Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on October 26, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama warned his followers this week that the 2012 wouldn’t be “sexy” as apparently he considered the 2008 election to be, claiming that the novelty has worn off.  Maybe the real reason is that Obama simply isn’t an attractive candidate or campaigner.  John Hood at NRO noticed last week that Obama isn’t terribly good at sweet-talking voters in his attempts at retail politics:

To one man, Obama said: “Now, you ate all your vegetables before you had dessert,” noting his wife’s focus on healthy eating. …

Leaving the restaurant, the president worked a rope line.“You’ve got to work hard,” he said to one pair of community college students.

One woman handed Obama a phone, telling him that her grandmother was on the line. “Hey grandma — boy this is an old style phone … I appreciate you.”

Hood’s less than impressed:

Called me old-fashioned — though I no longer own an “old style phone” — but I’m not greatly interested in running into politicians who might choose to critique my choice of lunch items and the order in which I eat them. A skillful politician, say a Reagan or a Clinton, might smile conspiratorially and make a joke about how good my dessert looks, or flatter me by asking for a menu recommendation. He wouldn’t thank me for following his wife’s dietary pronouncements, then instruct a passing college student to study hard, then make fun of a grandson’s phone to his grandma.

Well, you would if you thought you could make everyone’s choices better than they could do on their own …

Comments

That’s an old-style lefty ideology you got there, Mr. Prez.

NeighborhoodCatLady on October 26, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Insult them & they clamor for more.
Idiots.

Badger40 on October 26, 2011 at 8:11 AM

The key to wit is being facile at self-deprecation.

The alternative is almost always pomposity and arrogance.

Obama is no wit.

Well, perhaps that is only half true.

coldwarrior on October 26, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Just having the messiah address you should be the thrill of your life. Doesn’t matter what he says. You will only remember the glow of his magnificence anyway.

Extrafishy on October 26, 2011 at 8:12 AM

And were completely clueless about the feelings of others (narcissist)…and think you’re the font of all wisdom.

Statist…narcissist…condescending…social misfit.

OBAMA 2012!

/RNC campaign ad, I hope

inviolet on October 26, 2011 at 8:12 AM

I refuse to vote for liberals. They wreak havoc on the economic digestive tract.

backwoods conservative on October 26, 2011 at 8:12 AM

He wouldn’t thank me for following his wife’s dietary pronouncements,

He really shouldn’t be going there…

ladyingray on October 26, 2011 at 8:15 AM

All kidding aside, I think Obama envisioned this job as like being the star of a sitcom. No shocker if he relates to the stock character actors with lame jokes.

apostic on October 26, 2011 at 8:15 AM

His contempt runneth over..he has so much more fun with the movie stars.

tinkerthinker on October 26, 2011 at 8:17 AM

do as I say prole….

ted c on October 26, 2011 at 8:17 AM

It’s tough we you are sans teleprompter. You actually have to think up stuff to say yourself.

sandee on October 26, 2011 at 8:18 AM

sorry.. “when you” not “we you.” It’s early here on the left coast!

sandee on October 26, 2011 at 8:19 AM

tinkerthinker on October 26, 2011 at 8:17 AM

They, as Obama, are merely role players.

coldwarrior on October 26, 2011 at 8:19 AM

To one man, Obama said: “Now, you ate all your vegetables before you had dessert,” noting his wife’s focus on healthy eating. …

To which the man replied: “Does this mean my ass will be two axe handles across as well?”

pain train on October 26, 2011 at 8:20 AM

pain train on October 26, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Seriously funny!

Extrafishy on October 26, 2011 at 8:21 AM

no class whatsoever…

cmsinaz on October 26, 2011 at 8:23 AM

sandee on October 26, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Aw darn. And here I thought you were giving us ‘Sharptonese’.

red131 on October 26, 2011 at 8:24 AM

The bright glow of narcissism will drive all those before him right off the island. Behold a dolt…

Yoop on October 26, 2011 at 8:26 AM

. “Hey grandma — boy this is an old style phone …

No Sh!t Sherlock. Your economic policies have totally screwed my buying power.

oldernwiser on October 26, 2011 at 8:28 AM

He is at ease among his people…

To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists and punk-rock performance poets. We smoked cigarettes and wore leather jackets. When we ground out our cigarettes in the hallway carpet or set our stereos so loud that the walls began to shake, we were resisting bourgeois society’s stifling constraints…

Fallon on October 26, 2011 at 8:30 AM

The difference is that Clinton wanted something from you: Sex, money, votes or just approval. Obama expects that you’ll give it to him because he’s entitled to it.

trubble on October 26, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Call me old-fashioned, but I am ready for a president who understands how to take orders from the American people, not the other way around.

RDE2010 on October 26, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Obama is no wit.

Well, perhaps that is only half true.

coldwarrior on October 26, 2011 at 8:12 AM

I see what you did there.

2L8 on October 26, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Called me old-fashioned

“You’re old fashioned. I mean, c’mon, look at your shirt. And your shoes – did you get those at Wal-Mart?” – President Obama

forest on October 26, 2011 at 8:38 AM

With a lifetime background of preying on white guilt and manipulating the system, capped off by being elected President, what would you expect him to feel but contempt?

Actually, I too find it difficult to conceal my contempt for those gullible enough to have voted for him.

Drained Brain on October 26, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Drained Brain on October 26, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Could it be that, at least subconsciously, he recognizes that he is a SCOAMF and therefore has contempt for those who support such a low creature as himself? I’m sure I’m over-analyzing it, but somebody, somewhere, has got to be able to explain this pathology to me.

Extrafishy on October 26, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Extrafishy on October 26, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Pathology?

A complete lack of honest empathy?

coldwarrior on October 26, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Seriously dude? You can get a phone for free from cell phone companies. They might be the old style phones, but THEY ARE FREE.

Perhaps financial responsibility is hard to understand?

mjk on October 26, 2011 at 9:03 AM

The guy is a charmer.

Cindy Munford on October 26, 2011 at 9:11 AM

The man who ate his veggies first is a good little democrat. If you like your old phone, you can keep your old phone.

Kissmygrits on October 26, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Marxists of all stripes believe that.

rbj on October 26, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Ed – you know that with Obama, it’s All About Him. Doesn’t matter the topic, the situation, the people… always gotta have HIM in the center of attention.

I’m hoping we can help him do it privately, come November 2012 :)

pbundy on October 26, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Condescender-in-chief.

DrStock on October 26, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Obama…it’s not you knowing what’s best for everyone, it’s you being arrogant..and there is a difference.

My mama would’ve slapped the tar out of me, for speaking to people in such a fashion. Maybe your mama should have done the same. Pity she didn’t.

capejasmine on October 26, 2011 at 9:39 AM

The guy is a charmer.

Cindy Munford on October 26, 2011 at 9:11 AM

And all he seems to charm are the liberal snakes.

capejasmine on October 26, 2011 at 9:40 AM

capejasmine on October 26, 2011 at 9:40 AM

May that continue, I’d like to see him get only 30% of the vote in 2012.

Cindy Munford on October 26, 2011 at 10:24 AM

And the college student is suppose to work hard at what? Occupying Wall Street? Not paying his student loans so Obama can forgive them but saddle the guy with $100,000 of debt per person in exchange? Campaigning for BHO? Learning to become a Marxist?

katablog.com on October 26, 2011 at 10:38 AM

NAR

CIS

SIST

Does he treat his family this way? I seriously doubt it. When in public, if you treat strangers and acquaintances as you’d never treat your own family, you should not be in public office.

But Good Lord, if that were the only problem…

Freelancer on October 26, 2011 at 11:09 AM

THEY ARE FREE.

Perhaps financial responsibility is hard to understand?

mjk on October 26, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Yeah, haha, they are NOT free, but I don’t think you understand that.
Phone costs are worked into the service costs.

I would have said “Yeah its old, thats how I packed 1/2 pound of C4 in it!” boom. SS is falling down on the protection thing.

orbitalair on October 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM