Oklahoma still shaken after earthquake last night

posted at 4:00 pm on November 6, 2011 by Tina Korbe

A series of about 10 aftershocks — including two with 4.0 magnitudes — continued to rattle the Oklahoma City area this morning, after a 5.6 magnitude earthquake hit at around 10:50 p.m. last night. That earthquake itself followed a 4.7 magnitude quake early Saturday morning.

About 44 miles northeast of Oklahoma City, in Sparks, Okla., the epicenter of the quake, and in the surrounding areas, homeowners and businesses continue to report damage, but no injuries have been reported. The earthquake also caused Highway 62 to buckle in three sections — and the castle-like administration building of St. Gregory’s University in Shawnee sustained a collapsed spire, as well.

Slightly less severe than the 5.8 (originally reported as 5.9) magnitude quake that shook the East Coast earlier this year, the Oklahoma temblor was felt as far away as Wisconsin and Tennessee — and was the highest magnitude quake ever to rock the state. It’s not that earthquakes never hit Oklahoma — the state is shaken by about 50 a year — but it’s that they’re rarely this strong. Oklahomans might be accustomed to tornado cleanup — but they’re not used to earthquake-caused cracked cookie jars and crooked paintings.

In Stillwater, Okla., as a crowd of about 59,000 left T. Boone Pickens Stadium after a major Big 12 matchup, some fans were still so busy reliving the dramatic final seconds of the game that they didn’t feel the quake. Others were alerted to it by concerned text messages from family and friends. But, in the locker room, after the OSU Cowboys narrowly defeated the Kansas State Wildcats, at least a couple of the athletes were unnerved by the unusually active stadium:

“That shook up the place, had a lot of people nervous,” Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon said. “Yeah, it was pretty strong.” …

“Everybody was looking around, and no one had any idea,” Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden said. “We thought the people above us were doing something. I’ve never felt one, so that was a first.”

Earthquakes have lately been on the uptick in Oklahoma — particularly near Sparks — but seismologists aren’t sure why.

Comments

Obviously it’s Bush’s fault.

rbj on November 6, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I betcha there are billions of barrels of oil down there just gurgling up. The leftists will be quick to find an endangered prairie dog or something to keep us from drilling for it. /

ted c on November 6, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Sooner football is shakin’ it up baby.

mimi1220 on November 6, 2011 at 4:08 PM

“In Stillwater, Okla., as a crowd of about 59,000 left T. Boone Pickens Stadium after a major Big 12 matchup, some fans were still so busy reliving the dramatic final seconds of the game that they didn’t feel the quake. Others were alerted to it by concerned text messages from family and friends”

When you don’t know there’s been an earthquake until somebody texts you, I’m thinkin’ that’s probably the kind of earthquake I could manage pretty well.

whatcat on November 6, 2011 at 4:15 PM

When I was reading about this last night at some news sites, peeps in the comment section were blaming them on drilling.

karenhasfreedom on November 6, 2011 at 4:31 PM

That is a funny statement to me.

Because the plates MOVE?
derrrr

bridgetown on November 6, 2011 at 4:35 PM

As a Californian, I speeet on you puny 5.6 earthquake!feh!

In all honesty, I’ll take an earthquake any day over a tornado. If an earthquake levels my home, I know my possesions are still there – just buried under rubble. Not like a tornado that will take mother nature’s squeegee to everything I have and scatter it over 6 square miles!

kurtzz3 on November 6, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Global warming. Ain’t nothing it can’t do.

GarandFan on November 6, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Because the plates MOVE?
derrrr

bridgetown on November 6, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Oklahoma is not on the edge of the North American Plate like California. The mechanisms that cause quakes on the interior of a plate are different than those that occur where plates collide.

chemman on November 6, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Sooner football is shakin’ it up baby.

mimi1220 on November 6, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Boomer Sooner!!!

ButterflyDragon on November 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM

karenhasfreedom on November 6, 2011 at 4:31 PM

That will be the new meme to try and stop drilling for gas and oil and to halt geothermal projects.

chemman on November 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I work at Tinker AFB, and was on shift at the time. Shook for about 30-40 seconds. Felt like a cheap carnival ride. One of my Facebook friends said it is only a matter of time before it is blamed on fracking.

I like to think that God was relieving a bit of his own stress after that nail biter in Stillwater.

Tremor on November 6, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Obviously Obama is trying to kill white people. Duh.

salmonczar on November 6, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Tremor on November 6, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Perfect handle for this thread.

darwin-t on November 6, 2011 at 5:07 PM

We live outside Claremore, northeast of Tulsa. At 9:55, just after the OSU-KSU football game, our dogs (5-pointers started throwing fits. We then heard some noise like distant thunder in which we were interested because we are in a pretty bad drought. The rumbling got louder and louder and the house started shaking. It sounded like a jet engine reving right over our house, but not going anywhere. After another half a minute, the sound finally abated, seemingly traveling north.

Afterwards, our beautiful red/grey German pointer just laid on his back and shook and panted. He definitely took this hard. Half an hour later, he was still panting like he was running. Number 2 son and family was camping on Grand Lake (O’ the Cherokees) and heard and felt nothing. Number 1 son had scared and crying kida to comfort.

I loved the comments above. They are right down my alley. When the OCG asked what caused it I told her “Bush”. My visiting daughter who had just been in an earthquake elsewhere, but never one in Oklahoma, commented and I told her it was “the end of the world.” She said with obama, probably so.

Old Country Boy on November 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Voter from WA State on November 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM

The construction is very very different in this part of the country. I lived in the Bay area in CA for 5 years and lots of stucco and materials that are somewhat flexible for an EQ are used. In TX and OK, primarily brick and strength for storms. This did take the bricks off of several homes. You are correct – not a lot of damage, but enough.

mimi1220 on November 6, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Have relatives thar and last night was a treat.

I heards it hit like a jolt on Saturday morning (around 2am) then the one last night they said was stronger and lasted longer.

Just a few bricks out of place. Freaky for them I’m sure as they is a bit more used to Turnaders.

Sorry for them, I knewd it knocked a lot a jars of okra off the shelf.

Hang in thar Okies.

***shor nuf had one of the nutty relations say again that it’s drilling for oil and natural gas that’s causin it all. DURRR, What about before 1859? Did we ever has earthquakes before then. So frackin stupid (yuck, yuck, yuck….play on words).

She a real enviro-nut.

PappyD61 on November 6, 2011 at 5:24 PM

BTW, Don’t wait for the news to find out anything.

Just check Facebook and Twitter after you think something happens.

That’s the key.

I got tweets from all kinds of kinfolks there within a minute or two.

PappyD61 on November 6, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Latest Earthquakes M5.0+ in the World – Past 7 days
****************************************************

Latest Earthquakes Magnitude 5.0 and Greater in the World – Last 7 days
******

canopfor on November 6, 2011 at 5:27 PM

That’s the key.

I got tweets from all kinds of kinfolks there within a minute or two.

PappyD61 on November 6, 2011 at 5:26 PM

PappyD61:Heres another resouce,that’s how I found out,as
it wascoming in!!:)

=======================

Quick Pop in,Breaking News Alert
===================================

Update: Oklahoma earthquake collapses chimneys and walls, buckles roads in Lincoln County
1:17AM
******

Update: Lincoln County Emergency Management reports significant damage from Oklahoma earthquake
12:52AM
*******

Update: Oklahoma earthquake knocks TV off wall, wakes sleeper
12:35AM
*******

Update: USGS ups magnitude to 5.6 of 10:53 p.m. earthquake centered 44 miles east of Oklahoma City
12:33AM

Seismicity Map
***************

Oklahoma
Seismic Hazard Map
******************

canopfor on November 6, 2011 at 5:40 PM

We felt it here in Joplin too! Weirdest thing I’ve ever experienced.

laurakbarr on November 6, 2011 at 5:43 PM

To those who say they will take earthquakes over tornadoes any day, I say just the reverse! Here in Oklahoma you get plenty of warning to take precautions in the event of a tornado (It may not be that way in other states but here in Oklahoma we take extremely seriously and have the technology for ample warning!). I live fifteen miles from the epicenter and there is no warning at all!

fbcmusicman on November 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM

KOCO News
**********

Record Quake Damages Buildings Across Oklahoma
***********************************************

The United States Geological Survey upgrade a 5.2-magnitude earthquake in central Oklahoma to 5.6 late Saturday evening.
Live Wire
(Video’s)
==========

canopfor on November 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Like many Oklahomans, I was watching the news after the conclusion of the thrilling OSU win over K-State while chatting with my dad. A story about the 2am earthquake came on when this one hit – it lasted for more than 30 seconds at my place, which was a lot longer than the previous night. I could only conclude one thing:

God really wanted Kansas State to win that game.

/inb4OUfanstalkingsmack
//gopokes

elcapt on November 6, 2011 at 5:58 PM

5.6? Jeeeez! Get back to us when you guys hit the mid sixes. Out here in the People’s Republic of Kalifornia we don’t even break a sweat unless its over 6!

The War Planner on November 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM

It’s the precursor to the New Madrid mega-quake.

SouthernGent on November 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM

OKLAHOMA GEOLOGICAL SURVEY OBSERVATORY
OKLAHOMA EARTHQUAKE CATALOG
(Maps)
****************************

canopfor on November 6, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Oops,Linky glitchy!

canopfor on November 6, 2011 at 6:27 PM

It’s the precursor to the New Madrid mega-quake.
SouthernGent on November 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM

We’re all ! Doomed, I say!!
Oh no, wait – that was for the not-a-cane that leveled NYC, picking up skyscrapers and tossing them into the middle of the North Atlantic. Nevermiiiind….

whatcat on November 6, 2011 at 6:28 PM

The Sun,has been going bonkers as well,over
this last week!
====================

SOLAR ACTIVITY:

Sunspot AR1339 is crackling with M-class solar flares, unleashing at least five of them in the past 24 hours. The blasts have been coming with such thick frequency that photographer Randy Shivak of Elyria, Ohio, was able to catch one in action on Nov. 5th:

Even bigger eruptions are possible before the weekend is over. AR1339 has a delta-class magnetic field that harbors energy for X-class flares. The sunspot is turning toward Earth, so the odds of a geoeffective flare are increasing. Solar flare alerts:

=============================

canopfor on November 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM

My family text me at 11 pm last night from OK. Told me about the 5.6. That is significant, but I sleep through that level in LA. So what’s all the hubbub about…

jbh45 on November 6, 2011 at 6:36 PM

It woke me up from a dead sleep in Wichita. I had no idea what was going on, but it sounded like a B-1 bomber flying too low overhead and I tried to focus my eyes and felt like I couldn’t because everything was moving, although at the time I thought I was having a cerebral accident. I was so scared that I immediately fell back asleep and learned what it was this morning on Drudge.

bopbottle on November 6, 2011 at 6:48 PM

In all honesty, I’ll take an earthquake any day over a tornado. If an earthquake levels my home, I know my possesions awarninre still there – just buried under rubble. Not like a tornado that will take mother nature’s squeegee to everything I have and scatter it over 6 square miles!

kurtzz3 on November 6, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I’ll take tornados, thanks. You get warnings with a tornado and can go to a storm shelter. By the time we knew what was going on the earthquake was almost over.

Bobbertsan on November 6, 2011 at 7:00 PM

I felt it. The dogs started barking like maniacs, then I felt the sofa move. It was very brief, tho, and felt different from the kind of rolling quakes we would get in California.

NoLeftTurn on November 6, 2011 at 7:22 PM

One of the reasons this was unusual is that the USGS seismic facility at Leonard OK (just south of Tulsa) is one of the most stable places in the CONUS. It is so stable in fact that the gummint located the Soviet nuclear test detection facility there (where they monitored any cheating on the part of the US). I think it is now shut down, but I understand that some of the streets there had Russian names. And – because of oil, the USGS has been in OK for a very, very long time.

Old Country Boy on November 6, 2011 at 7:23 PM

The coming ice age!, er
Global warming!, er
Climate change!

Danny on November 6, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Just felt one jolt at 7:18 local time,felt it in my chair and heart the house shake. Near Tulsa.

gooddad on November 6, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Anthropomorphic Global Cooling.

Bring back FREON !!!

viking01 on November 6, 2011 at 8:43 PM

gooddad on November 6, 2011 at 8:30 PM

gooddad:Here are the Earthquake USA Maps,and data!!
=====================================================

Latest Earthquakes M1.0+ in the USA – Past 7 days

*******

Latest Earthquakes M3.0+ in the USA – Past 7 days

*******

canopfor on November 6, 2011 at 9:19 PM

It’s already being blamed on fracking. Fracking CAN cause very small earthquakes (1-2 on the Richter scale) but has nothing to do with this. Various geology groups are looking at fracking and long-term earthquake implications but there’s no clear evidence in any direction.

Hal_10000 on November 6, 2011 at 9:30 PM

I think the local geology might have been jealous of tornadoes getting all the media coverage, and just wanted some press.

listens2glenn on November 6, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Obviously it’s Bush’s fault.
rbj on November 6, 2011 at 4:04 PM

: )

I’ll be chuckling at that double entendre for a while.

listens2glenn on November 6, 2011 at 10:46 PM

jbh45 on November 6, 2011 at 6:36 PM

When you live with a gorilla watching other people react to a spider monkey can be a hoot.

Extrafishy on November 7, 2011 at 7:43 AM

Laughing at all the “big men” from CA who are feeling so very elite right now.

I’m in Tulsa, and went through the 30 second shaking (which I’ve never felt in all my visits to CA).

Let’s review 2011 so far in Oklahoma, okay?

February: -32F and 2-3 feet of snow. Coldest temperature in OK on record.
May: Two seperate EF-5 tornadoes.
July: 117F and record drought. Wildfires. Hottest summer in OK on record. Also hottest place in US in 2011.
November: 5.6 magnitude earthquake.

Californians would never have survived until November to experience the “sissy quake.” We still have two months to go, so I’m thinking we’ll either have a CAT2 hurricane or a volcanic eruption to cap off the year.

Beo on November 7, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Laughing at all the “big men” from CA who are feeling so very elite right now.

Beo on November 7, 2011 at 10:33 AM

They have to, to deflect from thoughts of their deficit. But when their *big* quake hits all of you in Oklahoma will be donating to the reconstruction of California.

Yoop on November 7, 2011 at 10:55 AM

The underlying rock is denser, the further east you go in North America. A 5.6 propagates further and more effectively east of the Rockies. Here in California (and in Western Nevada and Baja), quakes of that magnitude are relatively common, but unless they generate sympathetic temblors in the interconnected fault zones, their effects don’t spread nearly as far.

Like some above, I’ll take a tornado over an earthquake any day. And yes, I know what I’m talking about: I’m an Okie born and (largely) bred. Been through plenty of tornadoes. You get a good 15 minutes’ warning for a tornado now. With an earthquake, you never have even half a second’s warning. Every rattle comes out out of the blue, and could be the Big One.

J.E. Dyer on November 7, 2011 at 11:59 AM

/inb4OUfanstalkingsmack
//gopokes

elcapt on November 6, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I’m glad you’re here.

Dr. Conservative on November 7, 2011 at 2:05 PM

J.E. Dyer on November 7, 2011 at 11:59 AM

And you can dodge tornadoes (for the most part.) But where are you going to run from an earthquake?

Beo on November 7, 2011 at 3:11 PM