We need to talk about that “Walking Dead” ending last night

posted at 9:51 pm on October 31, 2011 by Allahpundit

Because I dumped on the show a few weeks ago, and in honor of the holiday, a thread to make amends by tousling their hair for that nifty curveball they threw us at the end of last night’s episode. This season’s still waaay too talky, and the sudden prospect of a romantic subplot for someone as dull and marginal as Glenn has me shivering with dread, but Shane’s lurch towards Kurtz-dom means we’re now guaranteed at least one interesting character to watch, finally. Strange though it may seem, there aren’t many examples in the zombie canon of people cracking under stress. One would think coping with the global undead cannibal apocalypse would drive a good chunk of the population around the bend fairly quickly, but no: Everyone in the Romero movies is pretty chill and grounded with the notable exception of Barbara going catatonic in “Night of the Living Dead.” Now, at long last, we’ve got another person melting down from the pressure and, unlike Barbara, this guy is capable of anything — murder (he pointed his rifle at Rick last season), rape (he assaulted Rick’s wife at the CDC), you name it. Right now he’s the only thing standing between us and a solid hour of Rick and Lori working through their marriage issues, Andrea and Dale easing into an ersatz father/daughter relationship, and Glenn and the farmgirl picking daisies and philosophizin’ about God. You’re our only hope for entertainment, Shane. At the rate we’re going, if this guy doesn’t go on a series-changing rampage, the writers will figure out a way to make the zombies talk and then they’ll start working out their marriage issues.

Here’s a highlight reel from last night. The curveball with Otis comes at the very end. I figure there are only two paths for Shane now as he turns increasingly ruthless and freaky deaky. One: A la Darth Vader, he’ll redeem himself at the very end by recovering his moral bearings and sacrificing his life so that the group can live. Knowing how these writers love melodrama, there’ll even be a weepy death scene with Rick leaning over him while Shane whispers, “Ah did what ah had ta do.” Two: He goes full-blown nuts and starts killing members of the group, taking hostages, etc, and has to be terminated by the reluctant hero. Shane as Kurtz, Rick as Willard. The horror. The horror. Exit question: Er, why didn’t Shane at least shoot Otis in the head? No need to let the man suffer, jackass.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Shaun of the Dead ended all arguments over best zombie media.

mythicknight on October 31, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Because Otis’s cries and flailing would draw more attention to the zombies.

I was shocked at Shane. I didn’t see that coming at all. I actually said “Oh sh*t!” outloud and got the stink eye from my wife.

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Another Zombie Penguin movie??
Maybe I have that backwards.

Electrongod on October 31, 2011 at 9:55 PM

There had been some salary cuts at Walking dead because of Mad Men, and I’ve heard they had to cut a major character out of the show this season.

I think you might be on to something, Allah.

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 9:59 PM

You want good zombie action, watch a stream of vids from OWS.

Bishop on October 31, 2011 at 9:59 PM

On the Otis thing, either they were both going to die, which meant Carl would probably die too, or one of them would die and the medical supplies would get back to save Carl. So it was 3 dead vs. 1 dead, and Shane chose 1 dead. Can’t say that a blame him in this instance.

Mark1971 on October 31, 2011 at 10:00 PM

The Hades with ‘walking dead’-let’s talk about ‘living dead’…and why I HATE that film. As a matter of fact- my name IS Barbara.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 31, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Bwahahaha. +100

nickj116 on October 31, 2011 at 10:03 PM

It’s reading stuff like this that makes me think we’d really get along, AP. Let’s have a beer. Or maybe a Cosmo?

Animator Girl on October 31, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Exit question: Er, why didn’t Shane at least shoot Otis in the head?

Because the show is badly written. They thought this would be more shocking, and therefore more entertaining.

Scrutineer on October 31, 2011 at 10:05 PM

See AP, the real appeal of this series is not the zombies – so requiring them 24/7 is not the secret to a good zombie melodrama. They are not the real danger. They don’t think and can be killed by by the bushel. It actually gets old, fast. The real intrigue is who is going to do what next.

And in the department, the real threat is from each other – especially Merle. He only has one hand and he’s not going to let that slide.

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Allah, I crapped on you last week for crapping on the show— I was in the defense of the show’s character development superseding wanton zombie-killing—but, the Shane “twist” ending aside, I loathed last night’s episode and totally got where you were coming from. Too many stupid go-for-the-Emmy gold monologues (“Do you believe in God?” “What is out there for us?” “Do you choose to live or die?”) and just weird-ass production (the bizarre music during the ER-meets-Little-House-on-the-Prairie operating scene). If the season continues as is, it’ll be one of the biggest TV disappoints in a long time— the first season was so smart and gripping.

Pasalubong on October 31, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Shaun of the Dead ended all arguments over best zombie media.

mythicknight on October 31, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Surely you jest…Zombieland was the culmination of the Zombie genre

DrW on October 31, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Mark1971 on October 31, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Remind me to never take a road trip with you.

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Good point, can’t argue with that logic.

However, you forgot to mention, before that, Shane left his best friend in a hospital helpless, started bumping nasties with Rick’s wife after telling her that her husband was dead, and made a feeble attempt at rape of that same Rick’s wife, in just the first season.

Shane has been on this slide for a while, it’s only escalating. I think Shane is just getting warmed up, and Rick will be the last one to see it. Shane is good until at least season 4.

They all can’t be selfless good guy’s, that more unbelievable than a zombie apocolypse.

Hog Wild on October 31, 2011 at 10:06 PM

In the zombie canon, the walking dead like their prey live and kicking. As a motionless corpse, Otis would hold little interest for them. It’s a theory, anyway.

Some real predators are like that. Tarantulas won’t eat already dead prey, for example. My late and much-lamented tarantula Betty would turn her pretty nose up at a dead cricket. Only live crickets would do.

troyriser_gopftw on October 31, 2011 at 10:06 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 31, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I liked the first Romero film (1968) but a lot of his later films were rather bad. The 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead wasn’t his and it was good. Tried watching Survival of the Dead last week. It was excruciatingly bad.

sharrukin on October 31, 2011 at 10:08 PM

A few months ago, Kurt Sutter was complaining on his blog that Mad Men was getting all the network money resulting in Walking Dead and other shows getting short changed in the writing department.

Blake on October 31, 2011 at 10:08 PM

sharrukin on October 31, 2011 at 10:08 PM

My dopehead brother the Naderite is a terrific mimic and when I was a teenager he’d sneak up behind me and hiss that stupid line into my ear.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 31, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Cuban zombies who drive T-72′s and fly Hind attack choppers, now THAT would make for a good series.

All my armageddon fantasies come to life.

Bishop on October 31, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Is anyone else getting tired of that blonde lady being all pissy with the RV guy because he stopped her from killing herself?

“You took my choice away!”.

Boo freakin’ who.

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Too much hating on that show from people here and friends o’mine

Stop expecting a slaughterfest. It isn’t one.

blatantblue on October 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Shane is actually s tarting to be the character he is in the comic book. You suckers thinking he wasn’t a self serving prick.

StoutRepublican on October 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM

This is just not true…recalling crazy Prescient Dreamer Guy digging holes all day long above the gravel pit lake the day before the Zombie attack on the camp there…

Recalling the psycho sister with the gun cradling the dying Zombie-Bit sister in her arms, quickly aiming that gun at anyone who tried to interrupt the psycho sister’s grief-embrace of the infected sister…

Recalling the guy who set up the sniper nest in the second floor house for purposes of ending his Now-A-Zombie-Wife’s misery outside when next she shuffled near…

Not to mention the guy left on the roof who hacked off his own hand in desperation to escape the impending Zombie-or-Starvation death there on the roof.

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I felt bad for Otis, but this was the best episode of the season. And yes his wailing and screaming added to the distraction.

rob verdi on October 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I think y’all gotta have a little patience.

First season was short. They can go more balls the wall.

Longer season, gotta build things up. Let it be. Enjoy the wait. Night of the Living Dead did that.

blatantblue on October 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Morgan is gonna come back, hillbilly brother is gonna come back

It’ll be good

blatantblue on October 31, 2011 at 10:14 PM

That’s a highlight reel?

Sorry but I think I’ll stick with American Horror Story.

The Ugly American on October 31, 2011 at 10:15 PM

I still have a hard time swallowing people wanting to commit suicide after struggling to survive. Even worse, when the mother contemplates allowing her son to die.

I don’t mind talking when it’s a-la Tarantino. When it’s nothing more than filler it becomes mind numbing. None of the characters seem very perceptive, and the conversations are shallow at best. Might as well shoot some more zombies than subject us to insipid conversation.

Andrea needs to go, what a boring waste of time she has turned out to be. The black guy sees everything as racist even when he’s been carried by the rest of the tribe. Why even bother carrying such a moron. Put a black fist on a tee shirt and have him wear it.

Rick and the red neck are pretty much the only one’s with a clue, and not much of one.

Rode Werk on October 31, 2011 at 10:17 PM

When Otis and Shane got into the medical trailer, why didn’t they save a few flares to throw out to distract the zombies? He threw them to distract them to get into the trailer. Did he think they were just going to let them walk out of there?

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:17 PM

The same reason Capt. Kathryn Janeway didn’t destroy the array with photon torpedoes to detonate after they got back?

SouthernGent on October 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

These maudlin, nearly sappy vignettes, I agree, don’t work and are misleading as to the entire series. They should be much shorter, much more succinct; however, they do provide character and story plots to develop but they should be more succinct and far less protracted.

I like Season 2 so far and last night’s Episode was disturbing of an additional nature, you’re right. This series is the first one on t.v. that has ever left me with after-affects, but last night’s left me depressed, additionally — I wasn’t ready for the development of the death (or, end) of Otis and how that occurred.

Now, what’s next. I think the “what’s next” is what that Episode was all about…as in, what could possibly be next?

I’m wondering the little lost girl is out there now, shuffling around in the woods and lost to the infection.

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 10:19 PM

At least Shane is starting to be the type of character he is in the comic….

I wrote this once before but I think my language blocked it. :(

StoutRepublican on October 31, 2011 at 10:19 PM

“You took my choice away!”.

Boo freakin’ who.

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:12 PM

My thoughts exactly. I would just hand her a gun and tell her to get it done already.

sharrukin on October 31, 2011 at 10:20 PM

That girl that ran off into the woods sure has caused alot of trouble.

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:21 PM

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Another example of sloppy writing. Also, they made a big stink last year about how the zombies are more active at night and everyone needs to stick together to survive, and yet Daryl and Andrea go into the scary woods at night and Dale walks off by himself, leaving Carol alone. Hoo-kay…

Pasalubong on October 31, 2011 at 10:21 PM

We need to talk about that “Walking Dead” ObamaZombieVoterBots
Coming to an End in the 2012 Election,

and the Stake through the Hearts,of Progressive/FrankenStein/Tards!!

canopfor on October 31, 2011 at 10:21 PM

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:17 PM

This Series is not well known for being accurate to details.

Why didn’t the guys just smear themselves again with Zombie-Juice? It worked in Atlanta, no reason it wouldn’t work for one hour running from a trailer.

But the lack of “care” (if it can be called that, given the emergency situations) of the Zombie-Juice really annoys me: all that blood, infectious material, little regard by the survivors about it so far.

WHAT I THINK IS that they’re all already infected but just taking longer to develope as Zombies. Maybe that’s what the CDC-doctor whispered in Rick’s ear when they left the CDC before it was destroyed? The doc. DID say earlier that he didn’t find anything “surprising” in their blood test, “nothing that wasn’t expected” said with certain doom in his voice.

So I think what he found there was what he expected: everyone’s already infected…

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM

We need to talk about that “Walking Dead” ObamaZombieVoterBots
Coming to an End in the 2012 Election,

and the Stake through the Hearts,of Progressive/FrankenStein/Tards!!

canopfor on October 31, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Scenario:

Obama & Hillary are in the same situation as Shane & Otis.

Which one leaves the other for the Zombies as bait to buy them time?

Barry or Hillary?

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I’d like to know why someone hasn’t tried getting a tank running, no crowd of zombies is going to stop one of those.

Bishop on October 31, 2011 at 10:25 PM

That girl that ran off into the woods sure has caused alot of trouble.

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Yes, there’s no reason she should not have been found by now or run back to her mother on the road. Either she’s been carried off by someone else, or, she’s a Zombie now.

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM

My guess at the time was that the doctor told Rick that his wife was pregnant.

Mark1971 on October 31, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Whoa. You just blew my mind.

Seriously, thats an awesome plot twist.

This show better not lead me down the path of another show. I am almost thinking they might actually come across a hatch in the ground and Matthew Fox crawls out and tells them he was in a Plane Crash, and was on an island….

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:27 PM

The Zombie in the tree was the best part of that episode.

batterup on October 31, 2011 at 10:27 PM

My guess at the time was that the doctor told Rick that his wife was pregnant.

Mark1971 on October 31, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Watch it be Shane’s!

Wow. This is turning into a Peyton Zombie Place.

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I just keep wondering why no one has built a flame thrower for crowd control…not “big” thinkers in that group. Molotovs anyone?

Alinsky on October 31, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I wonder what’s going to happen with Daryl when his brother shows up again. Who is he going to side with?

Mark1971 on October 31, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Alinsky on October 31, 2011 at 10:30 PM

You have to take out the head of a zombie. You light up a zombie and he becomes a human torch still coming for you.

sharrukin on October 31, 2011 at 10:32 PM

IF that’s the case, then there is no point to saving the boy’s life… he’s (un)dead already.

Neo-con Artist on October 31, 2011 at 10:32 PM

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:27 PM

It will be worse. Eventually when the show runs out of money, they will have to end it quick. So the final episode is Rick waking from his gunshot-induced coma to discover it was all just a dream.

Then as he takes a drink of water, his zombie wife rushes in to eat his face.

The End.

Bishop on October 31, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Raspberry’s to y’all. I like the show, and the pace. If we were all smart though, we would record the whole season then do other things until the end.

I did see it coming. One guy had to get away for the kid’s sake and the bear joke had to be fit in a zombie movie somewhere.

The suicide did get me though.

Heck on wheels looks like it will be good. I miss Deadwood.

cozmo on October 31, 2011 at 10:35 PM

sharrukin on October 31, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Brain barbecue.

Alinsky on October 31, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Alinsky on October 31, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Yeah! And where’s the mini-gun? Did the zobies eat all the automatic weapons?

Rovin on October 31, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Rode Werk on October 31, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Yes, I agree. But earlier characters Earl was about as real as I’d imagine some would be with the situations in effect and the series should really reintroduce the character (and actor) again.

Also character “Morgan” played by actor, Lennie James, gotta’ get him back into the story (this is the character who set up the sniper nest waiting to zap his Now-A-Zombie Wife).

ALSO, character Merle Dixon played by actor Michael Rooker (“redneck” older brother of continued character Daryl Dixon, cross-bow expert, also redneck).

Rooker’s performance so far in the series has been the best of all of them, his character reacting the most realistically, too.

HERE’S the full, main cast with character names for anyone who may be confused about what’s being discussed and who.

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Just had a couple of Zombies at the front door. They wanted Candy.

I survived.

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Brain barbecue.

Alinsky on October 31, 2011 at 10:35 PM

How long does that take? I for one do not really care for the idea of 20 flaming zombies chasing me down the street while I keep checking my watch in the frantic hope that their brains are going to be done soon. Would make for Great Television though.

sharrukin on October 31, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Walking Dead needs a Bishop to deal with the zombie riff-raff.

Gang-of-One on October 31, 2011 at 10:41 PM

The reality is that after a month or more of someone being a zombie, they wouldn’t exist. Maggots consume dead flesh. Flies lay the eggs right away, and the maggots eat everything up, brain and all. Maggots, bacteria and other insects consume dead material immediately. That’s how nature cleans up.

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 10:42 PM

My guess at the time was that the doctor told Rick that his wife was pregnant.

Mark1971 on October 31, 2011 at 10:27 PM

And Shane is the father.

El_Terrible on October 31, 2011 at 10:43 PM

sharrukin on October 31, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Even a zombie wouldn’t be able to see, hear, or navigate if it was engulfed in flames. The flamer thrower would be the end of them all. Which is why the writers must avoid the flamer thrower at all costs.

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Zombies are gay. But regardless, wouldn’t it make sense under the stupid premise of global apocalypse by zombie (Seriously, if I get to pick an apocalypse it would be apocalypse by zombie. They are just too easy to deal with.) those still left alive would be the hardest of hard a$$es?

NotCoach on October 31, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Alinsky on October 31, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Fire doesn’t scare zombies away. They’ll still come after you while they’re on fire.

El_Terrible on October 31, 2011 at 10:45 PM

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I’ve been wondering how long a zombie would be around before they just completely fell apart from rotting.

But with the whole first season equaling a week 1/2, I imagine they could get 4 or more years out of the show.

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Big fan… but Shane and Rick have the same acting shtick… the looking off to the side while making a point and then quickly shifting back to eye contact… then starting the process over.

It can be annoying after a while.

mankai on October 31, 2011 at 10:45 PM

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Reality? really? Its a zombie show. Why are you bringing reality into this.

Maybe the feds should just cancel all remaining zombies as being to dangerous to the public.

cozmo on October 31, 2011 at 10:45 PM

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Yeps.

El_Terrible on October 31, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM

My guess at the time was that the doctor told Rick that his wife was pregnant.

Mark1971 on October 31, 2011 at 10:27 PM

I dunno…that CDC doc was already well out there past grief and shock and well situated in despair and doom.

So his statement when asked by Rick about the blood test results, “nothing there that wasn’t expected,” said by the Doc with a gloomy degree of bleak sarcasm, seemed to communicate something of the Worst Snark Imaginable.

Well, but, you’re right, could have included the news of a pregnancy, but why the whisper and only to Rick? Rick, leader of the group, the Doc. whispered to him whatever he did ONLY AS Rick yelled out to the group that they were leaving, contradicting the Doc.’s decision of doom and self-destruction.

So it seemed like an effort by the Doc to hurt Rick in resentment. Seems likely, is my point, that the Doc was telling Rick, who still had hope of survival (thus, leaving the CDC and the destruction device there), that the Doc was foiling Rick’s survival mode by telling him of more doom to come.

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 10:47 PM

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 10:44 PM

They wouldn’t be able to walk either cause they’re like dead.

sharrukin on October 31, 2011 at 10:48 PM

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:45 PM

I’m keeping up with the comics, and its been over a year since the outbreak, but the zombies haven’t fallen apart. Unrealistic as heck, but so are zombies.

El_Terrible on October 31, 2011 at 10:49 PM

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Yeps.

El_Terrible on October 31, 2011 at 10:46 PM

No, the reality would be that there would be a lot of Zombie Maggots and then a lot of Zombie Flies and then more Zombies everywhere.

What with the Zombie-infection being highly transmissable by bodily fluids. Flies eat the Zombies, become Zombies, turn into Zombie Flies who then bite the other animals, turn everyone into Zombies…

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Ya, what is with running around in a broken RV? Get a tank and a couple of APC’s. I mean even a child can figure out how to siphon a truck for diesel, and if the producers were smart enough they could figure out how to make bio-diesel? Think of the AGW goodness that would add to the series.

But then again, the movie has made it pretty obvious the characters are dumber than the zombies.

They kind of had it figured out in the first series when the used a car and alarm to run the zombies in circles. Even dogs are smart enough to remember what works.

Rode Werk on October 31, 2011 at 10:49 PM

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:45 PM

It’s the “magic” of how viruses and bacteria remain alive throughout time. The most aggressive destroy their hosts, so one would think initially they’d perish along with their hosts.

But their process is: they infect the host who they keep alive “just long enough” to then infect other potential hosts. The first hosts perish, then the later-infected shuffle around, then perish but they infect others before they do, ad infinitum, down through time.

I guess the concept of Zombies is the same: some become Zombies, eventually degenerate into immobility and then nothingness (brain eventually decomposes), but not before others are later infected, process continues as long as there are viable potential hosts to be infected.

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 10:52 PM

canopfor on October 31, 2011 at 10:21 PM
Scenario:

Obama & Hillary are in the same situation as Shane & Otis.

Which one leaves the other for the Zombies as bait to buy them time?

Barry or Hillary?

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:24 PM

portlandon:Too funny,lol!:)

canopfor on October 31, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Actually the zombie virus only infects humans.

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Other than the ending, that episode reminded me of when I used to stretch a half page term paper into 10 pages. I mean was it running real-time or what? Booooring.

matd on October 31, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Rode Werk on October 31, 2011 at 10:49 PM

I’ve thought about that. There are probably alot of new RV’s they could acquire out there.

I am thinking there might be a large city like “Thunderdome” (from Mad Max movies) out there, all barricaded up and run by a “council” of do gooders that eventually rule by brutal force. Some will stay, others will want to leave.

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Rode Werk on October 31, 2011 at 10:49 PM

I know, I spent the entire first Season shaking my head as to why the survivors tolerated such broken vehicles. I mean, all of Atlanta is now a Zombie, gotta’ be a whole lot of fine vehicles left available for the taking.

The Series doesn’t make a lot of sense when you analyze it on “How To Survive a Biological Disaster”.

What irritates me so much is how they all ignore the obvious infectious nature of all that Zombie Juice. Especially in Season ! (“Guts”) when they covered themselves in Zombie Juice to avoid detection by the Atlanta Zombies, without so much as a care for the gunk being highly infectious and a mortal threat.

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 10:56 PM

People actually watch that sh1t?

darwin-t on October 31, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I’ll see your freaky and raise you a deaky.

Aghori Sadhus eating human flesh.

(Major content warning)

Christien on October 31, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Actually the zombie virus only infects humans.

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Well, I don’t know about that. All the victims of the Zombies are consumed by the Zombies (remember the woodchuck found in the guts of the Zombie in the Woods). So we haven’t really seen that theory tested yet (that only humans are infected).

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 10:58 PM

matd on October 31, 2011 at 10:55 PM

This season is moving incredibly slowly. I have a feeling they’re going to spend the entire season at the farm, and if so, that sucks. Didn’t like it in the comics either.

El_Terrible on October 31, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Reality? really? Its a zombie show. Why are you bringing reality into this.

cozmo on October 31, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Because the very premise the writers use for their story is self-contradictory. They invoke the science of viruses to explain the zombies, but then conveniently ignore all other science which would invalidate the premise. The premise doesn’t work by its own design. I’m not criticizing the lack of science, I’m criticizing the lack of logic.

The only zombie premise that actually makes sense is 28 days later, where the zombies are still living. That premise is actually logical and in fact, theoretically possible.

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 10:59 PM

uhm. First of all this show is based off the comic or graphic novel, so nothing is a “curve ball” just read that and you’ll know what’s going to occur. Unless i’m wrong and it’s slightly different. Anyhow the reason he didn’t shoot him in the head is because zombies don’t go for DEAD people. He has to still be kicking since they for one thing only have the sense of hearing.

BrianVII on October 31, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 10:58 PM

I’m speaking of zombie canon. At any rate, zombies couldn’t actually be zombies, even if there was a way to keep a brain functioning via a virus. The fact that dead people don’t walk around is only one reason why zombies can’t exist. There are many more reasons than that.

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 11:02 PM

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:56 PM

And a Mr. Goodwrench too, with his diagnostic equipment. And a tanker truck to keep the tanks and APC’s gassed up.

I’ll take a nice old Bronco or Cherokee and a tricked out AR-15 chambered in 7.62 (maybe one in 9mm too). Add in a compound with high stone walls and I’m ready to go find my Eve.

cozmo on October 31, 2011 at 11:03 PM

portlandon on October 31, 2011 at 10:45 PM

In his zombie books, Max Brooks explains it away by claiming no living thing–fly, maggot, microorganism, what have you–will go near a zombie. Flesh rots because it’s nature’s smorgasbord. If nothing feeds on it, it won’t rot.

And then of course zombies don’t rot because they’re fictional beings, characters in a story, it’s in the script. Which isn’t to say there shouldn’t be some reasonable explanation for the viewer or reader, if only to help maintain the suspension of disbelief that makes genre stuff interesting.

troyriser_gopftw on October 31, 2011 at 11:03 PM

I agree with “keep the change” Although if you could further elaborate on what science they are ignoring? Just curious. There are about 900 things i can think of that don’t make any logical sense at all…Such as them not being fully decayed into pure skeletons by now…

BrianVII on October 31, 2011 at 11:04 PM

People actually watch that sh1t?

darwin-t on October 31, 2011 at 10:57 PM

One Episode is like eating potato chips: you have to have another.

I didn’t set out to like this Series but after watching the first Episode, the rest have been a draw.

The Second Season premiere was great. Started an exciting new Season. But last night’s (third episode of Season 2) was a bummer, moreso than any before. Too much drawn-out rambling drama between lone couples of characters and now this anti-hero emergence. Disturbing.

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Wondering about the “science” in this Series and the entire Zombie genre is like trying to figure out where all the high-tech equipment with replacement parts and new clothes come from in TERRA NOVA.

Only humans can go back in time in TERRA NOVA yet there they are, back in time with a luxurious array of fine equipment, ongoing supply of new, trendy clothes, guns, vehicles…

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Another inconsistency is that they eat. A zombie, being dead, has no metabolism. They have no bodily functions. Without that, there is no digestion. Without digestion, after a big meal, their stomach would fill up. The next meal would fill up the esophagus, and then the third meal wouldn’t have anywhere else to go.

Without metabolic function, of course, there would be no energy source for propulsion, so all the walking and running they do is inconsistent with the premise of a dead person. In fact, nothing a zombie does makes any sense in a world governed by chemistry and physics, which according to the writers, is still in effect.

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Alinsky on October 31, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Yeah! And where’s the mini-gun? Did the zobies eat all the automatic weapons?

Rovin on October 31, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Apparently, the awesome crossbow is the preferred tool of Zombie destruction because it’s noiseless, silent.

They avoid the use of guns (and, likely, the visual of fire) because they don’t want to ‘attract’ other Zombies. Once attracted, they resort to guns because they’re no longer covert to Zombies. Err, something.

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Better zombie action this week. No CGI- just cheap makeup. As opposed to last week when we are 2/3 through the show before a zombie makes a cameo.

Valiant on October 31, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Their eyes continue to see. But without being alive, the moisture and blood supply the eyes need wouldn’t exist, so they would go blind, making them not very threatening.

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 11:11 PM

If you punch the undead in the mouth and cut your hand, isn’t it the same as being bitten? Shane needs to check his knuckles for broken skin.

Valiant on October 31, 2011 at 11:12 PM

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I agree. If the Series is any good at ALL, they’ll bring back Merle with his hand-substitute weapon. I like how the actor who plays Merle is so enthusiastic about his “additions” to replace Merle’s now-absent hand.

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Anything can go back in time in Terra Nova. Just look at the first episode: Everyone going back is loaded with huge packs of gear. Of course they can send equipment back. This ins’t like the time machine in the Terminator movies which could only send back living tissue.

That being said, they take back vehicles and weapons (though the weapons are crap) why didn’t they build the perimeter fence out of something other than timber? Look at the wall: the struts are made of obvious metal, but the fence itself is made out of wood. WOOD! They are surrounded by dinosaurs for cripes sakes and they put a wood fence around their settlement. Stupid…

catmman on October 31, 2011 at 11:15 PM

yeah, there is zombie guts everywhere, and nobody seems to be concerned.

and what really makes no sense is where do all these zombies come from? If a zombie is created by being attacked by other zombies, then there shouldn’t be many zombie,s since the zombies tend to eat those they attack. Only the few who managed to escape an attack with a bite should become a zombie. So all these zombies are produced from that?

And if the zombies want to eat flesh, why don’t they just eat each other? They ate the guy in the tree, right?

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 11:17 PM

keep the change on October 31, 2011 at 11:17 PM

This really bothers you doesn’t it?

sharrukin on October 31, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 11:07 PM

That being said, they take back vehicles and weapons…

catmman on October 31, 2011 at 11:15 PM

I guess I missed the “bring back anything” part. When the characters made their “jump” back in time, they could only carry backpacks, so my impression was it was a one-time one-way limited transport.

What I was saying is how do they come up with all these replacement and new things? Once “jumped” in time, there they are, can’t go back, can’t make multiple round-trips, so, you know, use up your shoes, no more available unless you nab them from someone else, things like that.

Every week the show includes additional fancy tech equipment in the medical labs and homes and abundant new clothing.

I get irritated by lack of reality in production. It’s similar to watching shows such as DEADWOOD and everyone has perfect and perfectly white teeth…it ruins plausibility.

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 11:20 PM

catmman on October 31, 2011 at 11:15 PM

(Regarding TERRA NOVA)…Yeah, but the wood structures LOOK cool, right? Either the dinosaurs are very, very stupid or, or, some production designer went nuts over how “cool” it would be to place bamboo rods everywhere.

Lourdes on October 31, 2011 at 11:23 PM