Cain on China: “They’re trying to develop nuclear capability”; Update: Cain getting a bad rap?

posted at 9:05 pm on November 1, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Ace, skip ahead to 11:30 or so for the key bit. The quote:

HERMAN CAIN: I do view China as a potential military threat to the United States.

JUDY WOODRUFF: And what could you do as president to head that off?

HERMAN CAIN: My China strategy is quite simply outgrow China. It gets back to economics. China has a $6 trillion economy and they’re growing at approximately 10 percent. We have a $14 trillion economy — much bigger — but we’re growing at an anemic 1.5, 1.6 percent. When we get our economy growing back at the rate of 5 or 6 percent that it has the ability to do, we will outgrow China.

And secondly, we already have superiority in terms of our military capability, and I plan to get away from making cutting our defense a priority and make investing in our military capability a priority, going back to my statement: peace through strength and clarity. So yes they’re a military threat. They’ve indicated that they’re trying to develop nuclear capability and they want to develop more aircraft carriers like we have. So yes, we have to consider them a military threat.

The phrasing’s slightly ambiguous so it becomes a rorschach test on Cain. If you like him and trust that he has a grasp on policy, you’ll think he’s referring here to developing nuclear-powered aircraft carriers. The Pentagon’s chief worry right now is China building any sort of carrier, not necessarily a nuclear one, so this would be an odd bit of specificity from Cain. But fair enough — a Chinese nuclear carrier would indeed be a big deal. If you don’t like him and/or don’t trust him on policy, you’ll think he’s referring here to China developing a general nuclear capability, i.e. nuclear weapons. Which, as pretty much everyone in the world except maybe him knows, they’ve already had for decades. The way the sentence is phrased, with the two parts separated by “and,” it sounds like he’s distinguishing the nuclear component conceptually from the carriers. Could a guy who didn’t know what the “right of return” was and who whiffed on the biggest softball question ever about Gitmo really not know that China has a nuclear deterrent? I’m thinking … maybe. Although it won’t be spun that way tomorrow, needless to say.

The fact that we’re about to have a debate in the comments about whether he knows China has nukes doesn’t bode well for the general election campaign against Obama.

Watch Cain Confident He Can Win Nomination, Says Harassment Claims Are ‘Baseless’ on PBS. See more from PBS NewsHour.

Update: I didn’t see it last night, but here’s what commenter Jason Coleman had to say about Cain’s background with China and nukes:

Herman Cain spent the Vietnam war evaluating the capabilities of the Chinese to deliver a nuclear weapon onto the heads of our forces in South Vietnam.

He examined the test launches of the Dongfeng 1 (SS-1) and plotted out the trajectories for a 500kg warheads.

When China started testing the Dongfeng 2 (CSS-1) Cain plotted out the trajectories and capabilities of it’s delivery of 15 kiloton nuclear weapons.

Both of these missiles were provided to the PRC by the Soviets, Cain analysed data from the Russian test launches and determined the risk to U.S. troops in SE Asia.

Cain also observed the development of China’s first domestically produced missile, Dongfeng 3 (CSS-2) and plotted out it’s use with China’s 15-20KT fissile devices as well as China’s new thermonuclear devices.

Finally, Cain was involved in the determination that China’s Dongfeng 4 (CSS-3) was capable of delivering both fissile and thermonuclear devices to both Moscow and Guam as well as cover the entire deployment of U.S. forces in SE Asia.

Cain is well aware of China’s nuclear missile capability, the only reasonable conclusion is that Cain was indeed referring to China’s attempts to develop and sail their first nuclear aircraft carrier and their attempts to develop more dangerous nuclear cruisers.

I would have broken this out into a separate post except that, after googling, I can’t find anything to confirm Coleman’s claims that Cain spent time on Chinese nukes while he worked on ballistics in the Navy. I e-mailed Coleman to ask for his source but haven’t heard back. He mentioned in another comment last night that some of this is in Cain’s book; I haven’t read it yet but anyone who has is welcome to confirm or deny. Cain’s website says of his time working for the Navy, “Herman continued his education by earning his Master’s degree in computer science from Purdue University while working full-time developing fire control systems for ships and fighter planes for the Department of the Navy,” but Coleman claimed in his second comment that that description is incomplete. If so, I’m surprised Cain hasn’t talked more about his Navy work as a foreign-policy credential. We’ve heard endlessly about Pillsbury and Godfather’s Pizza, but the only time I remember him talking at any length about his Navy work was when Lawrence O’Donnell tried to demagogue him for being some sort of draft dodger. (He told O’Donnell he worked on a “rocket-assisted projectile.”) In any case, there’s at least some reason to doubt the theory that Cain didn’t know about China’s nuke stockpile. Duly noted.

Update: Jason Coleman e-mails to say that some of the details he provided are in Cain’s book, some have been gleaned from bits of info dropped by Cain on the trail, and some he knows from chatting with Cain’s former colleagues. He has no online links to point me too (Cain’s work for the Navy long predated the Internet, obviously) but will send them along if he finds any.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Oh Boy. Accuser says NRA might have leaked story. That is bad.

andy85719 on November 1, 2011 at 10:17 PM

People will keep supporting him and donating. The dolt can do nothing wrong in some people’s eyes.

IR-MN on November 1, 2011 at 9:14 PM

People who are incapable of understanding why someone with his track record is given the benefit of the doubt so often by people who aren’t cynics are dolts.

Bizarro No. 1 on November 1, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:16 PM

NBC’s David Gregory: “But not what Paul Ryan is suggesting, which is completely changing Medicare.”

Gingrich: “I, I think that, I think, I think that that is too big a jump. I think what you want to have is a system where people voluntarily migrate to better outcomes, better solutions, better options, not one where you suddenly impose upon the — I don’t want to — I’m against Obamacare, which is imposing radical change, and I would be against a conservative imposing radical change.”

What he said about Ryans Plan.

nswider on November 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM

You fools! The severance pay was pittance. A nuisance settlement. From the NYTimes

Destroying Cain for something resolved for a pittance 12 years ago because Cain got uppity to lead the GOP field in the polls!

milemarker2020 on November 1, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Cain hasn’t been scrutinized for “being uppity” but for being too vague and by being so, suggesting he’s not prepared for scrutiny in reference to the Oval Office.

I agree and have myself noted that the settlement (that the public is aware of) was mere pennies on the dollar and involved a severance of employment on top of that (so that suggests the accuser/s didn’t have a credible allegation/s to begin with).

But Cain’s response to this issue has been disappointing and revealed him to be unprepared or evasive or both and it’s led to increased lack of confidence in him, by some, at least.

I’m disappointed in his lack of preparation and remarks as to him not “recalling too much” from “the events that happened twelve years ago…”

I mean, twelve years is nothing, I can certainly recall “details” from much longer ago than that and do, especially as to career events.

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM

He also trashed Paul Ryans budget.
nswider on November 1, 2011 at 10:13 PM

So? Don’t expect to take Florida with your name attached to Ryan’s budget. The Democrats love their Mediscaring. Newt is savvy and knows the drill.

Punchenko on November 1, 2011 at 10:21 PM

This may answer your question…

Oh Boy. Accuser says NRA might have leaked story. That is bad.
andy85719 on November 1, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Former President of National Restaurant Association has Ties to the Mitt Romney Campaign

According to the October 2011 FEC report for ROMNEY FOR PRESIDENT INC. a gentlemen named Steven C. Anderson gave $1,000.00 on July 14, 2011. Steven C. Anderson is the same gentlemen who took over the helm as Chief Executive Officer at the National Restaurant Association (after a brief intermission) upon Herman Cain’s departure in 1999. As CEO it is highly likely he would have been privy to details of litigation and threats about litigation from the immediately previous tenure of Herman Cain.
lovingmyUSA on November 1, 2011 at 9:10 PM

gracie on November 1, 2011 at 10:21 PM

EVERYone has “baggage.” Some people just won’t concede they were involved in gossip, however, once proven they were. But everyone has “baggage.”

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Newt’s baggage is much worse than Perry’s IMO (but I’d vote for either).

The Scozzaflava endorsement is indefensible; akin to Cornyn endorsing Crist. Trying to rationalize it is pathetic. Gingrich endorsed her over a conservative. Period. It is bad as Flake, Chaffetz, Issa, et al. endorsing Romney. Totally unacceptable. If there is a primary against any of these guys, I will donate money to their opponents.

Gingrich on a couch with Pelosi. “Right wing social engineering” – I consider that much worse than “heartless”.

But Gingrich, like Perry, has a record of conservative governance, so I’d support either of them. Cain is going to get O’Donnell’ed (i.e., made to look like a nutty neophyte), like Angle, Miller and Buck, because he has no record.

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Punchenko on November 1, 2011 at 10:21 PM

You can make the same argument about Florida in regards to Romney lambasting Perry over Ponzi scheme comments. My point was, Gingrich isnt perfect.

nswider on November 1, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:16 PM

What he said about Ryans Plan.

nswider on November 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Fine, thanks, that pretty well is what I said his position was as to Ryan’s budget in my earlier comments (Gingrich saying it was too severe a change in spending, etc.).

Ryan’s Budget, also, is an idealized concept, few would ever consider it “workable” by our political system or through it but as, instead, a great roadmap to strive for. Gingrich seems to be saying about that same thing.

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Appearing increasingly like Cain felt up woman after getting bombed at business outing. This is what toast looks like.

andy85719 on November 1, 2011 at 9:49 PM

So… Herman?… you, uh, say ya can’t recall whether someone went to a hotel room with you or not, huh?

Can’t remember? Mmm-hmmm.

Tell us Herman… are there a lot of… what shall we call them???… episodes?… yes, we’ll call them episodes… are there a lot of these episodes in your past? Episodes where you “can’t recall” important facts? Episodes where you… what shall we call it?… black out
(can we call it that without being racist?)…

Episodes where you black out, maybe from consumption of alcohol?

This will not end well…

JohnGalt23 on November 1, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on November 1, 2011 at 10:18 PM

What is his track record that makes you give him the benefit of the doubt? I give it to him to a degree, but not as much as I do to Gingrich and Perry – because of their track records. I am afraid that his lack of track record makes him open to these types of attacks (it doesn’t help that he continues to say things that perpetuate this meme).

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Well, if Cain’s as incurably stupid as his critics assert, the others ought to wipe the floor with him, oughtn’t they?

KingGold on November 1, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Most of his critics aren’t asserting that he’s stupid- he’s clearly a smart guy given his background. The problem is a lack of preparation, not intelligence.

Jon0815 on November 1, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Okay Allah,
Two things:
One, Ace has admitted to being “anti-Cain.”
Two, you expect me to believe that Cain, a man who worked for the Department of the Navy for 6 years as a ballistics analyst doesn’t know that China has nuclear weapons?

Deanna on November 1, 2011 at 10:25 PM

allahpundit Allah Pundit
Video: Cain accuser’s lawyer says NRA board member might have leaked story twurl.nl/kztw1j

LOL

Knucklehead on November 1, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:23 PM

At the time he said it, he was crucified for it, Im not the only one who took it as trashing Ryan, he had to walk it back immediately.

nswider on November 1, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Hey Herman. Can you hear that?

It’s the fat lady singing.

huckleberryfriend on November 1, 2011 at 10:25 PM

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:21 PM

I’m not “pathetic” nor is what I wrote “pathetic” nor was I “trying to rationalize” anything about Gingrich.

Maybe referring to your comments as “looney” would satisfy your screed needs for tonight?

Seriously, take a breath.

What Gingrich did was practical. Practical politics. I already said I considered it offensive, which was me NOT “trying to rationalize it”.

But I UNDERSTAND why he did what he did. He had his eye on the House Majority for the GOP. A bad move by Gingrich but that was the goal and that was a respectable and good goal to have.

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Trying to defend him on that point reduces your credibility; I think he was wrong and I think that he meant what he said. But I trust him on the whole to take us in the right direction. I trust Perry more, though. I do not trust Romney one tiny little bit.

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:27 PM

It’s not logical for you to disparage the captain in this way.

massrighty on November 1, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I was going to say something about the Spoc-like character already in the WH, but I prefer to make it to my next birthday.

BobMbx on November 1, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Can we move on from this guy? Please.

joepub on November 1, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Sorry. It seems the lease on the mule will be extended.

katy the mean old lady on November 1, 2011 at 10:27 PM

jeebus
he’s dumb as a bucket of rocks.

james23 on November 1, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:25 PM

We could have a Senate super-majority of Crists … oh what a wonderful world that would be ..

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Cain is not stupid. He worked for the U. S. Navy as a Rocket Scientist. He has a Masters in Computer Science. Does anyone really believe he doesn’t know what China has?

JamesonLewis3rd on November 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:23 PM

nswider on November 1, 2011 at 10:25 PM

But, the reality is, Gingrich DID NOT “trash Ryan,” he addressed the budget changes Ryan was proposing — not at all the same thing as “trashing Ryan.”

Do you not see there how “fringe” some people become and how distorted issues get and quickly by gossip and competition and sometimes just plain old irrational people?

Alleging Gingrich “trashed Ryan” is an ugly lie, it’s irrational. And it’s not what Gingrich did, though he was conscientious to later try to assist the fringe among us who claimed he was.

He was referring to the budget specifics, both politically and practically. Politically, there’s no way on Earth that Ryan’s budget could take effect, not with the Congress as it is. Gingrich seems to have been focused on the practical methods involved with reducing spending, not the Disney-movie that imagined spending would be magically reduced.

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:29 PM

JamesonLewis3rd on November 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I know a lot of MS and PhD scientists that I think are idiots. I’m not a lefty – degrees don’t really impress me. Not that I’m saying that Cain is an idiot – I think that he misspoke here – but it plays nicely into the MBM narrative (unfortunately).

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:30 PM

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Yeah, we passed “benefit of the doubt” a loooong time ago… it was fine to use it for his first foreign policy gaffe — not knowing what Right of Return is — but then there was him saying he would have no plan until after he was elected, that he had nothing to say that would stop Iran this year, that he would consider giving up all of out GITMO prisoners, that he didn’t know if the US recognized Taiwan, & there’s more. Now this.

Aslans Girl on November 1, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:29 PM

You arent understanding the context at that time. Ryan was being torn apart by the left for his budget, he bravely went out there and tried to fix this mess. Then he gets hit from our side as being to extreme fueling the left. Google it, seriously, it was a huge deal.

nswider on November 1, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Jon0815 on November 1, 2011 at 10:24 PM

No, a lot of them think he’s a plain ol’ dummy. Ace has referred to him as a “f***ing dumbass” at least twice in his writing.

KingGold on November 1, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:29 PM

He made sure that the chances of any plan looking like Ryan’s went from slim to none. His position was, quite simply, wrong and indefensible. Which is why he walked it back. As he should have.

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:25 PM

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Yes, you can really survive on your glass that is empty, can’t you?

I can’t stand Crist but an “all Crist majority” would be preferable to an all-PeteStark majority.

I doubt strongly that Gingrich would find an “all Crist majority” acceptable, either.

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:32 PM

The other thing about Palin/Paul ’12 is that together they represent the lions share of tea partiers, IMO.

FloatingRock on November 1, 2011 at 10:06 PM

That is probably true.

JohnGalt23 on November 1, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM

This was a blip in Cain’s career. Inconsequential because the charges were baseless. He left it to his staff to handle it. I don’t find it hard to believe that he doesn’t recall all the false charges made against him, accusing him of harassment!

milemarker2020 on November 1, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Does anyone really believe he doesn’t know what China has?

JamesonLewis3rd on November 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Punchenko on November 1, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:29 PM

In negotiations, do you like to start from a position of weakness? Do you start with what you hope to get and then move off of that? Or do you start from what you dream of getting and negotiate from there? You must be a stellar negotiator …

Also, I surmise that you support Romney given your tendency to call conservatives who support the Ryan plan “fringe” – they like to play that card.

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:29 PM

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Now you’re actually promoting Gingrich as Superman.

He didn’t do all that you allege in one big swoop or even a little one, his words seem straightforward to me (that you were intent enough to reprint earlier), not at all confusing, not “damning” of any changes or ruinous of Ryan, not at all, but a practical address to some practical obstacles and problems.

I realize you find Gingrich loathesome but is there something you have to add that’s contributory instead? Ryan’s budget wouldn’t pass our Congress, not in parts, not in whole, that’s about what Gingrich was expressing. He certainly did not say that no spending reductions should occur in any budget, which is what it seems you have some need to think otherwise.

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Aslans Girl on November 1, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Yeah, that was more a rhetorical statement on the double standard of the press than our moral goal posts.

Cindy Munford on November 1, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Common.

Obama is great!

How many of you knew that Austrians speak Austrian?

Answer: none.

Obama is super smart!

MikeM on November 1, 2011 at 10:35 PM

KingGold on November 1, 2011 at 10:31 PM

That’s some brilliant journalism/

Knucklehead on November 1, 2011 at 10:36 PM

KingGold on November 1, 2011 at 10:31 PM
Ace has admitted to being “anti-Cain,” But then Ace also posted the article about Free Republic purging Romney supporters. Is Ace turning into JimRob? Will we see purges and thons? LOL

Deanna on November 1, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:29 PM

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:35 PM

You continue to misrepresent everything I write. It’s sad to read and witness.

When you can read what others write and then discuss it, come back and pose more of those rhetorical questions of yours. Until then, you’re chewing your own feet.

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:37 PM

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:32 PM

His position was correct. You don’t hand the Democrats ammunition to use in the General Election and hurt the nominee and those running to unseat donk Senators. Newt knows what he is doing.

Punchenko on November 1, 2011 at 10:37 PM

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Ohhh, riiiggght, I just left Allah’s secret Lizardpeople meeting with Ace and all the Bib Banking lobbyists in our special saucer in the sky…

When you come down from whatever is affecting your perceptual abilities, let me know.

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Really, would it? Are those my only options? You have a depressing willingness to surrender prematurely.

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:39 PM

When you listen to the interview for yourself (again think for yourself and stop accepting force fed info from others), you can’t come to the conclusion Allapundit tries to push in this post about his response on China. It’s ambiguous at worst when the transcript suggest he separated nuclear capability and aircraft carrier with an “and.” I heard “in”. But I leave it to you all to decide.

milemarker2020 on November 1, 2011 at 10:40 PM

And the useless Cain threads keep coming. It’s pretty clear the nuclear capability he was referring to was in reference to aircraft carriers.

MisterPundit on November 1, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Is your comment supposed to make sense? I think that you’ve been taking linguistic tips from Perry and Cain.

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Might it have been because Cain was not supposed to discuss the case and not even that they had signed a confidentiality agreement? He was stuck between defending himself and possiblity violating that confidentiality agreement or saying nothing and make the story get bigger and people say he has no leadership.

Great work Politico/ MSM! Liberals 1 GOP nominee 0. Throw basic crap and NOW the case reignites pretty much about nothing. Great to see so many people fell for it here too.

This is far more important than the economy and the destruction of our republic.

Cheers!

MikeM on November 1, 2011 at 10:41 PM

JamesonLewis3rd on November 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Cain haters aren’t bothered with facts like that

blatantblue on November 1, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Very funny. You clearly have your own made up meaning of what the words you and others speak mean. Did you project your hopes and dreams onto Obama in 2008 too?

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Is it ironic that our affirmative action candidate is not up to date on news from 1964?

lorien1973 on November 1, 2011 at 9:21 PM

What an asnine remark. Shame on you.

TriciaNC on November 1, 2011 at 10:43 PM

KingGold on November 1, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Deanna on November 1, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Freerepublic is hardly an example of reasonable congregations. And Ace is unpredictably and needlessly crass on more than a few occasions. But everyone has a vote, if they’re registered and a citizen and the internet isn’t well known for high traffic to reasonable websites but to those who have more fringe than fine weave.

But Freerepublic has long burned with hatred for Romney that goes way beyond anything reasonable or even appropriate. It’s not an indication of a well-balanced environment. And Ace, well, he satisfies a certain hunger in some but the site (Ace and his cowriter) are what I’d call “not gentlemen” and weirdly crude when it’s not even necessary.

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:43 PM

MisterPundit on November 1, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Correct.

In fact, Politico is working on a story right now that Cain doesn’t even know where China is located geopgraphically (based on “several sources”).

MikeM on November 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM

STFU and get behind Cain

Look at the POLLS!

get behind Cain or its

FOUR MORE YEAAAARRSSSS! you want to here that chant in the next election with Obama all smilin and using the press..

done with this for tonight.

get a brain!

amend2 on November 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM

JamesonLewis3rd on November 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Cain haters aren’t bothered with facts like that

blatantblue on November 1, 2011 at 10:42 PM

THAT was awesome. TOUCHDOWN!

MikeM on November 1, 2011 at 10:45 PM

When I want Smart Military Blogging I go to Ace of Spades Headquarters. Speaking of nukes, nice meltdown in his own comments section yesterday.

Christien on November 1, 2011 at 10:47 PM

The stories of illness and irrational behaviors by the site and by so-called ‘moderators’ on that site are lengthy. I’d hardly find it surprising that Freerepublic “purged all Romney supporters” because to Freerepublic, if one isn’t proclaiming one’s ardent love of Sarah Palin forever and ever and ever and ever, you’ve just gotta’ be “a Romney supporter.”

They complain about Palin’s suffering and yet inflict far more of it than any Romney supporter ever has on anyone else. It’s the crises of the site’s management’s ongoing illness, that he lacks balance, and that’s putting things mildly.

Also, doesn’t Freerepublic pride itself in “not being a Republican site but a site for Independents”? I mean, that they’d “purge” and do purge user accounts over there is something they do pretty routinely due to mostly their own disturbance.

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:48 PM

milemarker2020 on November 1, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Must have been a lot of charges then…

I need to grab more popcorn… this is going to be fun. :)

TheRightMan on November 1, 2011 at 10:49 PM

milemarker2020 on November 1, 2011 at 10:40 PM

BINGO brother! Listen from around 11:50. The transcript is wrong. It’s stupid foam-at-the-mouth anti-Cain threads like this that make me an infrequent visitor to HA these days.

MisterPundit on November 1, 2011 at 10:50 PM

amend2 on November 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM

You forgot your sarc tag.

Aslans Girl on November 1, 2011 at 10:50 PM

MikeM on November 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Think of Politico like you’d think of Obama’s “Fight the Smears” site or perhaps the DNC homepage. If you remember that about Politico, then you cease being shocked or even horrified by their obvious twisted reportage and site management.

Same goes for Freerepublic but with different associations, ends up being about the same extremism but with different nametags.

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Cain is not stupid. He worked for the U. S. Navy as a Rocket Scientist.

JamesonLewis3rd on November 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM

So are you saying that rocket scientists are foreign policy experts?

FloatingRock on November 1, 2011 at 10:55 PM

milemarker2020 on November 1, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Must have been a lot of charges then…

I need to grab more popcorn… this is going to be fun. :)

TheRightMan on November 1, 2011 at 10:49 PM

If and when one is accused of crimes and/or in receipt of civil suits, you remember the details.

Unless Cain “faced” many more of such charges that he’d just “not recall all the details,” then, well, I can understand someone being overwhelmed but otherwise, his claims in that regard just make him look untrustworthy WHILE also the allegations look flimsy.

So I’ve given Cain the benefit of the doubt in this area (said as much yesterday here and elsewhere) BUT his wimpy and apparently evasive or trailing comments about this situation reveals him either unprepared or evasive or perhaps, both.

He needs to be far better prepared for scrutiny and hard questions if he wants to keep up his momentum. Claiming one “can’t remember the details from something that happened twelve years ago” would make sense if we were talking about a grocery shopping trip to his local market but not about lawsuits or allegations of sexual harassment, things that affect one’s career like that, of a legal nature.

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Cain is not stupid. He worked for the U. S. Navy as a Rocket Scientist.

JamesonLewis3rd on November 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM

What does ‘Rocket Scientist’ Mean?

In reality, there actaully ARE no “rocket scientists”…there are engineers, there are physicists, there are combustion specialists, there are mathematicians and tactical engineers, but no “rocket scientists”.

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:58 PM

YouTube: “What is Rocket Science?

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I realize you find Gingrich loathesome

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:35 PM

I don’t. Perry and Gingrich are my top choices. I just don’t see the point in defending anyone’s mistakes/flaws. That is Pollyannish. All of the candidates have flaws and apostasies; we have to weigh and balance them against their record. I think that Perry and Gingrich come out on top in that analysis. I like Cain too, but I think his record is a bit thin for me to be confident in how he will govern.

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 11:03 PM

besser tot als rot on November 1, 2011 at 10:24 PM

1) He has a B.S. (no serious “jokes” about those initials allowed!) degree in mathematics, a Masters in computer science, and was proficient enough in those areas that the military employed him full-time as a ballistics analyst – how many “idiots” do you know who have that aptitude?; 2) he’s a person who’s demonstrated more than once that he knows something about turning less-than-successful businesses into successful ones; 3) he’s had many former business associates vouch for his authenticity and competence; 4) he has a good enough sense of humor to have performed “Imagine (There’s No Pizza)” the way he did.

Is that good enough for you? If not, how about this? “My career spans 38 years and I’ve worked for 26 different managers,” said Frank Taylor, a recently retired Burger King financial executive whom Cain hired as his regional controller in 1983. “Herman was far and away the best I’ve worked for in terms of getting a team together, sharing a vision and accomplishing the goals. And nothing diverted him.”

It’s my opinion that none of the other GOP candidates besides Romney would possibly be able to match and/or outdo what he’s done (sorry Gingrinch fans – he’s smart, but not in the same way Cain and Romney are. I also have seen Newt step in it so many times that I don’t have faith in him to not do so again.)

Do you believe Perry has the brain to do what Cain has done? Please, don’t make me laugh (well, ok, go ahead, if you want to :) ). You like Perry’s track record – I am not as impressed by it. He’s done some good things, but he’s also done some stupid ones, including telling lies that were as bad as Gary Hart’s and Bill Clinton’s, which automatically makes me distrust him on more than one level.

Bizarro No. 1 on November 1, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Looks like Newt’s the last Not Romney standing. Better send him money.

boko fittleworth on November 1, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Was a ballistics analyst for the USN for years

blatantblue on November 1, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Christien on November 1, 2011 at 10:47 PM

And we all saw what Ace did to Sarah Palin too.

Knucklehead on November 1, 2011 at 11:06 PM

this man is a total and utter idiot. he has no clue that China has nukes. all this while accusing O of incompetence in the way he handles the foreign policy. well, Cain is officially scarier than O, mainly because his crass ignorance on pretty much every single foreign policy issue. Can’t believe that there are people out there willing to elect this man.

jimver on November 1, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Lourdes on November 1, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Mostly it’s a cash cow for Jim and offspring. He’s better than a TV preacher at converting poster guilt to greenbacks.

a capella on November 1, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Before we throw our own guys under the bus, let’s at least try and get our facts straight. This entire thread is based on an incorrect transcript.

MisterPundit on November 1, 2011 at 11:12 PM

jimver on November 1, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Yea. He’s an utter idiot. You’re clueless.

blatantblue on November 1, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Knucklehead on November 1, 2011 at 11:06 PM

The guy has some serious issues, to say the least.

Christien on November 1, 2011 at 11:14 PM

a capella on November 1, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Yep. JimRob has had lots of purges, as I recall he called GWB a “cokehead.” But he really jumped the shark during the Terry Schiavo thing. And how does it take $300,000 a year to run that antiquated site?

Deanna on November 1, 2011 at 11:16 PM

I’m telling you, I’m not too sure about this guy.
He’s starting to sound like he’s a little slow.

We already have someone in charge who is in over his head.
We CANNOT afford another…

Fartnokker on November 1, 2011 at 11:18 PM

How many more of these relatively basic questions does he have to miss completely before Cain fans move on?

Neat to have an outsider and all, but I’d prefer an insider to an outsider that doesn’t know what to think on abortion and doesn’t know that China has nukes. What the hell is the Not-Romney crowd going to do? I don’t want Romney, someone please give me a viable candidate.

John_Locke on November 1, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Looks like this stupid post has been linked by some left-wing site grateful for the cheap shots at Cain, and lord knows cheap shots at Cain is a dime-a-dozen here. The inevitable influx of one-post “conservative” posters who pretend to be “concerned” about Cain then ensue. It’s so predictable it would have been funny if it wasn’t for the fact that these wounds are self-inflicted.

MisterPundit on November 1, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Poor Cain’s clearly not ready for prime time.

Too bad. :(

RedNewEnglander on November 1, 2011 at 11:31 PM

this man is a total and utter idiot. he has no clue that China has nukes.

jimver on November 1, 2011 at 11:07 PM

China doesn’t have Godfather’s Pizza either. They have Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Dominoes, but no Godfathers.

DarkCurrent on November 1, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Allahpundit, taking ‘data mining’ to a whole new level.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 1, 2011 at 11:36 PM

John_Locke on November 1, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Given the alternatives? An infinite number.

HitNRun on November 1, 2011 at 11:40 PM

MisterPundit on November 1, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Fake, but accurate. It was good enough for Dan Rather.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 1, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Cain’s lack of knowledge when it comes to China’s nuclear capability is troubling, especially at a time when people are still questioning whether he possesses the knowledge base required to be president.

youngTXcon on November 1, 2011 at 11:41 PM

MisterPundit on November 1, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Do you know where we can find a correct transcript?

Knucklehead on November 1, 2011 at 11:43 PM

milemarker2020 on November 1, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Good thing Hotair isn’t into writing medical drug manuals. You might die of a misprint.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 1, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Do you know where we can find a correct transcript?

Knucklehead on November 1, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Be patient. Allah is probably typing up another one right now.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 1, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Do you know where we can find a correct transcript?

Knucklehead on November 1, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Just listen to the video from around 11:50. The transcript says “They’ve indicated that they’re trying to develop nuclear capability AND that …” but he clearly says “They’ve indicated that they’re trying to develop nuclear capability IN that …”.

MisterPundit on November 1, 2011 at 11:50 PM

The more I look at the context of the interview, the less I think there’s anything to it.

When I think of a major knowledge fail, I think of Bachmann breathlessly repeating a decades old urban legend about vaccines.

If Cain really thought China was a non-nuclear power pursuing The Bomb, don’t you think he’d be a bit more worked up about it than mentioning it as a lead-in sentence to the navy?

Nobody says about Iran, “We already have superiority in terms of our military capability, and I plan to get away from making cutting our defense a priority and make investing in our military capability a priority, going back to my statement: peace through strength and clarity. So yes they’re a military threat. They’ve indicated that they’re trying to develop nuclear capability and they want to develop more aircraft carriers like we have. So yes, we have to consider them a military threat.”

HitNRun on November 1, 2011 at 11:53 PM

I listened to the video and the transcript is correct.

They’ve indicated that they’re trying to develop nuclear capability and…(he pauses) they want to develop more aircraft carriers like we have.

sharrukin on November 1, 2011 at 11:56 PM

It is starting to look like we’re all going to need to wear clothespins to the voting booth, no matter who gets the nomination.

Laura in Maryland on November 2, 2011 at 12:01 AM

John_Locke on November 1, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Well, you still got drunk (or coked out) Perry.

haner on November 2, 2011 at 12:02 AM

“Relative to foreign policy, I don’t need to know the details of every one of the issues we face. “We’ve got plenty of experts who can fill in the details,” Cain said at …
Scarry!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont want a President who is not up to snuff on foreign policy in this day and age!!

Bullhead on November 2, 2011 at 12:02 AM

He just is not ready for this.

They are going to tear him down and turn him into an idiot just like they did to Palin.

WisCon on November 2, 2011 at 12:03 AM

I listened to the video and the transcript is correct.

sharrukin on November 1, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Whatever flats your boat (or aircraft carrier, in this case). The transcript is wrong, period. Every single person that listened to it at work heard IN. We’re actually have a bit of fun with this here, and not all of us are cons. Good times.

MisterPundit on November 2, 2011 at 12:03 AM

MisterPundit on November 1, 2011 at 11:50 PM

I listened and you’re absolutely right.

How about a retraction AP? But I won’t hold my breath.

Knucklehead on November 2, 2011 at 12:03 AM

He just is not ready for this.

WisCon on November 2, 2011 at 12:03 AM