Lawyer for Cain’s accuser: On second thought, she’d rather not relive this publicly

posted at 4:57 pm on November 4, 2011 by Allahpundit

No video yet, but it sure sounds like that’s the end of that. For now.

Who knew the big finale would end Sopranos-style?

Bennett said his client sees “no value” in revisiting the issue now, but “stands by the complaint that she made.”

Bennett said his client would disagree with Cain’s characterization of the alleged harassment incidents.

He confirmed that the alleged harassment occurred in 1999 over a period of “at least a month or two.” There was “more than one incident,” he said.

And here’s the key part of the statement from the NRA:

“Based upon the information currently available, we can confirm that more than a decade ago, in July 1999, Mr. Bennett’s client filed a formal internal complaint, in accordance with the Association’s existing policies prohibiting discrimination and harassment. Mr. Herman Cain disputed the allegations in the complaint. The Association and Mr. Bennett’s client subsequently entered into an agreement to resolve the matter, without any admission of liability. Mr. Cain was not a party to that agreement. The agreement contains mutual confidentiality obligations. Notwithstanding the Association’s ongoing policy of maintaining the privacy of all personnel matters, we have advised Mr. Bennett that we are willing to waive the confidentiality of this matter and permit Mr. Bennett’s client to comment. As indicated in Mr. Bennett’s statement, his client prefers not to be further involved with this matter and we will respect her decision.

Does that waiver apply only to today’s statement or is it a general waiver that would allow her to speak if she changes her mind down the road? Because if he’s the nominee, the left will be keenly interested in hearing from her, especially now that the promise of multiple incidents has been dangled in front of them. And the worse the economy looks, the keener that interest will be. There is, or was, potential for this to hurt him among GOP primary voters too, but unless something more specific than gossip like this drops, that potential’s gone now. WaPo’s new poll, conducted after the Politico story broke, finds him still neck and neck with Romney, with 70 percent saying the allegations won’t matter to their vote. There’s room for that to change — 37 percent of Republicans polled called the charges a “serious matter” — but it’s 4:45 p.m. ET on Friday as I write this and, after a full week of accusations, we still have yet to hear a single credible detailed account of what happened between him and the accusers. Hard to believe anyone’s vote is changing based on that.

Here’s CBS’s report on the settlement agreement that was signed between the NRA and one of the accusers in September 1999 (yes, 9/99). Cain himself didn’t sign, and had actually left the NRA in June of that year; it’s unclear if the woman filed the complaint before or after he departed. CBS points to that as evidence that Cain really might not have known about the settlement, as he first asserted earlier this week. Could be, but he did find out about the underlying accusations at some point: Remember, he told Richard Miniter that he mentioned them to Curt Anderson back in 2003 when he was a Senate candidate. Ah well. Maybe the timeline will be clarified in one of Politico’s next 90 stories about this.

Update: Jim Geraghty summarizes the argument from the accuser’s lawyer thusly: “I won’t say what he did, but trust me, he’s guilty of wrongdoing.”

Update: Interesting question from Nate Silver. Cain’s numbers probably won’t shrink because of this, but will the way the campaign handled things create a ceiling on his support?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

JannyMae on November 5, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Janny, that was Lon Chaney and Inkybinkybarleyboo. I’d know because I debated that poster a dozen times over it. Punchy never complained about Perry, he used to support him actually.

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Your side of the aisle. What a laugh. Dems like you love to do that.
Lets see, I used it in the case of the people who post on every Cain thread or almost every Cain thread with raw, unhinged hatred. You know, like you do.

