Limbaugh: We need “a Republican Larry Flynt” to pay for proof of sexual harassment by libs

posted at 8:35 pm on November 5, 2011 by Tina Korbe

As I wrote earlier this week, I don’t particularly like to dedicate much time or attention to the Herman Cain sexual harassment story: The networks and Politico have given it enough. More eyeballs need to be on Barack Obama, who continues to spout obnoxious justifications of his jobs bill and who didn’t do much to demonstrate strong leadership at G-20. (“What the world looks for in moments such as this is action,” he said at its conclusion. Wow! So specific! Why no action, then?)

Nevertheless, this proposition from Rush Limbaugh is too irresistibly interesting and provocative to not write about:

“If we had a Republican Larry Flynt — this guy, I would urge him to wave around $50,000 for proof of sexual harassment at Politico,” Limbaugh said. “I mean, that’s what Larry Flynt does. He waves around $100,000, $50,000 for proof of sex with a Republican. So if we had a Republican Larry Flynt — you want strategy Mr. Gregory? I got one. We have our Larry Flynt offer $50,000 for any news, any proof, quote, unquote ‘proof’ of sexual harassment at the Politco office. And we can win it because the rules have been established by Politico. The truth is whatever the accuser says.

“So we wave around $50,000, we get some woman to come forward and say, ‘Yes, I got harassed at the Politico offices,’ and it’s over because she says so,” Limbaugh said. “We’re supposed to automatically believe — you see how this could work? Our ‘Larry Flynt’ waves $50,000 around for proof of sexual harassment by anyone at Politico then a woman says, ‘It happened. Give me the money.’ What happened? ‘Well, I was in there once and David Gregory or David Gergen,’ pick a name, ‘hit on me’ or ‘made me feel nervous.’”

Plenty of pundits have pointed out just how sloppy the journalism behind the initial Politico report appears to have been — and critics have also called into question Politico’s willingness to stoke the controversy by not merely allowing speculation about its sources to arise — but by reporting accusations that this or that camp is behind the report, along with denials from both Rick Perry’s campaign and Mitt Romney’s camp. Here’s Andrew McCarthy, eloquently expounding that theme:

But we’ve learned the most about Politico. Look, for example, at thisPolitico this morning had a post about how, after Cain blamed Perry for being the source of the sexual-harassment story, Perry promptly turned around and floated Romney as the likely source. Yes, congratulations GOP on the circular firing squad — but that’s not the point. The point is:Politico knows who the source is.

This isn’t a game-show where the host has the answer on his little card and his job is to have the contestants keep guessing until someone stumbles into the right answer. This is supposed to be news coverage — professional journalism about a serious matter with a goal of edifying the reader about what actually happened.

Politico has now framed discovery of the identity of the source as is a noteworthy story. Yet,Politico knows that if the identity of the source is a story, it is only because Politico itself is being coy. Politico has reported that Perry may be the source and that Romney may be the source. Yet, Politico knows precisely whether the Perry campaign or the Romney campaign (or both . . . or neither) is the source. It is thus almost certainly true that at least some of the conflicting allegations Politico is airing are known by Politico to be false. In fact, both the Perry and Romney camps have denied involvement — if it so happens that one of those camps is the source, then Politico knows the denial is a lie, yet it published the denial anyway. That would amount to colluding with its source in order to tarnish Cain while fraudulently portraying its source as above the fray.

Given that Politico knows the source of the story, the paper could either (a) completely respect the anonymity of the sources and stay silent on the speculation or (b) report the truth when a false accusation is made. (I.e. “Cain has accused the Perry camp, but no member of Perry’s campaign was among the sources for our story.”) If they insist on using anonymous sources in the first place, I’d say (a) would be the most respectable route, but that’s just me.

In glorious Rush fashion, though, Limbaugh doesn’t even go in this direction. He just says, “Fine. That’s how you wanna play? That’s how we’ll play.”

It’s just Rush rhetoric, I know: No Republican Larry Flynt exists and, if he did, conservatives who care about the truth would feel sick to their stomachs about it. But it fantastically makes this point: We don’t have to play their game at all. Let them rile themselves up; we still have the choice to stay focused on real stories and substantive issues — and that’s what we’ll do.

Comments

it’s a tweak. A thought exercise. If you know and love and listen to Limbaugh, that’s what he does.

ted c on November 5, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I saw politico’s offices once, walked by them with my wife. I think some guy came out of there and leered at her butt.

I think I should sue.

ted c on November 5, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Ha ha. Rush already knows that that’s his job. He’s got the $ to pay for the tips, too.

cynccook on November 5, 2011 at 8:43 PM

You time is better spent posting the daily abortion posts.

Pablo Honey on November 5, 2011 at 8:59 PM

You time is better spent posting the daily abortion posts.

Pablo Honey on November 5, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Go back under your rock. You are as pathetic as they get.

CW on November 5, 2011 at 9:01 PM

You time is better spent posting the daily abortion posts.

Pablo Honey on November 5, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Damn straight, man.

We need those so we can argue with each, right Pablo?

listens2glenn on November 5, 2011 at 9:03 PM

We need those so we can argue with each other, right Pablo?

listens2glenn on November 5, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Ay Carumba

listens2glenn on November 5, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Pablo Honey on November 5, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Are you a blog critic?

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2011 at 9:05 PM

What would be the point of exposing sexual harassment at Politico?

Politico, and the rest of the marxists media, only has power because the Republican Party lets them have power. Conservatives shouldn’t even be acknowledging the existence of the marxist propagandists, but instead they are letting them host Republican debates.

Buddahpundit on November 5, 2011 at 9:05 PM

That’s that problem with the GOP, they play by the rules set by the Democrats for them. When will the GOP develop a pair and actually stand up and say enough is enough and start playing by the Dems rules and use them against them. Rush is right, if that’s the rules then Conservatives should be playing by them until the Libs decide that it’s not working out for them and stop doing it. Nice guys finish last, especially in politics and it’s time for the GOP to wise up or just quit so we can get a party that actually will.

flytier on November 5, 2011 at 9:14 PM

True, we haven’t got a Republican Larry Flynt…

…but we have a Donald Trump!

Com’on! Like you can’t see him doing this!!

tikijack on November 5, 2011 at 9:22 PM

You time is better spent posting the daily abortion posts.

Pablo Honey on November 5, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Is English “you” second language?

BierManVA on November 5, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Democrats harrass me all the time. My wallet is truly raped each week.

SouthernGent on November 5, 2011 at 9:30 PM

did rush go all crazy when they were asking for anybody to step up if they had sex with PErry??? Just asking.

Bullhead on November 5, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Democrats harrass me all the time. My wallet is truly raped each week.

SouthernGent on November 5, 2011 at 9:30 PM

: )

listens2glenn on November 5, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I think it would be interesting to expose the media. We might not elect them but I have a hard time believing they are qualified to be moral arbitrators. Especially since they are unequal in their coverage.

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2011 at 9:51 PM

I laughed my butt off in my car while he was doing this bit yesterday… Kept trying to think of who would be the closest to that type on the conservative side… Breitbart comes to mind as closest… any others?

RalphyBoy on November 5, 2011 at 9:53 PM

We don’t have to play their game at all.

Um….never have.

Tim_CA on November 5, 2011 at 9:59 PM

You time is better spent posting the daily abortion posts.

Pablo Honey on November 5, 2011 at 8:59 PM

You stay classy sweatheart.

Tim_CA on November 5, 2011 at 10:02 PM

You time is better spent posting the daily abortion posts.

Pablo Honey on November 5, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Did you buy one of those new “I wish my mommy had aborted me” shirts yet? Or are you still wearing the “I wish my mommy had the option to abort me” shirt?

RalphyBoy on November 5, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Rush is unique. His ability to thread a conversation with Semtex is uncanny.

platypus on November 5, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Politico leered at her butt.

I think I should sue.

ted c on November 5, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Ha, he leered at mine too, and I promise you your wife’s is better.

leftnomore on November 5, 2011 at 10:05 PM

RalphyBoy on November 5, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Didn’t take long for a commenter to follow in Rush’s footprints. Nicely done.

platypus on November 5, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Hahaha…but I would contribute to a fund for that.

tinkerthinker on November 5, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Politico leered at her butt.

ted c on November 5, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Ha, he leered at mine too, and I promise you your wife’s is better.

leftnomore on November 5, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I’m pretty sure we don’t want to go there.

platypus on November 5, 2011 at 10:07 PM

As someone who is among the “extremely conservative,” I wouldn’t feel remotely sick, disgusted, ashamed or even bothered if a wealthy conservative offered x-dollars for proof of Donkeys behaving abhorrently. Remember: these people are politicians and given a helluva lot of trust and authority, so they shouldn’t have be worried about getting their hands caught in interns’ (or anyone else’s) honeypot. Two wrongs don’t make a right, but I don’t see anything wrong in offering a financial incentive for a person to bring forward proof of sexual wrong-doing among Donkeys.

elcapt on November 5, 2011 at 10:10 PM

There was a time when Rush was interesting..now he is just a race baiting bag of wind.

Terrye on November 5, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Speaking of playing…this is the same Rush Limbaugh who said that Romney was a true conservative just three years ago, right? If the man was a Rino..we would call that flip flopping..but since it is the glorious Rush Limbaugh we will just let all that go down the old memory hole and act like he still matters.

Terrye on November 5, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Terrye on November 5, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Race baiting…it that what we are calling…”the rest of the story”?

Electrongod on November 5, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Rush has the bucks, let him bait the hooks.

profitsbeard on November 5, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Pablo’s gay so its obsession with the right to abortion is beyond me. Wait til they find the gay gene Pablo. Your liberal friends will be aborting gays left and right .

CW on November 5, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Brrreeiiibbart!

strictnein on November 5, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Good idea? ABSOLUTELY, but the price is way too high.

I’ll PERSONALLY offer $10,000.00 for a woman who workED for Politico to come forward at a press conference in which I’ll invite [to be named] of the Politico to show up and refute MY allegations publically. The pic of the look on the guys face when the woman appears and sticks her finger in his face would be priceless. /sarc

DannoJyd on November 5, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Brrreeiiibbart!

strictnein on November 5, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Breitbart barely has enough money to keep his utilities on at his workplace.

V-rod on November 5, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Proposed Motto: “There’s no fire without Flynt.”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on November 5, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Maybe there is no Republican Larry Flynt offering money for evidence of Democratic sex scandals because…because nobody has that much money!

Czarkazm on November 5, 2011 at 11:46 PM

RalphyBoy on November 5, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I have a shirt that says, “I wish your mother had aborted you!” The best argument for abortion is all around us.

keep the change on November 6, 2011 at 12:12 AM

When there was such a thing as “journalistic ethics” – which has now become almost a contradiction in terms for most of the media – anonymous sources were permitted only under strict guidelines.

First, the source must be in need of protection for fear of genuine retaliation. A person whose job and livelihood was at stake could be protected, and of course if their life were put in danger. But other than that, anonymity wasn’t granted. Not wanting your name in the papers wasn’t good enough.

The old ethical rule was you didn’t use such sources at all for a story, but only to point to someone who might go on the record.

IF there was a genuinely qualified and deserving anonymous source, it still could not be used as the sole source for a fact. Someone had to confirm it on the record, or their story could be confirmed from other publicly available information – but if not, they would not be used as a source.

Even so, back in the day editors hated to use anonymous sources at all because they viewed them all as suspect, and expected readers to do the same.

All that is pretty much water under the bridge today. Most of the media is not only biased, but perfectly willing to deceive their audience to promote the leftist narrative and protect leftist politicians.

BUT that doesn’t mean we need a “right wing Larry Flynt” to out the leftists. Using their own tactics may appear just, but it only lowers us to their level. We can and will defeat and vanquish their foul ideology by doing it honestly and above board, in a manner we will be proud to retell to our great-grandchildren.

Adjoran on November 6, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Adjoran on November 6, 2011 at 1:24 AM

How’s that been working out so far? I have no problem with using Alinsky-ite tactics in the service of conservative values. Alinsky’s “Rules for Radicals” were ipso facto morally and ethically neutral. Our discomfort with using those rules because they were codified by a progressive will be the undoing of the conservative movement.

gryphon202 on November 6, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Pablo Honey. Your contributions have sunk to the level of, nasty troll. Congrats.

hawkdriver on November 6, 2011 at 7:18 AM

(A) The Politico is assumed unworthy.

(B) Hotair under Allah was on this “story” like fire ants on a hapless gardener.

It appears Tina and Allah are at odds on this story. Allah owes Cain a virtual retraction!

Sherman1864 on November 6, 2011 at 7:30 AM

I wish Rush had left the odious Larry Flynt out of it. The mention of his name discredits the idea.

Breitbart comes to mind as the guy to pull this off.

I’m conservative. I care about the truth. And I’d wholeheartedly support someone like Breitbart returning the fire to Politico. Sow the wind; reap the whirlwind, suckas.

petefrt on November 6, 2011 at 7:34 AM

“So we wave around $50,000, we get some woman to come forward…”

Rush went on to say that, if we play by Politico’s rules, we don’t even need the $50,000. We just have the lawyer say the women making the charges prefer to remain anonymous.

petefrt on November 6, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Terrye on November 5, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Rush is right. Prove him wrong. As for race baiting, that is a democrat ploy.

tbear44 on November 6, 2011 at 7:43 AM

Terrye on November 5, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Terrye, I have read your comments over time and like the perspective from younger Conservatives like yourself but really don’t understand this comment at all. For one, in all the years I’ve been able to listen to him, I’d never characterize anything he’s discussed as race baiting. And if anything, he’s mellowed over the years.

