Riots erupt in Oakland, Atlanta clears out Occupiers

posted at 8:46 am on October 26, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Seems like Oakland has finally had enough of the Occupy Movement.  Hours after warning protesters to leave public property, police intercepted them as the demonstrators tried to return.  The mob attacked, and police went into full riot mode:

The police in Oakland dispersed hundreds of protesters using tear gas and flash bombs on Tuesday night as crowds tried to re-enter a plaza outside of City Hall that the authorities had cleared of an encampment earlier in the day. …

By Wednesday morning in downtown Oakland, a dim cloud of gas still hung in the air over Frank Ogawa Plaza, according to images broadcast on CNN. A small number of police in riot gear stood by barricades around the plaza and a handful of protesters held signs nearby.

“It sounded like bombs,” said Joaquin Jutt, 24, a digital animator who was among the protesters on Tuesday night. “There was a stinging and burning in my throat, eyes and nostrils. My eyes burned like there was hot sauce in them.”

Zombie continues his close coverage of Occupy on the West Coast with photos and video at PJ Tatler, and adds this:

After the Occupy Oakland encampment was torn down early Tuesday morning by police, the ousted protesters reconvened outside the Oakland Library on Tuesday afternoon and voted to attempt a re-occupation of the same plaza from which they had just been evicted. Summoned by waves of emergency tweets and emails, fresh recruits joined the evicted Occupiers and early this evening once again marched on downtown Oakland, intending to reclaim Frank Ogawa Plaza.

But the Oakland Police were of course monitoring all this, and along with many other local police departments they were waiting for the protesters’ invasion. After an hours-long standoff at 14th and Broadway, interrupted by several confrontations and arrests, everything started to turn violent some time after 9:30pm.

What happens when you defy the police and try to “reclaim” a public plaza that the city allowed for a single use for weeks? This:

Be sure to check out the video message from an Occupier who promises to come to Oakland to arrest “every single officer involved,” if you want to start your day out with a laugh.

For the record, the Oakland PD denies that they were using flash-bang grenades:

Dozens of police in riot gear and hundreds of protesters in support of the Occupy Wall Street movement engaged in a game of cat-and-mouse in downtown Oakland on Tuesday, with authorities using tear gas to respond to demonstrators’ repeated agitations.

The latest such skirmish came around 11 p.m. as some protesters began throwing bottles among a crowd that had reconvened in front of City Hall, where a haze of chemical smoke still hung in the air following a similar clash at the site about an hour earlier.It was the fourth time police used tear gas in three hours.

Authorities have denied reports that they used flash bang canisters to help break up the crowds, saying the loud noises came from large firecrackers thrown at police by protesters. Police also report being attacked with rocks.

Overhead footage at KTVU suggests otherwise, however.  The video pretty clearly shows the explosions occurring in the middle of the crowd — which turned out to be an effective method of dispersing the rioters.  Police have had to use this strategy repeatedly during the night:

The protesters gathered at a library and marched through downtown Oakland and ultimately were met by police officers in riot gear. Several small skirmishes broke out and officers cleared the area by firing tear gas.

The scene has repeated itself several times since. But each time officers move to disburse the crowd, protesters quickly gather again in assemblies that authorities have declared illegal.

Acting Police Chief Howard Jordan told reporters at a late night news conference that authorities had no other choice, saying the protesters were throwing rocks and bottles at officers.”We had to deploy gas to stop the crowd,” he said.

We may see something similar in Atlanta this morning, where protestors have also worn out their welcome. So far, though, there seems to be little disturbance after 53 arrests were made overnight in clearing Woodruff Park, which has been liberated:

The park remained quiet and empty the morning after Atlanta police arrested 53 Occupy Atlanta protesters after multiple warnings.

Organizers had urged protesters who were not arrested to return to the park at 6 a.m., but there were none in the park at 8:30. About two dozen Atlanta police officers remained on the perimeter of the park, which was surrounded by 4-foot metal barricades.

The protesters who were arrested have bond hearings at Atlanta Municipal Court starting at 8 a.m. Two protesters with signs arrived outside the courtroom shortly before the hearings began.

Mayor Kasim Reed told reporters more than 100 officers were involved in the operation to clear the park, adding the protests, which started more than two weeks ago, had cost the city roughly $300,000.