Hard Right on November 5, 2011 at 3:21 AM

I think if we project Cain from primary into the general, it should apply equally around, as you’ve done above. It would indeed be a total massacre, the likes of which the nation has never seen before. And I got some rank on you in going back to the Nixon v. Kennedy debates.
whatcat on November 5, 2011 at 2:58 AM

Wow, pulling rank, I see ;-) RHIP and all that.
I think, though, that Cain’s force of personality, and his certitude, would do better against 0bama than you think. I think Cain might call him out and really make him look bad.
I fear that Perry, though Cain isn’t much better, would just stumble into 0bama’s traps again and again, and look blustery and Bush-y.
I am really, really concerned that the Dems will successfully paint him as Bush III.
They can’t do that to Herman Cain.
cane_loader on November 5, 2011 at 3:09 AM

All the candidates have their debating faults, but Perry is a total disaster. I don’t mean that in a mean way, just that he can’t stand and deliver. Cain usually keeps his cool, but it could slip away a bit in a heated debate.

Yeah, I think the country is looking for something different, we had a lot of years of Bush & Clinton. I believe that was part of Obama’s win, people just get tired of the same faces and names after awhile. The “fatigue” factor.

I think I’ve seen most, if not all, the Presidents since 1960, excluding Bush & Obama. I mean IRL, heh, everyone’s seen ‘em on the telly.

whatcat on November 5, 2011 at 3:24 AM

Punchenko, who would you like for President & VP, at this moment?

cane_loader on November 5, 2011 at 3:17 AM

Right now I’m leaning towards Newt for POTUS and would like to see maybe Bobby Jindal, Ryan, or Allen West on the ticket. I was a Palin supporter in the past but have since recovered. I was rather disappointed she sat it out and kept some of us hanging. Either way, it would be interesting if Newt put Palin on his ticket.

I also like Perry, too, but worry about his debate performances and him being labeled as Bush III. I didn’t care for his stance on immigration, but beggars cannot be choosers. I can’t stand Romney, period, and I don’t like Herman Cain or his 9-9-9 plan. I am also not a fan of Michele Bachmann or Santorum. We don’t really have a deep bench this time around. :-(

Punchenko on November 5, 2011 at 3:27 AM

Out of left field, I wish we had one more good candidate with gravitas to fill out the debate slate. My first instinct was Giuliani. If nothing else, he would have drawn the discussion toward foreign policy, which topic is completely AWOL in the vetting process so far.

cane_loader on November 5, 2011 at 3:27 AM

Oh, I also liked the idea of a Perry/Gingrich or Gingrich/Perry ticket, too.

Punchenko on November 5, 2011 at 3:28 AM

cane_loader on November 5, 2011 at 3:27 AM

I’m watching Giuliani’s speech at AFP right now on C-SPAN. :-)

I think Giuliani would be good on a ticket, too, to help bring aboard the NY/Northeastern establishment.

Punchenko on November 5, 2011 at 3:30 AM

Talk about a cultist. You overlook Newt’s lack of Conservatism and his major gaffes while bashing Cain on every thread. Newt’s a guranteed loser and politcal hack, but we need a white, career politician in the WH. Like I said, you are a racist liberal troll. You fool no one.

Hard Right on November 5, 2011 at 3:30 AM

Giuliani? Hell no. Too much of a RINO and his 2nd Amend stance stinks.
Rubio or West would have been my favs this time around.

Hard Right on November 5, 2011 at 3:32 AM

We don’t really have a deep bench this time around. :-(

Punchenko on November 5, 2011 at 3:27 AM

On this, I agree.

Newt for prez? I’m not closed to that. Your VP picks? Jindal just got re-elected a couple weeks ago. Plus, he’s still very young. Ryan, I feel we need him in Congress. Also very young. West? I do not think he has anywhere near the experience to put on a ticket. So I don’t like any of your VP picks.

Perry has a heck of a lot of work to do to be the man. I think his debate performances may end up being a deal-breaker. Add in the Bush III, and his blunt persona, and I just am very queasy watching him go up against 0bama.

Cain is not yet fully formed. He has a little time get to find his groove. I think he would surprise people in a debate against 0bama, and actually maybe even spank him.

Palin is done for 2012. She was my first pick – it rfeally sucked when she declined to run. But there’s no way now she gets taken seriously if she jumps back in.

We’ve got a light bench.

Romney waiting in the wings to clean up the mess.

I do not know if Gingrich could beat 0bama. I see him as a wild card right now.

Of the people running now, the only two I see with a good shot to beat 0bama are Romney and Cain.

This may change. Which is why this Cain stuff has to get sorted out.

cane_loader on November 5, 2011 at 3:34 AM

Giuliani? Hell no. Too much of a RINO and his 2nd Amend stance stinks.
Rubio or West would have been my favs this time around.
Hard Right on November 5, 2011 at 3:32 AM

I believe cane_loader meant him more as someone to bring more meat into the debates, not necessarily as the nominee.

whatcat on November 5, 2011 at 3:35 AM

Giuliani? Hell no. Too much of a RINO and his 2nd Amend stance stinks.
Rubio or West would have been my favs this time around.

Hard Right on November 5, 2011 at 3:32 AM

Your hatred for Italian-Americans has been duly noted, you bigoted monster! I’m kidding! I’m not a turd like you willing to run around and thump the race card. You’re still an idiot, though. :-)

Punchenko on November 5, 2011 at 3:36 AM

whatcat on November 5, 2011 at 3:35 AM

That’s what I meant.

cane_loader on November 5, 2011 at 3:39 AM

cane_loader on November 5, 2011 at 3:34 AM

Well, if a Not-Romney gets the nod there will have to be something similar to a Reagan/Bush split with the Establishment getting their representative on the ticket. I could live with a Huntsman as VP so long as a strong conservative sits at the top as POTUS.

Punchenko on November 5, 2011 at 3:40 AM

whatcat on November 5, 2011 at 3:35 AM
That’s what I meant.

cane_loader on November 5, 2011 at 3:39 AM

If you want a good debate, Huntsman, Bachmann, and Santorum need to bow out. Then, there is more time for answers. Also, some decent questions would be nice.

HornetSting on November 5, 2011 at 3:41 AM

whatcat on November 5, 2011 at 3:24 AM

Yes, I agree with you.
Wow, pretty cool to have seen the prezes. Don’t know how you did that but that’s pretty interesting!

My little brush with greatness was when we used to go to the same church as Reagan, waaaay back. We were always late to church and so was Reagan, and my dad and he used to talk walking up from the parking lot. I was in a stroller, but I remember a lot of stuff from a real young age, and I remember this nice man who seemed really important and my dad was deferential to him.

This was long before he ever ran for president.

Where did you see Reagan?

cane_loader on November 5, 2011 at 3:43 AM

HornetSting on November 5, 2011 at 3:41 AM

Yes. Foreign policy is going to be a bltch for the next president.

cane_loader on November 5, 2011 at 3:45 AM

MM time to check out… it’s late! I’ll check the answers in the morning. Good night, all!

cane_loader on November 5, 2011 at 3:46 AM

Punchenko on November 5, 2011 at 3:40 AM

Perish the thought! Huntsman shouldn’t be on any ticket… polling at 1% what would he bring? Nothing. I don’t mind him in the race right now because he’s starting to attack Romney, but I can’t think of any good it would do to have him on the ticket, lol ;)

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 3:46 AM

HornetSting on November 5, 2011 at 2:51 AM

I’m “playing the victim” by pointing out your own inconsistencies? LOL! And, I do believe we all have an agenda here, including you, who will believe Cain simply because he tells you to.

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 3:47 AM

cane_loader on November 5, 2011 at 3:46 AM

Good night, cane_loader, and thank you for an intelligent conversation.

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 3:48 AM

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 3:46 AM

It’s awful, I know, but his daddy is loaded and he can get the squish vote. All of my VP picks are either too preoccupied or have said they wouldn’t take the offer. Rubio would have been the natural choice, but he has declined and made it pretty clear he doesn’t want the job.

Punchenko on November 5, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Where is Hard Right at? I made a couple of posts and have yet to hear from him denouncing me as a “waaacist” for my opposition to Cain. I hope he is OK. :-(

Punchenko on November 5, 2011 at 3:53 AM

Yes, I agree with you.
This was long before he ever ran for president.
Where did you see Reagan?
cane_loader on November 5, 2011 at 3:43 AM

It’s like the circus – they all come to town at one time or another to make a speech or the like. But didn’t have the wonderful type closeup experience such as your Dad did. For instance, with JFK, he drove past in a motorcade.

whatcat on November 5, 2011 at 3:53 AM

HornetSting on November 5, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 3:47 AM

My own inconsistencies? You made my POINT. There are no links, nothing, except what Politico tells YOU. So, I believe Cain and you believe Politico, ex-WaPo hacks, because it fits into your agenda. You have been on here, day in, day out, touting Perry. That is your agenda. You fend off any and all perceived attacks against your candidate, even when the quotes from Mr. Perry are presented for you. Until I get all the facts, unlike you, I am not ready to throw in on the Cain trampling.

HornetSting on November 5, 2011 at 3:57 AM

HornetSting on November 5, 2011 at 3:57 AM

The inconsistencies I pointed out were how you were correcting my words (including claiming, in ALL CAPS, that I’d used one when I had not used it even once) only to later shrug off words as “is is”, lol. They were so important until suddenly they weren’t. And when I pointed it out, you called me a “victim”, LOL!

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 4:10 AM

HornetSting on November 5, 2011 at 3:57 AM

Please tell me what part of Politico’s story was wrong? Even Cain said that it was the truth, which is why it’s pretty silly for him to say he’ll sue them when he agreed with everything they reported.

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 4:12 AM

Oh, and I waited two days on the Cain story before I ever posted one word. Because, I too, like “facts”. When it was proven that the Politico was telling the truth, I stated to comment, and mostly because Cain dragged Perry into it (and not the first time either, Cain has been trying to sabotage Perry’s campaign ever since Perry entered, yet Cain sure does love RINO Romney).

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 4:13 AM

HornetSting on November 5, 2011 at 3:57 AM

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 4:10 AM

HornetSting on November 5, 2011 at 3:57 AM

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 4:12 AM

Link to where Cain said he agreed with Politico’s entire story…I have heard SEVERANCE, all caps again, from Cain. Payout, payoff, whatever you want to use, the amount is still the same. It is just how the agreement read, which NO ONE is privy to except the NRA at this point. The attorney said he hadn’t seen it in 12 years as of yesterday. I was joking about the is, is, but you took it as I was being flippant, which I was not. We don’t know HOW is was framed when the woman was paid. That’s the point. So much has been left to guessing, including the woman that lodged the complaint. Cain is having to relive this, why shouldn’t she relive it as well? She is speaking, attacking, enough through her EOCC attorney…..so, speak up.
Your beef with Cain is that Perry has been in his line of fire. Well, Perry went after Cain for his 999. This is a campaign. I have already said accusing him before getting all the facts is as bad as accusing someone of sexual harassment before having all the facts, but if he was aiming his fire at Romney, you wouldn’t be all over the place jumping all over this story. That’s fine. YOu are defending your candidate, but don’t get all butt hurt when someone defends there candidate.

HornetSting on November 5, 2011 at 4:30 AM

their candidate. It’s too late, or too early. Goodnight.

HornetSting on November 5, 2011 at 4:32 AM

HornetSting on November 5, 2011 at 4:30 AM

You are not actually going to compare Perry going after a policy of Cain’s (999) with Cain going after Perry for the rock are you?! Or Cain going after Perry about how Perry was behind the Politico story based solely upon Anderson, only for Block to believe Anderson when Anderson made his statement but Cain doubled down?! There is no comparison between the two. I’ll add that I find it terribly interesting that when Cain attacked Perry over the rock, it was a Washington Post story and Cain gleefully joined in with the MSM, but when the shoe is on the other foot and it’s Cain getting MSM attention, he whines and blames Perry! LOL. Cain’s hysterical in his hypocrisy. How did Perry respond to the Politico story? He said he wouldn’t address it until more was known and then when Cain screamed that it was Perry who planted it, Perry responded by saying that not only was he not behind it but that if someone on his team were ever found out for that sort of thing, he’d fire them. One of these two men is a statesman. One is a blame-gamer.