Can you point to what you considered race-baiting as an example?

hawkdriver on November 6, 2011 at 8:02 AM

We don’t need a Flynt on our side. The lefties are open about their sex scandals because they know the msm is on their side and will paint them as boys being boys or cover it over like the cat does his business. Rush rules!

Kissmygrits on November 6, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Terrye on November 5, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Yet another award winning post from Terrye the ignorant.

fossten on November 6, 2011 at 8:32 AM

What’s Politico?
/s

Khun Joe on November 6, 2011 at 9:50 AM

If “proof” means claiming that an anonymous person might have said that somebody “did something that was somehow sexist – or something”, I’ll do that all day long for free.

But what good will that do? Who will report it? Hell, hospital workers have confirmed that Bill Clinton assaulted and raped a woman. But that story was successfully thrown down the Memory Hole.

If you want the press to destroy a liberal, the only way to do it is to prove that he’s not liberal — that he once paid taxes of his own volition; held a productive job of some sort; attended a Christian church service non-sarcastically, etc…. Of course they won’t print that story, but they’ll pull up their files and publicize any one of a thousand other things he’s done that would make any normal person puke and they’ll turn it into the Headline Of The Month.

Democrats clean their own house. They just have an opposite definition of what constitutes “dirt” than we do.

logis on November 6, 2011 at 10:17 AM

It is thus almost certainly true that at least some of the conflicting allegations Politico is airing are known by Politico to be false.

Why is this so reminiscent of something in the past…why do names like Colin Powell and poor Scooter Libby come to mind?

Don L on November 6, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Okay, there’s no Larry Flynt, but isn’t there some woman who will, for the good of the nation, play the role of “Bait Car?” I mean, if the cops do this stuff regularly and the FBI sets up stings and gun runner stuff to bring about a desired result to help the nation…..

Don L on November 6, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Going after the candidates in this way is a great idea, however, IMO,a better idea is going after the media and exposing their bad behavior … serving the media the same thing they serve conservatives on a daily basis.

Virginia Shanahan on November 6, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Why don’t you do it, Rush?

James on November 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Maybe Mary Carey can do the Larry Flynt duties for us. She’s been to dinner with George Bush and Karl Rove a couple of times. We can call her the Blonde Torpedo.

Crusty on November 6, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Adjoran on November 6, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Nope. This mind set is how we got into this mess to begin with. Conservatives need to realize that you fight fire with fire, and the time to embrace their inner Alinsky is now. Make the left play by their own rules and live by their own words. I think Rush’s idea is awesome, not just as a thought experiment, but as a real world tactic. Start paying women to make accusations — legitimate or not — against leftists of all stripes and make them spend time defending against it.

The problem with modern day conservatism is that we’re always on defense against crap like the fake Politico hit pieces, and never go on offense unless smaller blogs keep something alive long enough for the big boys to decide it’s a story. Even Hot Air embargoed the Weiner story for like a week before realizing that Ace and Patterico might be on to something, despite the facts and obvious evasions involved in the case.

So no, screw this “play fair” crap. It’s time to start cheating like the other side so that the playing field is level.

holygoat on November 6, 2011 at 1:47 PM

holygoat on November 6, 2011 at 1:47 PM

This is actually working so far a the racism charge goes… Not too long ago Perry would have been hiding under a rock over the hunting grounds rock N.H. issue… That fire back just as hard and often with charges of racism has been being done now since Barry got elected… And when carelessly made… it’s losing it’s potency… Big time.
Every time one of the usual suspects uses the race card it is weaker… Real racism has been found in the Dem party, the Occupy BM… News channels… the NAACP… and it has been exposed to the point that they are defending and scrubbing… Kinda hard to point the finger when the other 3 are pointing back… and it’s being pointed out… EVERY TIME.
Same thing here… Let US decide if a sex scandal is a deal breaker with our guys… not the MSM, and certainly not the Dems…
And the way to remove the potency of their unbalanced and often unfair attacks is to call them out on the same things over and over… Make them use caution when making a charge… Just the facts, and if there are none… make that and them the story.

RalphyBoy on November 6, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Perhaps Rush needs to found a “Legal Accusation Fund” to pay for this?
Since it would be “educational”, wouldn’t it qualify for tax-exempt status?

Another Drew on November 6, 2011 at 6:12 PM