Quotes of the day

posted at 10:56 pm on November 3, 2011 by Allahpundit

“When Romney, a former Massachusetts governor, became a presidential candidate in 2008, his views on those issues had shifted dramatically to the right. Raw politics at work: A moderate record suited Romney’s needs in Democratic-leaning Massachusetts and conservative views are a necessity in national GOP primaries.

“Romney’s only hope of dodging the flip-flopping label is that journalists and their readers decide to give him a pass because his position shifts are old news. But they are not old news: That fact that Romney has an odds-on chance to become president in 2013 makes doubts about his core values more relevant than ever.”

***

“‘There are other programs I like and I don’t want to cut but, yet, I ask myself: Do we have to have that program? Is it essential for America? Is it so essential that its worth borrowing the money to pay for it from China knowing that we’ll never pay it back in my generation but instead pass it on to my kids and then their kids? And, by that test, there are a number of things I say [it is] time for us to stop spending money on,’ he said.

“‘I like Amtrak, but $1.6 billion borrowed from China isn’t a good idea [so] I’ll cut it out,’ said Romney.

“On today’s USA Today opinion page, Romney offered even more specifics on the types of programs he would cut. He wrote that he would enact ‘reductions in the subsidies for the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Corporation for Public Broadcast and the Legal Services Corporation.’

“Eliminating Title X family planning programs that benefit ‘abortion groups like Planned Parenthood,’ would also be on his agenda, wrote Romney.”

***

“‘There are lingering concerns about whether he’s really committed to the pro-life cause,’ Richard Land, the president of the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, told POLITICO on Thursday. ‘I’m not questioning it because I’ve had the opportunity to hear him personally explain it.’…

“‘That’s what’s ironic about Romney … they know who they’re voting for,’ Land said. ‘In large part, they feel he’s not Mormon enough. If he had the same position on life and on marriage the Mormon faith has, there wouldn’t be a question.’

“‘The fact is that he’s so far off the reservation that there are lingering concerns about whether he’s really committed to the pro-life cause,’ he said.”

***

“The White House certainly seems to buy into this scenario. For months now, virtually every conversation I’ve had with one of those increasingly chatty ‘senior administration officials,’ on any subject, has included at least a swipe or two at Romney. It’s clear that he’s the opponent the Obama machine is gearing up to face.

“But I’m less and less convinced. It’s hard for me to see how any of the other candidates can win the nomination — but it’s hard for me to see how Romney wins it, either…

“[T]he whole Herman Cain infatuation is much worse, from Romney’s point of view. Here’s a man with no experience in public office, no knowledge of international affairs and, from the evidence of his “9-9-9” tax plan, bizarre ideas about how arithmetic works. Yet before allegations of sexual harassment threatened to derail the Cain Train, he was leading in many polls.

“It is safe to conclude that most Republicans are looking for an alternative. Clearly, they don’t see Romney as the inevitable nominee — and they’re the deciders.”

***

“Mitt Romney, under fire from all sides on the strength of his political convictions, said Thursday he has been as consistent as a person can be during his political career.

“‘I’ve been as consistent as human beings can be,’ the presidential candidate said in a meeting with the editorial board of New Hampshire’s Seacoast Media Group. ‘I cannot state every single issue in exactly the same words every single time, and so there are some folks who, obviously, for various political and campaign purposes will try and find some change and try to draw great attention to something which looks like a change which in fact is entirely consistent.’”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

i’m not a big fan of huntsman, but his wsj op/ed said some very good things

Washington inflated the housing bubble in part through the misuse of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Today, the White House continues to use these institutions to perpetuate a failed intervention in the housing market that is preventing a natural stabilization. As president, I will privatize Fannie and Freddie, and let the housing market clear in order to lay the groundwork for renewed growth.

his dirt bike ad was pretty unforgivable to me, looked a little too much like kerry wind surfing

and often he looks a little lost at the debates.

interesting that we seem to have a coordinated push on a candidate’s ‘core’ now…i suspect (via journolist 2.0) that that word will be the meme for a few months. well, at least for the Rs…no one will dare ask about the ‘core’ of barry

r keller on November 4, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Ever see Monte Walsh? The best movie he ever starred in.

predator on November 4, 2011 at 12:23 AM

I have never seen that one.. I’ll have to check that out..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2011 at 12:27 AM

hmmmm…obviously the end/quote is missing…so fwiw the last part is not huntsman…duh

r keller on November 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Meringue. That is it as far as Mittens can be identified. A pure puff-like personality. Maybe it goes strong and hard on this particular Web-site.

betsyz on November 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Hint: It was the latter.

lorien1973 on November 4, 2011 at 12:15 AM
You may be right, but it seems to me that he was pretty generic about his solutions. I admit I may be wrong, but the fact that he even did a gig with that witch is discomforting to me. I’m not agsinst him necessarily, but as I said he needs a message from the people that he needs to walk the proper line.

predator on November 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Well, time to hit the hay, I can only stay interested in Gov. Romney for so long. Sweet dreams everyone!!

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Enjoyed it..Later friend..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Dire,

I’m always amazed at the number of people I talk to who have never seen that movie. In my opinion it is his best ever.

predator on November 4, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM

..to quote Edward R. Murrow, “Good night and good luck.”

Hope you have brighter days! (I mean as in “happier”.)

The War Planner on November 4, 2011 at 12:32 AM

I’m checking out too. Big day tomorrow. Later all.

predator on November 4, 2011 at 12:32 AM

predator on November 4, 2011 at 12:31 AM

I am going to make it a point to check it out..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Dire Straits on November 4, 2011 at 12:31 AM

..73s to you too, old son.

The War Planner on November 4, 2011 at 12:34 AM

predator on November 4, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Enjoyed it..Later friend..:)

PS..Keep us posted if you get a hot tip on a sure winner..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2011 at 12:35 AM

The War Planner on November 4, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Best reguards to you..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2011 at 12:36 AM

To get Obama out I’ll vote for a crowbar in a toupe.

And it looks like that’s what’s coming.

profitsbeard on November 4, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Considering that they’re both big government liberals what makes you think the country can survive either one? I’m more concerned about saving the country than getting rid of Obama.

FloatingRock on November 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM

I’m more concerned about saving the country than getting rid of Obama.

FloatingRock on November 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM

The Department of Redundancy Department?

profitsbeard on November 4, 2011 at 12:41 AM

I’m more concerned about saving the country than getting rid of Obama.

FloatingRock on November 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM

The Department of Redundancy Department?

profitsbeard on November 4, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Forty House Republicans sign letter encouraging Super Committee to consider new revenues

sharrukin on November 4, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Seriously, as if there is an expiration date on his revisionism.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM

My dear Cindy…

… My only regret is that we only had two days before the election to call the MSM out and counter Obowma’s tactics.

Oh, wait…!

Seven Percent Solution on November 4, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Sorry Cindy…

… that was supposed to be a “Quote”.

Seven Percent Solution on November 4, 2011 at 12:49 AM

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Hi, gophergirl! Sorry I missed your post earlier… I missed Perry on John King this afternoon so I’m going to go hunt for a link. So glad he’s making the media rounds, really good to see him getting his message out there.

Aslans Girl on November 4, 2011 at 12:49 AM

You’re anticipating educated voters?

Calista will be painted as Marie Antoinette, trophy wife and former mistress who is first and foremost most interested in her Tiffany stash. I feel sorry for her. They can’t use that ammunition against anybody else, can they. Damn shame Newt couldn’t stick to his vows. The facts are we elect a President and First Lady.

Marcus on November 4, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Do you foresee a scenario in which Rick “N*gger rock” Perry wins the presidency without educated voters?

