New Herman Cain ad: The smoking man

posted at 9:22 pm on October 24, 2011 by Allahpundit

Lots of buzz about this among political junkies on Twitter tonight, mostly of the so-bad-it’s-good variety. Is the image of this guy taking a soothing drag on camera after 40 seconds of ad-tastic exertion really that strange and transgressive? Cain’s campaign is all about unapologetic populist authenticity, and there’s nothing more unapologetically, authentically populist than defiantly lighting one up when the mood strikes, politesse be damned. As the man says, “We’ve run a campaign like nobody’s ever seen.” If you’ve got a problem with casual smoking during presidential spots, well, that only proves what an uptight establishment RINO you really are.

In the next spot, Block should have a smoke in one hand and a can of Schlitz in the other. And as the camera pulls back, there’s Cain next to him, eating a slice of Godfather’s and giving a big thumbs-up.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Psycho.

RepubChica on October 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Lazy Democrat.

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I think there may be a subtle dig at Mormonism too. Mormons and blacks have a history. Mormons aren’t supposed to smoke. Here’s the black rival of a Mormon candidate, endorsing a very prominent drag on a cigarette. Accidental?

Seth Halpern on October 25, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Come on, guys, this isn’t a real Herman Cain ad. No way possible.

dczombie on October 25, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Ok, nevermind. It’s real. Holy smokes!

dczombie on October 25, 2011 at 12:22 PM

HA candidate support update –

HERMAIN CAIN (57): 2Tru2Tru, Alecj, Apologetic, Astonerii, Balkanmom
BierMan VA, Bill C, Bkennedy, Blatantblu, Canopfor, Carbon_footprint
CatoReansci, Cliffhanger, Coldwarrior 57, Conservalicious, CrankyTRex, CTSherman, davidk, Deedtrader, Dingbat63, Ditkaca, DrW, Gh, Grunt, gryphon202, Iowawoman, Jhffman, JimW, joe_doufu, Karmi, katablog.com, Katy the mean old lady, Keep the Change, KingGold, Knucklehead, Lily, Lovingmy USA, Mankai,
MR_Magoo, Ninjapirate, Norwegian, pappyD61, prtlandon, Puncheko,
RalphBoy, Rational Thought, RedbonePro, redfoxbluestate,
Repubchica, Robert_Paulson, ronsfi, Schadenfreude, SlaveDog, Steve Z,Ted c, tjexcite, Txmomof6.

NEWT GINGRICH (41): A capella, Ameripundit, Bflat879, Bluefox, Borntoraisehogs, BuckeyeSam, Carbon_footprint, Christian Conservative, Cindy Munford, cycncook, Daemonocracy, Darwin, DKCZ,
Don L, Doughboy, El_Terrible, Floating Rock, Fossten, Georgealbert,
Hellcat, Huckleberryfriend, JellyToast, Lourdes, MeatHeadinCA, Meh,
NY Conservative, PowerPro, ProudPalinFan, Puncheko, Redlizard64,
Right2bright, sandee, Search4truth, Sharrukin, Socmodifscon,
Spanky, Stenwin77, Trs, Unseen, VBMax, Victor82.

RICK PERRY (23): Annoyinglittletwerp, Aslans Girl, Bluefox, Cartooner, Christian Conservative, Cmsinaz, Darwin, Dire Straits,
Dr. evil, El_terrible, Flyfisher, Gophergirl, Jeffn21, JonPrichard,
Juliesa, Marcus, Meh, NickDeringer, OneGyT, Rukiddingme, Steve Z,
The Right Man, XWing5.

MITT ROMNEY (15): Andy85719, csdeven, Faraway, jjshaka, Joepub, Lorien1973, MJ Brutus, Nswider, Pcoop, Petunia, Sheryl, Swamp Yankee, Thuja, Voter from WA State.

MICHELE BACHMANN (1): FloatingRock

SARAH PALIN ((18) former or current)):

It seems to me that the Palin supporter have split about 60/40 for Cain/Gingrich with a Perry or two. There are/were more supporters of Palin than Romney currently has here at HA.

IF I have you supporting the wrong candidate or you change your support please feel free to update me via email @ prov22.17-21@juno.com. Again I hope it al remains civil as we go through the process of coalescing around our eventual Nominee who MUST show Obama what it feels like to be unemployed…that way Obama can Empathize as well as faux sympathize!!!

RedLizard64 on October 25, 2011 at 12:29 PM

From C.S. Lewis -

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS AD! It shows that Herman Cain gets it and he’s figuratively flipping the finger to ALL the omnipotent moral busybodies that have placed a choke hold on personal choices and freedom. He gets my vote just for having to cojones (sp?) to fight back.

SoldiersMom on October 25, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Lazy Democrat.

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM

lol…sad little sick puppy.

PS–get a new hobby. Hating on a successful, self-made man is sooo OWSish. :0)

RepubChica on October 25, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I saw this posted by someone on another conservative site and thought it was worth sharing …would be good advice to help the candidates and those that support them…

Doug Smith

: 10/24/11 16:50

Here is a suggestion for all the candidates. Learn this phrase. ” I have no idea.” Simple. Havent really thought about that one. Ask me later , after I ve had time to think about it.

It is not possible that everyone has thought about every single thing that could come across the President s desk. Be honest, and admit it. It will be a breath of fresh air.

But I won t make every single decision alone. That approach was tried, without lasting success, in 1930 s Germany.

Here is what I DO know.

