Uh oh: Witness found to Cain incidents?

posted at 1:25 pm on November 2, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

So far, neither of the two alleged complainants from Herman Cain’s tenure at the National Restaurant Association have come forward publicly, although it appears at least one would like NRA to release her from her confidentiality agreement to do so.  However, a pollster who worked for NRA at the time told KTOK in Oklahoma that he witnessed both incidents — and that if the women talk, Cain’s candidacy would be over:

Interviewed today on KTOK’s Mullins in the Morning, [Chris] Wilson, of Wilson-Perkins-Allen Opinion Research headquartered in Washington, D.C. explained he was a witness to the incident.  “I was the pollster at the National Restaurant Association when Herman Cain was head of it and I was around a couple of times when this happened and anyone who was involved with the NRA at the time, knew that this was gonna come up.”

Wilson described the woman as a low level staffer who was maybe two years out of college.  “This occurred at a restaurant in Crystal City (Virginia) and everybody was aware of it,” he continued.  “It was only a matter of time because so many people were aware of what took place, so many people were aware of her situation, the fact she left—everybody knew with the campaign that this would eventually come up.”

Wilson claims that he also can’t discuss the specifics, for legal reasons.  I’m not quite clear as to what that might be.  He may have signed a broad non-disclosure agreement with NRA to get the polling work, but if that’s the case, he just violated it with this statement today.  Unless he also participated in the settlement/severance agreements with the women, he’s as free to discuss the details as the fact that he witnessed them.  And it’s difficult to see how Wilson would have been involved in a settlement between NRA and the two employees.

However, Wilson isn’t only linked to NRA and Cain from years gone by.  His firm has conducted polling in this presidential race for the Make Us Great Again PAC.  And guess which candidate is favored by MUGA-PAC?  Why, none other than … Rick Perry.  The PAC has no formal connection to Perry’s campaign, but it’s certainly boosting Perry as the Republican nominee in the primary.

Could Wilson be more than just a witness in this story?  Could he be a source?  It could just be a coincidence that a witness to these alleged incidents did work for an organization pushing Perry, and that the story mysteriously got to Politico as Cain took support away from Perry in mid-October.  If he is the source, then conducting an interview on the topic has to be one of the dumber political moves I’ve seen.

Update: Some are saying that this indicates Romney as the source of the leak, but I’m not terribly convinced that a one-time donation means much.  Romney has less to fear with Cain as his main opponent than others in the race, and besides, no one knows whether Anderson ever knew about the incidents at all.  Other board members say they didn’t.  YMMV, however.

Update II: There have been plenty of developments that we have covered in other posts, but this development should be noted here:

Wilson emails THE WEEKLY STANDRD: “To be clear, and you can ask any of the reporters covering this story, I had nothing to do with leaking this in any way, and I’ve never discussed or shared this story with any of my clients – period.”

I’m pretty sure Politico won’t confirm or deny on any speculation on sources, but Wilson’s denial should be noted on this post.  However, John McCormack notes that Wilson has another indirect connection to the Perry campaign:

But pollster Tony Fabrizio, who was Wilson’s boss at Fabrizio, McLaughlin & Associates at the time of the alleged incidents, was hired by the Perry campaign in October.

Although Wilson claims that “anyone who was involved with the NRA at the time knew that this [incident with Cain] was gonna come up,” Fabrizio says he didn’t now that Cain was accused of sexual harassment.

“Our firm worked for the NRA prior to Herman Cain’s ascendancy there, during his presidency, and even for a little bit after that,” Fabrizio tells THE WEEKLY STANDARD. “But I was never witness to any of what Chris is saying, or at least what I’ve read as the account of what he’s saying.”

But did Wilson ever tell his boss about any of these incidents or allegations? “No, not that I recall, no,” says Fabrizio.

We’ll see.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:13 PM

You have got to be kidding…are you that stupid? Really?
Look what I was responding to, I was referring to the law firm…now look at the post that you quoted at 2:59….

Releasing privileged information means breaking the law…and yes you can go to jail and lose your law license.
right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 2:48 PM

See where I was talking about the law firm, and losing the license, I don’t think (or know) if the “girls” have law licenses, so it must be pretty obvious that I was talking about the attorney’s, or para-legals…good grief.
Let it go, you are embarrassing yourself…
Now if you want to get technical…every state has different laws regarding releasing or breaking attorney/client confidentiality, most are pretty severe, and all are potential loss of license….but geee, I don’t know how you lose a law license if you don’t have one…sheeesh….

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 3:27 PM

This doesn’t pass the giggle test. The only people who have relevant information about the incidents are Cain, who says he’s innocent, the women, who say he’s guilty, and the restaurant association’s independent investigators, who don’t seem to have rendered judgment on the merits of the accusations.

KingGold on November 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Sorry man – but the GOP voter deserves to hear more than Saint Herman’s side of the story.

I know you trust the guy … but I don’t trust him as far as I can throw a Ford F150.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Perry-backer delivering the hit job. Hence, the blog entry.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Maybe, but it’s not even Perry. It’s a super PAC that leans toward Perry. AND there is no proof that he is the source. There are other stories flying around that point to Romney, like this one: http://amerpundit.com/2011/11/01/did-romney-supporter-leak-cain-allegations-to-politico/

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM

The Romney people arent worried about him, he will fizzle out like the rest and they know that. Hes not dumb enough to damage his own campaign by leaking to Politico of all places to damage an already weak campaign. What new advertisement did they launch today? An attack linking Perry to Jerry Brown in California, they arent worried about Cain they are worried about Perry.

nswider on November 2, 2011 at 2:09 PM

1. I think you misunderstand me, I don’t have a problem with this information being leaked. Two sexual harassment settlements is substantive information that should be revealed. I think Mitt is the source because he is the most prepared and strategically-minded candidate. See my last post.

2. Romney needs to prevent Cain from gaining too much momentum and stealing votes from Perry, Gingrich, Bachmann, etc.. He cannot attack Cain head on because Cain is likeable and Cain hasn’t gone after Romney. Leaking information of this nature in an anonymous manner makes complete sense for any of the candidates.

3. Regardless of your opinion of Politico, they are unabashed in their enthusiasm for protecting their anonymous sources, which is why they get so many scoops, and which in turn guarantees that their big stories will ricochet out of the D.C. media into mainstream coverage. Politico is a perfect outlet for this story.

4. Saying that Cain will fizzle out of his own volition is an extremely passive strategy for a frontrunning candidate in Romney’s position. A more realistic strategy for Romney would be to keep any one candidate from gaining too much momentum and locking up the conservative vote– which is exactly what Romney’s approach has been throughout the campaign. That strategy calls for active engagement, not Zen-like passivity. He would be a fool to sit by and hope Cain “fizzles out”. Romney may be a lot of things, but he is not a fool.

Lawdawg86 on November 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Jeb

crash72 on November 2, 2011 at 3:30 PM

I’m also really tired of this “Cain is a true conservative” crap.
2. He endorsed Romney

HERMAN CAIN IS NOT A CONSERVATIVE

bigred on November 2, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Rush Limbaugh also endorsed Romney that same year. Prior to being selected as VP Palin responded to an interview question about her nomination preference by saying she liked Romney and Ron Paul.

Clearly Palin and Rush are conservatives for endorsing Romney, so Cain is too.

hanzblinx on November 2, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Clearly Romney was running as a conservative that year. I would have voted for him in the primary over Huckabee or McCain on the basis of what he said. Now, I’m glad I never got the chance. Looks like Romney was the worst of the three, not the best least bad.

didymus on November 2, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Who says she doesn’t want to talk?

Maybe she’s holding out for money. It’s likely she’ll lose the $35K if the NRA takes her to court – maybe she can’t pay it right now?

But if the National Enquirer pays her $50K …

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Heh, why, another anonymous source, of course.

Maybe she’s holding out for money? Not a doubt in my mind. But I’d qualify the theory this way: She and/or her self-promoting lawyer are both lefties out to make money. I’m betting the lawyer is pushing her to talk and driving this entire story.

Not just National Enquirer would offer cash. If they thought there were a damaging story there, lefty bankrollers would be a dime a dozen.

petefrt on November 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Wishful thinking. Interesting that you haven’t even heard her story and yet, you are willing to think the worst of her.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Why not. You seem to thinkss Cain is a drunken molester with no facts at all.

katy the mean old lady on November 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Dr Evil on November 2, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Interesting…so if it were a Board member, he violated his fiduciary duty to the Association by leaking to Politico.

To me that screams civil legal trouble at the very least.

Also, the source of this “understanding” is the attorney for the woman, who has an understandable interest in trying to deflect attention away from his client as the original source of the story. There’s even a wiggle phrase: “[my] understanding is…”

Again, not impossible but it’s still a bit of a stretch for me to believe it.

JohnTant on November 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Assuming the NDA is missing boilerplate language forbidding the woman from selling or otherwise profiting from disclosure.
And that’s a really lousy assumption.
JohnTant on November 2, 2011 at 3:12 PM

That wouldn’t realy be boilerplate language for an NDA, it would be one of the essential elements. I also guarantee the document contains a liquidated damages clause calling for more damages than just the 35K along with a stipulation for a preliminary and permanent injuction to prevent additional disclosures if a party is shown to have violated their obligations. These are standard provisions.

tommyboy on November 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

KingGold on November 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Of course, and rumors are not facts, a difficult thing for some posters to understand.
He doesn’t have to “defend” himself, no facts have been presented.
That’s like calling a neighbor a child molester, than demanding that he prove himself innocent…it’s crazy talk, guilty until proven innocent. What is concerning is that many are oblivious to this, they are acting as fact.
I have demanded facts from one poster who claimed fact and he doesn’t have it, but still persists…it’s not just weird, it’s kind of scary, the thought process, witch trial stuff….

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Ya she was mortally wounded by the inappropriate behavior she kinda witnessed that maybe was directed her way…while everyone else was watching. she didn’t like her job anyway and slinging an sexual harrassment charge maybe got her the year’s severance package deal. Wow. genius. rich, really rich.

gracie on November 2, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Why not. You seem to thinkss Cain is a drunken molester with no facts at all.

katy the mean old lady on November 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Absolutely not – I’ve stated many times that these charges probably amount to nothing. However, the man is running for President – and we deserve to hear all sides of this story.

I DO think he’s ACTING guilty though.

If it were me and I were innocent – I’d be begging the NRA to allow these women to talk. Better to have it out sooner than later – if you’re innocent that is.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Why not. You seem to thinkss Cain is a drunken molester with no facts at all.

katy the mean old lady on November 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I asked him for links to back up his facts, but he won’t produce them…well he produced “facts” of what I stated, unfortunately, one can just go back and read and see his “facts” aren’t to accurate.
Hey, but he knows what Cain has done, has a hard time following posts for a few minutes, but by gone, he knows what Cain is guilty of…

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 3:34 PM

gracie on November 2, 2011 at 3:34 PM

This really is the sickness of the Herman Cainlusionalism Cult.

Haven’t even heard all sides of the story and they have no desire to. In fact, completely willing to besmirch people when they don’t even know them.

Stay classy.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM

True. Also to be factored in would be the possibility of punitive damages in such a suit.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 3:22 PM

But very unlikely in a breach of contract action.

Take your own advice…notice I stated “law license”, there are severe penalties for breaking attorney/client privilege and that extends to the para-legals who handle the contracts.
I never mentioned “non-disclosure”, I stated “privileged information”,

Disbarment is severe, but it isn’t jail time, is a penalty given by the state bar, which can’t put people in jail (even lawyers) and doesn’t apply to paralegals (just ask Merrell Williams).

LASue on November 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 3:34 PM

What facts? You said people would go to jail if they talked. I said you were full of shirt – and you are – cuz this is all civil stuff.

Try again.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Even if Romney’s team did put this out, wasn’t it going to come out anyway? I mean come on. This is an MSM dream.

Also, http://www.damndirtyrino.com/2011/11/01/what-a-shame-for-herman-cain/

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:34 PM

No, you stated that he was charges of sexual harassment was filed against him…don’t try to squirm away from what you posted.
So show us the links to the filed sexual harassment charges….
It’s tough when you are caught in an outright lie…the best thing to do is to man up and apologize for being incorrect.

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Are you suggesting Cain hasn’t bungled it?

I’ll not only suggest it, I’ll overtly state that I don’t believe he has been bungling the way so many others have.

Maybe that’s what’ll happen when you resist the impulse to jump to conclusions – you’ll take it more into account that he couldn’t possibly have had the success he’s had in life if he were a bumbling fool the way personality-disordered, bumbling fools like Aslan’s Girl, HondaV65, and Punkchenko portray him, and you’ll notice, like I have, that he recovers from his errors better than his cynical critics give him credit for.

From his poll numbers, it sure looks like I’m not alone in my assessment. :)

Are you using polls as a substitute for your own judgment?

rrpjr on November 2, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Not at all.

I admit that I find it very telling that you asked me that!

Bizarro No. 1 on November 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Try again.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM

YOu don’t give up…of course you don’t, even when it is black and white…I was talking about the attorney’s, the law firm.
And you are saying you never stated that Cain had sexual harassment charges filed against him?

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Another 300+ posts, half of them by 3 or 4 posters with waaayyyy too much time on their hands…

I take it that means there are still no actual accusations?

MNHawk on November 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM

what we have here, today, is a Perry-backer delivering the hit job. Hence, the blog entry.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Y’all, whatta’cattoy has a bone and is running with it. Maybe Perry’s camp did it, maybe not. What this tells us is that the story isn’t that hidden. You can bet Obama has it, and would have used it next October. Better that this happens now.

cozmo on November 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM

So show us the links to the filed sexual harassment charges….

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Show me the post … I’ve tried to be specific in saying that a COMPLAINT was filed against him – and I, do believe, that Cain has even admitted that two complaints were filed against him – which were investigated by NRA.

I don’t think I ever said “charges” – if I did – I meant “complaint”. I never for one second thought that actual CRIMINAL CHARGES were filed against Cain. No idiot would believe that – since, if there were – it would be a matter of public record and that’s what you Cainlusionals have been complaining about – that there’s no official documentation here.

Then when a woman wants to come forward to tell her side of the story to give you some clarification and facts – you want to keep her silenced.

Good job.

But – are you willing to now admit you were wrong and that NO ONE will go to JAIL for talking about this?

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM

The picture seems clear. Romney had this information all along and has been waiting for a good time to use it. It may be that this other witness is from Perry’s camp, but everything else points to Romney as the actual source of the sexual harassment allegations.
Lawdawg86 on November 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Lay off the bong.

haner on November 2, 2011 at 2:18 PM

On the contrary, I found it to be very plausible.

Which is not to say proven.

I have reason to suspect Romney is behind it, but no reason for more than suspicion.

didymus on November 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Stay classy.
HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM

same to u. she’ll deserve every name people want to throw her way if she renigs on her signed agreement after 15 years and talks for money…and that will be the only reason she does…inappropriate behavior my arse.

gracie on November 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM

petefrt on November 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Which means that if there’s “no takers” in the next 48 hours, you can speculate/bank that there’s NO STORY. Or a pathetically weak one.

Rovin on November 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I don’t care who you were talking about – those attorney’s can talk all they want.

They will never go to jail for it.

Cite me the statute.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Herman Cain’s candidacy is so much fun. :-) Everyday is a new day full of surprises, mystery sources, accusers, and gaffe-tastic misstatements.

Punchenko on November 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM

This really is the sickness of the Herman Cainlusionalism Cult.

Stay classy.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Dear, you, JohnGalt23, and a host of others are perfectly willing to believe that Cain is a drunk and a harasser. WITH NO FACTS.

katy the mean old lady on November 2, 2011 at 3:44 PM

JohnTant on November 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Besides the candidate’s opposition research on each other, who would expect to benefit by leaking this information? The people originally involved. I already noted the probable motivation.

Remember when Scooter Libby was accused of outing a CIA agent….turns out the person who outed her was working for Colin Powell – Richard Armitage. This is going to be one of those how many knew about the suit, and who leaked the info first. The first finger prints:) There is no reason for Mr Cain, to believe it wasn’t going to be made public, and Politico even gave him the heads up, and 10 days. It may end up being much a do about nothing – a frivolous suit.

Dr Evil on November 2, 2011 at 3:44 PM

katy the mean old lady on November 2, 2011 at 3:44 PM

How many times do I have to tell you that I don’t know if this is true or not?

I want more facts – you don’t. You want to bury this story but – it’s not going to work dear.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM

katy the mean old lady on November 2, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Just roll with it. It will make it all the more entertaining if Cain becomes the nominee.

cozmo on November 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM

First the Herman Cain campaign melts down …

Now his HotAir supporters.

Jeesh.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Rovin on November 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Bingo!

petefrt on November 2, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Herman was done after he displayed an appalling lack of knowledge about foreign policy issues some months back.
….
Bizarro No. 1 on November 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM

In a stronger field of candidates, this would have been true. With the current field of candidates, he may yet be the nominee.

didymus on November 2, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Sorry liberalORomney supporter , but there was NO settlement. this weren’t lawsuits.

It was an agreement for pay of two employees who made claims to bolster their severence pay. THAT is why their is no actual “sexual harrassment” in the “sexual harrassment”

It’s easy to see your liberalism when you declare underhanded attacks are not only fine but commendable

Refusing to give details has nothing to do with protecting sources.
Not giving names protects sources, not giving details protect the fact you don’t have a story.

Romney is alot of things….liberal, dishonest , transparently fake. (if you can’t see his fakeness than their is something wrong with you)
What he isn’t— a leader, a man with effective ideas, a man that can run against Obamacare while defending ORomneycare, a man that gives good answers to questions…

Romney is not going to be the nominee.

Get used to saying President Cain with some respect in your tone

LeeSeneca on November 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Yeah, I’ve seen that also. There is some deluded person here that keeps claiming they know for a fact that Romney got where he is because his dad influenced every event in his life through power and connections.

csdeven on November 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM

All I can say is that if Cain did something, he better own up to it NOW.

The very last thing we need is an October surprise.

That goes for all the candidates. Better fess us now, cause we’re gonna find out about all those “little” matters one way or another.

stenwin77 on November 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM

provide your cite showing how and where anyone, lawyer, plaintif, defendant can do jail time for any release of any info. what criminal statute?? even the lawyers would only get civil penalties. this isnt criminal you dumba$$

chasdal on November 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Show me the post …
HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Look – he got two sexual harassment charges filed against him. Matters not that the liberal media is out to get him because the allegation that he had these complaints filed is … TRUE.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I don’t know where you got “talking” from, I was specifically, and it is in the posts, talking about attorney/client privilege, breaking that is a serious offense, it can lead to prison if not rectified, and certainly loss of license…as I stated, (since most all major law firms, only para-legals and attorneys handle these kind of “contracts” or agreements) it isn’t that easy to obtain specific information.
You would be shocked at the security of some of these law firms…I demand from mine a written statement of the security procedures that are in place, and they keep me updated.

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Either way, ….. sources linked to Romney, Obama or Perry. , or all three , it will all end the same way BECAUSE of Cain’s response.

All the opponents, and their media end up seeming more corrupt , more underhanded, more of what the entire nation is sick of…..Obama/Rove/GOP/DNC politics

LeeSeneca on November 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Some are saying that this indicates Romney as the source of the leak, but I’m not terribly convinced that a one-time donation means much. Romney has less to fear with Cain as his main opponent than others in the race, and besides, no one knows whether Anderson ever knew about the incidents at all. Other board members say they didn’t. YMMV, however.

Bingo.

Buy Danish on November 2, 2011 at 2:35 PM

The problem with that argument is that Romney could have just as much to gain by making it look like Perry is behind the smear as by smearing Cain in the first place.

Take out the front runner in the polls and the one with the most money support in the race all at once.

didymus on November 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM

csdeven on November 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Not every event … I don’t think Romney’s dad influenced him to pick up a gun and go “huntin’” for “small varmints” once or twice! :P

Then again – I don’t think that ever happened.

Was Mitt Romney’s high draft number a coincidence? Or the result of his Dad’s political influence? I think if you look back a the Vietnam war and you look at lot of the sons of politically influential people – you see a lot of them drawing high draft lottery numbers too.

So yeah – I think Romney’s dad was responsible for getting Mitt a high lottery number.

But it could have all be negated if Mitt Romney had just been a patriot and VOLUNTEERED to serve in Vietnam.

He didn’t.

Hmmmm.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Rovin on November 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Bingo!
petefrt on November 2, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Thus far it’s been all “Geraldo and Al Capone’s vault” time.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 3:54 PM

First the Herman Cain campaign melts down …

Now his HotAir supporters.

Jeesh.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Seen it before and Cain’s campaign has not gone into meltdown yet…..

Here are two examples that you can use to determine if Cain has a melt down.

1) Palin
2) Perry

csdeven on November 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 3:52 PM

You can be disbarred for that. That’s not going to jail though.

And … this didn’t involve a criminal case (as you said).

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Provide the proof.

csdeven on November 2, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Seen it before and Cain’s campaign has not gone into meltdown yet…..

Here are two examples that you can use to determine if Cain has a melt down.

1) Palin
2) Perry

csdeven on November 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

No meltdown in Camp Cain? Then how come none of them want to let these women talk?

How come Cain is throwing the race card like a Blackjack dealer in Las Vegas?

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I donated to Mr. Cain. Watched him on Fox last night. He did fine with this situation. Then he said he would station Aegis cruisers in the Gulf to deter Iran. I’m retired military with three tours on senior staffs in the Pentagon. This is frightening.

crash72 on November 2, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Provide the proof.

csdeven on November 2, 2011 at 3:56 PM

The proof is the high lottery number.

Guy got deferred … like what? Three student deferments and then a Mormon missionary deferment? Then he draws a high lottery number?

Sure … heh – I guess that happens … in some universe somewhere.

People also get struck by lightning.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:58 PM

(AP) — Third former employee complains of workplace sexual behavior by GOP candidate Herman Cain.

Nothing to see here. Move along….move along

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 3:58 PM

This is frightening.

crash72 on November 2, 2011 at 3:57 PM

What, Cain’s statements regarding placing Aegis cruisers in the Persian Gulf?

Punchenko on November 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM

chasdal on November 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Sigh…..

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM

“Geraldo and Al Capone’s vault” time.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Heh, that about sums it up, as I suspect anyway.

But I’m keeping soap handy, in the event of egg on face.

petefrt on November 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM

The proof is the high lottery number.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:58 PM

That isn’t proof. That is wild speculation fueled by your delusion you are feeding with ignorance.

csdeven on November 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM

crash72 on November 2, 2011 at 3:57 PM

What’s frightening?

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM

csdeven on November 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Not proof but it’s not wild speculation either. ;)

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM

csdeven on November 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM

And there is a poster who claims that his dad never helped him at all…maybe it is something in between, where a father actually helps a son?
Nawwww, that couldn’t be.

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Bingo.
Buy Danish on November 2, 2011 at 2:35 PM

didymus on November 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I think if Romney were such an evil genius as to manage such a convoluted twisting theory, then he should be President! But with the culprit who’s the topic of this blog entry being a Perry-fan, I’m not sure there’s much of a need for pretzelized plots.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM

First the Herman Cain campaign melts down …

Now his HotAir supporters.

Jeesh.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Herman Cain’s HA supporters are rattled. You are melting down. Buck up, chump.

MeatHeadinCA on November 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM

What, Cain’s statements regarding placing Aegis cruisers in the Persian Gulf?

Punchenko on November 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM

We already have Aegis cruisers in the gulf – anti-ballistic missile capable ones too – I used to be on one. Spent over a year in the Persian Gulf on it.

I don’t know why he keeps harping on the Aegis cruisers – maybe it’s the only thing he knows. Obama gave up the missle sites in Poland specifically in favor of the Aegis cruisers sooo … I don’t know – Cain’s just endorsing the current policy.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Third complaint about cain, just crossed the AP. Expect the next hotair thread about this in three…two…

nswider on November 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Nothing to see here. Move along….move along

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 3:58 PM

This is pretty common occurrance of people following what’s in the news cycle. It could be nothing more than someone seeing an opportunity for a pay day, and 15 minutes. This 3rd person didn’t show up, and make the claim until it was already a story in the news.

Dr Evil on November 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM

How many times do I have to tell you that I don’t know if this is true or not?

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Yeah, not sure why Cain supporters are opposed to facts and truth. The more they try to sweep this under the rug, the more I question why.

NoStoppingUs on November 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 3:58 PM

You’re kidding, right? Nothing in Google. Linky, please.

petefrt on November 2, 2011 at 4:04 PM

For more than a decade, WPA Opinion Research (formerly Wilson Research Strategies) has helped elect Senators, Congressmen, and other
leaders;
helped not-for-profit organizations grow donor support;
and helped companies weather crises, enter new markets,
and thrive in current ones.

Yeah, I’ll say.

balkanmom on November 2, 2011 at 4:05 PM

nswider on November 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Cain’s campaign had no comment? That’s not good.

Dr Evil on November 2, 2011 at 4:05 PM

You’re kidding, right? Nothing in Google. Linky, please.

petefrt on November 2, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Wish I was:

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 4:05 PM

How many times do I have to tell you that I don’t know if this is true or not?

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Funny, I keep asking for facts, links. How do I have the power to bury a story? Quit talking through your azz.

katy the mean old lady on November 2, 2011 at 4:06 PM

crash72 on November 2, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Wouldn’t that be Ticonderoga class cruisers equipped with the Aegis weapon system?

csdeven on November 2, 2011 at 4:06 PM

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 4:02 PM

That’s how I see it. Dr. K was right that the Aegis cruisers will not deter Iran from developing nuclear weapons. It would be nice if Herman could articulate a real strategy in dealing with Iran — not that it will matter, of course, per Drudge’s headlines concerning Israel. Looks like they will eventually step up to the plate and take the sites out themselves.

Punchenko on November 2, 2011 at 4:07 PM

You can be disbarred for that. That’s not going to jail though.

And … this didn’t involve a criminal case (as you said).

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

If it is not “remedied”, the judge will re-open the case and jail time comes…
So, and this is just an “if”, the judge finds privilege was broken, and a fine of several thousand dollars awarded to the offending party, and the attorney (probably disbarred at this time) doesn’t pay…he/she will go to jail.
Normally this happens when they (attorneys) misappropriate funds…

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Dr Evil on November 2, 2011 at 4:05 PM

It could just mean they dont want to give any more life to this story, but yeah, this is not good. How soon does three become, four, five, six. True, fair or falsehood it almost doesnt matter if this continues to trickle out like this and become the narrative.

nswider on November 2, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on November 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM

He’s bungled it according to any objective standard.

I’m less interested in the alleged verbal sexual impropriety (which I assume falls within the shadow realm of “inappropriate” and its various emotional interpretations) than in the fundamental executive competency and political adroitness of crisis management. Cain has shown very little of either, or even much ability to learn from error. Does he have decent advisors, or how does he relate to them and they to him?

Failure to gather and familiarize himself with facts before talking.
Offering vague and scumbled statements
No proactive problem-solving crisis management — all defensive.
Speculating about racial motives of democrats rather than citing history of double-standard

Poor executive and political performance all around.

I agree with Larry Elder and others who also point out the political failure in his mishandling of the race issue, when in he’s had golden opportunities at Fox News and in other interviews to expose the double-standards and racial exploitations of democrats and leftists.

I hope he not only survives but prospers and kicks in the teeth of Politico and his accusers, if they are indeed acting in bad faith. But what are the indications?

rrpjr on November 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM

With no proof, it is wild speculation.

csdeven on November 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Thanks.

petefrt on November 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM

katy the mean old lady on November 2, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Tell me what links you want – and I’ll provide them.

Facts as I know them …

1. Herman Cain accused of sexual harrassment by two women.

2. A third man gives his name and says he witnessed at least one incident of Cain’s harrassment.

3. Cain agrees with #1 above … no comment on #2.

4. I want the women to be able to talk.

5. You don’t.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM

katy the mean old lady on November 2, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Keep asking for facts. It makes the trolls go *poof*

MeatHeadinCA on November 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM

With no proof, it is wild speculation.

csdeven on November 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Really – so God is wild speculation?

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 4:09 PM

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 3:58 PM

ZOMG!!!!!!!

Who on Earth could have seen this one coming???!!

I wonder… is she and apple, or an orange…

JohnGalt23 on November 2, 2011 at 4:09 PM

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Now show us the links that show the charges, sexual harassment filed cases are on record, so you should have them, in fact every news organization should have them…

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 4:10 PM

NoStoppingUs on November 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM

I know what ya mean – I’m waiting for more on the Rick Perry being gay stories. Can’t sweep it under the rug, y’know. Maybe under the rug in the closet, but even then…..

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 4:10 PM

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Look at what I said – first I said charges in that paragraph – then the next sentence I said “complaint”.

Are you saying he had no complaint filed against him?

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Nawwww, that couldn’t be.

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM

I am talking about that person who claims manipulation of the system to help his relative. Those claims require proof.

csdeven on November 2, 2011 at 4:10 PM

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Being gay would HELP Rick Perry in the polls.

Herman Cain with his hands in girls panties? Not so much.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM

How soon does three become, four, five, six.

nswider on November 2, 2011 at 4:07 PM

How many might there be? How many lefty activist former NRA employees from that period are there.

petefrt on November 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Hmm… Neil Cavuto just brought up the third accuser. The Cain Train is a fiery mess screaming down the tracks. I mourn for its passengers. :-(

Punchenko on November 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Look man – I incorrectly substituted the word “charges” for “complaint” … then in the very next sentence I say “complaint”.

So quit parsing words here. You know what I meant – and you look like a fool hanging on ONE word that I wrote improperly – when I perfectly explained what I meant in the very next sentence.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Keep asking for facts. It makes the trolls go *poof*

MeatHeadinCA on November 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Well so far Honda tries to defend, but so far has shown to be far from correct on any given subject today…just a tough day.
But give him/her credit, it won’t back down and ever apologize for making a wrong statement, even when it challenges you and you post a absolute proof, as I did, he/she still won’t bend.

Show me the post …
HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

oooops, doggone internet, it keeps everything….

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Really – so God is wild speculation?

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Seriously? With books of scriptures and hundreds if not thousands of eye witnesses and you want to compare it to a single event with no eye witnesses or anyone ready to go on record? The belief in God requires faith.

What you are doing is called wild speculation.

csdeven on November 2, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Facts as I know them …

1. Herman Cain accused of sexual harrassment by two women.

3. Cain agrees with #1 above … no comment on #2.

4. I want the women to be able to talk.

5. You don’t.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM

1. Even Politico changed the headline on that.
2. So what?
3. No
4. Now they don’t seem to want to.
5. Where did I say that?

katy the mean old lady on November 2, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Who on Earth could have seen this one coming???!!

I wonder… is she and apple, or an orange…

JohnGalt23 on November 2, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Cain saw it coming. He said there would be more.

But he’s totally innocent and whoever brought this up will pay dearly. ///

capitalist piglet on November 2, 2011 at 4:14 PM

petefrt on November 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Thats the question. Once the flood gates open, its open season. If he looked at a girl in passing shes going to be on 20/20 claiming sexual harassment. He needs this story to go away, quickly, and so far its not its escalating.

nswider on November 2, 2011 at 4:14 PM

How many lefty activist former NRA employees from that period are there.

petefrt on November 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Yes, the Obama campaign planted lefty activist within the NRA to ruin Herman Cain by getting him liquored up and randy ! Of course, it all makes sense now!

Pete, how would you like to join the FBI? We could use a good sleuth like you. :-)

Punchenko on November 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 4:07 PM

your just a friggin idiot and that post proves it. you go from jail time for breaking attorney client privilege to jail time for misappropriation of funds. stop digging. you screwed up on this one and you are flat out wrong!! provide a link to any criminal statute that would send a lawyer to jail for breaking an NDA or just STFU about it.

chasdal on November 2, 2011 at 4:16 PM

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Being gay would HELP Rick Perry in the polls.
HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM

True – if Rick Perry’s gayness snagged 100% support of all other gays, his poll numbers would rise to near double digits.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 4:16 PM

oooops, doggone internet, it keeps everything….

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Yes it does – like when you said people would go to jail if they talked about this.

funny you.