Quotes of the day

posted at 10:45 pm on October 28, 2011 by Allahpundit

“As first reported by New Hampshire’s Union Leader, eight-term state Rep. Norman Major, R-Plaistow, is now endorsing Romney after he said he ‘realized [Perry] isn’t going to beat Obama,’ according to the paper…

“‘[Perry] has a lot of good credentials, but I guess he needs to go through what Romney went through last time and get that experience of running for president,’ Major said in the interview. ‘That way he will be more presidential and think more nationally.

“‘All the answers don’t come from Texas,’ he added. ‘If he develops more of a national expertise, he’ll go far.’”

***

“‘Consistency I think is very important,’ he said, ‘You may not agree with me on everything, but you don’t have to wake up in the morning and wonder is Rick Perry going to be the same guy in two years that he was two years ago. And the answer to that is yup, he will be.’

“Pressed by hosts to criticize Romney by name, Perry said Romney has changed positions on gun rights and the Obama-passed health care law.

“‘Like it or not, the governor has been on opposite sides on a lot of issues,’ Perry said. ‘He was for banning handguns, now he’s Mr. Second Amendment. He was the father of Obamacare.’”

***

“‘You can’t be a perfectly lubricated weather vane on the important issues of the day,’ Huntsman said. ‘Romney has been missing in action in terms of showing any kind of leadership.’

“‘I do believe that the electorate this go around will be looking for clearly defined presidential leadership and I’m not sure we’re seeing that,’ Huntsman added.”

***

“Herman Cain skipped a RNC gala in Washington D.C. tonight to speak at the sold out Nueces County Republican Women’s Dinner in Corpus Christi. Following a private fundraiser in his honor, Cain talked about his 9-9-9 plan and railed against the Obama administration and a healthcare plan he said the American people did not want.

“‘Back in early 1990s’, Cain said, ‘I had to fight Hillarycare and be an outspoken voice against Hillarycare. During the passage of Obamacare, I had to fight Obamacare and he passed it anyway against the will of the people. So it seems as if many of my years have been fighting some kind of care. Hillarycare, Obamacare, and now I gotta fight Romneycare and get the nomination.’”

***

“The Hill asked two dozen House and Senate Democrats if they would prefer Rick Perry, Mitt Romney or Herman Cain to face Obama in the 2012 general election…

“Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) said, ‘I think [Perry is] the weaker candidate. I think Romney has avoided some of the more obnoxious elements of the extremism, so I think Romney would be a stronger candidate.’

“‘From a purely selfish point of view I’d like it to be Perry, but for the history of the country and the existence of the Republican Party, they better pick Romney,’ said Rep. Jim McDermott (D-Wash.). ‘We can beat Romney, but he at least makes this not a joke.’”

***

“In one of the more straightforward questions of the 11 the former governor was asked this evening, a man from Londonderry, N.H., asked if Romney was ‘willing to upset a lot of countries to take care of America first.’

“‘The answer is yes,’ said Romney. ‘And you may say, ‘Well, prove it.’ It’s hard to prove but I can tell you this: I don’t have a career in politics. This, for me, is not the next step in my political career to run for president. As you know, I was governor for four years and I point out that I didn’t inhale.’…

“‘I’m in this race because I’m very concerned about the country we’re going to give to my kids and my grandkids,’ he said. ‘I’m not willing to go down as a member of the worst generation.’”

***

“Obama, a floundering naif who thinks ATMs aggravate unemployment, is bewildered by a national tragedy of shattered dreams, decaying workforce skills and forgone wealth creation. Romney cannot enunciate a defensible, or even decipherable, ethanol policy…

“Romney, supposedly the Republican most electable next November, is a recidivist reviser of his principles who is not only becoming less electable; he might damage GOP chances of capturing the Senate. Republican successes down the ticket will depend on the energies of the Tea Party and other conservatives, who will be deflated by a nominee whose blurry profile in caution communicates only calculated trimming.

“Republicans may have found their Michael Dukakis, a technocratic Massachusetts governor who takes his bearings from ‘data’ (although there is precious little to support Romney’s idea that in-state college tuition for children of illegal immigrants is a powerful magnet for such immigrants) and who believes elections should be about (in Dukakis’s words) ‘competence,’ not ‘ideology.’ But what would President Romney competently do when not pondering ethanol subsidies that he forthrightly says should stop sometime before “forever”? Has conservatism come so far, surmounting so many obstacles, to settle, at a moment of economic crisis, for this?

***

***

“Another worry I have is that Mitt Romney would be the excuse for a third party challenge from the right, and the people who want that don’t need too much in the way of excuse anyway.

“Not that I would support that — I would certainly support Romney and bitterly oppose those who have chosen to give the election to Obama, in hopes of teaching us yet another lesson. (We were already taught several lessons on the Senatorial level.)

“But I do fear that as a possibility.”

Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

What you Don L, carbon footprint, rrjr, etc need to realize there are conservatives that believe in the 2nd Amendment, Pro-life, small gov’t, strong defense, low taxes, yada yada yada AND are still voting for Romney because we feel/know he is a conservative and will run the country that way as well.

You can feel however you like g8. That doesn’t make Romney conservative. All the evidence puts your assertion to the lie.

As much as you say is not conservative we are not listening and neither is the majority of Americans that have given him the lead…

The “majority of Americans”? You may not have noticed, but he doesn’t currently even have the lead. If Perry hadn’t crashed and burned, Romney wouldn’t have had the lead since August. As it is, the moment Perry crashed, people began looking for an alternative, and Herman Cain has taken the lead back from Romney, and it’s lasting. Not to mention that Romney has been perpetually stuck at about 25%, so I don’t know what this “majority of Americans” crap is all about.

What does Romney’s “ceiling” tell you about the enthusiasm in the GOP grass roots for Mitt Romney? People are desperately looking for an alternative. So desperately, that Romney’s only hope is to keep his opposition in the GOP divided and dispersed. The moment voters begin to consolidate around someone else, or the moment one or two candidates drop out of the race, it’s all over for Mitt Romney. The only way he wins the nomination is through a fractured field of support for too many candidates.

Do you think with a strong House and Senate that Romney will be a liberal POTUS? He understands politics and what is right from an economic standpoint, having major successes for over 25 years in the private sector, that he will NOT jerk to the left as some of you believe.

g2825m on October 29, 2011 at 7:36 AM

You choose to trust a demonstrable liar – I do not. It is that simple. If you can look at a man’s deeds, listen to him tell you that his character is something entirely different than the sum body of his work, and believe the words over the deeds – then there is little I can say to help you. You are being willfully ignorant.

IronDioPriest on October 29, 2011 at 11:53 AM

g2825m on October 29, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I am going to vote for whomever is the GOP nominee. Palin certainly was maligned by many, but a lot of candidates are. BUT they understand how to deal with the media and Palin does not. Her worshipers believed her ongoing fight with them was a badge of courage, but in the end, it made her (and them) look petty and foolish. Palin could have survived this had she been committed to traditional campaigning techniques. But she was determined to do it her way and she failed.

csdeven on October 29, 2011 at 12:02 PM

csdeven on October 29, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Irrelevant and/or academic. Tell us instead how Romney is going to win only on an anti-Obama vote from an uninspired GOP base.

ddrintn on October 29, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Sarah Palin decided that you jackholes that liked her but wished she wouldn’t run weren’t worth fighting for…and she is right.

SurferDoc on October 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM

You go ahead and do that csdeven. I was too disgusted with myself when I voted for John McCain. I bought the lie coming from the GOP machine that he was the “electable” one who would “attract independents”, and we got Barack Hussein Obama as a result.

People do not want a mealy-mouthed pretender. They want a strong leader. Independents will elect a strong conservative, as long as he or she is capable and articulates conservative principles in a way that connects with them.

The fallacy about independents is they they have a middle-of-the-road ideology. The truth is that they pay little attention to politics until it’s time to pull the lever. They’ll make a decision based on their gut, more than party or ideology.

A conservative can win. Don’t believe the Karl Rove lie. He wasn’t an expert at getting a conservative elected, he was an expert of carving up the non-conservative electorate to eke out an electoral college win for a RiNO, and he nearly failed twice.

IronDioPriest on October 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM

SurferDoc on October 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Bingo, probably.

ddrintn on October 29, 2011 at 12:18 PM

IronDioPriest on October 29, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I was thinking of a response myself but can’t do any better than this.

Repositing hope in the possibility (absurdly presented as a certainty) that a president will held to account (the implicit point being that he is weak and mutable and MUST be held to account) by a “strong House and Senate” is a red flag of credulity. When have we even had a “strong” House and Senate? The House and Senate are followers, not leaders, i.e., institutionally and historically more subject to the forces and currents of public opinion and pressure from the political culture. Boehner and McConnell will exert “strong” pressure on a vacillating and timorous President Romney to do the right, conservative thing? That’s just one issue.

I will not return the favor of telling the poster what he “needs to know.” I’ll just tell him what I know — the same thing I’m sure all of those who have declared they will not vote for Romney under any circumstances also know. We know Mitt Romney. It is all there to see and always has been. To not see it, or to maintain the notion that these observable patterns of behavior will suddenly change when the person has more power, is a gross failure of reasoning which in the past has produced only bitter failures and degradations to conservatism. It won’t be accepted any longer. Mitt Romney is a desperate anachronism, a pretty political sack full of all the things we must reject. And will.

rrpjr on October 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM

ddrintn on October 29, 2011 at 12:09 PM

YOU are not the base. You are a fringe element who are committed to watching the country burn down because St Palin the Victimized wasn’t crowned queen of the GOP.

The polling shows that the GOP is energized and will vote for the candidate that can beat Obama and ideology is secondary to that.

So, as has been stated dozens of times….

You are wrong. AGAIN. Just like you were when you were pontificating about Palin.

csdeven on October 29, 2011 at 12:21 PM

If only, only the Romenybots could think of the right words to insult us with to get us to vote for their guy. Must be tough.

SurferDoc on October 29, 2011 at 12:25 PM

SurferDoc on October 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM

THIS^^

You St Palin the Victimized worshipers take note…..that comment is exactly why none of you are taken seriously. Palin didn’t run because SHE failed to articulate the message she had. She is to blame and no one else. Well, I’d put some blame on her delusional fans like this tool^^. I guarantee you she would run away from these types if they ever got close enough to her to spout their true idiotic beliefs.

csdeven on October 29, 2011 at 12:26 PM

SurferDoc on October 29, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Romney doesn’t need your vote. You loons are such a tiny iota of the smallest minority that your vote or non vote wont even be missed.

csdeven on October 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Please do keep reminding us that you were right to oppose Palin all along and we were, oh, so wrong, deluded, and cultish dolts. That will win us over for sure.

SurferDoc on October 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM

rrpjr on October 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Bingo AND Yahtzee.

I remember wailing to all my apolitical friends and relatives about the Marxist, anti-capitalist, Afro-centric, anti-American, pro-Islamist, heinously pro-abort past of Barack Hussein Obama. I remember feeling like I was beating my head against the wall, because they would not take the time to look at the facts, and wanted to believe what their “gut” was telling them about Hope & Change™.

I feel the same way now as supposed conservatives ignore what is right before their eyes in the person of this charlatan, Mitt Romney.

But… I’ll keep beating my head against the wall, hoping to have some small impact on the common sense of just one person at a time.

IronDioPriest on October 29, 2011 at 12:28 PM

So, as has been stated dozens of times….

csdeven on October 29, 2011 at 12:21 PM

It has nothing to do with Palin, you obsessive freak. The question is how Romney will win without the GOP base. And if you think I’m NOT representative of the GOP base, as are many others among your despised Palinistas here, tell me why Romney isn’t leading a pretty weak field by double digits. People are so desperate for someone other than Romney they’ll turn to a radio host-businessman with pretty much zero political experience.

ddrintn on October 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM

If we who refuse to bend over for flipper Romney are indeed a fringe who don’t matter, then please do carry on and enjoy promoting your guy. Pay us no mind.

SurferDoc on October 29, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Romney doesn’t need your vote.

csdeven on October 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM

He’s going to have to get them from somewhere, freak. I guess that moderate GOP vote is going to put him over the finish line?

ddrintn on October 29, 2011 at 12:30 PM

SurferDoc on October 29, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Just wait and see who gets the blame when he loses. LOL

ddrintn on October 29, 2011 at 12:32 PM

csdeven on October 29, 2011 at 12:21 PM

By the way, if indeed “ideology is secondary”, why would anyone want to replace Obama anyway?

ddrintn on October 29, 2011 at 12:37 PM

csdeven on October 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Oh really?

Got news for you pal. I am the person who mans the GOP phone banks. The person who goes door-knocking for GOP candidates. The person who writes checks to GOP candidates. The person who goes to GOP party conventions, and who served a term as precinct committeeman.

You think the GOP can survive an exodus of people like me from the party, and still maintain any shred of a conservative opposition to the Leftist agenda?

I’ve supported non-conservative candidates before, because it was what I was supposed to do. I was told that to not do so was a vote for the opposition.

Buying into that lie got us John McCain, and that was the straw that broke my back. I will not live with that kind of self-disgust again. I need to be able to support people I vote for.

I’m not looking for perfection. Men and women are just men and women. I can stomach some transgressions against conservatism. What I cannot stomach is being told I must vote for a man who demonstrably and consistently works against conservative principles. Thus, I will not vote for Mitt Romney. I’ll go third party for the first time in my life.

If we as a party can’t do better than Mitt Romney, then the frog is already boiling.

IronDioPriest on October 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Did you really think, all those months that you were reviling Palin and insulting her supporters that there would be no consequences? No hard feelings? Didn’t think you might need their support one day? No? Hey, that’s OK, maybe you can do it all on your own.

SurferDoc on October 29, 2011 at 12:40 PM

SurferDoc on October 29, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Of course though when Romney loses the scapegoats will be the same as in 2008: all those “purists” who stayed at home, but who at other times are so tiny a minority that they don’t matter.

ddrintn on October 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I’m no genius but I do know that if you climb a tree with a saw in your hand, you better have a plan that includes the Law of Gravity and which side of the limb to stand on.

SurferDoc on October 29, 2011 at 12:52 PM

SurferDoc on October 29, 2011 at 12:40 PM

They’re still reviling and insulting. Making Dale Carnegie proud.

But no matter. My objections to Romney long predated my interest and support for Palin. They have more to do with his unfitness as a political warrior against the Left than with his wormy opportunism and political shapeshifting (though all are related). I studied him leading up to 2008. I overcame my reservations and gave him a chance. I hoped for the best. His failures were so immediate, his inadequacy so clear — i.e., his limits as a broadly appealing political figure so obvious — I couldn’t imagine how he would try to repeat this effort in 2012. His chief failure in my mind is something no successful politician can do without: the internal and tempered understanding of the uses of risk and fearlessness, i.e., how to convince people of a set of core uncompromising principle while at the same time assuring others of your wish to keep faith with them. This requires, as stated, a kind of personal fearlessness and freedom with oneself. But Romney is a politician absolutely and overridingly stricken with fear. It causes him to calculate everything. It is apparent. The best politicians can be calculating, but they can’t let it show. Romney simply exudes it.

Beyond that, his campaign in 2008 betrayed a total unwillingness to fight openly and tenaciously even when cornered. Again, this was fear of how he might look and sound. Romney’s prevailing political characteristic is fear. You can see it and smell it on him. It will never work in the big show. The Left will devour him. They detect fear like sharks detect blood.

Not to mix metaphors, but in 2008 Romney reminded me of a sleek sports car which starts up and purrs sweetly and promises speed and power but as soon as you bring it up to around 3000 rpm it sputters, chokes and stalls. Always. Mitt Romney will NEVER redline.)

rrpjr on October 29, 2011 at 1:13 PM

You are a complete dolt if you believe any polls this far out. Obama was 26 points behind this very week in October of 2007. Stick you head in the sand if you will, but to think the enthusiasm gap the Republicans hold today will not immediately disappear the day Romney becomes the nominee is simply living in denial.

jmell7 on October 29, 2011 at 2:56 PM