New Herman Cain ad: The smoking man

posted at 9:22 pm on October 24, 2011 by Allahpundit

Lots of buzz about this among political junkies on Twitter tonight, mostly of the so-bad-it’s-good variety. Is the image of this guy taking a soothing drag on camera after 40 seconds of ad-tastic exertion really that strange and transgressive? Cain’s campaign is all about unapologetic populist authenticity, and there’s nothing more unapologetically, authentically populist than defiantly lighting one up when the mood strikes, politesse be damned. As the man says, “We’ve run a campaign like nobody’s ever seen.” If you’ve got a problem with casual smoking during presidential spots, well, that only proves what an uptight establishment RINO you really are.

In the next spot, Block should have a smoke in one hand and a can of Schlitz in the other. And as the camera pulls back, there’s Cain next to him, eating a slice of Godfather’s and giving a big thumbs-up.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

What the heck happened to hot air? Must be lonely up on your pedestals for a lot of you. This country is becoming way too pc and has zero sense of humor. We all need to lighten up. It was amusing, move on.

gator70 on October 25, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Jason, you should really remove your head from Herman’s sphincter.

bigred on October 25, 2011 at 1:00 AM

And the end shot of just Cain is too long, he doesn’t have good timing; it makes him look really conceited that the camera stays on his face for so long (time that could’ve been used talking about his policy and plans).

Empty suit.

Aslans Girl on October 25, 2011 at 1:00 AM

LOL

Jason Coleman on October 25, 2011 at 1:00 AM

More proof that Palin is just days away from announcing her candidacy.

csdeven on October 25, 2011 at 12:06 AM

I’m going to bed in a better mood after that.

: )

listens2glenn on October 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM

I liked it because as soon as I saw it, I knew people would lose their mud over it. I was right.

Jason Coleman on October 25, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Yes, I came very close to losing my mud laughing hysterically.

Lol. Both of today’s preceeding Perry threads combined don’t have as much attention as this “bad” Cain ad. Despite those threads being actually more important than this one.

Looks like it’s doing its job.

Jason Coleman on October 25, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Bad publicity isn’t good publicity in the wonderful world of American politics. Keep reaching for that rainbow though, Jason.

Of course campaign ads should cost at least tens of thousands of dollars and be focus grouped to death. Of course they should have complex scores and show all they key constituency groups represented.

Jason Coleman on October 25, 2011 at 12:52 AM

No, a simple ad discussing Herman Cain, his life, and his accomplishments would suffice. Perhaps some old pictures from Cain’s childhood or a picture of his college graduation. Something serious would have helped him tremendously, but he took the low road. :-(

AND ABOVE ALL don’t DARE show someone smoking a cigarette outdoors.

Smoking is no longer in vogue. Sorry. :-(

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM

gator70 on October 25, 2011 at 1:00 AM

That’s what Hilary thought about Americans when they didn’t laugh at her joke about Gaddfy dying. Sometimes it isn’t that people need to get a “sense of humor”, sometimes the joke’s just rotten.

Aslans Girl on October 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Smoking is no longer in vogue. Sorry. :-(

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM

I’m no smoking-fascist. But somewhere amongst the rules of successful political video has got to be: “Protagonists don’t smoke on camera.”

JohnGalt23 on October 25, 2011 at 1:12 AM

It was amusing, move on.

gator70 on October 25, 2011 at 1:00 AM

So was watching Obama plead with the audience to applaud.

Doesn’t mean it was good politics…

JohnGalt23 on October 25, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Whoever thought this ad was good was smoking something and it wasn’t a cigarette.

Aslans Girl on October 25, 2011 at 1:15 AM

LOL

Jason Coleman on October 25, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Honestly, Jason, I don’t find all this ridiculous and ad hominem Cain bashing by some here funny at all. It discredits them to me. I can understand someone not wanting to vote for him because they think he isn’t ready or don’t like when he misspeaks. But those who criticize every single thing he does, can’t take a joke and who call him stupid or a liar have absolutely no credibility to me.

