Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:30 am on October 30, 2011 by Allahpundit

A little treat for the early-rising political-chat-show junkies among the HA faithful. If you’re hunkering down for the weekly MeetThePress/FaceTheNation/ThisWeek/FoxNewsSunday yakfest, feel free to use this thread as a kaffeeklatsch. You’ve got two options this morning — FNS, where Perry will be grilled by Chris Wallace on the flat tax, or FTN, where Cain will try to explain his position on abortion to Bob Schieffer. Odds of a damaging gaffe in either interview: High.

Here’s the full line-up across the dial via National Journal:

Meet the Press hosts White House senior adviser David Plouffe.
Face the Nation hosts former businessman Herman Cain.
This Week hosts Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., and former Microsoft executive Bill Gates.
Fox News Sunday hosts Texas Gov. Rick Perry.
State of the Union hosts Obama adviser David Axelrod, Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, Radio Iowa director O. Kay Henderson and St. Petersburg Times editor Adam Smith…
Reliable Sources features Washington Post’s Jennifer Rubin, Politico’s Roger Simon, blogger John Aravosis, BusinessInsider’s Glynnis MacNicol, Washington Post’s Paul Farhi and BuzzMachine.com’s Jeff Jarvis (CNN, Sunday, 10 a.m.).
Fareed Zakaria GPS features Newsweek’s Niall Ferguson, Columbia University’s Jeffrey Sachs, author Bernard-Henri Levy and author Michael Lewis (CNN, Sunday, 10 a.m.).

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

You’re on crack. Perry was very good, had great Conservative answers and plans. You must be rather Liberal and probably a Romney supporter, an obvious redundancy.

JonPrichard on October 30, 2011 at 3:16 PM

You clearly are suffering from whatever the Palin loons are suffering from. You ignore his bumbling run on sentences and obvious desperation. You people are only hearing a couple of coherent words strung together and claiming he is doing just fine. If he acted like that on a debate team, they would kick him off the team. And that wasn’t even a debate!

csdeven on October 30, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Another Cain position we just hear about. At the end of Meet The Press, that guy who wrote the book about Steve Jobs said he (the author) served on the board of Readers Digest with Cain.

heh

He said Cain was always focused and solution-oriented. It must be campaigning for President that fuzzes things up (paraphrasing). He stopped there because he’s obviously on the wrong side of the aisle to be giving Cain any kudos.

MaggiePoo on October 30, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Quite a few of us think he did a good job. But thanks for your opinion…

Considering the low standard Perry has created for himself, I can see how you think that dismal performance was a “good job”.

don’t know what I would do if a day goes by that you aren’t hating on my Governor.

Perry 2012!!!

tmontgomery on October 30, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Ahhhh yes, the typical Palin tactic of calling people haters because they don’t lap at the same trough you do. You will suffer the same fate as the Palin worshipers when Perry’s campaign collapses. The only question is….will you pray for the country to burn down under 4 more years of Obama so you can say to America….”I TOLD YOU 8ASTARDS SO!!!”?

csdeven on October 30, 2011 at 7:24 PM

rrpjr on October 30, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Alas, she decided not to run.

Who is John Galt on October 30, 2011 at 7:35 PM

The thread I posted the following on went into the archives before I finished.
It was regarding Romney not letting chrissy wallace interview him yet.

After the stupid debate questions I’d give wallace a pass too! The one station supposed to be “fair and balanced” never delved into “fast & furious” or solyndra or anything else, but just had them at each other’s throats and sat back so all the lefties had something to talk about. I used to think wallace was fair but after his interview with Bachman – not any more!
I wish Britt Hume was still taking more of a prominent role.

Bambi on October 30, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Notice how none of our candidates feels comfortable riffing on conservatism and liberty to the MSM? Instead they look so anal and worried about what they might say off the talking point. I look at Bill Clinton’s comfort with talking about big government and liberalism, the genuine sense of freedom and satisfaction he seems to feel making the case for it — and throwing in barbs at conservatism in the bargain. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a republican with equal combative swagger and evangelizing joy, a happy warrior?

rrpjr on October 30, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Sure…in a perfect world, or at least in a “non-liberal press” world.
Not fair to compare Bill Clinton with GOP candidates. GOP candidates are on the hotseat in a 24/7 news world…and Clinton, frankly, has the MSM on his side.

balkanmom on October 30, 2011 at 8:07 PM

I saw Perry on FOX News this morning and just wanted to make this comment. He seems to be ill-at-ease and searching for his words in all of these interviews as well as, obviously, the debates. But I have heard him on buttloads of local radio shows here in Houston over the last few years, probably dozens.

Whenever he is on the radio he is awesome, speaking a mile a minute and not skipping a beat in his defense of conservatism- he is VERY eloquent. So what I am getting at is that he really does have it in him to communicate very well- he just needs more practice on the national stage, in front of the TV cameras, or something, and he will get it. But he has to hurry.

Thought some of you might appreciate knowing that.

Good night & God bless!

kg598301 on October 30, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Hmmm…

Politico is giving Cain the Clarence Thomas treatment…

dforston on October 30, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Hmmm…

Politico is giving Cain the Clarence Thomas treatment…

dforston on October 30, 2011 at 8:13 PM

All this tells me is, they know just how big a threat Herman Cain is, first they started attacking Rubio and now Cain. This is straight out of the lefts playbook. They have a very good chance of creating sympathy among the public for both of these men.

Dr Evil on October 30, 2011 at 9:13 PM

His performance was not dismal. It seems others agree with me.

You feel differently…okay. It is not like any of us expected you to come out and say anything positve about Perry. You have become extremely predictable.

csdeven on October 30, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Palin has nothing to do with any of this. She chose not to run.

What fate exactly did Palin supporters suffer? Disappointment? Probably, but I am sure that most pulled up their big-boy pants and are moving on.

I do not have to call you out as a Perry hater, because it is obvious to anyone that has to read through your drivel that your whole world revolves around making inflammatory remarks about Perry.

To be honest with you, I am not sure who or what you support. You never talk about your candidate or why they have better ideas or leadership skills. The only thing that ever comes from you is Perry hate and misinformation. Again, your purgative. But don’t expect me to come around to your way of thinking cause you stamped your little foot and screamed out your doom and gloom theory. I feel the same doom and gloom everytime I think about what a Romney nomination will do to the Conservative movement. I am willing to bet there are some others on this board who agree.

As for your accusation on giving Obama another 4 years. I held my nose and voted for McCamnesty, and if Romneycare is the nominee, I will hold my nose and vote for him.

All that being said, please have no doubt that I will stand for Perry for the duration of his candidacy, and I will counter any of your misinformation with the truth. As is my puragative.

tmontgomery on October 30, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Good night & God bless!

kg598301 on October 30, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Check out Perry’s new Iowa ad.

Rick Perry: Doer

TheRightMan on October 30, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Rick Perry: Doer

TheRightMan on October 30, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Love it when he reminds us of his outstanding record.

tmontgomery on October 30, 2011 at 9:51 PM

I finished watching my tape of Perry on FNC and thought he gave a wonderful interview. Really enjoyed his energy!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 30, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Hmmm…

Politico is giving Cain the Clarence Thomas treatment…

dforston on October 30, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Oh wow, I just told my husband this was coming next. Like, 5 minutes ago! Then I read this headline. Geez.

kg598301 on October 30, 2011 at 10:32 PM

I refuse to “settle”.

kingsjester on October 31, 2011 at 5:55 AM

Cain is in HUGE trouble with his spokesman not denying the charges. Whether Cain did it or not this response may have killed him.

Ok Hot Air, your main man is lost. Is it back to Perry for more gaffs, or on to Newt until his double cheating adultery gets brought up again?

scotash on October 31, 2011 at 6:04 AM

Stick with Cain, all the while remembering Clarence Thomas is on the SCOTUS. His story wasn’t over…neither should Cain’s be.

The Cain team will pull together the talking points. In our fight for Cain, never forget what they did to Sarah. It is worth fighting for.

balkanmom on October 31, 2011 at 8:00 AM

The only thing that ever comes from you is Perry hate and misinformation.

tmontgomery on October 30, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Yep, there you go again.

And what happened to the Palin worshipers that you are mimicking is that they had total meltdowns when the truth finally became so evident that even they couldn’t deny it.

See, you are just a babe in the woods as of yet. As Perry’s failure becomes more evident as time goes own, you and your other worshipers will continue to defend him beyond reason to a degree that will become laughable to we rational folk. But you will soldier on until his failure is complete and then you’ll be so invested in him that you wont be able to accept the truth. The evidence that you are on that path is your use of the term “hater”. Only a delusional lunatic thinks those who are critical of their candidate is a “hater”.

Seek help immediately.