Meet the lovable 10%

posted at 5:25 pm on October 28, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Boaz Reigstad is a little boy with eager eyes and a sunshiny smile who turns six this Sunday. It’s hard to see a picture of him and not smile a bit yourself. After just the briefest glimpse of the beaming child, “lovable” leaps to mind to describe him.

Reigstad also happens to have Down Syndrome. That, too, is visible in his picture — but it takes a back seat to the joy and warmth of his expression. Sadly, the apparently cheerful child is the exception to a startling rule: About 90 percent of pregnant mothers who learn their babies have Down Syndrome choose to abort. As The Blaze puts it, “That means [just] 10 percent of children are brought to term after the mother learns of the condition.”

Reigstad, then, is part of “the lovable 10 percent.”

With the help of his father, the five-year-old has captured the attention of thousands of people on Facebook, who have “liked” a picture of the little boy holding a sign that reads:

I may not be perfect, but I’m happy. I am God’s handiwork and I bear his image. I am blessed. I am the 10% of children born with Down Syndrome who survived Roe v. Wade.

Reigstad’s father, Andy, told LifeSiteNews that he took and posted the picture “to let people know that though our son is not perfect (nor are any of us), he is happy and his life is worth living.”

“We had hoped that this photo might be a small part of the tide that is turning against abortion. We wanted to speak up for those who can’t speak up for themselves.”

It’s a compelling contrast to the complaints of “the 99 percent” occupying Wall Street and other cities throughout the country. While the two “protests” — one an apologetic for the right to life, the other a convoluted cry to end crony capitalism through the redistribution of wealth — might not seem, at first glance, to pertain to one another, they matter to one another immensely, regardless of whether the OWS-ers recognize it. For, just as life is a fundamental right, so, too, is it a fundamental gift, one for which, ultimately, we can take no responsibility. While we can cooperate in bringing it about and while we most assuredly (and sadly!) can end it, we cannot, try as we might, create it out of nothing. From that simple fact alone, the seemingly proper posture from which to proceed in life is one of humility — just the opposite of the entitlement mentality we see rampant today. Ironic that so many of the same people who think government should provide its people all things out of nothing often fail to protect and defend the one gift that does arise relatively freely.

Boaz Reigstad, Down Syndrome, pro-life

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I may not be perfect

Says who? He’s probably brighter, kinder and smarter than 75% of the “normal” people out there.

kim roy on October 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM

*tear* cute. Thanks Tina.

alohapundit on October 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Hardcore emotional post.

IR-MN on October 28, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Very Nice!

Kini on October 28, 2011 at 5:34 PM

kim roy on October 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM

alohapundit on October 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Dittos to the above.

But you’re gonna catch a bunch of ‘flak’ for it, Tina.

But you already knew that.

listens2glenn on October 28, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I have seen this on facebook, he’s just too cute, what a “punim”

Dr Evil on October 28, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I guess we should get used to the 5:30 abortion content?

lorien1973 on October 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Bless his tiny heart! What a darling child. Every human is precious to God and those who loves them.
L

letget on October 28, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Awesome. I’m so proud of my daughter, who has a gift for helping and befriending Downs kids – they are special people with unique qualities hidden beneath the “difficulties”.

peski on October 28, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Tina, bless your heart!

You are sooo good.

Operation Rescue’s “rescue” of HotAir is a welcome development.

How soon can you guys dump the pro-murder lead blogger?

Pablo Honey on October 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM

I guess we should get used to the 5:30 abortion content?

lorien1973 on October 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Kind of looks like it. I think I’ll go wash my hair or go look at the front page of Drudge again.

Knucklehead on October 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM

I guess we should get used to the 5:30 abortion content?

lorien1973 on October 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Oh, I knew it! Here it comes.

TAKE COVER . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on October 28, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Just look at that beautiful smile!

I once danced with a young man (in his 20s), an artist, with Down syndrome, and had a very pleasant discussion with him on H.P. Lovecraft. His notebook was full of wonderful drawings illustrating scenes from Lovecraft.

