Video: Rise of the Obamavilles

posted at 12:05 pm on October 26, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Since the Occupy Wall Streeters first appeared in prominent spaces of New York City, speculation has been rampant about how long they’ll stay outside. NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg has been gracious to them, the owner of Zuccotti Park hasn’t complained about the unsanitary conditions they’ve created and even the NYPD have looked the other way as some protesters recently erected tents contrary to code. It’s becoming increasingly clear: Cold won’t chase these protesters away — at least not immediately. Nor are the NYC protesters alone in their persistence. Across the country (and even around the world), countless others have joined the movement — and appear similarly committed to sticking to their spots as long as possible.

The little tent cities they’ve created resemble nothing so much as they resemble … Hoovervilles. Sure, most of the protesters aren’t homeless, but many are jobless — and that’s the point. Whatever they say it is they’re protesting, they wouldn’t have “occupied” whatever street or city they’re occupying if the country were in a time of lower unemployment. Many of the policies President Barack Obama has championed — not least Obamacare — have contributed to the country’s joblessness. So, it seems neither unfair nor inappropriate to say, regardless of whether they realize it or call it by name and regardless of who else has contributed to the borderline corrupt culture of a federal government in bed with business, the protesters are, in fact, protesting the Obama economy. And that would make those Hoovervilles … Obamavilles.

The American Action Network has capitalized on that comparison with this new video that lays it all out clearly and plainly, investing the Occupy Wall Street protests with more meaning than the protesters themselves have:

As always, the numbers — and the president — speak for themselves. He’s comfortable owning the economy (as are Joe Biden and Debbie Wasserman Schultz), so let him own it. He inherited 7.8 percent unemployment. The rate now stands at 9.1 percent — and the only proposals the president has put forward are proposals that can’t even pass the Democratically-controlled Senate. Obama might throw a bone to the protesters now and then — as he has with student loans, for example — but he’s not about to actually disavow his own questionable business associations nor is he likely to create conditions in which employment and middle class incomes go up. If the protesters remain until the unemployment rate goes down, they’ll be there for a very long time.

Comments

Ha!

Lotion Man sighting at 0:15 (with a new look).

He’s everywhere, like the Greek Protest Dog – only less clean.

aquaviva on October 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM

new term for a tent…ObamaCasa

DanMan on October 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Obamavilles???? Perfect. Did you come up with that Tina? For those who don’t get the joke….

cynccook on October 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

golfmann on October 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Hey, I was calling them Obamavilles first. :(

lorien1973 on October 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

If these protesters had degrees in Engineering or Business, instead of Post-Colonial Neo-African Art or Wymyn’s Studies, they might realize that their protest actually hurts their preferred party.

Hiya Ciska on October 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Hiya Ciska on October 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

You have a point, but if they had degrees in Engineering or Business, they would be much more likely to have a job, and therefore wouldn’t be out in the streets.

Vashta.Nerada on October 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM

It’s a small detail….but actually if I understand it correctly, a lot of these people actually are employed….employed to participate in these ridiculous spectacles.

search4truth on October 26, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Post-Colonial Neo-African Art

Instant thread winner. I’m gonna poach that one.

av8tr on October 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM

You can’t preach the truth to those engaged in “occupation” because most of them won’t accept it, they’re too busy excoriating the Evil Du Jour. Today it’s the rich, tomorrow Big Whatever, the day after it will be the “Tea Baggers”, but rarely is it Obama, the guy they turned out for in droves back in 2008.

You’re asking the Ows crowd to, in effect, blame themselves, and that will NEVER happen.

