Candidate Republican voters would most like to have dinner with? Herman Cain, of course

posted at 6:48 pm on October 25, 2011 by Allahpundit

I wonder which publication will be the first to try to spin this counterintuitively as proof of conservative racism. The “guess who’s coming to dinner” jokes are already flying on Twitter so the headline comes ready-made. Don’t let us down, New York Times.

According to the Clarus poll released Tuesday, 29% of self-described registered Republicans say they would like to dine with Cain, the businessman, former Godfather’s Pizza CEO and radio talk show host, followed by former House Speaker Newt Gingrich at 22%, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney at 17% and all the other candidates in single digits.

“This result is a good indication of Cain’s personal likeability,” said Ron Faucheux, president and chief analyst of Clarus Research Group. “Although it may just be an indication that Americans like pizza.”

Newt in second? Really? He’d make dinner interesting, but who wants to be lectured on Alvin Toffler while you’re trying to choke down a steak? I would have guessed that Perry, with his own easy charm, would nail down second place easily. The fact that he trails Romney in a basic test of personal likability feels … ominous. One would think that “authentic” candidates have a natural advantage in this metric; either that’s not the case or else Perry’s left a very different impression on voters than he meant to.

Over at Gallup, Cain’s unsurprisingly leads the field with a favorable rating of 74/16. Romney trails by eight and Perry by 14. And that’s not all:

No contest — and, significantly, those numbers come as Cain has raised his name recognition to 78 percent, which is roughly on par with Romney and Perry. His huge favorables aren’t, in other words, a product of people not knowing who he is and giving him the benefit of the doubt. They know him now and they still like him, a lot, which makes Perry’s task of winning back the voters he lost to Cain potentially much harder than people assume. It’s easy to dump a guy you’re backing as a “none of the above” option when you see someone more appealing come along, but Cain isn’t really a “none of the above” option anymore. How do you dislodge support from a candidate who’s +58 in net favorables without going very, very negative?

Here’s Cain on the Michael Berry Show earlier today talking about the political ad heard ’round the world. Do note, incidentally, that not only did Gingrich finish second to Cain in the dinner poll, he’s now third (behind Romney and ahead of Perry) in Gallup’s measure of favorable ratings. We might be on the brink of a Newt bubble after all.

Comments

Yep, dinner and then a Marlboro.

carbon_footprint on October 25, 2011 at 6:51 PM

printer-friendly The only surprise in this poll is that he didn’t win it by 50 points. If the campaign was a contest of pure charm, the rest of the field would have already packed up and gone home.

I’m beginning to believe the point that some other commenters have made that Cain is teflon, so this may be beside the point, but can you imagine what his numbers would be like if, in addition to being the most likeable guy in the field, he answered questions like Newt? He would be at 80% and we’d be looking at a 50 state landslide.

Kataklysmic on October 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I don’t want to eat dinner with a guy who thinks I’m heartless. Even if he’s still my first pick.

JeffWeimer on October 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM

The only people who “thinks” that Rick Perry is charming are the Perryfools.

Falz on October 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Who wouldn’t want to eat with Cain, with his experience with pizza. Although I’m sure I would be eating well with Christie too.

redeye on October 25, 2011 at 6:54 PM

printer-friendly
Kataklysmic on October 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM

oops

Kataklysmic on October 25, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Kataklysmic on October 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM

If that were true, we would be asking why Reagan couldn’t be more like Cain.

redeye on October 25, 2011 at 6:54 PM

And no pizza. But if it’s Italian, it better be Babbo’s.

SlaveDog on October 25, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Kataklysmic on October 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM

If we could only wish….

JeffWeimer on October 25, 2011 at 6:55 PM

He might be a phony but people in Mitts tax bracket eat well. I wonder if he would like me enough to let me finish eating…

IlikedAUH2O on October 25, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I concur. Cain would be the most interesting to chat with. Bachmann or Mitt would give me a headache.

JetBoy on October 25, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Kinda bothersome. I thought retail politicking was his strong suit. From the clips I’ve seen, he appears very much at ease in informal settings, but, the debates seem to have branded him a bit.

a capella on October 25, 2011 at 6:57 PM

If that were true, we would be asking why Reagan couldn’t be more like Cain.

redeye on October 25, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I know, I know. I’m trying to do things to make myself feel better about this field such as playing Dr. Frankenstein with the various candidates attributes. It distracts me from the sinking feeling that we might be screwed.

Kataklysmic on October 25, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Domino’s/Godfather 2012

Falz on October 25, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Well, duh, you can’t have dinner with Mitt. He keeps flip-flopping between the soup and the salad.

Good Solid B-Plus on October 25, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I like Perry, but he still gives off the politician vibe and I don’t want to have dinner with a politician.

One of the great things Cain has going for him is that he is incredibly likable and doesn’t give off the slickster vibe like the rest of the candidates.

BakerAllie on October 25, 2011 at 6:58 PM

How about Romney as the candidate most likely to be oily enough to provide sufficient 10w-30 for an oil and filter change for your car.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 25, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Teflon.

Tef-lon.

KingGold on October 25, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Love the guy. GO HERMAN. (For the record – I liked HC before it was cool to like him. I went to see him speak on 7/4/11 in Philly, gave him a pat on the back as he was getting into his SUV). He’s all black too. Not half-cracka like the Community Organizer.

sbvft contributor on October 25, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Cain: “Why did Mark Block do that campaign?”

Cain meant to say “why did Mark Block do that ad?”. Does anybody else notice how often Cain misspeaks? I’m not trying to be petty, but he often speaks before he thinks. Just strikes me as odd.

nickj116 on October 25, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Cain is just so damned likable. He definitely has the field beat on this issue.

carbon_footprint on October 25, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Nope. Would rather go to The Salt Lick with Gov. Perry.

publiuspen on October 25, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Nope. Would rather go to The Salt Lick with Gov. Perry.

publiuspen on October 25, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Not bad, I am a Texas Land & Cattle fan myself. Great T-bone served with baked squash, baked potato (loaded) and an ice-cold, wedge salad.

carbon_footprint on October 25, 2011 at 7:05 PM

He didn’t expect the reaction to the ad? Hmmm, I was hoping to hear him say he did it on purpose as part of a grand subliminal genius plan like some of the posters here stated. Oh well. Yes, I think he’d be fun to have dinner with, you could definitely have some laughs with him.

kg598301 on October 25, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Guess who’s coming to dinner. /

(Someone had to say it.)

TXUS on October 25, 2011 at 7:06 PM

but Cain isn’t really a “none of the above” option anymore.

Works for me.

Weight of Glory on October 25, 2011 at 7:07 PM

“If you dine with me, we’ll have steak. No, lobster!” — Mitt Romney

Maxpower on October 25, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Karl Rove is not going to like this.

Knucklehead on October 25, 2011 at 7:08 PM

As long as I make the Pizza then OK…Cause his stuff really sucks, and yes I did try it when he was CEO, sucked then too.

Political Chef on October 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I’d say Perry. It’d be fun to have the upper hand when the conversation turned towards politics. Save a pretzel for the gas jets.

jhffmn on October 25, 2011 at 7:10 PM

But if we dined with Cain at a Massachusetts sea food restaurant, who knows what we’d get?

radjah shelduck on October 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Actually, I’d want most to have dinner with Newt because I’m hoping to finish my BA in history and he has a Ph.D in the same major.
Chatting about history is fun.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 25, 2011 at 7:13 PM

I don’t know what people see in the guy. He’s not especially charming, humorous or attractive. I wouldn’t bother to have dinner with him at all.

promachus on October 25, 2011 at 7:13 PM

carbon_footprint on October 25, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I’ve been to TL&C once since we moved here. I ordered fish tacos. They were quite tasty.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 25, 2011 at 7:14 PM

The only people who “thinks” that Rick Perry is charming are the Perryfools.

Falz on October 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I’d pick Cain first but I think Perry is very charming. Heck, put a long coat duster on almost any cowboy (even New Jersey cowboys) and I swoon…

Fallon on October 25, 2011 at 7:15 PM

“How do you dislodge support from a candidate who’s +58 in net favorables without going very, very negative?”

Simple…

… You attack Obowma 24/7/365.

Seven Percent Solution on October 25, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Fallon on October 25, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I wouldn’t want to have dinner with Perry because due to my autistic awkwardness in social situations I wouldn’t know what to say.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 25, 2011 at 7:18 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 25, 2011 at 7:14 PM

You should try their steak next. I would be interested on how a Chicago (Meat Town) liked a Texas steakhouse.

carbon_footprint on October 25, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Chatting about history is fun.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 25, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Great point. And he is very knowledgeable about the Civil War.

carbon_footprint on October 25, 2011 at 7:20 PM

carbon_footprint on October 25, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I’d tell Mittens to dress up and take him to Traildust… lol.

Fallon on October 25, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Poor Les Huntsman. Nobody wants to break bread with him.

John the Libertarian on October 25, 2011 at 7:20 PM

I’d chow down with Newt…

… not only because I like the History Channel, but he is asking for suggestions on his web site for ideas for his Executive Orders he will sign, five minutes after he is sworn in to undo Obowma’s nightmare.

Get a few cocktails in me…

… and I bet I could come up with some winners.

Seven Percent Solution on October 25, 2011 at 7:21 PM

carbon_footprint on October 25, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I’d tell Mittens to dress up and take him to Traildust… lol.

Fallon on October 25, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Lol! He would be like a fish out of water. But I’m sure he would say: “Damn, I love me some nice, rare beef!” while spitting the chewed meat into a napkin when you are distracted.

carbon_footprint on October 25, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Great point. And he is very knowledgeable about the Civil War.

carbon_footprint on October 25, 2011 at 7:20 PM

My mother has several of his books. When my mother dies-she’s the same age as Newt-me and my brother-the-dopehead arr expected to sneak into Gettysburg National Park/Battlefield and scatter their ashes. My late father made that request for both of them-and someday we will damn well honor it.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 25, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Who would have one if the meal had to be corn dogs?

xblade on October 25, 2011 at 7:26 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 25, 2011 at 7:24 PM

That is a cool idea.

carbon_footprint on October 25, 2011 at 7:27 PM

One should be won. Duh.

xblade on October 25, 2011 at 7:27 PM

The question about dinner is intersting. My brother-in-law asked me the same question acouple of months back. He was floored when I said I would love to have Mr Cain over for dinner.

ColdWarrior57 on October 25, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I’d pick Sarah first (oops, not running), then Rick.
Cain would be third.

listens2glenn on October 25, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Yep, dinner and then a Marlboro.

carbon_footprint on October 25, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Put on yer big boy britches. Lucky Strike non-filter.

katy the mean old lady on October 25, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Yes, I absolutely love Herman Cain. He is one of us, and he speaks for us. He’s a quick study, and I’m hoping he masters this political campaigning bullsh*t in the next few weeks.

petefrt on October 25, 2011 at 7:45 PM

. . . . . . . I’m sure I would be eating well with Christie too.

redeye on October 25, 2011 at 6:54 PM

: )

listens2glenn on October 25, 2011 at 7:48 PM

JeffWeimer on October 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM

That’s why I try to avoind dinner with some of the former, ex-Mr. KTMOL crowd.

katy the mean old lady on October 25, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Who would have one if the meal had to be corn dogs?

xblade on October 25, 2011 at 7:26 PM

SARAH!

Oops, did it again. Not running . . . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on October 25, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Yep, dinner and then a Marlboro.

carbon_footprint on October 25, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Put on yer big boy britches. Lucky Strike non-filter.

katy the mean old lady on October 25, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Funny, when I smoked (24 years ago), Lucky Strike and Pall Mall non-filters were my favorites.

carbon_footprint on October 25, 2011 at 7:51 PM

The only people who “thinks” that Rick Perry is charming are the Perryfools.

Falz on October 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Not really. I did my time with southern frat boys. Charm? Oh yeah! Always candy, flowers, and winning Mom over. Dad was a leetle bit harder sell.

katy the mean old lady on October 25, 2011 at 7:52 PM

carbon_footprint on October 25, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Never smoked a filter, never will. Of course Luckies are about bucks a carton here so I smoke an off brand.

Sobranies!
Gitanes!

katy the mean old lady on October 25, 2011 at 7:56 PM

That’s why I try to avoind dinner with some of the former, ex-Mr. KTMOL crowd.

katy the mean old lady on October 25, 2011 at 7:49 PM

KTMOL crowd? I didn’t think I was that old, but what does that mean?

JeffWeimer on October 25, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Punchy/Piggy claiming Cain is a clear outlier and outliers should be ignored in any poll in 3…2…1…

BKennedy on October 25, 2011 at 8:06 PM

promachus on October 25, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Who in the hell would want to have dinner with you?

Knucklehead on October 25, 2011 at 8:12 PM

carbon_footprint on October 25, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Ha, funny you’d say that. Pall Mall unfiltered were my favorites too, before I quit years ago. My uncle smoked Camels. He died at age 92, Damn those Camels.

I believe smoking is unhealthy. But I believe the anti-smoking Nazis are even more unhealthy.

petefrt on October 25, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Perry for me and my family, although my 18-year-old son likes Cain a lot, just not as a candidate.

I’m guessing Perry would have a lot of great stories to tell about farming, being a pilot in the Air Force, and his days as a legislator, ag commissioner, and governor.

I read his Parade interview today. It’s also interesting that he considers Marcus Luttrell (Lone Survivor) his adopted son.

Herman Cain may be a nice guy, but that doesn’t make him experienced enough for POTUS.

Common Sense on October 25, 2011 at 8:16 PM

KTMOL crowd? I didn’t think I was that old, but what does that mean?

JeffWeimer on October 25, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Former gentleman callers of mean young ladies. I was quite ” fast” in my day. Now they are old and so am I. Now they need nurses. I am not.

katy the mean old lady on October 25, 2011 at 8:32 PM

We might be on the brink of a Newt bubble after all.

Yay!

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Cain is a genuine man who honors his company by listening to them and affirming them even when he disagrees with them and tells them why.

That is a special skill that has not been seen in the corridors of power since Dwight D. Eisenhower brought it over with him from the ego nest of SHAEF that he handled so well in WWII.

It requires a powerful man with the final say that honors the men surrounding him. Herman may have picked up that trait from his father’s stories of the personal traits of an extremely powerful man that he drove around for 20 years.

Bob Woodruff had that trait. Woodruff was one of the 7 most powerful men in American economic life from 1935 to 1960.

jimw on October 25, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Have to buck the trend here. Newt looks to me like he’d be the most fun to have dinner with.

Now, if we’re talking “go to a ballgame with,” I’d put Cain and Perry about on a par, and above the rest.

“Go shopping with?” Du-uh. Michelle.

“Be stuck in a foxhole with?” Any of them would be better than Obama. He(ck), Hamid Karzai would be better than Obama.

J.E. Dyer on October 25, 2011 at 9:03 PM

J.E. Dyer on October 25, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Hamid Karzai probably has the distinct advantage of technically being able to cover you were he not trying to shoot you in the back.

BKennedy on October 25, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I smoked for many years and I smoke once in a while , while visiting friends on a vacation for a weekend.

This is ad is not about cigarettes . it’s about how Block (and Cain) are attempting to present a tough guy image and it is completely contrary to how Cain generally presents himself as a nice guy… really wtf?

I LIKE NICE GUY to WIN 2012.

Block reminds me of a guy I’d punch out if he flirted with my girlfriend in a bar or something..

BAM! enough said.

cigs don’t make you tough

HONOR and a Model for our kids make you tough and shiny.. new campaign manager please..

9- 9 -9

amend2 on October 25, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I am no fan of Herman Cain for President, but on this question I agree 100%. No one else in the race that I would rather meet and talk to. If Romney were to have a beer? Then it would be Romney. I can’t figure him out at all.

Jaibones on October 25, 2011 at 10:51 PM

It would be interesting to ask Karl Rove to rate the candidates, and compare the result with this one!!

(I predict a perfect inverse relationship)

landlines on October 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM