Fun: Peter Schiff confronts Occupy Wall Street protesters

posted at 4:05 pm on October 26, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via MRC TV, enjoy as a card-carrying one-percenter braves the Tupperware containers filled with urine at Zuccotti Park to pose the timeless question, “I’m employing 150 people. How many people do you employ?”

Actually, according to Fox News’s piece today about ACORN’s hand in organizing OWS marches and fundraising, the revolution employs quite a few people:

Sources said NYCC [the group formerly known as New York's chapter of ACORN] has hired about 100 former ACORN-affiliated staff members from other cities – paying some of them $100 a day – to attend and support Occupy Wall Street. Dozens of New York homeless people recruited from shelters are also being paid to support the protests, at the rate of $10 an hour, the sources said…

Multiple sources said NYCC is also using cash donations through canvassing efforts in New York’s Harlem and Washington Heights neighborhoods for union-backed campaigns to fund the Wall Street protests…

“They give contributions because we say if they do we can fix things – whatever specific problem they’re having in their area, housing, schools, whatever … then we spend the contributions paying staff to be at the protests all day, every day. That’s where these contributions – the community’s money – is going,” the source said.

They’re doing the same stuff now that got ACORN in trouble to begin with. And yes, we’re still ACORN, there is a still a national ACORN.”

One woman who was recruited from a homeless shelter to protest and then canvass as part of a campaign ostensibly aimed at home foreclosures told Fox, “I get the money and then the money is being used for Occupy Wall Street—to pay for all of it, for supplies, food, transportation, salaries, for everything … all that money is going to pay for the protests downtown and that’s just messed up. It’s just wrong.” So in case you were wondering how they can afford the new Port-a-Potties, there you go. The bad news: Per Fox’s sources, unwitting people are being duped into chipping in under false pretenses. The good news: The era of Tupperware containers filled with urine might soon, mercifully, be over.

Exit quotation: “They’re telling people who leave prison to go to Zuccotti Park.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Peter Schiff: “I’m employing 150 people. How many people do you employ?”

[crickets chirping]

Doughboy on October 26, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I love Schiff. Had you listened to his investment advice 4 years ago you too would be in the top 1% today.

angryed on October 26, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Jobs are so 20th century, MAN! This is the new age when food and sleeping bags appear at a park like magic, who needs a job.

Bishop on October 26, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Serious fun.

I think more people like Schiff should dialogue with the OWS protesters. Especially considering the fact that he’s able to rebut their class warfare arguments with the truth about what he really pays in taxes and how many people he employs.

nickj116 on October 26, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Peter Schiff: “I’m employing 150 people. How many people do you employ?”

[crickets chirping]

Doughboy on October 26, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Loved that.

nickj116 on October 26, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Not only is he paying his taxes, he is also paying 6.2% Social Security tax and 1.45% Medicare tax for all 150 of his employees. That alone is more taxed paid by Schiff than all the unwashed pieces of filth at OWS.

angryed on October 26, 2011 at 4:13 PM

I feel for that woman being homeless. If I had the means, I’d create a way to find them work, and a home, if they were willing to meet me half way. So now, she finds a little work, gets paid, and has it stripped from her hands. Now…she MUST understand that this entire mindset is wrong. How does she feel, that these people want to rob others of their money from their work?

Time to choose people. This kind of crap, or freedom!

capejasmine on October 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM

“I’m doing my share… why aren’t you doing yours?”

Love it. Peter Schiff rocks. I wish every Republican could have a spine like this.

beatcanvas on October 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I think this serves to illustrate the fundamental unfairness of the system.

It is just WRONG that so many people are so stupid when a few people have all the brains.

How are dumb people supposed to get ahead in this world when smart people are hogging all the good ideas? Huh? HUH?

They need to #OccupyMensa to protest the intelligence disparity.

Lily on October 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I love it. Schiff is four aces! I loved it when the strap hangers standing near the motormouth woman heard that he pays more in taxes than all of them combined their mouths dropped. And how many people do you employ, lady. Silence!

kens on October 26, 2011 at 4:17 PM

That was sweet, seriously sweet when Schiff finally shut the yap on the woman who seemingly couldn’t stop talking for more than a second.

“I employ 150 people, how many do you employ?”

-……………….

“Why don’t you go out and start a business to employ people?”

-……………….

Bishop on October 26, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Bishop on October 26, 2011 at 4:11 PM

And hey! If you do get paid, they take it from ya, and give it up for the greater good!

I’m waiting for the story of the few who are lining their pockets with some of this money, and enriching themselves while spouting the evils of being rich.

capejasmine on October 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Loved that.

nickj116 on October 26, 2011 at 4:12 PM

BTW, I can’t believe it didn’t occur to me til now the irony of her (eventual)response.

“I work in the mortgage business.”

So she’s in a profession by choice that is obviously hurting badly right now. Well who’s fault is that? She can find another career if she’s unsatisfied with her wages.

Doughboy on October 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Wow. I like this guy. Who does he support for President? He sounds like he knows ecnonomics. Someone should hire him as an Econ advisor.

iamse7en on October 26, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Lily on October 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM

ROFLMAO!!!

capejasmine on October 26, 2011 at 4:19 PM

capejasmine on October 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I was homeless once. You do the homeless no favors when you offer them work. Rather, the only way out of their situation is for them to decide to go find work. Big difference.

Now, if they sought employment from you, I would hope that you didn’t hold their current station in life against them and allowed them to work. But they have to first decide that they’re done being homeless.

beatcanvas on October 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

This reminds me of this commercial long time back that had a Father and his Son who just received his first pay check. The kid opens the envelope ,looks at his check and says “Who’s this FICA guy and why is he taking my money?” Can’t even remember what the ad was for…

sandee on October 26, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I love the sign behind him: “I am the 1% let’s talk”

bitsy on October 26, 2011 at 4:22 PM

LOL
He shut her up. too funny
I love that line ” I employ 150 people, how many do you employ?!”
LOL classic !
I am suprised she didnt respond with ELEVENTYTHIRTY and eat the rich.

ColdWarrior57 on October 26, 2011 at 4:22 PM

LILY!!! LMAO!!!!!!

Catherine Wilkinson on October 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Arguing with these people is pointless.

They have the IQ of a glass of water.

Nothing can break through to them. They are going to vote for Obama no matter what happens.

tetriskid on October 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM

capejasmine on October 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Yah, you think a few of the self-appointed leaders of the whole mess aren’t waylaying some of the donated funds for personal use? The 99% are devolving into their own little community of haves and have nots.

Bishop on October 26, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I’ve been thinking about these Occupy groups.

It’s so funny… Occupy DC, Occupy Wall Street, Occupy Oakland… these cities have already been occupied by these nutcases for decades! That’s why the cities are in such a mess! Nothing new going on here.. they just came out of their holes and have reassembled in parks. All they did was come out into the day light.

JellyToast on October 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I’ve been thinking about these Occupy groups.

JellyToast on October 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Good point.

tetriskid on October 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Peter Schiff… bright lad there.

I wonder… who does he support for POTUS?

JohnGalt23 on October 26, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Man, I loved the last part of that video. Absolutely amazing!!

ButterflyDragon on October 26, 2011 at 4:28 PM

So rich. So. Rich.

blatantblue on October 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM

“How many people do you employ?”

He sure shut up that caterwauling motor-mouth b*tch, didn’t he? Get them off their ignorant slogans and they’ve got nothing.

rrpjr on October 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

THIS MAN IS MY HERO!!!

Kini on October 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

“End the Bush tax cuts”

Lather.Rinse.Repeat.

/hippie handbook page 1

mankai on October 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I could take a guess as to whom Schiff supports…

Wikipedia:

“Schiff was an economic adviser to Ron Paul’s 2008 presidential campaign.”

nickj116 on October 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM

So rich. So. Rich.

blatantblue on October 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM

No pun intended ;)

nickj116 on October 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM

That lady just hates Bush, doesn’t she…

MeatHeadinCA on October 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM

iamse7en on October 26, 2011 at 4:19 PM

LOL!

Wouldn’t the world be different if that would’ve happened? Sigh.

IUnknown on October 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I could take a guess as to whom Schiff supports…

Wikipedia:

“Schiff was an economic adviser to Ron Paul’s 2008 presidential campaign.”

nickj116 on October 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Can’t be. Paul hates Jews.

MeatHeadinCA on October 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM

That clip made my day.

I employ 460 people …

Lets create running total.

PS – 150
Kregg – 460
Please add your name and total

kregg on October 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM

After this, ACORN’s involvement odes not surprise me at all.

kingsjester on October 26, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Wow, the talking points are so predictable:

Bush Tax cuts (whatever they were)

Warren Buffet!

It’s like Obama has a direct propaganda channel into their brains.

Obama Zombies. So gullible.

aeroplane on October 26, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Bwahahahaha!!! I love, ABSOLUTELY LOVE watching the stunned looks on the faces of ignorant reactionary fools after their 2 dimensional arguments are defeated with logic! I bet that lady goes home and tries to figure out a way to hide from everyone she knows for the next month! ROTFLMMFAO!!!

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Bush tax cuts led to increases in revenue… so she argues that if we go back to the pre-Bush rates that will somehow “solve” the deficit problem. Yeah, good luck with that.

Naive and braindead hippie (redundancy warning).

mankai on October 26, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I wish that video was longer.

Abby Adams on October 26, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I smell George Soros money behind the whole occupy movement.

rbj on October 26, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Schiff’s a great guy.

the_nile on October 26, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Sigh, I wish we had nominated him in CT.

I <3 Schiff.

jhffmn on October 26, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Yep. Just like the Tea Party. Only with PAID performers.

It’s the new “Performance Art”. So when’s the next act?

GarandFan on October 26, 2011 at 4:44 PM

It’s not that we don’t want to share our success it’s that we don’t want to share your failure.

Oldnuke on October 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

A cute, snide remark, but so what? Who’s to say he isn’t screwing those 150? What about employing people makes you noble and somehow incapable of screwing people over, or cheating on taxes, or anything else?

ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I reitterate my claim that all of these people are mental morons like this broken record of a woman chanting “Get rid of the Bush tax cuts.”. I really wanted to hear how she would benefit by eliminating those cuts.

stacman on October 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I think this serves to illustrate the fundamental unfairness of the system.

They need to #OccupyMensa to protest the intelligence disparity.

Lily on October 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Kurt Vonnegut’s Harrison Bergeron

Ditkaca on October 26, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I wish that video was longer.

Abby Adams on October 26, 2011 at 4:41 PM

..I wish the OWS were longer..like right up until October 31st, 2012. You know, just about the time people are making up their minds on their choice for president.

The War Planner on October 26, 2011 at 4:48 PM

sandee on October 26, 2011 at 4:22 PM

It was actually Rachel on Friends way in the beginning when she got her first job and saw her first paycheck.

I can remember that, but I can’t remember the name of the guy I met 5 minutes ago….

Darksean on October 26, 2011 at 4:48 PM

And just what does employing 150 people have to do with monied interests dominating politics? Is he saying that he ought to have more of a say in policy than the people he employs?

ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I wonder how long before Warren Buffet is brought up in any OWS “debate.” In a way, Buffet’s recent commentary could have been a catalyst for all this.*

*The revelation that Buffet has fought paying his “fair share” in court for years is completely ignored/dismissed by the Left. It doesn’t fit their narrative. Of course.

visions on October 26, 2011 at 4:49 PM

ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Do you employ 150 people? Schiff provides jobs for 150 people.

jhffmn on October 26, 2011 at 4:50 PM

capejasmine on October 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM

and then there’s that fat-headed idiot Michael Moore… who declines to say that his multimillions puts him in the scary one percent.

chai on October 26, 2011 at 4:50 PM

ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

What is it about being a sniveling, whining, mooching, loser parasite that makes someone worthy of sharing in the success of productive members of our society?

Oldnuke on October 26, 2011 at 4:51 PM

If that crowd slurred their words just a little more, I’d swear it was the zombie apocalypse.

John the Libertarian on October 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM

No wonder no one knows “what they want”. These imbeciles can’t have a normal conversation.

Jaibones on October 26, 2011 at 4:53 PM

according to Fox News’s piece today

Fox News Lies!

Nothing to see here.

Move along.

Bruno Strozek on October 26, 2011 at 4:53 PM

iamse7en on October 26, 2011 at 4:19 PM

LOL!

Wouldn’t the world be different if that would’ve happened? Sigh.

IUnknown on October 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I guess you missed my sarcasm. I was trying to lay it on relatively thick.

iamse7en on October 26, 2011 at 4:53 PM

LOL Ernie. He’s screwing them over by providing jobs to them. You’re right, their lives would be much better if Schiff DIDN’T employ them. What happened to you Ernie, you used to make at least some sense. Now, you’re just full on crazy moonbat.

angryed on October 26, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Lily

Brain redistribution! STAT!

Urban Infidel on October 26, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Second look at Peter Schiff for president? Or first…

LOL

Nineball on October 26, 2011 at 4:56 PM

This video reminded me: if you are paying over 50% of your income in combined state, local & federal taxes you are no longer working for yourself. You’re working for the government. You, your family, etc. get the leftovers. But at least the government is a model of efficiency, transparency, and integrity so your prime years are not being wasted. Not at all.

visions on October 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM

ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

..the results are in and it’s unanimous: you are a stupid shitt.

The War Planner on October 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Schiff 2012?

faraway on October 26, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I get so tired of hearing about Warren Buffett’s secretary… could someone
PLEASE direct these people to FACTCHECK.ORG to correct their misinformation?

ooonaughtykitty on October 26, 2011 at 4:59 PM

ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Who’s to say Schiff is screwing-over his employees, other than the employees themselves who have the freedom to quit any time they like.

Why is the default position that rich people only got rich by stomping on the back of others, laughing all the way? I’d like to see a large movie screen erected in Zucotti Park that would give bios of a few rich people to showcase just how many of them came from nothing yet succeeded wildly.

Bishop on October 26, 2011 at 5:00 PM

iamse7en on October 26, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I think he aligns himself with Ron Paul. A little bit of moonbat…

stacman on October 26, 2011 at 5:00 PM

A perfect example of the clash of ideologies…

… One based on Capitalism, the other on piss filled Tupperware.

Seven Percent Solution on October 26, 2011 at 5:00 PM

ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Why does it matter his Peter Schiff is a good or bad employer? Apparently, both he and his employees feel comfortable enough with the arrangement to allow it to continue.

If we take his statement at face value, then 150 people are not on unemployment because of him, and that means there’s 151 people in this microcosm paying taxes.

Suppose, instead, Schiff were taxed more so he could pay his “fair share,” and that led to him laying off, let’s say, two people (who would, then, no longer be contributing to the tax pool). How much more tax revenue would we need to collect from Mr. Schiff and his buddies in the 1% to provide those two newly-unemployed folks the same standard of living they have now? Would taxing them enough to cover that amount not lead to further layoffs? Doesn’t this become a vicious cycle very quickly?

BlueCollarAstronaut on October 26, 2011 at 5:00 PM

ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

He said, employ, not enslave.

They are free to go elsewhere if they feel they are maltreated or underpaid.

He could certainly be cheating on his taxes or, like Warren Buffet, he could be tying the IRS up in court while he disputes millions in taxes as he makes the rounds telling everyone that people like him should pay more in taxes because his secretary pays more than he does.

Then again, maybe HE lets his secretary use his tax lawyer so their taxes are the same.

The point, is. There are people out there, 150, who’s living, small though it may be, is provided by this man. Whereas, the protestors provide no living, few tax dollars, and have zero clue as to whence these things come.

One gets the impression that the idea that someone could just go out and, like, start a business and, like, pay taxes and wages and stuff is novel and foreign to them.

Lily on October 26, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I wish Schiff would have also mentioned the fact that Dearly Beloved Warren Buffet owes $1 BILLION in back taxes. A little tidbit the MSM forgets to mention each time it talks about his secretary.

angryed on October 26, 2011 at 5:01 PM

ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

That’s the thing about free markets, if you don’t like your job or boss, get a new job or become a boss and show the world how it’s done. They aren’t slaves, they are employees.

Cindy Munford on October 26, 2011 at 5:02 PM

She freaking works in the mortgage industry and yet doesn’t seem to have a basic understanding of the economy?

This guy was great. Good for him!

JellyToast on October 26, 2011 at 5:04 PM

ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Well, other than the fact he employs people, nothing noble there I suppose…

*faceplam*

catmman on October 26, 2011 at 5:05 PM

ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Not a thing.

Funny that not one of the protesters brought that up either…

catmman on October 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM

If liberals don’t know how to do a single other thing, they know how to filibuster.

Cindy Munford on October 26, 2011 at 5:10 PM

ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Job creators are who we need if we’re to fix the unemployment problem. Interesting that your first impulse is to cast suspicion on them. It’s not very constructive.

NukeRidingCowboy on October 26, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Every time someone says “Bush tax cuts” it must be immediately countered with “existing tax rates”. Pre-2001 was not some magical time with a top tax rate handed down from the Almighty. The US Congress passed, and then-President Bush signed, a reduction in all tax rates, which have now existed for 10 years.

It is old and tired when parroted by politicians and the state-friendly LSM.

Sheerq on October 26, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Schiff has a lot of balls. His kind of plain, commonsense approach to debating economic concepts could get some of those deranged nitwits frenzied.

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Who’s to say he isn’t screwing those 150?

ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Who are you to say he is? Prove it or move on.

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2011 at 5:24 PM

So if this lady is in the mortgage business then my question to her would be ‘so,how many of your clients did you grant a mortgage to while knowing they couldn’t keep up with the payments? How many of the 99% have you foreclosed on?’

theflyonthewall on October 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM

ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Nothing is to say he is noble. You’re right, he could be screwing those 150. Now is he? No. Did he claim he was noble? No. His point seems to be that he (not the gov’t) is creating jobs.

Now, a cute, snide question. Did you see that ridiculous sign of the girl claiming that she needs free education so that she doesn’t end up being a stripper? That’s right, if the gov’t doesn’t give her money she will be forced into the sex industry.

MeatHeadinCA on October 26, 2011 at 5:27 PM

A cute, snide remark, but so what?
ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

In fact, the comment cuts to the quick of the issue. That you miss this is telling. The capitalist generates goods and/or services of value, and employment. How else will people be employed? In a sense, this one capitalist has multipled his prosperity 150 times. The capitalist, to succeed, cannot avoid spreading his prosperity with opportunity.

Who’s to say he isn’t screwing those 150?

The reflexive Leftist assumption of bad faith. But if that were the case, they would be free to leave his employ. And the better capitalism does, the more choices they would have. The point is choice and opportunity. He has created 150 opportunities and given 150 people choices they might not have had. And who knows, they might take what they have learned and start their own companies which employ 150 others.

What a strange inversion, but again telling. For what is it about people who employ people that makes them suspect? What is it about Leftists that makes them believe “nobility” is some kind of essential predicate to serving a social good?

rrpjr on October 26, 2011 at 5:28 PM

ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I didn’t hear that. Did you hear that?

MeatHeadinCA on October 26, 2011 at 5:30 PM

That lady just hates Bush, doesn’t she…

MeatHeadinCA on October 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Don’t they all?

Del Dolemonte on October 26, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Oh Look, it’s Che’s dumber brother ernesto. Say ernie, about 80% of the world is Socialist or Communist and they are taking a crapper more so than the USA. Why don’t you join an already socialist shit hole!

Oh Gee, what I meant to say was, “you are pretty retarded aren’t you”, and all that other stuff just came out.

rgranger on October 26, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Don’t they all?

Del Dolemonte on October 26, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I’m sure they all do, but she’s stuck on half a talking point. I bet she’s an NYC public school teacher or something.

MeatHeadinCA on October 26, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Schiff FTW

ebrawer on October 26, 2011 at 5:43 PM

ernesto on October 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Translated: “The College Kids I agree with are being exposed as idiots, so I better go Alinsky on Peter Schiff!”

I’m sure you’ve been nrainwashed by the anti-Schiff hits from your fellow travelers. The aptly-named Leftist youtube uploader “schittentoilet” posted this awhile back, comparing Schiff to a Cult Leader:

Del Dolemonte on October 26, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Poor ernesto. Americans are tired of the protesters and his president. And there is nothing he can do about it.

kingsjester on October 26, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I would so vote for this man for president.

DrMagnolias on October 26, 2011 at 5:49 PM

iamse7en on October 26, 2011 at 4:19 PM
I don’t care if Peter Schiff has worked with the Ronulan.
Doesn’t make Ron Paul less of a Jew-hating, Alex Jones befriending coot.
*Yeah-I caught your drift almost immediately*

annoyinglittletwerp on October 26, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Scarecrow
I could while away the hours, conferrin’ with the flowers
Consultin’ with the rain.
And my head I’d be scratchin’ while my thoughts were busy hatchin’
If I only had a brain.
I’d unravel every riddle for any individ’le,
In trouble or in pain.
Dorothy
With the thoughts you’ll be thinkin’ you could be another Lincoln
If you only had a brain.
Scarecrow
Oh, I could tell you why The ocean’s near the shore.
I could think of things I never thunk before.
And then I’d sit, and think some more.
I would not be just a nothin’ my head all full of stuffin’
My heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be a ding-a-derry,
If I only had a brain.