New Huntsman ad: The smoking women

posted at 9:47 pm on October 28, 2011 by Allahpundit

Here’s the newest viral sensation among the politerati judging from my Twitter feed this afternoon. It’s cute, and the girls seem sweet, but do you think Huntsman thought six months ago while he was sitting in the embassy in Beijing that he’d be relying on this for online buzz? He’s fabulously rich and has tons of valuable public service experience, yet somehow his most memorable ad of the campaign is his kids putting on Groucho Marx mustaches to parody a beyond-parody ad thrown together to promote a former pizza executive whom he’s trailing by 25 points. And the margin would doubtless be more, if only conservatives weren’t so racist.

That’s the first video. The second is a bona fide Cain ad which I thought we’d posted months ago when it first came out. In case not, since conservative media has now rediscovered it in the wake of Mark Block’s tour de force, here it is again. After watching this, you’ll understand why they decided to just wing it, low-budget-style, with a chain-smoking campaign staffer instead. Exit quotation: “The one word that came to people’s minds most when asked about the smoking segment was ‘stupid.’”

Comments

Jon Huntsman and I have something in common.

Neither of us will be the Republican nominee.

amerpundit on October 28, 2011 at 9:50 PM

It thinks it’s a parody, but it’s a rip-off; it’s really the worst of both worlds. It faintly sneers at the original without adding anything to it.

rrpjr on October 28, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Huntsmans signs in new Hampshire were so lame looking

blatantblue on October 28, 2011 at 9:54 PM

That was actually a decent parody of the Cain ad.

sharrukin on October 28, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Less family friendly blogs will enjoy this one.

faraway on October 28, 2011 at 9:56 PM

So Cain tosses up the smoking ad, filmed with a cellphone and costing ZERO new dollars. The ad generates hundreds of news articles, thousands of blog posts, media mentions on all the networks, segments on talk shows and news opinion hours, and hours of talk radio segments. Again, costing exactly ZERO in campaign dollars.

Huntsman produces a parody, hiring a director and editors, renting a camera and editing suite, and in a final straw, sets his daughters up as the “jon2012girs”.

I honestly can’t see how anyone can call the Mark Block ad stupid.

Thanks for posting the yellow flowers ad AP.

You didn’t even give a shout out to Zo ‘tho.

Jason Coleman on October 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Jon who?

OhioCoastie on October 28, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Oh boy, the Jack Huntsman girls! They sure do look like their father, Jim Huntsman.

JackForce on October 28, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Huntsman underscoring that he can’t be taken seriously.

John the Libertarian on October 28, 2011 at 10:01 PM

I smell a 3rd party run

faraway on October 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM

As lame as their old man…

golfmann on October 28, 2011 at 10:04 PM

This is actually the best parody I have seen of the ad. It is fun watching Stephen Colbert and others fail so hard at parodying this ad because you can’t parody the utterly ridiculous which is intentionally ridiculous to get attention. Where as Colbert and others are just being mean spirited and relying on all too obvious gags as parody, Shigeru Huntsman’s daughters are having some fun here and I found it genuinely funny.

Daemonocracy on October 28, 2011 at 10:04 PM

It’s cute, and the girls seem sweet

Based on this I was really expecting more.

Blowing bubbles was good counter, tho.

davidk on October 28, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Blowing those bubbles should scare Obama.

faraway on October 28, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Rick Perry’s new ad will show him roasting a smoked coyote over a fire.

faraway on October 28, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Aw, Cmon. That was funny, and as far as the world of cutthroat politics goes, that was a friendly jab. Hell, I bet that made Cain laugh.

Now, pack it in, Jon. Go home and enjoy your family.

Saltysam on October 28, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Rip Huntsman’s daughters must be taking off where MeggieMac lost her “charisma.”

Even Biff Huntsman has a video mocking Romney’s flips, using a toy monkey to make the point. I guess that Clark Huntsman could not use that against his former employer for its coded racist message.
bluefox on October 28, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Link: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/281611/backflip-katrina-trinko

onlineanalyst on October 28, 2011 at 10:13 PM

You know after watching the yellow cowboy ad, I’m not sure if the Cain campaign is crazy like a fox, or just plain bats**t crazy.

swamp_yankee on October 28, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Rick Perry’s new ad will show him roasting a smoked coyote over a fire.

faraway on October 28, 2011 at 10:09 PM

LOL

bluefox on October 28, 2011 at 10:19 PM

The backflip ad is devastating

faraway on October 28, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Then there’s the Cain Train Music Video WebAd

It’s even got Joe the Plumber.

Jason Coleman on October 28, 2011 at 10:22 PM

onlineanalyst on October 28, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Which thread are you referring to for bluefox on October 28, 2011 at 7:54 PM ? I hadn’t posted to this thread. A mixup? LOL

bluefox on October 28, 2011 at 10:27 PM

In Yellow Flowers…Da Zo Man!
Long time no see.

eeyore on October 28, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Then there’s the Cain Train Music Video WebAd

It’s even got Joe the Plumber.

Jason Coleman on October 28, 2011 at 10:22 PM

That is a great ad! I loved the way he threw back Bill Ayers’s line: “Is this a great country or what?”

I found myself grinning and upbeat the way I did at Sarah Palin’s GOP convention speech. Both of those citizen-patriots, Cain and Palin, represent the optimism of the American Dream.

onlineanalyst on October 28, 2011 at 10:48 PM

onlineanalyst on October 28, 2011 at 10:13 PM

bluefox on October 28, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Yes, probably a mixup. You had a number of good points to make on the Bachmann thread.

onlineanalyst on October 28, 2011 at 10:50 PM

That was way better than the guy on the bike. More!

