Video: “The Man” 1, Occupy Oakland 0; Update: Protesters try to re-enter park

posted at 9:04 pm on October 25, 2011 by Allahpundit

Playing the part of “The Man” in this evening’s performance is Oakland’s Democratic mayor Jean Quan, who sent in cops in riot gear to clear the park early this morning. Her statement:

Many Oaklanders support the goals of the national Occupy Wall Street movement. We maintained daily communication with the protest0rs in Oakland.

However, over the last week it was apparent that neither the demonstrators nor the City could maintain safe or sanitary conditions, or control the ongoing vandalism. Frank Ogawa Plaza will continue to be open as a free speech area from 6 am to 10 pm.

We want to thank the police, fire, public works and other employees who worked over the last week to peacefully close the encampment. We also thank the majority of the protestors who peacefully complied with city officials.

An NBC crew on the scene reported that the operation was “smooth” and that there was mercifully little violence apart from some pushing and shoving during the arrests. That’s a welcome surprise: Occupy Oakland was the gold standard among the “Occupy” franchises for, er, “direct action,” with one local cop describing the tent city as something out of “Lord of the Flies.” Breitbart TV kept tabs on them via local news reports; scroll through the archives and relive the revolutionary excitement of reporters being warned not to enter the “commune” by a guy with a bandana over his mouth. Zombie went down there a few days ago to take pictures of the encampment. Follow the link to see what the media’s last, best hope for middle America looks like in action.

Meanwhile, new from the Times:

Obligatory caveat: The sample is 35D/25R/34I, which is a smidge more lopsided towards Democrats than usual. Even so, that’s an interesting result in two ways. One: People like what they think OWS stands for but they’re unsure about OWS itself, with a plurality saying they “haven’t heard enough” to form an opinion. How can you know whether you like a group’s ideas when you don’t know much about the group? Could be that people are simply reading their own grievances about bailouts and greedy bankers into the group’s name and assuming that its agenda must be middle-class and mainstream. If they saw reports like Zombie’s, they might think differently — but of course, they haven’t seen many reports like Zombie’s yet, have they? I make a living reading and writing about news/commentary and in the past month, among scores of OWS pieces I’ve read, the only left-wing take I’ve seen that’s been meaningfully critical of the movement’s fringe underpinnings was TNR’s editorial a few weeks ago. Two: The fact that relatively few people have formed an opinion about OWS means the left may still have a window to try to mainstream the movement, but the window’s going to close as the media is compelled to report on bad behavior. The last thing press sympathizers want to cover is a Democratic mayor evicting protesters due to destructive behavior but they’re forced to cover that tonight in Oakland and may be forced to cover it in Atlanta soon enough. Plus, the movement’s numbers are bound to shrink in the near term as the weather turns cold, which makes for an awfully bad “this thing’s taking off!” narrative. If Democrats wanted to get populist traction with an anti-Wall Street movement, they should have done it earlier this year and built it with a middle-class nucleus. Ah well — something to shoot for next spring as The One’s re-election campaign starts rolling.

Via Verum Serum and Zombie, here’s video of this morning’s crackdown in Oakland.

Update: Mayor Quan to the courtesy phone, please:

Group members say after stopping at the Glenn E. Dyer Detention Facility in downtown Oakland, the approximately 500 marchers plan to continue on to Frank Ogawa Plaza.

“We are going to march and reclaim what was already ours, what we call Oscar Grant Plaza and what they call City Hall,” one marcher said.

Early Tuesday, the city ousted protesters who had camped out for two weeks in a tent city at the plaza in front of City Hall. Police started assembling around the tent city at 14th Street and Broadway at about 3 a.m. Half a day later, the protesters are not going quietly.

Shortly before 5 p.m., about 500 people blocked 14th Street in both directions, chanting “power to the people, and then marching through downtown.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

I’m more stunned by the vote for McCain and it must have been a positive vote for McCain rather then a symbolic vote for his VP – since, I’m pretty sure Triple here would not have supported Sarah Palin on her lonesome. Who has later gone on to become an ardent Tea Party advocate.

Though I could be wrong… surrise me…

Sharr on October 26, 2011 at 3:15 AM

Considering I voted for bush twice, mccain once, I think it’s fair to say I’m capable of changing my mind.

triple on October 26, 2011 at 3:08 AM

Considering your leftist rants, I find that hard to believe. Also, I wonder why you never mentioned your brother worked at Tripler Army Hospital when it came up on that thread where you threatened to hurt me. Or are you just saying now that he worked at Tripler because you heard me mention it?

