Donald Trump to Piers Morgan: The OWS protests are “sort of … cool”

posted at 7:22 pm on October 27, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Tonight on the Piers Morgan show, Donald Trump talks China, Gov. Rick Perry, birtherism and Occupy Wall Street — and, on that last subject, he has an unexpected take:

“I sort of think it’s cool,” he says. “There’s something I like about it.”

But Trump is worried about how it affects business: “They’ve been there a long time, and perhaps they shouldn’t be allowed to stay that long. A lot of decisions have to be made, because it’s getting bigger and bigger and businesses are very much being affected.”

Good luck getting them to go away; Michael Bloomberg missed that boat. Far from dissipating, the protesters just seem to be entrenching themselves ever more deeply. Perhaps “the crackdown cometh” in some places, but the end doesn’t appear to be near in NYC.

In the meantime, Trump’s statements don’t really come as a surprise. He’s a fellow who likes to pop off for shock value — and who can blame him? He receives such attention and gains such traction when he does. And, to be fair, his comments “in favor” of Occupy Wall Street came after he explained that he’d been asked to do an interview with representatives of the movement. That’s what he thinks is cool — the idea of interviewing the protesters. (The snippet from the CNN article was a bit misleading in that respect — had to watch the interview to catch the full context of his comments.)

But there is also something kinda cool about the protests themselves — and I say that as someone who has called them ludicrous and immature from the start. Anytime people amass in groups and the full messiness of humanity is on display, I can’t help but marvel at it. Do I wish the protesters would show more respect for themselves and their surroundings? Yes. But do I also sometimes want to camp out with them and truly immerse myself in the sheer spectacle of the marauding masses? You betcha.

Critics of the movement have said the protesters are crazy, that it’s unreasonable to reason with the unreasonable, that the inchoate movement is also insistently incoherent, that the environment they’ve created is unsanitary, unsavory and even a bit sickening. Some critics give a little more credence to the movement and at least acknowledge that some OWS-ers have put forward concrete demands — but those critics are still quick to dismiss those demands with well-reasoned rebuttals. But, in the end, all critics must accept these protesters as, well, persons — which means, like it or not, we have more in common with them than we don’t. Weird, right? But also “sort of … cool.”

Comments

Yeah. There’s just something way cool about taking over other people’s property form your own gain

davidk on October 27, 2011 at 7:25 PM

There is also something cool about sexual assaults

The Notorious G.O.P on October 27, 2011 at 7:30 PM

“But, in the end, all critics must accept these protesters as, well, persons —…”

Tina…

… I don’t suppose you have had the chance to see Peter Schiff’s video in Allah’s thread, have you?

Seven Percent Solution on October 27, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Rx: Cold weather.

IlikedAUH2O on October 27, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Cool but stinky…

d1carter on October 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Rx: Cold weather.

IlikedAUH2O on October 27, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Cold beats cool.

CW on October 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM

“I sort of think it’s cool,” he says. “There’s something I like about it.”

Man, that thar guy just showed me he’s a cupple bails a hay short of a load.

Gotta love the Trumpster.

PappyD61 on October 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM

…What’s really cool is gang rape….
…………..yelling racial slurs at people..
…………………..hanging out with the aryan brotherhood…
…………………………..and kicking homeless people to the curb…

“OWS is AWESOME!!!!!”

Baxter Greene on October 27, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Keep sending the homeless for the free high end eats and wait for winter.

LeeSeneca on October 27, 2011 at 7:34 PM

puhleeze…

the oakland mayor is now caving to these idiots…

cmsinaz on October 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Actually, I like the OWS. Invariably, liberals and Dems must support them, and the OWS crowd will invariably embarrass liberals and Dems.

It can’t hurt conservatives to have some widely publicized kooks on the news turning off independent voters. Crapping on cop cars and demanding free stuff are great touches.

BuckeyeSam on October 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I didn’t listen to the video because he says the same exact thing every single night on Greta.

Maybe the Donald will change his tune when the goons come and camp out at Trump Tower.

Knucklehead on October 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM

and, on that last subject, he has an unexpected take:

Only to people who have never heard of him.

Ronnie on October 27, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I’m guessing the Donald is going into the rope selling business

karl9000 on October 27, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Ah, youth. Foolish, naïve youth. :)

OhioCoastie on October 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM

They are talking about a possible Nor’easter this weekend…do these storms usually encompass NYC and, more importantly, tax payer sucking parasites?
They rank right up there with Tina’s ‘personhoods’.

HornetSting on October 27, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Donald, That badger on your head is eating into your brain.

katy the mean old lady on October 27, 2011 at 7:47 PM

What’s stoppin’ ya?

Common sense, I hope.

hillbillyjim on October 27, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Well Donald, head down to Zucotti, pull up a sleeping bag and get comfy. What’s stopping you?

Urban Infidel on October 27, 2011 at 7:50 PM

You shoulda been in South Central Los Angeles after the Rodney King verdict. Lynchings in the South in the early 20th century. In the streets of Afghanistan after the rumor some U.S. military member flushed a Koran down the toilet. A Nazi rally. Anarchists in London. History is full of angry mobs, none of them good.

Our Tina is a closet Democrat. :|

Paul-Cincy on October 27, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I’m sorry, but this is a WTF HotAir piece for me. These occupy protests are not something I would ever expose my kids or myself to. These people are incoherent due to either ignorance or drugs or both. I see nothing redeeming in them at all.

KickandSwimMom on October 27, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Why OWS is pointless is because we’re NOT a dictatorship, or an oligarchy, or any other nation ruled by a few powerful interests. There’s no dictator to accede to any of the protester’s demands (if they HAD any). No. Change will occur has it has for the last 235 some odd years. The democratic process. These protests are a silly hiccup. They should take a cue from the Tea Party and have an actual agenda to push through the electoral process.

Paul-Cincy on October 27, 2011 at 7:56 PM

It appears that it is possible to have more money than neurons.

percysunshine on October 27, 2011 at 7:57 PM

LOL. Yes. A heavily publicized event that might feature Trump prominently. For The Donald, that’s way cool.

Paul-Cincy on October 27, 2011 at 7:59 PM

PLEASE God, one word:

BLIZZARD!

SDarchitect on October 27, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Glad he’s not in the running for prez!

balkanmom on October 27, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Good luck getting them to go away; Michael Bloomberg missed that boat.

…..and so has the Oakland mayor.

Quan Pulls 180, Allows Occupy Oakland to Stay

…these are the same people who insist that we don’t need to arm ourselves because they can protect us….
…..you know…the same people that are getting their butts handed to them by a bunch of clueless,marxist idiots.

Of course this is going to end badly….
….these city leaders are empowering these anti-capitalist thugs more and more everyday.
Pretty soon…they are going to want their insane demands met and riot until they get their way.

This has nothing to do with “income equality” and everything to do with getting far left activist elected on the Hill.

Just like the anti-war leftist protesting had nothing to do with “War” and everything to do with getting a far left President elected.

When Obama was elected…war stayed and the protesters disappeared.

Now they have invented a new reason to “take it to the streets” so that their base will get energized and the money will flow in for Obama.

Baxter Greene on October 27, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Dear Mr. Trump,

Please by all means if they interest you, go right ahead and invite them to stay in the Trump Towers. I’m sure that your tenants will love them, just like you. There is nothing like understanding them when a majority of your tenants are threatening to break their leases.

Fondly,

Ms. M

mkm19602000 on October 27, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Okay, who will be the first to ‘fess up to being supportive (at one time or another) of this loon for POTUS?

Splashman on October 27, 2011 at 8:10 PM

I caught this over at PJ Media:

Like other Tea Party groups, the Richmond (VA) Tea Party has played by the rules. They paid permit fees to hold their rallies, they paid for the extra police and portajohns that such rallies demand. In all, they’ve paid $10,000 for their rallies to the local government.

The occupiers? Not so much. In fact, they haven’t filed for any permits and they haven’t paid a dime.

So the Richmond Tea Party, seeking fair treatment, has invoiced the Richmond city government to get its costs reimbursed.

MaggiePoo on October 27, 2011 at 8:15 PM

I do like that they recognize that TARP and the bailouts were stupid. I don’t like that they are so dumb they buy into every talking point the Dems tell them.

jeffn21 on October 27, 2011 at 8:28 PM

MaggiePoo on October 27, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Awesome. Even if no refund is forthcoming, it’s worth it to throw the double-standard back in their faces.

Feedie on October 27, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 27, 2011 at 8:38 PM

The Donald says Herman Cain has a tremendous leadership style.

He must have met Herman too.

jimw on October 27, 2011 at 9:40 PM

There’s nothing cool about interviewing idiots. Just ask Joe Scarborough. He does it 5 days a week. It’s a living but not much else.

But there is also something kinda cool about the protests themselves — and I say that as someone who has called them ludicrous and immature from the start. Anytime people amass in groups and the full messiness of humanity is on display, I can’t help but marvel at it. Do I wish the protesters would show more respect for themselves and their surroundings? Yes. But do I also sometimes want to camp out with them and truly immerse myself in the sheer spectacle of the marauding masses? You betcha.

So is this Tina Korbe pathetically trying to gain traction, but instead demonstrating a severe lack of intelligence and judgement? You betcha.

Basilsbest on October 27, 2011 at 10:16 PM

“I sort of think it’s cool,” he says. “There’s something I like about it.”

Reading that made me think of this clip

WhoU4 on October 27, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Anyone hear that Soros met with the NYCPD Chief Kelly within the last week?

I find that hard to believe but a co-worker was telling me about it earlier today.

If true………………hello sleepy media heads.

PappyD61 on October 27, 2011 at 11:18 PM

davidk on October 27, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Well, that would be consistent with his attempt at using eminent domain to take away some little old lady’s home in Atlantic City so he could build a parking garage for his casino.

Trump is a jerk. Always has been. The tiny shred of respect that I’ve ever had for him is only because of his business knowledge.

And don’t forget, he strongly supported 0bama in 2008. What does that tell you about his judgement and his character?

UltimateBob on October 28, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Our Tina is a closet Democrat. :|

Paul-Cincy on October 27, 2011 at 7:51 PM

That certainly is a stereotype of young and/or unmarried women with evidence to back it up. Obama has personally blamed them for his victory. Tina! Please be careful, stay in the light!

scotash on October 28, 2011 at 4:29 AM