Perry: I was just having a good time in New Hampshire

posted at 12:45 pm on November 2, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Rick Perry offered a response to criticism and speculation of a recent appearance in New Hampshire that he had been “silly” or possibly under the influence of alcohol or medication. National Journal captures his relaxed defense, asking them to check in with Dan Balz of the Washington Post, who had reported on Perry’s “loose and playful” appearance:

Hours after several well-known political pundits commented publicly on his “odd” behavior at a New Hampshire banquet last week, Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry on Tuesday shrugged off the buzz surrounding a video of the event that has gone viral.

“I would always tell people to go back and ask Dan Balz,” Perry told reporters at a campaign stop, referring to a weekend column in which the veteran Washington Post reporter described Perry as “loose, extremely animated, and even playful” when he spoke on Friday to a banquet of conservative activists in Manchester, N.H. “This was a great crowd, good response, and I guess you can do anything you want with a video and make it look any way you want, but it felt good, felt great,” Perry said. “I felt the message got across very well.”

The performance got distinctly different reviews on Tuesday morning at National Journal’s Election Preview. Two veteran political strategists suggested that Perry was under the influence. The Texas governor’s ebullient performance was “not presidential,” said Democratic consultant Steve McMahon, adding, “Perhaps he had been drinking.” Republican Charlie Black, who advised former presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, and George W. Bush, agreed that Perry’s behavior was “odd.” Noting that Perry has had back surgery, Black added: “Maybe it was back medicine that he had too much of.”

How did Balz report it?  There isn’t any indication of a problem in Perry’s demeanor, and reported that the audience didn’t seem to have a problem with it, either:

Perry took the stage at a downtown hotel ballroom in Manchester. He appeared to feel totally at home, more so than in many other settings during the campaign. He was loose and extremely animated, even playful. …

He extolled the virtues of freedom, saying that single word sums up his presidential campaign. He promoted his new economic plan that includes a flat tax with a 20 percent income tax rate for individuals and, with a dramatic flourish, pulled a postcard-size paper from his pocket to illustrate how simple the filing form would be for most taxpayers.

He talked about his upbringing in rural Texas and the values that were instilled in him there. He highlighted his credentials as a strong opponent of abortion. “The bottom line is this, if you want to stop Washington’s many violations of the 10th Amendment, especially when it comes to the most basic principle of protecting life, then we must make President Obama a one-term president. We must!”

The audience gave him a standing ovation.

In fact, Balz wrote that the contrast in styles between Mitt Romney and Perry that day highlighted their style differences, and that New Hampshire voters might keep those in mind, which in the context of the article indicated that Perry would have the better of that contrast.

The Perry speech will probably become a Rohrschach test that indicates whether one supports or opposes him.  I finally watched it today, and my sense is that Perry is trying to reboot himself from an image of a bully in the previous debates to someone whose warmth and humor comes across as primary parts of his personality.  It’s possible to overdo that, certainly, and most people don’t want a comedian for President, which is why “not Presidential” might very well be a fair criticism.  I didn’t see anything that indicated Perry looked drunk or medicated; he had a similar sense of showmanship in 2010 when addressing the Southern Republican Leadership Conference.  There is room for criticism in how much he might overdo the folksiness, but he’s not slurring his words or incoherent in the speech.

Finally, Perry had a word for the media on their pursuit of the story about Cain and alleged improprieties:

“Until things go past allegation to fact, I just try to leave them alone,” Perry said.

From what I see so far, the rest of the Republican field seems similarly inclined — except for Michele Bachmann:

Republican presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann says her party can’t have a nominee with “surprises” in his record, a jab at rival Herman Cain as he defends himself against allegations of sexual harassment.

The congresswoman from Minnesota told a meeting of Baptists in Iowa on Tuesday night that the GOP needs to have a candidate the party can trust.

Standing in the pulpit of a Marshalltown church, she told supporters, in her words, “This is the year when we can’t have any surprises with our candidate.”

She’s competing for the same Tea Party voters as Cain has attracted, so the attack makes some sense — but I doubt this will endear her to fellow conservatives.

Update: I think Allahpundit noted this in an earlier post, but it’s worth repeating:

“I can tell you unequivocally he wasn’t drinking at the event and he hadn’t been drinking prior to the event,” said Kevin Smith, the executive director of Cornerstone Action, the conservative group that hosted the event over the weekend. “I was sitting with him, and I found him to be very engaging with all of the people he was talking with, he was very articulate.”

Smith, who has not endorsed any candidate, said that Perry drank “only water” at the event and that his speech was well-received by the audience. Smith spent much of the time before the speech with Perry, including dining with him at the event’s head table beforehand.

“When I started seeing all of the blog stuff going up on Sunday and the video going viral it caught me by surprise,” said Smith. “He was definitely more animated than we’ve seen him during the campaign but the reports that he was buzzed or whatever never crossed any of our minds.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I was just having a good time

that’s what Cain said too

gatorboy on November 2, 2011 at 12:48 PM

gophergirl on November 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Bachmann, get out of here.

either orr on November 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM

except for Michele Bachmann:

Politically Michelle Bachmann is drowning. And she’ll grab onto anyone and pull them down with her if it means it will keep her around for a few more gasps of air.

portlandon on November 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Rick Santorum took a swipe at Herman Cain on Fox yesterday morning too. I guess they haven’t figured out that this petty crap doesn’t work and American’s are sick of it.

Knucklehead on November 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Ed, you forgot the “unexpectedly”.

Vashta.Nerada on November 2, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Brit Hume said Perry’s appears was good and that he got a standing ovation. Seems clear that if you want to not like Perry, you’ll just keep watching the cut up version and beating Perry up. If you like him, you’ll watch the full version. If you know him, you know he did the same in TX elections. It was effective there. Maybe that doesn’t transfer well to this election.

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 12:55 PM

If only Bachmann had leveraged the candidates into signing pledges against almost everything, this wouldn’t have happened. She’s a holier than thou, nasty piece of work.

a capella on November 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Very true – I hope he shows some of this side of his personality at the next debate.

gophergirl on November 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM

The audience gave him a standing ovation.

This is all that matters. He got his point across to his audience and they gave him a standing ovation. What more can you ask from a speech.

Infact, if this performance was indeed due to “something” than I encourage him to take some before the debates.

LOL…

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 1:00 PM

That’s the real Ricky Ricardo Perry. Texans think he is a goofy poosti-boy.

borntoraisehogs on November 2, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Doesn’t matter what Dan says
-msdnc

cmsinaz on November 2, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Perry leaked the Cain story.

Pollster Chris Wilson said he witnessed harassment by Cain.

Chris Wilson is involved with the Perry campaign and has run numerous Iowa polls for him.

Save a pretzel for the gas jets!

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Michele is exactly right. Imagine my surprise when I discovered she was a loon!

cartooner on November 2, 2011 at 1:03 PM

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:02 PM

The right needs no enemies.
You are within, you despicable opportunists.

May Obama win and destroy you and yours.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2011 at 1:04 PM

that’s what Cain said too

gatorboy on November 2, 2011 at 12:48 PM

lol

Bill C on November 2, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Why is Perry even in NH? He should be in Iowa or SC.

Perry can’t break 6% in NH drunk or not.

haner on November 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Perry’s performance made the night show circuit. Its wishful thinking to think this just reaffirms bias. He looked presidential… again.

Cornerstone is NH super so-con group. of course they will respond well to Perry. Most NHers think he is a goof.

swamp_yankee on November 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Brit Hume said Perry’s appears was good and that he got a standing ovation.

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 12:55 PM

The same Brit Hume who said Perry “threw up all over himself” at one of the debates? I’m sorry, I’m not letting any of these talking heads tell me what I’m supposed to think anymore.

Knucklehead on November 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Then Rick, you continue to go out and have a good time. Because it was the best I’ve seen you this race…

JohnGalt23 on November 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Oh.. what a classy gentleman. Forgive me guys and gals while I experience tingles go up my leg. :)

Compare his response on the media’s invitation to pile on Cain to this:

Cain, the only black Republican in the presidential race, accused Perry of insensitivity when asked about the report on Sunday news programs.

“Since Gov. Perry has been going there for years to hunt, I think that it shows a lack of sensitivity for a long time of not taking that word off of that rock and renaming the place,” he told ABC’s This Week.

“Yes, it was painted over,” he said. “But how long ago was it painted over? So I’m still saying that it is a sign of insensitivity.”

That statement gets me fuming every single time I read it. Now my tingles is gone. /fuming

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Note to Cainiacs: This should have been Herb’s response to the hunting camp instead of going full Sharpton. Perry can come back as Herb continues to show that he is not qualified for POTUS.

Southernblogger on November 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Knucklehead on November 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

It won’t pay for any of the other Republicans to go after Cain because the press is doing it for them. Cain is imploding, your candidate needs to get all the facts out including facilitating the accuser coming forward.

a capella on November 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM

No one likes a cheap shot artist even when they are on your side.

Bill C on November 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

“Perry: I was just having a good time in New Hampshire”

“But in the mornin’ – whoooey dawgees! – whutta head I had! If’n they had only tol’ me syrup ain’t for drink mixin’! Dang!!”

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Knucklehead on November 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Yep, the very same. So if such a critic of Perry is saying his NH speech and reception was good – then it must have been really, really good.

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Clinton plays sax, human.

Obama-can’t-dance with Ellen DeGeneres, human

Any Republican, Cain sings, Perry talks Southern…not fit for office, dumb, inferior…

In the meanwhile the country goes to Hades.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

He was having a good time. He was drunk or on pills.

Right now the GOP field is:
– A former pizza company executive who can’t stick to anything he says for more than a day or so.
– A super rich guy who ran to the left of a Kennedy.
– A “fiscal conservative” who campaigned for Al Gore.
– A guy who says we need to cut a trillion dollars from the federal budget next year.

I can see why the media spends so much time talking about Cain, Perry, and Romney.

popularpeoplesfront on November 2, 2011 at 1:10 PM

“Republican presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann says her party can’t have a nominee with “surprises” in his record…”

Someone should remind Michele that Barack Hussein Obowma is currently sitting in the White House…

Seven Percent Solution on November 2, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Knucklehead on November 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM

How Knucklehead responds to criticism of Herman Cain.

Bill C on November 2, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Perry leaked the Cain story.

Pollster Chris Wilson said he witnessed harassment by Cain.

Save a pretzel for the gas jets!

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:02 PM

This pollster guy sounds a bit sleazy. If “everybody” knew about this, then why have so many of them claiming not to have a clue?
These pollsters work for anybody that will pay them. To say Perry leaked the story with no more evidence than that is slanderous.

cartooner on November 2, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Knucklehead on November 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I seem to recall you enjoying it when Perry was being piled on?

(Grabs more popcorn…)

This is going to be one heck of a primary season.

Tee hee hee™

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Ed,

Isn’t it spelled “Rorschach?” Is every Republican candidate thread now an inkblot test? If so, I see blots of ink…no, wait…yep, just blots of ink.

Christien on November 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Riiight. I bet they can’t wait for more “let me love on you a bit” and other weirdness from Perry who is sooooh much better than Romney who is always sober and presidential.

Buy Danish on November 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Oh good Lord, I’ve never seen a more anal bunch of talking heads in my life! Lighten up, press/talking heads. Perry was great!

Ms Bachmann is such a mean spirited witch who continues to break Ronald Reagan’s 11th commandment. She is a sore loser and an embarassment to all women…

purgatory on November 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

cartooner on November 2, 2011 at 1:11 PM

This pollster works for Perry.

He is now making radio appearances saying he witnessed Cain harassing people.

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Meghan Kelly asking the question right now; was he drinking alcohol.

swamp_yankee on November 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM

swamp_yankee on November 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM

All the social conservatives in the entire state of NH were probably in that room.

Perry doesn’t quite understand what Live Free or Die really means to NH.

haner on November 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Knucklehead on November 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I seem to recall you enjoying it when Perry was being piled on?

(Grabs more popcorn…)

This is going to be one heck of a primary season.

Tee hee hee™

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM

No. It’s not. By the time this is over either they are going to be so damaged that Obama will win easily or a professional politician like Romney will win and, well, you be the judge.

Either way, this isn’t going to end well so enjoy your popcorn now.

This kind of BS is why the liberals have been setting the meme for what, 40 years now?

And everyone wonders why there are no good candidates.

kim roy on November 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM

cartooner on November 2, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Bingo.

Vashta.Nerada on November 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Southernblogger on November 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I had forgotten about that incident until yesterday when Ace linked this.

Herman Cain is flat-out unworthy of the support of conservatives right now, and as far as The Damn Dirty RINO is concerned, he always will be. His disregard for the basic human decency of Rick Perry in tarring him as a man who tolerates racism along with the accusations against him — however thinly sourced and vaguely worded — mark Cain as a man of deeply questionable character. And conservatives can do better. Much, much better.

And for all the conservative commentators who think it’s a good idea to stand behind this particular man out of loyalty to the conservative movement, I have one question: Where the hell was Herman Cain’s loyalty to the conservative movement a month ago?

Cain has played the race card twice now so I have to ask Cain supporters how many times does he get to use this particularly onerous tactic?

Bill C on November 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Southernblogger on November 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

And no one would have faulted him if he had something more as Cain went after him on three different occassions.

Yet he says something like this :)

gophergirl on November 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Perry leaked the Cain story.

Pollster Chris Wilson said he witnessed harassment by Cain.

Save a pretzel for the gas jets!

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:02 PM

This doesn’t prove that Perry did it – or even knew about it.

I like Cainlusionals refuse to have “innuendo” thrust on their candidate – but are all to willing to thrust in on others.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Perry leaked the Cain story.

Pollster Chris Wilson said he witnessed harassment by Cain.

Save a pretzel for the gas jets!

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:02 PM

The woman’s lawyer already said it was someone on the NRA board. If the guy you linked to is telling the truth, he was actually present and saw what happened.

kg598301 on November 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Buy Danish on November 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Romney always sober and presidential? You mean like when he was whining to Anderson to intervene during the last debate – when Perry had him on the ropes?

Sure… (rolls eyes)… whatever tickles your fancy, my dear friend.

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM

This pollster works for Perry.

He is now making radio appearances saying he witnessed Cain harassing people.

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Are you willing to BET YOUR LIFE that Cain didn’t engage in sexual harrassment?

I’m not.

What if he’s guilty – then the guys who bring this forward are GOP heros by keeping us from nominating a flawed nominee that will only be “found out” in the general.

Let this play out.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Romney who is always sober and presidential.

Buy Danish on November 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

…and always weasely. Good one, on him we’re in different camps this round. But you, I wish all the best, with much respect.

This pollster works for Perry.

He is now making radio appearances saying he witnessed Cain harassing people.

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

YOU are no different than the leftie media. One can be a pollster and have witnessed anything. Until you have proof of your claim, please stop the madness. You are derelict.

Both the Romney and Perry camps denied their involvement on day one. Produce facts or shut up.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM

This doesn’t prove that Perry did it – or even knew about it.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Isn’t it amazing how that works.

gophergirl on November 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM

kg598301 on November 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM

It doesn’t matter if there’s VIDEO with Herman Cain’s hand down a woman’s blouse – it won’t matter to Cainlusionals.

They’ll simply say that his amorous nature makes him MORE qualified to be President and then compare him to Bill Clinton or something.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM

cartooner on November 2, 2011 at 1:11 PM

This pollster works for Perry.

He is now making radio appearances saying he witnessed Cain harassing people.

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

He was also Executive Director of the Texas Republican Party.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM

This pollster works for Perry.

He is now making radio appearances saying he witnessed Cain harassing people.

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I had a guy who worked for me who molested kids – does that mean I molested kids?

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

The speech was a Rorschach test. If Romney would have given that speech Hotair commenters would be making the patented “i’ll stay home before I vote for that buffoon” comment. But it was Perry so it was just a fantastic speech, and an amazing bottle of syrup.

hanzblinx on November 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

This pollster works for Perry.

He is now making radio appearances saying he witnessed Cain harassing people.

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

The current President of the RGA is a Romney supporter.

Who’s to say he didn’t drop the story????

portlandon on November 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

haha, he is a drunk. I thought he just got tongue tied at the third debate, and looked kind of stoned at the other one but this is a flaming red flag.

DanaSmiles on November 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Buy Danish on November 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

We already have sober and presidential in the white house.

cartooner on November 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

No. But such a confession wouldn’t speak very well as to a person’s vetting ability.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM

portlandon on November 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I told you this before, but your mind is great and you use it well. So many can’t hold two thoughts in one given head. It’s depressing to watch.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Oh…

I see.

So, Perry’s paid pollster from Oklahoma who has zero contention to any of the individuals can just accuse people of harassment with zero facts to back it up?

You do realize that the burden of proof isn’t on the person being accused… right?

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM

This doesn’t prove that Perry did it – or even knew about it.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Is tetriskid a “Cainlusional”. What is WRONG with people here? Cainlusional, Palinista, Perrykrishna. Enjoy another four years of Obama.

The pollster, no matter who he works with is a sleazebag and is water carrying for someone. Why is this person talking if there’s a nondisclosure? Ooooooo I saw it and it’s bad, but I can’t say any more. Blah. Whoever he works for needs to fire him because that stench and sleaze will attach itself eventually to whoever is the boss.

As a note, I don’t care anymore who wins the primary because after the last few months I don’t think anyone can beat Obama. None of these people are up for what’s coming and I don’t think the “conservative” electorate has the attention span to do what it takes. So save the insults of “Cainiac or Perrykrishna” for someone else.

kim roy on November 2, 2011 at 1:27 PM

kg598301 on November 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM

It doesn’t matter who released the info, they did the GOP a favor because you can bet that the Obama campaign would have found out about it. This is why we have primaries. If Cain fails to answer these charges then good riddance.

Bill C on November 2, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Perry leaked the Cain story.

Pollster Chris Wilson said he witnessed harassment by Cain.

Save a pretzel for the gas jets!

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:02 PM

This ain’t Perry’s first rodeo. If his people leaked it, it would have been done anonymously. I tend to believe the guy because he had the guts to use his own name, unlike so many others lately.

mrsmwp on November 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM

This pollster works for Perry.

He is now making radio appearances saying he witnessed Cain harassing people.

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

The current President of the RGA is a Romney supporter.

Who’s to say he didn’t drop the story????

portlandon on November 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

The same pollster, Chris Wilson, is also a RedState ::cough:: Perry ::cough:: writer.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Oh…

I see.

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM

But you are blaming Perry for leaking it without one ounce of proof other than an employee is saying that he saw something?

Do you not get how you are being a hypocrite here?

gophergirl on November 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Yep.

They tried to scrub it.

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

kim roy on November 2, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I quit reading right there – because you totally dismiss the fact that the guy COULD BE telling the truth. If he’s telling the truth – he’s not a sleazebag – Cain would be the sleazebag.

You don’t seem to understand that Cain needs to be vetted – this needs to be played out.

Personally – for me – it wouldn’t bother me one bit if Perry leaked this himself. He’s got plenty of motivation to do that seeing as how Cain threw the race card at him on the “N-Rock” thing – which was nothing. Cain’s supporters shouldn’t throw stones because they live in a glass house.

This pollster says he witnessed something and is even putting his name out there because he’s willing to back up what he’s saying and pay the price of ridicule or slander if he’s wrong. That’s heavy – and that’s what you’re not considering.

Why hasn’t Cain demanded the NRA release these women to tell their story? Why is Cain acting guilty?

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Lets keep defending and talking about a single digit candidate.

Yawn.

I’ll give Perry credit for one thing; launching his nomination at the redsate gathering with a bunch of bloggers. No matter how much his campaign sucks, his loyal blogging shills seem to keep him relevant, even when he trails Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul in every poll.

swamp_yankee on November 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Yep.

They tried to scrub it.

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Proof?

You seem to be missing the point that, if this guy is telling the truth – then he’s not going to suffer any repercussions because he would have done us all a huge favor.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I dont think it matters ultimately, he was a bit over animated in the speech but its not the end of the world. The Bachmann thing is interesting to me and someone in the comments also said Santorum piled on. I think this illustrates that Cain is most likely to get the pile on treatment at the next debate. I think the debates matter more then any of this silly stuff, its fun to laugh at, but not important.

nswider on November 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Perry’s paid pollster from Oklahoma
tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM

How is that an OK pollster (with offices in Houston) served as the Executive Director of the Texas Republican Party?

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

swamp_yankee on November 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I agree with you, the polls dont warrant this type of coverage, however, Romney just launched an attack ad against Perry, so I think at least in Romney Camps mind, Perry is the threat.

nswider on November 2, 2011 at 1:34 PM

popularpeoplesfront on November 2, 2011 at 1:10 PM
If you’re speaking of the Ronulan-he has on occasion all but accused Israel of war crimes, thinks it’s dandy if Iran gets nukes, and hangs out with he likes of Alex Jones, Lew Rockwell ,and Don Black.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Proof?

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:32 PM

It was gone and then popped back up.

I am not saying that Cain didn’t do it.

It’s just that Perry is already DOA… He is floundering so poorly that this isn’t going to work.

It may have worked in Texas but it won’t work nationally.

Dumb of him to leak this. If it’s true it would have come out on it’s own.

This make Perry look even worse.

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM

You think Romney appeared drunk or stoned? As for Anderson the debates have rules established in advance which the candidates are supposed to adhere to. Anderson failed in his job as moderator. Perry mammered on and wouldn’t let Romney respond to his idiotic claim that he hired illegals.

But hey, you stand by Mr. “let me love on you a bit”. Just ugh.

We already have sober and presidential in the white house.
cartooner on November 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Really?

Buy Danish on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Oh brother, the plot thickens.

Knucklehead on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

You guys should check out the latest Cain thread, I guess there may now be witnesses to Cain incidents.

nswider on November 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Yep.
They tried to scrub it.
tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

It’s not nice to burn love letters.
“Governor Perry has shown himself to be a durable frontrunner capable of weathering attacks from opponents and enduring the harsh spotlight of the presidential campaign media.”

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Either way, this isn’t going to end well so enjoy your popcorn now.

kim roy on November 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Erm… cough, cough… maybe Cain/Bachmann/Santorum and their supporters should have thought about the good of the conservative movement when they were libeling Perry as being anything other than the most successful conservative governor in the country.

Gardasil and the Texas Dream Act became the issues that they used to send him down in the polls. Thank God he is enjoying his underdog role and quietly working to acquaint primary voters with his good conservative record.

The popcorn is good and I am enjoying it. I could share with you, you know? LOL…

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Perry’s paid pollster from Oklahoma
tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I thought the Texas Trib poll said that Texans don’t like Perry all that much. Even the conservatives and Republicans. Which is it? They can’t be against him and be shilling for him.

mrsmwp on November 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

It may have worked in Texas but it won’t work nationally.

Dumb of him to leak this. If it’s true it would have come out on it’s own.

This make Perry look even worse.

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

It makes no one look worse than you.

Conjecture is indignant.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

It was gone and then popped back up.

I am not saying that Cain didn’t do it.

It may have worked in Texas but it won’t work nationally.

Dumb of him to leak this. If it’s true it would have come out on it’s own.

This make Perry look even worse.
tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

But you can’t prove Perry did this. This is what you can’t prove …

1. You can’t prove the guy who’s talking now is the same guy who leaked the story to Politico. You can’t. He could have simply just been present at one of Cain’s “harrassment” episodes and decided to speak out about it.

2. Even if the guy DID leak it to politio – you can’t prove that Perry told him to do it – or even knew about it. You can’t prove that he didn’t do it on his own without telling anyone.

3. You can’t prove that Erick Erickson tried to scrub the guy from Red State – he’s still THERE. He may have disappeared for a moment in time – due to what? A power outage? Your browser was broke? An internet glitch? A backup routine running?

You make so many logical leaps it’s stunning.

And besides – how can this hurt Perry anymore than 8 percent polls do? He’s got no where to go but up.

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Oh brother, the plot thickens.

Knucklehead on November 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Who needs fiction? Reality is so interesting.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

HondaV65 on November 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

He could be telling the truth, but it’s not his truth to tell with a.. wait for it..

NONDISCLOSURE CLAUSE.

One more time for the hard of hearing

NONDISCLOSURE CLAUSE.

None of these clowns should be talking. Not Cain, not this pollster, not the woman. NO ONE.

You are so full of it. “Why is Cain acting guilty”. That’s the same as “have you stopped beating your wife yet?”.

I guess for the terminally st00pid who don’t seem to get it:

NONDISCLOSURE CLAUSE

Legally he’s said way too much already. He should have had lawyers saying only two words: Nondisclosure clause.

And it wouldn’t bother you one bit if Perry leaked it. Nice to see where your ethics lie.

You are the poster boy for a country going down the toilet.

kim roy on November 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

It’s not nice to burn love letters.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

You know it’s a pretty sad spectacle when you act like the MSM. You have a meme and you are determined to run with it – even if there is no supporting evidence.

When the story first broke, Cain’s campaign started spreading the rumor that it was Perry. That was enough to send Cainiacs fuming.

Then yesterday, we learnt that it could have been from an NRA former employee that had ties to the Romney campaign. Reaction from Cainiacs? Crickets…

Now you are trying to jumpstart the “Perry is behind it” rumor? Okay… (backing away slowly)… have at it.

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

tetriskid on November 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM

The burden is on YOU!

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Frankly, Cain needs to follow this rule too as he has speculated that someone from the right who ‘doesn’t like non-establishment candidates’ could have leaked this story. He made a similar claim on Laura Ingraham’s radio show and in that instance I got the distinct impression he was implying Romney was the bad actor there.

As does Knucklehead who posted this link:

Former President of National Restaurant Association has Ties to the Mitt Romney Campaign
Are we just going to ignore this stuff and continue to tear down Herman Cain? Who planted the story is the story.
Knucklehead on November 1, 2011 at 8:32 PM

According to none other than Rush Limbaugh, this person with “ties” to Romney also donated to Herman Cain. Which must mean he has “ties” to Cain.

Buy Danish on November 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM

By the way in the meantime of all of this nonsense and infighting within the Republican Party as we tear apart our candidates, Obama is rebounding in the polls. Good times.

nswider on November 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Buy Danish on November 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM

No kidding, he also worked for Karl Rove. Talk about a ‘harlot’.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM

He was also Executive Director of the Texas Republican Party.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM

So what?

The big question you seem to be missing…is, Did Cain Do It?

You can spout your beliefs that ‘oh my gosh this camp did it, or that camp did it’ but you aren’t facing your biggest problem…which is ‘Did Cain do It?

If it comes out that he really did harass those women…will you then come back with ‘well, they asked for it’? Or, ‘if he were a white man..they wouldn’t have complained’?

Get over it already….we’re having this discussion because he did ‘something’…or they wouldn’t have paid the women off.

It doesn’t matter who leaked the story…what matters is that there was a story there to leak.

monique on November 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

monique on November 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Ah… beautiful you.

I was just about to express the same sentiment but you took the words from my mouth and expressed it better than I could have done.

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 1:53 PM

He was also Executive Director of the Texas Republican Party.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM

So what?
monique on November 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I think you’ll find that whatever damage this does to Cain, the damage it will do to the campaign that did the hit will be extremely severe.

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:56 PM

How about the leak came from the DNC? Then it seems to be working exactly as planned. Making everyone accuse the other Republican camp for the leak and disrupting everything.

Oleta on November 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Either way, this isn’t going to end well so enjoy your popcorn now.

kim roy on November 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

You’re equating sniping about someone’s political actions while in office to leaking/innuendo regarding a legal decision with a nondisclosure clause? Have you ever considered that Gardasil and the Dream Act are decisions WHILE IN OFFICE that he should answer for?

Just like Cain’s time at the Fed or comments made at the Sunday shows is fair game.

But ooooooooookay. That’s some fine rationalization you have going there.

kim roy on November 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM

monique on November 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

You’ve never worked in business, insurance or in a legal office, have you?

Google “nuisance claims” and get back to us.

kim roy on November 2, 2011 at 2:02 PM

But ooooooooookay. That’s some fine rationalization you have going there.

kim roy on November 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Come on, kim, I expect better from you.

So Perry’s actions while in office is fair game but because Cain has no political record, we can’t question anything he did in his business life? /baffled

If he indeed “sexually harassed” those women, don’t you think we are entitled to know before promoting him to the White House with its bevy of ‘beautiful’ interns?

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 2:11 PM

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Sure… just like it damaged whoever leaked Perry’s “racist rock” story and Cain’s campaign when he piled on.

Oh wait! Cain benefited from it…

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 2:13 PM

whatcat on November 2, 2011 at 1:56 PM

So be it.

But to offer opinions before the facts are out causes even more damage.

When you make accusations against another campaign without facts to back them up, you run the risk of coming out of it looking less than squeaky-clean too.

Until we know all the facts of who did what to whom…I think we should all lay off the blame game.

By attempting to play the ‘If my guy can’t win…I’ll make sure yours doesn’t either’ game will destroy any chance we may have of beating obama.

And isn’t that our main objective?

monique on November 2, 2011 at 2:14 PM

You’ve never worked in business, insurance or in a legal office, have you?

Google “nuisance claims” and get back to us.

kim roy on November 2, 2011 at 2:02 PM

What difference does it make whether it was a ‘nuisance claim’ or not?

It was a claim.

And the NRA took it serious enough to pay the claimants off.

They didn’t fire them for making unsubstantiated claims…they paid them off. Which leads me to believe that there was something going on.

There was more than one woman…were both claims filed at the same time? Both found to a be ‘nuisance’? Come on….

Harassment, not matter what kind is unacceptable in the workplace.

If Cain is guilty…he should accept responsibility for his actions and move on…sooner rather than later.

monique on November 2, 2011 at 2:31 PM

kerrhome on November 2, 2011 at 12:55 PM

That’s the truth, Perry knows what sells in Texas, he just has to figure out what works when he’s traveling the rest of the country. As long as when he visits, some campaign stop, and doesn’t wish an American Icon a happy birthday on the anniversary of their death….Perry will be alright, he has time to fine tune his stump speech :)

The complaint before was he was behaving to stiff, and he should be himself. Rick Perry was enjoying himself – edited version looks odd and choppy. Imagine a poor editing job might just have that effect. I appreciate that he lightened up, and he should ignore the folks telling him to keep it all glum and solemn. They aren’t running for President, it’s his campaign.

The reason Cain is doing so well is because he refuses to fit himself into the MSM’s predictable vanilla personality mold, while running for President. The media is not who are going to vote them into office.

Tim Pawlenty was a vanilla campaigner, what good did it get him?

Dr Evil on November 2, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Oleta on November 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Operation Chaos – The Obama campaign team was paying attention to what Rush Limbaugh did to them in the 2008 democrat primary, and now it’s pay back time.

I sure hope republicans are too sharp to fall for it.

Dr Evil on November 2, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Rick Perry: you can expect a consistent conservative, not a conservative of convenience.

Pitch Perfect.

Dr Evil on November 2, 2011 at 2:57 PM

that’s what Cain said too

No, that would be President McCain, when he started losing.

DanaSmiles on November 2, 2011 at 3:05 PM