Officers swarmed the park around 12:45 a.m. The arrests were orderly and peaceful, though some of the protesters had to dragged out. By 1:30 a.m. the park had been cleared and by 2 a.m. onlookers and demonstrators who watched from the perimeter had largely dispersed as police maintained a significant presence downtown.

Expect more from other Occupy locations as city government loses patience with the demonstrations and the damage they do.

Update: A comment from Trafalgar deserves a highlight: “Correction needed Ed. The police did not go into full riot mode. The protestors went into full riot mode and Oakland PD responded accordingly.  Retired Oakland PD and proud of my guys!”  Yeah, that’s a fair point, and thank you for your service, Trafalgar.  Also, a couple of commenters questioned whether police actually have flash-bang grenades, and suggest that what we see may be less-powerful ordinance or maybe firecrackers that didn’t get tossed expertly by rioters.  I’ve seen plenty of firecrackers and a few cherry bombs and those look too large to be either (and seem too well placed to be accidental), but it’s a good idea to keep an open mind.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I’ll confess to being the clueless one here.

What exactly to these “protesters” want to happen?

At least in the Vietnam era, there was a goal: Stop the War.

So, what do the OWS people want (by the way, the name itself it a sham, they’ve yet to occupy anything close to Wall Street)?

Do they want to stop bank and financial firm bail-outs? Then Cain was right; they need to go march on the White House.

Do they want the vast riches they claim are inside the banks and financial firms?

Then they’re going to need to get up early, get out of the park, get a job and get to work. They’re going to need to pound the pavement rather than pound a drum. Pounding a drum just doesn’t pay all that well.

IndieDogg on October 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM

They want someone to pay off their student loans.

jeffn21 on October 26, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Gotta love blue mayors of blue cities having to crack down on blue protesters. Have at it liberals.

BuckeyeSam on October 26, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Skimming through some of these posts, but I’m gathering that there is some horrow over flash bang grenades nd the typical reaction from the “OMG that sounds scary” crowd, and the “I hate police no matter what” crowd.

Give it a rest.

It always amazes me that law enforcement spends so much time and money on using new technology to make it safer for everyone, and ignorant people still scream bloody murder (as with tasers, too).

I say, fine, send them out with riot batons and let them clear the crowd manually, then we’ll look at the injury reports.

I’m sure a lot of the softies here would be the first to cry “Why didn’t the police stop them?” if the riot led to buildings being damaged/burned, etc…

reaganaut on October 26, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Drudge

EXCLUSIVE: ACORN Playing Behind Scenes Role in ‘Occupy’ Movement

faraway on October 26, 2011 at 12:04 PM

That’s some horrible reporting from Atlanta. Can’t see anything, both the reporter and the anchor keep referring to “twist ties” not “zip ties,” and I swear the reporter said that the protesters were “going into a frizzy.”

greggriffith on October 26, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Ed, last time I handled a flash-bang, the casing is metal. It’s heavy, not the sort of thing that’s thrown overhead into a crowd.

GarandFan on October 26, 2011 at 12:05 PM

This is hilarious, I also heard some protestors were making comments “it was like a military war” etc. Now thankfully I’ve never experienced war however my father did. He was in an artillery unit during WWII and shared with me some of his experiences and this minor riot these OWSers were involved in doesn’t come close to what is experienced in a real war!

The OWSers have been going on and on about how there’s going to be a revolution, they’re going to overthrow this and that, yet here they are involved in a minor riot with a little tear gas and flash-bangs and they run away!

It’s hard to start and win a revolution when you can’t even take a little tear gas and flash bangs without calling it “a military war” or comparing flash bangs with bombs and running away crying about how you’re going to “come back and arrest every single officer involved.” These all talk pissants couldn’t even handle the riots of the 60′s, back then they would have gotten billy-clubs to the head…hell these OWSers couldn’t win a paintball war and they’re going to start and win a revolution?

HEY OWSers…TALK IS CHEAP…DON’T GO AWAY MAD…JUST GO AWAY ALREADY…YOU’RE BORING ME!

Liberty or Death on October 26, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Delicious.

Own it, Obama/Biden/DWS/Warren/et al.

Own. It.

Midas on October 26, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Who’s protecting the corrupt ones?

blink on October 26, 2011 at 12:02 PM

All too often, the ones who would prefer to remain uncorrupted, but are encouraged by department traditions to maintain the blue wall.

Especially in Oakland, where LEO’s have mighty few friends, especially in city government.

