Video: Can Obama run as a foreign policy/wartime President in 2012?

posted at 8:45 pm on October 24, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier today, before I had to run out to the dentist for some follow-up work and skip my normal show, I appeared on Fox News’ web program with host Lauren Green, discussing two topics in our interview. The first is whether Barack Obama can make an argument for re-election as a foreign policy/wartime President, as Obama has had some significant successes against terrorist networks during his first term. Green started off the interview by saying that I sounded more like a Democrat in praising Obama’s successes in this arena, but I explain that Obama’s successes came from approaching the war more like a Republican — and that there was a lot more in his foreign policy that will hurt him than help, especially when it comes to Israel:

In the rest of the video, we talk about Herman Cain’s presidential campaign and whether he can contend all the way through to the primaries. I explain why I think Cain will make it to Iowa, and could win it. That video hasn’t yet been published at Fox News, but I’ll add it to this post when it goes up. Lauren was a terrific interviewer in this segment, and I hope to get more opportunities to chat with her. Minnesotans have to stick together, after all.

Comments

Speaking of Obama,he too busy!
===============================

@markknoller
Pres. Obama now at campaign fundraiser hosted by movie producer James Lassiter, whose films include Hitch, Hancock, I Am Legend, I Robot.
Story data:

3 Min ago
==========

canopfor on October 24, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Obama: he made the world safer …for chronic 9 % unemployment.

profitsbeard on October 24, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Capt’n Ed,a Democrat….noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
(snark).

canopfor on October 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Where do I get that wallpaper Ed?
I think it would look good in my bunker right behind me as I type.

Electrongod on October 24, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Not sure how much the terrorist angle will help Obama. He is clearly going to flog it endlessly and so will his Internet flunkies, but it will be an uphill battle if the economy doesn’t turn around.

If the economy does have an upsurge (or a large infusion of cash, nudge, nudge, wink, wink) around election time then he might pull it off. Given the weakness of the GOP candidates this is more likely than many would be comfortable believing.

sharrukin on October 24, 2011 at 9:05 PM

This guy agrees with you:

predator on October 24, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Lauren Green is a truly beautiful classy lady!

Connie on October 24, 2011 at 9:07 PM

O.T.: Rick Perry on his Tax Plan in tomorrow’s Wall Street Journal.

Check it out, all you Perry haters.

Now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

SlaveDog on October 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Electrongod on October 24, 2011 at 9:01 PM

“Dear Penthouse,

I never thought this could happen to me, especially not in my bunker…”

NotCoach on October 24, 2011 at 9:17 PM

This guy agrees with you:

predator on October 24, 2011 at 9:05 PM

predator:I had to laugh,when Lauren Green said that!:)

canopfor on October 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM

NotCoach on October 24, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Now that’s funny.

Electrongod on October 24, 2011 at 9:28 PM

In the long run, I don’t think Libya will help him. The U.S. had no real national security interest in Libya. It wasn’t a clear and present danger to us. And in humanitarian terms, Obama went well past the no-fly zone he told us would only last for a week.

Gaddafi’s execution appears to be a particularly brutal one, and that’s just not something that Americans are used seeing let alone having any kind of involvement in. Also, if Islamic tyranny is what becomes of “Arab Spring” rather than secular democracy, then Obama’s been doing much worse than “spreading mockracy” as liberals were wont to accuse Bush.

Four years ago, we were concerned with military conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Now, the entire Middle East is at risk of Islamic militancy and we have no clue who’s in charge, what kind of weapons they have, or where they’ll turn up.

Murf76 on October 24, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Mr. Morrissey is becoming quite the television celebrity. Congratulations, good job.

Cindy Munford on October 24, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Barack Obama’s four foreign policy principles:
1) More Shariah.
2) More Shariah.
3) More Shariah.
4) More Shariah.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 24, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Obama’s successes came from approaching the war more like a Republican

We are all Wilsonian interventionists now. /Nixon

Rae on October 24, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Well, PBHO certainly can’t run on his economic success…

Khun Joe on October 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM

“Let’s not kid around here. When it comes to this war on terror, right, Bush and Cheney were weenies. They talked up and they didn’t do crap. Obama is the killer.”

Far Left Talk Show Host Bill “Lovenstein Institute” Press

Del Dolemonte on October 24, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Obama; the best food stamp president ever.

Go Newt!

lorien1973 on October 25, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Results of the Arab Spring aren’t looking so hot – Tunisia and Libya going islamist, Egypt in doubt, Syria in doubt, Iraq in peril.

A few assassinations do not a successful foreign policy record make.

Adjoran on October 25, 2011 at 4:40 AM

And that helps him with Democrat voters?

Herb on October 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Obama’s successes came from approaching the war more like a Republican

He’s embraced every other failed policy of the past. Why not perpetual Islamic theocracy-building wars too?

Under your desks, boys and girls! Incoming Fred bomb!:

America bumbles about the world like a blind man, and doesn’t know it. Its contempt for everywhere else, its inability to conceive that maybe other peoples and places don’t want to be like America, leads to disaster after disaster. Washington was going to invade Iraq, which with gratitude would go all democratic and be like Massachusetts, and the other Arab nations would follow suit, and so we would remake the Arab world according to Fox News.

Americans believe this stuff. There is probably no one in France, and here I include asylums, drains, and morgues, who could be so narcissistically stupid.
[...]
In ten years the Pentagon can’t beat a few tens of thousands of peasants armed with AKs. Nobody else’s army could do it either. Thing is, everybody else has figured out that such wars don’t work too well. Not us.

Rae on October 25, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Rae on October 25, 2011 at 2:47 PM

You armchair generals are amazing. You seem to have the aptitude to know what works and doesn’t work in a war but can’t ever seem to get in a position to enact your plan.

Rae, just tell me. You’ve served in a war zone right? Please tell me yes, because someone who throws out the insults to the Armed Forces like you do without having even been there would be a major bit of irony. Which was it, Iraq or Afghanistan you served and formed your assessment?

hawkdriver on October 25, 2011 at 5:33 PM

hawkdriver, please explain to me how spending decades and trillions “building” Islamic theocracies all over the ME and Africa is in our nation’s interest.

You might find that request presumptuous, since I haven’t served, but it is my money, my nation’s security, and my fellow Americans’ lives, minds and limbs being pi$$ed away on the bifactional ruling party’s grand Wilsonian plan to “spread democracy.”

Rae on October 25, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Rae on October 25, 2011 at 9:09 PM

First off. Your money? It’s my money too. We’re all paying. And some of us with the lives of our friends.

But really, it’s always the way you Ron Paul supporters drag the debate down to a cartoon level that puts me over the top. “Tens of thousands with AKs”? You’re clueless.

How about the most sophisticated shoulder fired IR missiles? How about PKM, DShK, and dual barrel 23mm vehicle transported AAA weapons? How about the RPG, HME and advanced shaped mines and a sophisticated cadre of leaders supported by Iran and other Middle Eastern Powers? How about heavy mortars and rockets. How about an extensive commo plan using illegal cell phone towers that get build as fast as we can destroy them? We were dealing with a more formitable opposing force than yous can imagine.

Tens of thousands with AKs? Dude, we’ve “killed” ten times that many at least. How about you stick to things you know?

hawkdriver on October 25, 2011 at 10:03 PM