Perry backing away from the debates?

posted at 4:45 pm on October 26, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Either this is the most awesome primary campaign move in recent memory, or an acknowledgment that we shouldn’t expect to see debates become Rick Perry’s strong suit in the near future.  I’m know which way I’m betting:

Rick Perry, who made clear during his Bill O’Reilly interview last night that he finds the debate formats geared toward promoting a fight, is going to the No. 9 one after that – but is a question mark for some of the glut of face-offs after that.

The Wall Street Journal also picked up on this statement:

Rick Perry saw his poll numbers swoon after a series of shaky debate performances in September. Now his campaign says the Texas governor may get a lot more selective, potentially skipping some of the jousting contests between now and when voting for the Republican presidential nomination starts in early January.

“We are going to evaluate each debate as it comes and take each one on its own merits,” said Perry spokesman Mark Miner, adding that for now, Mr. Perry is confirmed only for the next GOP debate, set for Michigan Nov. 9th. At least five more debates are now scheduled between the Michigan contest and the Iowa caucuses Jan. 3rd.

The campaign argues that with less than 10 weeks to go before the first votes fly, the debates devour too much time for travel and preparation. “The primaries are right [around] the corner and there is simply more to do than there is time to do it,” Mr. Miner said.

Er … time management?  Are “the primaries are around the corner” by the time the Michigan debate concludes, as Miner says?  Not exactly; they’d only be slightly closer than the number of weeks Perry has been an official candidate in the race.   It could have been true had Reince Priebus not strong-armed Nevada into reversing itself and moving its primary to February 4th, allowing New Hampshire to go on January 10th and keeping Iowa’s caucuses in 2012.  However, the primaries now will be almost ten weeks after the ninth debate — and let’s not forget that Perry has only participated in four of the eight debates so far.

How many debates would Perry miss if he decided to take a pass on the rest?  There are two more the following week, one in the important primary state of South Carolina (November 12th) and another in Washington DC hosted by the Heritage Foundation and the American Enterprise Institute (November 15th).  Which of those two would Perry like to snub?  Don’t forget that the Heritage/AEI will focus exclusively on foreign policy, and will be broadcast by CNN.  If Perry doesn’t take part in that debate, what will that say about his readiness to discuss those issues?

It doesn’t get much better in December, where the GOP will have four debates.  The first is in Arizona on CNN (December 1st), but the next three are in … Iowa, which is where the primaries-around-the-corner start.  Does he blow off one or more of those debates?  If so, would anyone in Iowa take him seriously — and what exactly would Perry’s path to the nomination be if he comes in lower than, say, second place in Iowa?

Factor in his falling poll numbers, and a decision to back away from debates seems even more curious.  Perry needs some serious face time to re-energize his campaign, and he’s not going to get that by pulling a Jon Huntsman and staying off the stage.  If he wants to make a point about protesting the number of debates that have been scheduled, that might be worth protesting — except that he’s attended fewer debates than almost everyone else on stage at this point, and his campaign isn’t making that case, at least not at the moment.

This looks like a strategy designed to keep Perry from doing more damage to himself, and that won’t impress many primary voters.  In order to fight for conservative principles, one has to first show up to the fight.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Gingrich will chew up Cain and then spit him out. It will not be a fair fight.

Voter from WA State on October 26, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Assuming you’re right, who cares. Why would someone vote for a conservative who partnered with a communist, makes PSAs with Pelosi, and was quiet during Clinton’s philandering for months before publicly stating that he was going to speak about it daily (as he was having an affair.) He can “eat Cains lunch” on a park bench by himself because but he will never ever be president.

elfman on October 26, 2011 at 8:54 PM

What? You don’t accept Perry as your Savior??? REPENT!!! REPENT!!!!!

whatcat on October 26, 2011 at 8:53 PM

None of the candidates are my savior. The only person whose motives I trusted ain’t running. I’ll vote for one of the putzes but they’re still all putzes.

