Uh oh: Witness found to Cain incidents?

posted at 1:25 pm on November 2, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

So far, neither of the two alleged complainants from Herman Cain’s tenure at the National Restaurant Association have come forward publicly, although it appears at least one would like NRA to release her from her confidentiality agreement to do so.  However, a pollster who worked for NRA at the time told KTOK in Oklahoma that he witnessed both incidents — and that if the women talk, Cain’s candidacy would be over:

Interviewed today on KTOK’s Mullins in the Morning, [Chris] Wilson, of Wilson-Perkins-Allen Opinion Research headquartered in Washington, D.C. explained he was a witness to the incident.  “I was the pollster at the National Restaurant Association when Herman Cain was head of it and I was around a couple of times when this happened and anyone who was involved with the NRA at the time, knew that this was gonna come up.”

Wilson described the woman as a low level staffer who was maybe two years out of college.  “This occurred at a restaurant in Crystal City (Virginia) and everybody was aware of it,” he continued.  “It was only a matter of time because so many people were aware of what took place, so many people were aware of her situation, the fact she left—everybody knew with the campaign that this would eventually come up.”

Wilson claims that he also can’t discuss the specifics, for legal reasons.  I’m not quite clear as to what that might be.  He may have signed a broad non-disclosure agreement with NRA to get the polling work, but if that’s the case, he just violated it with this statement today.  Unless he also participated in the settlement/severance agreements with the women, he’s as free to discuss the details as the fact that he witnessed them.  And it’s difficult to see how Wilson would have been involved in a settlement between NRA and the two employees.

However, Wilson isn’t only linked to NRA and Cain from years gone by.  His firm has conducted polling in this presidential race for the Make Us Great Again PAC.  And guess which candidate is favored by MUGA-PAC?  Why, none other than … Rick Perry.  The PAC has no formal connection to Perry’s campaign, but it’s certainly boosting Perry as the Republican nominee in the primary.

Could Wilson be more than just a witness in this story?  Could he be a source?  It could just be a coincidence that a witness to these alleged incidents did work for an organization pushing Perry, and that the story mysteriously got to Politico as Cain took support away from Perry in mid-October.  If he is the source, then conducting an interview on the topic has to be one of the dumber political moves I’ve seen.

Update: Some are saying that this indicates Romney as the source of the leak, but I’m not terribly convinced that a one-time donation means much.  Romney has less to fear with Cain as his main opponent than others in the race, and besides, no one knows whether Anderson ever knew about the incidents at all.  Other board members say they didn’t.  YMMV, however.

Update II: There have been plenty of developments that we have covered in other posts, but this development should be noted here:

Wilson emails THE WEEKLY STANDRD: “To be clear, and you can ask any of the reporters covering this story, I had nothing to do with leaking this in any way, and I’ve never discussed or shared this story with any of my clients – period.”

I’m pretty sure Politico won’t confirm or deny on any speculation on sources, but Wilson’s denial should be noted on this post.  However, John McCormack notes that Wilson has another indirect connection to the Perry campaign:

But pollster Tony Fabrizio, who was Wilson’s boss at Fabrizio, McLaughlin & Associates at the time of the alleged incidents, was hired by the Perry campaign in October.

Although Wilson claims that “anyone who was involved with the NRA at the time knew that this [incident with Cain] was gonna come up,” Fabrizio says he didn’t now that Cain was accused of sexual harassment.

“Our firm worked for the NRA prior to Herman Cain’s ascendancy there, during his presidency, and even for a little bit after that,” Fabrizio tells THE WEEKLY STANDARD. “But I was never witness to any of what Chris is saying, or at least what I’ve read as the account of what he’s saying.”

But did Wilson ever tell his boss about any of these incidents or allegations? “No, not that I recall, no,” says Fabrizio.

We’ll see.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

I hope Mitt is preparing thank you cards for Cain, Perry and Bachmann — they have been so very helpful….

Bradky on November 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Stop the Primaries-I wanna get off!
Bobby Jindal-Pick. Up. The. Red. Phone.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

The plot thickens… as it has a tendency to do with Mr. Cain…

JohnGalt23 on November 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

She made $35,000/year two years out of college?

MayBee on November 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

OMG, things are getting good here aren’t they? We do need to get to the bottom of this to find out who is not all that truthful!
L

letget on November 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Bad Rick Perry.

hanzblinx on November 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Multiple incidents, apparently…

JohnGalt23 on November 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

“Wilson claims that he also can’t discuss the specifics, for legal reasons.”

How convenient…

Seven Percent Solution on November 2, 2011 at 1:32 PM

She made $35,000/year two years out of college?

MayBee on November 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Working professionally in politics, that’s very believable.

Although, boy in DC… that’s a tough nut to make.

JohnGalt23 on November 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Another story just came out that Mitt is the source of the story: http://northernvirginialawyer.blogspot.com/2011/11/former-president-of-national-restaurant.html

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I understand that a lobby group would have a pollster on-staff, but is he really going to all the Christmas parties and such? Or maybe he just hung around Herman Cain all day?

This doesn’t pass the giggle test. The only people who have relevant information about the incidents are Cain, who says he’s innocent, the women, who say he’s guilty, and the restaurant association’s independent investigators, who don’t seem to have rendered judgment on the merits of the accusations.

KingGold on November 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I really have a difficult time getting worked up over this.

darwin on November 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Wilson served as Executive Director of the Republican Party of Texas when President George W. Bush was governor, working directly for Karl Rove, and following Karen Hughes when she left the Party to join the campaign.

outerwear on November 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I’ll wait for more, the innuendo crap is getting old.

Bishop on November 2, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Worked for Rove, I understand, too
And there’s a ROMNEY connection as well..

lol

HMMMMMMMMMMMM!

golfmann on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Could Wilson be more than just a witness in this story? Could he be a source? If he is the source, then conducting an interview on the topic has to be one of the dumber political moves I’ve seen.

There is no evidence for that and dropping that little speculative bomb at the end is irresponsible and insulting to readers.

DaveS on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

The PAC has no connection to Rick Perry and Rick Perry doesn’t employee him.

Hmmmmm

gophergirl on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

and that if the women talk, Cain’s candidacy would be over

Then what happened if so many people knew, if it was soooooo bad? Grrrrr? Again, I’m not a Cain guy, but this story just smells.

Oil Can on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Deep in the heart of Texas in a smoke filled room….

Rick Perry takes a shot of garadasil and postures “We need to find some dirt on Cain… he is cleaning our clock”

Advisor “I don’t know guv… hadn’t seen much but let me text a bud”

Advisor: “Guv? Still with us? Snap out of the stupor — I’ve found the answer.”

Rick: “Huh, what? Oh sorry… zoned out. What have you got?”

Advisor “Guy named Wilson says he can deliver a harassment on Cain”

Rick: “Outfreakin standing! Roll it. We need a miracle…”

Bradky on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

There’s a wikipedia page for a Chris Wilson that sounds like it’s this guy.

It’s wikipedia, so who knows if it’s accurate.

zmdavid on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I smell BS. This is the exact same MO as the Rubio hit piece. Rubio is just a much better politician and Cain has so far blundered the response to this story.

We will see, but a guy that talks about the story but won’t give any details other than “oh it’s gonna take out his campaign if I told you”, then claims that he can’t tell details because of “legal reasons” isn’t credible to me.

Mord on November 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

A main stream propaganda machine souffle!

ColdWarrior57 on November 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

But won’t actually TALK about the incidents. Follow the money, folks.

michaelo on November 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Better to hash this out now before hes the nominee.

nswider on November 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I really have a difficult time getting worked up over this.

darwin on November 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

That’s okay. Galty is worked up enough for the rest of us.

Jim Treacher on November 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Could he be a source? It could just be a coincidence that a witness to these alleged incidents did work for an organization pushing Perry, and that the story mysteriously got to Politico as Cain took support away from Perry in mid-October. If he is the source, then conducting an interview on the topic has to be one of the dumber political moves I’ve seen.

Heh… so he just invented the “gonzo” leaker?

Skywise on November 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

gophergirl on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

The Cainiacs would just love to pin this garbage on Perry.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Wilson claims that he also can’t discuss the specifics, for legal reasons.

Not eager to face a slander/libel lawsuit perhaps?

John Deaux on November 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I really have a difficult time getting worked up over this.

darwin on November 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Is a good thing our economy is in such great shape, we’ve had tax and entitlement reform and there are no bad guys around the world.

rbj on November 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

No one finds it strange that this person was witness to both both incidents? Wow. I mean wow! What are the odds of that? Come on!

crazywater on November 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Take a look at the wall of the Facebook page for Wilson Perkins Allen Research (Chris Wilson’s firm) and you’ll find links to negative stories about Cain, Romney, and Bachmann. There are many links to stories about Perry as well, all of them positive, as far back as I’ve looked.

Michael Bates on November 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

zmdavid on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

My son and i refer to Wiki as ‘Lies-ipedia’.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

please….Mike Pence or Bobby Jindal pick up the phone?

Sarah??? ANYONE??????? (But Rino Romney)

SDarchitect on November 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Not only that, but Cain and I had an inappropriate relationship.
-Will Folks.

Seriously though, his campaign and he blew this badly. If there’s nothing to it, then a simple, clear “I can’t go into details, but I was falsely accused of sexual harrasment and under my lawyer’s advice my company settled. BTW, how’s that whole Fast and Furious investigation coming along NBC/CBS/ABCetera, etc.”

If he DID commit sexual harrassment, better he came out at first and said something like, “yes, my behavior was inexcusable, but that was 12 years ago, I’ve learned my lesson and have obviously not had a single incidence since, and I just want to do my part to help fix Americacetera etc.”

He and his campaign is commiting suicide by duck nibbles.

DrAllecon on November 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I don’t get this! If someone accused me of something I did not do, I would be BEGGING them to come out and show the evidence. Mr Cain acts as if all is well, but now we have “sources” saying they could end his campaign! Dare them! Mr Cain should say “Bring it ON!” Force their hand! Why is this so complicated? Someone make me smart!

WhatsRight on November 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Mord on November 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Bull. Rubio’s response wasn’t stellar either, pal, and he’s had a few astounding recollections himself. The key difference is that Cain’s been in the hot seat for three days now under constant fire.

In the 24-hour news cycle, three days of constant coverage is brutal.

KingGold on November 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

gophergirl on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

The Cainiacs would just love to pin this garbage on Perry.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

This is pissing me off. I got my head bit off for saying IF the charges were true against Cain things were going to get interesting.

People are leveling all sorts of charges against Perry/Romney etc with zero proof and don’t care if it’s true or not.

gophergirl on November 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Looks worse for Perry than it does for Cain, EVEN IF the allegations were once true of Cain.

Bye bye Mr. Perry. Enjoy golfing with Mr. Trump, Sir.

bridgetown on November 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious.

joey24007 on November 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Oil Can on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

If it was soooo bad, the setttlement would have been sooooomuch more than $35,000

katy the mean old lady on November 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

SDarchitect on November 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I’m with you on Jindal and Pence.
They were my first choices.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Ed really needs to read HA a bit more. He’s late to the party; we’ve already covered this “witness” and his ties to Perry in the “Perry: I was just having a good time in New Hampshire” comments.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

please….Mike Pence or Bobby Jindal pick up the phone?

Sarah??? ANYONE??????? (But Rino Romney)

SDarchitect on November 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Deadlines have passed.

El_Terrible on November 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Aaaaaand the winner after of all this is idiocy is…Barack Obama.

Good Lt on November 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Da Lench Mob – All On My Nut Sac

Christien on November 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

KingGold on November 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I guarantee some lobbies have pollsters on staff. AARP? NARAL? The other NRA?

It’s quite possible, however, that NRA contracted Wilson’s firm, and he was brought in to talk things over with industry associates from time to time.

I somehow doubt this guy’s job was to shadow Cain in anticipation of his upcoming 2000 presidential run.

JohnGalt23 on November 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Bottom line is that there are Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many idiots on this planet.

bridgetown on November 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

We’ve had “what if Bush did it” for three years.

This is the first example of “what if Obama did it.”

Red Cloud on November 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Keep dreaming, hes not that stupid. The story is baseless, the only connection is he contributed to Romney, the end. For the record I dont think Perry did it either, but the tie between this Wilson guy is much closer then a contributor.

nswider on November 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

And you were wrong. You were calling him Perry’s paid employee. Ed proves up top that he is not.

gophergirl on November 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Chris Wilson also blogs at Redstate.

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Bye bye Mr. Perry. Enjoy golfing with Mr. Trump, Sir.
bridgetown on November 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

True. While the allegations may impact Cain, this would finish off Perry.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

JohnGalt23 on November 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Yet you have no problem taking him at his word that he “witnessed” the two incidents himself. Yuh-huh.

KingGold on November 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I witnessed the events in question too but cannot talk about them for legal reasons.

Mike Honcho on November 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

This is all disgusting. Bill O’Reilly must have felt a little funny about interviewing Cain last night about this issue for obvious reasons.

I wonder why this is all so much more interesting than Obama and Vera Baker.

s/

Drained Brain on November 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

gophergirl on November 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

You know as well as I do that Cain has become HA’s new Palin. People are looking for a conservative savior.
Cain’s another good conservative who doesn’t belong in the WH.
Before people scream Perry cultist @ me-I’ve said repeatedly that I think Perry is a poor candidate-who’s the best of a week field.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Rush has just read portions of the Political article WHICH HAD BEEN DELETED, re: the woman’s lawyer.
I’m sure the transcript will be available on his website.
Paraphrasing, it reports that the woman’s lawyer has no records of the suit, nor of the agreement, and hadn’t even known the name of the accused.

Popcorn. Must. Get. More.

pambi on November 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

KingGold on November 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

By all means, let’s sweep this under the run now so that it explodes after we have chosen a nominee.

DaveS on November 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Bye bye Mr. Perry. Enjoy golfing with Mr. Trump, Sir.

bridgetown on November 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Yeps. Who cares if Cain possibly harassed two women on multiple occasions. That ain’t the story. The story is that someone possibly linked to Perry may have possibly leaked the event to Politico.

El_Terrible on November 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Cainlusionals: “We can’t trust the Politico story because it’s all anonymous sourcing.”

Cainlusionals: “We can’t trust this man who’s come forward with his name and address, and is willing to put his reputation on the line that he saw St. Herman harrass someone – he’s a scumbag!”

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Mike Honcho on November 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Yes… I also “witnessed” some incidents back in the early 1990′s.

Hurry up with the payment Rick Perry.

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I don’t dislike Cain, but SETTLEMENTS aren’t given out for nothing…it’s hush money for things folks don’t like talked about…

Ltlgeneral64 on November 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I really have a difficult time getting worked up over this.

darwin on November 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Yup, and I cant imagine the average person is bent out of shape over this at all. This is a waste of time and a great distraction for the left. Thanks all for playing!

Alinsky on November 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Update: Some are saying that this indicates Romney as the source of the leak, but I’m not terribly convinced that a one-time donation means much. Romney has less to fear with Cain as his main opponent than others in the race, and besides, no one knows whether Anderson ever knew about the incidents at all. Other board members say they didn’t. YMMV, however.

Except that some Washington Post analysis shows that if Cain is out, Mitt finally breaks 30%. If Perry can’t recover and Cain is out, Romney has nothing to fear Ed.

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Chris Wilson also blogs at Redstate.

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM

You mean Rick Perry Central? Has he shown up over at Ace’s yet?

Knucklehead on November 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

The shoe would certainly fit. Cain insists on wearing that stupid pimp daddy, Al Capone style hat everywhere. Don’t be blaming the other candidates. If the information is there, let it come out. There seems to be an awful lot of effort to keep the information under wraps, so what are they afraid of. Oh yeah! It’s probably true. Now if we couple that with the fact that Cain thinks China is a military threat, that’ll make for a well-rounded President, don’t you think?

stacman on November 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

This is very hard to believe. Politico comes up with a hit piece protecting the “victims” anonymity, with quotes from board members saying they never heard, suspected or imagined Cain as doing anything like this, yet “everybody was aware of it”. Really?
This clown Wilson worked as Director of the Texas Republican Party under Karl Rove while Dubya was governor. Hmmmmmmm… maybe this was all to hurt Cain AND Perry?

cartooner on November 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

KingGold on November 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Hmmm … why do you believe Cain over this guy? You know Cain personally?

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

So, the NRA said there was nothing to it after their investigation, but yet there are alleged witnesses?

Something doesn’t add up.

ButterflyDragon on November 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Has there ever been a “scandal” before, where voters were not allowed to find out what the “scandal” was about, and if they did find out, they would have to be taken out back and shot?

MNHawk on November 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Ed, your spin on this story has been really pathetic.

You’re clearly doing everything you can to defend Herbie. Who gives a shyte who the leaker is? It’s been widely whispered for a long time that these charges were out there. The media just had to do their jobs and do some digging.

The fact is, Cain clearly was involved in improper behavior and he is digging himself into a deeper hole with his denials and ever-changing stories.

Here is not an “honest, upstanding man”. He’s a slimeball politician, like so many others.

Clintonesque, indeed.

bigred on November 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on November 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I think it’s time for a HA break. When this place ceases to be fun it’s time to step away.

Later my friend :)

gophergirl on November 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Sorry, but still no facts…could be right, could be wrong…but so far, no facts.
Just a bunch of people yaking…

right2bright on November 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Very irresponsible of you Ed, especially for putting it in the title. I’m beyond disappointed, thought you were better than this.

kg598301 on November 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Please wake me up when this is over…or when some important facts are actually out there. Not just speculation.

balkanmom on November 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM

cartooner on November 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Please man – this guy isn’t the end of the story. More’s coming out on a daily basis I just hope the Cainlusionals keep condemning everyone that validates this. At some point – the avalanche knocks them off the mountain and they tumble to the bottom to confront their foolishness.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Ltlgeneral64 on November 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Actually settlements are given out for nothing every day. It’s less expensive to pay nuisance value than to fight for years and hope the trier of fact believes him instead of her. Not saying he is telling the truth, only that the downside risk is big enough that these cases routinely settle even when the underlying allegations are bogus.

Ted Torgerson on November 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM

You were calling him Perry’s paid employee. Ed proves up top that he is not.
gophergirl on November 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I’d be happy if you could show me where I’ve said that – but since I haven’t, you can’t. And, in fact, I would agree it is more likely Wilson is making this hit due his support for Perry.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM

yepper

cmsinaz on November 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM

If this info was given to Politico over a month ago, Perry would have just gotten in and would have been booming in the polls. Cain wouldn’t have been a threat yet to Perry and his oppo research would have just gotten underway. Why isn’t it more likely that Romney, who has been running for half a decade now, wouldn’t be the source of this?

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM

DaveS on November 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Who’s sweeping this under a rug? The story’s well and truly out there now. But misery loves company, and whatever campaign pulled this dirty trick’s going to pay. Dearly.

KingGold on November 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

don’t blame rick perry for this boneheaded move…

cmsinaz on November 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Mike Honcho on November 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Ha! Thread winner.

nswider on November 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I’m with you on Jindal and Pence.
They were my first choices.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Pence was first choice. :-( Alas, what might have been.

TxAnn56 on November 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

KingGold on November 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Wrong – if Perry did it – he won’t pay. Perry is polling 8 percent.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM

especially for putting it in the title.

Wow, that was quick. Apparently on second thought you also realized it was the wrong thing to do.

kg598301 on November 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM

it would be like accusing rumsfeld for abhu graib (sp)

don’t go there unless you have proof

cmsinaz on November 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Bottom line is that there are Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many idiots on this planet.

bridgetown on November 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Indeed, many on the right, and many right here.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Hmmm … why do you believe Cain over this guy? You know Cain personally?

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Don’t know Cain, but don’t know this guy either. He throws a bunch of dirt and then claims he can’t talk about it? Really? Did he sign a non disclosure? Why?

katy the mean old lady on November 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Wilson claims that he also can’t discuss the specifics, for legal reasons.

Wilson’s legal restraints to talking about the specifics of the Cain sexual harrassment might have nothing to do with nondisclosure issues related to the Cain harrassment settlements and everything to do with the wishes of his current employers. The reputation of a given polling firm depends on its perceived objectivity and professionalism. Involvement in a high-profile deal like this could cause irreparable damage.

By speaking out at all, Wilson fingered Perry as the triggerman because of Wilson’s firm’s tangential relationship to the Perry campaign. I personally think that’s intentional misdirection, and if so, one subtle piece of work. Whoever engineered this has managed to simultaneously damage two top-tier GOP primary candidates with one operation. Whoever did it deserves the Machiavelli Prize for Social Engineering.

troyriser_gopftw on November 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Looks like the PerryKrisnas are hoping for a comeback…

Good luck with that…LOL

idesign on November 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Meanwhile, Rush was reading from yesterday’s Washington Post (now edited out) that the accusers lawyer, Joel Bennett, doesn’t have the case file anymore, and didn’t remember 1) the executive’s name (that would be Cain) and 2) attending any actual meeting for settlement. Apparently it wasn’t significant enough to warrant an actual meeting.

Meanwhile 2, you gotta like how Ed dismissed the potential Romney supporter connection, which I think is very appreciable, and is so quick to pin something on Perry.

Meanwhile 3, the gang at NRO is doing a dung dump on Cain and it turns out that Jonatahn Martin at Politico is actually an ex-National Review guy.

Sometimes you just have to laugh.

DaydreamBeliever on November 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Herman Cain: “Excuse me. EXCUSE ME!!!”

portlandon on November 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I was around a couple of times when Obowma snorted cocaine…

… but I can’t discuss the specifics, for legal reasons.

Seven Percent Solution on November 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Because he isnt a political neophyte and he doesnt panic. This is a panic move by someone and Im telling you that Romney camp is confident bordering on cocky. There is a reason they only do paid ads against Perry, they arent afraid of Cain..at all. Sorry.

nswider on November 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Hmmm … why do you believe Cain over this guy? You know Cain personally?

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Because everyone who’s vouched for Cain – people who know him, people who worked with him but don’t currently support him, have asserted that stuff like this is not in his character.

And I’ll believe a presidential candidate over a professional campaign operative any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

KingGold on November 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Anyone still having difficulty understanding why Palin decided to NOT run for president?

Anyone not seeing that any GOP candidate NOT anointed by the news media as the designated, preferred opposition to Obama is going to be crucified?

Sad, so many who claim to be republicans leap to join the lynch mob in the vain hope that their guy benefits.

This vilification of one GOP candidate is a vilification of us all; Palin, Gingrich, Perry, Reagan, Bush (I & II). Do you really want Obama re-elected?

Skandia Recluse on November 2, 2011 at 1:52 PM

KingGold on November 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

The fact that one of the incidents, whatever it consisted of, is now in the public eye, couled with the fact that this guy has a very plausible reason for being at an event associated witht his trade group… yeah, I’m willing to believe that he did, in fact, witness this incident.

Now, as to whether his charaterization of it is believable… well, I guess I just havd to wait for those directly involved to talk.

Which is going to happen KG… and I really think that you know that.

WHich of course, leads to a question: Let us assume that Chris Wilson is a rational actor. He is in GOP political business. He knows, being rational, that ther is at least a chance currently-leading-in-the-polls candidate Cain might in fact be this party’s nominee, or even POTUS.

Is this rational actor really going to take a chance falsely attacking this candidate? My evaluation of the siuation says no.

JohnGalt23 on November 2, 2011 at 1:52 PM