New Cain accuser to hold press conference?

posted at 10:25 am on November 7, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

A couple of caveats are in order when reading this breaking story about a woman coming forward in a press conference to accuse Herman Cain of sexual harassment.  First, it’s Radar that is reporting the news, and their track record for accuracy on political stories is … less than spectacular, although not entirely bad.  The second caveat?  Her representation:

A new woman alleging sexual harassment by presidential hopeful Herman Cain will break her silence at a news conference with her powerhouse attorney Gloria Allred Monday afternoon in New York City, RadarOnline.comis exclusively reporting. …

The woman, who will be the first to go public on Monday, sought Cain’s help with an employment issue and was allegedly sexually harassed by him. Allred and her client will discuss, in detail, what she alleges occurred with Cain.

For those who can’t recall the last time Allred represented someone with a credible claim, you’ll have to look farther back than her attempt to kneecap Meg Whitman in the California gubernatorial election.  Greta van Susteren destroyed Allred in a contentious interview last October, and it wasn’t pretty.  I’m guessing that hiring Allred signals that a better lawyer wouldn’t take this client, but we’ll have to see when the national media writes another 100 stories about this case.  And of course, if the woman didn’t file any complaint — at least by Radar’s reporting, this is someone other than the two women whose cases Politico reported last week — then the allegations are going to have an instant credibility problem anyway.  Or at least they would if they were being made against Bill Clinton rather than Herman Cain.  (Business Insider also reports that this is someone else, but bases that on Radar’s report.)

Given Allred’s participation in past political hit jobs, don’t expect this to be any sort of tipping point.

Meanwhile, speaking about credibility, Howard Kurtz grilled Politico’s Jonathan Martin on the decision to publish the Cain piece on yesterday’s Reliable Sources, taking the same approach as ProPublica’s criticism of the article.  Click the image to watch:

Cain, sexual harassment, Politico, journalism

Howard Kurtz, CNN: “Jonathan Martin, let’s talk about the first story last Sunday, you and three colleagues reported this and what it didn’t contain in the way of details. Here’s the language from the story. Sexually suggestive behavior that made the women angry and uncomfortable, descriptions of physical gestures, not always overtly sexual, innuendo, and in one case, an unwanted sexual advance at a hotel.”

“Why publish the story then when you couldn’t answer the essential question: What precisely is Herman Cain alleged to have done to these women?”

Jonathan Martin, Politico: “Howie, I think any journalist would find the, uh — a report of two women got a fine figure, each, cash payout after alleged sexual harassment against a CEO of a trade group that is now a major contender for president, newsworthy. And that’s the story we had, and that’s what we published.” …

Kurtz: “You had to make a go or no go decision. I think at a lot of news organizations an editor would have said ‘you have done some terrific reporting here, you’ve got some great leads here, but you don’t have it. You can’t, you know, have a quote of what he said to any of these women, you’re obviously not able to name the women, you don’t have the details of the sexually suggestive behavior that made them angry. Go back and get more. You could have waited, there was nothing forcing you to publish this last Sunday.”

Martin: “Well, we had the fact that one of these women was brought upon by Cain in a hotel room and was made to feel very uncomfortable. We reported later this week more upon what actually happened with that episode, Howie. She was upset by that, that hours later she confronted a member of the board to complain about Cain’s treatment of her, an explicit sexual overture in a hotel room. So again –”

Kurtz: “But you can’t tell me what the overture is?”

We still don’t know what the alleged actions were, which makes it impossible to determine whether this is a real story or just a case of nuisance complaint settlements.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I’m sure we’re going to find out all about this woman right? Like when the media found out everything they could about Joe the plumber…

El_Terrible on November 7, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Yep. I know when I’m incredibly nervous I laugh, cut jokes, etc.

