Romney: I really, really support Gov. Kasich’s collective bargaining reforms; Update: Romney set up?

posted at 1:25 pm on October 26, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Mitt Romney raised eyebrows yesterday by his refusal to take an explicit position on Ohio Gov. John Kasich’s effort to limit the ability of public-sector employee unions to engage in collective bargaining. Efforts by Kasich and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker to clean up state budgets and to bust the monopolies of public-sector unions have been particularly controversial, both attracting and alienating voters. For Romney, then, to stand squarely in support of Kasich’s reforms yesterday — especially given his previously expressed support for the law — would have been a particularly principled thing for Romney to do.

Well, lower the eyebrows, people, because he expressed unequivocal support today:

“I’m sorry if I created any confusion in that regard,” Romney said, according to POLITICO’s Reid Epstein. “I fully support [Republican] Gov. [John] Kasich’s — I think it’s called Question 2. I fully support that.”

Romney said in Ohio that he wouldn’t be addressing “particular ballot issues.” In Virginia today, he said he meant he wouldn’t be addressing ballot issues other than the labor law.

“What I was referring to is I know there are other ballot questions there in Ohio and I wasn’t taking a position on those,” he said, per Reid. “With regard to Question 2, which is the collective bargaining question, I am 110 percent behind Gov. Kasich in support of that.”

And, as it turns out, he probably had good reason to ignore the “other ballot questions” in Ohio — because one of them happened to be an initiative to prevent the government from requiring individuals to purchase health insurance. Why raise the specter of Romneycare himself?

Still, even with this clarification, folks still say Romney’s resistance yesterday reinforces his spineless image. Certainly, it didn’t do anything to dispel the popular notion of him as a flipper — but, given that Kasich’s law looks likely to be repealed, I’d say Romney’s support for it today suggests that, on this, at least, he has actual conviction.

Update (Allahpundit): Was it a set up? Business Insider thinks so:

GOP chairman Kevin DeWine, who did not support Kasich’s gubernatorial campaign, brought Mitt Romney, displaying his political clout. But apparently no one informed Mitt Romney what the Ohio ballot initiatives were about or whether he had a position on them. When asked yesterday if he supported Issue 2, Mitt Romney punted. “I am not speaking about the particular ballot issues,” Romney said, “Those are up to the people of Ohio.”…

Two sources with ties to Governor Kasich suggested that the Romney appearance was designed to humiliate Ohio’s governor.

Specifically, they suggested, Romney was advised not to take a side on this unpopular issue.

“I can tell you that those [DeWine's] sentiments [about Issue 2] have been made clear to governor Romney. The opinion of those close to the [Ohio] chairman is that Romney should stay as far away from this thing as possible. That it is unpopular,” said the experienced operative.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

nswider on October 26, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Repeating the same “excuse” over and over again, doesn’t mean people are going to accept your excuses for Mitt Romney’s performance on the campaign trail yesterday. Go ahead call it BS again, see if it convinces anyone to change their opinion of what happened yesterday when he had the opportunity to show his support of the bill. It’s not like this Bill, is a big secret being kept by Ohio republicans. After all as you pointed out he supported it in June. Romney could have asked for clarification of which Bill was being referred to, on the spot, and he didn’t. Now he’s in damage control…that’s pretty standard in a political campaign so I really don’t see why you are arguing he deserves to be treated any differently than any other candidate in the same position he finds himself.

Do you think in the General election you can cry foul ball, and the Obama campaign team will say, okay we won’t use it against him because it’s not fair? I am not a Pollyanna, this isn’t anything coming close to the hard ball, Mitt would be hit with in the General.

Dr Evil on October 26, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Sr. Windsock strikes again.

*sigh. . .*

RedNewEnglander on October 26, 2011 at 2:57 PM

This guy can walk down he street and you guys would jump all over him. Non issue.

nswider on October 26, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Are you a Cain supporter now? Oh? Nevermind.