My great-aunt, whom unfortunately I never met, had Down syndrome and became a high school principal.

My sister’s best friend in school has Down syndrome, and she’s married with kids (who are genotypically normal and doing fine).

People with Down syndrome vary widely in their ability to function, but no prenatal test can show that — so how many people just like those three have been flushed down the toilet for having an extra chromosome?

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM

the poor kid has no idea he’s being used as a prop in a political battle. as always, it’s ok if you’re a conservative!

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I have spent a lot of years as an educator dealing with Down Sydrome, and I thank God for the joy of such beautiful people. I have seen many with skills beyond many adults. One could outdraw her art teacher, another could identify every country in the world and place their names on a blank map, anothe beat her entire class in identifying compass directions, another’s performance was so perfect that tears flowed. The trust and eagerness to do things right, and the joy from success, could well be the model copied by many kids who aren’t Down Syndrome folks.

For a society that holds we humans to be no better of a species than mere filthy rats(the basic tenent of biodiversity)I have no surprise that folks would want to kill off such treasures as these.

Shame on all of us for that!

Don L on October 28, 2011 at 5:51 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM

True; but then again, I seem to remember your speaker of the house bringing a bunch of kids up on stage to bang the gavel in 2006 or whatever. So, whatever works, right? ;)

lorien1973 on October 28, 2011 at 5:51 PM

The kid writes pretty well for a six year old. Very clear and succinct.

Even understands what percentages are.

Pablo Honey on October 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM

The “poor kid” is alive to hold the sign, unlike 90% of kids with an extra chromosome.

I say that “more dead kids” is a bad thing. Do you say that “more dead kids” is a good thing?

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM

You pro-abortion folks. What are you worried about? You as much said we’ll never turn it around. I personally apprecaite the idea of constantly reminding you what you have caused. The death and mutilation of even perfectly healthy full term babies.

They feel pain and you have no compassion. You own this.

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 5:53 PM

90% are aborted?

Pablo Honey on October 28, 2011 at 5:54 PM

After the last propaganda piece failed, I see you went for warm & cuddly instead. Much more effective.

mythicknight on October 28, 2011 at 5:54 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM

The Boy Scouts in LA being booed off the stage during a Democratic Convention were pretty aware of the political hot potato they’d become too. What’s your point?

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 5:55 PM

mythicknight on October 28, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Yes, it’s propaganda. No babies are killed because the mother is told it’ll have Downs.

String up the propagandist!

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 5:57 PM

90% are aborted?

Pablo Honey on October 28, 2011 at 5:54 PM

90% of babies with Down Syndrome, yes, apparently so.

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Pablo Honey, I’ll ask again.

Do you not consider them people? Do you not understand or believe they feel pain when we do this to them. Do you not have a single shred of compassion for them?

My God, we do this to full term babies. Scissors in the backs of their necks after they’re actually born. We let them lie on gurneys to die after they’re born.

Can you not agree that at least some of this is barbaric and unnecessary?

hawkdriver on October 27, 2011 at 8:24 PM

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM

A very nice post Tina…

… Thanks!

Seven Percent Solution on October 28, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Do you say that “more dead kids” is a good thing?

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM

it’s terrible. using down-syndrome kids to score political points is pretty awful, too.

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 5:59 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM

This poor kid doesn’t either.

unclesmrgol on October 28, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Do you not have a single shred of compassion for them?

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Hawk, that argument’s not gonna work. We conservatives are heartless, remember? Governor Perry told us so. :-P

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I have two sisters with Down Syndrome, 17 and 7, and I love both of them so much. Seeing the two of them work so hard to do their school work has always been motivating to me. Kids with Down Syndrome can have a lot of needs but they have far more kindness to show and lessons to teach.

angelwing34215 on October 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM

90% of babies with Down Syndrome, yes, apparently so.

If the 90% is correct, is certainly looks like a bunch of pro-lifers change their mind when it affects them personally.

Pablo Honey on October 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 5:59 PM

As bad as killing babies?

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 6:02 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 5:59 PM

What would be worse would be not using them, when they are targets for abortionists.

unclesmrgol on October 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Pablo Honey on October 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I would expect that every single one of those abortions was by pro-Choicers.

unclesmrgol on October 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Very Cute! He is “fearfully and wonderfully made” Psa 139:14

rebuzz on October 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Booing Boy Scouts off a stage is good?

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Please forgive the Godwinian comment but it’s rather surprising to see so many Hitlerite eugenics fans on this site. Those traits are certainly not rare in our society but I thought some natural selection might be at work here to skew toward respect for human life. Is it true that one of the main bloggers here is insensitive to the rights of the unborn person? Maybe that’s the attraction. Go Moloch, huh, guys?

Mason on October 28, 2011 at 6:05 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM

So let’s talk about the 90% of children diagnosed with Downs who are executed in the womb instead. We don’t need a picture of the survivor of that holocaust to discuss this issue, do we? How do you feel about this slaughter of innocents?

NotCoach on October 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM

As bad as killing babies?

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 6:02 PM

fetuses, not babies. no need for hyperbole.

this is not an argument about abortion and i’m not interested in starting one. it’s about the acceptability of using down-syndrome kids to promote a political agenda.

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Booing Boy Scouts off a stage is good?

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM

stalking 12 year olds is good?

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:08 PM

fetuses, not babies. no need for hyperbole.

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I felt the fetus kick.

I am with fetus.

You can split hairs all you want, ses, but in the end, the thing in the womb is a child — an immature human being.

unclesmrgol on October 28, 2011 at 6:08 PM

How soon can you guys dump the pro-murder lead blogger?

Pablo Honey on October 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Pablo, I would like to take this opportunity to thank your mom and mine for being pro-life. Also, I would like to speak for my kids. I’m pretty sure that they would thank their birthmothers for being pro-life.

Yep, many of us our pro-life at Hotair. But, all of us have received the gift of life. Thanks, Mom.

balkanmom on October 28, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Mason on October 28, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Who are you referring too? I am not aware of any bloggers on here being pro-abortion.

NotCoach on October 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Pablo Honey on October 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Got stats to bear that out? I’m willing to bet the other way, and here’s why: The older the mother is, the greater the risk that the baby will have Down syndrome. The phenomenon of older motherhood is most common among upper-middle-class women who have put off childbearing to pursue either a high-status career or a postgraduate education. These women tend to be liberal and vote Democrat.

At the other end of the curve, girls and women with less than a high-school education have often dropped out of school because they got pregnant, and they tend to vote Democrat, too.

In the middle of the curve is where you tend to find conservative women, who, if they’re going to have kids at all, usually have them in their 20s to early 30s, when they’re less likely to have a Down syndrome baby. If they do wind up having one in their 40s (like Sarah Palin, or the mother of my sister’s best friend mentioned above), it’s likely not to be their first baby, so they *know* that that’s a human life in there. (Trig Palin is the youngest of five, my sister’s friend is the youngest of seven.)

(BTW, I read somewhere that a black baby is twice as likely to be aborted as to be born, even if he or she is perfectly genetically healthy. That’s every bit as tragic.)

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Wow, just looked at some pictures for Occupy Madison. They have gasp “kids” there as political props, sesqui.

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:11 PM

stalking 12 year olds is good?

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:08 PM

You betcha. Mr. Frost’s family signed him up to be a poster child for Obamacare. Then we find that the family deliberately dropped the insurance coverage they once had for their own selfish goals (wanted to work for self; wanted to own property; wanted to send kids to private school).

I’m sure Boaz’ parents won’t mind you stalking them to find out that (a) he’s really a photoshopped kid, because
(b) he doesn’t exist, because
(c) they aborted him.

You just go report that news on DailyKos or wherever you normally go.

unclesmrgol on October 28, 2011 at 6:12 PM

fetuses, not babies. no need for hyperbole.

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM

[eyeroll]

A fetus is a baby. He or she just hasn’t been born yet.

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 6:12 PM

fetuses, not babies. no need for hyperbole.

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Ok. Infant instead of human. Adolescent instead of human. Teenager instead of human. Young adult instead of human. Middle aged adult instead of human. Old person instead of human. None of those categories are really human because I have some arbitrary sense of humanity in my pea brain, so I am comfortable with slaughtering them all.

So Tina’s blog post isn’t about abortion?

NotCoach on October 28, 2011 at 6:14 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Probably the most cowardly answer I have ever heard on Hot Air. Even though abortion kills babies right up to due date, please only expect me to answer a question in this very narrow context about using a kid as a prop.

Gutless. None of you will answer a hard question. What about the full term babies born alive and left to die on a gurney? Or ones who have their spinal column severed with scissors?

When do they get to be within the context of the argument of abortion? Is this kind of abortion still okay?

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Whether you are the 1% or the 10%, you are a target for certain people.

unclesmrgol on October 28, 2011 at 6:16 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM

If both sides could agree not to have their cute little ones holding signs, that would be a good thing, I agree.

However, every child has an interest in being alive. Very few children have an interest in, e.g., Che Guevara, or 9/11 being an inside job. This kid is not being “used” nearly as much as the kids at Occupy Wall Street, because he himself makes his own argument in favor of life just as well without the sign as he does with it — for those who have eyes to see.

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 6:16 PM

A fetus is a baby. He or she just hasn’t been born yet.

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 6:12 PM

fine.

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:18 PM

stalking 12 year olds is good?

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:08 PM

From Crooks and Liars, I’ll pass. The Democratic national Convention that booed the Boy Scouts off stage was broadcast live. Plus, OIccuply Madison, using little kids as props. You better call them and vioce your concern.

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:19 PM

…he himself makes his own argument in favor of life just as well without the sign as he does with it — for those who have eyes to see.

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Quoting myself to answer the question, “Then in that case, why does he need the sign?”

My answer: He’s captioned for the morally-impaired. :-)

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I guess we should get used to the 5:30 abortion content?
lorien1973 on October 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Hey, at least her daily Perry stumping posts are over. At one point she might as well have pasted his banner on the front page.

mythicknight on October 28, 2011 at 6:19 PM

fine.

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Good, I’m glad you agree.

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I don’t know if the 90% is accurate or not, I know there are far too many abortions. My concerns are for the families who face disabilities far more debilitating than Downs syndrome. If I were looking at giving birth to a child that would never walk, talk, sit up, or be able to care for himself in any way, I don’t know what I would do. Life is always easier when looking from the outside in.

bopbottle on October 28, 2011 at 6:22 PM

fine.

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:18 PM

They not even anesthetized. Do you know the baby feels agonizing pain as it’s being killed? Do you care about that? If so, how do you separate yourself from that fact?

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Not one of you cowards will address the fact that they feel pain. Do you care?

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:24 PM

bopbottle on October 28, 2011 at 6:22 PM

The 90% figure is correct. This is not a new phenomena.

NotCoach on October 28, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I could just reach through my computer screen and hug the heck out of that little boy

What a doll!

gophergirl on October 28, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I guess those 90% of Down pregnancies have the bad luck to be conceived with pro-choice Democrat woman.

What are the odds!

Pablo Honey on October 28, 2011 at 6:25 PM

The 90% figure is correct. This is not a new phenomena.

NotCoach on October 28, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Yes, i just did a few minutes research and that number is correct. What a shame.

bopbottle on October 28, 2011 at 6:26 PM

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:15 PM

why do you want to force me into a futile debate about abortion? these are two unrelated issues and one can address one without wading into the other.

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Pablo Honey on October 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM

You fail at logic.

Kensington on October 28, 2011 at 6:27 PM

More posts like this, Tina! Never give up!

Kensington on October 28, 2011 at 6:28 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Because it would be helpful to know what you think about the fully developed babies that are aborted, feeling pain and trying to understand how you square your position on the issue knowing that.

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Or Pablo could answer.

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM

What are the odds!

Pablo Honey on October 28, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Not all of them, but I would bet that the majority are. That said, there’s a good reason that organizations like Project Rachel exist.

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM

More posts like this, Tina! Never give up!

Kensington on October 28, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Absolutely Kensington.

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:33 PM

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:29 PM

no, it wouldn’t be helpful at all. i won’t discuss abortion because it’s pointless, get over it.

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:39 PM

If we can save just one life it is all worth it.

tomas on October 28, 2011 at 6:42 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Or I could make it multiple choice.

a. I don’t believe there even are fully developed babies that are aborted so your question is moot.

b. The majority of babies aborted are nearer to early development so I find it easier to just consider them all “fetuses” and “zygotes” because using those terms dehumanizes them for me.

C. I don’t believe any of them feel pain at any stage so your question is moot.

d. The choice rights of the mother must be preserved at any cost so none of this is as important.

e. It does bother me that we can’t prevent in some manner, the worst cases of fully developed babies having to be aborted.

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Why is it hard to answer?

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:44 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:39 PM

It’s pointless, all right. You seem to believe that’s a puppy growing in there.

kingsjester on October 28, 2011 at 6:45 PM

As the father of a special 24 year old daughter, please allow me to say: God bless you, little man.

kingsjester on October 28, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Why is it hard to just state what you believe?

It might look like this.

“hawkdriver, I believe in abortion at any cost. These babies that are killed are not as important to me as it is to preserve a mothers right to choose.”

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at sometime o clock.

Is it something like this?

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:47 PM

stalking 12 year olds is good?

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:08 PM

As soon as I saw that photo at the top of the post, I just knew some of you here were immediately going to commence stalking this youngster.
But sesqui‘s onto you, yeah. That’s right.
Can’t get anything by him.
And Tina, if anybody here get’s indicted for stalking, you’ll be an accessory.

listens2glenn on October 28, 2011 at 6:48 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM

How do you know the parents of this boy are conservative? It’s very possible they’re pro life dems.

You just see what you want to see, and say what you want without any thought. I feel for you. One day, God is going to ask you….why was it, you felt it was ok to kill the babies? He won’t use the word fetus.

Justify it any way you have to, to live with yourself and this belief. But in the end, you’re going to have to explain it, and I don’t think saying it was a fetus will do you much good.

capejasmine on October 28, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Individuals with Down Syndrome are well aware that their peers are being killed at an alarming rate. They are self advocates who are trying to speak out against the practice. The killing of their peers in the womb results in hatred of themselves in the wider world.

Individuals with Down Syndrome are proud to be part of the 10% and are equally proud to fight against those who believe that they should have been killed.

Vera on October 28, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Vera on October 28, 2011 at 6:53 PM

That makes all kinds of sense.

This dear little boy may not know what his sign says now, but when he’s older, he surely will.

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 6:55 PM

i won’t discuss abortion because it’s pointless, get over it.

Oh, I see. You’ll just bitch and whine about how we’re all talking about abortion too much, and then run away when you’re asked to back up your own views.

Keep telling yourself that you’re a hero.

Vera on October 28, 2011 at 6:55 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Using a healthy, functioning Down-Syndrome child to stigmatize all those parents who chose to abort, as well as those who support that belief and behavior?

(expetive deleted) YES! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

listens2glenn on October 28, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Cowards. Every last one of you pro-abortion advocates is a coward for fearing to say what you believe.

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Here’s what a young woman (I’d say she’s probably in her late teens-early 20′s) with Down Syndrome has to say about abortion.

I am a young woman with Down Syndrome. I am so sad to hear about all the babies with Down Syndrome who are aborted.

I am so grateful that I was not aborted because I have a full and wonderful life!

The world needs to know that I do not “suffer” from Down Syndrome. I believe in the sacred dignity of ALL people. AND Most people I know with disabilities have full and productive lives.

I learned about what Hitler did during the Holocaust. He killed many people because he did not think they had the right to live.