AshleyTKing on October 28, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I thought it was cheesetastic!

I’ll light up and blow a puff at you, followed by Cain flashing those pearly whites?

Seemed to me that’s how a pastor says to the GOP establishment, “Pound sand!”

Danny on October 28, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Errr… sorry… Posted w/ out seeing the cowboy ad.

Danny on October 28, 2011 at 11:31 PM

onlineanalyst on October 28, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Ok, thanks. I couldn’t figure it out, LOL

bluefox on October 28, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Felipe Huntsman should stick ordering Chinese food…

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on October 28, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Hunts who???

landlines on October 29, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Shame on Jon Huntsman for allowing his daughters to humiliate themselves like that. They make me want to ask where he’s been for the past 3 years, China?

As for the new Herman ad, all through it I kept thinking “Why is that horse’s ass in the picture?”

You can tell the GOP “establishment” to pound sand all you want, but the Tea Party can’t win without them and they can’t win without the Tea Party. All this chest beating is really juvenile.

I’ve voted Republican all my life and I will again next year, but I’m getting discouraged by all this trash talk from the right. All this “RINO” BS is really getting on my nerves. You don’t win elections that way. Focus on the Democrats.

flataffect on October 29, 2011 at 1:29 AM

These chicks must be bucking for a byline at the DailyBeast.

ButterflyDragon on October 29, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Hey, he almost nailed the ad, but he should have closed with his own face, looking serious, and then laughing suddenly to end the clip.

I liked it: “And even if we didn’t believe this, we’d still have to be here anyway.”

Adjoran on October 29, 2011 at 3:01 AM

flataffect on October 29, 2011 at 1:29 AM

It seems to me the people who threaten to bolt if so-and-so is or isn’t the nominee are the ones who have no party loyalty at all. Doesn’t that make THEM the real RINOs?

Now that they’ve accused every Republican in office or party position of being RINO, the new slur is calling everyone “Establishment,” as if every elected Republican except nutbars like Ron Paul weren’t part of “the Establishment.”

Notice that while Palin and DeMint both hinted at “primaries” and often call out fellow Republicans, they never do anything that would actually damage the Party or its prospects. That’s because they are conservatives AND “Establishment Republican.” Palin endorsed McCain for Senate and DeMint was a Romney backer in ’08 and may be again before it’s over.

These so-called “conservatives” who throw these slurs around aren’t Republicans at all, they are the sort of fringe nuts who’ve left the Party before to support fringe candidates on third party tickets, like Phillips, Paul, Buchanan, or Barr. They were the sort who voted for Ed Clark instead of Reagan in 1980. They’re nuts – ignore them, maybe they will go away.

Adjoran on October 29, 2011 at 3:08 AM

What the hell is Mike Helton doing on HotAir? Holy collision of universes, Batman!

Or is that John Bolton in Bizarro World?

Hmmmmm. The world wants to know, if there really is a world and all…

Naw, it couldn’t be Clark Kent with a chocolate milk mustache… could it?

hillbillyjim on October 29, 2011 at 3:45 AM

Chuck Huntsman can’t even be authentic when he’s trying to mimic authenticity.

Surely this will double Mitch Huntsman’s votes from 4 to 8!

BKennedy on October 29, 2011 at 4:14 AM

Shigeru Hiroshi Huntsman’s daughters are having some fun here and I found it genuinely funny.

Daemonocracy on October 28, 2011 at 10:04 PM

FIFY, according to the newly-disclosed Chinese copy of his birth certificate.

fred5678 on October 29, 2011 at 6:33 AM

Huntsman is in the race for one purpose -and the GOP doesn’t mind -to take down the conservative candidates who threaten all but the man the left and the GOP want to be the GOP’s man -Romnney. Cain is the threat to Romney now, so Huntsman, true to his task, is focusing , not on the socialist destroying the nation, but the man (still standing) who most in his heart is a principled conservative.

RNC means RINOs Not Conservatives.

Don L on October 29, 2011 at 7:38 AM

no party loyalty at all.

No, some of us are loyal to the constitution and not the party of socialism-lite that the establishment GOP is perfectly happy with – and their mediocre creampuff opposition to the socialists destroying America. They are far more aggressive when they maltreat their own true opposition like the tea party and Sarah Palin. You may be loyal to such shallow things, but it is (God, family, freedom, constitution, and nation)first with those of us who have watched the deliberate shennanigans of the establishment GOP for far too long now.

The GOP is the problem, and like alcoholics, they need to hit bottom before they realize they have a serious problem with their RINO addiction and socialism-lite.

Don L on October 29, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Go home, Jon, now, you’re embarrassing.

Kissmygrits on October 29, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Read this, Eric Huntsman! “No more Sidney Huntsman ads! None!” Do you understand me, Rob?

ExpressoBold on October 29, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Frank Huntsman’s daughters are pretty funny. They need to tell their Dad to lighten up on his technocratic bullsh!t pitch about republicans being anti science.

Dr Evil on October 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Adjoran on October 29, 2011 at 3:01 AM

Yes I like that part too, pretty funny add.

Dr Evil on October 29, 2011 at 10:04 AM

With ads like this I can’t imagine how he is only at 0.0556367383 percent in the polls… :/

crazywater on October 29, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I don’t care what you people think. The ad was funny, and I still like Jon Huntsman.

I just don’t get why he gets such a bad rap.

Abby Adams on October 29, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Those three girls should run for president.

SlaveDog on October 29, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Oh wow. You know what’s really sad? Someone made these commercials and was like “yep. That there is good stuff. Put it on the internets. I want everyone to see it.”

Book on October 29, 2011 at 8:28 PM