I don’t know if I believe her either but she is credible.

gophergirl on November 7, 2011 at 2:17 PM

That I can understand. But what’s Gloria’s excuse?

katy the mean old lady on November 7, 2011 at 2:23 PM

CNN emphasized her plea to the other anonymous accusers to come public with their stories. Probably all a dollar game now.

a capella on November 7, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I still think for a charge this serious the woman should agree to a lie detector test.

Rose on November 7, 2011 at 2:23 PM

So she told her boyfriend, and the boyfriend apparently didn’t do anything. Just said “oh well, might as well keep quiet about it, even though you were sexually assaulted.”

If this was my girlfriend, I’d be furious and I wouldn’t stop pressing the issue.

JackForce on November 7, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Oh, get real. A woman has to pick her battles and she isn’t going to report to the company every time a guy made a pass at her at work.

I found her to be credible.

TeleL on November 7, 2011 at 2:22 PM

This isn’t making a pass. This is a guy trying to take advantage of her sexually. It’s Clinton type of stuff. If she was really this shocked and dismayed, it’s inexplicable to me that she never said a word not only in the immediate aftermath but in the 14 years since until today. The timing looks very suspicious.

Doughboy on November 7, 2011 at 2:24 PM

every time a guy made a pass at her at work.

I found her to be credible.

TeleL on November 7, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Shoving his hand up her dress and bending her over his crotch is “making a pass?” I think that’s a battle most people would pick.

I don’t find you credible.

notropis on November 7, 2011 at 2:24 PM

El_Terrible on November 7, 2011 at 2:22 PM

No reason we should be kept from perusing her income tax returns.

a capella on November 7, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I would’ve filed charges for such a blatant case of harrassment.
I mean to the cops.
That’s just me.

pambi on November 7, 2011 at 2:25 PM

TeleL on November 7, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Shoving a hand up someone’s dress is a pass? My, how times change.

katy the mean old lady on November 7, 2011 at 2:25 PM

a capella on November 7, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Until they get something concrete, it’s all innuendo. They could find 1000 women who are willing to come forward and tell the same story. Now if the settlements with the NRA were regarding allegations of this nature(although why would the amounts given out come out to only 35 and 45 grand if that’s the case?), then there may be more to this story. But right now it’s basically Anita Hill V.2. You either believe this woman or believe Cain.

Doughboy on November 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM

HAHAHA The news conference got highjacked by Howard Stern’s joke writer.

But he wasn’t funnier than Gloria !!
What a clown!! So unserious about Cain’s “stimulus package”
HAHAHA I can’t stop laughing.

Cain is now cleared of all suspicion ,Anyone who tries to hit him with this phony controversy will discredit themselves further.

Got to go now, I have to belly roll on the floor for awhile

LeeSeneca on November 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM

katy the mean old lady on November 7, 2011 at 2:20 PM

And this is the one victim who didn’t file a harassment suit? The ladies who got money decided not to discuss after being given the go ahead from NRA?

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM

JackForce on November 7, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Other people have a less sensitize idea of what sexual assault is.

sharrukin on November 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM

This is sexual assault, and she wants the voters to decide? Give me a break.

Chudi on November 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I don’t find you credible.

notropis on November 7, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Snort. It would be a clear indication that he didn’t like that hand and did’t want it back.

katy the mean old lady on November 7, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Doughboy, men having been trying to slide their hands up a woman’s skirt since the beginning of time.

A beautiful woman learns to let a lot of that stuff slide — it isn’t worth the trouble to report every time a guy hits on her.

TeleL on November 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Drudge is running a story about how this woman is from Chicago….hmmm….

nswider on November 7, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Sorry, I didn’t hear the part about Cain bending her over her crotch. Now that is going too far.

TeleL on November 7, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Other people have a less sensitize idea of what sexual assault is.

sharrukin on November 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Doctors know what a sexual assault is. And that’s what her boyfriend was.