Kataklysmic on November 4, 2011 at 12:49 AM

It is good to see Romney finally getting the once over in the media. Lets see if he can weather the criticism. If so, he will be ready to take on Obama. If not, it’s best to find out now.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 12:52 AM

We will drag him to the right as much as we can and with majorities in Congress we can make some good things happen and undo some bad things Obama has done.
echosyst on November 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Bwahaha. With boehner and McConnell leading both houses to bend mittwit to the right. Right? Oh yeah, that’s just rich. Did you not hear that just today, 40 house RINOs just wrote a letter to the super committee to include revenue raisers? Who doyou think mittwit will campaign for to ride his coattails? Those forty and the rest of the RINOs who survive 2012 election will gladly assist mittwitt in tinkering at the edges to reduce spending while porking up the earmarks and maintaining the status quo. If you believe he is the lesser of two evils, carry on. I’ll be pulling for the third party conservative and with luck, 40% of the voters will agree with me that both parties need to be tarred, feathered and run out on Amtrak right before the plug gets pulled on it.

AH_C on November 4, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Mitt Romney cannot beat Obama or any determined and well-financed Leftist.

1. He’s uneasy in his own skin in general and highly uncomfortable with political confrontation in particular. He is risk-averse. You can both see this in his debate performances and study it through his previous campaigns. This is a decisive even fatal defect against the Left. The Left is about ever-increasing confrontation and personal destruction.

2. When Romney does engage in open combat, i.e., when he is forced to, his reactions or counterattacks are weak, errant and excessive. This pattern played out in his 1994 race against Ted Kennedy. The race was close early on, until Kennedy went on the attack, pointing out Romney’s record of company layoffs with Bain and his changeable political stands. Romney responded wildly and weakly, attacking Kennedy for trying to enrich himself in politics. Romney really had no idea how to fight the war, and lost.

3. Romney is not a spontaneous or natural politician. Romney could spend his entire fortune to win a political office before he understood what it meant to be an effective politician comfortable pressing the flesh and listening to ordinary folks. This kind of mismatch of disposition and vocation is destined to fail in the end. It always does.

4. Romney is a near-caricature of the privileged country club Republican who multiplied an inherited fortune through Wall Street speculations, i.e., in gaming with companies and people’s livelihoods as opposed to building something from the ground up. Unlike Donald Trump the millionaire who effortlessly talks and acts like a guy from the street, Romney cannot escape his unfortunate rich-kid persona, and when he tries only exaggerates his unease in his own skin. When Kennedy went after Romney as callous millionaire who stripped down companies for profit putting workers on the street, Romney fumbled badly. No republican will go after him for this. The Left however will take Kennedy’s playbook and give it a billion dollar production budget.

5. Romney represents shifting and expedient principles at a time when no quality could be more obnoxious to the electorate at large. People are craving honesty and firmness of principle. With Romney, Obama would have a rare opportunity to contrast himself as the more authentic, knowable and consistent commodity. This might very well cancel out any of Romney’s claims to superior competence or managerial skill. Obama will ask, “what good are those abilities if no one knows where he’ll be standing next on any issue?”

Romney personifies what the Left is looking and hoping for in a Republican. He is the last person Republicans should nominate. Republicans above all need to nominate a man or woman of deeply confident nature and firm principles who understands and even relishes political confrontation and war.

rrpjr on November 4, 2011 at 1:26 AM

rrpjr on November 4, 2011 at 1:26 AM

So many comments and insinuations in here that are incorrect!

Romney did build Bain Capital on his own initiative. He spun it off of the original company! He also was called back when the original company was hurting financially and turned it around like he did with the Olympics, Sports Authority, Staples, Domino’s, and hundreds of others saving thousands and thousands of jobs across America and the world with who those companies represent.

As far as the debates, Romney is the best debater on the stage and he will continue to prove that over these next debates. he would clean Obama’s clock because despite what everyone says about The One Obama cannot put two sentences together w/o his teleprompter.

g2825m on November 4, 2011 at 2:01 AM

As far as the debates, Romney is the best debater on the stage

g2825m on November 4, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Newt is a lot better.