I read someone the other day who says they are trying to learn to read posts from the bottom up, so they can just skip some people. I find myself doing that more and more.

Disgusting.

Good night. I can’t read this nonsense anymore.

Elisa on October 25, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Is Cain trolling the GOP or is this for reals?

jhffmn on October 24, 2011 at 11:07 PM

I think the GOP’s been “punk’d”… where’s Ashton Kutcher with his candid camera?

Aslans Girl on October 25, 2011 at 1:18 AM

I need to do one were I put a big ol’ dig of snuff in my lip at the end.

esnap on October 25, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Hmmm, mebbe Randy White is available to take off on his old skoal commercial.

I thot it was great on many levels: tweaking PC, guaranteed to get a rise out of smoke prohibitionista, the 80′s vibe (gee, who was presidenting that era?). Funny thing was right after the last debate, there was a camera behind the stage and Cain was talking to someone near his lectern and I thot a saw smoke rising from his hand. I was taken aback as in ‘wow, Cain just lit up a cig. ‘ if my eyes were to be believed, then bully for him being his own man and don’t giving a tinker’s damn what anyone might think. Yet for some reason, he just didn’t seem to be a smoker, even tho I saw smoke a couple more times rising from his hands. Finally, there was another shot of him from the audience side that showed a hot cup of coffee.

Bottomline, after seeing the fainting spells here, I’m reminded of Abe Lincoln concerning a certain General that liked to drink hard. His response was, to paraphrase, “at least he can fight–send him a case from me”.

The biggest issue is our economy and if so-called D-moviesque video ads (thinking the great Tiffany sci-fi flicks) get people all worked up, then let me send a carton of filterless Lucky Strikes to Cain/Block. ;)

I do hope that for their sake and integrity, those offended at the cig in the ad, are consistently offended at any dipiction of smoking in any TV or movie. Otherwise, it just might be hypocritical to be offended by Cain, but not by John Wayne, Reagan, Truman or any other star that smoked. It’s not like the oval office is sacred ground that must remain vice free. Get a grip, folks.

AH_C on October 25, 2011 at 1:20 AM

So Cain is aiming for Obama’s vote, too?

Go for it, Hermanator!

profitsbeard on October 25, 2011 at 1:20 AM

Herman Cain is a less polished Christine O’Donnell. That should tell you something. If I were Cain, I would cancel the upcoming debate with Newt.

Punchenko on October 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Yeah because all Newt has done is tear down every other candidate…

He has been the unifier the one that always turns the debate toward the fact that anybody on stage is a better candidate than Obama so he is going to slice and dice Herman CAin? Hell he could have done that at any time to any candidate. I’ll quote someone that thinks sliughtly out of the box.

Newt is no dummy…he is not going to win the nomination IMO….but him and Herman seem to be close in some way.

They did Meet the Press together, when was the last time something like that happened?

They both want to fix things along similar lines….Cain has idea’s and dreams and Newt knows how to do it.

I swear this will be a 3 hour free commercial for a Cain/Newt ticket.

I said it a few weeks ago and I think this is just another play into it.

Better hope Newt decides to attack Herman Cain, if he doesn’t and the rest of the field has decided to skip the debate? Christine O’Donnell is running for president.

Theworldisnotenough on October 25, 2011 at 1:20 AM

According to YouTube:

this video only has 306 hits.

That is the same number displayed when I first viewed it several hours ago.\

HOWEVER, it shows the video has received 346 “likes” and 1,078 “dislike.”

The Leftists running Google/Youtube do this number/hit manipulation CONSTANTLY.

“By any means necessary” is their motto, and they don’t believe in right or wrong, so intentionally skewing the numbers is morally fine with them. REPULSIVE.

love the ad.

wordwarp on October 25, 2011 at 1:22 AM

Don’t sweat it Elisa.

I agree with your comments in most cases, but not in this particular thread. This ad is doing exactly what it was intended to do. It’s a jab in the eye to Cain’s detractors and a bit of inside baseball to his supporters.

No press is bad press. Especially if your temporary bad press is sucking the wind out of the sails your opponent just set.

As far as the baseless ad hominem against Cain or any candidate, just use them as markers to show you who is being intellectually dishonest in the discussion.

Jason Coleman on October 25, 2011 at 1:27 AM

wordwarp on October 25, 2011 at 1:22 AM

It’s a conspiracy!

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Jason Coleman on October 25, 2011 at 1:27 AM

*Sigh*

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Wordwrap.

Its common for the counter to break when a vid has a big influx of views. It will accurately display the number of times the video was served to unique viewers after a few days and volume drops off. When volume gets heavy the page becomes “STATIC” as a frame around the video, serving everyone the same copy of the page/frame rather than generating a new page for each viewer.

It’s just a technique to reduce server load. It allows their servers to spend their cycles streaming the video itself rather than wasting time on the less important area around the video

Jason Coleman on October 25, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Jason Coleman on October 25, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Right, because this thread didn’t have dozens of posts about Perry’s tax plan sprinkled throughout.

Aslans Girl on October 25, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Aslans Girl on October 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM

I think you’ve lost your mind. Herman Cain’s ad versus the Secretary of State gloating and acting unprofessional? Seriously??

I know you’re desperate for Perry to do well, but this really isn’t the way to do it. Why don’t you spend your time showing us why Perry’s the better candidate rather than ankle biting Cain?

Aslans Girl on October 25, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Aslans Girl on October 25, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Aslans Girl on October 25, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Three posts before this one and not one of them replying to anything, but you being unnecessarily nasty about Cain. Get some perspective. You’re beclowning yourself.

kim roy on October 25, 2011 at 2:07 AM

Aslans Girl on October 25, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Well, AG, I often point out that there is a big difference between a blog “post” and a blog “comment”. We’ll have to wait and see what the HA spin is on the Perry handler’s flat-tax offering.
I’m just guessing, given HA management’s position, that there will be little – if any – deviation from approval of this Perry camp’s Hail Mary/2 minute warning pass. However, we shall see if my guess is correct or no.

whatcat on October 25, 2011 at 2:07 AM

At least he didn’t make any gaffs, which shows how little he has to prove.

How about one that shows him side by side with Romney with the tag, “Herman Cain. He’s not Romney.” That’s his real appeal, isn’t it? It would be just like giving the finger to traditional politics. Very satisfying, but not very farsighted.

This is starting to remind me of the biggest blunders by the tea parties in the 2010 elections, Christine O’Donnell and Sharon Angle. It’s true that he’s not the GOP establishment, but if Romney had made this many gaffes, his polling would be down in the Huntsman and Perry.

This is really bizarre.

flataffect on October 25, 2011 at 2:17 AM

“He can’t be a man ’cause he doesn’t smoke the same cigarettes as me.”

flataffect on October 25, 2011 at 2:39 AM

kim roy on October 25, 2011 at 2:07 AM

Well, it’s as even a HA entry, kept from the front page, notes:
Rick Perry’s Prime Directive: Destroy Cain.

There just are no Perry-positives for his handlers to offer up. Perry’s campaign now has been reduced to completely playing defense, going negative and attacking. There is no upside for Rick.

whatcat on October 25, 2011 at 2:39 AM

“He can’t be a man ’cause he doesn’t smoke the same cigarettes as me.”
flataffect on October 25, 2011 at 2:39 AM

I’m truly embarrassed that I didn’t come up with that Stone’s reference first! 3 pointer!

whatcat on October 25, 2011 at 2:41 AM

Considering OWS is one long smoke screen cum campaign ad for Obama, this doesn’t move the Freaky Meter anywhere into the Deaky.

Christien on October 25, 2011 at 2:55 AM

And the end shot of just Cain is too long
Aslans Girl on October 25, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Outside of a very limited number among the attention span challenged, MTV hiphop-jumpcut generation, I somehow suspect most folks just are not as totally freaked out by a 3 second shot.

whatcat on October 25, 2011 at 3:07 AM

My favorite thing is that ad looks like 1985.

galenrox on October 25, 2011 at 4:14 AM

My favorite thing is that ad looks like 1985.
galenrox on October 25, 2011 at 4:14 AM

:D
Interesting observation, it is indeed old school.

whatcat on October 25, 2011 at 4:23 AM

Yeah, crazy like a fox…

MARKETING GENIUS. PERIOD.
For the past few weeks, I’ve had a recurring suspicion that the several gaffes of Herman Cain are in fact “gaffes.” As in intentional. Deliberate. Planned.

Allow me to explain.

lovingmyUSA on October 25, 2011 at 4:25 AM

whatcat on October 25, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Yep, that’s why his followers come in-mass, one after the other, spouting inane trash-talk…but never once, do they play up the positives of Perry. Could it be there ARE no positives? I mean, the man barely can make it out of the lower single-digits. I can almost understand their bitterness…

lovingmyUSA on October 25, 2011 at 4:40 AM

whatcat on October 25, 2011 at 2:39 AM

I don’t blame them. It’s a natural human-political reaction when you see your preferred candidate sink into irrelevancy. It would be the same with any supporters of any failed candidate, so I honestly don’t begrudge the Perry supporters their frustration and disappointment. Can happen to any of us.

But as to your other question – no, there really isn’t much to offer on the Perry upside. I’d say he had a near-perfect product rollout, but the product just didn’t measure up to the hype. All that’s left for Perry at this stage, as others have noted, is to attack Cain.

whatcat on October 25, 2011 at 4:54 AM

Romney is the architect of American socialized medicine.

Perry calls us heartless for being against illegals getting education here.

1 plus 1 equals rubish.

Gedge on October 25, 2011 at 5:30 AM

i like herman cain but that ad sucked.

ted c on October 25, 2011 at 6:28 AM

i like herman cain but that ad sucked.

ted c on October 25, 2011 at 6:28 AM

No, it blew.

Saltysam on October 25, 2011 at 6:36 AM

I will NEVER forgive Sarah Palin for turning her back on this country.

These candidates are PATHETIC. All of them. I’m going with Newt cause he is the only one who could debate Obama.

stenwin77 on October 25, 2011 at 6:41 AM

This ad was AWFUL.

It’s right up there with “I am not a witch.”

First of all, who is the creepy guy talking and why would I care what he thinks. Secondly, was the dirty cigarette necessary?

stenwin77 on October 25, 2011 at 6:42 AM

I will NEVER forgive Sarah Palin for turning her back on this country.

stenwin77 on October 25, 2011 at 6:41 AM

He’s got some great ideas, but the images of him sucking up to gorebal warming and playing political pattifingers with Pelosi on that couch are tough to erase from my mind. Still, it’s hard for me to understand how poor debate performances could sink a Republican candidate more than Obama’s own track record as a SCOAMF sinks him.

Extrafishy on October 25, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Does it make me a bad person if I liked that ad a lot and it made me giggle?

BigGator5 on October 25, 2011 at 7:08 AM

A cavalcade of tired cliches. You could just use them in an ad for any candidate from any party in any year. And a testimonial from your own chief of staff… couldnt they get Joe the Plumber???

Always Right on October 25, 2011 at 7:13 AM

“Taking calculated risks. That is quite different from being rash” George S. Patton

Darvin Dowdy on October 25, 2011 at 7:30 AM

Aslans Girl on October 25, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Do tell!!

Sherman1864 on October 25, 2011 at 7:35 AM

Does it make me a bad person if I liked that ad a lot and it made me giggle?
BigGator5 on October 25, 2011 at 7:08 AM

Nope! Plus it makes you not a snob unlike many commenters surrounding you!

Sherman1864 on October 25, 2011 at 7:40 AM

I’ll take it. I was really souring on Cain but then I realized he could be the strangest candidate who could actually win, and since Lizard Man probably won’t run, I think I may have to vote for Cain.

We’re almost beyond the point of no return anyway so why not go all out for strange; we can head into the dark void laughing and hollering.

Bishop on October 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Help, I’m slippin’ into the Twilight Zone…this place is a madhouse…

Renwaa on October 25, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Extrafishy on October 25, 2011 at 7:04 AM

It’s not fair, but it will matter.

stenwin77 on October 25, 2011 at 7:46 AM

You know who smokes? Barack Obama. Maybe that’s the point? Halleluiah! We are “united” at last, blacks and blacks, blacks and whites, smokers and non-smokers, smokers and smokers, tobacco smokers and pot smokers, and those who smoke both pot and tobacco…

Anyway, at some point I hope this pic ends up in one of these ads. Maybe on the eve of Election Day to remind Americans who is the leader of the free world. ABO…

Buy Danish on October 25, 2011 at 7:49 AM

lovingmyUSA on October 25, 2011 at 4:25 AM

Yes, Cain isn’t selling a product with this ad… quite the contrary it is, indeed, marketing.

He is selling a brand which has an entire attitude that individual products will be part of.

Look at Twilight Zone episodes in which there is smoking… or the ads for cigarettes in the 1960′s… or war films from either World War… westerns… yeah we got smarter about smoking. And then put government in charge of taxing the hell out of it. The Progressives love that as it establishes that government health policy can do that. By the 1970′s it was only the villains who smoked, not heroes after tough battles who needed a break from reality for a few minutes to steady their nerves.

Smoking turned into the cause which middle America bought the Progressive State because it was: bad for those smoking, had ‘second hand smoke’, smelled up the house, and generally cost individuals unwilling to quit lots of money. The result is that we exiled smokers and the Nannystate continues to push beyond just getting them out of office buildings, but out of parks, out of loading docks and now the final push is into your HOME.

Isn’t that great?

Such villains these smokers, huh?

This is a brand message: screw the Nannystate.

Americans smoked and drank their way through the Industrial Revolution, expanding into the west, building the industrial might of the Nation, creating new technology, won world wars and now?

I don’t like smoking but I love smokers who are my fellow citizens. We don’t need government to make our place of work healthy, we don’t need government to screw those addicted to a legal product, and we don’t need ever more self-justifying Progressives castigating an activity that we can be civil about. If you like all the regulations against smoking and, perforce, smokers then you are going to love social justice.

Yeah, its an ‘in your face’ ad. America needs more of that, not less. Win or lose its an icebreaker ad, thats for sure. If you are feeling out of sorts over it, then you may want to ask yourself just what is the role of government in smoking and if the whole indoctrination against it is worth the price we pay for that intrusion into our lives.

This ad establishes a brand, not a product.

If you are a conservative you ARE THE COUNTER-CULTURE and had better get used to it until you succeed in dismantling the horror that Progressivism has inflicted on us willingly and unwillingly, both.

ajacksonian on October 25, 2011 at 7:55 AM

It’s not fair, but it will matter.

stenwin77 on October 25, 2011 at 7:46 AM

It will matter most if the snooty my-way-or-the-highway attitude current among “conservatives” continues.

Too many people around here seem to have decided that if a candidate isn’t 100% perfect, they will write in Mickey Mouse on the ballot or stay home. If a presidential hopeful says something the commentariat think he (or she) could have said better, said candidate is doomed.

Pro Tip: no one is perfect. Even Palin wasn’t perfect (though you wouldn’t know if you read what her acolytes wrote), and none of the current crop are. Every would-be president, from Ed’s beloved T-Paw through The Newt to RON PAUL!!11!!!, manages to put foot firmly in mouth from time to time.

But all of the current Repub hopefuls is better than the SCoaMF. Even Mutt Romney.

So I’m hoping commenters will lighten up a bit, push the positives of their choices until a nominee is chosen and then stand behind the anti-Osama Obama choice.

Even Democrats manage that. It’s why they win a lot.

MrScribbler on October 25, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Herman Cain tops Mitt Romney in latest CBS/NYT poll

You read it here first – maybe…

sceptical on October 25, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Oh my…all you guys just don’t get it…this is going to be a long, long election…
This is a jab at Obama…the MSM is going to say what, that smoking isn’t allowed in the White House? And this isn’t even Cain, it’s a jab at Obama, in yo momma’s face.
Good grief, sometimes as ad is a “setup”, not all ads are sales pitches…I can’t believe how naive and just plain stupid some people are.
This is not targeted at conservatives…sheeesh!!!

right2bright on October 25, 2011 at 8:07 AM

As for exactly what “tact” (here I presume you meant “tack”)

cynccook on October 24, 2011 at 11:25 PM

No I meant tact, it’s a word, look it up…sheesh…

right2bright on October 25, 2011 at 8:11 AM

wordwarp on October 25, 2011 at 1:22 AM

Bro, chill … the youtube view counter is distributed and gets out of sync sometimes … It’s got ~5k this morning .. No conspiracy here.

preallocated on October 25, 2011 at 8:14 AM

He’s hawt!

RepubChica on October 25, 2011 at 8:20 AM

I’d really like to see that cigarette put out on the end of Obama’s nose.
It was an OK ad.
But not horrible,IMHO.

Badger40 on October 25, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Smoking is no longer in vogue. Sorry. :-(

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM

First of all no one would remember or discuss the type of ad you’re describing, which is the whole point of advertising. Advertising is the “low road.” Second, millions of people smoke and I would guess a good percentage of them are not happy with the so-called “in vogue” attitude. And there are probably millions of people who gave up smoking who can relate to the discontent with that attitude too, I know I do. Actually I can say that’s pretty much true of every smoker I know, oh and they are all voters. Many people who don’t get upset about government intrusion into their lives eventually do so when it gets in their face, so to speak.

Deanna on October 25, 2011 at 8:22 AM

It’s why they win a lot.

MrScribbler on October 25, 2011 at 7:58 AM

I think they mostly win a lot bcs they are using government Sugar Daddy funds to BUY votes.
And those entitlement programs buy a lotta votes, too.
The Republicans are too cowardly to fight the real fight.
And so many of them are just as corrupt as any Dem pol.

Badger40 on October 25, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Cain’s an idiot – but this is a very good ad imo.

Only thing is – the guy takes a pretty pu$$* drag on that cig at the end.

Smoke it you like one bro!

HondaV65 on October 25, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Trying to be objective here because I do support Perry. I watched it twice. I wouldn’t say it’s bad, but it is a little strange. I’m a smoker so that part didn’t offend me at all, but there are so many rabid anti-smokers out there it seems like an odd choice.

kg598301 on October 25, 2011 at 8:54 AM

I like the ad. Hell of a lot more interesting than anything else out there.

Missy on October 25, 2011 at 9:03 AM

I want to read ALL the messages in this thread (it will take me a bit)–even the stupid ones that diss Cain.

However, I just want to say I think this ad is great AND so American!! That’s the impression it gave me. The smug snickers coming out of places like Morning Joe are to pity. They have no idea what’s hitting them. Same with CNN (“what does it mean?!?!?!?”).

Truly, America, we’ve got to lighten up, as Cain says.

MaggiePoo on October 25, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Screwy ad. There was no message. How do you sell something without a pitch?

Just came off as amateurish to me.

ElectricPhase on October 25, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Deanna on October 25, 2011 at 8:22 AM

As a smoker, I say EPIC FAIL. There are lots of subliminal messages topped off by the cig. The campaign has shown what an amateur it is behind the scenes for months now. Just ask many of the countless campaign workers who have resigned.

Kermit on October 25, 2011 at 9:17 AM

I for one like that shot of Cain at the end. It’s almost like a spoof of all the MSM ads where they have that shot of the anchor at the end. It’s kind of in-your-face.

As for the body of the ad, it was okay. Just a no-nonsense message about getting the country back from the regime. No harm done.

DaydreamBeliever on October 25, 2011 at 9:19 AM

When you’re out of Schlitz, you’re out of beer chemicals.

Ward Cleaver on October 25, 2011 at 9:20 AM

I thought it was funny. I loved the way Herb smirked and then grinned at the end. Yeah, Block blew smoke at you all… LOL

Fallon on October 25, 2011 at 9:34 AM

While it was different for sure, it wasn’t effective. Cain’s keystone proposal is his 9-9-9 tax revamp. If it were me, his ads should focus on real people and the difference his plan would’ve had on their 2010 taxes. Act like a guerilla marketing campaign where they “ambush” people doing their taxes. Show the bottom line. Show how much more they’d have in their paychecks week to week. Destroy the current tax scheme.
I like thinking outside the box, don’t like the ad.

smfic on October 25, 2011 at 9:39 AM

X Files!

huckleberryfriend on October 25, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Just came off as amateurish to me.

ElectricPhase on October 25, 2011 at 9:08 AM
——

Kermit on October 25, 2011 at 9:17 AM

lol…oh, boy…where to begin. The ad’s supposed to give that anti-glitz, low-budget, “amateurish”, novel, off-the-cuff-during-cigarette-break-vibe. Believe me, the process of producing this piece was highly professional, manufactured by a highly-paid advertising creative team tweaking a political brand.

And judging by the buzz it’s creating–mission accomplished by Team Cain.

And he’s hawt.

RepubChica on October 25, 2011 at 9:40 AM

They were also going for the “charmingly cheesy” factor–a marketing ploy that’s all the rage now if you look at the countless commercials out there any given day.

RepubChica on October 25, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Mark Steyn is back on board the Cain train.

exdeadhead on October 25, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Deanna on October 25, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Sure. That’s all I can say to you… Sure.

And judging by the buzz it’s creating–mission accomplished by Team Cain.

And he’s hawt.

RepubChica on October 25, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Your guy has a knack at reminding the country why he shouldn’t be POTUS and demonstrated just what kind of people he would surround himself with if elected. This ad is a disaster albeit a hilarious disaster.

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 9:54 AM

It’s presumably aimed at the libertarian-inclined. Maybe he’s triangulating after the abortion imbroglio.

Seth Halpern on October 25, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Kermit on October 25, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Well, I have talked to three smokers so far and all liked the ad. They are all taking a look at Cain and were all undecideds. They thought it was funny and liked the idea he has a sense of humor. All of them are classified as independents and all vote. So I guess we’ll see. But I suspect you wouldn’t like any ad that Cain came up with.

Deanna on October 25, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Finally watched this. There’s an inexplicable appeal from the tone, even though, admittedly, I loathe Mark Block and AFP, because of their shameful volume of robocalls that haunt my phone.

MadisonConservative on October 25, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Deanna on October 25, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Well now, it looks like Cain has this thing all wrapped up!

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Uh, he’s not my guy. I’m seriously looking at Newt and Cain and even Romney catches my attention with his presentation. I’m not 100% sold on Cain just yet, though I admire the man immensely.

All I am at this point is obliged to give the Cainster an assist or two on the internets from to time as my yang for the ying of over-the-top derangement Cain brings out in some people…ahem, who can remain nameless for now…their public rantings speak for themselves.

RepubChica on October 25, 2011 at 10:14 AM

He is daring the DNC to complain about the smoking.

He knows they can’t do it because Dear Leader can’t kick his habit.

Like kicking Obama in the teeth without all the messy cleanup.

winoceros on October 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM

He just comes off as your precinct guy around the corner, with a day job, who is spending time away from his family to get the local guy elected because he just believes that strongly in him.

It’s fine. Actually the first political ad I’ve seen this season. We’re in Minnesota.

winoceros on October 25, 2011 at 10:19 AM

RepubChica on October 25, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I have serious Cain Derangement Syndrome. Guilty! Herman isn’t a serious candidate in very, very serious times. Herman is actually making the GOP and the Tea Party look like a bunch of cranks more impressed with cheesy ads than substantive policy ideas. It’s embarrassing.

But… it helps my guy out in the long run and makes him more palatable. Newt is now in third in the latest CBS/NYT poll that was posted in headlines. :-)

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 10:28 AM

lovingmyUSA on October 25, 2011 at 4:25 AM

Interesting analysis and analogy. Silber ultimately lost to the republican William Weld. Silber seemed to go out of his way to antagonize, Cain is avuncular and warm. So Cain’s “gaffes” are somewhat neutralized by his personality, as were Reagan’s.

rrpjr on October 25, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I don’t know about the smoking guy, but in future ads, Cain should keep the end where he stares at the camera and smiles. That part makes me smile.

p40tiger on October 25, 2011 at 10:33 AM

And judging by the buzz it’s creating–mission accomplished by Team Cain.

And he’s hawt.

RepubChica on October 25, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I can only hope that you forgot to add a sarc tag.

ElectricPhase on October 25, 2011 at 10:37 AM

He is daring the DNC to complain about the smoking.

He knows they can’t do it because Dear Leader can’t kick his habit.

winoceros on October 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM

The only comment on the entire page that makes a lick of sense. Thanks for the suggestion. Don’t know if it’s correct, but at least it’s a reasonable guess.

philwynk on October 25, 2011 at 10:38 AM

The drag on the smoke certainly saves this one. I like the concept and agree Cain’s camp should build on it.

EconomicNeocon on October 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM

If this is supposed to be a political ad, it stunk, and not just of cigarette smoke. There’s never been a candidate like Herman Cain? Tell us why! Tell us what Cain would do if he were President!

When he puffs on his ciggy, the guy on camera adds nothing to the message and wastes 5 seconds saying nothing, and probably turns off the vast majority of adults who don’t smoke, after which Cain is on camera for 8 seconds saying nothing. What’s the message here?

Earth to the Godfather: If this is your campaign manager, get a new one.

Steve Z on October 25, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I love this ad. Very wry,

Awesome.

Allahs vulva on October 25, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Playa hater. Cain got the buzz. Deal with it. :0)

RepubChica on October 25, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I can only hope that you forgot to add a sarc tag.

ElectricPhase on October 25, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Okay, he’s slightly less hawt than I originally thought. I’m just a sucka for smoker’s breath and yellow teeth.

RepubChica on October 25, 2011 at 11:16 AM

DanMan abides.

DanMan on October 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Playa hater.
RepubChica on October 25, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Democrat.

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Democrat.

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Psycho.

RepubChica on October 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM

ajacksonian on October 25, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Well said, my friend — better than my piece from late last night.

When one reads this article that highlights the body of commentary that Cain’s written over the years, it makes sense that the quirky ads are just the visual expression of his thots.

We kvetch about the need for a conservative somebody to shake things up, and along comes a man on a horse with yellow flowers and the people take heart until the man breaks out a cig and they freak out–this is not the man we seek. And by their protestations, we see that the real issue is not the notion of a nanny state itself.

Rather, it is whether it is a progressive or conservative nanny state. They would be fine with one that will inflict their sense of correctness upon the unwashed masses. To them, the concept of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness is just a slogan, not a core principle.

AH_C on October 25, 2011 at 11:24 AM

p40tiger on October 25, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Know how politicians are supposed to say “blah, blah, blah & I approve of this message”? This does the same without saying a word.

AH_C on October 25, 2011 at 11:27 AM

He is daring the DNC to complain about the smoking.
He knows they can’t do it because Dear Leader can’t kick his habit.
Like kicking Obama in the teeth without all the messy cleanup.
winoceros on October 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I laughed my butt off ! The left is going to go nuts about this and so will the I Hate Cain crowd.
Too damn funny.