Bishop on October 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Obamavilles

petefrt on October 26, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Hey, I was calling them Obamavilles first. :(

lorien1973 on October 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

LOL You are certainly very clever, too! It does seem like an insult to those Depression families, though. They were absolutely desperate for work and would have been glad to take an honest day’s labor (or dishonest, depending on how many little mouths they had to feed) in an instant, no matter how lowly. My Grandfather was an electrical engineer with a degree from the University of Chicago and he was happy to dig coal during the worst of it. Quite a contrast with the foul-smelling, lazy and entitled hippies who occupy these “Obamavilles,” isn’t it?

cynccook on October 26, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Lotion Man sighting at 0:15 (with a new look).

aquaviva on October 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM

“I gah arresid yesiday fuh disawlly conduck.”

Ahhh, yes…a communications major, as well…

Dopenstrange on October 26, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Have to agree with cynccook there, these ows freakshows aren’t even close to a real Hooverville.

Remove the piles of donated food, money, and gear and most of the protesters would slink back home. Hell, youn see pics from the depression of kids who didn’t even have shoes, yet the ows thinks they’re making the ultimate sacrifice by having to eat pizza that wasn’t made with imported tomatoes.

Bishop on October 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Bishop on October 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Bullseye.

Vashta.Nerada on October 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Obamavilles

petefrt on October 26, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I think that’s an Obamavillian. Man is that ever an appropriate conjunction eh?

DanMan on October 26, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Hiya Ciska on October 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

If they had degrees in engineering they’d have running water, flush toilets, electricity, heating, air conditioning, and sanitation, and not drum circles and “indigenous grandmother” seminars. (No kidding, actually happened at Occupy Oakland!!)

Trafalgar on October 26, 2011 at 12:40 PM

There’s a key difference between Hoovervilles and Obamavilles – Obama embraces the Obamavilles. At least until they become a political liability, and then it’s under the bus with them.

Ward Cleaver on October 26, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Wellll, looky here:

sooprise sooprise

Sekhmet on October 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM

The ObamaVillers are the very reason it’s a waste of time to even discuss the plight of Americans. They’re too stupid to realize that the source of their woes is the very person they’re protesting for.

stacman on October 26, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Potomekin villages for the media to film, or might these be the prototypes for the Utopian communities of Obama’s promised world.

For a messiah, you’d think he could do better than tents.
How does he get the Kobe beef distributed to his underlings or do they take turns waiting for scraps and bone like obediant mastifs under his royal table?

Don L on October 26, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Yes, yes, but Obama just now said, (live), that the Republicans in the Senate blocked his Jobs Bill—who are we supposed to believe? /

Rovin on October 26, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Wellll, looky here:

sooprise sooprise

Sekhmet on October 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Not much surprise there. I think we all knew they were never defunded or disbanded. They were bound to surface at some point during this election cycle. I’d rather see them associated with OWS, and the trailer trash drawn to the cause, than with fake voter registration like the liberals always do. Although I’m sure they’re already doing that too…

stacman on October 26, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Well, he didn’t lie that he would fundamentally transform America with his hope and change.

I’ll bet Romney is going to beat him be offering to buy us all pop up trailers with real beds.

Don L on October 26, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Mitt Romney was talking about the rise of Obamaville way back in March long before anyone else was making the connection between Hooverville and Obamavilles.

Conservative Samizdat on October 26, 2011 at 12:50 PM

The only thing that’s gotten better is Obama’s golf handicap.

John Deaux on October 26, 2011 at 12:54 PM

A recent thermal scan of the tents in Dallas showed only one of 10 actually occupied at night; the rest are for show, with the protestors actually going elsewhere for the night.

michaelo on October 26, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Rise of the Obamavilles

Excellent find.

Next project: “We’d Like to Thank You, Barrack Obama“, a parody based on
We’d Like to Thank You, Herbert Hoover from the Little Orphan Annie musical.

EconomicNeocon on October 26, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Nothing says poverty like a $1200 Marmot tent…

Odie1941 on October 26, 2011 at 1:05 PM

I’m sure ernesto is in need of a good wash by now…

Seven Percent Solution on October 26, 2011 at 1:05 PM

I love the term…………….Obamavilles.

SC.Charlie on October 26, 2011 at 1:12 PM

There’s no limit to what one can accomplish – If you’re willing to let others take the credit.

R.R.

golfmann on October 26, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Didn’t Jimmy Buffet do a song with a similar name?

patch on October 26, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Wasted away again in Barackobamaville,
Searching for my big box of free stuff,
Some people say there’s a Congress to blame,
But I know,
Its W’s fault.

BobMbx on October 26, 2011 at 2:14 PM

These whiny, listless, parasitic slugs are Obama’s kind of people.

rplat on October 26, 2011 at 2:24 PM

…I stepped on a turd pile
Woke up in green bile
Lost my cell had to cruise on back home
But there’s booze in my backpack
And soon I will be back
And those new friends they’re beginning to phone

Let’s get stoned again in Obamaville
Lacking for any sense of shame
Some people say that we’re the ones at fault
But we know…we have W to blame

DanMan on October 26, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Comparing the unsanitary, waste-strewn, garbage ridden sites of leftist rallies with the neat, litter picked-up, practically pristine sites of tea party rallies, I came to the conclusion that the difference is the OWS people are all about “me” and the Tea Partiers are all about “us.” That may seem counter-intuitive, given the Marxist bent of the OWS protestors and their collectivist psychology, but the OWS people are ranting because they believe that someone else is depriving “me” from having my heart’s desires. The Tea Party is worried that the government’s policies are destroying “us”, that is, the nation.

NNtrancer on October 26, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Sure, most of the protesters aren’t homeless

Not true in Portland, OR, where most of the Occupy Portland residents are either homeless, or needing basic services help:

See: Notes From the Occupation

and

Pics and Portland Police Day in the Life Safety Report

M2inOR on October 26, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Nibblin on happy cake
Watchin the garbage bake
All of those hippies covered with oil
Strummin my six-string
In my tent’s fairy ring
Smell those pizzas, they’re beginnin to spoil

Chorus:
Wastin away again in Barry’s Obamaville
Searching for my lost six-pack of malt
Some people claim that there’s a banker to blame
But I know it’s everybody’s fault

I don’t know the reason
I’ll stay here all season
Nothin to show but this brand new tattoo
But it’s a real beauty
A Mahattan cutie
How it got here I haven’t a clue

Chorus:
Wastin away again in Barry’s Obamaville
Searchin for my lost six-pack of malt
Some people claim that there’s a banker to blame
Now I think
Hell, it couldn’t be my fault

(Apologies to Jimmy)

Yoop on October 26, 2011 at 3:15 PM

THE REST:

I blew out my tent flap
Stepped in a pile of crap
Lost my iPad, then my iPhone
But there’s weed from a lender
And soon it will render
That cloud of smoke that helps me hang on

Wastin away again in Barry’s Obamaville
Searching for my lost six-pack of malt
Some people claim that there’s a banker to blame
But I know it’s everybody’s fault
Yes and some people claim that there’s a banker to blame
And I know it’s all their fault.

(another apology to Jimmie)

Yoop on October 26, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Okay Yoop, let’s rewrite A Pirate Looks at 40…

Yes I am an ingrate
42 years too late…

DanMan on October 26, 2011 at 3:48 PM

As much as I love Jimmy’s music…he’s an Obie fan. Sigh….

Fighton03 on October 26, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I think you’ll need to back this up, Tina. Who in the wider world is joining Nazis/commies/anarchists asking for free everything in America?

He inherited 7.8 percent unemployment. The rate now stands at 9.1 percent

Much higher than that.

disa on October 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Some People claim that it’s Boooooosh we should Blaaaaaaaame….

But I know…

It’s the jug-eared-marxist-corrupt-dope’s own fault.

(yeah…that last line doesn’t really flow).

Tim_CA on October 27, 2011 at 3:50 PM

As much as I love Jimmy’s music…he’s an Obie fan. Sigh….

Fighton03 on October 26, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Yeah…go figure….the guy that merchandises his entire career into blenders/flip-flops/bars/beer/tequila and restaurants.

The consumate phony.