John the Libertarian on November 4, 2011 at 2:25 AM

r keller on November 4, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Worth repeating. Journolist 2.0

scotash on November 4, 2011 at 2:27 AM

I’d bet that if Rush Limbaugh ran for President in ’12 he’d have a decent chance at winning. Even if he doesn’t win he will have, if not a larger soapbox, at least a different one. I want a president that is articulate, persuasive and wise and will provide moral leadership to a nation adrift. Obama will be too chicken to debate him, of course, but Rush can hold town halls and dare the MSM to air them. Even if they ignore him completely and have sensationalized scandal all day every day, I think it will just be the final nail in the MSM coffin and Rush could still win.

I think that independents will probably watch the town halls and if Rush minimizes the tweaking and stick to his message about America and capitalism and opportunity and freedom and liberty, people will be drawn to it particularly in ’12, I think.

I think he should pick somebody to balance the ticket that is less progressive and more libertarian than usual.

The town halls could include both Rush and his running mate, maybe some other conservatives too that might be in his cabinet. During interludes they can show video footage of a closet door in the WH where Obama is hiding instead of debating.

FloatingRock on November 4, 2011 at 2:29 AM

I’ve been as consistent as human beings can be.

Dang. There went Diet Coke all over my monitor…again.

kingsjester on November 4, 2011 at 7:04 AM

He’s not as “LIKEABLE” as Obama.

He is a soft Progressive in the Bush tradition. And he’ll cut on some programs (that probably doesn’t really mean CUT though) and grow others. But he’s probably not a Alinsky loving, America loathed either.

And he’s about as Conservative as Rockefeller was. Which means he’s a Democrat lite.

No more Bushes and that means Magic underwear Mitt.

But who ?

PappyD61 on November 4, 2011 at 7:10 AM

rrpjr on November 4, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Hahahahaha!!! Yeah, that is why the dems and media are attacking him and not the rest of the GOP candidates. Remember the excuse that you Palin worshipers used to explain why the dems and the media attacked Palin? Yeah, that’s right sparky, because she was the one they feared.

The ONLY point you made that is valid is #5. But even then, you are looking at this from YOUR narrow understanding of the reality of the political world at this time. The reality is that there are indies out there that consider your view as extremist and out of the mainstream. They wont vote for the reasons you predict.

Additionally, a huge majority of the GOP value defeating Obama over electing an ideologically pure candidate. As long as Romney can poll as the candidate to defeat Obama, his flip-flops wont matter to them. His only challenge is to convince indies that he is being genuine at this time.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 7:21 AM

FloatingRock on November 4, 2011 at 2:29 AM

That’s a good one! You should have started off with calling your comment “a modest proposal”. I wonder how many people are going to believe that you are actually being serious? That is some serious satire and a great way to start the day!

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 7:25 AM

Newt’s reaction to the Cain drama today was quite…presidential.

Rational Thought on November 3, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Newt would be the last person to question someone’s morality, if ya get my drift.

kg598301 on November 4, 2011 at 7:45 AM

If you don’t like Romney’s positions on the issues, wait a week.

SurferDoc on November 4, 2011 at 7:59 AM

I suppose the picture chosen of Mitt Romney here is so representative because you can’t tell if he’s lying to you this time, because you can’t see his eyes.

His only challenge is to convince indies that he is being genuine at this time.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Oh, that’s all?! “Indies” aren’t blind. Stands for ‘nuthin is Stands for ‘nuthin.

Marcus on November 4, 2011 at 8:04 AM

kg598301 on November 4, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Yep Gingrich couldn’t resist the temptation to Preach, it’s a bad habit of his.

What is there to say about Mitt Romney, that hasn’t been said before over, and over, and over again.

Meringue. That is it as far as Mittens can be identified. A pure puff putty-like personality. Maybe it goes strong and hard on this particular Web-site.

betsyz on November 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM

The Cain campaign retracts their accusation against the Perry campaign, brings to mind “Act in haste repent at leisure”

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 8:09 AM

His only challenge is to convince indies that he is being genuine at this time.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 7:21 AM

I am an Indie, I know he’s not genuine.