I believe in smaller, limited, constitutional government.
I believe we spend far too much money, tax our citizens too much, and encourage business to leave.
I believe that if you are a friend of the United States, we ought to be a strong, reliable, loyal friend.
I believe that if you are an enemy of the United States, you ought to sleep in fear every night of your life.
I believe we should empower our citizens, and expect good citizenship from our residents.
I believe we should rely on individual initiative and resourcefulness, and encourage those citizens who do likewise.
I believe we have a duty to make our nation strong, well defended, and ready, willing , and able to utterly destroy any enemy who tries to harm us. There will be no proportional response.

I will not do all these things. But I will enlist the help of people who believe as I do and have the ability to do so. I will empower them to act according to our shared beliefs.

I will not deal with every detail, or know every answer. But I know the principles and values on which we will act, and will lead our nation in that direction. That is what you can count on. If you want the grand champion of Jeopardy, then call him.

RedLizard64 on October 25, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Mark Block on Megyan Kelly in a few minutes…

lovingmyUSA on October 25, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Seth Halpern on October 25, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Yeah, and there’s all that numerology stuff too, bet he’s not a “real” Christian either. Got any other BS to offer…I mean, with an imagination like that, surely you have more…

lovingmyUSA on October 25, 2011 at 1:16 PM

PS–get a new hobby. Hating on a successful, self-made man is sooo OWSish. :0)

RepubChica on October 25, 2011 at 12:47 PM

OWS is going to get another four years if your successful, self-made man gets the nomination.

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Mission accomplished. Mark Block talking to Meghan Kelley on Fox right now.

Knucklehead on October 25, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Poor bitter little man…you get more pathetic with each comment, and you can’t even see it. Still nothing good to say about your supposed candidate?? Puts you firmly in the “troll” catagory. Spathi broke the mold–you are a poor substitute…

lovingmyUSA on October 25, 2011 at 1:25 PM

What was the point of the smoking? Cain lost me on that.

NNtrancer on October 25, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Why not have his chief of staff shooting up heroin? That should pull in the drug users.

NNtrancer on October 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Brit Hume on Herman Cain: “You can never quite figure out what the guy is up to”

lovingmyUSA on October 25, 2011 at 1:38 PM

NNtrancer on October 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Maybe you could share what you’re on…seems like it must be good stuff…

lovingmyUSA on October 25, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Punchenko on October 25, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Have faith, young Padawan. I’m sure you and your little keyboard will make it unscathed through such a national tragedy. Home of the brave and all. :0)

RepubChica on October 25, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I suspect that the commercial left in the smoking scene in a rebellious tweak of the establishment that gave Obama and Boenher a ration of crap for their smoking.

Reminds me of a certain Brownsville Station rock anthem.

Bart DePalma on October 25, 2011 at 2:27 PM

NNtrancer on October 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Something tells me you would be a great big drag to have a beer with. Never mind a shot of tequila.

CarolynM on October 25, 2011 at 2:39 PM

NNtrancer on October 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Based on the very odd and unusual head shake that starts when he says the word ‘united’, he’s either on something like heroin or was overly coached.

bayam on October 25, 2011 at 3:14 PM

What was the point of the smoking? Cain lost me on that.

NNtrancer on October 25, 2011 at 1:36 PM

It’s purposefully not politically correct. That’s why Cain smiles the way he does at the end. I don’t smoke, never have, but smoking is, as of now, still legal.

I just watched it again, and it is still funny, in a very good way.

I’m not on the train but this ad makes me smile…

Fallon on October 25, 2011 at 4:11 PM

nswider on October 24, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I love the concept aof a flat tax also but one thing noboday addresses is the number of middle income and low income workeers who will work part time but only if they are paid in cash, thereby defeating the innate fairness of the flat tax. ???????

RedLizard64 on October 25, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I’m not on the train but this ad makes me smile…

Fallon on October 25, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I only watched it once, last night and just laughed. Just knew he was poking fun or tweaking someone, LOL I remember he said before, that people need to have a sense of humor. It certainly got everyone’s attention:-)

bluefox on October 25, 2011 at 4:32 PM

This is a brand message: screw the Nannystate.

Yeah, its an ‘in your face’ ad. America needs more of that, not less.
ajacksonian on October 25, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Exactly. Cains grin says it all, LOL A poke in the eye to this Administration and a He** Yes for Freedom!

That’s what I got out of it. He could have issued a long statement on what is wrong with the Country, i.e. loss of our Freedoms and the Nannystate as you said. This ad says it all, LOL The cigarette was the “tool” used to send that message!!!

bluefox on October 25, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Regarding the ad, what’s not being talked about was 1) the music at the end – pure energy and uplifting. Great. The Cain campaign should keep this song for their anthem. 2) Herman’s cheshire cat grin just as the music reached its crescendo. Someone knows what they’re doing. This is no fluke.

Darvin Dowdy on October 25, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Not exactly Viral but this is current number of views,,,

148,986

RedLizard64 on October 26, 2011 at 1:13 AM

As for exactly what “tact” (here I presume you meant “tack”)

cynccook on October 24, 2011 at 11:25 PM
No I meant tact, it’s a word, look it up…sheesh…

right2bright on October 25, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Yeah it is, but you mis-used it.

In the comment Cynccook was referring to, the word should have been ‘tack’ as in direction.

Siddhartha Vicious on October 26, 2011 at 6:05 AM

Darvin Dowdy on October 25, 2011 at 10:31 PM

The cig was the exclamation point, but kind of overshadowed a lot of other stuff going on in the video.

The music is catchy, but corny as all hell. But it is funny. Kind of reminded me of something Hulk Hogan would chose as a theme song in the 1980s.

Mark Block speaking in the third person, opening with “Mark Block here” and his slow halting manner of speaking.

Cain’s profile and slow turn and smile is priceless.

Makes me laugh every time.

And yes the Huntsman girls are hotter than hell.

swamp_yankee on October 28, 2011 at 10:13 PM