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 2:58 PM

“But apparently no one informed Mitt Romney what the Ohio ballot initiatives were about or whether he had a position on them”

No one informed Mitt about whether or not he had a position on an initiative?? That’s kinda the problem right? Someone else has to inform him of his opinion.

brainy435 on October 26, 2011 at 2:59 PM

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Strange response.

nswider on October 26, 2011 at 2:59 PM

The 1952 Eisenhower campaign by a non politician won because people said, “I like Ike.”

jimw on October 26, 2011 at 2:56 PM

That’s true Cain is likable that’s why MSDNC is constantly tearing him down. The media marketed their cult of personality to the American electorate, they know how they got their guy elected, and they are worried the republicans will find their own Mr Popularity.

People need to ask themselves could Herman Cain do a worse job than Barack Obama.

Dr Evil on October 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Strange response.

nswider on October 26, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Yeah. I know. Just sounds like something a Cain supporter would say.

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM

So Mittens got setup by one of his establishment buddies?

As they say … “no honor among theives”.

Maybe Mittens should pick his friends more carefully?

Just a suggestion.

HondaV65 on October 26, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Dang, why did they have to make a headline thread about the update. Its not like I don’t already have too many tabs open.

cozmo on October 26, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Dr Evil on October 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Nope, gotta’ tougher question? I have some time.

cozmo on October 26, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Dr Evil on October 26, 2011 at 2:56 PM

He didnt ask for clarification because he didnt think it was a big issue. He just took the position that he didnt want to comment on very state ballot initiative. He never changed positions on Kasichs ballot initiative, not once. Once he realized people were making it a big deal, he clarified, strongly. I dont get the anger over this of all things. Im not trying to convince any commentators at Hot Air of anything, I know you dont support him, but other people who cant comment read these comments and when I see a blatant smear job happening, I say something.

nswider on October 26, 2011 at 3:04 PM

HondaV65 on October 26, 2011 at 3:01 PM

This is all much ado about nothing.

Really Right on October 26, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Hmm…media throws a fit over a candidate’s statement, candidate has to walk it back/clarify/explain. You know who this helps? ROFLMMFAO

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 3:06 PM

He’s supposed to stay out of having an opinion about a major piece of legislation in Ohio? He should present himself as a squish on the issue, that’s the advice he’s getting? Ohio a swing state the republican nominee needs to win in the general, should just vote present. I guess the republican logic is because that worked so well for Obama. How many republicans voted for Obama in Ohio in 2008?

Right now if I was Mitt Romney, I would be asking “who is running this mickey mouse outfit”

Dr Evil on October 26, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Ive never started anything on here, Ive been nothing but respectful to everyone and Im getting sick and tired of being called juvenile names by faceless anonymous people. I am who I am on here, I link to my twitter, I dont hide and Im sick of other people who do just calling me a mitt bot because I disagree that Perry or Cain are viable candidates.

nswider on October 26, 2011 at 2:14 PM

You were referring to Romney supporters being called names, and you deny being a Romney supporter. So, who’s calling YOU names?

fossten on October 26, 2011 at 3:06 PM

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM

I dont dislike any candidate, Ill support whoever it is, but I dont think Cain is serious. I think its a Perry/Romney battle though the polls dont reflect that yet. Ok, its been fun, daughter awake from nap, until next time.

nswider on October 26, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Flip flopping away
Flip flopping away
You know the nearer the destination
The more Mitt’s flip flopping away.
h/t Paul Simon

“What I was referring to is I know there are other ballot questions there in Ohio and I wasn’t taking a position on those.”

Just keep digging ….

AH_C on October 26, 2011 at 3:07 PM

But the idea he did say it is easily believed, because he is trying not to make waves and coast into home with the clock closing out the opposition. Why did the early primary States just move everything up by 6 weeks?
jimw on October 26, 2011 at 2:56 PM

I don’t think there is some conspiracy here as you state…Pun intended. ;o)

I think all of the States have brought up the fact that each wanted to feel or be more relevant and was trying to get more distance from the others thus creating their own domino effect. I don’t believe the majority of us think Romney is behind this all…

I will give you that he is not stopping any of it (nor could he) as it will likely benefit his campaign.

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 3:08 PM

That it is unpopular,” said the experienced operative.

Anybody care if it’s the right thing to do?

mankai on October 26, 2011 at 3:09 PM

fossten on October 26, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I am a Romney supporter, didnt deny that.

nswider on October 26, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I dont get the anger over this of all things nswider on October 26, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Well there you go it’s not anger, it’s amusement those are two different “emotions” it’s funny. Romney had a misstep, it’s just a hardee har har moment and nothing more. He’s gonna do it again, people can’t get their panty’s in a twist every time he does, it’s part of campaigning. If Mitt is the nominee, he’s going to come up against the Liberal Media Smear machine. If this gives his supporters heartburn, imagine when Mitt get’s the Sarah Palin treatment by Obamedia. You all just need to butch it up a little, and yes I am joking. Every comment on a thread about Romney is not a do or die event. It’s just not that big a thing.

I do question the advice he’s getting – exit question, time for a shake up at team Romney?

Dr Evil on October 26, 2011 at 3:13 PM

nswider on October 26, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Of course you’ll support any candidate in the general. You’re not a blithering moron. My concern goes deeper than that, which makes it funny to hear Romney’s supporters making excuses for him a la Herman Cain.

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I am a Romney supporter, didnt deny that.

nswider on October 26, 2011 at 3:09 PM

No, but this comment led me to believe that you weren’t one. It’s a little confusing.

I dont call out Romney supporters because there are so few.

nswider on October 26, 2011 at 2:22 PM

fossten on October 26, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I don’t believe the majority of us think Romney is behind this all…
g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Seeing as how Iowa and New Hampshire have laws on the books that their caucus or primary has to be first, and other states have regulations their their primary, or caucus, has to take place before some rival state, you are most likely right. Besides, this isn’t the first cycle it has been done.

But blaming Romney has a fun conspiracy feel to it. And you know how some folks flock to conspiracies.

cozmo on October 26, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Anybody care if it’s the right thing to do?

mankai on October 26, 2011 at 3:09 PM

*shakes Magic 8-ball*

HeLLz NO!

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I dont get the anger over this of all things

nswider on October 26, 2011 at 3:04 PM

All I can say is, you should have seen the Palin threads when she made the Paul Revere comment.

Turnabout is fair play.

fossten on October 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM

AH_C, Dr Evil, right2bright, cozmo, etc as long as you all are honest in evaluating YOUR choices I am fine with any Romney critiques, however, I never see you all walk back on anything and believe me there is plenty by ALL of our candidates. It just appears that you all love jumping on the Romney train and I think that is what nsdeven and a few other Romney supporters point is is that YOU ALL never seem to think your candidates do or say anything wrong. IMO of course… :o)

Reminds me of great Billy Joel song: “Honesty…is such a lonely word…” everyone now!

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Turnabout is fair play.

fossten on October 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I find it worth mentioning one more time, the Paul Revere comment was factually 100% correct.

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 3:18 PM

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Dang, I’m starting to like you.

cozmo on October 26, 2011 at 3:18 PM

the Paul Revere comment was factually 100% correct.

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Who’s Paul Revere?

Should I know him? ;o)

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Dang, I’m starting to like you.

cozmo on October 26, 2011 at 3:18 PM

That says as much about you as it says about me. LOL

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Who’s Paul Revere?

Should I know him? ;o)

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Revolutionary War-era silversmith and minuteman. Google it. :P

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM

So, Mitt Flip incapable of independent thought?

publiuspen on October 26, 2011 at 3:22 PM

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM

What, I’ve never denied that I’m all about ABO. I like Cain, but don’t think he will be the nominee. I am most familiar with Perry because I am a Texas political junkie that supported Medina over him in the last gubernatorial primary. And I’ve always had a soft spot for Gingrich, even when he sat on the couch with Nancy. Romney turned the turkey that would have been the Utah Olympics into a jewel, but I don’t like his brand of republicanism. Even if that is what he had to be to get elected in Massachusetts. I feel the same way about Brown. That’s the best the northeast can do. Country wide, I prefer a little more to the right.

Dang, game six has been postponed until tomorrow.

cozmo on October 26, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Revolutionary War-era silversmith and minuteman. Google it. :P

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM

haha I thought you would know I was joking…Going on my 7th year overseas here in Iraq and now Afghanistan I truly appreciate Paul Revere and we need more Revere’s in our country!

These are the topics we need to be focused on and making sure we change our Congress next year:

Senate Dems begin push to repeal federal marriage law
Senate Democrats next week will begin a push to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act, the 1996 law that defines marriage for federal purposes and, to date, has meant states don’t have to recognize gay marriages performed in other states.

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 3:25 PM

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I figured you were joking. I put that up there more for the ignorant among our ranks. Few though they are, I know they [the ignorant] are out there.

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Well I appreciate the sparring brothers and sisters but I have to get to bed over here in AFG and get ready for another day of fightin’

Keep up the conservative push and will be online tomorrow to see what “kind” Romney words you have for me tomorrow! :o)haha Good nite!

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Who’s Paul Revere?

Should I know him? ;o)

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 3:20 PM

He’s the son of Apollos Rivoire.

Fallon on October 26, 2011 at 3:30 PM

New version of Rock/Paper/Scissors:

Romney beats Perry–Perry beats Gingrich–Gingrich beats himself.

Who is left standing? Cain is already out campaigning for the General election.

The General election will pit the mob of freeloaders demanding money from The Wall Street Rich against whom?

If Romney, then Obama’s new mobocracy wins and Obama has his mandate to redo America.

If Perry, then it will be at best a close race because the indies in the north will not vote for Bossman Perry’s reincarnation of Texas W.

If Gingrich, then Obama will win 50 states over the tired old white guy who wants to teach class to voters.

If Cain, then Obama is a goner because the racial guilt fighters among the northern indies are OK with an Atlanta black man, the middle class northern blacks will turn to him to solve 30% black unemployment, and all of the south loves his style.

jimw on October 26, 2011 at 3:31 PM

One last post:

What is happening to my/our country back home???? This is getting ridiculous and needs to be stopped.

Good night all.

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 3:33 PM

A set up? Give me a break. He was asked a simple question: Do you support the Ohio PEU reform plan you supported in June or not. The correct answer was yes. But instead we got the typical dissembling we’ve come to expect from the Mittster. This is not complicated, just more evidence the guy is a fraud.

DB9 on October 26, 2011 at 3:36 PM

DB9 on October 26, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Would you hold Herman Cain to the same standard? (mind you, I ask this as a reluctant Cain supporter)

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 3:37 PM

That says as much about you as it says about me. LOL

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Could be, but mostly this:

gryphon202 on October 26, 2011 at 3:15 PM

cozmo on October 26, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I’m not buying Romney’s CYA for one second. The guy is a fraud, much like the one in the White House right now.

No Thank You!

Perry 2012!

purgatory on October 26, 2011 at 3:46 PM

I dont call out Romney supporters because there are so few.

nswider on October 26, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Rick Perry supporters are really pathetic. I am the person who is calling out Rick Perry. I am the one that thinks he is a moron, and I stand by it. Don’t attack other people if you have a problem with me.

I don’t get this childish behavior. This whole campaign was very civil until Rick Perry sent out his pastor to attack Romney. That was the day the campaign changed, and that was the day i started saying what i thought about the him.

If you have a problem with me saying what i think about Rick Perry, attack me, and leave other Romney supporters alone.

Like the Washing post says, Rick Perry is a ‘buffoon’, who is not ready to be president.

Chudi on October 26, 2011 at 3:47 PM

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 3:25 PM

\

Navy in Afghanistan is usually a Corpsman.

The Other McCain’s blogger Smitty is Navy serving in Afghanistan too.

Dr Evil on October 26, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Don’t attack other people if you have a problem with me.

Chudi on October 26, 2011 at 3:47 PM

That is so funny on so many levels. You almost never fail to bring comedy gold to a thread.

Thanks chupachudi…now go fluff.

cozmo on October 26, 2011 at 3:54 PM

brainy435 on October 26, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Weeeelll, you’re reading that incorrectly. The comment wasn’t that Romney needed to have his opinion given to him but rather has he held a position on that issue. If he doesn’t read the initiative, then he can’t very well speak on it can he? And telling a candidate the short version of it doesn’t work either because there could be a clause in it that he does not agree with.

