Perry: On second thought, maybe some debates would be good

posted at 3:45 pm on October 30, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

Texas Governor Rick Perry raised more than a few eyebrows when his campaign floated the idea that there might be better “time management” agenda items than flying around to an endless series of primary debates. Speaking as one of the people who has to watch – and write about – all of these dog and pony shows, I admit that I had a bit of sympathy for the concept. But it drew a lot of additional fire on his campaign, and now it seems that we’ll at least be seeing Rick at some of them.

Rick Perry plans to participate in at least five more presidential primary debates, his campaign said Saturday, dismissing speculation that the Texas governor’s lackluster performances so far would lead him to skip future Republican debates.

Perry, who has struggled through parts of his first five debates, will attend all of the events currently scheduled in November as well as a December debate, his spokesman, Ray Sullivan, told The Associated Press…

“Shoot, I may get to be a good debater before this is all over,” Perry joked during a campaign stop in New Hampshire on Friday.

There is probably a middle path here, and at this point it looks like Perry may be sharp enough find it. Bailing out on the debate circuit entirely was never a viable option, since it would have been taken as a sign of total retreat and defeat, but it’s important to remember that he never actually said he wasn’t doing any more. The original quote from the campaign was that they were going to, “evaluate each debate as it comes and take each one on its own merits.”

That seems to be the smartest move, at least in general. There are clearly too many debates on the docket at this point, and they suck up a ton of the candidates’ time. (A commodity which is arguably even more important than campaign cash.) Perry seems to be best at retail politics and wants to be out meeting community leaders in the early states, pressing the flesh and taking his case directly into people’s living rooms as much as possible. But some of the debates will be critical – particularly the ones taking place in the early primary states. The national audience may not be tuning in to these performances in large numbers yet, but the most motivated, likely voters in each state (who are obviously the folks you need to win over) will be watching the one which takes place in their own back yard and addresses the issues specific to their community.

So where will Perry be appearing? The five listed ones include South Carolina and Iowa, which are pretty much no-brainers to RSVP for. There’s also one in Washington, D.C. which doesn’t meet the “local impact” criteria, but will probably be a better national draw just for the venue. The last two, though, are in Arizona and Michigan, which are rather curious. Arizona, despite some not very veiled threats from Jan Brewer, looks like it still won’t go until the end of February and Michigan – while an important state in the general – is tentatively slated for the same day. For all we know, the race could be effectively over by then if somebody doesn’t score some early body blows on Romney coming out of New Hampshire.

Still, if Perry picks his battles wisely, he should be able to hit enough of the debates to deliver the most bang for the buck while avoiding charges of “running away” and leaving himself enough free time for retail politicking. Plus, he’s getting out in front of the insinuations, telling reporters that he’s not a bit worried about debating Obama next fall. I’d have to say this is a smart call at this stage, and his campaign looks like it’s recovering nicely from what could have been a death blow to his chances.

Comments

Me thinks,I’m gonna get Political Dizzy,
on Spinning this thingy!
(sarc)

canopfor on October 30, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I hope what comes out of this is a change in debate format. I know I would rather listen to each candidate talk about their tax plan for 5 minutes then answer three gotcha questions in that same time.

I think with this many debates it is possible to do that. I think it would be a benefit to everybody if they went that way.

gophergirl on October 30, 2011 at 3:56 PM

He may not be worried about his debating Obama next fall.

But I, and a good portion of the sensible GOP electorate sure as hell are…

JohnGalt23 on October 30, 2011 at 3:59 PM

If I were a political advisor?

I’d boycott the alphabet networsk. (SIC)

Key West Reader on October 30, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Alt. headline:

Perry Debates Himself.

profitsbeard on October 30, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Perry can’t win because the dems will pin his Texas on Bush.

Romney can’t win because the MSM will use his flip floppery against him, and rightfullly so.

Cain 2012.

Key West Reader on October 30, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Actually, I think all the candidates should boycott debates that are moderated by Left-wing mouth pieces like John King and Anderson Cooper.

It’s time to stop letting the Left-wing media decide who are candidate is. He’s thinking outside the box and his critics are not.

Extra credit question: which famous RINO went to ALL the debates and went on to be our nominee?

A: John McCain!!!

Perry/Rubio 2012 because nobody does America like Texas!!!

NickDeringer on October 30, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Perry is a great guy, and he runs Texas like a fine watch.

His trouble has been that no one wants to see the Texas system redux in DC. The people are Bushed out for a lifetime.

But, there is that famous path to the nomination: all he has to do is increase his support from 8% by reaching the 22% that has been firmly for Romney for a year or by trusting that the 24% who are white people for Cain will suddenly awake and notice that Herman has Negroid blood. A plan is a plan.

Go knock yourself out Rick and have fun spending the $15 million in influence buys from Texas friends. Easy come, easy go.

jimw on October 30, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Maybe Perry should debate Newt… Lincoln/Douglas style?

kringeesmom on October 30, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Perry can’t win because the dems will pin his Texas on Bush.

Key West Reader on October 30, 2011 at 4:01 PM

How does that work, though? Obama has been blaming Bush for everything wrong with the country. How can they possibly say ,everything wrong with the country is Bush’s fault’ and ‘everything that went well in Texas is not Perry’s doing but Bush’s? If anything, Perry can say ‘Obama and I both inherited an economy from Bush. I created jobs and Obama destroyed them’

No. If Perry runs, they have to trot out the same old tired race card. I don’t think that works this time around, especially with the economy the way it is.

I do like Cain though. I think he could do well against Obama. Certainly better than Romney. As a bonus, it would be super fun watching lefties twist themselves into a pretzel explaining why RACIST!!! Republicans nominated a black guy.

bitsy on October 30, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Perry as POTUS:

“Shoot, I may get to be a good C-in-C before all this is over.”

“Shoot, I may figure out this dang nuclear button before all this is over.”

“Shoot, I may learn what all those big-ol’ words in the Constitution mean before all this is over.”

“Wall, shoot! So much for Israel. But hey, I’m a dang good larner. Won’t make that mistake agin!”

Splashman on October 30, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Debate.

Governor Perry, do you still beat your wife?

President Obama, we are trying to decide if you are more like Jesus, God the Father or the Holy Spirit. No response necessary, Sir.

Back to Governor Perry, ample evidence shows that you are a racist swine, the anti-Christ and a killer of little puppies. Given these undeniable truths, one wonders how you have the audacity and effrontery to run for President. Let’s go to President Obama for a comment.

Mason on October 30, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Puh-lease.

If Perry had stated, at the moment he entered the race, that he’d pick-and-choose which debates he’d participate in, that would be an entirely different matter.

But the fact is, it’s only after a disastrous series of debates that he suddenly received his revelation. There is no way to spin this other than he’s a lousy debater and is avoiding getting his hiney handed to him.

Mr. Shaw is deluded. And whoever is running Perry’s campaign is an idiot.

Splashman on October 30, 2011 at 4:33 PM

bitsy on October 30, 2011 at 4:20 PM

The LSM will push-pin Perry to Bush.

They will attempt to propel Romney to the nomination.

Cain? He can’t be bought.

Key West Reader on October 30, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Gov. Perry had a darned-good interview with Chris Wallace, who was tenacious in probing for soft spots and the criticisms so far against Perry. I think that we are going to see his numbers come up as the race continues.

onlineanalyst on October 30, 2011 at 4:47 PM

profitsbeard on October 30, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Headline of your post “I don’t know what’s going on, so let me rip on Perry”. Perry’s team said they would evaluate all of the remaining debates. Looks like they have started that process and decided that he’ll attend at least 5 of what remains.

Mr. Shaw is deluded. And whoever is running Perry’s campaign is an idiot.

Splashman on October 30, 2011 at 4:33 PM

His last two debates were not disastrous. One was clearly a disaster, and the other two were not all that bad.

As Jazz points out, Perry’s strong suite is retail politicking. He has a great record and good plans on the table. He needs to do what is necessary to win the election the best way he knows how so he can put his job record to work for the country and flatten the tax code. Maybe you don’t like it, but many people see the smart decision making behind this.

In the end, if it doesn’t work for him, it doesn’t hurt us and he still added more conservatism the the conversation the Romney would like to allow.

kerrhome on October 30, 2011 at 4:51 PM

The LSM will push-pin Perry to Bush.

With Perry’s energetic assistance.

They will attempt to propel Romney to the nomination.

Yep.

Cain? He can’t be bought.

Key West Reader on October 30, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I agree. That’s obviously a wonderful and rare attribute for a politician. And if Cain is our nominee, I’ll vote for him. But he has several serious shortcomings (foreign policy, unrepentant ties to the Fed, impulsive gibberish, the abortion incoherency), and thus is someone I’d settle for, rather than be excited about.

Splashman on October 30, 2011 at 4:52 PM

One thing is certain, if Perry does get the nomination, he will benefit from lowered expectations in the debates. Everyone will expect Obama to trounce him. If, as Perry points out, “by the end of these debates [he] may even be a good debater”, the debates will probably not be an issue and instead we’ll focus on the policies of Perry and Obama along with their records. If that is what we’re focused on, Obama will lose big.

kerrhome on October 30, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Key West Reader on October 30, 2011 at 4:36 PM

*shrugs* I always liked Bush. I still do. If he could run in 2012, I think he could beat Obama. Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago? However, I think Perry is his own man, and any comparisons to Bush are superficial.

Mitt Romney seems to reside somewhere to the left of Hillary Clinton. I can’t figure out for the life of me why he is even being considered.

Of course, I do like Cain. He is a good second choice for me. He has no record in office, though. There is really no way to estimate what kind of POTUS he would be.

bitsy on October 30, 2011 at 5:02 PM

onlineanalyst on October 30, 2011 at 4:47 PM

bitsy on October 30, 2011 at 5:05 PM

kerrhome on October 30, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I’m actually looking forward to the next debate (I can’t believe I just said that)

Perry finally has his policies in place and has been selling them. Having that foundation should help him.

gophergirl on October 30, 2011 at 5:10 PM

profitsbeard on October 30, 2011 at 3:59 PM

kerrhome on October 30, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Don’t worry, I’ll vote for Perry if he wins the nomination.

I just find him an Hispandering, slow-on-his-feet, mediocre candidate.

But ABO.

profitsbeard on October 30, 2011 at 5:15 PM

But I, and a good portion of the sensible GOP electorate sure as hell are…

JohnGalt23 on October 30, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but aren’t you a supporter of the GOP’s “crazy uncle”, Ron Paul? And you think he will be able to debate Obama without sounding kooky?

Sure… (rolls eyes)…

TheRightMan on October 30, 2011 at 5:24 PM

gophergirl on October 30, 2011 at 5:10 PM

gg, a lot of people are playing into the Perry campaign’s hands.

They have set so low a standard for Perry in the remaining debates – including the rumor from the Perry campaign that he will drop out of some of them – that a good performance will leave them in shock or awe.

I am saying this before it happens, though – should Perry do well in the remaining debates, his critics will downplay their importance and will quickly swivel to other things. Expect to read articles like “Perry wins debate but will it matter?”, “Perry rises in polls but Romney remains most electable against Obama”, etc…

TheRightMan on October 30, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Debate.

Governor Perry, do you still beat your wife?

Mason on October 30, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Are you on the MSNBC- mailing list?

Dr Evil on October 30, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Really, Jazz, all the Hot Air staff, and all the commenters, Perry is playing ya’ll 100%.

Wait and see what happens.

Kermit on October 30, 2011 at 5:42 PM

BTW, I am a Perry supporter and actually do have a clue what is going on inside his campaign, not a lot but enough to see strategy at work.

Kermit on October 30, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Flip-Flop-Flip!

I do believe Perry has become that which he loathes most:
a Flip-Flopper

scotash on October 30, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I don’t have any confidence in Perry. If I thought all the money, time and travel I’ve spent is for this, I’d have stayed home and posted on the internet.

DanaSmiles on October 30, 2011 at 5:49 PM

UGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Still looking for the Fearless Consistent Conservative that can beat Obama in 2012.

tick tock, tick tock, tick tock….

PappyD61 on October 30, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Sure… (rolls eyes)…

TheRightMan on October 30, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Old Uncle Ron has shown up at every debate, every joint appearance, even in unfriendly territory. He started out above Rick Perry in the polls. And he’s still ahead of Rick Perry in the polls, at least where it matters.

And Old Uncle Ron will show up to debate anyone, anywhere… a quality that comes with the courage of one’s convictions.

Not to say Rick Perry doesn’t have the courage of his convictions… just not sure if he has any convictions to be courageous about.

JohnGalt23 on October 30, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Wait and see what happens.

Kermit on October 30, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I agree. He is at his best when he is down in the polls. Always has been. There are certainly alot of people out there still holding out hope for him.

tmontgomery on October 30, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Perry/Rubio 2012 because nobody does America like Texas!!!

NickDeringer on October 30, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Fortunately, unlike Texas, Hispanics will not outnumber Anglos by 2020 and constitute 70% of the population by 2040 in the rest of the United States.

Texas is headed into the crapper big time. By 2030 Texans will be headed to Ohio and Michigan looking for a better life.

bw222 on October 30, 2011 at 6:04 PM

scotash on October 30, 2011 at 5:47 PM

You are not getting the updated Meme’ it’s not flip flopper anymore, it’s Mitt Romney Shape shifter you know like the blue mutant in the Xmen.

Dr Evil on October 30, 2011 at 6:05 PM

There are certainly alot of people out there still holding out hope for him.

tmontgomery on October 30, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Only at Hot Air. You should get out more often.

bw222 on October 30, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Of course Perry isn’t worried, it’s me and fellow conservatives who are worried about that disaster. ;)

BocaJuniors on October 30, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Nah, I couldn’t live anywhere but Texas. It’s home. So much economic opportunity and freedom here.

My state is one of the most stable in the country right now. Our housing market while going down slightly, is going down less than the rest of the nation. Did you know we lead the nation in Fortune 500 companies (doubt they are hiring illegals) and the S&P raised our credit rating to AA+ before lowering the US credit rating to the same level.

We have jobs in Texas.

Only at Hot Air. You should get out more often.

bw222 on October 30, 2011 at 6:07 PM

I visit other sites, most are more pro-Perry than this site. We obviously know a good thing when we see it.

I trust Perry, and he is a proven leader. If you don’t like Perry…vote for whomever makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

Democracy…it is a beautiful thing.

tmontgomery on October 30, 2011 at 6:48 PM

TheRightMan on October 30, 2011 at 5:32 PM

That’s what I keep expecting too. That he’ll knock it out of the park that you’ll have to pick everybody’s mouth off the ground.

That would be fun :) I would enjoy that :)

gophergirl on October 30, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Kermit on October 30, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Ah facts are a lovely thing.

Oh hey that “consistent conservative” line – very cool.

gophergirl on October 30, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Only at Hot Air. You should get out more often.

bw222 on October 30, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Geez none of the people I know are on HA and they still have him high on their list.

Guess you should get out more yourself.

gophergirl on October 30, 2011 at 6:53 PM

You are not getting the updated Meme’ it’s not flip flopper anymore … it’s Shape shifter you know like the blue mutant in the Xmen.

Dr Evil on October 30, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Oh thank you for straightening me out…

Rick Perry is now a Shape Shifter (or how about a Chameleon?)

scotash on October 30, 2011 at 6:57 PM

But I, and a good portion of the sensible GOP electorate sure as hell are…

JohnGalt23 on October 30, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Less worried about that than I am about Romney governing for the next 4 years.

besser tot als rot on October 30, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Guess you should get out more yourself.

gophergirl on October 30, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Hard to meet any pro-Perry people when he spends all of his time in the Romney HQ.

besser tot als rot on October 30, 2011 at 7:32 PM

bw222 on October 30, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Posts like yours are how Republicans get accused of being racist (not that I really believe that you are a Republican). And you do realize that article that you linked really supports the policy of improving Hispanic education in Texas, right?

besser tot als rot on October 30, 2011 at 7:38 PM

He’s not a Conservative, of that there’s no doubt, but let’s not get stupid. Romney is not to the left of Hillary Clinton.

bitsy

He has a record in life. Does he have a record of believing in and doing the right things, or does he have a record of believing in and doing the wrong things? The answer to that should tell you what kind of president he is likely to be.

gophergirl

Wasn’t in-state tuition for illegals one of his policies? How much did that help him in the debates? He’s a terrible debater, and it has nothing to do with not having his policies in place.

Wait and see what happens.

Kermit

Pfft. Were you a Palinista in a different life, or did you just borrow their playbook of lame excuses and wishful thinking?

xblade on October 30, 2011 at 7:44 PM

xblade on October 30, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Maybe. Maybe not. How can we tell?

besser tot als rot on October 30, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Did you know the bulk of the new jobs in Texas went to immigrants, and half of those went to illegals?

We have jobs in Texas.

tmontgomery

You have an 8.5% unemployment rate in Texas, and you set a record for number of people unemployed this past September.

xblade on October 30, 2011 at 7:57 PM

xblade on October 30, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Yea unemployed are moving to Texas in droves kinda like a reverse cattle drive.

We are having problems finding employees for a new manufacturing plant there and it is less than 20 permanent fulltime. Pay scale is not the problem.

Kermit on October 30, 2011 at 8:51 PM

New Iowa Ad

EXCELLENT!

gophergirl on October 30, 2011 at 9:18 PM

EXCELLENT!

gophergirl on October 30, 2011 at 9:18 PM

That’s a good ad.

John the Libertarian on October 30, 2011 at 9:23 PM

gophergirl on October 30, 2011 at 9:18 PM

That is a very good ad..:)

Dire Straits on October 30, 2011 at 9:29 PM

gophergirl on October 30, 2011 at 9:18 PM

A very good ad, gophergirl, and thanks for posting it.

TheRightMan on October 30, 2011 at 9:48 PM

bw222 on October 30, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Damn – racist much?

Texas headed into the crapper because White people won’t be the majority anymore?

Do you read the crap you write?

HondaV65 on October 30, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Not sure where you get your numbers of employed illegals/immigrants in Texas, but even the Department of Homeland Security databases puts the number at 60,000 of the 279,000 jobs created in Texas in the second quarter of 2011.

The new companies in Texas need a higher skill set than what an illegal can provide. Catapillar, Amazon, Facebook, Ebay, Samsung, etc…not really seeing a market for low skill workers there. People from all over the country are flocking to Texas for the jobs. I don’t think they would be coming if the jobs are not here and are not good.

xblade on October 30, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Yes, the stimulus money ran out. Government employees hired by stimulus money received their last paycheck in August. The stimulus bubble has finally broken.

There are jobs in Texas, so I expect that number to go down again.

tmontgomery on October 30, 2011 at 10:58 PM