“Greater Together”: Obama campaign targets 18-to-29-year-olds

posted at 1:25 pm on October 25, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Based on the evidence of just one campaign, Barack Obama’s magic with youth voters became almost legendary — but he’s not necessarily the favorite to capture the millennial vote again this go-round. In fact, his camp is obviously concerned that the 18-to-29-year-old demographic might escape his pocket: The O campaign today rolled out a major new initiative to target youth voters both on and off college campuses. Of special interest to the incumbent — who’s worried, perhaps, that he can’t count on the loyalty of disappointed former supporters — are the more than 16 million potential Obamamaniacs who were too young to vote in 2008.

Called “Greater Together,” the effort will include a website (supposedly to go live today — hasn’t yet) and “Obama Student Summits” at various colleges in crucial swing states like Ohio and Pennsylvania. (The first such summit will take place Nov. 2 in Philadelphia.) The former executive of Russell Simmons’ Hip Hop Summit Action will be at the helm of the whole gig, with help from Obama’s campaign manager, Jim Messina, who explains the amped-up outreach by reminding us that “the president has traditionally done very well with young voters, and there are several million voters who weren’t old enough to vote in the last election.”

True, true — but why doesn’t Messina just come out and say the campaign is concerned about the president’s growing unpopularity with youth voters? (Rhetorical question, people.) USA Today highlights Obama’s problems with Generation Vexed:

Obama’s standing with younger voters also has dropped amid economic problems that have left young people with jobless rates much higher than their elders. The unemployment rate for 20- to 24-year-olds is 14.7%, and for 18- to 19-year-olds a staggering 23.3%. Growing numbers of recent college graduates have moved back to live with their parents.

In 2008, 66% of voters under 30 supported Obama, by far his strongest age group, according to surveys of voters as they left polling places on Election Day. Last month, his approval rating in the Gallup Poll among that age group dipped below 50%.

What’s more, young voters are the least reliable age group for voting unless inspired by a particular candidate, as many were by Obama in 2008.

Still, that’s not to say the youth vote will go handily to the GOP candidate. Obama proved adept in 2008 at meeting young people where they are — online — and it appears his campaign is prepared to do it again. Plus, BHO’s people see important similarities between the incumbent and the youth whose support he seeks: The younger demographic is diverse and likely to be liberal on social issues, for example.

But the College Republicans, at least, are equally confident in the GOP’s ability to win the youth vote. Research by the non-partisan Generation Opportunity also shows receptivity to a free-market message among young adults. And youth voters who did vote in 2008 have signaled they’re more likely this cycle to research candidates’ policy positions before casting their ballots, suggesting they won’t be swayed solely by charisma.

Still, those 16 million who weren’t even eligible to vote last time might very well prove to be like youth voters throughout history — motivated to go to the polls less by party affiliation or heightened awareness of the significance of this election and more by a candidate’s personal attractiveness. The eventual GOP candidate will have to illustrate his or her youth appeal to draw out support. A little effort in this direction from any one of the Republican potentials would be much appreciated — and, in this particular economic climate in which millennials have suffered disproportionately, unusually likely to pay off.

Comments

Greater (unemployment numbers) together.

lorien1973 on October 25, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Obama first decries, then employs methods used by Joe Camel and Cap’n Crunch.

“Get’em young”

BobMbx on October 25, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Maybe he could start a new program to organize the younger crowd, call it “Obama Youth” or something.

Bishop on October 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Obama: Don’t worry! Vote for me again and this time I’ll use lube while I’m destroying your job future.

MeatHeadinCA on October 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I know definitively of two soon-to-be 18 year old votes Zero WON’T be getting.
FREEDOM!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM

There is that looming issue of Obama-initiated power shortages and rolling blackouts due to hit around heavy campaign time that will have an effect on the “on-line’ crowd.

“What?! No bars? Dude…this Android sucks…..”

BobMbx on October 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM

“Greater together” = “From each according to his ability, to each according to his need”

otisframpton on October 25, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Bishop on October 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Set up some camps on the golf courses. Michelle’s bringing the arugula!

MeatHeadinCA on October 25, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Peanut butter and jelly are good on their own..but they are “Greater Together”. In less than 24 hours since launching the whole #wecantwait fiasco he steps in another pile. Please tell me this new slogan has a twitter account. Reading the comments yesterday made the afternoon enjoyable.

milwife88 on October 25, 2011 at 1:33 PM

up there with together we thrive

cmsinaz on October 25, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Free Mao jackets for everyone. That might work.

RBMN on October 25, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I have a feeling Generation Chump is about ready to shake off the crap and move on.

DanMan on October 25, 2011 at 1:36 PM

My 16-year-old won’t turn 18 until 3 months after the election. And boy is he disappointed he won’t have the chance to vote against Obama.

CJ on October 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I know definitively of two soon-to-be 18 year old votes Zero WON’T be getting.
FREEDOM!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I know several, who are college, and high school levels, eligible to vote, who dont’ like Obama, nor will vote for him their first time in the voting booth. :D

capejasmine on October 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Younger minds are easier to brainwash. Younger emotions are easier to deceive. The Marxist-in-Chief is doing what he does best: con people.

infidel4life on October 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Obama first decries, then employs methods used by Joe Camel and Cap’n Crunch.

“Get’em young”

BobMbx on October 25, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Pragmatism (n.) – what the left calls hypocrisy when they do it

OneGyT on October 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Ignorance and inexperience are the O’Bozo Campaign’s best friends.

Jaibones on October 25, 2011 at 1:41 PM

CJ on October 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Same thing with my son…by 24 days.

I’m in dark, smoky back-room talks with some libs getting some pointers on how to overcome that….I’ll let you know.

BobMbx on October 25, 2011 at 1:41 PM

It’s tough to stop a landslide…

PatriotRider on October 25, 2011 at 1:42 PM

You know who would win the youth vote?…

JohnGalt23 on October 25, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Next Year’s Theme:

The Less You Know About Anything — The More You’ll Like Obama!

Jaibones on October 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Are 18-29 year-olds all that he has left?

SlaveDog on October 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM

CJ on October 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM

My 18th birthday was maybe 12 days before the 1988 election.
My son’s is on April 1st and my nephew’s is in June.
They might miss the primaries-but they’re all set for the general.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 25, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Like say… a civilian security force just as well equipped and just as well funded as the military?

crazy_legs on October 25, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Save your money, Barry. You’ve already got the uninformed demographic in the bag.

rogerb on October 25, 2011 at 1:46 PM

It’s tough to stop a landslide

PatriotRider on October 25, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Easier than you think. Re-label it “erosion“, then create a rogue government agency to create regulations that ban it.

BobMbx on October 25, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Are 18-29 year-olds all that he has left?

SlaveDog on October 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM

No, I think he still has his garden hoe.

BobMbx on October 25, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I guess Team Obama’s thinking is since none of the 18-29 year olds can find jobs, they’ll have plenty of free time to campaign for the president over the next 12 months.

jon1979 on October 25, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Going after the airhead vote?

Ward Cleaver on October 25, 2011 at 1:48 PM

“If you like your old bedroom in Mom’s house, you can keep your old bedroom”

Love,

Li’l Barry.

reaganaut on October 25, 2011 at 1:48 PM

And I look forward to watching the “Obama Student Summits”. Will the OWS drummers provide the music? The “Pulse” of Obama, as it were.

They have great potential for Comedy Gold.

SlaveDog on October 25, 2011 at 1:48 PM

No, I think he still has his garden hoe.

BobMbx on October 25, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Brutal. But fair.

SlaveDog on October 25, 2011 at 1:50 PM

good luck with that one

phillypolitics on October 25, 2011 at 1:50 PM

This is why Ryan (or Rubio) would be a great VP candidate.

cpaulus on October 25, 2011 at 1:50 PM

rogerb on October 25, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Yeah, but will they show up to vote? Same goes for the black vote?

MeatHeadinCA on October 25, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Are 18-29 year-olds all that he has left?

SlaveDog on October 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM

He doesn’t have this one.

Abby Adams on October 25, 2011 at 1:52 PM

MTV in Chief already spent their futures.

Hening on October 25, 2011 at 1:52 PM

He thinks he’s at a rave.

Catherine Wilkinson on October 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Yeah, but will they show up to vote?

I doubt that they will. It’s a bit like a rock band and their lousy 2nd album.

I think it depends on what sort of ballot questions they can add in certain states to attract more voters. They like to throw in some gay marriage/legalize pot hot button questions, but I think those have been played out inb the last few elections (in MA, anyway).

reaganaut on October 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM

New voters: the only way to avoid the massive debt I’ve accrued in your name is to pass it on to the next generation. Vote for Barry for free debt.

gwelf on October 25, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I know definitively of two soon-to-be 18 year old votes Zero WON’T be getting.
FREEDOM!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM

That is encouraging. Thank you, and congratulations.

GaltBlvnAtty on October 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Yeah, but will they show up to vote?

I doubt that they will. It’s a bit like a rock band and their lousy 2nd album.

reaganaut on October 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Obama, the one hit wonder. Or maybe the Milli Vanilli of politics.

SlaveDog on October 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Hope

Change.

Marks.

Rubes.

Chumps.

Heh.

Bruno Strozek on October 25, 2011 at 2:01 PM

the Milli Vanilli of politics.

SlaveDog on October 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Speechless. A perfect description in every conceivable way.

Girl you know it’s true, (look left)
uh uh uh, I love you. (look right, thumb pinch)
Yes you know it’s true, (look left, gaze up)
uh uh uh, I love you. (scowl at SCOTUS)

BobMbx on October 25, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Hope and Change: FAIL
We are the ones we’ve been waiting for: FAIL
Attack Watch: FAIL
#wecantwait: FAIL

Greater Together…. Sure to be a winner!

UltimateBob on October 25, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I know definitively of two soon-to-be 18 year old votes Zero WON’T be getting.
FREEDOM!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM

That is encouraging. Thank you, and congratulations.

GaltBlvnAtty on October 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Dittos.

listens2glenn on October 25, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Yeah, he needs to go after those not out there either as a producer or trying to find work. The only ones he can con into believing him, at this point.

michaelo on October 25, 2011 at 2:09 PM

“The unemployment rate for 20- to 24-year-olds is 14.7%, and for 18- to 19-year-olds a staggering 23.3%. Growing numbers of recent college graduates have moved back to live with their parents.”

Reality usually is a little different from a classroom…

Seven Percent Solution on October 25, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Girl you know it’s true, (look left)
uh uh uh, I love you. (look right, thumb pinch)
Yes you know it’s true, (look left, gaze up)
uh uh uh, I love you. (scowl at SCOTUS)

BobMbx on October 25, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Heh. That’s the choreography of Obama’s body language in every speech he has ever made.

SlaveDog on October 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM

I have 7 children, all of age. Two are in the military. I also have a son in law and a daughter in law. I will have a second son in law come January, two days before his new wife will be sent to Camp Leatherneck in Afghanistan. Like her, he is a US Marine.

You won’t find a single vote for Obama anywhere in that group.

hachiban on October 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM

hachiban on October 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Like Little Twerp: Thank you, and congratulations, and thanks to your family members for their service.

GaltBlvnAtty on October 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM

My 20-year-old son is attending college in FLORIDA. I’ll strongly encourage him to register to vote there in ’12–it will count more than my vote in CT !

Steve Z on October 25, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Girl you know it’s true, (look left)
uh uh uh, I love you. (look right, thumb pinch)
Yes you know it’s true, (look left, gaze up)
uh uh uh, I love you. (scowl at SCOTUS)

BobMbx on October 25, 2011 at 2:05 PM

You forgot the (middle finger cheek scratch)

Ditkaca on October 25, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Hope and Change: FAIL
We are the ones we’ve been waiting for: FAIL
Attack Watch: FAIL
#wecantwait: FAIL

Greater Together…. Sure to be a winner!

UltimateBob on October 25, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Yeah, but you forgot his successes like the incomparable, “Win The Future.”

Abby Adams on October 25, 2011 at 2:22 PM

No, I think he still has his garden hoe.

BobMbx on October 25, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Since when did Barry O ever do real work?

But ACORN is good at guardin’ ho’s.

Steve Z on October 25, 2011 at 2:23 PM

The thrill is gone Obama, thats not going to work. The only places this strategy will work is in NY and other far left states your going to win anyway.

nswider on October 25, 2011 at 2:30 PM

A year out of college with a good job, my daughter just heard that in a month she will be laid off because her employer’s clients are hunkering down and they are cutting spending due to uncertainty about the economy. So, her employer is downsizing and it is last in, first out.

She is a conservative, but this will guarantee she’ll be a lifelong conservative. Losing your job and having to move back home will do that for you.

in_awe on October 25, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Coming soon: forgiving student loan debt?

PattyJ on October 25, 2011 at 2:35 PM

My son will be able to vote in both primary and general elections, and while I taught him good conservative values, he’s pushing Ron Paul to his like aged friends, yes he is a Ronulan, at least in the primaries where he can have some say. Inm the general he’ll vote Right so it’s cool by me,
Bob

Bobnormal on October 25, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Obama’s getting desperate, he knows he’s going down to an historic, unprecedented, and crushing defeat. He’s developing a Hitler-ish (no, I am not comparing him to Hitler) bunker mentality already, believing he can rally the hard core of his rapidly waning Obamajugend around him to defeat the enemies that are closing in on him from all sides.

Trafalgar on October 25, 2011 at 2:41 PM

In the General, /sp

Bobnormal on October 25, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Don’t like Obama but good strategy. We got candidates always talking about Reagan, but the target here don’t know no Reagan. Take Gingrich for example: the young would have not a clue when it comes to his allusions and references….Of course our liberal ‘educators’ ensured it would be this way.

Sherman1864 on October 25, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Same thing with my son…by 24 days.

BobMbx on October 25, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I was wondering if the kid walked around in a daze, saying “Mmmmm mmmmm mmmmmm Barack Hussein Obama” all the time if ACORN might manage to get him registered.

Not sure he’s a good enough actor to pull it off, however.

CJ on October 25, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Whoa, whoa, WHOA! ‘Obama CAMPAIGN Taargets….’?! SURELY you must be mistaken because Obama has already said he is NOT ‘campaigning’ right now because that would be illegal for a President to do on the Tax Payers’ dime! Despite Joe Biden claiming that is exactly what his boss is doing right now, Obama said he is only on tour to promote his Jobs Bill and slamming the GOP for not letting it to go forward (despite it being Harry Reid who refuses to allow it to come up for a vote)! Are you trying to insinuate that Obama would LIE and do whatever he wants, Constitution and the law be d@mned?! Say it ain’t so!

easyt65 on October 25, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Good thing i’ll be 30 next year :P

thebrokenrattle on October 25, 2011 at 2:56 PM

No, I think he still has his garden hoe.

BobMbx on October 25, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I see what you did there. :-)

Mary in LA on October 25, 2011 at 3:37 PM

So he’s going for the zombie vote.

Rational Thought on October 25, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Those that can, do. Those that cannot vote Democrat. /sarc

DannoJyd on October 25, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Are 18-29 year-olds all that he has left?

SlaveDog on October 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Correction: 18-29 year old hipsters with a trust fund are all he has left. I fit in this age group and I have ZERO friends that plan on voting for him. If any are, they’re certainly keeping their mouths shut. He is not too popular around here and I live in a pretty Democrat-friendly place (Duluth).

Nelsen on October 25, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Nelsen on October 25, 2011 at 4:23 PM

That’s a breath of fresh air! :-)

Way too many of my friends (we’re in our mid-to-late 40s, which I think makes us “tweeners”) are still in the tank for the Won. And they think it’s just fine and dandy to babble about it all over Facebook. If I didn’t keep my mouth shut, I wouldn’t have any friends left. :-P

Mary in LA on October 25, 2011 at 4:36 PM

My formerly-borderline liberal 18 year old has turned much more conservative from watching the embarrassing antics of the OWS-ers. Her poli sci professor has encouraged her classmates to go downtown and join them, but they want nothing to do with that smelly bunch of moochers.

LASue on October 25, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I know definitively of two soon-to-be 18 year old votes Zero WON’T be getting.
FREEDOM!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM

That is encouraging. Thank you, and congratulations.

GaltBlvnAtty on October 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Dittos.

listens2glenn on October 25, 2011 at 2:07 PM

You’re welcome-but I can only take credit for one of them.
One is my son-the other is my second oldest nephew..
The oldest nephew-turned 18 on Saturday-is attending school in the Boston-area and is very much like his uber-lefty mother.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 25, 2011 at 6:46 PM

My 3 ‘Millenials’ couldn’t stand Obama the first time around and like him even less now. Not all young people are stupid and gullible. My 18-year-old is very excited to vote in his first election, local this year and national next. He and my eldest are quite politically aware, my daughter is less interested but still solidly Libertarian.

Common Sense on October 25, 2011 at 8:28 PM

The youth vote has gone to Ron Paul.

RightXBrigade on October 26, 2011 at 2:43 AM