Tanya, of course, was the revolutionary name used by kidnap-victim-turned-criminal Patricia Hearst.

I lived in California while those terrorists were running around robbing banks with automatic weapons. And I’ll never forget her voice in that tape because it confirmed to me that she was being forced to say and do things. It did not sound natural.

I had the same reaction listening to this female speaking.

platypus on November 8, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Texas Gal on November 8, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Yeah, that is also possible. Like the Zen master said, “We’ll see.”

CrankyTRex on November 8, 2011 at 1:16 AM

The burden of proof will be on Cain. It shouldn’t be that way, but it is.

CrankyTRex on November 8, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Uh oh – remember when Cain said he could see himself exchanging Gitmo prisoners for a captured American? You really crossed the line this time by publicly admitting that you were mentally entertaining an idea, even though you had no associated intent while you were doing so.

For this great crime of using your imagination, you have shown that you aren’t qualified to ever be president. You better be prepared for an attack from Cain haters now – they can’t stand it when people think!!! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on November 8, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on November 8, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Ohhh damn. Now everyone is going to accuse me of planning to have a mid-life crisis and molest a woman when I get to middle age. If I try to discount that notion everyone will accuse me of flip flopping or not being clear.

I guess I’ll just have to quit commenting and leave in disgrace.

CrankyTRex on November 8, 2011 at 1:25 AM

I guess I’ll just have to quit commenting and leave in disgrace.

CrankyTRex on November 8, 2011 at 1:25 AM

You’ll know for sure when people start telling you that you look like Mittens.

platypus on November 8, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Who orchestrated this? This is pure orchestration. Whoever is behind this has mapped out 10 moves, and going forward with the character assassination. And they have this ready for every remaining GOP candidate.

We’d better wake up, folks. The throwing of the 2012 election starts now…

cane_loader on November 7, 2011 at 8:22 PM

cane_loader, that is so true it gave me chills!

NightmareOnKStreet on November 8, 2011 at 1:37 AM

CrankyTRex on November 8, 2011 at 1:25 AM

lol if these people were consistent, we both know they should accuse you of what you just said.

“Don’t mock us for having blatant double-standards that we are too cowardly to acknowledge, you Cainlusional Cainiac!!!” -typical Cain hater

Bizarro No. 1 on November 8, 2011 at 1:37 AM

While I can appreciate that you heard truth in her statement, I did not.

I had the same reaction listening to this female speaking.

platypus on November 8, 2011 at 1:16 AM

About a minute after I read this post, Greta’s show, which I had PVRed, came on, and opened with Bialek reading that statement. I listened to see how unnatural it would sound. Sure enough, it sounded robotic, as though she had been programmed, as you said.

Bizarro No. 1 on November 8, 2011 at 1:47 AM

I watched Herman on Jimmy Kimmel tonight. Brave man not cancelling and he did well during the interview.

I will eat my hat if Cain is guilty.

I didn’t know his wife was a Democrat (who votes Republican.) She watched the press conference and called him afterwards and said she’s been married for 43 yrs to him and the things the woman said don’t even sound like him.

His news conference tomorrow should be interesting.

Elisa on November 8, 2011 at 1:48 AM

Allahpundit on November 7, 2011 at 8:06 PM

A credible story that is physically possible from the front seat of a car that does not conflict with my personal experience. Maybe that is what the problem is, Allred made up a scenario without testing it. But in this case, she claims innocence, not a willing partner, so that just adds to my suspicion that her story is not credible.

And in that regard, I, nor my passenger, would park on the street outside corporate headquarters where someone might recognize him/us.

Texas Gal on November 7, 2011 at 10:45 PM

I never thought about that.

Like your earlier post, good point. Especially when they had that nice private upgraded room to go to. What was the point of upgrading the room?

With all that detail, I didn’t hear the part about Cain’s unzipped pants that exposed himself, because I just don’t know what good her head in his crotch would do otherwise. Surely she would have included that detail as she recounted her description. Otherwise, I don’t understand this scenario. Cain must not be a very experience sexual abuser.

Texas Gal on November 7, 2011 at 2:53 PM

I saw your post on another thread that is now inactive.

I was thinking the same thing and wasn’t sure if I should write it here.

I don’t want to be graphic, but Bill Clinton exposed himself and then told Paula Jones to “kiss it.”

This woman today mentioned that Cain’s shirt button was unbuttoned. No mention he exposed himself and, in fact, the alleged actions came out of nowhere and took her by surprise.

Now I am far from experienced in these matters and maybe this happens all the time. Please let me know if I am wrong.

But why would a man push her head down without doing something else first, trying a kiss or undoing his belt?

Sorry I am being graphic here, but these are serious allegations.

Elisa on November 7, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Elisa on November 8, 2011 at 1:51 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on November 8, 2011 at 1:37 AM

Pretty much. That’s one of the things I was talking about earlier with people being hyper-critical and having this instant media cycle.

You ask a guy if he can see himself doing something that just happened , and that he just finished talking about, and he says “yes, but I’d have to have all the facts” and suddenly he’s outlining some kind of foreign policy. It wasn’t a great answer, but people on here were literally saying it was going to put US troops in danger.

Unreal.

CrankyTRex on November 8, 2011 at 1:54 AM

CrankyTRex on November 8, 2011 at 1:01 AM

So, worst case scenario, we’d have Clinton back in the Oval? It would still be better than Obama by any measure…Hell, I’ll vote for Miss Teen South Carolina over Obama.

NightmareOnKStreet on November 8, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Texas Gal on November 7, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Exactly…

lovingmyUSA on November 8, 2011 at 2:03 AM

husband asked Ronulan to name something Ron Paul had done wrong as a pol or if there was anything friend disagreed with Paul on.
Ronulan couldn’t think of ANYTHING
Cainaics are much the same-as were Palinistas and the few Perry and Santorum cultists out there.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 7, 2011 at 10:47 PM

There you go again…most of us are willing to play the game till the player falls out…if Cain does bad in a debate, he will go down, like all the others. So far he has held his own…sorry your man hasn’t. But as for not thinking he could do no wrong? You should have seen me the day he blamed Perry….I got kicked out of two Cain groups cause I blew up…literally BLEW UP over how stupid that was….

lovingmyUSA on November 8, 2011 at 2:09 AM

This is deadly serious. As Republicans and independents, I think we’d better stick together for awhile and ask some hard questions about who is trying to take out the GOP field.

Starting with who spilled the beans about the “n—-r rock.”

cane_loader on November 7, 2011 at 9:57 PM

THIS!!!!! This is more than just getting Cain…this is total elimination of each candidate by anonymous accusers. Those of you who are gloating over these tactics…well, don’t ask for respect of your opinons.

I do take solace in knowing that the majority of the non-Cain supporters seem to be as disgusted by this as me…,

lovingmyUSA on November 8, 2011 at 2:17 AM

lovingmyUSA on November 8, 2011 at 2:17 AM

What’s being done to Cain is a political hatchet job.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 8, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Elisa on November 8, 2011 at 1:48 AM

correction. He called his wife after the press conference. Not the other way around.

this article doesn’t include the end of the interview when Herman also talked about his wife.

Excerpt:

Kimmel: How was your day?

Cain: Well, all things considered, i’m still alive. It got off to somewhat of a rough start. We a little surprise (at what showed up) on TV.

Kimmel: Did you watch that?

Cain: We watched it because we didn’t even know that this whole thing about woman number 4 was going to even come out, so that was a surprise. At least it wasn’t one of the many that have the first name anonymous so now this one actually had a name and a face so we watched to see what it was and who it was and we are dealing with it and tomorrow we’re going to have a press conference. Oh, yeah, we are going to have a press conference. We’re taking this head on because —

Kimmel: Have you considered hiring Gloria Allred as your attorney?

Cain: You almost made me say something that my handlers says you should not say. Let me put it to you this way: I can’t think of anything that I would hire her to do, okay? I can’t think of a thing!

Kimmel: I was thinking about this stuff, I know obviously you can’t get into the specifics but i was just thinking about kind of the human factor and imagining you watching this and like just putting myself in that position and I was imagining your wife. Did you speak to her today? Was she watching it with you?

Cain: My wife is in Atlanta. We were in San Francisco because I had a speech at noon. This press conference came on at 10:30 and my wife did watch it and I called her immediately afterwards. As I was sitting there, I had a few of my staff members there with me, and I’m sitting here and they’re watching me and they could see the steam coming out of my ears. And the feelings that you have when you know that all of this is totally fabricated and you go from anger then you go — you get disgusted, you try to control yourself to make sure you watch this thing all the way through it.

I was listening very closely and then when it was all over with, I said, well I know what we got to do because there’s not an ounce of truth in all of these accusations and my team is putting this stuff together. that is why I’m willing to do a press conference tomorrow to set the record straight….

Elisa on November 8, 2011 at 2:33 AM

northdallasthirty on November 8, 2011 at 12:07 AM

I am on your side, but you do know that when you are reduced to calling names–it means you have lost the argument–right? Stop with the name calling and stick to the facts…you are demeaning yourself…

lovingmyUSA on November 8, 2011 at 2:42 AM

TXUS on November 8, 2011 at 12:14 AM
Exactly

yet It was important enough that she had told people that this happened back in 1997 but she can’t recall the date? Please

And yet she can’t say what hotel she was staying at, keep receipts, plan tickets anything that might prove she was in DC circa 1997. please!
Obviously it was a big deal to her back then so where the paper trail?

For what it’s worth, Cook County records show three court cases involving Bialek — two debt collections cases in 2009 and 2007, and one child support/paternity-related case in 1999:
one child support/paternity-related case in 1999? She doesn’t know who the father of her kid is?
Skankgate

DSchoen on November 8, 2011 at 2:57 AM

They are coming out of the woodwork now…didnt bimbo give a clarion call for “others” to come forth? Soros and Gloria are popping the cork (insert mind-bleach here)

Fifth woman says Cain tried to arrange dinner date with audience member

lovingmyUSA on November 8, 2011 at 2:57 AM

Unreal.

CrankyTRex on November 8, 2011 at 1:54 AM

Yep. I am in complete agreement with you here. I detest chronic fault-finding and impatience!

So many people on our side expect perfection, and what makes that worse is that they don’t understand they are causing their own unhappiness with their perfectionism. This is only getting worse, too. “stop and smell the roses” is an alien concept to these people.

I remember that when GWB won in 2004, Hannity was talking about 2008 and whether Hillary would run or not the day after the election!? He wasn’t alone, either. Yikes!

Bizarro No. 1 on November 8, 2011 at 3:04 AM

lovingmyUSA on November 8, 2011 at 2:57 AM

Sigh…this is what happens when I try to play catch up…didnt see this in the headlines…sorry

lovingmyUSA on November 8, 2011 at 3:24 AM

What exactly is the point of these inane comment sections? Punch-throwing, name-calling bulshite that proves a number of you as warped as the liberals you despise.

leftnomore on November 8, 2011 at 3:36 AM

leftnomore on November 8, 2011 at 3:36 AM

oh, piss off.

cane_loader on November 8, 2011 at 3:51 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on November 7, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Do you what projection is? Do you know what partiality is?

I say that your perceptions are warped about “Cainiacs”. One reason I say this is because I’ve seen you indulge your accusatory side more and more over time (same for Aslan’s Girl – it’s like you’re completely different people than you were before), and I’ve learned in life that the more accusations a person makes against others in lieu of sincerely asking them questions in order to understand where they’re coming from, the less positive and less rational that person is; the negativity you “see” in “Cainiacs” isn’t really there.

Remember what you didn’t like about the Palinistas? Can you explain how TheRightMan, Punkchenko, HondaV65, or Aslan’s Gal are behaving any differently than the Palinistas did? Because I’ve been on the receiving end of both, and I see no difference in their manners whatsoever i.e. they’re supporting candidates other than Palin, but the same sh!t is still being produced.

Bizarro No. 1 on November 8, 2011 at 3:55 AM

leftnomore on November 8, 2011 at 3:36 AM

It’s definitely less fun than it used to be here because of the ever-increasing amount of negativity.

I think those who can’t control their anger and abusiveness should be put in a playpen separate from the rest of HA, until they prove they’re ready to be mainstreamed with the adults among us. :)

Bizarro No. 1 on November 8, 2011 at 4:06 AM

Allahpundit on November 7, 2011 at 8:06 PM

A paper trail like
What is the name of the hotel that Cain alleged upgraded her room?
Registration? receipts, plan tickets anything that might prove she was in DC circa 1997. please!

She thought it was so bad she called 2 people and have them swear out affidavits

If what she claims were true why didn’t she call the cop’s. Her allegation is an attempted rape!

That would be a start
The NRA fired her reason unknown. Is it possible she is disgruntled former employee?

Her story reads like a bad B movie plot

DSchoen on November 8, 2011 at 4:54 AM

That would be a start

Her story reads like a bad B movie plot

DSchoen on November 8, 2011 at 4:54 AM

She was fired from her job, and her boyfriend suggested she contact Cain in hopes he could help her find employment.”.

In this particular incident she was fired for falsely accusing her boss of sexual harassment, a charge denied by co-workers, as well as being pretty much a pain in the ass to work with.

“I remember her as a time-waster, and rabble-rouser. If she didn’t get her way she cried about sexual harassment”. A former co-worker, a female no less, emailed me. “She was trouble with a capital “T”.

lovingmyUSA on November 8, 2011 at 6:09 AM

That would be a start

Her story reads like a bad B movie plot

DSchoen on November 8, 2011 at 4:54 AM

Well, she was fired from her job for false charges of sexual harrassment against her boss…her coworkers said shewas a pain in the a$$ to work with. And she falsely accused a man of being her baby-daddy. Yes–a very bad movie, and we all know what she did to get the leading part…

lovingmyUSA on November 8, 2011 at 6:14 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on November 7, 2011 at 10:47 PM

If you support someone you’re in a cult. I get it. Except, of course, if you love Romney. Then you’re reasonable.

JellyToast on November 8, 2011 at 6:24 AM

So Cainiacs are reduced to the Clinton playbook? Searching into the financial records of Cain’s accuser to prove what exactly? When Cain has been forced to schedule another press conference for today to “address” the allegations?

I sure hope this time Cain actually addresses the allegations instead of throwing blame and painting this as a grand conspiracy hatched by Perry, Rahm Emmanuel, and the media.

Moreover, has Cain apologized to Perry yet for smearing him? What a pathetic man.

TheRightMan on November 8, 2011 at 6:29 AM

I wonder how well she’d do under cross examination.
Mark Levin had some good questions. Just listened to his clip.

JellyToast on November 8, 2011 at 6:35 AM

JellyToast on November 8, 2011 at 6:24 AM

She’s for Perry, by default, ’cause Jindal is not running.

lovingmyUSA on November 8, 2011 at 6:45 AM

leftnomore on November 8, 2011 at 3:36 AM

Yes, it seems that after a page or so of comments, two or three participants inevitably fall to insulting each other vituperatively, after which there is no point in reading further.

Time for a moderated forum? All you need is a moderator who will use the Cut key and write, “[SNIP] No ad hominems, please.”

MrLynn on November 8, 2011 at 6:47 AM

This might work…if it weren’t so obvious.

kingsjester on November 8, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Can’t say I’m surprised, but every primary season you get a chance to see what a lot of commenters are made of. Too many display the problem with the GOP as a whole.

We lose sight of the issues and the adversary.

We lose respect for each other.

The ability to communicate anonymously has its pros and cons, but one of the biggest cons is the lack of shame some feel under the cloak of a fake name.

In this country, it takes little courage to speak freely, and that is a truly wonderful thing. How about being brave enough to phrase your opinion anonymously as if your real and actual personal reputation was at stake.

There is nothing more chickenshit than refusing to do so when you don’t live in a country that protects your right to free speech.

Saltysam on November 8, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Saltysam on November 8, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Oops.

Saltysam on November 8, 2011 at 6:57 AM

After listening to Levin, I’m thinking these charges are false. He had some excellent points.

JellyToast on November 8, 2011 at 7:00 AM

Here’s just one fishy thing about her story: She flew from Chicago to D.C. and booked a hotel room to ask him for a job? She couldn’t call him and mail a resume’ first? Gosh, usually you have the face to face interview after the resume’ has been reviewed (if you make it through that initial screening), not the other way around. She must have been quite sure of her powers of persuasion to invest that much money.

Buy Danish on November 8, 2011 at 7:33 AM

Buy Danish on November 8, 2011 at 7:33 AM

Yeah, smell like “fish” too…

lovingmyUSA on November 8, 2011 at 7:46 AM

First they took down Bachmann, but none of the people for the other candidates stood up to defend her, instead they piled on.

Then they came for Perry, and those not already on his side remained seated or piled on in order to get their pick into first place.

Now they are after Cain, and all those people who remained seated or piled onto push the other candidates out are screaming at the top of their lungs, WE SHOULD NEVER EAT OUR OWN, YOU ALL NEED TO BACK CAIN, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT LIKE HIM! I am not impressed by your sudden changes of heart on the topic. By the way, you all keep saying that I am judging him harsher than the people accusing him. I am voting for a presidential candidate, that they are not, and I am also not taking any of their allegations seriously, I am only looking at how he handles the situation, and that is the only place my judgement has been on Cain. The rest of the statements are directed towards people who would like to claim, even if the charges are true, it just shows Cain is a man… No, it shows that anyone who does things like that is an immoral peice of scum unworthy of support to the most powerful position on the planet. As I said, only if true. But if people are going to argue that he did nothing wrong even if the accusations are true, I think it only proper to remind people that this nation only functions for prosperity if we have a moral people.

astonerii on November 8, 2011 at 8:04 AM

astonerii on November 8, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Listen up, looney tunes: Bachmann committed political suicide with her Gardisil hysterics. That was after taking an untenable position during the debt crisis where she said it was a-okay to default on our debt. She may be able to do this as a member of the House, but she is an unmitigated disaster as a Prez candidate.

Buy Danish on November 8, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Well I’d think the first thing the MSN would point out would be that this woman who says she’s a lifelong republican democrat went to Gloria Allred Ann Coulter to get her story out and never say another word on it.

Gwillie on November 8, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Wow, the first three pages of this thread was the biggest “let’s throw him under the bus” orgy that I have ever seen in my life.

A democrat uses an intern as a humidor (sp) and his party rallies around him. One of our own has three anonymous accusers and one bimbo led by Gloria “I never met a man I couldn’t accuse of sexual harrassment” Allred and most of you are done with him.

I think that’s more disgusting than the actual scandal itself.

Pcoop on November 8, 2011 at 8:25 AM

JellyToast on November 8, 2011 at 6:24 AM

I don’t support Romney and I think Perry(whom I DO support) has run a sucky campaign. You’re a ‘cultist’ when you fanatically support a candidate to the point where you constantly question the motives of those who DON’T support your person. A cultist thinks that their ‘guy’ is the ONLY one who can save the party, country whatever. A cultist refuses to see the flaws/errors in their candidate and blames any misfortune(bad debate showing whatever) on everyone BUT their candidate. I was told that I was a self-loathing woman, and idiot(since I work at Wal-Mart) and a RINO because I didn’t support Palin, and I’m a racist simpleton who’s too stupid to vote and who does whatever the media tells me because I don’t support Cain.

There are Perry cultists(I am mot certainly not one of them), I’ve even met a few Santorum cultists-I defriended one because she went down that past-but the majority of ‘cultists’ have supported(on the right) Sarah Palin, Ron Paul, and Herman Cain.
Get it NOW?

annoyinglittletwerp on November 8, 2011 at 8:29 AM

A sucker is born every minute.
TXUS has made a valid point about men like Cain who have power over others.
There are tons of dishonest people waiting to trap a man like Cain.
He made decisions that probably really pi$$ed a lot of people off.
We have some payouts to women screaming sexual harassment during a time where it was fashionable to do so.
We live in a country where we are feminizing men so that when a man acts like one, he is vilified as a sexual predator, where a candidate for a powerful position is vilified by the media for anything they’ve ever done (how many of us can withstand such scrutiny?).
We have taken decent people & thoroughly trashed them in the media using rumors, lies, gossip, & innuendo to create a falsified picture of a person that isn’t true, but so many believe it nonetheless.
Constant barraging of these rumors, lies, gossip & innuendo, combined with ‘testimony’ from people who ‘seem’ sincere & credible lends to skeptics becoming 1/2 believers (well I keep hearing it, so where there’s smoke there’s gotta be a fire) and before you know it, a human being’s reputation is ruined, reality TV-style.
There’s a reason shows like Survivor, the Kardashians, Jersey, Shore, etc. are popular.
People are voyeurs.
They like to hear bad things about people.
And they’re not interested in whether these things are true or not.
It’s the titillating scandal that is exciting.
And the news gets more & more hits, which makes them more & more $$ through advertising & exposure.
The reader is compelled to read more & more trash.
Hysteria builds & soon, everybody is seeing sexual harassment EVERYWHERE!
I will believe it when I see him convicted in a court of law, or admit to it, or see video or hear audio tape with his confession.
Otherwise, I’ll give him the same chance I gave Clinton the snake, which was hard, but after LEwinsky, we knew at least that was true (which was bad).
Yall are so quick to judge.
It’s incredible to watch.
The stupification of America, here on HA.

Badger40 on November 8, 2011 at 8:57 AM

So she was with Cain last month at a Tea Party event…and hugged him.

crazywater on November 8, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Badger40 on November 8, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Agreed. Well said.

pambi on November 8, 2011 at 9:25 AM

If that photo is from the event, she was not just with him… Notice how comfortable she is – how cozied up she is… notice Cain’s arm around her waist.

Lying piece of pond scum.

Virginia Shanahan on November 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Lying piece of pond scum.

Virginia Shanahan on November 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM

I honestly don’t think it’s the same woman. ???

catwrangler on November 8, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Looks like Sharon’s fiance Mark Harwood departed from the board of RF Technologies in October after 1 year and three months as president.

His LinkedIn profile headline now says: ‘President / CEO (Searching for new Opportunity).’

sceptical on November 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM

It’s okay to make a move on a woman.

It’s okay to make a move and then stop when she says no. As long as it stops there.

It’s NOT OKAY for a man in a position of POWER to use that power in return for sexual favors.

I really hate the fact that the so-called moralistic party drops all its principles when one of its top politicians gets accused.

triple on November 8, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Here’s my prediction:

It doesn’t matter what Herman Cain says in his press conference. His detractors will still be expecting more out of him.

Here’s my suggestion to anyone who wants to know what really happened while Cain was NRA president: Find a black suit and clerical collar, then find a confessional to hole up in somewhere. You’ll get a lot more enjoyment out of hearing about people’s real sins.

gryphon202 on November 8, 2011 at 10:07 AM

It’s okay to make a move on a woman.

triple on November 8, 2011 at 10:02 AM

So tell me again where Gloria Allred was when Bill Clinton was credibly accused of RAPE?

gryphon202 on November 8, 2011 at 10:12 AM

CAINLUSIONALS: “These women who filed these complaints are ANONYMOUS! And there’s no detail to these allegations! Until someone comes out on the record with THEIR NAME … NOTHING TO SEE HERE!

Sharon Bialek: “Hi, my name is Sharon Bialek … here’s my name, address and phone number … and two affadavits from people I told this to in 1997 … now let me tell you specifically what Cain did to me.”

CAINLUSIONALS: “What? Who could possibly believe this whore??”

Note: I’m not saying her story is true … but again, IT SHOULD BE EXAMINED. She gave some specifics … like the fact that Cain UPGRADED her Hotel room to a “palatial room” … whatever. That can be checked out. The hotel will have a record of that.

So why don’t we just check that?

Oh wait … Cainlusionals refuse to even question their savior.

Nothing to see here! :P

HondaV65 on November 8, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Here’s my prediction:

gryphon202 on November 8, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Yup. Hell Ace did a post today whining about how Cain didn’t get into specifics and “muddied the waters” last week. What specifics was he going to get into? All of that information is under an NDA that Cain didn’t sign and thus has no access to. The people involved did not want to talk about it, so they have no specifics. Politico didn’t bother to get specifics. So the only specifics available were whatever Cain could remember from 12 years ago from an investigation to which he was not a party and an agreement for some kind of payout to which he was not a party.

So there were no specifics. That’s the problem. And if your blanket denial is “I never sexually harassed anybody”, you are pretty damned far out on a limb. That’s not a weak response.

CrankyTRex on November 8, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Oh wait … Cainlusionals refuse to even question their savior.

Nothing to see here! :P

HondaV65 on November 8, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I question Bialek’s character. Is that enough for you, douchebag?

gryphon202 on November 8, 2011 at 10:33 AM

So a powerful man tried to treat a pretty lady nice with the hope of maybe getting a little somethin’ somethin’. A) He did not force himself upon her. B) He did not make threats or attempt to intimidate. He possibly made rude gestures and or suggestive comments. SO WHAT?

I guess I am struggling with the why anyone cares, or thinks this has anything to do with his qualifications for office. I am sick of this story. There is no “sexual harassment” here. All we have is a guy acting inappropriately around a women. Like that never happens! “Sweetie”?

I am not a died-in-the-wool Cain supporter. I like him. But this ridiculous sideshow has gone on for far too long. Let’s get back to the actual campaign, please.

drocity on November 8, 2011 at 10:37 AM