JackForce on November 7, 2011 at 2:30 PM

I don’t know about anyone else but once someone has laid hands on me, we aren’t talking harassment anymore. Jail time is involved.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2011 at 2:16 PM

lovingmyUSA on November 7, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Cain fundraising up 3k since press conference began..new FB fans up close to +100… If you are tired of media smear campaigns.. $end Herman a couple of buck$..

kringeesmom on November 7, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Sorry, I’ll pass… :)

TheRightMan on November 7, 2011 at 2:31 PM

TeleL on November 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Do those same women remain silent for 14 years until suddenly that man is running for President and is leading in the polls? Because it makes those women look like gold diggers.

Doughboy on November 7, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Doughboy on November 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM

That’s why I mentioned in an earlier post that Wolfie was discussing some vague phone mail message allegedly left on the company consul’s phone mail from a woman about the time this happened. There was no more on it, but, it seemed he was trying to instill some thought she did report it. All BS at this point.

a capella on November 7, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Sorry, I’ll pass… :)

TheRightMan on November 7, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Cheapskate.

katy the mean old lady on November 7, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Doctors know what a sexual assault is. And that’s what her boyfriend was.

JackForce on November 7, 2011 at 2:30 PM

What does that mean? Cain didn’t attack her with a knife. If true the allegation is that he acted like a creep. If her boyfriend was a lawyer you might have a point.

sharrukin on November 7, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Guy Benson tweet:
Hmm MT @HeyTammyBruce: As a friend just noted to me, this woman does not sound like a liar, she’s credible. This is very bad news for Cain

This is the most prevalent reaction on Twitter among conservative tweeters.

nswider on November 7, 2011 at 2:34 PM

So she’s a “full-time single mom” and we’re supposed to believe that there’s no financial incentive whatsoever to making these allegations?

JackForce on November 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Doughboy on November 7, 2011 at 2:32 PM

She’s silent for 14 years, she has a 13 year old son and is a single mother.

I sure hope Andrew Breitbart gets on this one ASAP.

Knucklehead on November 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM

TeleL on November 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM

LOL…

TheRightMan on November 7, 2011 at 2:36 PM

So we have an accusation and as of yet, no proof. I could call claim Romney harrassed me too until I was asked to provide proof.

Hard Right on November 7, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Yes, this looks really bad, but who wouldn’t LOVE it IF an innocent Cain challenged her (all??) to mutual lie detector tests.
Would be delicious, and quicker/cheaper than a lawsuit.

pambi on November 7, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Guy Benson tweet:

This is the most prevalent reaction on Twitter among conservative tweeters.

nswider on November 7, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Unless something else comes out, you either believe her or you don’t. That’s what this all comes down to.

Doughboy on November 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM

TeleL on November 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Women might stop at a reprimand over the hand but once rebuffed if the guy grabs her head in an attempt to force it to his crouch, that’s too much. How would she know he would stop? I can’t imagine staying alone in that man’s company after the first attempt and he would have no doubt where I stood on the situation.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Rose on November 7, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Why? There’s a reason lie detector tests aren’t taken seriously by courts.

Adamski on November 7, 2011 at 2:39 PM

I’m just curious, is anyone here actually allowing for the possibility this is all true?

You’re right to a) be skeptical, and b) not trust anything without proof, but by no means does that mean either of these four women are lying and herman cain is a totally innocent victim.

At the very least, we know for a -fact- (not speculation) they were paid settlements by the NRA. That is undisputed.

Taking a wait and see myself, but just assuming cain is 100% innocent because he said he is, well.. I remember a certain democrat from new york saying pretty much the same thing. And we all know how that turned out.

triple on November 7, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Since when do you go to a CEO for a job? How did she know him?

lovingmyUSA on November 7, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Why was she going to the CEO about a job, what was her “position”…did she work for Cain?

lovingmyUSA on November 7, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Opps…

lovingmyUSA on November 7, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Doughboy on November 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM

True. But fair weather supporters are going to go running to someone else, true or not. Cain said a few months ago “there are no skeletons in my closet” that was part of his appeal and thats gone away. Fairly or not.

nswider on November 7, 2011 at 2:42 PM

lovingmyUSA on November 7, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Long story, suggest transcript or video.

pambi on November 7, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I agree with you — see my post at 2:29 pm.

TeleL on November 7, 2011 at 2:45 PM

triple on November 7, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Yes , now there’s four real women pointing him out.
Two settled cases.
Not just rumors.

Could be a conspiracy, but it could be real too.

the_nile on November 7, 2011 at 2:48 PM

IMHO, still he said, she said.
Regardless of who’s been accused, I’m in the innocent until proven guilty camp.
Sadly, alot of voters aren’t.

pambi on November 7, 2011 at 2:50 PM

TeleL on November 7, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Yep, that’s a bridge too far.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2011 at 2:50 PM

I found her to be credible.

TeleL

So, you think a woman has to pick and choose when to report that someone has put their hand up her skirt, lol?

By the way, it wasn’t at work.

xblade on November 7, 2011 at 2:50 PM

With all that detail, I didn’t hear the part about Cain’s unzipped pants that exposed himself, because I just don’t know what good her head in his crotch would do otherwise. Surely she would have included that detail as she recounted her description. Otherwise, I don’t understand this scenario. Cain must not be a very experience sexual abuser.

Texas Gal on November 7, 2011 at 2:53 PM

LOL, TG !!

pambi on November 7, 2011 at 2:55 PM

pambi on November 7, 2011 at 2:55 PM

;)

Too much information, huh.

Texas Gal on November 7, 2011 at 3:01 PM

So she claims he put his hand up her skirt then tried to force her head into his crotch, and she didn’t report it? She is claiming he assaulted her and she did nothing?

Hard Right on November 7, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I’d hit them both….. with a frying pan.

El_Terrible on November 7, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I would’ve filed charges for such a blatant case of harrassment.
I mean to the cops.
That’s just me.

pambi

And you/she would have gotten laughed out of the precinct. Ok, not laughed out, but it would have gone nowhere.

xblade on November 7, 2011 at 3:09 PM

triple on November 7, 2011

I certainly think we should all be skeptical. BUT, the, uh, body count is up to four at this point, two with actual payouts and one who went public with her name and the most salacious of accusations. At some point our skepticism of these women might shift to skepticism of Cain’s denials. Its THAT tenuous.

Two things about what this new woman accused Cain of today: 1. Its suspicious that neither she nor her boyfriend reported that right away. 2. There’s no way to make a claim that those actions were just innocent gestures or some misunderstanding.

I hate Gloria Alred, but her MO is to but something out there, wait for the denials, and then show some kind of proof, a letter, receipts, etc. I can totally see her showing some paper trail to an upgrade to a suite at a hotel that fingers Cain. That’s how things went down with Meg Whitman, Scott Peterson and actually quite a few others.

The one thing in Cain’s defense is that these particular allegations seem over the top, like a caricature of a boorish cad. On the other hand, so did all the accusations against Clinton and until the stained blue dress there never was any real proof.

JonPrichard on November 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM

If this were true A)She should have reported it when it happened. B) she would have a better lawyer than Gloria “I love it when TSA pats me down” Allred.

Mini-14 on November 7, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I didn’t even CONSIDER that. It’s 4 women! I just changed my mind from “cautious skeptic” to “he’s freaking guilty”.

One woman is “he said she said”.

If you got four women after you? And two received settlements? Um, something happened. And it’s going to come out, in gory detail.

So much for 9-9-9, eh?

triple on November 7, 2011 at 6:29 PM

The presence of Gloria Allred doesn’t do a whole heck of a lot for your credibility.

curved space on November 8, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Allred is a DNC robot. They keep her stashed in a closet, take her out and wind her up when it’s time for another bogus lawsuit.

infidel4life on November 9, 2011 at 4:45 PM