He learned how to kill by killing people with disabilities first. My heart broke when I learned about this at the Holocaust museum.

It seems to me we are doing the same thing to children with disabilities today in our country. I think this is like genocide – the systematic killing of a whole people or nation.

I wonder why we think Hitler was so horrible when we are doing the same thing he did? My heart breaks again when I think that I might be the last generation of people with Down Syndrome. The world will never again benefit from our gifts.

Even though I am discouraged – I will continue to hold hope for people with disabilities. And I will continue to pray for all the people who think we don’t have the right to live.

Bridget Brown {Self advocate}
Butterflies For Change”

And here’s a 13 year old boy with DS, Emanuel.

I Am
I am 13 years old and my great story is being written and my great accomplishments and successes are to come.

I am a self-advocate speaker. I like giving Power Point presentations and answering questions. When I was six years old I read a welcoming statement in three languages at the National Down Syndrome Society Conference in St. Louis. At age 12 I spoke at the 10th World Down Syndrome Congress in Ireland and played a violin recital in front of 900 people at the Plenary Session.

I am a swimmer. I train everyday. I set six Junior Down Syndrome World Records in freestyle, long course:

50 meters
100 meters
200 meters
400 meters
800 meters
1,500 meters

I am a traveler. I have a passport. I have visited:

Canada
Mexico
Honduras
Ireland
France

I am a violinist. I started to play when I was six years old. I am on Suzuki Book 3. I am a golfer. I learned to play when I was 8 years old. I like to practice at the driving range. I open golf events with ceremonial drives. I am a polyglot. I am good at learning foreign languages. I speak:

English
Spanish
French
and I study Latin

I am homeschooled. I know the multiplication tables. I know the Ten Commandments. I know all the presidents of the United States. I study botany and entomology. I am a reader. I learned to sight-read when I was 2 years old. I have a bookcase at home with all my books. I have a library card.

I am a cyclist. I learned to ride a bike when I was 8 years old with Dr. Dick Klein at Lose the Training Wheels bike camp in Chicago. I ride 12 miles with my father in the summer and fall. I am Catholic. I was baptized when I was a baby. I made my First Communion when I was 10 years old. I am an altar server and I am studying for my Confirmation.

I am valuable because I exist. Not because of what I do or what I have done.

I am not a burden to society. My life is worth living with respect and dignity.

I am a self-advocate so that others may understand.

I am a person.

I am Emmanuel Joseph Bishop.

If you’d like to hear more about self advocates, and their families, IDSC for Life is a great place to start.

Vera on October 28, 2011 at 7:01 PM

One thing quite clear is that the pro choicers here are experts at totally using dishonesty to push their viewpoints. Considering they lie about basic biology don’t call me surprised.

CW on October 28, 2011 at 7:02 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:39 PM

It’s pointless, all right. You seem to believe that’s a puppy growing in there.

kingsjester on October 28, 2011 at 6:45 PM

We’ve degenerated to the point that animals are more valuable than children.

If it was a puppy growing in there, animal rights activists would be picketing every abortion clinic there is!

listens2glenn on October 28, 2011 at 7:02 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I take it you don’t remember young Graeme Frost?

Fail as usual Sesque.

angryed on October 28, 2011 at 7:03 PM

hawkdriver on October 28, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Most have had abortions or been part of an abortion decision in the past . For them to admit to such an abhorrent act is beyond their ability . They go into full defense mode and often to the point of joking about the value and humanity of the unborn child. They cannot even admit to the fact that each unborn human aborted has their own separate genetic identity. Hmmm who are the ones that deny science?

CW on October 28, 2011 at 7:05 PM

We’ve degenerated to the point that animals are more valuable than children.

listens2glenn on October 28, 2011 at 7:02 PM

You’ve got that right. This is OT, or perhaps TTT (Tangential To Topic, but PETA is suing Sea World on 13th Amendment grounds.

Maybe we could have a Hot Air thread on this? Slave the Whales! :-)

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 7:06 PM

sesquipedalian on October 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Horse crap. The child IS the point in the argument.

There’s a qualitative difference in using cute adorable kids, like this or the little girl’s smile after cleft-palate repair surgery, and Vice President A$$hat indoctrinating a bunch of 5th graders with his class warfare talking points.

peski on October 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM

CW on October 28, 2011 at 7:02 PM

I’m pro-choice and I’ve never lied about it.

I had a baby recently. We did the tests. If they had come back saying the baby had Downs, it would have been aborted. About as honest as I can be.

(Yes I know, I’m going to hell, I am a horrible person, etc).

angryed on October 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM

angryed on October 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Yup. Truthful.

unclesmrgol on October 28, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Wonderful post Tina and FB post by the dad. It was with posts like this that hearts and minds will be turned.

Yes, with my doubts about the legal system changing and prosecutors and judges actually prosecuting abortion cases, after they figure out who they have to consider for charges ie the mom, the dad, the doctors, the nurses, the parents, the school counselor, the friend, for money for the abortion or the pressure to have an abortion I share some of the blame.

We have been in the darkness so long, with 50 million deaths in the US alone, that it is hard to see that it can be done.

Need to trust in God more and pray for the Tina’s of the world to win the fight.

journeyintothewhirlwind on October 28, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Most have had abortions or been part of an abortion decision in the past. For them to admit to such an abhorrent act is beyond their ability. They go into full defense mode and often to the point of joking about the value and humanity of the unborn child. They cannot even admit to the fact that each unborn human aborted has their own separate genetic identity. Hmmm who are the ones that deny science?

CW on October 28, 2011 at 7:05 PM

This is why I think organizations like Project Rachel are so important. They help women acknowledge what they’ve done and work through the grief and guilt — in other words, to repent. (To repent means literally to think again. Repentance isn’t a state of permanently feeling wretched — it’s a state of having rethought your previous wrong actions and being resolved never to repeat them.)

“This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners…” Timothy 1:15

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 7:15 PM

(Yes I know, I’m going to hell, I am a horrible person, etc).

Yeah, you are a horrible person. You’d kill your own child. It doesn’t get much more horrible than that. What, do you want a prize for being a monster? Congratulations, you’re completely evil.

I’m not going to sugarcoat anything when you come on here bragging about how you would kill your own child. I hope you had your tubes tied so no other child’s life hangs in the balance of your whims.

Vera on October 28, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I’m pro-choice and I’ve never lied about it.

(Yes I know, I’m going to hell, I am a horrible person, etc).

angryed on October 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I appreciate your honesty. Personally, I consider myself both pro-choice and pro-life. Unlike many here, I don’t really have any problem with the “morning after” pill, or even very early term abortion, because I don’t consider a fetus a person at the very early stage. At some point, a line is crossed, and I’m adamantly opposed to abortion in the third trimester.

Where that line exactly is, I don’t know, but it’s somewhere in that zone for me.

The problem is that most pro-choice advocates refuse to face the fact that at some point during a pregnancy the fetus has become a baby waiting to be born, and that killing it is not a “choice”, it’s just evil.

By the way, you’re not going to hell – don’t believe in that stuff.

peski on October 28, 2011 at 7:17 PM

angryed on October 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM

You wouldn’t have considered adoption?

Mary in LA on October 28, 2011 at 7:22 PM

A fetus is not a sentient entity. That means it does not know it exists. Ergo, there is no moral reason not to terminate a fetus that will be doomed to have a mental or physical retardation that will significantly affect the quality of life. In fact, not terminating it is the selfish act, because to feel good about yourself, you condemn someone to live that life. You are doing nobody any favors by not terminating diseases fetuses. You may sleep well at night thinking that your god approves, but all you have done is to assuage your own conscience at the expense of someone else’s lifelong suffering. And don’t tell me they don’t suffer. Whether it be Downs, or a million other disorders, nobody wants to be born that way. And there is only one person who can prevent that kind of existence and that person chose to do nothing.

Anti-abortion people are living in some parallel universe.

keep the change on October 28, 2011 at 7:25 PM