This really is a distraction from the real issues that Romney has plaguing him. It wouldn’t surprise me if he did this on purpose to distract us from some other issue.

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 3:55 PM

And they tell me that Romeny is the smartest guy in the room.

Maybe, be he doesn’t have sense.

I mean, he lost to John McCain 3 years ago and he still thinks we want him?

molonlabe28 on October 26, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Chudi on October 26, 2011 at 3:47 PM

This one’s for you Chudi Rock Me Baby

Dr Evil on October 26, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Chudi on October 26, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Yeah, and it backfired on Perry. The guy is a disaster in a debate and he sucks at attacking others because he uses the weakest argument possible.

Perry will do much better if he leaves the fighting to those who are good at it. If he sticks to just trying to articulate the positions he believes in, he will do much better.

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I haven’t seen anyone hate on Perry.

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 3:49 PM

See yourself, and chupachudi above.

cozmo on October 26, 2011 at 4:05 PM

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I know that wasn’t literally what it meant, it was just so odd that the wording fed into what many people already believe about him.

brainy435 on October 26, 2011 at 4:07 PM

A Romney drone could fluff those pillows and we could call them fluffer-1, fluffer2 etc. Besides, guys can be fluffers too.

cozmo on October 26, 2011 at 2:06 PM

*gag

MeatHeadinCA on October 26, 2011 at 4:09 PM

brainy435 on October 26, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Yeah. I took a double take when I read it too.

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 4:21 PM

This is why I won’t vote for Romney under any circumstances. He doesn’t have the conservative chops to get the job done.

Might as well have another 4 years of Obama than have a squish Repub in the WH messing things up. Let it happen under a Dem prez, not an R prez.

Romney really does suck. He is the consummate craven pol and has no convictions.

disa on October 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I am not for or against either Romney or Cain. My observation is just that as a past Town Party Chair, I used to advise candidates to run on their own issues to the greatest degree possible and not take up other peoples issues just because they want you to. In this case, it is a state law; a very important state law, but not a Federal one. That is reason enough not to take an official position on it since Romney is running for Federal office. However, if the principle behind the issue lines up with a major plank in his own campaign, by all means stand behind it to advertise that you plan to move in this direction as a President.

KW64 on October 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM

nswider on October 26, 2011 at 2:14 PM

fossten on October 26, 2011 at 3:06 PM

OMG! He is not denying that he’s a Romney supporter! It’s terrifyingly obvious that you and your playpen pal Cozmo combined don’t have 2 brain cells to rub together.

DB9 on October 26, 2011 at 3:36 PM

NO, that is not the wording of the question he was asked. Is it too much to ask that you all stop making stuff up out of whole cloth?

Buy Danish on October 26, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Here is some fair reporting which does not edit his comments on this idiotic kerfuffle:

The former Massachusetts governor maintained on Wednesday that when he dodged questions about the collective bargaining ballot measure in Ohio, he thought he was sidestepping a question about another issue on the state ballot—a challenge to the individual health care insurance mandate.

He said, “I’m sorry if I created any confusion in that regard. I fully support Gov. Kasich—I think it’s called Question 2 in Ohio. I fully support that. Actually, on my website, back as early as April, I laid out Question 2 and Gov. Kasich’s efforts to restrict collective bargaining in Ohio in the ways he’s described, so I fully support that.

“But what I was referring to is that I know there are other ballot questions there in Ohio and I wasn’t taking a position on those. One of them, for instance, relates to health care and mandates. I’ve said that that should be up to individual states. I, of course, took my state in one direction, they might go into a different direction. I don’t want to tell them what they ought to do in that regard. That’s up to them.”

So yeah, he’s at a phone bank supporting this ballot question, he has supported it in the past, and he still supports it. God forbid someone misunderstands a question that is asked of him.

Buy Danish on October 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Why would Gov. Romney go and then refuse to take a stand? If it is the business of the folks in Ohio, stay away. This just makes him look more indecisive and is unhelpful.

Cindy Munford on October 26, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Cindy Munford on October 26, 2011 at 5:24 PM

He didn’t. It was a misunderstanding. Keep in mind that not only did he write Facebook posts about it, he campaigned for Kasich in 2010. There is no reason in hell for him to back away from Kasich on this. There are a multitude of ballot questions. One more time, the unedited explanation:

Buy Danish on October 26, 2011 at 5:31 PM

My, My, My – look at this post from Teamster Nation dated October 8, 20011, titled, Mitt Romney Loathes Unions.

As if his history of buying companies and firing workers isn’t bad enough, Mitt Romney is attacking unions in his campaign for president. He supports Koch whore Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and Ohio’s SB5, Boeing’s union busting and right-to-work to destroy unions.

They link to a piece by a San Fran professor who says this:

And despite his claims about having the interests of American workers at heart, he is virulently anti-union. At Republican gatherings, Romney frequently proclaims his anti-labor positions, especially with regard to public sector collective bargaining, right-to-work laws, and the National Labor Relations Board’s (NLRB) complaint against Boeing.

Romney has embraced the state-level GOP crusade against public sector bargaining. When Wisconsin governor Scott Walker signed into law a bill outlawing public sector bargaining, Romney applauded his effort to “do what’s necessary to rein in out-of-control public sector pay and benefits.” He also supports Ohio’s sweeping anti-bargaining legislation, which is now on hold until a referendum in November. Yet the Wisconsin and Ohio legislation has nothing to do with financial prudence – lawmakers in other states have negotiated lower costs without eliminating basic labor rights– and everything to do with a power grab against one of the Democrats’ key constituencies.

Buy Danish on October 26, 2011 at 5:41 PM

And then there’s this ABC story from February:

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney became the latest potential 2012 presidential candidate to wade into the standoff between Republicans, Democrats and organized labor in Wisconsin on Thursday — and he’s putting his money where his mouth is.

“Liberal big government interests are fighting efforts to rein in out-of-control public employee pay and benefits in Wisconsin,” Romney said in a statement issued by his political action committee. “It is critical that we stand with the Wisconsin GOP as it stands up for the rights of the taxpayer.”

Romney’s Free and Strong America PAC promptly cut a $5,000 contribution check — the maximum allowable — to the Republican Party of Wisconsin.

More here at Boston dot Com:

Romney has slowly become more vocal on the issue, first tweeting about it last week by asking his supporters to support Walker “for doing what’s necessary to rein in out-of-control public sector pay and benefits.” Yesterday, he used his Twitter account again, this time asking supporters to “Donate now to support Governor Walker and WI GOP senators as they attempt to restore fiscal sanity.” Then today, Romney announced his own donation to Wisconsin Republicans.

Clearly the idea that he would suddenly hedge this issue is preposterous.

P.S. I apologize in advance for multiple comments but sunshine is the best disinfectant and all that..

Buy Danish on October 26, 2011 at 5:49 PM

The Hill, August 15th.
Headline: Romney makes organized labor a favorite whipping boy

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (R) has incorporated vocal criticism of organized labor into his stump speeches, making it a central component of his presidential campaign.

Romney seems to have made unions — traditionally a bugaboo of many conservatives — a focal point of his jabs, hitting labor groups more often than most of his fellow contenders for the Republican presidential nomination.

Twice this week, during campaign stops in the early voting states of Iowa and New Hampshire, Romney expressed unprompted support for so-called right-to-work laws, which allow workers to join a workplace without being forced to either join a union or pay its membership fees.

[snip]

But overall, Romney has tied his criticism of unions into his larger, overarching campaign message about improving the economy and creating jobs. Right-to-work laws, he said Wednesday in Iowa (a state that has such a law on the books), are “a way of having more employment.”

Republicans using rhetoric against organized labor is hardly a new concept. But Romney takes extra strides to jostle with labor.

[snip]

But on Wednesday, the day after Wisconsin Republicans survived an aggressive, union-led campaign to unseat six state senators, Romney was the only GOP presidential candidate to be heard from.

“Despite $25 million spent by Democrats & union bosses on the WI elections, the people have spoken and are standing with @GovWalker,” Romney said on Twitter.

But, but, but he must be destroyed!

Buy Danish on October 26, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Who’s Paul Revere?

Should I know him? ;o)

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 3:20 PM

A Founding 1%-er.

BobMbx on October 26, 2011 at 6:03 PM

There’s probably more older stuff out there specific to Ohio, but it’s hard to pull it up because yesterday’s story dominates Google.

Romney on unions in 2007 Presidential Debate.

I’ll stop now – I’ve made my point that he should be given the benefit of the doubt, that this was a misunderstanding, that he has been completely consistent taking on unions.

Buy Danish on October 26, 2011 at 6:06 PM

But, but, but he must be destroyed!

Buy Danish on October 26, 2011 at 5:56 PM

I don’t like his hair and the way he talks.

Cindy Munford on October 26, 2011 at 6:11 PM

I’m not going to take the nay-sayers reactions seriously on this one. They’re looking for any excuse to jump on Mitt. This one is pretty lame.

scotash on October 26, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Forgot to look at who wrote this — should have known who it was as it mirrors other writings.

Romney flip flopped and was not set up. This is the 4th time he flip flopped on the issue. The fact that anyone would even consider the fact that he was set up is preposterous since he has been running for President since 2004 even while Governor and went through all the debates and interviews in 2008 and yet some writer thinks it was a set up.

A set up is what happened to Rick Perry in the Orlando debate by Roger Ailes from Fox News which fortunately was highlighted by Howard Kurtz.

PhiKapMom on October 26, 2011 at 6:41 PM

I don’t like his hair and the way he talks.
Cindy Munford on October 26, 2011 at 6:11 PM

I see you plan to sulk from here until Election Day (and maybe beyond!). What a shame – I thought you were more of an adult than this. I had advice for Palin which could have helped her: Hire a stylist who knows what they’re doing, work on her speaking skills, stop using cliches and so forth. I was hardly the only person who noticed these things and who urged her to work on them. This was not done out of malice, but because if she was going to run I wanted her to be the best possible candidate in the event she won the nomination and had to go up against Obama. (Granted I thought that was unlikely, but nevertheless, that was the purpose).

I also praised her many times (particularly when she was on the ticket with McCain), and, yes, I also had substantive criticism of her actions once the election was over (quitting the Governorship, letting her daughter appear on Dancing with the Stars, the specific content of some of her speeches – particularly her Iowa speech, stringing along her supporters with lame excuses, and so forth…).

I don’t have a chip on my shoulder, and I go around whining about how unfair the attacks on Mitt are -and to be clear – at this website he is the target of 90% of the criticism from commenters. I rebut them with facts and information (and humor whenever possible). People say the most idiotic things about him on an hourly basis – about his hair, his teeth, his wealth, his religion, his underwear – you name it. Unless the comment is an example of outright bigotry I ignore it, I don’t cry about it.

It depresses the hell out of me that so many “conservatives” are clinging to bitterly to what happened with Palin – and obviously you are blaming people like me, which is of course utterly ridiculous. I only wish I had that sort of influence on the electoral scene.

Buy Danish on October 26, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Buy Danish on October 26, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I’m just goofing on you because I can. I won’t do it anymore.

Cindy Munford on October 26, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Oh, this is going too far! Romney is a windsock, and there is no rebutting that fact. The Ohio kerfuffle is merely the latest of many examples. In fact, is there a single issue where he doesn’t have two or more recorded positions?

So, please, spare me the long suffering attitude. Romney is either a Democrat, a statist big-government technocrat or a fool, I admit I can’t decide which, but he is no Republican or Conservative.

MTF on October 27, 2011 at 1:46 PM

The Dewines (fmr Sen Mike DeWine, now Ohio AG and Kevin DeWine, current Ohio GOP Chair) and RINOs. The sooner we get any DeWine out of public office in Ohio, the better.

Their only motivation for bringing Romney to the state is to kill Issue 2/SB5, which they abhor as true RINOs. No doubt they told Mittens to avoid supporting Kasich’s pet project.

And by the way, if you’re in Ohio, don’t forget to vote YES on issue 2 to retain SB5, and YES on issue 3 to tell ObamaCare to go feck itself.

connectthedots on October 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM