AP: Third woman comes forward to accuse Cain of harassment; Update: “Positive development” coming? Update: Cain blames Perry camp; Update: Iowa radio host accuses Cain too?

posted at 4:20 pm on November 2, 2011 by Allahpundit

She didn’t file a complaint, but she considered it.

She worked for the National Restaurant Association when he was its head. She told The Associated Press that Cain made sexually suggestive remarks or gestures about the same time that two co-workers had settled separate harassment complaints against him.

The employee described situations in which she said Cain told her he had confided to colleagues how attractive she was and invited her to his corporate apartment outside work. She spoke on condition of anonymity, saying she feared retaliation.

Remember, Cain explained away the incident with one woman as confusion over a gesture he made when showing her how tall his wife is. Not much room for confusion in this third woman’s allegations, though. And here’s something new from the pollster (and Perry supporter) who said earlier today that he saw Cain behave questionably:

Wilson declined to say specifically what Cain said or did to the woman, but that the CEO’s actions made other individuals at the table uneasy.

“It was very uncomfortable,” said the pollster, recalling that other individuals present asked Cain to stop.

Wilson said there were at least three other people at the gathering, but wouldn’t share the name of the woman for publication.

The fact that the third woman never filed a complaint will help Cain a lot, obviously, but we’ve now got four separate people accusing him of inappropriate behavior — the three women plus Wilson — two of whom memorialized their claims with formal complaints long before he ran for president. How much more smoke he can stand before people conclude there must be a fire? Stand by for updates.

Update: Two polling benchmarks for you. He leads the field nationally in Quinnipiac’s new poll with 30 percent to Romney’s 23 and Gingrich’s 10, and he’s the only candidate to have gained this year in Gallup’s measure of positive intensity. Remember those numbers, as they’ll be the yardstick to measure the fallout from this week’s harassment circus after the next polls are taken.

Via Breitbart TV, here was the scene as reporters descended upon him outside an event this morning.

Update: Not sure what this means but let me put it in front of you. From Fox News’s Chad Pergram:

After meeting with Cain, Rep. Gingery says “something coming” from Cain on sexual harassment. Cain said it be “a positive development.”

Question: Who’s more likely to be damaged by all this, Cain himself or whichever rival candidate leaked this story to Politico once we find out who that is? I think the answer depends on whether the woman speak on the record or not. If so, and if they seem credible, it’s Cain. If not, and all we’re left with in this case is a bunch of anonymous accusations, it’s the rival. The base will be incensed at the dirtiness of a trick this dirty unless there’s something very solid to it. I hope for Romney’s and Perry’s sake that they’re not responsible.

Update: The next debate’s going to be amazing.

There, beside rusting rail lines, is the home of OnMessage Inc., a Republican-leaning consulting firm recently hired to bolster Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s presidential campaign.

One of the firm’s partners, Curt Anderson, worked on Cain’s losing 2004 U.S. Senate campaign. Cain thinks he’s the hired political gun who leaked details to Politico, a Washington trade publication, of alleged “sexually suggestive behavior” Cain is said to have exhibited towards two women while he ran the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s. That story set off a media frenzy which has quickly put Cain’s campaign on the defense…

“I told my wife about this in 1999 and I’ve got nothing to hide,” Cain told me Wednesday. “When I sat down with my general campaign consultant Curt Anderson in a private room in our campaign offices in 2003 we discussed opposition research on me. It was a typical campaign conversation. I told him that there was only one case, one set of charges, one woman while I was at the National Restaurant Association. Those charges were baseless, but I thought he needed to know about them. I don’t recall anyone else being in the room when I told him.”…

Aside from knowing about the alleged sexual harassment accusations, Cain campaign officials point to the timing of Anderson’s hiring by Perry as evidence of his involvement. The campaign announced Anderson’s role on October 24, just a week before Politico broke the story.

Anderson denied the accusation to Politico, saying he first heard of the harassment charges on Sunday night when the story broke. Over to you, Rick Perry.

Exit question: You know who this benefits?

Update: I feel dizzy. New from Politico, Iowa radio host Steve Deace says Cain said inappropriate things to two of his staffers too:

“Like awkward/inappropriate things he’s said to two females on my staff, that the fact the guy’s wife is never around…that’s almost always a warning flag to me,” Deace wrote. “But I chose to leave that stuff out [of the opinion piece] and make it about his record and not the personal stuff.”

Pressed about what exactly Cain said to the employees of his show, Deace responded by describing how he himself treats his staff.

“Many a man has been done in by the inability to control his urges,” Deace wrote. “I am no different and just as vulnerable as any other man, which is why I put safeguards around me and hold myself accountable to my wife and other men in my life. Especially since I have very talented employees that happen to be women. I go out of my way to treat them like my sisters. For example, I wouldn’t tell them or any other woman I am not married to nor related to how pretty she is.”

Interestingly, Mark Block made a reference to Deace’s accusations a few days ago at a National Journal event but Deace says neither he nor his staff ever told Block about them. Oh, and here’s the opinion piece to which Deace refers in his Politico interview. He’s not a fan of Cain’s, needless to say.

Update: Erick Erickson wonders why, if Cain knew that former staffers like Anderson knew about the harassment charges, his campaign didn’t have a plan in place to deal with this story when, not if, it finally surfaced.

Update: Newt to the rescue!

“Here’s a situation where we’ve got a guy who’s the front runner for the Republican nomination, has a serious proposal on tax policy: 999, whether you like or dislike it, it is a serious big idea,” Gingrich told Atlanta’s WBS TV, according to ABC News. “He’s out there trying to help a country that’s in desperate trouble, and he has gotten more coverage over the last few days over gossip.”

Update: A good point from Guy Benson:

[Curt] Anderson denying TO POLITICO that he leaked *to* Politico *does* clear him. Unless Politico *wants* to self-destruct.

I.e. unless Politico is willing to knowingly publish false denials from its source, Anderson isn’t its source. Which brings us to another good point, this time from Ace’s co-blogger Drew M.: “So Cain’s story is he remembered to do an oppo dump on himself in 03 for Senate race but not for his ’12 run for POTUS?”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11

Aslans Girl on November 2, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Shoot. Beat me to it.

tims472 on November 2, 2011 at 10:21 PM

In these matters, and when you have a CEO involved, there is always the question of whether the guy was chasing skirt or whether the skirt was chasing him. The latter happens more often than most people think.

TXUS on November 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM

During their clash in 2008, Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama treated each other with kid gloves for months, each wary of taking the first shot.

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 9:32 PM

It was always his *followers* who were so horrible. Allowing him to take the “high” road, although I never saw him chastize any of his peeps for their uncivil behavior.

Shay on November 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM

This third woman, of which I speak, had never made a report to HR or even filed a claim for SH, so there was no agreement or confidentiality provision to be waived. While I’m not supporting Cain at this time, it pisses me off for the media to even publish such an unfounded, after-the-fact allegation when this woman didn’t feel the need to make a report at the time the incidents were alleged to have occurred.

TXUS on November 2, 2011 at 9:08 PM

not to mention changing standards of what constitutes SH. There might have been something that was no big deal then but now qualifies as SH now. Or consider this, there was a talkshow caller on Monday that related how he had to do two days of sensitivity training over and beyond the normal corporate fare all because of a female that transferred in and claimed distress because he looked like her rapist. Would she even have a leg to stand on? Yes in this day and age of never allowing any minority to be offended. Fortunately, the caller didn’t sound embittered and just took it in stride.

AH_C on November 2, 2011 at 10:28 PM

im not sure if i believe he harassed anyone or not, but we have way too many allegations to just give him the benefit of the doubt. and with him not being able to give a consistent story he’s shooting holes in his credibility left and right. he had 10 days to work on getting any data from the NRA, which since he was the president im sure his requests would get worked on asap, he had no statement prepared at all, answering that reporter w/ “have you ever been accused of sexual harassment” was buffonish. he wouldve done better to just walk away.

chasdal on November 2, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Sorry, I don’t work like you – I give people the benefit of the doubt until I have good reason not to.

Multiple anonymous accusations, especially when they are as shaky as the ones we have now apparently are, add up to ZERO, and will stay that way until we see some real flesh on these bones.

I don’t believe that there is a “there” there, but, I am not sticking my head in the sand, saying it’s not possible – I just have this funny tendency to look before I leap! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on November 2, 2011 at 10:31 PM

tims472 on November 2, 2011 at 10:21 PM

LOL. *In my best Don Adams voice* you missed it by that || much ;)

Aslans Girl on November 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM

AH_C on November 2, 2011 at 10:28 PM

If the caller’s story is true, my God. So, now it’s gone beyond the content of your character and the color of your skin, to what you look like and remind someone of. I, for sure, would not have taken that crap in stride, and would’ve sued the company before spending a nanosecond in sensitivity training. This is the kind of crap that no one should endure.

TXUS on November 2, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Aslans Girl on November 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM

It’s funny ’cause I refreshed about 3 or 4 times to make sure I was right. He who hesitates loses I guess. “Sorry about that, Chief” (in my imperfect Don Adams voice). :-)

tims472 on November 2, 2011 at 10:39 PM

chasdal on November 2, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Yeah, and who is the source for this supposed 10 days?

Yes, that’s right, POLITICO. The same people who are publishing what basically amount to poorly substantiated, incredibly lame stories about non-sexual gestures that made them uncomfortable.

Ya gotta be kidding me.

BKennedy on November 2, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Shay on November 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Fits Rick Perry to a T. At least Paul’s truther squads are one-note in their “everyone is a bankster” line, Perryslugs go far deeper into the slime.

BKennedy on November 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Yeah, and who is the source for this supposed 10 days?

Ya gotta be kidding me.

BKennedy on November 2, 2011 at 11:03 PM

And has Cain’s campaign come out to dispute Politico’s alleged ten days notice?

Crickets….

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 11:10 PM

BKennedy on November 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Really? All of them? That’s not what you’re doing here?

Shay on November 2, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Sorry, BKennedy, but you are reaching in trying to defend Cain.

Heck, the guy can’t even defend himself and has only resorted to shooting the messengers…

I am still waiting for Cain to lay out the facts and make confident denials instead of changing his story with each passing day.

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 11:12 PM

BKennedy on November 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM

And Cain’s accusation of Perry is just to ensure that if he does go down, he takes Perry with him. Better to throw it all to Romney rather than implode in peace (pieces), right?

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 11:14 PM

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Load of garbage. You’d pounce on Cain either way. Same with Punchenko. There is no answer he could possibly give that you would not parse, twist, and spin. You do not act in good faith, and quite frankly I don’t know why I’m wasting my time responding to you.

BKennedy on November 2, 2011 at 11:18 PM

I’ll amend my earlier statement: it is not a “good” interview, it’s a great interviewer from Gov. Perry. Woohoo :)

Aslans Girl on November 2, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Yes! Liz Cheney & John Bolton = dream team.

Maybe one of them for VP?

LASue on November 2, 2011 at 11:35 PM

TXUS on November 2, 2011 at 10:38 PM

If it’s a company become John Deere, I’m afraid you’d have no case, nor a nuisance severance to part with. Not disputing your sentiment, just lamenting how nannified and PC we’ve become.

On a similar track, last month when DADT repeal became official, word rolled down from on high that there’d be zero tolerance for anyone offending a gay person, emphasis on zero. No jokes, no sermonizing, nada. The brass has good reason to take this stance, because, rest assured, the first case will make a career ending example of the commander. In that context, I think back tolast year where a bunch of us were at the water cooler, teasing our division chief about the time his Harley broke down and called a friend for a tow. After loading the bike, the chief suggested buying a drink at the pub across the street. The friend took one look, saw the rainbow artwork and said, ‘are you nuts?’. The chief didn’t realize it was a gay bar, and for months after that, got ribbed about it from us. Imagine if one of us decided to get offended and now under the new rules, pressed charges?

My take on the ‘cain affair’ is to side with him until irrefutable proof exists that he pursued or used his position to intimidate another person due to sexual motives. Anything less, like a bad joke or a simple compliment won’t cut it. There is real SH and then there’s the PC crap. I won’t validate the PC crap by holding it against Cain if that’s what it boils down to. For all we know, they could have been golddiggers that got spurned and wanted to lash out. Whatevs, till every detail comes out and proves otherwise, Im backing him in this mess.

AH_C on November 2, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Cain did do an oppo dump on himself for this sexual harassment story.

Conservative Samizdat on November 2, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Gee, sounds like a Chicago machine smear campaign…shocking!

Actually, not surprising of course. These Chicago thugs and Tammany Hall Democrats have been voted in and kept in power for 150 by the sheeple in their respective cesspools.

As for the “sexual harassment” stuff-this lame PC garbage has been nudged and foisted upon us over decades by an odd combination of Libs, lawyers, Yuppies, and Holy Rollers. Throw in the institution of journalism which has been run by Leftists for a century now and there’s no wonder why we’ve turned into a dysfunctional, impotent society afraid of our own shadows.

Dr. ZhivBlago on November 2, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Oh so all the “allegations” are Cain being a gentleman HAHAHAHA

He compliments woman says thank you and calls the lovely , (BTW he doesn’t work at a radio station) and gestures a lady to go first.

Now I get it .

AHAHAHHA The GOP looks stupid, POLITCO looks retarded, the MSM looks childish and Rove , Perry and Romney look downright underhanded (Btw they have to prove they didn’t “leak” the story , they are guilty until then)

Cain is bound to surge once his nasty habit of being a southern gentleman gets out.

LeeSeneca on November 3, 2011 at 12:17 AM

LeeSeneca on November 3, 2011 at 12:17 AM

He’s accused of asking a woman he’s not married to (while he himself was married) to his hotel room. That’s “gentlemanly” behaviour? Who knew? ///

Aslans Girl on November 3, 2011 at 12:23 AM

LeeSeneca on November 3, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Wow. Do you work for Eric Holder?

sloopy on November 3, 2011 at 12:37 AM

LeeSeneca on November 3, 2011 at 12:17 AM

LOL… (shakes head in bewilderment)…

TheRightMan on November 3, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Aslans Girl on November 3, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Did you so rigorously join in on the gay gossip about Rick Perry? Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but is that more “gentlemanly”?

whatcat on November 3, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Wow a lot of sad people here hoping for Cain to crash and burn, lol. He is handling it horribly, because he is not a politician. That’s the whole point! Expecting him to squash this on the first try is unrealistic. He is now on defense which is what the MSM and whoever brought up the story desired.

Then again people can make mistakes even when they are accomplished politicians, say like being a flip flopping weasel on support for issues or telling those who don’t believe in funding illegal immigrants they have no heart!

Honestly, I don’t care who wins, I will vote and campaign for whoever the nominee is as long as they go for the throat.

I swear some of the people here nowadays are just plants sowing discord! Get it through your heads, virtually none of these people care whether you die tommorrow. They don’t care about you and they are a hopeful means to end the brazen theft going on by this administration in broad daylight.

Africanus on November 3, 2011 at 2:50 AM

The Teflon Candidate.

Yes we Cain!

labrat on November 3, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Wouldn’t it be delicious if one or more of the accusers were allowed to comment, and came out with something like:
“Yes, I filed against him way back then, received a payment without Cain’s knowledge or signature, and upon further reflection, understand that it was truly a frivolous misunderstanding on my part. I sincerely regret the problem this caused such a good man”

:-)

pambi on November 3, 2011 at 10:17 AM

They’re still trying to smear Perry. Cain is definitely working with Romney.
Perry’s still gonna win. Remember the Alamo!

lonestar1 on November 3, 2011 at 11:46 AM

chasdal on November 2, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I agree with most of your post… but the number of accusers is not a good gauge of anything really. His detractors could probably come up with a thousand people who’s feelings he had hurt over the years…
Counting the number of people willing to ‘accuse’ him of ham handed sexual innuendos (note… not rape, or groping, or having women brought to a hotel by the Arkansas State Police)… is a different angle of ‘It’s not the nature of the evidence, it’s the seriousness of the charge.’ attack strategy.
It’s not the weakness of the individual accusation, it’s the overwhelming number of them.
Sorry… Not with so many willing to be offended to achieve their political ends. Give me at least one real offence… or expect me to say… eh…
Cain is not my first choice… But at this point… I’ll still take him over Barry.

RalphyBoy on November 3, 2011 at 12:45 PM

TheRightMan on November 2, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Awesome idea: how about we wait for the accusers to lay out the charges, and Cain can deny them?

If they accuse him of telling them they look nice, then we can get a better grasp on the situation. Oh, that’s right. You have zero interest in the facts. Your only interest is the tearing down of any candidate that isn’t Rick Perry, because you’re a bats**t loopty-loo cultist.

MadisonConservative on November 3, 2011 at 1:04 PM

MadisonConservative on November 3, 2011 at 1:04 PM

what a reasonable thing to say….

gracie on November 3, 2011 at 1:44 PM

sandee on November 2, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Who are your sources…come on please tell!!!!!

RedLizard64 on November 3, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Remember folks if we (MSM) can keep Cain on the defense with spurious accusations, then OUR candidate (Romney?) will be all they have and our guy OBAMA will chew him up over just what’s out there (not saying we don’t have a dozen October surprises in the wing) and Progressivism wins the day! We have a benevolent dictator for life and millions of clingers are killed by the wringers.

RedLizard64 on November 3, 2011 at 2:16 PM

d1carter on November 2, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Exaclty..he may not be working for the DEMS but he is working for the establishment!

RedLizard64 on November 3, 2011 at 2:37 PM

LOL keep the cain story alive so the people wont see this.
Solyndra,Fast n furious,Beacon,Fanny Freddie exec’s getting huge bonus.

ColdWarrior57 on November 3, 2011 at 8:41 PM