Oh, and my “beef” with Cain is so, so much more than his attempts at sabotaging Perry. Let me count the ways: 999 increases taxes on 84% of Americans while using Aff!rmative Act!on in inner cities where some will be treated more equally than others as well as the one 9 being a VAT and the other being a BRAND NEW tax for congress to mess around with; his dismal “knowledge” of foreign policy such as not knowing what Right of Return is, being willing to give up ALL of Gitmo for one soldier, not knowing that we don’t have a diplomat in Taiwan, seemingly not knowing about China’s nukes, making fun of foreign policy with his embarrassing “Ubeki-beki-beki-stan-stan” inanity, saying that he will have NO plan in Iraq and Afghanistan until AFTER he’s elected. Then there’s his utter babble about his stance on abortion with his claims that it should be illegal in all cases, except when it’s a family’s and a woman’s choice (um, pro-choice is his stand!). He supported TARP, he doesn’t want the FED audited, and he supports RINO Romney. Plus, he has no record, he makes gross “jokes” about killing people, he couldn’t defend 999 to save his life (“check my website! Apple and oranges!”) Oh, my “beef” with Cain is far beyond his unwarranted attacks on Perry. That just shows me how completely unprincipled he is. He is a stalking horse for Mitt, it’s clear to everyone who hasn’t drunk the Cain-aide; and this week he decided that if he was going down, he’d do Mitt a favor and try to take Perry with him which made him a Kamikaze pilot.

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 5:33 AM

I’m not the one who was “butt-hurt” about pointing out inconsistencies. You acted like words were important until they weren’t and you didn’t like my picking up on that. And in a thread that had some Cain cultists calling everyone else a racist and bigot and claiming that anyone who didn’t adore him was accusing him of rape, I find it highly amusing that you call me “butt-hurt”; some were in this thread but it wasn’t me. Get a grip.

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 5:36 AM

Cain will never go after Romney, Hornet, gee, I wonder why? Does it ever make you wonder?

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 5:37 AM

One last thought: when Perry was accused of being a racist for that rock, how he did repsond? Did he immediately point fingers and demand to know who told the Wash. Post about it? No. He stated the facts about how he painted over it as soon as he saw the rock, and then he MOVED ON. How did Perry respond when the entire media suggested that he was on drugs and/or drunk at the NH speech? Did he demand to know who it was that editted that infamous eight minute video? No. He stated the facts, that he wasn’t impaired in any way, and then he MOVED ON. That’s how a LEADER deals with these sorts of things. Again, one of these candidates is a statesman and one is a whining, blaming, delfecting, stalking horse.

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 6:17 AM

Tell us, why do you Perry cultists believe that your Perry will be any more popular if you, with his urging and support, engage in character assassinations?

northdallasthirty on November 5, 2011 at 12:07 AM

What the hey? Yes, that’s it, Perry is personally urging me to assassinate “your” beloved Herb. lol. Good grief!

Ooooooooooo-K, you officially jumped the shark with that one, and simultaneously gave a lot of people here reason to think you are a just a member of a personality cult. One more moniker for me to skip over, time saved. But a good laugh nonetheless.

kg598301 on November 5, 2011 at 8:01 AM

And dang, you people need to get some sleep!

kg598301 on November 5, 2011 at 8:30 AM

I’m sickened by the politics down here in the swamp pit comment section.

All bets are off during primary season, huh?

Prefer your candidate over others. Sure. Fine.

But, to jump on board with the Big-Leftist-Media-Distortion-Smear-Machine instead of drawing a line the sand with them is just another tribute you pay to your masters.

You’re being played for a fool, and they are laughing at you. Not because you look so foolish, though you do, but from the pure pleasure of knowing how well they have you beat.

Saltysam on November 5, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Cain/Gingrich debate tonight….don’t forget!

lynncgb on November 5, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Good night, cane_loader, and thank you for an intelligent conversation.

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 3:48 AM

Good night and good morning. Let’s keep on keeping it on the high road….if only the Dems would vet their candidates this hard, we wouldn’t have 0bama to worry about!

cane_loader on November 5, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Saltysam on November 5, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Exactly. Politico launched a mission to destroy Cain based on anonymous sources, who settled for peanuts. Now that the NRA called their bluff, they’ve backed off. If these “pundits” want to keep expounding without any concrete facts to back themrselves up, have at it.

The rest of us will just sit back and laugh.

kingsjester on November 5, 2011 at 9:06 AM

From what I could find it looks like CSPAN is the only network to carry the debate tonight. Anybody find an alternative? I can’t do streaming. On Dish Network CSPAN doesn’t even have it listed on the program guide for the 8pm time slot. You’d think they would advertise it a little better for the rare occasion they’ll have viewership.

Buttercup on November 5, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I’ve said it before.
Candidate with best personality wins.
Unless something changes, I predict President Herman Cain.
(I know this seems like a juvenile way to elect a prez…but do you expect any more from the same electorate who elected BHO in 2008?)
We would be blessed since Herman has some solid economic ideas which the USA so desperately needs.

balkanmom on November 5, 2011 at 10:20 AM

3. You and I do not know the allegations against Perry are baseless. You should stop saying that. Just because Perry said they’re baseless does not make it true, unles Perry has some sort of reputation as a political saint. The allegations against Perry must be resolved. Cain cannot move forward until this is explored, because he and Block made serious accusations.

cane_loader on November 5, 2011 at 1:44 AM

The accusation against Perry is baseless. Both Cain and Block have said that their reasoning is that Curt Anderson, who Cain says he briefed on the harassment charge, started working for Perry right before someone tipped off Politico to the story. This is circumstantial evidence and the only evidence that Cain has presented. Anderson went to Politico and said he was not the source of the story, he said he was never briefed by Cain, and he gave permission to any reporter to out him on any story related to Cain. Someone is not telling the truth. Do you think that someone is Curt Anderson? Given Anderson’s denials and his attempts to get the truth out I would say no. Cain and his campaign are lying.

Bill C on November 5, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Someone is not telling the truth. Do you think that someone is Curt Anderson?

balkanmom on November 5, 2011 at 11:09 AM

balkanmom on November 5, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Given what we know about the situation, that Anderson has released reporters from confidentiality and he has denied being briefed by Cain, how can you say this? Seriously.

Bill C on November 5, 2011 at 11:13 AM

The ugliness in this thread, particularly against Cain supporters, but even in return…ugh. Appalling.

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM

By the way, have people actually been attacking Cain by claiming “At least Obama had political experience”? REALLY? Do I have to point out how f**king useless that experience has been, or has Cain hatred caused amnesia in some people’s minds?

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2011 at 11:28 AM

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Obama’s political experience helped him get elected which is a necessary first step to being president. Our criticisms of Cain have largely been about electability. Cain’s anti-politician persona will play well with the conservative base, obviously, but I don’t think it will serve him well in the general election and it will leave him open to the frontlash strategy that LBJ used so effectively against Goldwater.

A lot of independents are mad about Obama so his only hope for victory will be to demonize his opponent. We know this is coming. It will be up to our nominee to appear presidential to the general public. Cain’s antics and these unanswered sexual harassment charges make it easier for the Obama campaign. (BTW, Romney has presidential persona in spades. Too bad he isn’t a conservative.)

Bill C on November 5, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Bill C on November 5, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Here’s the big problem with comparing 2012 with 1964: you’re leaving out the fact that Goldwater was running against an incumbent who had served less than a year, less than a year after a beloved president had been murdered. That was working against the good Barry from the beginning.

The bad Barry has had three years to establish a horrific record and destroy his own popularity. The economy is far worse than it was in 1964. Public sentiment against the incumbent is far closer to 1980 than 1964, when a fairly laughed-at candidate argued with a moderator, and shot him down with “I am PAYING for this microphone, Mr. Green!”

Rather a rich and fertile atmosphere for an unconventional candidate, especially when he seems to not only be playing well with the base, but with the GOP segment as a whole.

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2011 at 12:06 PM

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2011 at 12:06 PM

I am not arguing that 2012 is 1964, only that the Obama campaign will use a demonization strategy, because that is all they have, and that it would be a good idea to not play into that strategy. Since the MSM will always disseminate Democrat talking points it is important that all Republican candidates present themselves as up beat, rational people. Otherwise, some portion of the electorate will be convinced that the Republican is too crazy.

LBJ convinced voters that Goldwater was too extreme and he got a landslide. Obama would try and convince the voters that Cain isn’t ready to be president and he might pull out a squeaker.

Bill C on November 5, 2011 at 12:25 PM

And I want to make one other point that I have made before which I think we would all agree.

There is no way the details of this sexual harassment charge will stay secret if Herman Cain is the nominee. NO WAY. That is why I think it is important that Cain himself address the details instead of saying there is nothing to it and shut up. The MSM will use this information against Cain in the general election. They probably already know a heck of a lot more than us. Since we are vetting these candidates we should also know the truth.

Bill C on November 5, 2011 at 12:35 PM

First thing Herman Cain should do is fire that dumb*ss Mark Block. Then he should stop making unfounded accusations about Perry, which he is still doing. Those two things would be a start toward convincing me he has any capability at all of running a campaign.

kg598301 on November 5, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Bill C on November 5, 2011 at 12:35 PM

…unless there’s nothing to it.

Which, given her refusal to talk…seems likely.

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2011 at 12:38 PM

First thing Herman Cain should do is fire that dumb*ss Mark Block.

kg598301 on November 5, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Probably one of the few things we agree on.

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Bill C on November 5, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Oh yeah, third thing.

kg598301 on November 5, 2011 at 12:38 PM

…unless there’s nothing to it.

Which, given her refusal to talk…seems likely.

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2011 at 12:38 PM

That, or she’s holding out for the big bucks~

“She and her husband see no value in revisiting this matter now…”

kg598301 on November 5, 2011 at 12:43 PM

That, or she’s holding out for the big bucks~

“She and her husband see no value in revisiting this matter now…”

kg598301 on November 5, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Then why bring it up to begin with? Two possibilities:

1. Political figures compelled her – If so, either they’re retreating, they’re holding off till later, or she genuinely doesn’t want to go on the record for whatever reason.

2. She chose to do this on her own – If so, either there’s nothing to this claim, it was so terrible she actually doesn’t want to talk about it again(and none of the hints that have come out indicate that), or somehow she thinks she can make more money dropping the news when he’s the nominee.

Lot of different potentials.

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2011 at 12:49 PM

…unless there’s nothing to it.

Which, given her refusal to talk…seems likely.

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Do you want to bet four more years of Obama on “seems likely?”

Bill C on November 5, 2011 at 12:50 PM

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Yep. That one. That’s the one that could cost us the election.

kg598301 on November 5, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Do you want to bet four more years of Obama on “seems likely?”

Bill C on November 5, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Far safer bet than electing a Republican who provided the basis for ObamaCare.

Yep. That one. That’s the one that could cost us the election.

kg598301 on November 5, 2011 at 12:59 PM

So you want to toss away potentially the most conservative candidate on the chance that unsubstantiated allegations from an anonymous source might turn out to be actually too good to waste on knocking him out of the race right now?

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2011 at 1:24 PM

That was working against the good Barry from the beginning.

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2011 at 12:06 PM

ISWYDT

LOL!

Branch Rickey on November 5, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Far safer bet than electing a Republican who provided the basis for ObamaCare.

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2011 at 1:24 PM

On that we agree. Just don’t forget we still have Perry and Gingrich and I am pretty sure that they have had their personal lives gone over with a fine tooth comb.

Bill C on November 5, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Yes! You are correct. I confused punchi with Lon Chaney. My apologies to both commenters.

JannyMae on November 5, 2011 at 1:37 PM

from the headlines….

Cain should just tell people that if you disagree with him about giving law breakers discounts on in-state college tuition than you have no heart.

My bad, that was a different candidate.

Cain should say that he believes in gorebull warming he just can’t prove it.

My bad, that was a different candidate.

[the above are mentioned because these two situations were “handled” waaaaaaaaaaaay worse than politicogate!]

Branch Rickey on November 5, 2011 at 1:41 PM

And that being said, I support all three referenced in this comment

Branch Rickey on November 5, 2011 at 1:45 PM

From a sexual harrasment charge…to an intimidating harassment charge, to a hand gesture to this:

“stands by the complaint that she made.”

A complaint…a complaint, all this over a complaint.
That’s what you do to send your cold potatoes back, or the collar is still wrinkled, or you waited in line too long, or they forgot the sausage in the sausage egg McMuffin….good grief.
It’a freak’in complaint….sorry Honda, Asian’s girl and all the other yappers who wanted to know the “truth”.
There it is from the actual complainant, she complained and stands by her complaint.
Okay, dokey, time to move on and put this embarassing episode behind us…but always remembering who was duped, conned and manipulated into thinking this was the “big deal” that would sink his ship.
If anything, if the haters had any integrity, they would now rally behind him because of the gracious way he had handled this lynching.

right2bright on November 5, 2011 at 1:59 PM

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Wow, now that is a run-on sentence. lol.

Uh, no. I wanted Cain to give the details of what actually happened before someone else does, like I already said. But realistically, that ship has probably already sailed. And of course we disagree on who is the most conservative candidate, but I’m not going to waste my day arguing about that. Have a good one, off to take care of real life business.

kg598301 on November 5, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Bill C on November 5, 2011 at 12:35 PM

In case you don’t get it…here are the words, words from an attorney who knows his words are incredibly important and the phrasing has to be right…after, btw, he said Cain probably knew nothing about the details since it was discussed after he left.

“stands by the complaint that she made.”

There is your truth…it was a complaint, not a “charge”, or whatever, it was a complaint…you know, just above the kind where in the time clock you have a complaint box and fill in a form…she made a complaint, no one knows what it was, and since (by her attorneys statement) Cain wasn’t around…it was just a complaint.
Now you know the truth, the whole truth, and you can now go back to supporting Cain…

right2bright on November 5, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Buttercup on November 5, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Neal Boortz will be carrying it on the radio and I think CSPAN will be streaming it. Go to Newt.org and click on events for more details.

Punchenko on November 5, 2011 at 2:20 PM

MadisonConservative on November 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM

In a thread that had Cain cultists calling everyone else a “racist” a “bigot” and claiming that non-Cain supporters are calling him a “rapist” you think the ugliness was “particularly” against Cain supporters??! No one here called Cain supporters those names, Mad, that was from the Cain supporters. And my oh my don’t they make it look appealing to jump on the Cain Train, though! ///

Aslans Girl on November 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Is it any surprise that she does not want to talk about this? After all, it happened some time ago and she is not the one who is in the public eye..there is no reason to believe she ever wanted to be in the public eye. So far as I know until this story broke neither of the women who filed these claims had made any attempt to go public.

And Politico gets raked over the coals over reporting the basic facts…how dare they? I mean come on, they did not call the man a rapist or anything.

Now we have Cain playing the race card and contradicting himself and his crazy campaign guy out there calling out Rick Perry…{who knew that Rick Perry was part of the liberal media too?}..and on and on.

I can not imagine Cain actually getting the nomination..not only is his campaign a train wreck..not only have 2 women accused him of sexual harassment..he does not know that China has nukes, or what the right of return is or what the difference is between pro choice and pro life and his 999 plan is a dud.

This whole mess is just painful to watch.

Terrye on November 5, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Terrye on November 5, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Then you have Perry calling out Romney, trying to shift blame for the leak.

{who knew that Rick Perry was part of the liberal media too?}

Actually, the hot & heavy Perry-Chris Wilson-Politico ménage à trois provided us with the only sex in this otherwise boring episode of nothingness. So we do owe Rick that.

whatcat on November 5, 2011 at 11:02 PM