Networks can’t get enough of this Herman Cain scandal

posted at 6:13 pm on November 3, 2011 by Tina Korbe

As Chris Cillizza just tweeted, “Sometimes picking the ‘Worst Week in Washington’ winner is tough. This is not one of those weeks.” Since Sunday night, when Politico broke the 12-year-old news that two women accused Herman Cain of sexual harassment during his tenure at the helm of the National Restaurant Association, Cain has had it rough (that is, unless you look at his fundraising numbers).

True, Cain complicated matters for himself by not handling the scandal with the consistent aplomb this kind of hit requires. His evasions and revisions provided plenty of fodder for media outlets starved for a “GOP idiot” story. Still, it’s surprising the drip-drip of developments — a political consultant who backs up the claims here, an Iowa radio host who adds his own complaints there — has sustained as much coverage as it has. Networks have hit the story 50 times in just four days, according to a report from the Media Research Center.

Just for fun, the MRC compares that coverage to the attention the MSM gave to the Clinton sex scandals in the early 1990s. Bet you can guess what the results were:

In comparison, over a similar three-day period these same programs were far less interested in charges against Democrat Bill Clinton. After Paula Jones held a public press conference in February of 1994, there was only one report on her allegations.

Following Kathleen Willey’s July 1997 claims of being groped by the President, there were a mere three reports. For Juanita Broaddrick, who came forward in February 1999 to say Clinton raped her, only three stories followed charges appearing in the Wall Street Journal.

It should also be pointed out that all these women offered their names. They weren’t anonymous. Additionally, the accusations of assault and rape go far beyond what’s being mentioned with the Cain scandal.

This chart says it all:Herman Cain, Bill Clinton, news coverage of sex scandals

More recently, my anecdotal remembrance of Weinergate suggests the MSM didn’t warm to that story so quickly, either.

So, what’s the deal? Why are the MSM so fixated on this? Hint: It has nothing to do with Herman Cain. Every minute that’s dedicated to these accusations is a minute that’s not dedicated to today’s disappointing jobs numbers or Obama’s shrill harping of the AJA. Every minute that’s dedicated to these accusations is a minute that’s not dedicated to Obama’s low approval numbers or his wife’s startlingly angry advance campaigning. Every minute that’s dedicated to these accusations is a minute that’s not dedicated to the impending implosion in Europe or China’s ever-extending credit line.

Sure, it’s interesting to speculate who might have planted the story, whether it was a GOP rival or someone on the left. Yes, it’s amusing — after a fashion — to parse Cain’s responses and to predict how this scandal might affect his positive intensity scores and overall polling numbers. Fine, I’ll concede, it’s fascinating to observe Cain’s fundraising numbers go up as the scandal unfolds.

But, yesterday, Allah asked the exit question: “Know who this helps?” Maybe it does help Mitt Romney somewhat. But it helps Barack Obama more.

The surest way to beat Obama in 2012 is to make the election a referendum on the policies he’s pursued. But won’t it be automatically, you ask? Not if the MSM succeeds in making it about the GOP nominee, whoever he or she might be. If the media can paint the Republican candidate as extreme — or maybe even just scandal-plagued personally — undecided voters will fixate on that and will fail to examine Obama’s record.

Believe me, I think character counts in a leader — and I don’t find it the slightest bit appealing that Cain has faced sexual harassment charges in the past. So, let’s factor in the accusations and the Cain campaign’s bumbling response to the drop of this story into our selection of a GOP nominee, but let’s not let it all dominate our news cycle such that it sinks Obama’s failures into oblivion.

Comments

Fast and Furious??? Cocaine bama???

Oil Can on November 3, 2011 at 6:15 PM

50 stories in four days.

And thats just at HotAir!

portlandon on November 3, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Networks can’t get enough of this Herman Cain scandal

Neither can HA….ugh

tommer74 on November 3, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Anyone want to dicuss the GOP candidates Tax palns??..Economic Plans??..I guess not..Nevermind..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM

50 stories in four days.

