Fun rumor of the day: Palin reconsidering?

posted at 7:11 pm on November 2, 2011 by Allahpundit

It’s wafer thin but lots of fun to game out, and I figure our resident Palinistas would appreciate having a new reason to believe after last month’s great disappointment. Here you go. The ballot deadlines have passed in New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Florida, which means there are three possibilities. One: It’s not true. Two: It is true but she’s going to run third party, which means she doesn’t have to worry about primary deadlines. Three: It’s true and she’s going to run as a Republican, having been lured back into the race by the vacuum on the right after Perry’s collapse and Cain’s sudden vulnerability. What about NH, SC, and FL, though? Well, in theory she could run hard in Iowa, win there, and then immediately start campaigning in states with later primaries while Romney, Perry, and Cain duke it out over the rest of the early states. That would be awfully risky given the momentum that Romney would have if, as expected, he wins in New Hampshire and Florida, but the media would love the suspense of watching Palin defy the conventional playbook by skipping traditional early “must wins.” Imagine the drama if Romney steamrolled Perry and Cain and turned up on Super Tuesday with only Palin, the Iowa winner, left to stop him. Gut-check time for Republican voters: Would they opt grudgingly for Mitt on grounds that Palin might be unelectable or would they rally to Palin on “Anyone But Romney” grounds? Three words, my friends: Blog. Traffic. Apocalypse.

Anyway. Not happening. But fun to consider.

Update: Via Business Insider, are we sure Palin wouldn’t win that Super Tuesday showdown with Romney?

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Here are questions you won’t answer: What makes someone “presidential material”? And how does your candidate display those qualities?

L.N. Smithee on November 2, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Them against Putin. ‘Nuff said.

ProudPalinFan on November 3, 2011 at 3:31 PM

As a former die-hard Palin supporter, I think she has hurt her chances beyond repair – forever. She left this country in a sorry state. I believe she could have won and done some good for our nation but Track and Willow (???) voted NO. What’s up with that?

I’m going with Newt as I think he is the only one that can hit the ground running and the only one who can actually debate “Occupy the White House”.

We may only have 2 years to undo the damage the Communist in Chief has brought on this country. Cain will have a 2 to 3 year learning curve. Romney is no different than Obama. Anita Perry will be too busy planning her parties. Newt’s the one.

stenwin77 on November 3, 2011 at 6:38 AM

I pretty much agree with you on this one. For those interested, check out this speech from Gingrich back in ’09 (after the Ft. Hood incident:)

kitmantv.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-ii-part-iii-part-iv.html

I am still looking at the field and I am really unhappy with it. Sucks and I am waiting for at least three to drop. Considering to write her in-so I can have a clear conscience.

ProudPalinFan on November 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM

ProudPalinFan on November 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM

For some reason, your link is not working. Maybe HA blocked it? I googled and it was well worth the time. Man, Newt sounds like Rush in these clips. Thanks.

mike_NC9 on November 3, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Isn’t it funny that if you say you’ll stay home instead of voting for Gov. Romney, you are labeled as childish. So many standards, so little time.

Cindy Munford on November 2, 2011 at 8:10 PM

I’ll add in another label – irresponsible.

sherry on November 3, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Certainly.

However, the GOP establishment made it clear to her that they would not support her even if she won the nomination. She did not want to risk being a sacrificial Goldwater candidate and hand the election to Obama….

Missy on November 3, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I just want to say that this sounds very plausible to me. I really do suspect that the GOP honchos might have actually gone to Palin and said “Listen, if you run and win the nomination, we’ll do whatever we have to do to throw the election to Obama.”

If Rasmussen can claim to find that fully one-fifth of all conservatives would vote for Obama over Palin, then yeah, I could see this happening. If a substantial percentage of the GOP side of the chattering class could side with Obama in 2008, even as all the signs were there that Obama was going to be an awful president even then, then yeah, I could see this happening.

Which is why it’s going to be a long time before I have the patience to sit through yet another call to arms from the GOP as they go into their “this is the most important election of our lives” spiel that they push on us every election season. As far as I’m concerned, the GOP has shown that, if pushed, it will side with the socialists and against conservatives and constitutionalists.

Aitch748 on November 3, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Cindy Munford on November 2, 2011 at 8:10 PM

I’ll add in another label – irresponsible.

sherry on November 3, 2011 at 5:42 PM

At this point I really don’t give a damn. I’m not dragging my ass out to the voting booth to vote for an Obama-Lite. If the GOP really wants my vote, they can nominate somebody worth voting for. Don’t push this big-government New-England-liberal milquetoast Harvard fellow on me and then claim that if he doesn’t catch fire and kick Emperor Urkel and his angry wife out of office then it’s somehow my fault because I failed to fight like Patton for him. If we’re calling for a fighter, don’t foist Peewee Herman on us and then blame us for not being supportive enough when he loses.

Aitch748 on November 3, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Aitch=====so well said. My fervent hope is that more wake up to the fact that the Washington “establishment” is in both parties.

jainphx on November 3, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Stop being everything you loathed in the Palin supporters and I’ll stop being amused.
Cindy Munford on November 3, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Pfft. I am not behaving like Palinistas, but you are continuing to sulk, finding solace in a petty little childish game of spitballs. I guess it’s your way of trying to get revenge, as you seem to blame me for Palin’s failures. Which of course is preposterous.

I made one very polite, civilized comment. It was not demeaning to any candidate or any commenter. It was a simple observation completely lacking in venom (I merely observed that you are wrong when you say “nobody” likes Romney). For some unfathomable reason your new BFF Ariel (whom I don’t believe I’ve ever had any interaction with before yesterday) decided to use that totally bland observation to launch an asinine, pointless, and incoherent attack. And you signed right up. I do hope you feel better.

Buy Danish on November 3, 2011 at 7:53 PM

If she doesn’t, I will continue to be disappointed, but I won’t blame or despise her for it. God bless her.

pannw on November 3, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I wish more Palin supporters (or former Palin supporters, as the case may be) would look at it that way.
Well said.

listens2glenn on November 3, 2011 at 9:49 PM

pannw on November 3, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Well said.

listens2glenn on November 3, 2011 at 9:49 PM

I’m disappointed in Palin’s decision not to run, but she had every right in the world to make that decision. I am a little annoyed/disgusted that some of her former supporters are taking her decision as a betrayal.

Aitch748 on November 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Aitch748 on November 3, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Fortunately HA is not a microcosm of the electorate. Will miss you at the voting booth but won’t tilt the results in either direction.
For months pbots dreamed and begged for SP to come out of the heavens and all along demanded that skeptical commenters declare that “yes ,if she runs and gets the nomination we will vote for her”.
But once she says no I’m not running the pbots go ape^%^% and make their declarations of non-support if it is anyone but her.

Visiting the Palin threads now that the long tease is over sees the same bots all wee weed up and admonishing the other posters for a myriad of perceived slights. Sadly some are so emotionally distraught they are coming to anonymous comment threads in the hopes people will beg them to support the party and assuage their battered ego…

Seriously pbots either give it up or go stand up your own site — maybe “IluvSarah just cuz.com” or “if you don’t like her you are a meanie.com”.

You got duped by a media sensation who never seriously considered running in the first place. If you gave money to her pac you paid for all that travel and stuff but little else.

It is the internet boys and girls — there is a great big real world out there to sample…. try it sometime — it is far more gratifying than sulking for months on end.

Bradky on November 3, 2011 at 11:24 PM

I’d vote for her in a heartbeat.

Knott Buyinit on November 4, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Aitch748 on November 3, 2011 at 6:48 PM

ABSOLUTELY! I will vote for a conservative whether they are the “R” nominee, running as third party, or a write-in (in that exact order). If you want my vote for an “R”, then you need to nominate a strong Republican conservative.

I would vote for Palin in an instant if she ran third party (if no strong conservative “R” emerged).

Some people are more concerned with their party, than about the state of the country.

dominigan on November 4, 2011 at 10:32 AM

She caved. I don’t care what reason she gave.

Amjean on November 3, 2011 at 1:02 PM

That is clear.

You should care, though.

Because if she had run, won the nomination, and lost to Obama, that would be far, far worse than sitting on the sidelines and letting someone else have a shot. It sucks, but a candidate who doe not have the full support of the establishment (let alone be at risk of being torpedoed by the establishment, as I believe Palin would have been) is not going to beat Obama.

Your reaction seems mostly emotional to me. She let her supporters down and nothing else matters, is how I’m reading you. Unfortunately, other things do matter. The stakes are way too high to let emotions guide these kinds of decisions.

Incidentally, I believe that when she said “game on” in Madison in the spring, she did in fact believe she would run. I think she really wanted to run and was planning to do so through the summer, but down the road in August and September, events made it clear to her that it just wasn’t going to work.

Missy on November 4, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Aitch748 on November 3, 2011 at 6:34 PM

So far, you appear to be correct. Pretty sad, huh?

Missy on November 4, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Bradky on November 3, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Then when Romney loses next year guess who’ll get the blame? Of course. Those inconsequential types.

ddrintn on November 4, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Aitch748 on November 3, 2011 at 6:34 PM

all one needs to know is that as they lose conservative legislative battles, they gain power as a result of the statists gains

TEA Party or Bust

Sonosam on November 4, 2011 at 5:24 PM

. . . . . What makes someone “presidential material”? And how does your candidate display those qualities?
L.N. Smithee on November 2, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Them against Putin. ‘Nuff said.
ProudPalinFan on November 3, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Can’t beat that for a litmus test! : )

listens2glenn on November 6, 2011 at 9:10 AM