alwaysfiredup on October 26, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Good plan. Hold his 3rd place position and don’t make any waves.
elfman on October 26, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Former Speaker Gingrich is in 3rd place according to many of the latest polls…
equanimous on October 26, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Perry’s at about 5th, at best, Perry Slips to 5th Place.

whatcat on October 26, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Gov. Perry is not seeking the Presidency as an ego trip or to add a notch to his record. He entered the race to try to save the Country. because Anita wouldda kicked his a$$ if he didn’t.
bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 7:55 PM
Fixed it for you.

bw222 on October 26, 2011 at 8:52 PM

I’ve gotten the sense from the beginning that Anita wanted to be First Lady more than Rick wanted to be prez.

TxAnn56 on October 26, 2011 at 8:57 PM

These debates are just like college bowl games, there is so many of them they have become irrelevant. All about the ad dollars and not the sport.

A. Weasel on October 26, 2011 at 9:00 PM

alwaysfiredup on October 26, 2011 at 8:55 PM

+1000

A. Weasel on October 26, 2011 at 9:02 PM

TxAnn56 on October 26, 2011 at 8:57 PM

The Missus certainly seems much more interested in the prospect than does he.

whatcat on October 26, 2011 at 9:05 PM

TxAnn56 on October 26, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Ah… the female rivalry/hatred angle pops up again.

So you had the sense from the beginning that Anita wanted to be First Lady more than Rick wanted to be prez and so you would rather throw in your lot with the guy that has dreamed of becoming prez since his toddler years?

Nice for you to clear things up.

TheRightMan on October 26, 2011 at 9:07 PM

The Missus certainly seems much more interested in the prospect than does he.

whatcat on October 26, 2011 at 9:05 PM

I wonder if the missus can debate any better or would that be heartless of me to think that way?

Knucklehead on October 26, 2011 at 9:09 PM

TxAnn56 on October 26, 2011 at 8:57 PM

On a related note, it seems Texas Republicans aren’t all that hot on the idea, either:
Support for Herman Cain Surges with Texas Republicans

whatcat on October 26, 2011 at 9:09 PM

The Missus certainly seems much more interested in the prospect than does he.
whatcat on October 26, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Knucklehead on October 26, 2011 at 9:09 PM

I think you’re on to something there!

whatcat on October 26, 2011 at 9:10 PM

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 7:55 PM
Riiiiight.

alwaysfiredup on October 26, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Correct should have been the word to use. Is it so difficult to believe that there are people that want to do what is in the best interest of our Country?

I admit they are far and few between, but Gov. Perry is one of those.

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Knucklehead on October 26, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Yep, another Hot Air female joins the bash-Anita-Perry bandwagon.

You do know that Palin’s most vehement opposition was from female voters, right?

Just saying…

TheRightMan on October 26, 2011 at 9:11 PM

You leave Gary Huntsmann alone!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 26, 2011 at 6:15 PM

O/T

Let’s get this thread back to Norbit Huntsman’s campaign – it’s obvious that he’s not going to get his own post any time soon. Hal Huntsman’s campaign needs some critiquing. He is polling at 1% why can’t Huntsman get any traction or raise any campaign donations. I contend it’s because he’s un -self aware A$$.

I watched him last night on Fox, he is totally un-self aware of how smug, and condescending he comes off to the republican base. He doesn’t get that his prepared “Pap” talking points are talking down to the people, who he wants to vote for him. First he takes a position, and if you disagree, he assigns motivation – he judges people as being anti science. When he speaks, instead of stating this is why I believe in AGW, he contends, and if you don’t agree with me you’re backwards, and I will start speaking slower so you can keep up LOL!

Clayton Huntsman doesn’t get that this approach doesn’t work with most Americans, who think for themselves. A person who can speak Mandarin fluently can’t be stupid, just sayin unlikely. Huntsman does have a technocrat vibe about him but that could be from all the time he spent in China. I don’t know how to put it, Harry Huntsman lacks the people’s skills. He did go down the bullet points of how he’s more conservative than Mitt Romney, and sure enough he is more conservative. You can watch yourself HERE.

Has anybody heard that Tim Huntsman’s father (of the Huntsman Corporation) has made a killing doing business with China, or am I the last to know?

kg598301 on October 26, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Lance Huntsman did himself, but he was speaking in Mandarin at the time, and his Chinese translator was having a difficult time remembering his first name :)

Dr Evil on October 26, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Gov. Perry is not seeking the Presidency as an ego trip or to add a notch to his record. He entered the race to try to save the Country. It is also my opinion that if he does not win the Presidency, it will be the loss of the Country, not his.

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 7:55 PM

He did promise that he would not run for POTUS. Then he did. Now, he either lied and had planned all along to run, or he had no interest in being POTUS until he woke up one day and decided he did.

I don’t get the upside of either motivation.

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM

I admit they are far and few between, but Gov. Perry is one of those.

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Put the crack pipe down.

Knucklehead on October 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Knucklehead on October 26, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Yep, another Hot Air female joins the bash-Anita-Perry bandwagon.
TheRightMan on October 26, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Nah, that’s a compliment. It would be bashing the Missus if someone were to say she would be even worse the Perry.

whatcat on October 26, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I guess O’Reilly is going to milk it for what it’s worth.

Dr Evil on October 26, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I missed some of O’Reilly since I was on the phone:-) Will watch the rerun later. O’Reilly has to be taken after you get past his ego, LOL

He does have a habit of trying to speak for others tho, I know what you mean.

Still, I’m glad Perry was on his program since it gives exposure to his positions.

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I don’t get the upside of either motivation.

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM

It’s probably because you don’t live in Texas, and haven’t had Obama and his administration making life hell down here for a Republican governor, and by extension the people who live in the state of Texas.

It’s not a secret, Rick Perry isn’t one of Obama’s favorite people.

Dr Evil on October 26, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Fixed it for you.

bw222 on October 26, 2011 at 8:52 PM

No need to fix anything I post. Like I said, support whichever Candidate you want. Gov. Perry isn’t the only one.

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 9:25 PM

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 9:22 PM

We watched both nights, he’s now trying to use Perry’s appearance to create a feud narrative to gin up interest in the primary for ratings. Telling Perry what his body segment showed, the dynamic going on between him and Romney. Hello Bill, he was there, I am sure he’s aware of what was going on, he doesn’t need Bill O’Reilly promoting hyper escalation to what end? I guess Bill is trying to create more buzz from the interview.

It was bad enough, that my husband was saying, he really doesn’t have much use for Bill O’Reilly, he was being that obvious. And my husband isn’t supporting any candidate, he’s open to a winner of the primary surfacing.

Dr Evil on October 26, 2011 at 9:29 PM

kg598301 on October 26, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Correction: Lance Huntsman told people himself, but he was speaking in Mandarin at the time, and his Chinese translator was having a difficult time remembering his first name :)

Dr Evil on October 26, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I don’t get the upside of either motivation.

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM

My understanding is that he made that promise to those that voted for him in Texas. I would think it’s between him and those in Texas.

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM

If he cannot debate then he needs to drop out. He then needs to state that he will not run for office, if chosen by the party he will not campaign for office, and if elected will not serve in office.

astonerii on October 26, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I would think it’s between him and those in Texas.

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM

An evaluation of a man’s honesty is only valid by those he makes promises to? Good luck holding anyone to that.

astonerii on October 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Dr Evil on October 26, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Oh, so that’s it. I’ll be sure to watch later. Well, I’ve seen O’Reilly likes playing kingmaker and offering advice:-) I’m sure his viewers could give him some advice and that would be for him to let his guests get a word in, LOL

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Oh, nos!!! Well, guess I’ll just go give another $9.99 to future pres. Cain.

DanaSmiles on October 26, 2011 at 9:52 PM

I would think it’s between him and those in Texas.

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM

astonerii on October 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM

I didn’t say that. I said this:

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM

I’m only responsible to those that I make a promise to. I’m not responsible to my neighbor for a promise I make to my sister. Gov. Perry is not responsible to anyone for a promise he made other than those he made the promise to.

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Support for Herman Cain Surges with Texas Republicans

whatcat on October 26, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Not with THIS Texas republican.
*we’ve been here almost 7 moths. I qualify as a Texan now*

annoyinglittletwerp on October 26, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I would think it’s between him and those in Texas.

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM

astonerii on October 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM

“Perry only lied to Texans”. Yeah I’m not real sure I’d wanna go with that argument either.

whatcat on October 26, 2011 at 9:57 PM

If Perry is the nominee, can he back out of debates then as well? If he performs as badly then as he is doing now, he’ll be buried, and we can bend over for 4 more years of doing by Barry.

bayview on October 26, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Maybe Perry would do better if he’d respond to questions by directing people to his website?

El_Terrible on October 26, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Like a SNL skit.

tmontgomery on October 26, 2011 at 10:07 PM

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Sure, but it does speak to his motivation. Why did he lie or is this just an ego thing?

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 10:56 PM

I’m not responsible to my neighbor for a promise I make to my sister.
bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 9:53 PM

You are if you want your neighbors trust aren’t you?

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 10:57 PM

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 10:56 PM

It’s not a lie or an ego thing. Our country is in trouble, and Perry has some great plans to get American working again. I see it as patriotism.

Oh, and I am a Texan for Perry 2012!

tmontgomery on October 26, 2011 at 11:15 PM

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Well, I can’t speak for Gov. Perry. I don’t equate a promise with a lie. A promise speaks to the future; a lie is in the present.

Still if those that he made the promise to don’t have a problem that he is now running for President, then I don’t either. I would hardly think that the people of Texas would not be proud that their Governor would run for the Presidency tho:-)

bluefox on October 27, 2011 at 12:06 AM

whatcat on October 26, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Again, you err. A promise is not the same as a lie. Read my post down thread.

bluefox on October 27, 2011 at 12:08 AM

I’m not responsible to my neighbor for a promise I make to my sister.
bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 9:53 PM
You are if you want your neighbors trust aren’t you?

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 10:57 PM

bluefox on October 27, 2011 at 12:11 AM

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 7:55 PM

This took the cake.

This level of Dear Leader worship was previously only seen by moonbat liberals and socialists. I’ve clearly overestimated some of my conservative brethren.

haner on October 27, 2011 at 12:39 AM

tmontgomery on October 26, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Now wait….he promised he wasn’t going to run for POTUS. He broke that promise. Additionally, he didn’t have one plan ready to go when he announced.

He either was planning to run all along which makes him a liar, or he decided one day that he wanted to be POTUS but had no plans to fix the country. That means he didn’t run because he felt he had a better idea then anyone else.

In either case, there is no way to put it in a positive light.

csdeven on October 27, 2011 at 12:48 AM

bluefox on October 27, 2011 at 12:11 AM

If you go around breaking promises do you think others should make agreements with you because the promises you break are to others?

You cannot be serious.

csdeven on October 27, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Perry would have served himself and the Party better by bringing this up as he entered and refusing to participate in debates designed and run by media instead of Republican groups, or mass joint press conferences with one-minute answers.

Still, it would be a good idea to implement, but after his consistently unimpressive performances so far it just looks like he’s ducking the punches.

Adjoran on October 27, 2011 at 1:37 AM

I don’t think there is much to this..2 of the next 3 debates are on Foreign Policy and National Security..Perry will not miss those..:)

Dire Straits on October 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Perry may be there physically…but you are wrong, he’ll miss those topics… :o)

g2825m on October 27, 2011 at 2:30 AM

Perry wants to join the other “One Percenter” in the race…

John Huntsman (polling at 1%)

scotash on October 27, 2011 at 2:58 AM

Bottom line is if he is afraid to debate Repubs, he will be afraid to debate Obama…. This just shows bad judgment…if he does not like the formats or timing, the lobby to get them changed…this is running and hiding and to me it disqualifies him

georgealbert on October 27, 2011 at 6:46 AM

The left is winning the public relations battle in the media. The GOP had better develop an aggressive strategy for countering their propaganda and assuming the offensive lest they lose it all. And for goodness sake somebody tell those children to stop fighting among themselves. Disagreeing or debating on critical issues is fine but these childish “gotcha” skirmishes are just plain counterproductive and stupid.

rplat on October 27, 2011 at 7:41 AM

In either case, there is no way to put it in a positive light.

csdeven on October 27, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Csdeven, stop it. This is no place for common sense!

athenanyc on October 27, 2011 at 9:45 AM

I don’t get the upside of either motivation.

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM

bluefox on October 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Oh, please, that old canard again? After being governor for 10 years, that wasn’t even an issue in his 3rd election campaign. That is the lamest argument some of you have ever come up with. True he really never intended to run for POTUS but as circumstances changed he realized he had the best economic record of any executive in the country and knew he could turn the economy around. You can no more claim he’s in it for ego or ambition any more than your own favorite candidate is.

cartooner on October 27, 2011 at 10:51 AM

cartooner on October 27, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Anyone running for President (or really any higher office) inherently has a big ego. To presume that you are qualified to represent your constituents is a big ego trip. Some of the people ARE qualified and some aren’t, but you can’t remove ego from the equation.

So accepting that he is in it for ego and ambition, as are all the candidates, there are still good and bad ways of HANDLING your ego. Perry chose a bad one: namely, acting entitled to the nomination and now acting like he is above debating (coincidentally, he considers doing something he absolutely sucks at not worth his time.)

athenanyc on October 27, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Perry will be polling level with Huntsman before it’s over.

esnap on October 27, 2011 at 11:52 AM

So Perry’s skills are in announcing things and launching personal attacks, but not in persuasive arguments. Don’t we already have one of those?

flataffect on October 27, 2011 at 2:09 PM

These aren’t debates in any sense of the word. Just cheep reality TV. Not worth my time to watch.

meci on October 26, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I would not have a problem if they all boycotted the rest. They are no longer debates but a series of sound bites. Enough already.

d1carter on October 26, 2011 at 4:59 PM

AGREED or how about NEWTS proposed style with half of the Candidates at the first (randomly selected and then the other half two weeks later. Then redraw for match ups?

RedLizard64 on October 27, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I was looking forward to seeing my television bleed and beg for mercy.
Oh well.

HornetSting on October 27, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I was looking forward to seeing my television bleed and beg for mercy.
Oh well.

HornetSting on October 27, 2011 at 7:05 PM

That was in reference to the TV ads he’s going to put out in IA. I’m looking forward to them. So far, he’s only put out a positive ad, but with Gov. Rick Scott’s people, they’re going to turn nasty soon, can’t wait!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 27, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I was looking forward to seeing my television bleed and beg for mercy.
Oh well.

HornetSting on October 27, 2011 at 7:05 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 27, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Really? Thanks. I did not know that. /s
I’m going to start say something here, a twist on the ‘if it was a republican, they would go berzerk’ mantra….here goes:
You look forward to Perry’s nasty ads….if it was Romney going after Perry in a nasty ad, you would crap a pigeon..I know this, because anytime anyone says anything negative about Rick Perry, you, gophergirl, capitalist piglet, voter in wa go batsh*t crazy about it, making excuses, explaining what he meant to say, like the democrats do for any other democrat that steps on his tongue….
Now, don’t get me wrong…I hope Perry’s ads knock Romney off his perch….but, this ‘I need to evaluate all the debates because…blah blah blah’ is pathetic. And, if Perry doesn’t show up, someone will joke that it was Perry’s best debate and you guys will meltdown.
He needs to show everyone that he is ready for the pressure the office will bring…and, thirty seconds to explain your position may not be ideal, but he flubbed up enough that we ALL have a good idea what is ticking in that big hat of Rick Perry. And, it’s not good if you believe in the rule of law, no green mandates, and don’t want to do your taxes twice to see which option is better….

HornetSting on October 27, 2011 at 9:52 PM