Romney refuses to defend Kasich on PEU reform? Update: Romney supported Kasich reforms in June; Update: Perry camp slams Romney

posted at 2:45 pm on October 25, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Perhaps it all comes down to the definition of “endorse.” Mitt Romney traveled to Ohio today, where Republicans are hoping to hold off a referendum that would overturn Governor John Kasich’s reform of public-employee union bargaining, one that went farther than a similar effort in Wisconsin earlier this year. The trip included a stop and an appearance at the center where organizing to defend the PEU reforms is taking place. Romney then told the crowd and the press that he wasn’t there to take a position on any ballot measure, leaving many to assume that he wouldn’t defend Kasich. State GOP chair Kevin DeWine defended Romney by saying he didn’t invite Romney to Ohio to endorse the measure, but will that take the heat off of Romney for taking a pass?

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

CNN’s Peter Hamby called Romney’s avoidance an “incredible moment in politics.” Conn Carroll at the Washington Examiner hammered Romney and questioned Romney’s commitment to reform:

The Ohio Chamber of Commerce, the Columbus Dispatch, the Cleveland Plain DealerTim Pawlenty, and multiple mayors have all backed Kasich’s law. The Plain Dealer wrote:

Ohio [can’t] pass up this opportunity to break with an unsustainable status quo. Yes, change is scary. But look around: Not changing is even scarier. When they mark their ballots, Ohioans cannot worry about what is best for any political party or interest group — on either side of this debate. They need to consider what’s best for the future of their children, their communities, their state.

If Romney can’t endorse this common sense reform at the state level, why should conservatives believe he will fight against government unions at the federal level.

Erick Erickson blasts Romney and the excuse that came from his campaign:

Playing it too safe is finally biting Romney in the rear end. He’s refused to call social security a ponzi scheme. He’s refused to offer bold economic reform plans. He’s refused to address significant changes in entitlement reforms. His whole campaign has centered around tapioca.

And today, while at a call center where volunteers were calling people to support Governor Kasich’s reforms, Mitt Romney . . . well . . .

But wait! What’s that you say? Romney is in Ohio supporting another ballot initiative? Well then I think we need to throw out three letters and a punctuation mark: W, T, and F, followed by a question mark and maybe an exclamation mark for good measure.

TPM also notices the dodge, but has a pretty good explanation for why Romney may be hedging his bets on SB5:

Of course, there seems to be a fairly simple explanation for Romney’s hedging: the bill looks to be going down hard. Quinnipiac’s polling showed that repeal forces have a 25 point lead at the moment, and a recent Public Policy Polling (D) survey showed a 20 point one.

And with the law seemingly going down in flames, it’s probably not good political maneuvering to come out hard in support of it. Romney was shown in a recent PPP survey to be in a good position in Ohio, with the pollster even going as far to say that if the election was held tomorrow, President Obama would lose the state to Romney.

I’m not sure that Romney’s statement really distances him from SB5, anyway.  Simply making the appearance at a phone bank set up explicitly to defend SB5 certainly implies an endorsement of the activity taking place.  But given that Romney appears to have selective principles about weighing in on ballot initiatives in Ohio, the lack of explicit endorsement will most likely hurt the campaign to defend Kasich’s PEU reforms.  That’s an outcome practically guaranteed to enrage conservatives looking to break the political stranglehold unions have on state politics and budgeting.

If Romney wasn’t prepared to endorse the GOP’s efforts on this ballot initiative, then he should have found another venue for his campaign today.

Update (Allahpundit): They call him Flipper, Flipper, faster than lightning…

“My friends in Ohio are fighting to defend crucial reforms that the state has put in place to limit the power of union bosses and keep taxes low,” Romney wrote on his Facebook page in June. “I stand with John R. Kasich and Ohio’s leaders as they take on this important fight to get control of government spending. Please visit www.BetterOhio.org for more information.”
Continue Reading

The website is devoted to advocating for “Issue 2,” the ballot measure which would ratifiy the collective bargaining legislation passed earlier this year. If the referendum fails, the law would be overturned.

Update (Allahpundit): Just released from Team Perry:

“Mitt Romney’s finger-in-the-wind politics continued today when he refused to support right-to-work reforms signed by Ohio Governor John Kasich – reforms Romney supported in June. Americans are tired of politicians who change their beliefs to match public opinion polls. Mitt Romney has a long record of doing this on issues like government-mandated health care and the Obama stimulus. Mitt Romney needs to realize that when you try to stand on both sides of an issue, you stand for nothing.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

This is the field – I guess we just have to see if Karl Rove has anything left up his sleeve.

