NFL Week 9 open thread

posted at 11:30 am on November 6, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

All right, you guys.  Some of you scoffed at my predictive abilities when I said the Steelers would beat the New England Patriots.  In your defense, maybe you had a point when I couldn’t come up with a good reason why the Steelers would beat the Patriots, but clearly my intuition is just sooo freaking awesome that from now on, you should just consider me a genius and let it go at that.  Fortunately, this week I think Pittsburgh can use its pressing defense to take away the offense of the Baltimore Ravens when they come to Heinz Field today.  This should be a low-scoring game, but expect the Steelers to avenge the beating they took early in the season with a 20-9 home win.

Speaking of my fabulous intuition, how did I do with the rest of my picks last week?  Er … not too bad, 4-2, taking my season record to 31-17.  Can I do better this week?

• Packers at Chargers — The Chargers are undefeated at home, and smarting after an OT road loss in Kansas City.  Green Bay is coming off of its bye week, which has tripped up most of the other teams in the league.  Recipe for an upset?  Well … maybe, but Green Bay would have to lose a lot of steam in the bye to allow the Chargers to surprise them.  I’ll go with a close win for the Pack on the road, 30-24.
  • Giants at Patriots — The Pats also lost a tough game on the road and come home to fight a good team — but the Giants are not good enough.  New York might try to duplicate Pittsburgh’s defensive strategy, but Bill Belichick will have a week to prepare for that, too.  Pats top Giants, 33-21.
  • 49ers at Redskins — The 49ers have quietly become one of the top teams in the NFL, and it’s not a fluke.  They’re undefeated on the road, while the Redskins have lost one game at home, and let’s face it, they’re not impressing too many people this year anyway.  Don’t expect San Francisco to be too intimidated, winning 28-20.
  • Bengals at Titans — Cincinnati is another team having a surprisingly good year, tied with Pittsburgh and Baltimore in the loss column for the AFC North lead (Pittsburgh has played one more game than either). They have played well on the road (3-1), but Tennessee is 3-1 at home, too.  This should be a close, exciting game, but Tennessee has the worst rushing offense and only a middling pass offense, while the Bengals rank 2nd and 9th in defense in those areas, respectively.  Bengals win one on the road and challenge the winner of the Pittsburgh/Ravens game for the division lead with a 27-24 win in Tennessee — maybe in OT.
  • Buccaneers at Saints — Like San Diego and New England, New Orleans just suffered a tough loss — and not just tough but downright embarrassing, to the lowly and previously-winless St. Louis Rams.  The Saints are now 2-3 on the road, but they’re undefeated at home, and the Bucs are just 1-1 on the road this season.  Drew Brees will be looking for a little redemption in this game, plus the Bucs are challenging the Saints for the division lead.  Key matchup is New Orleans’ top-ranked passing offense against Tampa Bay’s 26th-ranked passing defense.  At home, that’s a recipe for a rout.  New Orleans 42, Bucs 21.

Comments

Go Steelers!!!

CW on November 6, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Gotta go with all of Ed’s winners.

CW on November 6, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Picking up where I left off in the Green Room;

I believe the BEST football games are hard-hitting, low-scoring defensive games.
Games where the both defenses make the biggest plays in the game.
Last night in Tuscaloosa, Al was everything I could have hoped for.
Well, I was pulling for “Bama. Almost perfect.

listens2glenn on November 6, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I like your pics this week Ed. Good luck.

•Buccaneers at Saints — Like San Diego and New England, New Orleans just suffered a tough loss — and not just tough but downright embarrassing, to the lowly and previously-winless St. Louis Rams.

Can we give a little credit to the St. Louis Cardinals for inspiring them “lowly” Rams?

Rovin on November 6, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Er … not too bad, 4-2, taking my season record to 31-17. Can I do better this week?

No worries Ed….Obama just called – he says your at 80%.

Tim_CA on November 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM

If the Redskins score 20 points against the 49ers the league should step in and give them a half victory.

Sorta’ like hockey.

No way do they get 20 unless the defense and special teams scores 3 touchdowns.

SteveMG on November 6, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Do we want to ‘make book’ as to which team (Steelers or Ravens) will commit the most personal fouls?

listens2glenn on November 6, 2011 at 11:50 AM

listens2glenn on November 6, 2011 at 11:50 AM

That’s an easy one: the Raiders

darwin-t on November 6, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Go Texans! We should beat Cleveland today and go 6-3 atop the AFC South! Go Cincy, beat the Titans!

cartooner on November 6, 2011 at 11:58 AM

There’s something about Left coast teams heading east for the early game and losing. Even though, SF is better imho than Washington, I have Washington for my upset special.