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 3:16 AM

They just photoshop cellulite out of Jessica Alba’s thighs, …..
Good Solid B-Plus on October 26, 2011 at 3:07 AM

Wait.

WHAT?!!?!?!?!
You tryin’ to tell me Jessica Alba has cellulite?
I know she has had a couple of kids, but still..
You blasphemer.

I’m coming after you… Right after I take care of that Cash Warren guy that stole my gal.

;-)

LegendHasIt on October 26, 2011 at 3:16 AM

I was doing it more to illustrate a point, but my opinion is if you can’t take it, why are you dishing it out?

triple on October 26, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Doing what?

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 3:17 AM

Radiation tech. Worked with the nuclear stuff in medical equipment, you know?

He was later sent to iraq to clean out tuwaitha.

But yeah, just making it all up! No liberals exist in the military. Go back to your conservative dreamland.

triple on October 26, 2011 at 3:19 AM

triple on October 26, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Just cusious why you didn’t mention him before when I told you about my friend and Tripler. How many brothers do you have?

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 3:20 AM

curious

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 3:21 AM

triple on October 26, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Doing what?

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 3:17 AM

And how were you illustrating what point here?

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 3:21 AM

well depends what you mean by brother.. (divorce. its complicated.)

triple on October 26, 2011 at 3:22 AM

triple on October 26, 2011 at 3:08 AM

You think it is fair? Did you take, at least, a tenth of a second to question this belief?

Could it be that your vote is not a matter of questioning your beliefs, but of not getting what you want? Is this a fair question?

Saltysam on October 26, 2011 at 3:24 AM

well depends what you mean by brother.. (divorce. its complicated.)

triple on October 26, 2011 at 3:22 AM

And sometimes convenient.

triple on October 26, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Doing what?

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 3:17 AM

And how were you illustrating what point here?

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 3:21 AM

And how were you illustrating what point here?

Sharr on October 26, 2011 at 3:21 AM

You have to ignore a lot of history to think like those two clowns. Creepy, freaky and scary. The whole uniform? My God.

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 3:26 AM

Sharr on October 26, 2011 at 3:21 AM

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 3:26 AM

Yeah, you can tell they wanted to be just make the USA the bad guy, and the Maoists enlightened Utopians.

Sharr on October 26, 2011 at 3:30 AM

Sharr on October 26, 2011 at 3:30 AM

I’m thinking, thoses are the guys that triple wants us to meet down there?

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 3:31 AM

triple on October 26, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Triple, I’m very interested to know what you were referring to here. If you were asserting your threats to me in July were because I was dishing something out and you wanted to see if I could take it too, let me remind you. You were the only talking about any violence being directed at anyone that night. If I’m wrong and you were referring to something else, my bad.

But what are you talking about here?

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 3:35 AM

only “one” …

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 3:35 AM

Sharr on October 26, 2011 at 3:30 AM

I’m thinking, thoses are the guys that triple wants us to meet down there?

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 3:31 AM

Very likely LOL! I’m sure we’d have a large chance of stumbling upon their like at most any #OWS event.

Sharr on October 26, 2011 at 3:36 AM

Okay, you guys should leave triple alone. It just doesn’t look good to be picking on a kid from the short bus.

Adjoran on October 26, 2011 at 3:43 AM

Sharr on October 26, 2011 at 3:36 AM

Well, I see examples of them at most.

Early simulator this morning. Later.

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 3:43 AM

“SEND IN THE SCOOPS!”

rayra on October 26, 2011 at 4:29 AM

/soylent brown is hippies

rayra on October 26, 2011 at 4:30 AM

Radiation tech. Worked with the nuclear stuff in medical equipment, you know?

He was later sent to iraq to clean out tuwaitha.

triple on October 26, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Why would a medical radiation tech be sent to a suspected nuclear weapons site to “clean it out”? That makes no sense whatsoever!

wirebitersmith on October 26, 2011 at 4:32 AM

wirebitersmith on October 26, 2011 at 4:32 AM

Not a bad question? When you invent your entire debate, anything is possible though.

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 6:49 AM

And the president is probably cheering the protesters on.

kingsjester on October 26, 2011 at 7:01 AM

Sharr on October 26, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Ah Temple U.

Hail alma mater.

Good Lt on October 26, 2011 at 7:42 AM

And the president is probably cheering the protesters on.

kingsjester on October 26, 2011 at 7:01 AM

good one KJ…moneyline at the end

cmsinaz on October 26, 2011 at 7:44 AM

cmsinaz on October 26, 2011 at 7:44 AM

Thank you, ma’am.

kingsjester on October 26, 2011 at 7:46 AM

idiot

triple on October 26, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Yes you are. Commies do not advocate for the middle class you frappin fool. They advocate for “the people”. “The people” are those who they deem have no access to political power and are enslaved by “The Man”. The middle class is the most powerful voting block in the country and are by no means enslaved by “The Man”.

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 7:46 AM

And the president is probably cheering the protesters on.

kingsjester on October 26, 2011 at 7:01 AM

And you know, who i am cheering? The Oakland cops who gave these filthy socialist scum …what they deserved a teargas bath ..

nagee76 on October 26, 2011 at 7:53 AM

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Gets a bit curious, no?

I took a number of comments by our Occupy Boston friend here ran them through Google and Bing, and one investigative site/search engine from back in the day, and got some interesting results…art history, web design, Boston area, Occupy Boston, comments about there being a minority of protestors who cause problems, and so on and a few others…and came up with a half dozen suspects, surprisingly with the same name in the Northeast. All apparently different people, but all having the same name. [Art historian, web designer, social activist, computer design consultant, other characteristics, traits and history.] If I had the time, and inclination, which I do not, I am sure I could run him to ground in a handful of key strokes.

Think our Occupier friend is made up of whole cloth?

Not outside the realm of possibility.

Used to “develop” a legend myself from time to time in my former career with just enough facts to allow anyone doing a background on me to come up with legit results, at times a wee bit conflicting, but nothing starkly definitive.

Is also the same technique used by sociopaths, frauds and money hustlers from time to time, according to my former profiling friends at Quantico.

Just seems a bit curious.

BTW, sure hope you are flying simulator today, not an actual aircraft.

coldwarrior on October 26, 2011 at 8:08 AM

First.

Bishop on October 26, 2011 at 8:14 AM

WOW, up to five pages now. Never would have guessed that when it started.

listens2glenn on October 26, 2011 at 8:16 AM

/soylent brown is hippies
rayra on October 26, 2011 at 4:30 AM

: )

listens2glenn on October 26, 2011 at 8:17 AM

listens2glenn on October 26, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Somebody kept passing around a platter of red meat.

coldwarrior on October 26, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Occupy Charlotte has had its first coup.

And somebody made a creepy video about the guy they kicked out:

mankai on October 26, 2011 at 8:23 AM

mankai on October 26, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Sic semper tyrannis.

They almost always will eat their own for the sake of “the movement.”

Robespierre comes to mind.

coldwarrior on October 26, 2011 at 8:29 AM

coldwarrior on October 26, 2011 at 1:45 AM

And that is why OWS > Tea party. The tea party was exclusive. Hate small government? Fine! But you better not be gay, atheist, mexican, etc. OWS is inclusive.
triple on October 26, 2011 at 1:49 AM

The neverending projections.

listens2glenn on October 26, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Where have all the hippies gone? Long time passing…

mankai on October 26, 2011 at 8:34 AM

It never ceases to amaze me the stupidity of the left. After each tyrant took over, they went flocking over there to wind up dead or imprisoned. So much for their brave new world.

Stalin? Yep. Too many to list were shot.
Mao? Yep.
Pol Pot? Again, executed.

The other day, I was reading about some South Korean academic who defected, against his wife’s wishes, to North Korea. This was in 1985. They allowed him to leave for an academic conference a few years ago, but his wife and child are stuck there forever.

I can’t believe that in this day and age we still have to rail against the evils of communism. Spit.

Blake on October 26, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Where have all the hippies gone? Long time passing tear gassing.

FIFY

coldwarrior on October 26, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Odd, but in the Oakland videos the ones you saw quietly clearing out had property, i.e., musical instruments, that they didn’t want destroyed, damaged, or confiscated in the melee. It’s amazing how they respect their own property…

Blake on October 26, 2011 at 8:45 AM

triple on October 26, 2011 at 1:49 AM

Yep. They like both Nazis AND Communists. David Duke, too.

JeffWeimer on October 26, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Absolute morons…

“He he Ho Ho…communist dumbasses gotta go!”
LOL

Lets play Cowboys and Communists… crank it

deedtrader on October 26, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Ah Temple U.

Hail alma mater.

Good Lt on October 26, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Really? You could have gone anywhere? And you chose Temple?

(A Philly shibboleth if ever there was one.)

JohnGalt23 on October 26, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Tol’ ya.

Oakland PD don’t play.

mojo on October 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Liberals that accuse conservatives of this usually know less math and science than anyone.
blink on October 26, 2011 at 10:57 AM

It’s hilarious how leftys claim how ‘sciencey’ they are, when every left/ lib I’ve ever been aware of avoids hard science, math and engineering courses and majors like the plague.

Anything that requires discipline, work , the application of deductive reasoning and logic is anathema to these goobers.

They inevitably are in sociology (a ‘science’ where you just make crap up), the arts,journalism (a prime career choice for spreading the gospel of progressiveism) ,Poli-Sci, Womyn’s and transgender studies, etc.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 26, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Well, I don’t have anything against the middle class. I have a lot against racists and homophobes.

triple on October 26, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Except anti-Semites… because hating the Jews is just cool… right Triple?

Or are you going to claim that isn’t a part of the OWS protests now? Want a video? Want five?

here, I’ll find five videos of OWS protesters railing against the JOOOS and their evil ways… just as soon as you find me three videos of tea partiers railing against minorities, or gays, or anything like that at their protests.

Get to it, consider how much work I’ll have to do once you’ve got your prominent and easy to find videos located.

** Yes guys, I already have 5 lined up, and he’ll never find 3… but maybe it’ll shut him up for a bit.

gekkobear on October 26, 2011 at 1:45 PM

coldwarrior on October 26, 2011 at 8:18 AM

I apologize for missing this post this morning, but you’re exactly right coldwarrior. And I think there’s still more coming. : )

listens2glenn on October 26, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Glad you all are keepin’ it classy as an Iraq war vet is in the hospital with a brain injury courtesy of the Oakland police who, after he went down, kept on firing. Just keep on smirking.

Constantine on October 26, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Just seems a bit curious.

truth be known, I don’t believe half of what it writes here. I realated a story about a female friend who was beat within an inch on Oahu in the late seventys when I was stationed there. She was protesting an abortion clinic going up. She went to Tripler. Triple never mentions a thing but all of the sudden he has a “brother” who worked there. Wasn’t something to mention then, but it was tonight. Makes you wonder.

BTW, sure hope you are flying simulator today, not an actual aircraft.

coldwarrior on October 26, 2011 at 8:08 AM

It was a sim (TBOS) for today. We rotate from the flightline to the sim. It lets us take students from the class to the TBOS to the flightline. They like the continuity of having the same instructor pilot except someone else checks them. Our guys on the flightline this phase did fly. The bad weather isn’t really brewing up until right now. They just said it was really windy.

Thanks for the comment.

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Constantine on October 26, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Now you “like” soldiers? Your history would say otherwise by your comments on Hot Air in history past. I guess they have to be gay or a protestor?

They were actively returning the tear gas that was fired by officers using that weapon legally. The protestors were illegally attacking the officer. Sorry, vet or no vet, game on. They had their chance to obey the law.

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 5:58 PM

mankai on October 26, 2011 at 8:23 AM

They have very elaborate rules and peer evaluations. Who knew?

hawkdriver on October 26, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Constantine on October 26, 2011 at 4:46 PM

You are judged by the company that you keep. The soldier CHOSE to align himself with people that usually protest AGAINST HIM and his fellow soldiers. He is standing shoulder to shoulder with people like Code Stink and their ilk. If they were at an anti-war/military protest, they would be calling him a baby killer and accuse him of raping women and robbing people of their rights. But, he is down there with these people and they were asked to disperse, by order of the mayor. The police handled it professionally, the job of removing anarchists, communists, marxists, and other trash that HATE them….and this soldier, if this story is true, is being used by the same people that HATE him.
They were allowed to voice their concerns, but when their presence threatens general hygeine and common good, they need to go home and deal with the fact that they are common parasites.

HornetSting on October 27, 2011 at 6:19 PM

So I guess being a liberal means you

a) Waive your constitutional rights.

b) Deserve to get shot in the head and put in a coma.

triple on October 28, 2011 at 3:41 PM

triple on October 26, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Perhaps this is yet another Cindy vs. Casey Sheehan moment. triple wishes his brother to be liberal — therefore he is.

unclesmrgol on October 28, 2011 at 5:55 PM