Dr Evil on October 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I think it is a serious mistake for Perry to go negative in order to revive his campaign with the base. We are the TEA Party….do we really want to see attacks or would we rather be trusted to hear what each candidates plan is and make up our own minds?

csdeven on October 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM

This is absolutely ironic considering you blew a tonsil over the Palin Paul Revere comment.

fossten on October 25, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Why?

csdeven on October 25, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Mitt Romney’s finger-in-the-wind politics

Mitt, take the finger out of the air and put it where it belongs…

right2bright on October 25, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Why?

csdeven on October 25, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Huh? What? Where? Who me? What did I do? I didn’t do anything…I have no idea what you are talking about? I didn’t do it….
Ohhhhh, csdeven, you are so obvious, it pains me to read some of your posts….Why?

right2bright on October 25, 2011 at 5:51 PM

No he wasn’t. The media asked him to discuss them and he refused.

csdeven on October 25, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Well, you can play the no he wasn’t game all you want. It doesn’t change the narrative that Romney flipped…again. He was for it before he wasn’t. Or, refused to comment…same thing.

Too close to home?

Falz on October 25, 2011 at 5:46 PM

I don’t know. You only gave us the teaser.

cozmo on October 25, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Not just people here. It’s all over twitter and other blogs too.

kerrhome on October 25, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I think they see Romney as the thing that wouldn’t go away. So every little issue becomes of huge importance. Like it will finally make him go away. The result is that they are stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

csdeven on October 25, 2011 at 5:52 PM

No he wasn’t. The media asked him to discuss them and he refused.

csdeven on October 25, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Like the “hypothetical” economic disaster in Europe, that Mitt says is purely hypothetical…he seems to not have a grasp on current issues.

right2bright on October 25, 2011 at 5:54 PM

csdeven on October 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I think the ship has sailed. I think it’s going to get ugly, and no one is going to come away unmarked, no one…..it would be great though if they took time outs to give Obama a what for every now, and then. I can imagine Santorum telling Obama, Hey champ keep your pants on, we’ll get to you next ;)

Dr Evil on October 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM

“Mitt Romney” — A BLR Soundbite

Chip on October 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM

When someone is as much as a disaster as Mitt, you have to go negative on him, the sooner he is removed from being a candidate, the quicker we can get on with the task of removing Obama…Mitt is proving himself to be Obama Lite, sounds great, less filling….

right2bright on October 25, 2011 at 5:58 PM

He was for it before he wasn’t. Or, refused to comment…same thing.

cozmo on October 25, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Your fear of Romney is coloring your outlook. Romney was being too cute by half. AGAIN. He was trying to walk the line in case the initiative fails there is no sound bite that can be used against him in the general.

See, Romney is less concerned with the primary because Obama is so disliked and the GOP base is energized to vote. All the polling bears out those facts. Perry, Cain, and the rest are fighting for the base and aren’t concerned with how they will fare against Obama.

So, Romney’s strategy is to be the last man standing after the primary and go on to beat Obama. But there could come a time when he will have to go after the base. As long as Perry keeps attacking him and Cain keeps stepping on his tongue, Romney can continue to pander to the indies and the base, which is made up of mostly rational folks, will support him fully in the general in order to defeat Obama.

csdeven on October 25, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Don’t we already have a weasel in the White House?

WordsMatter on October 25, 2011 at 3:00 PM

We do and no one is interested in making sure he gets out of there. I want to know what each of these candidates is willing to do to make sure he is a one term president. We don’t have a lot of time left. Focus on what to do to clean up his mess. We are in survival mode out here.

BetseyRoss on October 25, 2011 at 6:05 PM

csdeven on October 25, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I don’t fear Romney. If he is the candidate I will cast my vote, for him, with a smile (a righty congress ought to keep him in line). Its y’all Romney nutballs that fear any candidate other than Romney. You either figure a Romney in the White House will keep most of your true pick’s (Obama) programs around, or won’t beat Obama in the general.

cozmo on October 25, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Romney is running the Hillary campaign of committing to nothing and thinking he is owed the nom.

Southernblogger on October 25, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Southernblogger on October 25, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Wow. He really is, isn’t he?

lorien1973 on October 25, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Rick Perry HATES unions. Mention the word “union” to Rick Perry and all he sees are coyotes trying devour his kid’s puppies.

HondaV65 on October 25, 2011 at 3:25 PM

True, LOL

bluefox on October 25, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Andrea Mitchell and Rick Perry trying to make something out of nothing.

It’s not enough for Mitt Romney to be versed in every Federal issue, and foreign policy entanglement, but NOW it’s important for Presidential candidates to take sides on every ballot measure facing local voters in all 50 states? I don’t think so.

Romney doesn’t need to have a position on this issue for one simply reason. He is NOT a resident of OHIO! He won’t be voting on that ballot measure. S’funny that in all of Rick Perry’s blustering statement condemning Romney, Rick never said where he stood on the ballot measure.

As a Californian I want to know where the candidates stand on 1444 – a ballot initiative we’ll be voting on in 2012 to raise Cigarette taxes to supposedly help pay for cancer research – ohwaitaminute – I don’t care because it has nothing to with running for President.

joncoltonis on October 25, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Wait until Mittens comes out and changes his position for the reforms…

… with the wide eyed expression, raised eye brows, and high voice.

Can.Not.Wait…

Seven Percent Solution on October 25, 2011 at 6:35 PM

After watching it, this is a bigger non-story than I realized. He said he supported Kasich’s efforts to reduce government.

That is someone that’s sitting on the fence would say. Kasich has already reduced the government deficit and it’s now a surplus!! His Treasurer Secretary that’s running against Senator Brown(Dem) has already saved unneeded expenses too. Ohio is Red again!!! Governor Kasich is the Budget Master!!

Don’t think Ohio won’t remember this “courageous” stand by Romney today, LOL

bluefox on October 25, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Blaming the media is legitimate, then, if it’s in defense of Romney?

He was in Ohio, he stated a position on a separate initiative, but was utterly silent on this. Andrea Mitchell didn’t duct-tape his mouth closed, nor did she hack his Facebook account to edit in a June endorsement of the same measure he suddenly isn’t aware of.

KingGold on October 25, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Thank you!

bluefox on October 25, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Awful Romney. Just awful. If his opponents can’t bury him with that clip and “For Pete’s sake, I’m running for office!”, none of them deserve to be the nominee.

Lawdawg86 on October 25, 2011 at 6:50 PM

I don’t fear Romney. If he is the candidate I will cast my vote, for him, with a smile (a righty congress ought to keep him in line). Its y’all Romney nutballs that fear any candidate other than Romney. .
cozmo on October 25, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Helloooooooh, Jackass. Since the headline thread is dead, let me make myself clear right here since you specifically made this charge against me. I do not speak for anyone else. Here are the facts: I defended Rick Perry on the Garidisil and N-word rock kerfuffles; I have said many positive things about Herman Cain (for many months now – going back to before he was a candidate); I defended Newt Gingrich when Hot Air’s knee jerk contingent dumped on him and have praised him many times for his brilliance and eloquence. I have also been critical of them when warranted in my opinion. I am in no way in “fear” of any candidate other than Barack Obama, and I guarantee you that both my defense and criticism of them is far more cogent than anything you have ever said.

Buy Danish on October 25, 2011 at 7:57 PM

I’m not a big Romney fan…

But it don’t really see the problem here.

Romney gave his support back in June. Now he’s in Ohio campaigning and he probably had some other topic that he wanted to focus on- such as say the high unemployment rate in Ohio.

So he says he’s not there to comment on the ballot issue, because he doesn’t want that to bury his preferred topic.

Candidates do that all the time. I’m not seeing the betrayal.

Look, I don’t care for Romney, but there’s no need to make something out of nothing. It’s dishonest, and I don’t like. I don’t like it when the MSM does it, and I don’t like it when conservative bloggers do it. I expect better from you Ed.

Sackett on October 25, 2011 at 7:58 PM

When it really matters, when the GOP starts to show some backbone, count on Mitt.

AshleyTKing on October 25, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Somebody . . . please tell me again what is it that Romney believes in and is willing to fight for.

rplat on October 25, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I’m a Buckeye (Cincinnati area), and I phuck you, Romney.

BuckeyeSam on October 25, 2011 at 8:47 PM

rplat on October 25, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Same thing as that SCOAMF president we have: Himself.

TXUS on October 25, 2011 at 9:03 PM

McCain=Romney
Romney=McCain

purgatory on October 25, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Cozmo

For the record… Another thing I defended Perry on – the assertion from some Hot Air commenters who that he quote/unquote “said” those who don’t believe in in-state tuition are “racists”.

Buy Danish on October 25, 2011 at 9:37 PM

who

[the assertion from some Hot Air commenters who that he quote/unquote “said” those who don’t believe in in-state tuition are “racists”.]

Buy Danish on October 25, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Today I heard Perry entangle himself in birther nonsense just by saying not saying he didn’t believe it hard enough. Last week Cain got in the same fix over abortion.

So now MSNBE is doing the same thing to Romney for not being strong enough in his endorsement of the Kasich petition, and you’re buying it. He said he supported Kasich’s efforts, but admitted he wasn’t terribly familiar with the petition. The state GOP chairman says this is perfectly acceptable and they didn’t expect any more.

Sheesh! Get a grip! This is MSNBC, Andrea Mitchell, people! He was being candid, and you people go bananas because he didn’t let himself get drawn into an issue about Ohio state politics!

What’s the matter, Perry announced his flat tax plan and there just wasn’t enough real news to follow? This is just stupid.

flataffect on October 25, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Marcus on October 25, 2011 at 10:40 PM

cozmo on October 25, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Seriously? That’s it? lol You’re a former Palin loon aren’t you! The tortured logic you use to make reality fit your desired narrative is a sight to behold. Does it hurt when you do that or are you so numbed by your ignorance that the pain doesn’t register?

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Buy Danish on October 25, 2011 at 9:37 PM

So, you’ve been drinkin’ from the Romney cup now.

Seriously? That’s it? lol You’re a former Palin loon aren’t you!

csdeven on October 26, 2011 at 1:29 AM

No, I haven’t picked a horse in this race. I like toying with y’all hatin’ nutballs. Looks like you had a long night. To bad I missed your tirades.

cozmo on October 26, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Buy Danish on October 25, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Its a good day when I can start it with a laugh. Thanks for supplying the first one of the day. I’m sure you, and the other Romney nutballs, will give us many more.

cozmo on October 26, 2011 at 8:35 AM

ORomney is Clorox dipped Obama. Period.

SDN on October 26, 2011 at 8:39 AM

With all his money and connections and great hair Romney couldn’t beat an irascible, moody curmudgeon who ran the worst campaign since Bob Dole. But now we are supposed to believe he’s the only one electable against Obama? Just doesn’t compute.

Extrafishy on October 26, 2011 at 8:43 AM

BetseyRoss on October 25, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Agree that we should all be focusing on Obama and yet we spend 90% of our time focusing on each other’s weaknesses/faults/missteps and this ONLY hurts us not Obama.

cozmo on October 25, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Cozmo,
Not all Romney voters are “nutballs” as you stated. We also do not fear other candidates…I will vote for whoever our nominee is to get Obama out of office HOWEVER I have read too many quotes on HA that people will NOT vote for Romney if he is the R candidate, so really where is the fear coming from?

Romney is a great candidate and I agree that when you get into politics you have to play to your base and then also look to what will get you elected so you can do what is best for the greatest amount of people possible. Not all people will agree with you when you are a politician and it will be the same whether Perry, Cain, Romney, or whoever is our President. I just believe of all the candidates, Romney has the best EXPERIENCE to get our country back on track.

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 8:45 AM

He may not be big on current Ohio state politics. Be it PEU’s or whatever. I’m not and I consider myself a political sicko.

This is not a controversy. It may be a very minor flub, but it’s not ground shattering.

JoeinTX on October 26, 2011 at 12:06 AM

agreed as well…But see the meme is that some conservatives believe the media is “picking” their candidate for them, which is silly if you stopped and thought about that comment as no one can pick YOUR candidate but YOU, and so to go in the other direction from Romney’s poll numbers HA and others needs to find EVERY report our there on Romney that paints him in a critical light and then POSTS go way up on the site!

HA columnists rarely post ALL the backers from State and National Legislatures that are lined up behind Romney. This would throw off the “everyone hates Romney” picture. Go to Romney’s site http://www.mittromney.com and see everyone that is coming out daily and backing him.

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Cozmo,

I have never said all Romney voters are nutballs. Nutballs are nutballs no matter who they support.

If Romney is the rep candidate next November, I will happily vote for him. The nutballs are the one’s who can only attack other candidates. And go to the extreme to justify the actions of their own.

cozmo on October 26, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Candidates do that all the time. I’m not seeing the betrayal.

Sackett on October 25, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Sackett concur wholeheartedly! ALL politicians do this and many on this site have already danced around something Perry did or didn’t do as well as Cain, Bachmann, etc…it just happens to be that Romney is not black walnut ice cream…so he must be repelled!

I still think and believe Romney will make a great president and we will have a strong Congress that also will keep any of his “liberal” tendencies that you all believe he has and we’ll be able to turn this country around.