And thats just at HotAir!

portlandon on November 3, 2011 at 6:16 PM

And that’s just by AP at HA!
:D

whatcat on November 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Anyone want to dicuss the GOP candidates Tax plans??..Economic Plans??..I guess not..Nevermind..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Well, Cain must be getting under someones skin for all this krap? I might suggest Cain have a chat with Sarah on all the krap she had to deal with and maybe he will do a better job telling his story? If all this is true, my heart aches Cain would do this to his lovely wife.
L

letget on November 3, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Sorry, but repeating innuendo and gossip isn’t reporting news.

The news media keeps making the claim that they are breaking a big news story when all they are doing is reliving high school and gossiping about who is or isn’t pregnant, or who is sleeping with the jocks, or got drunk or stoned over the week end.

Skandia Recluse on November 3, 2011 at 6:19 PM

And thats just at HotAir!

portlandon on November 3, 2011 at 6:16 PM

And that’s just by AP at HA!
:D

whatcat on November 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM

=]

Jeddite on November 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Dire Straits on November 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Perry and Newt both have decent flat tax proposals. Which one do you prefer?

ps. Nice post :)

Kataklysmic on November 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM

“evasions and revisions” ROFLMAO!

That’s a very charitable way to describe the pack of lies Cain has been peddling. He can’t keep his lies straight from interview to interview. Here’s a few off the top of my head:

Promised there were “no skeletons” in his closet
Story is baseless
Falsely accused, did nothing wrong
Was no settlement he knew of
Didn’t think it was a settlement, just an “agreement” (Bill Clinton loves that one)
Forgot the details
Settlement not significant, equal to severance pay
Two-three months salary settlement
Remembered the only incident was the height of his wife thing
Accused former aide of leaking, said he was briefed (man denies knowing) in 2004

LYING HIS BUTT OFF.

Adjoran on November 3, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Skandia Recluse on November 3, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Politics are dirty but the media just makes it filthy.

This will pass and there will be a shakedown of sorts but the reality of the everyday person’s life will still be the determining factor on how they vote next year. Foreclosures, unemployment and a very dismal retail forecast do not bode well for the re-election of an arrogant incompetent.

sherry on November 3, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Kataklysmic on November 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM

They both have merit..I will lean more toward Perry’s because Forbes helped him design it and I have always liked Forbes ideas..:)

PS..I wanted Forbes to be President..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Neither can hotair, it seems.

Gag me with a spoon.

Sherman1864 on November 3, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Tina, tell me which one of these statements surprises you:

1. the media is corrupt and biased.
2. The MSM will take any Democrat scandal and sweep it under the rug.
3. The MSM will take any conservative scandal and run it on the front page until the conservatives career is destroyed.

Any conservative who doesn’t understand these and doesn’t have a plan to combat them should stay home and do cross-word puzzles.

Whining about how unfair the MSM is won’t defeat One-bama. Cain has handled this badly. Take a look at how Reagan handled the attacks on him. Does Iran-contra ring a bell??

Dear Lord, please convince Allen West to run for POTUS. Please!!

NickDeringer on November 3, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Gee, if only the media covered Obama’s mistress Vera Baker, who’s conveniently stashed away on Martinique with half the vigor they’re going after Cain.

Iblis on November 3, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Dire Straits on November 3, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I like Perry’s economic plan. I also appreciate his no BS approach toward entitlement reform. I am not sure he can regain his lost momentum. Do you think his hiring of the “we’ll make your TV bleed” team was the right move?

Kataklysmic on November 3, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Mr. Cain, come clean. It is only getting worse for you. And may I suggest you lose that “blockhead” of a campaign manager.

sandee on November 3, 2011 at 6:31 PM

“Not if the MSM succeeds in making it about the GOP nominee, whoever he or she might be.”

If…?

Seven Percent Solution on November 3, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Can someone please explain this to me?? I honestly don’t understand why the media is so pro-democrat. I understand that most of those in the MSM vote democrat. I get that. But why??? Don’t they have retirement accounts? Mortgages? Don’t they want lower taxes and their children and grandchildren to live with the same freedoms we’ve come to enjoy? Don’t they want to get out of this debt? Call me naive, but I honestly don’t get it.

Nikkia2112 on November 3, 2011 at 6:36 PM

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Romney, Newt, Bachmann, Perry, THIS IS THE FUTURE…..for ANY GOP nominee or front-runner.

(whether it’s true with Cain or anyone else it makes NO DIFFERENCE).

The Obama media WILL DESTROY ANY and all threats to it’s President.

And you KNOW it’s true.

Let that sink in for a minute and realize what that means.

PappyD61 on November 3, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Kataklysmic on November 3, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Good question..I don’t know..Perry has hired some new Team members who have experience..:)

PS..Newt is going to make a charge and gain some support..I just don’t know how much..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2011 at 6:39 PM

____________, the GOP FRONTRUNNER today response to new accusations of _______. Privately, some senior Republican analysts worry that ________ candidacy will not recover. Analysts also say Voters “appear” to be turning on _________.

Insert your preferred candidates name above.

PappyD61 on November 3, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Meanwhile, in Wasilla, a former guv sits in her living room with a big face palm, sighing, I coulda been the front runner, look how these guys are imploding.

Kissmygrits on November 3, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Psst.

The inside job is courtesy of Herman Cain.

There is no story.

It’s just an unconventional HERMAN CAIN.

Who’s everyone watching?

Woot. Win.

Key West Reader on November 3, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Isn’t it about time for Hot Air to start covering this story?

GaltBlvnAtty on November 3, 2011 at 6:45 PM

The Cain Train is also exposing the MSM for what it is. Irrelevant, uninformed, uninsipired and unintelligent.

GOTCHA!

Key West Reader on November 3, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Insert your preferred candidates name above.

PappyD61 on November 3, 2011 at 6:41 PM

I started to fill out your form but I’m scared it will change before I finish..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Dire Straits on November 3, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I will trudge naked though a snowstorm to vote out Obama. Even if the nominee is Mitt. I just wish our side didn’t look like amateur hour all the time.

Kataklysmic on November 3, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Look Different Now?

Herman Cain just zapped the entire MSM empire.

Key West Reader on November 3, 2011 at 6:49 PM

The slimy left wing “news” media will hang on to it like rabid hyenas . . . as long as its a Republican or more generally, a non liberal/leftist. But, regardless of whether or not the allegation is true, the mainstream media are doing their assigned tasks of crippling the GOP.

rplat on November 3, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Dang I wish this story would just end

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 6:49 PM

The inappropriate comment finally revealed:

“Cain said, ‘Darling, do you mind doctoring my tea for me?’”

andy85719 on November 3, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Exactly.

MayBee on November 3, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Dang I wish this story would just end

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Don’t we all..This thing has swallowed up everything..reminds me of the old movie The Blob..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2011 at 6:52 PM

There is no story.

It’s just an unconventional HERMAN CAIN.

Who’s everyone watching?

Woot. Win.

Key West Reader on November 3, 2011 at 6:44 PM

ROTFLMAO!
You could be right.

katy the mean old lady on November 3, 2011 at 6:52 PM

The inappropriate comment finally revealed:

“Cain said, ‘Darling, do you mind doctoring my tea for me?’”

andy85719 on November 3, 2011 at 6:50 PM

If that made someone uncomfortable they need to get out in the real world more.

gophergirl on November 3, 2011 at 6:53 PM

The inappropriate comment finally revealed:

“Cain said, ‘Darling, do you mind doctoring my tea for me?’”

andy85719 on November 3, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Holy hell! She’ll need years of therapy.

katy the mean old lady on November 3, 2011 at 6:55 PM

The inappropriate comment finally revealed:

“Cain said, ‘Darling, do you mind doctoring my tea for me?’”

andy85719 on November 3, 2011 at 6:50 PM

I thought it was “Honey, you must be this tall to ride the Cain-Train”

portlandon on November 3, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Isn’t it about time for Hot Air to start covering this story?
GaltBlvnAtty on November 3, 2011 at 6:45 PM

It took Hot Air about the same time as the gestation period of a wooly mammoth to report on Weinergate.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on November 3, 2011 at 6:56 PM

This is hilarious.

Does the MSM not understand that they have been duped? It began with the Mark Block ad. Collective huffing.

Meanwhile, we have the Obama campaign destroying the streets of Oakland, CA.

Here’s Mark Block again: Brought to you by a leftie faggitzed presenter

Herman Cain = Brilliant

Obama = Send him some Depend Undergarments
And… a Helmet; he’ll need it when Michelle gets her … on him.

Key West Reader on November 3, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Kataklysmic on November 3, 2011 at 6:47 PM

I will do the same to get rid of Obie..:)

PS..The MSM has a lot of blame for the way things have become..a freak show..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I heard Mark Levin mention Hot Air and this article by Tina Korbe at the start of his show and wanted to take a look at that graph. OMG is the only thing that comes to mind. Is that a joke?

RepubChica on November 3, 2011 at 7:00 PM

The inappropriate comment finally revealed:

“Cain said, ‘Darling, do you mind doctoring my tea for me?’”

andy85719 on November 3, 2011 at 6:50 PM
Holy hell! She’ll need years of therapy.

katy the mean old lady on November 3, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Let’s remember WHAT was in office when all these suits came out. Poor Hillary. At least they could afford surgery for what’s-her-name. Maybe she won’t have to get her boss some tea. Because, with THAT KINDA SURGERY? She is the boss.

Key West Reader on November 3, 2011 at 7:00 PM

I thought it was “Honey, you must be this tall to ride the Cain-Train”

portlandon on November 3, 2011 at 6:55 PM

LOL!..That is classic..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Networks can’t get enough of this Herman Cain scandal

Everyone else said it, but it bears repeating…Hot Air is at the top of the list. No conservative website has given this half the annoying coverage as HA.

Vigilante on November 3, 2011 at 7:03 PM

What if Cain and Block have brilliantly and deliberately mastermind this scandal leak in order to boost Cain’s name recognition while providing him a club to whack other candidates with and a stream of sympathy cash?

andy85719 on November 3, 2011 at 7:04 PM

The MSM has a lot of blame for the way things have become..a freak show..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2011 at 6:58 PM

No question. I honestly think they would rather die starving in a gulag than have a Republican pres.

Kataklysmic on November 3, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Key West Reader on November 3, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Some of these broads should spend a morning in a race horse barn. Now THEN you’ll get to hear “inappropriate”

katy the mean old lady on November 3, 2011 at 7:04 PM

I don’t remember the media being so excited when gay escort Larry Sinclair came forward with his revelations regarding Obama. Maybe Sinclair should try again since the media is in a different mood now.

Buddahpundit on November 3, 2011 at 7:06 PM

andy85719 on November 3, 2011 at 7:04 PM

You! Quit stealing KWR’s stuff.

katy the mean old lady on November 3, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Dear Mr. Cain,

Fuck the media and their douche nozzle Obama campaign staffers. Get back on message; forget this scandal and start talking about the issues: why more Americans than ever before are on foods stamps and why Fannie Mae wants to pay out over $12 million dollars to 10 execs…Where is the OWS outrage at this?

stuartm650 on November 3, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Kataklysmic on November 3, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Let’s send the MSM to the gulag in 2012..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I’m so mad I could spit.

THIS HAS TURNED INTO BULLYING BY POLITICO and the rest of the MEDIA.

It’s not being treated as a news story, it’s now officially a lynch party.

MaggiePoo on November 3, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Wow.
just wow.

Trying desperately NOT to run stories about the messes in DC.
ffs

bridgetown on November 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Something about sharks and blood. R on R blood with SCFoaMF clean as snow as the MSM must destroy his enemy at all costs. With the billions they have just waiting to spreed.

Some how before in the next 360 there will be stories of how the R eat a baby with Satan himself. And the Right will believe it, all of it. And when the R tries to enplane that it was just baby back rib and a guy named Stan and get what time of day wrong and what sauce he had the Right will attack faster than the left for some reason.

tjexcite on November 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM

LYING HIS BUTT OFF.

Adjoran on November 3, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Nope, you just can’t, or won’t, HEAR the truth.

pambi on November 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM

katy the mean old lady on November 3, 2011 at 7:04 PM

This has been another, “Glad nothing was in my mouth when I read that!”, moment.
Priceless.

listens2glenn on November 3, 2011 at 7:23 PM

katy the mean old lady on November 3, 2011 at 7:04 PM

this is such a great point. I swear women today are such victorian wall flowers. with their little hankies touching their delicate faces. Fainting at anything that upsets them in the slightest.

Get yourselves a little street smarts. Learn who to ignore, who to laugh off, who to slap, who it’s okay to kid with, and who you should just back away from. Stop shivering in your stilettos and running off to daddy lawyer.

MaggiePoo on November 3, 2011 at 7:36 PM

It is left wing payback for the Clinton stuff.

rjoco1 on November 3, 2011 at 7:55 PM

High Tech lynchings always draw a huge crowd of curious lookers.

jimw on November 3, 2011 at 7:56 PM

BTW- Edwards didn’t get this much attention and he was a vp candidate and held elected office. Can you say double standard

rjoco1 on November 3, 2011 at 7:56 PM

The media is trying like hell to cover for obummer and solyndra deal. They are pushing the cain story to keep solyndra off the front page.

ColdWarrior57 on November 3, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Blogs elevated to network status!

Schadenfreude on November 3, 2011 at 7:59 PM

They can give into their racist tendencies without fear of being called out on it. They can also insulate themselves from charges of being unable to attack black men.

eaglewingz08 on November 3, 2011 at 8:04 PM

I guess it’s the 24-hour news cycle, but when I see one of these things start, I get bored to the yawning point pretty fast. There is only so much hammering on a single subject that I can take.

Surely something else is happening somewhere else in the world, isn’t there?

hachiban on November 3, 2011 at 8:04 PM

How many stories about Jessie Jackson’s ‘love child’?

GarandFan on November 3, 2011 at 8:13 PM

They are also trying to cover up this little tid bit.

ColdWarrior57 on November 3, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Well pot. Maybe the kettle is black, but so are you. The score is now 10 Cain picture/threads to 35 total. You say the news have hit Cain 50 times in the last 4 days. To be worse than Hot Air, there would have been 175 stories in the 4 days, or 44 stories per day. You were doing good for a while. You had it down to only 5 Cain picture/threads.

Old Country Boy on November 3, 2011 at 9:14 PM

50 stories in four days.

And that’s just hotair and ace-of-spades.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 3, 2011 at 9:29 PM

LYING HIS BUTT OFF.

Adjoran on November 3, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Work for Politico?

listens2glenn on November 3, 2011 at 9:32 PM

50 stories in four days.

And that’s only counting the different stories Cain himself has given!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on November 3, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Hot Air has no room….

Ronnie on November 3, 2011 at 11:49 PM

That’s because it’s not rape rape, if a middle aged leftist cow, having been dumped for a newer model, harbors fantasies about the rapist/groper/molester/exposer.

Which reminds me, when is the next fundraiser for Senatorette Klobuchar, featuring Chippendale Bill Clinton. Nothing gets the cows throwing money more, than hawt entertainment!

MNHawk on November 4, 2011 at 7:20 AM