NH Republicans to Rick Perry’s teasers: Sober up and stop giggling about his “animated” speech

posted at 1:25 pm on November 3, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Rick Perry was clearly feeling good last Friday when he laughed and joked to the crowd at the Cornerstone Action annual dinner in New Hampshire — but it wasn’t because he was drunk or drugged up. He was just feeling good. He’s already said it once. Does he have to keep repeating it?

Apparently, he does. The amusing clip of Perry’s lively performance circulated widely online and sparked friendly taunts and teases from Jon Stewart, among others. Perry’s first defense of himself didn’t undo the damage.

So now, New Hampshire Republican officials want outside observers to sober up and stop giggling. All the attention to Perry’s slurs and smiles has become a distraction from serious issues on the trail in the Granite State, they say. So, they plan to speak at a press conference today to defend the Texas governor.

In the meantime, their defense should be bolstered by the candidate’s repeat testimony to the San Francisco Chronicle:

Perry shrugged off the criticism and appeared flummoxed by the attention to the address.

“I’ve probably given 1,000 speeches. There are some that have been probably boring, some that have been animated, some that have been in between,” he said. …

Responding to the suggestions by some political observers that the animated Perry may have been on pain medication for his past back surgery, the governor said: “No. I was just giving a speech.” …

Asked about “The Daily Show” comedian Jon Stewart’s suggestion that Perry looked like he had been drinking, the governor said, “It wasn’t that either.”

“It’s not that I wouldn’t love to sit down with Jon and have a glass of wine,” he said with a laugh, adding “if he’ll buy.”

A couple thoughts: (1) I love it that Perry’s drink of choice apparently would have been a glass of wine. I’d have pegged him for a Wild Turkey kind of guy. (2) Maybe it’s hard to believe Perry would appear this alive in a speech because he appears so asleep in debates. Kind of a relief to know he’s able to be relaxed and comfortable (if you can call it that) in a public setting.

Now, seriously, let’s seriously move on to serious issues …

Comments

Perry was terrific on Hannity last night.

John the Libertarian on November 3, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Even Brit Hume said this was much ado about nothing.

kerrhome on November 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I actually liked the clips I saw. He was engaging and funny.

karenhasfreedom on November 3, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Man people are sure ramped about Perry’s Hannity speech last night in a good way.

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 1:36 PM

“Does he have to keep repeating it?”

You forget Rick Perry is a member of the GOP running for President of the United States against Mitt Romney and Barack Hussein Obowma…

… He will have to keep repeating it until the end of time itself.

Seven Percent Solution on November 3, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I don’t know. I really want to forgive Rick Perry but we can’t have a drunkard in the White House…

MeatHeadinCA on November 3, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Rick – we’re not laughing at you, we’re laughing with you! Obviously you had a great time.

gatorboy on November 3, 2011 at 1:37 PM

But, but…he’s not electable! He’s dumber than a sack full of hammers! He’s not responsible for Texas’ success! He’s responsible for Texas’ liberal in-state tuition law, forced Gardasil injections and all that crony capitalism!

cartooner on November 3, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Another nothingburger.

petefrt on November 3, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Certainly a lot worse than slyly giving the middle finger to one’s opponent during a televised debate.

a capella on November 3, 2011 at 1:38 PM

“Now, seriously, let’s seriously move on to serious issues …”

CAIN…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on November 3, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Rick Perry likes giving speeches and meeting voters. He hates debates.

It’s no surprise to me that he’s animated in the first setting and subdued in the other. But I worry that he can’t win a campaign against Obama if he maintains that attitude during debates.

hawksruleva on November 3, 2011 at 1:41 PM

With the SS Herbtanic taking on water this is Perry’s time to climb back up. The edited clip everybody passed around made him look drunk, but with the full 25 minute version it was obvious that he was relaxed and enjoying himself.

Southernblogger on November 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM

But anonymous sources have told me that they saw Rick Perry drinking copious amounts of vodka while another anonymous source was told by another anonymous source that they saw Rick Perry taking large quantities of anonymous pills.

Knucklehead on November 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I saw Perry getting on a bus once… and there were multiple women on that bus.

You do the math.

mankai on November 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM

CAIN…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on November 3, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I just flashed to James T Kirk going “KAHN” “KAHN” when I read this LOL!

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Another nothingburger.

petefrt on November 3, 2011 at 1:37 PM

do you realize that you have to pay Erick Erickson $1 toward his own cheeseburger fund for every use of that word?

gatorboy on November 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM

cartooner on November 3, 2011 at 1:37 PM

You shoulda’ brought up the rock. chupachudi will spank you for not bringing up the rock.

cozmo on November 3, 2011 at 1:45 PM

He appeared a little buzzed.

Christien on November 3, 2011 at 1:45 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 3, 2011 at 1:36 PM

That’s what I’m screaming. He’s messed up on something. Remember the third debate?

DanaSmiles on November 3, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Anyone who has ever seen Perry live knows he has different styles to speeches. In large crowds he kind of goes full on preacher style. In intimate settings he tends to be a bit goofy like he was in the video. Months ago when he was first thinking of getting in, I commented that I liked him but that he was a little strange in person. This is what I meant.

I have seen him act like this and believe me, he hadn’t been drinking. He gave me a hug (after I cheekily asked him what his plans for the border were) and he had not been drinking. My powers of smell are legendary. My dad says I could smell a flea fart.

mrsmwp on November 3, 2011 at 1:46 PM

mrsmwp on November 3, 2011 at 1:46 PM

he hugged you, and you didn’t run right out and file a sexual harassment complaint? What’s wrong with you?

cozmo on November 3, 2011 at 1:48 PM

cozmo on November 3, 2011 at 1:48 PM

LOL. I thought about that as I was typing it. Hey, I still have a few years to change my mind, right? :)

But seriously, you would have liked my question to him. I asked him what his plan to secure the border was and he kind of said “Well, uh…boots on the ground.” and I said “Well, that’s a good start. People around me were shocked at my insolence!

mrsmwp on November 3, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Spearing Cain is a step too far.

Speakup on November 3, 2011 at 1:52 PM

That’s presidential wit right there.

El_Terrible on November 3, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Spearing Cain is a step too far.

Speakup on November 3, 2011 at 1:52 PM

He did nothing to Cain.

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I saw Perry getting on a bus once… and there were multiple women on that bus.

You do the math.

mankai on November 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM

THATS A LIE!!! PERRY HATES THE ENVIRONMENT AND WOULD NEVER RIDE A BUS!!!

El_Terrible on November 3, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Pills?

Christien on November 3, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Mark Block just went on fox and rescinded his accusations against the Perry camp.

nswider on November 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM

nswider on November 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Pretty soon there will be critiques of Republican breathing.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2011 at 2:00 PM

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Yeah figured the Perry folks would enjoy that. Man Cain has just not handled this well at all, I blame Block frankly.

nswider on November 3, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Pills?

Christien on November 3, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Anonymous pills.

Knucklehead on November 3, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Maybe the reason people think he was drunk is because they are trying to explain why his campaign has SUCKED so badly.

What are you…….drunk?

UGGGGHHH, and there’s another year of this?

Pick your Mainstream media poison boys and girls because it will be like this EVERY SINGLE DAY from now until election day……and maybe even afterwards.

Here’s a sample ballot approved by the Mainstream media:

OBAMA (Jesus), Democrat

_______ (Satan), Republican

Any questions?

PappyD61 on November 3, 2011 at 2:03 PM

mrsmwp on November 3, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Get a book contract and line up plenty of anonymous sources first. You never know how these things turn out.

I really don’t want to support Perry. I am tired of him being governor. I am ready for new blood. The other candidates aren’t doing it for me. The way Cain is blaming all of his ills on Perry is starting to wear thin.

Helping him become president may be the only way to get him out of the rented house that is serving as the governor’s mansion.

cozmo on November 3, 2011 at 2:05 PM

nswider on November 3, 2011 at 2:01 PM

This has just become the biggest mess ever. It doesn’t make anybody look good.

Thanks for the info – I’m glad they walked it back.

YUCKY – this is just yucky

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Let Rick be Rick!

kg598301 on November 3, 2011 at 2:07 PM

nswider on November 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM

As a RP supporter I’d be a lot more angry with them if it all weren’t so pathetic. (Just saw the Mark Block interview a few minutes ago). Ugh. It’s really just sad.

kg598301 on November 3, 2011 at 2:11 PM

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Rush is going through all the allegations now including the latest from Pajamas media. Yeah this is just not good all the way around. Cain in a speech recently promised there were “no skeletons in my closet”, yeah, not exactly.

nswider on November 3, 2011 at 2:11 PM

cozmo on November 3, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I hear you. Perry is far from perfect but when I look at the issues he is the closest to my views. His biggest weakness for me is immigration obviously. But I asked myself if any of the others would be better. It’s easy for Bachmann to vote hardline in her lily-white, safe-Republican district. Cain doesn’t have a record to look to. Romney, well he’s Romney. We’re really in a bad situation here immigration-wise. So I decided that I will have to take Perry at his word about border security and being against amnesty and the US Dream Act. Hopefully a conservative House and a majority in the Senate will keep him honest.

mrsmwp on November 3, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Oh, it get’s better, you should hear some of the speeches he’s given down here :)

I think Perry is a welcome change to the vanilla flavor of the republican primary line up…..Ned Huntsman’s spray on tan not withstanding.

Dr Evil on November 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM

He’s OBVIOUSLY drunk. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly never has been.

Rainsford on November 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM

nswider on November 3, 2011 at 2:11 PM

It’s not good and it’s giving Obama an advantage as we fight against each other.

Perry said the same thing so here’s hoping his promise holds true.

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM

He’s given speeches down here, and he gets everyone excited….I can’t really remember what those speeches were about though….but they were very exciting GRIN.

Dr Evil on November 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Whoa.

kg598301 on November 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM

This whole story is one big ball of YUCK and it’s getting even worse apparently.

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM

He’s OBVIOUSLY drunk. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly never has been.

Rainsford on November 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Not true. I think otherwise and I’ve been drunk plent… uh, …never mind.

kg598301 on November 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM

True. Obamas numbers are improving and its not helping that all of the GOP candidates are taking their eye off the ball. Promote yourself and your postions, take on Obama, leave each other alone and may the best man win. They shouldnt weaken each other to the point where winning in the general becomes compromised.

nswider on November 3, 2011 at 2:16 PM

He’s OBVIOUSLY drunk. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly never has been.

Rainsford on November 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Any one who knows Perry was drunk has obviously never experienced Perry.

cozmo on November 3, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Let Rick be Rick!

kg598301 on November 3, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Live Free Or Die

Victory Or Death

Bring It

Don’t Mess With Texas

Perry is very good about sprinkling slogans – y’all like slogans, I got slogans – how’s that hope and change workin out for ya ;)

Dr Evil on November 3, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Any one who knows Perry was drunk has obviously never experienced Perry.

cozmo on November 3, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I really don’t think you could convince a person that hasn’t been in the same room with him!

mrsmwp on November 3, 2011 at 2:19 PM

The last bit Jon Stewart showed (9 percent) reminded me of Dana Carvey’s church lady skits.

agmartin on November 3, 2011 at 2:20 PM

nswider on November 3, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Exactly – Obama is the big winner in all of this and that is not the outcome we want obviously.

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Any one who knows Perry was drunk has obviously never experienced Perry.

cozmo on November 3, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Not everyone has been exposed to southern or Texas politics, we need to send the Perry Team new slogans.

Dr Evil on November 3, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Dr Evil on November 3, 2011 at 2:18 PM

My favorite thus far:

“Are you better off now than you were 4 trillion dollars ago?”

lol

kg598301 on November 3, 2011 at 2:23 PM

mrsmwp on November 3, 2011 at 2:19 PM

You won’t be able to convince some even if they had been in the room. Perry hatred is strong here.

cozmo on November 3, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Why do I keep thinking that Gov. Perry just isn’t ready for “prime time”?

Khun Joe on November 3, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Dr Evil on November 3, 2011 at 2:21 PM

LOL. I’m a Texas-transplant from Rhode Island. Talk about culture shock. It’s really only since I spawned two little Texans that I have felt “Texan” and I’ve been here since 1976!

mrsmwp on November 3, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Perry hatred is strong here.

cozmo on November 3, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Puzzling but true.

mrsmwp on November 3, 2011 at 2:28 PM

mrsmwp on November 3, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Ain’t that the truth. And I’ve been here most of my life.

cozmo on November 3, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I prefer Obama’s serious speeches about class warfare! And him secretly giving the finger to people! That’s a REAL speech!

Nethicus on November 3, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Perry will never learn his lesson.

Falz on November 3, 2011 at 2:39 PM

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Looks like this may be it. Hope it goes quickly, like ripping off a Band-Aid- so we can get on with real issues. I’m scared to go over to a Cain thread, the implosion is going to be horrific. Think I’ll stay here where it’s safe for awhile. :(

kg598301 on November 3, 2011 at 2:43 PM

kg598301 on November 3, 2011 at 2:43 PM

You afraid, say it ain’t so.

Fun is where you find it. After seeing so many Cain nuts (I’m a Cain supporter, not a nut) gleefully attack the other candidates with such thinly sourced material, I am enjoying it.

cozmo on November 3, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Now, seriously, let’s seriously move on to serious issues …

Anyone who holds a press conference to defend attacks from Jon Stewart mockery has already lost the argument….lol!

I hear that Perry’s campaign manager Sullivan plans to follow that up with a “Romney did it” defense.

sheryl on November 3, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Maybe there’s a re-education camp I could go to in N.H. to erase my very negative reactions to his bizarro speech.

Buy Danish on November 3, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Yes, let’s get back to serious issues. Need to finish polishing the nails for pinning Cain to the Wall.

Haven’t you heard? He made inappropriate comments to some women that work at a radio station in Iowa. They were horribly dreadfully inappropriate, so much so Cain should probably be put in prison, but we don’t actually get to know what they are because the women don’t want to get involved in this. That’s like really bad.

So, in the spirit of things, I think Rick Perry needs to be tested for drugs. I think we need to look for people that have seen Rick Perry act like this in the past and find out if he was on drugs at that time. There must be something there. Hey, wait a tick. I live in Texas and I think Perry must be on drugs. Quick! I want to go on the record! /

austinnelly on November 3, 2011 at 3:57 PM

mrsmwp on November 3, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Buy Danish on November 3, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Mrsmwp, Sorry that you aren’t too fond of Texas. Rhode Island is a culture shock to Texans too. I’m not sure why that has to be negative, it seems to me that diversity is one of the nice things about this Country.

Buy Danish, I guess I’m just one of those wierdo Texans that all the Texas haters on this site keep putting down, but I thought the speech was fine. What the heck is wrong with a bit of enthuthiasm? Cain is more animated and just as folksy as Perry much of the time, and you aren’t putting him down, but then he’s from Tennesee not Texas.

Listen to the whole speech, not just the sound bites that the MSM let you hear. He’s not drunk, his speech is not slurred and he obviously has control over what he is doing and saying.

But let’s be honest here, you wouldn’t like Perry if you agreed with every political position he took. You just flat out don’t like him. Ditto for many of the other Texas/Perry haters here.

Susanboo on November 3, 2011 at 4:22 PM

enthuthiasm = enthusiasm LOL!

Susanboo on November 3, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Not a fan of Perry but his speech was just fine. The idea that he had a little fun delivering it shows just how idiotic and irrational the critics. The politico-tainment industry just lives for creating chaos because it creates interest where it might otherwise not. Journalistic integrity and analysis has nothing to do with it.

It also partly explains why we’re never satisfied with our potpourri of candidates and why the best potpourri never materializes. Who in their right mind would want, actually aspire, to engage in the insane election gauntlet we’ve let morph into a spectacle? It’s embarrassing.

AnonymousDrivel on November 3, 2011 at 5:03 PM

He wasn’t drunk.

He is an AGGIE.

/longhorn

:D

bitsy on November 3, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Hannity interview – soooooooooooooooo good

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 6:47 PM

cozmo on November 3, 2011 at 2:46 PM

You know what, I just can’t, even though a lot of them have called me horrible names. They are so caught up in the cult of personality they can’t think straight. I just can’t help but think how I’ll feel when those kind of attacks hit Perry- if he manages to claw his way back. As I’ve said before, this is small potatoes compared to what we’ll see in the general election. We haven’t even seen a glimpse of the nastiness that is going to come out of the Dems, I shudder to think about it.

Plus, I am too familiar with the law of reaping what you sow to take pleasure in someone else’s suffering. Well, on second thought maybe I could if they were Obama voters. lol

kg598301 on November 3, 2011 at 7:00 PM

All the attention to Perry’s slurs and smiles

Tina? Where in the video did he “slur”? I’ve watched the full 25 minute version three times and no where did he ever “slur”.

With friends like these…

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on November 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Susanboo on November 3, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Sorry, but I can’t take anyone who calls commenters “Texas haters” seriously. I had absolutely zero preconceived notions about Perry. I have nothing against Texas. He’s an awful Presidential candidate. Don’t “hate” me because I’m right.

Buy Danish on November 3, 2011 at 9:28 PM