“This so-called story”: Cain unloads on media in new statement; Update: Cain statement published yesterday

posted at 7:46 pm on November 7, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Todd Starnes of Fox News, is it still a “so-called story” when you have a woman making accusations on TV under her own name? If The One were suddenly facing a bunch of similar claims from his community-organizing days, including one from a named accuser, I’m thinking … yeah, story.

When in trouble, trust in the magic formula to firm up support: Media-bashing + “outsider” authenticity (“I won’t play by the establishment’s rules”) + vagueness on the particulars.

Unfortunately, the media-driven process by which one must seek this opportunity is fundamentally unserious. I have touched on this before – the emphasis on “gaffes,” gotcha questions and time devoted to trivial nonsense – and everyone knows the process only became further detached from relevance this week as the media published anonymous, ancient, vague personal allegations against me.

Another reason I refuse to play by these rules is that, by doing it my way, I’m getting much better results. My fundraising has skyrocketed since all this nonsense began. Just this weekend, the Washington Post has come out with a new poll – taken since all this started – showing me in the lead nationally, with my numbers on the rise…

But the process by which we choose our presidents has become so warped that, when something like this happens, the media and political strategists start grading you on whether you play an absurd game by their absurd rules.

A few things. One: The reason there’s been an emphasis on “gaffes” in his case is because all too often the gaffes have to do with significant policy matters. Go watch the clip here again if you missed it earlier. Two: He says later that the witnesses to these alleged harassment incidents are all conspicuously anonymous. Not true, though. Chris Wilson put his name on the record. Three: He makes the point that he’s had thousands of professional conversations over the years, so some people were bound to be rubbed the wrong way. Right, but of course so have Romney and Perry and no one’s accused them of harassment, let alone four people.

Here’s Allred talking to Wolf Blitzer tonight about the charges. She says Bialek won’t accept money for this story and, more noteworthy, claims that she has sworn affidavits from two people who say Bialek told them about the alleged incident with Cain around the time that it happened in 1997. She won’t reveal their names — yet — but she did supposedly read the affidavits to reporters after today’s presser. Oh, and according to John Nolte of Big Hollywood, it turns out Bialek is indeed a registered Republican and that she did in fact attend “Teacon” in Chicago last month, as she claimed. Stay tuned.

I am a serious person, seeking the opportunity to do a serious and very important job. Our nation has very serious problems, particularly of an economic nature, and Barack Obama does not have the skill, knowledge or will to solve them.

I do.

Once this kind of nonsense starts, the media’s rules say you have to act in a certain way. I am well aware of these rules. And I refuse to play by them.

There are several reasons for this. One is that, lest anyone forget, we actually have serious matters to talk about. Since the media went bananas over this so-called story, my schedule has not changed in the slightest. I have continued to make all planned public appearances. I have continued to answer questions about my 9-9-9 tax reform plan. I have continued to do everything else that our strategy proscribes.

Another reason I refuse to play by these rules is that, by doing it my way, I’m getting much better results. My fundraising has skyrocketed since all this nonsense began. Just this weekend, the Washington Post has come out with a new poll – taken since all this started – showing me in the lead nationally, with my numbers on the rise.

The media may be obsessed with this business, but the voters are not. And I am not.

But there’s another crucially important reason I refuse to play by these rules: These rules stink. Can the process by which we pick the leader of our nation be any more absurd? I’m not talking about the primary process or the role of the electorate. There is nothing wrong with that. I am talking about the media’s trivializing of such an important matter.

Consider: I held various executive positions in corporate America for several decades. I had thousands of employees working for me. I can’t even begin to recall how many conversations I had with people during that time, how many directives I gave, how much friendly banter might have taken place.

I also had to make tough decisions during these years. I turned around a poorly performing region for Burger King, then turned around a struggling Godfather’s Pizza organization. At some point during a career like this, someone will not like things you do, or how you do it. Someone will complain.
That is just the nature of things if you’ve ever done much in your life.

So once the editors of Politico started looking for people who would make claims against me, their chances of finding a few takers were probably about 100 percent. These people will not give their names. The so-called “witnesses” who purportedly corroborated their stories also will not give their names. That’s about what you would expect when people are engaging in a “hatchet job,” as it’s been described by Joseph Fassler, who was chairman of the National Restaurant Association board when I was there.

It’s easy to make accusations when, by virtue of your anonymity, you don’t have to be held accountable for the claims you’re making. It’s easy to publish them when, like Politico, you don’t follow basic rules of journalism by naming your sources or giving any details whatsoever about what supposedly happened.

When someone stops you on the street and hits you with an accusation like this, they subsequently write a story about the look in your eyes, and how many seconds it took you to speak some words in response.

They go to “crisis management experts” who offer the usual sage wisdom about “getting all the information out” – as if you can get any “information” out (aside from telling them nothing happened, which they don’t want to hear) in response to allegations that are unsourced and nonspecific.

Then, when you haven’t “calmed the firestorm” – if only because the people wielding the blow-torches have no intention of putting them out – more experts are put on the air to say this proves you are “not ready for prime time.”

Maybe that would matter if I was trying out for the cast of Saturday Night Live. But this should be a slightly more serious undertaking than that.

Contrary to the belief of experts, so wise and learned in the ways of politics, I do know what the established rules say I am supposed to do. I simply refuse to do it. That’s because the rules are ridiculous, and they produce leaders like Barack Obama, who play the political game like experts but govern like complete incompetents.

The nation needs its tax structure reformed, its spending brought under control, its debt reduced and its overall governing structure made far more responsive to the needs of the people. The nation needs many other problems addressed. If it’s OK with the American people, I would like to address them.

If the media want to continue talking about nonsense, that’s fine. I’m not going to join them. It doesn’t look like the citizenry plans to join them either.

Update: Here’s something odd. Dan Calabrese of North Star National e-mailed tonight to say that the statement above was actually published yesterday as Cain’s weekly column. That makes much more sense; it seemed strange to push out a stemwinder about the media using shadowy sources to smear him on a day when someone had stepped out of the shadows.

What makes it odder, though, is that the stemwinder was apparently pushed out tonight, even though yesterday’s column was already somewhat dated. Both Todd Starnes of Fox and Maggie Haberman of Politico said the column was e-mailed out late today, after Bialek’s presser. So I guess Team Cain thought it applied perfectly well to the new allegations too or else someone forgot to suspend an automated “weekly column” blast e-mail in time.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

…this ridiculous sideshow has gone on for far too long. Let’s get back to the actual campaign, please.

drocity on November 8, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Good luck with that.

gryphon202 on November 8, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I question Bialek’s character. Is that enough for you, douchebag?

gryphon202 on November 8, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Please stop using that word. I find it offensive.

cane_loader on November 8, 2011 at 10:45 AM

drocity on November 8, 2011 at 10:37 AM

I agree. None of this would even be an issue if women went back to knowing their place!

/sarc

BierManVA on November 8, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Those people who fold to the liars and are so quick to say the system has damaged one of our candidates deserve the present administration. If you are that easily swayed, we don’t need you.

texanpride on November 8, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Please stop using that word. I find it offensive.

cane_loader on November 8, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Well you’re making me feel uncomfortable with your complaints. Quit harassing me.

gryphon202 on November 8, 2011 at 11:04 AM

If you are that easily swayed, we don’t need you.

texanpride on November 8, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I want to feel the same way, but without their votes, we’ll probably be stuck with the current system. And I know I don’t deserve that.

gryphon202 on November 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Please stop using that word. I find it offensive.

cane_loader on November 8, 2011 at 10:45 AM

gryphon202 on November 8, 2011 at 11:04 AM

You are typing filth onto this blog.

You are reported.

cane_loader on November 8, 2011 at 11:15 AM

You are typing filth onto this blog.

You are reported.

cane_loader on November 8, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Your concern is noted, champ.

gryphon202 on November 8, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Your concern is noted, champ.

gryphon202 on November 8, 2011 at 11:16 AM

“Noted” and ignored, just like the other day. Save your sarcasm for someone else. If you can’t debate cleanly, your command of the language is not strong enough to carry you argument. You’re only tearing down yourself with your juvenile profanity.

cane_loader on November 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Bloggers with Tourette’s tend to undercut their own credibility. Why are you here?

cane_loader on November 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM

cane_loader on November 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM

If you want a straight-up no-sarcasm answer, it’s because I signed up with the charter round of commenters back when the site opened. :)

gryphon202 on November 8, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Well, gee, I don’t know…maybe something more than anonymous accusers and a bimbo without any evidence and who refused to accept questions from reporters…

lovingmyUSA on November 8, 2011 at 1:13 AM

You hit upon an interesting point…why does Cain have to cater to media questions on the same incident that Sharon does not??? Hmmmm anyone? No matter what one of the two is not telling the whole truth it could be 100%/0% or 50%/50%, or somewhere in between but again the Republican candidate is held to different standards…I know what office he is rnning for but he is not even the party’s nominee yet…theat makes them both Joe/Joan citizen!!!!

RedLizard64 on November 8, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Quotes from her supposed friends.

“She has a very infectious personality. It’s easy to see how she won [Cain] over. But the reality of her situation is — she’s a complete gold digger. It’s all about the money.”

Adding that she was from a middle-income family but lives in a posh house while running from bill collectors, the source said: “Most of her jobs ended in termination. It’s always the employer’s fault, not hers.

This is a lady who lives off the system. She is hellbent on finding a way of never having to work and living the lifestyle she wants to live, a very affluent lifestyle.”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2058983/Murky-past-Herman-Cain-accuser-Sharon-Bialek-starts-emerge.html#ixzz1d8A5EsMH

Hard Right on November 8, 2011 at 11:45 AM

RedLizard64 on November 8, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Bialek has put her name and face out there in an effort to bring down a presidential candidate. To me, that makes her character and past equally as fair-game as Cain’s.

gryphon202 on November 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Listen up, looney tunes: Bachmann committed political suicide with her Gardisil hysterics. That was after taking an untenable position during the debt crisis where she said it was a-okay to default on our debt. She may be able to do this as a member of the House, but she is an unmitigated disaster as a Prez candidate.

Buy Danish on November 8, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Case is rested, verdict will certainly be that my comment stands the test of reason.

astonerii on November 8, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I am voting for a presidential candidate….I think it only proper to remind people that this nation only functions for prosperity if we have a moral people.

astonerii on November 8, 2011 at 8:04 AM

People like you should get no vote.

astonerii on October 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM

You piece of crap. You are the last person who should be discussing anyone voting or anyone’s morals.

Apologize.

runawayyyy on November 8, 2011 at 1:13 PM

You are typing filth onto this blog.

You are reported.

cane_loader on November 8, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Please tell me you’re joking.

If not, ummm…lol.

MadisonConservative on November 8, 2011 at 4:20 PM

You are reported.

cane_loader on November 8, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Boogity boogity!
BOO!
Listen-politics are passionate.
We all at some point call each other names on her from time to time.
Some of these people here really are douchebags, etc.
What matters is, if someone is being threatened.
OTherwise, calling someone a douchebag is just having a really strong negative opinion.
I try not to engage in it myself, but I certainly am no stranger to name calling & sometimes, well, you gotta call a spade, a spade.
Grow some skin & get a life, will ya?

Badger40 on November 8, 2011 at 7:49 PM

And I am pretty certain there were some founding fathers that called each other some bad names when they clashed.
STFWhat.