Neo-con Artist on November 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Picking up where I left off in the Green Room;

Games where the both defenses make the biggest plays in the game.
Last night in Tuscaloosa, Al was everything I could have hoped for.
Well, I was pulling for “Bama. Almost perfect.

listens2glenn on November 6, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Thanks for plugging the Greenroom post glenn, but I’ve got to disagree about that game being “one of the best”.

One sportswriter said:

Classics don’t have four interceptions, four missed field goals, 13 penalties, one fumble, botched punt returns and zero touchdowns. A punter shouldn’t be the best player on the field in a classic.

My take on the game:

Now, as to the “Game of the Century” last night (that wasn’t), I’m still working on a posting for my Greenroom thread analyzing the LSU/BAMA game. Color me unimpressed. One sportswriter, (John Rozum, at the bleacher report) said, “All this being said, the Oklahoma State Cowboys look very susceptible as evidenced by their 52-45 win over Kansas State at home. The Pokes aren’t known nearly for their defense as their offense, and you know there’s no way they’d score 52 on Alabama or LSU.” My response to Mr. Rozum, “well, no, John, all the Pokes would have to do is score 10 points.”

After further review………..this game sucked. Who ever was calling the plays for Alabama in their last two possessions should be fired. And who ever decided to put Maze back into the kick receiving—while the ball sailed over his head giving up 30 plus yards—should have his head examined. On second thought, enough of the “who-evers”, this loss by Alabama falls squarely on Nick Saban. ROVIN

Neither QB impressed me,(or was it three QB’s), which is why the score was 9-6. Good defense? You bet. But LSU better find some offense soon.

Rovin on November 6, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Crap, I’m panic-ing looking for the 49er game all over the channels, and then it hits me! Duh, time-change! Time to “fall back”.

Rovin on November 6, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Some factoids from that Steelers-Patriots game last week-

1. Tom Brady still finished with a higher QB rating in the game than Ben.

2. The Pats D only gave up 6 points (2 FGs) to the Steelers in the second half. The Pats Offense gave up 2 more. Not too shabby for a unit that’s been widely maligned of late here in New England.

3. One game does not a season make. Remember, last year the Patriots cleaned the clocks of the Steelers, but it was the Steelers who wound up in the Super Bowl.

The Patriots will be in for a struggle today against the Giants. At last count at least 9 key players will be missing, including Law Firm.

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Huge win for Bills if they can get by that Jets team-here’s hoping!

Static21 on November 6, 2011 at 12:25 PM

No Vikings this week – well at least they can’t lose LOL!

gophergirl on November 6, 2011 at 12:27 PM

As I type, I am early on in the process of transferring a lot of DVR programs I taped to the ultra-cool DVR BURNER I got for Christmas in 2009 but just yet got around to learning.

Just finished editing and burning the 2009 NFC Championship, Vikings vs. Saints.

Having to watch it through again and edit it, say what you will about Brett Favre, I think his performance in the game was the gutsiest I saw in my lifetime. Took hit after hit, taped it up, kept going, wouldn’t give up.

Yes, he finally had a killing INT, but his team fumbled what, 5 times? Take away those fumbles, and a couple questionable calls in favor of my Saints (yes, in retrospect, the Saints got some calls they didn’t deserve), and Favre might have finished his career as Super Bowl champion. Fate turns on such little things.

Hat off to Brett Favre for a career for the ages.

cane_loader on November 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Dear God:

kaw-kaw, RAYYYYYYYYYvins.

(oh and with a side helping of a beatdown of the BLUE PONIES of Indiana).

Thank you, that is all.
Amen.

PappyD61 on November 6, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Don’t give them much of a chance in the Black Hole, but GO BRONCOS

Fynxbell on November 6, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Saints need this one against Tampa Bay, after last week’s unaffordable loss to St. Louis. When you lose a game like that that’s an automatic win, in my book, that makes the next game a MUST win, no matter who the opponent.

cane_loader on November 6, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Steelers 24 Ravens 16
Patriots 31 Giants 23
Chargers 30 Pack 20
Bengals 24 Titans 13
Saints 37 Bucs 28

shanimal on November 6, 2011 at 12:56 PM

When you lose a game like that(,) that’s an automatic win, in my book, that makes the next game a MUST(-) win, no matter who the opponent.

cane_loader on November 6, 2011 at 12:52 PM

the comma makes it easier for me to understand my own writing <:-/

cane_loader on November 6, 2011 at 1:10 PM

How is Brady doing physically? Haven’t been following closely enough to know how well he recovered from his leg(?) injury(ies?)?

cane_loader on November 6, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Go Bengals!! (how ’bout them Bearcats??!)

… and go Ravens.

knob on November 6, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Go Bengals!! (how ’bout them Bearcats??!)

knob on November 6, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Yeh tough schedule. Both of them.

CW on November 6, 2011 at 1:25 PM

The Steelers still have that week 1 stink on them… not sure if they can wash it off yet…

Khun Joe on November 6, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Go Bengals!! (how ’bout them Bearcats??!)

knob on November 6, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Yeh tough schedule. Both of them.

CW on November 6, 2011 at 1:25 PM

The Saints and Packers are tied for the 13th toughest schedule. Isn’t that an unlucky number?

The Bengals Strength of Schedule is tied for 27th place. The other 27th place team plays in…Pittsburgh.

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Means they have average schedule. I’ll take that. If my team’s better, I’ll still kick butt.

cane_loader on November 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2011 at 1:37 PM

cane_loader on November 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Remember when the Saints were unfairly stuck for years in the NFC West? They never had a chance against the 49ers, who it later was determined were Cheating with the Salary Cap.

In many of those seasons the 49ers had some of the easiest schedules in the NFL, mainly because they played (and beat) the Saints, Atlanta and St. Louis twice each every season.

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Huge win for Bills if they can get by that Jets team-here’s hoping!

Static21 on November 6, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Ban hammer please…

JetBoy on November 6, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Not giving my Cowboys more than 7-9 this year. Garrett and Romo don’t mesh well. imho. Coach is too conservative, and he’s trying to mold his qb into the same.

On the bright side, Murray reminds me of another rb from the 70′s, name of Duane Thomas. Same fluid style, giving the appearance of no effort expended, yet the yards are there. Be interesting to see if he gets the start for the remainder of the season.

irongrampa on November 6, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Just a general comment. Is it just me or has the quality of play severely dropped off in the NFL? Linemen jumping offsides, poor passing decisions, dropped passes, terrible tackling techniques, etc. Too many prima donnas and not enough “Lombardi-like” coaches who aren’t interested in being BFFs with their players. I remember much better play in years past when the players made far less money. They had a love of the game, not a love of the camera.

fogw on November 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Steelers 24 Ravens 16
Patriots 31 Giants 23
Chargers 30 Pack 20
Bengals 24 Titans 13
Saints 37 Bucs 28

shanimal on November 6, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Doubtful the Charger defense can hold the Pack offense to just 20 points. Too many weapons.

chewmeister on November 6, 2011 at 2:59 PM

fogw on November 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM
You need to watch a Packer game. Their receivers are pretty amazing with some of the catches they’ve made. Especially Jennings.

chewmeister on November 6, 2011 at 3:02 PM

You know who else cheats? :)

JetBoy on November 6, 2011 at 3:14 PM

chewmeister on November 6, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Obviously, my comments weren’t directed at the level of play of the best team in the NFL.

They were focused on the plethora of mediocre teams made mediocre by playing like a high school team raher than a fine-tuned, professional NFL team.

cheers,

fogw on November 6, 2011 at 3:14 PM

You know who else cheats? :)

JetBoy on November 6, 2011 at 3:14 PM

eh — eh —I know where you’re goin’..

ZIP IT! ZZ-ZZ-ZZ-ZZZZZipit!

lol

cane_loader on November 6, 2011 at 3:33 PM

You know who else cheats? :)

JetBoy on November 6, 2011 at 3:14 PM

It could credibly be argued that the 49ers’ Cheating on the salary cap resulted in their winning 10 games a season every season from 1991 until 1999; during that time they won a Super Bowl and 5 Divisional titles and were in the Playoffs 7 of those 9 years. And remember, it was the SF team owner who turned the team in to the NFL for Cheating, not an opposing team’s complaints.

BTW today your Jets Cheated 9 times for 64 yards in penalties. The Bills Cheated 6 times for 84 yards.

Next question?

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2011 at 4:19 PM

fogw on November 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Could be because of the delayed start to NFL training camps this year due to the 18 week NFL lockout, which didn’t end until the last week in July.

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Well, the Law Firm is playing-in fact he got 18 yards on his first run. Guess he got better between this morning and now?

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Anyone know how the Packers are doing? I can’t get the game. :-(

IrishEi on November 6, 2011 at 5:39 PM

IrishEi on November 6, 2011 at 5:39 PM
Pack 28 Chargers 17 at the half. You can get a radio broadcast of the game online like I am, or go to Foxsports,com for score results.

chewmeister on November 6, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Speaking of the 49ers, here’s what a classy former Niner had to say on his radio show:

“Tim Tebow, I can’t put him to sleep yet because he’s the only virgin in the NFL. OK? You can’t hate the guy,” he said. “For the guys that try to hit him hard and talk smack and stuff, you know, he just looks at them and says ‘God Bless You.’”

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Del, you‘re such a piece of work, you could pass for a liberal spreading the same garbage over and over again figuring some one’s going to believe it.

First of all, the Forty Niners had FOUR SUPERBOWL TITLES before the salary cap was even installed, (1993). Secondly, they were the Los Angeles Rams and they dominated the Niners for most of the 60’s and 70’s. In the late 70’s and early 80’s the Saints were called the Aints and for good reason, they were a pathetic ball club at the time. So was the ownership and their QB, (Archie Manning). Saints fans would show up at the stadium with paper bags over their heads. That all changed in the mid 80’s.

The Saints had a successful stretch from 1987–1992, when the team made the playoffs four times and had winning records in the non-playoff seasons.

During the 49ers great run, (1981-1995), the Falcons were in the playoffs in 1978, 1980, 1982, 1991, and knocked the Niners out of a playoff spot with an identical 10-6 record in 1991. Yes, we kicked the Rams butts in the 80’s and it was sweet, but your “yeah but the 49ers got to play these patsy teams twice every year” is pretty weak.

The 49ers are the only multiple Super Bowl winner that has never lost and are 5-0. Their run of five Super Bowl wins in 14 seasons (1981–1994) solidified them as one of the all time greatest NFL teams, and they didn’t do this just winning their division. They defeated all comers while winning five Conference championships, 17 Division championships in 23 Playoff appearances. Almost all of these records were completed long BEFORE the salary caps that you’ve been whining about for two years…….give it a break pal.

Rovin on November 6, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Anyone know how the Packers are doing? I can’t get the game. :-(

IrishEi on November 6, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Currently Packers ahead, 31-24

Ugly on November 6, 2011 at 6:37 PM

And right after I post that, they score again.

38-24

Ugly on November 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Ugly on November 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM
They’re knocking on the Chargers’ door again.

chewmeister on November 6, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Ugly on November 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM
And again!

chewmeister on November 6, 2011 at 6:54 PM

A 49ers fan proves my point. Thank you.

Notice, Students, how the Subject first insults me personally, even though I included absolutely no insulting language in the 2:10 PM post cited. Who’s the one using Liberal “Logic” here? You’re employing Classic Alinsky.

Next the Subject introduces evidence totally irrelevant to the discussion, as I never in my post mentioned the 49ers’ 4 Super Bowl wins that took place before the salary cap was introduced. I never questioned those wins. Why even bother to bring them up?

And please, no need to recite the Saints history; I have been a Saints fan since 1967.

Face it, the 49ers still had to win their Division to get to the Playoffs in most of those years-did they ever go to the Playoffs as a Wild Card?

The Saints and Falcons never belonged in that division in the first place, but the NFL let them languish there for decades.

The jealous Patriots-Haters here always ask “why haven’t the Patriots won a Super Bowl since Spygate?” I could ask the same question of your 49ers, who basically haven’t won a thing since the Salary Cap fiasco was decided by the NFL in 2000.

Since then they have exactly 1 Division Championship, and only 2 Playoff appearances in total. And no Super Bowl titles in almost 20 years.

Del Dolemonte on November 6, 2011 at 6:55 PM

BRONCOS WIN IN THE BLACK HOLE!!! LIFE IS GOOD FOR THE NEXT WEEK!!!

Fynxbell on November 6, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Misleading at best and the point was that you inferred all 49er victories were some how tainted.

Again, you’re implying that the only reason the 49er had all those victories was because of salary cap infractions, which is total BS.

A 49ers fan proves my point. Thank you.

Seriously Del, what point? That you’ve been calling the Forty Niners cheaters for so long, that some one actually believes this garbage or really cares? Or, did the Niners beat one of your favorite teams this year? ‘Cause your argument that this, (the salary cap infractions) is the only reason why the Niners were so successful for so long wearing pretty thin…… kind of like an OWS convention.

Rovin on November 6, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Packers, 8 & 0!
46-38

Ugly on November 6, 2011 at 7:34 PM

oops, 45-38

Ugly on November 6, 2011 at 7:36 PM

It just dawned on me, that your Saints, (congrats on the win today) got some revenge for getting beaten by the Bucks earlier…..you know, that team that the Niners destroyed 48-3.

See ya in the playoffs………:)

Rovin on November 6, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Steelers Take The Lead!

Tim_CA on November 6, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Ravens over Steelers 23-20

Ugly on November 6, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Ravens over Steelers 23-20

Ugly on November 6, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Great Ending!!

Tim_CA on November 6, 2011 at 11:50 PM

92 yards? 92 yards?!! Steeler defense, where were you?

conservative pilgrim on November 6, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Great Ending!!

Tim_CA on November 6, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Awesome game =)

Ugly on November 6, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Great Ending!!

Tim_CA on November 6, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Awesome game =)

Ugly on November 6, 2011 at 11:53 PM

I suddenly do not like either one of you.

/kidding. sort of.

conservative pilgrim on November 6, 2011 at 11:56 PM

conservative pilgrim on November 6, 2011 at 11:56 PM

lol… ;)

Ugly on November 6, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Ugly on November 6, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Yes, I’m sulking. 0-2 against the ravens. ugh. Unbearable.

conservative pilgrim on November 7, 2011 at 12:02 AM

See ya in the playoffs………:)

Rovin on November 6, 2011 at 7:46 PM

The Bucks are psychotic. They always play the Saints tough, go back in history.

As for your team you pretty much have a Patsy Schedule the rest of the year, so what are you worried about? The other teams in your Division ARE Chopped Liver, pretty much.

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Fortunately, this week I think Pittsburgh can use its pressing defense to take away the offense of the Baltimore Ravens when they come to Heinz Field today. This should be a low-scoring game, but expect the Steelers to avenge the beating they took early in the season with a 20-9 home win.

Thank you Flacco, Lewis, Suggs, Smith, Rice and company for proving him wrong.

Christian Conservative on November 7, 2011 at 12:28 AM

The Ravens are my favorite team.

I love ravens.

Edgar Allen Poe is a favorite of mine.

And I have an officially NFL sanctioned key holder.

That Raven emblem is way cooler than that of the Steelers.

I guess Pittsburgh heard that tapping on it’s steel chamber door!

Anyway hard fought game and that’s just all right.

Sherman1864 on November 7, 2011 at 3:23 AM

The refs just called another penalty on the Steel guys.

Somebody tell them the game’s over.

Critique of Raven Emblem

The uniforms with birds are some sort of a latent homosexual message. Flapping around like drama queens, colorful feathers, worms in their beaks, skinny legs, you get the idea. Mostly applies to the fans. We need a study.

So you can see it in different ways.

IlikedAUH2O on November 7, 2011 at 5:20 AM

Ed’s thread subtitle is “revenge.” And although it was meant to imply steelers’ revenge for the week one thrashing by the ravens, in a longer view, what happened last night was exactly that, revenge. One might attritube the week one steelers debacle to the disorganization that often accompanies the opening of a season. But in most close steelers/ravens games, the steelers have triumphed. Last night, the ravens won, and in so doing, they may have turned the tide in their favor in the rivalry.

WordsMatter on November 7, 2011 at 5:36 AM

Ravens 23 – Steelers 20. Oh, what a beautiful thing!!!! The monkey – is finally of the backs of the Ravens, and Joe Flacco. he took them over 80 yards in the final 2 minutes and scores the winning touchdown with a perfect pass. Both teams are great, even though I love to “hate” the Steelers. They are both better than the Packers and it is a shame they are in the same division. What a Super Bowl THAT would be.

HomeoftheBrave on November 7, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Patriots and Steelers. Are there two more overrated teams in the NFL right now??

doufree on November 7, 2011 at 8:49 AM

doufree on November 7, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Both teams lost by less than a touchdown. As far as the Patriots go, they were without 8 of their better players yesterday, and their best RB, Law Firm, was not even supposed to play yesterday because he was hurting too. They still came back.

As for Pitt, they had twice as many penalties as the Ravens last night. That certainly didn’t help.

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2011 at 10:04 AM

*snicker*

Well, ya got the 20 part right!

nukemhill on November 7, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Harbaugh Bowl on Thanksgiving says otherwise.

nukemhill on November 7, 2011 at 2:00 PM

WordsMatter on November 7, 2011 at 5:36 AM

Word.

nukemhill on November 7, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Harbaugh Bowl on Thanksgiving says otherwise.

nukemhill on November 7, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Well, that game is an inter-conference game, so the outcome of it won’t have as much impact on the Conference standings as if it were SF playing a NFC team that day with a similar record.

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2011 at 6:00 PM