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 8:58 AM

cozmo on October 26, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Great to hear Coz!

the ultimate goal is to get Obama out of office and those on here that state they will stay home or vote 3rd party are only electing Obama again like what happened in 1994 (Perot – gave us Clinton) and 2006 (Dem Congress that we are still cleaning up from).

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 9:02 AM

like what happened in 1994 Perot

oops meant to say 1996!

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 9:03 AM

oops meant to say 1996!

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 9:03 AM

I think you mean 1992 and 1996.

I have never said I was against any of the rep candidates, except maybe Paul and Bachman. There are pros, and cons, for all the rest.

I don’t like what Romney did, and it is a window to his character. As I have stated before, if Romney becomes president, there needs to be strong leaders in congress to keep things from going the way they did last times the reps controlled the White House and the hill.

cozmo on October 26, 2011 at 9:08 AM

I just want to post some thing Rush said today regarding Palin and her endorsing a candidate and I think this applies here with Romney in Ohio and also with all of our candidates as they do not want to feed the Democratic/MSM machine because THAT is the bigger goal here to defeat them:

“If she wants to run down the road, it’s gonna be very difficult. I’m not sure that she would do it if she has political aspirations down the road, because even though she’s not in, if she chooses somebody else, she’s by definition, elevating somebody above herself, and in this business I don’t know that you do that. Wait ’til after the nominee is chosen, then get involved, that’s the safe play, that’s the thing to do for the sake of the party, and there’s the party to be considered here. A lot of these people will do what they do to remain in good favor with the party ’cause the party’s the vehicle.

You gotta build your machine within the party. So it’s six of one half dozen the other on that as to what she’ll do. But you’ll have fun waiting. You’ll be filled with all kinds of anticipation waiting. And when you do something like that you burn a bridge. I mean when you pick somebody, you’re not picking four or five others, and she may not want to burn a bridge that she’s gonna eventually have to cross herself.”

So in this instance, and according to Rush, I think Romney was being a politician and making the safe play. As stated earlier, Romney was there likely to promote something else and did not want to get dragged into another issue. Perry allowed himself to do that with the Birth certificate issue.

g2825m on October 26, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Guess giving the facts on Romney is going negative? Give me a break! They are running for the nomination and since a lot of people watch Fox News and Fox is in the tank for Romney and Cain, what is Perry supposed to do — ignore the facts on Romney so Romney or his supporters don’t get their feelings hurt.

This is politics not playing in the sand. If you cannot stand the rough and tumble, then get out. I didn’t see people saying anything when Bachmann, Romney, and Cain ganged up on Perry at the debates and after that biased Orlando debate which was documented how Fox News threw the debate.

Guess the Romney ad that called Perry dumb was okay because it came from Romney. BTW, he had to pull it.

What is with some of you people? Guess if you ignore the facts on candidates they are just going to away.

Cain waffles on pro-life and some of you cover your ears and don’t hear or that he is an associate pastor in a very liberal church where the minister uses Malcolm X as his guide or that he had a desk, phone, and email address for Americans for Properity which does not show up on his resume, or that he transferred money from his campaign fund to his private business? Cover your ears so you won’t hear including he wants empowerment zones in urban areas to only pay 3-3-3 and employers can take the pay of their workers of their taxes. Can you say fraud in the making?

Romney signed into law Romneycare that provided healthcare for illegals, flip flops on almost issue from running I am and will be pro-choice as Governor in 2002 — the ad is on line along with one from his wife less than ten years ago. He was part of group opposing Sam Alito to SCOTUS, etc. Yet Perry comes out with details on his flip flop on Right to Work and we are told he shouldn’t go negative.

Instead of listening to Fox, do your own investigation.

PhiKapMom on October 26, 2011 at 11:44 AM

cozmo on October 26, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Aint that the truth. I dont care of some one knocks someones plan but the personal attacks are just childish. And the list of those that are nutballs is long, you can tell who they are by reading the posts.

ColdWarrior57 on October 26, 2011 at 12:04 PM

He didn’t flip-flop here… he’s just adjusting his stance.

He used to be for this, now he doesn’t have an opinion.

He used to be strongly for ethanol subsidies, now he doesn’t have a strong opinion… he’s not strongly for anything, and he’s watering down his already mediocre content until it contains nothing.

Who can oppose a leader who doesn’t stand for anything, doesn’t really believe in anything, and won’t fight for anything. We need a wishy-washy windsock of a President because that will…

Wait, why do we need that again?

gekkobear on October 26, 2011 at 2:02 PM