Inevitable: Jersey Shore for politicos coming soon

posted at 11:45 am on October 29, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

Personally, I blame the failure of those falling junk satellites to destroy civilization for this, but we probably should have expected it. One portion of the nation is addicted to reality TV in the form of shows about towing cars, hillbilly handfishing or (gulp) The Jersey Shore. Another portion (comprised mostly of … well…. us) is watching Fox News, MSNBC, C-SPAN and roughly 173 Republican debates followed by hours of excruciating analysis. This leaves one obvious question for television network executives to wrestle to the ground.

How do we combine the two and maximize our audience?

One famous casting director – responsible for, among other things, Snooky – thinks he has the answer. We’ll do a reality show about politicos living together in a Big Brother type setting!

‘Jersey Shore’ mastermind casting reality show for politicos

WASHINGTON – There is a cliché that has been part of D.C. banter for a number of years: “Politics is showbiz for ugly people.”

Doron Ofir, the casting director behind a number of reality TV juggernauts, says he has never heard of it. If his new venture is to be successful, he hopes that adage doesn’t ring true.

Ofir’s casting agency is currently on a nationwide search for “strong-willed, well-informed, great looking outspoken participants in the American political system” to be part of a new reality show that will put different political personalities in direct confrontation with one another.

The man responsible for the “Jersey Shore” cast is looking for people between the ages of 21 to 35 to stump for their chance to dictate the national conversation on politics.

Finding. It. Hard. To. Type. Eye. Twitching…

When MTV launched “The Real World” they developed the following tag line: When people stop being polite… and start getting real.

I’ve got some news for them. If they think that a half dozen teenagers locked in a beach house can get out of hand, they’ve never sat through an evening of political opinion programming. This level of naivete is on display when they pose the question, “You take a young Bill Maher and you take a young Ann Coulter, what really happens if they live together?”

I can tell you right now what happens. Somebody is going to die.

But for better or worse, this is probably coming. So any of you who are in the target age group and having fairly telegenic looks, get those resumes in now. You never know… this could be your big break. And the saddest part of this entire debacle?

I’ll probably watch it.

EXIT QUESTION: Who among our favorite (or most despised) political operatives and authors would we like to see placed in this house with 24/7 cameras on them? I suppose we could match up Liz Mair, Mary K. Ham, Guy Benson and Chris Barron with Oliver Willis, Glenn Greenwald, Rachel Maddow and pretty much anyone from Firedoglake. Think of the debates! The arguments! The midnight meetings in the kitchen with cleavers, baseball bats and chains! It’s television history in the making, I tell you.

Comments

A baby, nine months later.

IrishEi on October 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Lila Rose

Abby Adams on October 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Meggy Mac, FTW!
Without a doubt, this vehicle is tailor-made for her.

ExpressoBold on October 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM

More:

Stephen Crowder!!!

Abby Adams on October 29, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Stephven Crowder!!!

Abby Adams on October 29, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Oops, FTFM.

Abby Adams on October 29, 2011 at 11:53 AM

It’s so sad, because I have always hated “reality TV” and never watched any of it. I would, although, watch this show. Think of it as an HA mega-thread, read dramatically….by Shatner.

Mord on October 29, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Let me tell you what this will wind up being: a bunch of young, hot, articulate libs able to defend their flawed philosphy as well as it is able to be defended sharing a house with a bunch of super annoying “conservatives” who not only won’t be that good looking, but more importantly won’t be that smart or that good at defending conseravtism.

Just an educated guess.

Kataklysmic on October 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM

chance to dictate the national conversation on politics.

It’s amazing how much these “scripted” reality shows include politics already, why do we want them to “dictate” our “national conversation”.

Anyone who agrees to appear on this show as a “conservative” is someone I will already reject.

ninjapirate on October 29, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Gordon Ramsey can mediate!

Yeah, throw in some required booze, and I’d watch that show.

JetBoy on October 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Kataklysmic on October 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I think I’m the perfect Conservative candidate. Ugly, and inarticulate because I tend to stutter when I get upset.

Ya think?

Mord on October 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM

A baby, nine months later.

IrishEi on October 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM

It would be the Anti-Christ. I volunteer SE Cupp and Tina Korbe for our side. Let’s show the world that our side is smarter, cooler, AND better looking than theirs.

SAMinVA on October 29, 2011 at 12:07 PM

What it’ll really be is two or three hard-core liberals, two or three hard-core independents (who are really liberals, but don’t like ‘labels’) against one or two conservative – one of which will be Rinotastic about pretty much everything.

catmman on October 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM

one of which will be Rinotastic about pretty much everything.

catmman on October 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM

So you’re telling me there’s a chance.

I read you.

Abby Adams on October 29, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Ya think?

Mord on October 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM

You’ll be fine. We’ll just make you guys attend a 12 week boot camp with Newt and Breitbart first. And we’ll tell the producers that we’ll only agree to this if James O’Keefe can be in charge of filming.

Kataklysmic on October 29, 2011 at 12:13 PM

BTW Jazz Shaw, very funny article, I was laughing through the whole thing.

Mord on October 29, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Kataklysmic on October 29, 2011 at 12:13 PM

HAHA! I could do a bootcamp like that.

Mord on October 29, 2011 at 12:16 PM

catmman on October 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Bingo! Given who the TV producers are, their idea of who should “play” the conservative team will, in itself, be laughable. Not to mention your point that they will be outnumbered in the first place…

yubley on October 29, 2011 at 12:16 PM

catmman on October 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Sounds like an episode of Real Time with Bill Leprechaun.

Kataklysmic on October 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Just an educated guess.

Kataklysmic on October 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM

This is exactly what I was thinking! All “reality” shows are edited to have good guys/bad guys. The producers have this in mind when casting and will, without a doubt, cast the libs as the good guys and conservatives as the evil one-percenters.

Nikkia2112 on October 29, 2011 at 12:20 PM

The media trying to manipulate the stupid MTV crowd by casting a group of people to fit their agenda?
Say it ain’t so!

darwin-t on October 29, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Without a doubt, this vehicle is tailor-made for her.

ExpressoBold on October 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Stretching the fabric of the television wardrobe continuum.

Just an educated guess.

Kataklysmic on October 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Exactly. This will be MTV’s answer to the View. Look for the “conservative” to be one or more of the following:

-some flavor of libertarian with heavy emphasis on drug legalization and trutherism.
-a passionate but poorly educated, inarticulate Christian, preferably Southern, who dresses skanky.
-actual militia members with unveiled racism.
-David Brooks.

TexasDan on October 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Ehh, they’ll make sure to weed out anyone whose mentally stable. So I think Crowder is out.

Maybe I’ll apply =p.

jhffmn on October 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I’ll be the casting director.

I would cast Andrea Tantaros, Steven Crowder, S.E. Cupp, Ezra Klein and Meghan McCain.

I’m trying to think of some young lefties?

terryannonline on October 29, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Maybe it’s because I read more stuff from conservative sites but I’m having trouble thinking of young lefty commentators.

terryannonline on October 29, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Zoe. What happened to Zoe ?

Is this

the

Lila Rose ?

ambuldog on October 29, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I’m trying to think of some young lefties?

terryannonline on October 29, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Don’t know how young they are, but those attention whores at Young Turks are probably already begging for a spot.

Watching Steven Crowder be-clown Meggy Mac on a regular basis would make this must-see TV.

Personally, I think it’s great. The more the masses get to hear what liberals really think, the better for our side.

SittingDeadRed on October 29, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Title of the show: The Politicos of D.C.

terryannonline on October 29, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Andrea T would probably rip apart Meggie’s arguments as well. She seems to handle Mr. Beckel pretty good on The Five. She’s a smart cookie….and also pretty.

terryannonline on October 29, 2011 at 1:00 PM

OO,OO, wait I got it
Felonius Monk – NSFW

ambuldog on October 29, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Just one of the number of reasons why I gave up on TV a very long time ago and rediscovered the simple joy of reading instead.

pilamaye on October 29, 2011 at 1:01 PM

The Jersey Show truly gives me reason to pause about our country’s future.

CW on October 29, 2011 at 1:04 PM

terryannonline on October 29, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Tantaros is exactly the type of cast member we need. Hot and down to earth. Which is why she’ll never get cast in a million years. I would bet money that Meggie Mac gets a call. *shudder*

Kataklysmic on October 29, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Kataklysmic on October 29, 2011 at 1:05 PM

My question is would they consider Meggie Mac a conservative or a liberal? LOL!

terryannonline on October 29, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Alfonzo Rachel, Steven Crowder, SE Cupp, Tina Korbe, and MKH

mfrantom on October 29, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Snookie I fear will not age well.

hawkdriver on October 29, 2011 at 1:13 PM

It won’t actually be about politics. It’ll be about cultural warfare. They’ll throw a skinhead, a southern belle, a transgender, a hippie, an anarchist communist, a black, an illegal immigrant, a feminist, a redneck militia type, and some rich kid jock to represent the 1%. Then they’ll claim it’s political.

jhffmn on October 29, 2011 at 1:13 PM

My question is would they consider Meggie Mac a conservative or a liberal? LOL!

terryannonline on October 29, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Considering the fact that she is a huge idiot and a unmitigated train wreck, of course they will want to call her a conservative.

Kataklysmic on October 29, 2011 at 1:13 PM

This will not be good for conservatives, who will be represented and sterotyped by quirky Bible carrying abortion absolutist, gun room stocked, extreme libertarian nut jobs.

exdeadhead on October 29, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I can tell you right now what happens. Somebody is going to die.

My money’s on the young Coulter.

IF there were a young Coulter on the show.

I’ll bet you anything they’ll cast a young Meggie Mac instead. She’ll make out with the hippie stoners and make all kinds of inane arguments that somehow always manage to involve her bewbs and hair, no matter what the topic is. She’ll spend half the season explaining why people like Palin, Cain and Coulter aren’t REAL conservatives. The last few episodes she’ll have a sobbing breakdown on the couch and tearily explain why she’s voting for Obama in the next election.

Fade out. Cue the music.

Book on October 29, 2011 at 1:15 PM

So this is going to be a 24/7 MCLaughlin group? KMN…

Nethicus on October 29, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Alfonzo Rachel, Steven Crowder, SE Cupp, Tina Korbe, and MKH

mfrantom on October 29, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Cool but for the drama we need to throw in some young lefties. I guess I need to visit opposition web sites more often because I’m trouble thinking of some.

Maybe Obama’s speechwriter…..Jon Favreau….I hear he’s young.

terryannonline on October 29, 2011 at 1:22 PM

AZfederalist on October 29, 2011 at 1:24 PM

of course they will want to call her a conservative.

Kataklysmic on October 29, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Ditto

CW on October 29, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Yep, this show is going to be all about shaping the opinions of America, not observing those opinions. As others have said, it will be about who they get and how they are cast that will define the show. If anyone has any doubts that the young libs will be portrayed as the thoughtful, intellectual, hot, appealing ones while the conservatives will be portrayed as mouthbreathing neanderthals, you haven’t been around long.

AZfederalist on October 29, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Mary K Hammertime and SE Cupp!

ted c on October 29, 2011 at 1:42 PM

TexasDan on October 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Oh yeah, they will definitely cast “the Christian” as they have done on countelss other reality shows. And he/she will inevitably be a feeble minded idiot and/or hypocrite as you describe. For a current example of this look no further than Russel Hantz’s nephew on the current season of Survivor.

Kataklysmic on October 29, 2011 at 1:52 PM

The midnight meetings in the kitchen with cleavers, baseball bats and chains!

I’d pay to watch that.

Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

troyriser_gopftw on October 29, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Actually, I think this is a great idea. Even if there is only one well-spoken conservative outnumbered by 7 liberals, that would still be a win. Many people in the 21-35 age range have NEVER heard the conservative position, ever. All they have ever heard is the liberal interpretation of the conservative side. Just one conservative standing up for their (well thought out) beliefs would make an impression on a lot of impressionable people who NEED to hear the other side.

bitsy on October 29, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Our own Ed, AP, Mark Steyn, Crowder, Cupp. Add in Larry King and Wolf Blitzer (fun to see the beating)… And you’ve got fun. I would pay to watch.

antisocial on October 29, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Episode 3 – “Occupy the Living Room Couch”

eeyore on October 29, 2011 at 5:25 PM

I’d watch it.

blue13326 on October 29, 2011 at 6:20 PM

hell this sounds like a weekly instead of yearly family thanksgiving dinner

unseen on October 30, 2011 at 9:40 AM

IrishEi on October 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM

And that’s the real deal.

: )

listens2glenn on October 30, 2011 at 2:53 PM

So this is going to be a 24/7 MCLaughlin group? KMN…

Nethicus on October 29, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Who’s going to be Eleanor Clift?

listens2glenn on October 30, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Just an educated guess.

Kataklysmic on October 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Dead center. They’re going to set this thing up.

itsspideyman on October 30, 2011 at 6:11 PM