JohnGalt23 on October 26, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Who’s protecting the corrupt ones?

blink

Are you suggesting that cops readily turn over their corrupt co-workers? There’s a reason IA is hated by regular cops.

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Okay… I’ve been a LEO in San Diego for 25 years. Aside from my 25 years of continuous routine and specialized training, including my training, certification and designation as a CN/CS Tear Gas grenadier, I had also been deployed in a ‘mutual aid’ to the L.A. Riots in 1992 after the Rodney King verdicts when L.A. went full riot mode. I have seen a lot of tear gas launches and I have launched untold numbers of canisters during training and while deployed at the L.A. riots.

There are no “flash-bangs” of any kind in any of those video’s including the KTVU aerial video. Those are merely CN/CS Tear Gas canisters igniting after having been launched strategically into the crowd. ‘Flash-bangs’ do not continuously smoke after detonation. When a CN/CS tear gas canister ignites it will flash somewhat and emit some sparks through where the soft-seal holes in the tear gas canister blow out to allow for the ignited CN/CS gas fuel to escape the canister. Undoubtedly, per S.O.P. for all major departments I’ve ever trained with (Oakland PD being one of many), the crowd had been warned over very loud loud-speakers that they must disperse or tear gas would be launched. After failing to heed multiple Oakland PD warnings the tear gas was launched and what we see in the videos are those tear gas canisters igniting and nothing more.

We’ve been having rapid deployment mobile field force training refreshers for the last couple of weeks and I’ll be attending refreshers myself next week followed by some more training out-of-county after that. Perhaps I’ll see some more grenadier action in San Diego, or L.A. again, before I retire after all. I hope it doesn’t come to that, but, I am darn good at it too. Darn good, indeed. I’ve been doing it for a long time. Thank goodness it’s not blazing hot summer time.

FlatFoot on October 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM

stop protecting the corrupt douche bags that abuse the power of their badges.

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Stop protecting the idiots who behave stupidly requiring those with badges to step in in the first place.

Midas on October 26, 2011 at 12:10 PM

FlatFoot on October 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Awesome – thanks for the insight/info!

Midas on October 26, 2011 at 12:11 PM

The message of liberals is not resonating: “I want free stuff, and I’m going to protest to insist that I get my free stuff from you.”

BuckeyeSam on October 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Now all that is necessary is to get one Tea Party group to go in and help the city clean up.

That would, finally, put a point on things.

ajacksonian on October 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM

That’s fine but just know you’re ignoring one of the more conservative posters at HotAir. I just happen to lean heavily libertarian so I closely follow the squashing of our civil liberties at the hands of the police. Try recording one while he’s doing his job. See how that works out for ya.

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Having spent my career as a police officer in Oakland I’ve been recorded more times than I can count, and always managed to do my job properly, ethically, and with full regard and respect for the law and the Constitution. As did, and do, the men and women of the Oakland Police Department. We have a reputation for toughness but we acted ethically and within the law. We also had a reputation for weeding out any bad apples and either firing them or jailing them when appropriate…and I’m proud of that too.

Trafalgar on October 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Why is it that when a cop opens his mouth I know BS is going to spew out of it?

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Because you’re an f-ing idiot? (rhetorical question)

Midas on October 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Freedom’s last breath.

mythicknight on October 26, 2011 at 9:43 AM

You got that right…

I’ve told my administration to keep looking every single day for actions we can take without Congress, steps that can save consumers money, make government more efficient and responsive, and help heal the economy. And we’re going to be announcing these executive actions on a regular basis,” the president said.”

Seven Percent Solution on October 26, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Trafalgar/Flatfoot – thank you from the bottom of my heart for your dedication and long service as an officer of the peace!!

Flatfoot – nice summary of what the videos show…it’s awesome to have first-hand experience chime-in and set the record straight!!

Wish I could lob a few of those CS canisters myself at the #OWS crowd, but I’ll leave it to the experts :-)

jwehman on October 26, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Trafalgar

I tell you what, I have no way of confirming what you’re telling me is true but I’ll take your word for it.

Though I’m a Raider fan so you have the benefit of my bias for the city. ;)

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Breaking News:

ACORN Playing Behind Scenes Role in ‘Occupy’ Movement

I’m SHOCKED…SHOCKED I TELL YOU!! I guess ACORN knows they won’t be able to get O-Loser reelected through voter fraud this time so they thought they’d hit the class warfare thing hard and heavy…now it’s even more clear why the administration and the dems are supporting and touting the OWSers!

ACORN…THEY’RE BACK!!

Liberty or Death on October 26, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Though I’m a Raider fan so you have the benefit of my bias for the city. ;)

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Why would I lie? Oh, that’s right…I was a career police officer and they only select us for our ability to lie. Sorry, I forgot.

Long-time 49er fan but I worked a lot of Raider games and have to say the Black Hole guys are really pretty cool people when you get to know them…it’s the anonymous drunks an trouble makers you have to watch out for.

Trafalgar on October 26, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Midas

I’m not protecting the protesters if that’s what you think I’ve been doing. I will say that the narrative that HotAir and other conservative sources are trying to create regarding OWS is just as silly as the narrative that liberal sites used against the Tea Party. While on the one hand I’m enjoying it because it happened to our side it doesn’t make it anymore true than it was back then.

Also, I agree with the cops use of tear gas to clear those OWS crowds. They were ordered to leave and they decided to fight that order so it was completely justified on the part of the police IMO. My only issue was with the embellishment about the fireworks.

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 12:28 PM

My only issue was with the embellishment about the fireworks.

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 12:28 PM

And you have no way to know that it was “an embellishment” or not, do you?

Trafalgar on October 26, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Trafalgar

Probably true for any large sporting event.

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 12:32 PM

And you have no way to know that it was “an embellishment” or not, do you?

Trafalgar

What we were told in Ed’s OP was that the police explained the bangs as coming from fireworks thrown by the crowd at them. They had to know the bangs were coming from the tear gas canisters they threw at the crowd. I mean come on. Even if the fireworks quote came from some cop that wasn’t aware the tear gas canisters were the culprit, why make up a story about fireworks?

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 12:28 PM

So the Tea Party and OWS loonies are equal in behavior, and showing video of the loonies in action is trying to create a narrative that doesn’t exist? The observed/recorded actions and conversations of OWS supporters are somehow contrived by conservative sites?

a capella on October 26, 2011 at 12:39 PM

The city governments were complicit in all of this from the start. They gave the protestors a sense of ownership and allowed them to break tons of laws.

I only feel sympathy for the local taxpayers that will pay millions to finance a Leftist temper tantrum.

nottakingsides on October 26, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM

The fact that OPD deployed tear gas does not exclude the possibility that the protestors actually did throw firewroks at the police.

Trafalgar on October 26, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I’m not protecting the protesters if that’s what you think I’ve been doing.

Interesting, because that’s precisely what you’ve been doing with your rants against the police, feebly trying to distract from what’s actually at the heart of the situation – *and* you immediately go on in the same vein, minimizing what the protestors are doing by some BS moral equivalence play:

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Pitiful.

Midas on October 26, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Many departments investigate/punish LOE’s over aggressively.

blink on October 26, 2011 at 12:49 PM

As should always be the case. As professional police officers and administrators it is in our own best interest to rid our organizations of any corrupt or brutal officers. Policing largely depends on the cooperation and trust of the community and the job is much harder if bad apples are corrupting the barrel.

Trafalgar on October 26, 2011 at 12:55 PM

That would, finally, put a point on things.

ajacksonian on October 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I’m sure the Tea Party folks would volunteer. The Liberal cities would never allow that. Americans might be able to see the difference, Liberals can not allow that at all costs!

IowaWoman on October 26, 2011 at 12:59 PM

That would, finally, put a point on things.

ajacksonian on October 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I suggested that at the very start of OWS and still think it’s a good idea, but only reveal it was a Tea Party initiative after the fact, for the safety of participants.

Christien on October 26, 2011 at 1:00 PM

That would, finally, put a point on things.

ajacksonian on October 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM

This is actually one of the most brilliant sugggestions I’ve seen on any of the “Occupy (insert city here)” threads.

We should make this happen

Trafalgar on October 26, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Trafalgar

Thank you, I have been a Raiders fan since 1967 and we have been getting a bad rap for a very long time.

IowaWoman on October 26, 2011 at 1:05 PM

However, I don’t see Oakland’s PD having done anything wrong here.

blink on October 26, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Oh, I absolutely agree with this assessment. They were faced with a riot, they faced down a riot. Nothing wrong here, at all AFAIK.

JohnGalt23 on October 26, 2011 at 1:06 PM

jwehman on October 26, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Same here. Proud granddaughter of Baltimore PD. Grandpa taught me respect for law enforcement.

katy the mean old lady on October 26, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Trafalgar on October 26, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Don’t just limit the clean-up to the parks, either. Fan out in a few block radius, to show it’s not just a publicity stunt. The real locals would certainly appreciate it.

Christien on October 26, 2011 at 1:14 PM

a capella

So you’re saying that all the observed/recorded actions of people at Tea Party rallies were indicative of the whole? It only took a few racists scattered around several Tea Party events for the left to paint the narrative that all Tea Partiers are racists.

Just as an example, there’s a story over at Fark today about a conservative blogger going to an OWS protest and handing out bongs. Probably to try and get a photo-op for conservative sites to pass around as part of the narrative. I’m just pointing out how easy it is to paint an entire group with a broad brush using only a small sample of participants.

The only thing I have in common with the OWS protesters is their anger at the banks and our politicians. Though not necessarily for the same reasons.

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 1:16 PM

IowaWoman on October 26, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Actually had the Black Hole guys turn over a clown who was smoking dope in their section of the end zone to us once. They didn’t want to draw unwanted attention. Mostly the Black Hole fans are hardworking, blue-collar kinda guys. They look crazy but they love Raider football!

Trafalgar on October 26, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Pitiful.

Midas

You are applying my argument about one topic to another topic entirely. Rather dishonest of you.

One topic was the apparent knee-jerk reaction of police to lie when asked a question.

One topic was about my feelings towards the protesters.

Two entirely different things. Plus I said the cops were completely justified in using tear gas to disperse the crowds. So I’m not sure how you get that I’m pro-rioting crowd from my posts here.

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Sorry, that won’t fly. Too many data points vs too few.

a capella on October 26, 2011 at 1:29 PM

It’s a common Marxist tactic to try to provoke a government over-reaction so as to solicit public sympathy. City Hall in Oakland is probably just as far left as the OWS crowd, so this might have been a coordinated crackdown. Isn’t that in Alinsky’s manual somewhere?

NNtrancer on October 26, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Once these jackasses have left, they should invite a Tea Party demonstration to show up and clean up the area. Instant evidence of the difference.

flataffect on October 26, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Finally, I can trumpet the Palestinian call to “STOP THE OCCUPATION”

RedLizard64 on October 26, 2011 at 2:14 PM

The Occupy people should have been protesting Congress and the White House AND the schools AND the unions responsible; instead, they’ve been protesting everyone but those responsible.

Lourdes on October 26, 2011 at 9:42 AM

This.

These kids are too stupid to realize that it is the colleges ripping them off, not the corporations.

I had a great job in the IT field long before I bothered finishing my BA (History and Economics) going nights (which is also much cheaper BTW). At least it was 10 or 11 years ago.

Here’s a free tip to the OWS crowd. Learn a skill that is valued by employers and they will hire you.

SittingDeadRed on October 26, 2011 at 2:18 PM

RE: The flash bangs – I don’t believe they are. Each time anything flashed in KTVU video, smoke emanated from the source. I think the flash/bang was that of the teargas canisters detonating and not flash bang grenades at all. Same can be said of the videos Ed posted.

While I don’t have the LE background of Trafalgar, I have been around some military smoke grenades. They too give out a flash and bang when they detonate. I think Oakland PD is telling the truth and they didn’t use flash bang grenades per se, they used tear gas canisters that flash when the detonate and release the gas.

I tried skimming the posts and didn’t see anyone else raise this possibility – if this was already addressed, sorry for the duplicate post.

batter on October 26, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Not news – OWS protesters cover area in crap on behalf of Obama

News – OWS protesters nearly killed by a 50-pound slab of “blue ice”, or frozen crap, that fell off Air Force One as it passed over an area near McCarran Airport in Las Vegas.

Here

teke184 on October 26, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Two fewer Obamavilles.

Mayors might be keeping an eye on the media’s reaction to Oakland’s and Atlanta’s actions. If the reaction is benign then look for more Obamaville’s being taken down.

blink on October 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM

You’ve just identified the problem…everyone knows stopping them is the right thing to do but everyone is TERRIFIED of doing ssomethin Politically Incorrect, such that the LSM gets to paint the Negative Narrative about our law enforcement folks.

RedLizard64 on October 26, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Man, I wish they would occupy my town. >:)

RedNewEnglander on October 26, 2011 at 3:08 PM

The police should use real grenades.

BillCarson on October 26, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Obama was protesting, also, in 1988.

kingsjester on October 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Trafalgar

Ok so I need to revisit this post by you now because of the video I’m about to link. I said before I didn’t have an issue with the police using tear gas to disperse the crowd. However, specifically targeting a man who was already injured on the ground along with a few people who gathered around him to help him I DO have a problem with. So, throwing away the end of the video which could very well be faked for the sake of drama/sympathy, do you see what this cop did as ethical? Should he be found and punished?

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 5:57 PM

“a few people..” — in step frame, I lost count at 30+

From 0:12, follow the chick in the pumpkin top, who runs out of, then back into the frey (0:27), and proceeds to do a “OMG chicken-little dance”.
I’d call that a lookie-loo. and there were dozens of ‘em in that clip.

CaveatEmpty on October 26, 2011 at 6:32 PM

The mob attacked, and police went into full riot mode:

“The mob attacked, and police went into full riot mode: full riot control mode against longhaired filthy hippie lawbreaking fascist Libtards”

There ya go, Ed. Fixed it for ya!

Catch

CatchAll on October 26, 2011 at 8:13 PM

…. I said before I didn’t have an issue with the police using tear gas to disperse the crowd. However, specifically targeting a man who was already injured on the ground along with a few people who gathered around him to help him I DO have a problem with…..do you see what this cop did as ethical? Should he be found and punished?
Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 5:57 PM

No, the cop should be given a medal.

Since when did good ol’ fashioned Hippie Punching go out of style?

CatchAll on October 26, 2011 at 8:18 PM

FlatFoot on October 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Stay safe.

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 8:41 PM

That’s not tear gas, that’s RAID Fog.

jeffersonschild on October 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Hey look, Wallgreens. Reminds me I need to pic up some stuff. Thanks!

Kenosha Kid on October 26, 2011 at 9:44 PM

No, the cop should be given a medal.

Since when did good ol’ fashioned Hippie Punching go out of style?

CatchAll

Yeah well the injured person was reportedly an Iraq vet so be proud of yourself.

Benaiah on October 27, 2011 at 12:07 AM

I’ve used flash-bang grenades in combat, and though the items the police are using make lots of noise, they don’t appear to be flash-bangs. In a crowd like that, you would want to use bursting-style tear gas grenades rather than the more commonly seen canisters, which burn for a longer time. The bursting style grenades disperse a smaller amount of agent, but they also cannot be picked up and thrown back like the canisters. (The U.S. has used the M25 CS grenade – a bursting type – for decades)
From the footage, it makes tactical sense – they start with the bursting grenades, clearing space, then use the canisters to lay down a heavier cloud of agent.
Flash-bang grenades are used primarily to stun the occupants of a room as you go in, and you don’t want them generating a lot of smoke – that would be counterproductive (you couldn’t see what you’re doing) Given the hazards of deploying those, and their normal use, I would find it unlikely that they’re deployed in a situation that they’re not suited for. Flash bang grenades also leave behind metal bodies – they’re vented to allow the device to go off, but add weight to allow them to be thrown some distance (and through windows, etc) – you would expect someone to come up with a leftover body as evidence.
With OPD’s statement, and the fact that flash-bangs aren’t suitable, I’d be quite inclined to believe that they just don’t understand what they’re seeing.

RustMouse on October 27, 2011 at 4:17 AM

The video above doesn’t load for me (firewall issues), but I’ve seen footage on TV–and EVERY “explosion” I saw was definitely a firework. Flash-bangs look and sound very different.

q2600 on October 27, 2011 at 9:03 AM

His roommate claims that he walked into the hospital himself and it seems as if he is going to be fine.

Btw, I don’t know anything about this guy. But I know plenty of military members that were real a-holes during and after their service. Stop pretending that this guy was merely attending some memorial service in his old uniform.

He was freaking rioting.

blink

If he was indeed the guy in the video that was laying on the ground injured then he wasn’t rioting at the time the cop threw that canister right at him.

The AP is reporting that he’s currently in critical condition.

Benaiah on October 27, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Benaiah on October 26, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I can only assume that you haven’t actually gone and talk to the Occupy * near you, as I have. If you had, you would have discovered that Hotair’s reporting has been fair on OWS. But you don’t even need to do that. The Occupy people have set up their own websites. Here’s my local Occupy group. You can google your own.

thuja on October 27, 2011 at 2:50 PM