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 8:10 AM

If you don’t like Romney’s positions on the issues, wait a week a couple of days.

SurferDoc on November 4, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Telling abortion rights groups that he is their trojan horse candidate might give the unwashed primary voters some pause.

eaglewingz08 on November 4, 2011 at 8:36 AM

This comment isn’t about Romney, I was a supporter last time but am leaning elsewhere. I just want to point out the sources that allah thinks are legitimate sources for expressing conservative concern about Romney; eugene “they are eating humans in New Orleans” robinson, ron fournier, politico and the hill. Next to morgan freeman portraying characters who actually have a brain, allah the hillary voter moderating a “conservative” website may be one of the greatest performances of this century.

peacenprosperity on November 4, 2011 at 9:05 AM

I am an Indie, I know he’s not genuine.

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Hahaha. Yeah riiiight.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Marcus on November 4, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Hahahaha. Riiight. These are the people who elected Obama.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Hahaha. Yeah riiiight.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 9:13 AM

And before I was an Indie, I was a democrat for years so Mitt Romney’s squishy positions theoretically should appeal to me. Mitt “I’m whoever you need me to be” Romney, jumped the shark ages ago.

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Eh. These ‘revelations’ about what he told liberal groups are a big nothing:

He has never supported gay marriage. Most Americans support Civil Unions, so his views are not out of the mainstream even for most Republicans; If Herman Cain represents the ‘unsoftened’ view of abortion and the right flank/social cons whereby abortion would be illegal even for rape victims, methinks most people would favor a “softening” of those views; His views on global warming have been weak endorsements at best – for a long time now he has said we shouldn’t risk our economic growth in pursuit of a quest to solve a problem we don’t know for a fact exists.

So, all of you Hot Airians can predict he is unelectable. I will remain a lonely contrarian at this site and say that he is.

Buy Danish on November 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM

bears repeating

I don’t know how to love them.
What to do, how to move them.
I’ve been changed, yes really changed.
In these past few days, when I’ve seen myself,
I seem like someone else.
I don’t know how to take this.
I don’t see why he moves me.
They are Rinos. just a Rino.
And I’ve voted for so many ones before,
In very many ways,
They are just one more.
Should I bring him down?
Should I scream and shout?
Should I speak of Romneycare,
Say the one is too fat?
I never thought I’d come to this.
What’s it all about?
Don’t you think it’s rather funny,
I should be in this position.
I’m the one who’s always been
So calm, so cool, no fatty’s fool,
Running every show.
They scare me so.
I never thought I’d come to this.
What’s it all about?
Yet, if they said they are conservative,
I’d be lost. I’d be frightened.
I couldn’t cope, just couldn’t cope.
I’d turn my head. I’d back away.
I wouldn’t want to know.
They scare me so.
I want them so.
I love them so

Bradky on November 4, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Hahahaha. Riiight. These are the people who elected Obama.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Let’s look closer at that. Why the Indies voted in large numbers for Obama? One he promised to halve the deficit by 2012. Obama ran as the anti George W Bush candidate the same George W Bush who got TARP passed in September of 2008. They expected that as being the anti Bush candidate that Obama would govern as a centerist, and stop the big government spending. Instead Obama turned into George W Bush on steroids.

What happened in the 2010 Mid Term elections, that made the Indie’s swing back in large numbers to the right? The Republicans swept elections across the country a 700 seat gain. The TEA party and their message of Small limited government, and fiscal responsibility resonated with the Independents. Indie’s care about conservative fiscal government policy. We could care less what consenting adults do in their bedrooms we are not value voters.

Barack Obama: Scott Brown (R) Massachusetts got elected on the same anger that got me elected. Massachusetts a deep blue state where Scott Brown (Republican) won Ted Kennedy’s legacy Senate seat on the TEA party – PUMA wave. Democrat registered voters out number Republican registered voters in Massachusetts, it took Indies to push Scott Brown (R) over the finish line they were listening to the TEA party message.

Indie’s know exactly what Mitt Romney represents, and he doesn’t pretend to be aligned with the TEA party movement. If Romney supporters want to pretend that Indies are liberal global warming loving – big government loving squishes, they really have no clue what drives Independents to vote the way they do. If Romney’s constituents were even close to being correct in their analysis of who “Independents” are we would be discussing John McCain’s reelection right now not Barack Obama’s reelection.

Mitt Romney lost to John McCain who lost to Barack Obama. The GOP is still fighting the last war. If only they had run Romney against Obama in 2008, they would have won. Except we have had another election since then in 2010. The next election is 2012 not 2008 redux. The country has moved on, but the establishment republicans are stuck in the past, and can’t move on (out of touch with the American electorate) They think a Bob Dole my turn next guy is going to get Indies to turn out? Mitt Romney isn’t as vanilla a candidate as Tim Pawlenty, but he’s a runner up. I am not invested in the republican party – I can easily see myself voting for the libertarian candidate.

And if Obama wins a second term.

People get the government they deserve, Thomas Jefferson.

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Buy Danish on November 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I don’t know that something couldn’t happen an incident that so turned off enough people to Obama between now and the election in November 2012, that a Garden Gnome could beat Obama.

Right now Obama is weak but he’s not down for the count. I would rather run someone that is strong enough and appealing enough that Obama’s vulnerabilities are a moot point. Translation: I would like to see the Obama campaign sandbagged.

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 10:10 AM

g2825m on November 4, 2011 at 2:01 AM

I can see why you chose that username. I wouldn’t want anything approaching a real username attached to that load of bull either! Hundreds of companies and thousands of jobs? Really? Wall Street finance companies are 2nd rate companies. They produce no real products, and are only productive when betting on other companies that do the real heavy lifting!

dominigan on November 4, 2011 at 10:18 AM

His only challenge is to convince indies that he is being genuine at this time.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 7:21 AM

I am an Indie, I know he’s not genuine.

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Being a conservative, I also know he’s not genuine. I guess csdeven’s argument is that he can appeal to more stupid people than Obama, even though I’m pretty sure Obama has a majority of the stupid people locked in.

dominigan on November 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM

dominigan on November 4, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Bain Capital

Think “Other People’s Money” and Larry the Liquidator.

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 10:23 AM

dominigan on November 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I don’t see Obama winning the Independents back. Because of this rule, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

I jumped off the fence when John McCain picked Sarah Palin for his VP. I could tell by the MSM’s red hackles she was the real deal.

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 10:26 AM

A lot of people forget that the TEA party is a libertarian flavored movement. Independents have shown through 2 elections, they are concerned with the National Debt, the deficit spending, and the bloated federal government. We are coming close to 15 Trillion dollar national debt, and for some reason the establishment – progressive republicans see their status quo candidate as the answer. Thanks but no Thanks. Our canoe is headed for the rapids, and we don’t need another stay the course captain :)

Our two political parties really need an overhaul for the 21st century, this is why the Independent’s numbers are growing. There is the Democrat party- Big Labor Party, and the Republican Party – Status Quo Party. They are both outdated, and are not transitioning to the new realities of the new world order – the old cold war order is crumbling. We are not in a good position to compete in a “Global Economy”. The American people need two political parties, that can represent the majority of Americans, not just the loud fringe.

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Translation: I would like to see the Obama campaign sandbagged.
Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 10:10 AM

By whom? How would this sandbagging manifest itself? The Garden Gnome has to win the primaries before he can sandbag Obama with his awesome but heretofore hidden strengths.

Buy Danish on November 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Yet polling shows Romney consistently competing, if not beating Obama.

Go figure.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 11:48 AM

dominigan on November 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM

See, you can’t make it all about you. The polling shows Romney perform quite well against Obama so you are clearly out of the mainstream.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Wait! Are you telling us you were on the fence and thinking of voting for Obama until McCain picked Palin in August 2008- after he had cinched the Republican nomination? Or are you saying the fence was your home, where you were prepared to stay on Election Day?

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 10:43 AM
A lot of people forget that the TEA party is a libertarian flavored movement.

I never forget that and make that point to “conservatives” who attack Romney on Libertarian, not conservative grounds.

Buy Danish on November 4, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Buy Danish on November 4, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but McCain and Obama were not the only 2 people on the ballot in 2008. It wasn’t an either or choice.

Come 2012 if Romney is the republican nominee,I will look into who is running on the libertarian ticket.

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Yet polling shows Romney consistently competing, if not beating Obama.

Go figure.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 11:48 AM

And yet other polls show Obama beating Romney.

The only poll that counts is on election day when people vote.

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Okay, fine. Technically there were more people on the . ballot. Voting for any one of them was essentially no different from choosing to stay home on Election Day.

Buy Danish on November 4, 2011 at 1:18 PM

And yet other polls show Obama beating Romney.

One poll doesn’t make a trend. Why don’t you wait until you have a trend before hanging your argument on one poll?

The only poll that counts is on election day when people vote.

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I don’t get why people use that response when the context had nothing to do with election day results? I suspect because you have to change the context to make your point seem valid. Polls are snapshots and are very useful in illustrating trends. Those trends help us to determine the direction what resonates with the electorate. I have never seen anyone suggest that the polling today will be exactly what happens on election day, so do us all a favor and cease doing so.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 12:59 PM

If you want to waste your vote, then that is your right and I daresay your obligation to stick to your values. I guess making a statement that only serves to make you feel better is a value. It isn’t most folks values because we know that no one gets their way all the time. Compromise is a fact of life for anyone that respects the values in the constitution that are based on the fact that we are all individuals and will have differing values AND we will have to engage in give and take in order to get along.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Buy Danish on November 4, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Riiiight, you get to decide how people vote in this country, and what their votes mean. That’s not even close to the definition of how a free country operates.

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 2:03 PM

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 1:33 PM

For petes sake the polls in 2007 were showing Rudy Giuliani and Fred Thompson polling at the top this same time period leading up to 2008 Election.

When did they win republican nomination in 2008 again?

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Hysterical hyperbole alert! Noooooh, we all individually get to decide and if you decide to throw your vote away and implicitly help the Dem candidate it’s your choice, I’d only ask you use common sense and remember Florida 2000.

Buy Danish on November 4, 2011 at 2:15 PM

When did they win republican nomination in 2008 again?

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 2:07 PM

For petes sake, show we where anyone claims that the polling today guarantees the results on election day.

I’ll wait while you contemplate your straw man argument.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Buy Danish on November 4, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I am not a republican if the republican loses in 2012, it’s because the republican party put up a weak candidate again. What part of, I am an Independent, that leans libertarian, and not invested in the republican party don’t you get?

If Obama get’s reelected in 2012.

People get the government they deserve, Thomas Jefferson.

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 2:34 PM

I’ll wait while you contemplate your straw man argument.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 2:30 PM

That doesn’t make sense you introduced polling in the first place.

Yet polling shows Romney consistently competing, if not beating Obama.

Go figure.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Which is it – polling at this period of time, means something or it doesn’t?

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Which is it – polling at this period of time, means something or it doesn’t?

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 2:38 PM

AGAIN, show the group where anyone except you are suggesting that the polling today guarantees the results on election day. We’ll wait.

Rational folks, like those who donate their hard earned cash to campaigns, use polling to support candidates that have the best chance to beat Obama. All one has to do is look at history to see that polling is hugely accurate as a snapshot in time and very useful in establishing ones election strategy.

You, and other ideologues like you, don’t care about strategy because you live in a make believe world where right always prevails and proof by assertion is always effective. The reality is that people are different. Even people on the same side politically don’t always agree. Ergo, for any thing to get done, all have to compromise. You types refuse to accept that fact.

csdeven on November 4, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Dr Evil on November 4, 2011 at 2:34 PM

I get it. You’ll let Obama be re-elected just so you can pat yourself on the back for being an oh so independent principled Libertarian who thinks they’ve taught the voters a lesson. Rah Rah!

Buy Danish on November 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM