Cain: “I was falsely accused” of sexual harassment at trade group

posted at 12:05 pm on October 31, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Herman Cain acted swiftly to put an end to speculation over the story about sexual-harassment claims during his tenure at the National Restaurant Association.  After a few hours of confused response, Cain admitted that he had been accused, but falsely, of inappropriate conduct.  He claimed that an investigation of those accusations showed at the time that they were “baseless,” and he seemed surprised by the news that the trade group settled the claims.  “I hope it wasn’t for much,” Cain told Fox News, “because nothing happened”:

“I have never sexually harassed anyone, but yes, I was falsely accused while I was at the National Restaurant Association,” he said.

He added that he does not know that a settlement was paid out against the two complainants, and said “If more allegations come, I assure you that people will simply make them up.”

“The only other allegations will be trumped up allegations,” he said.

This is a much better response than the one offered last night in response to the Politico story.  It acknowledges that Cain had to deal with accusations, and puts him on the record with a strong denial specific to them.  Unless Politico reveals more about the nature of the complaints and the women involved come forward, this will likely be enough to keep Cain in the game, as it’s doubtful that voters will give much credence to the vague nature of the allegations — unless they get a lot less vague, and unless more people come forward with complaints, assuming they can credibly do so.

Fox also asked about a story in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about possible campaign finance irregularities.  I’ll have more on that later, but that hits Cain’s staff rather than Cain himself.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Oh, my!
Ace gets irritated.

“aka Rich Little”

Sorry I hear shit before you do, you fucking moron.

I’m so fucking sick of the childish cunts who believe those who REPORT the news MAKE the news. Like I went fucking back in time and FORCED Cain to proposition dozens of women and have an affair.

yeah, I said it, asshole. If you want to know what I’m hearing, there it is.

Fucking lunatics.

Posted by: ace at October 31, 2011 02:56 PM (nj1bB)

Now, I wonder if he was exaggerating to make a point, or deliberately spilled some beans, real or imagined.

a capella on October 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM

a capella on October 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Yeah, who could see this latest meltdown coming?

Christien on October 31, 2011 at 7:20 PM

a capella on October 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Translation: “Now, look what you made me do.”

Christien on October 31, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Just sent the Cain Train $. I like having guy that is not political savvy.

Dingbat63 on October 31, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I like having guy that is not political savvy.

Dingbat63 on October 31, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I don’t like having guy that is not political savvy. Great copying and pasting, BTW. :-)

Punchenko on October 31, 2011 at 8:22 PM

He is untouchable .

He reminds me of Reagan.. about issues, and he never gets flustered because this is his destiny and he knows it.

He’s not trying to be the President .. he is just following the path to it.

amend2 on October 31, 2011 at 9:36 PM

He is untouchable .

He’s not trying to be the President .. he is just following the path to it.

amend2 on October 31, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Reagan was a two-term governor with a track record and had the ability to go on television and convincingly tell you what he believed. Reagan had a vision for America while Herman has… explanations for why he said the wrong thing on a given issue.

Herman Cain is no Ronald Reagan.

Punchenko on November 1, 2011 at 4:42 AM

Herman Cain is no Ronald Reagan.

Punchenko on November 1, 2011 at 4:42 AM

Herman Cain is also no Jimmy Carter. Herman Cain is also no Barack Obama. You wanna blame someone for setting the bar so damn low? Blame the Dems.

gryphon202 on November 1, 2011 at 11:55 AM