Down twinkles: OWS at risk of fracturing over … drumming?

posted at 10:17 pm on October 24, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Moe Lane. I held off on linking this for an hour because no one on Twitter, including me, could tell if it’s a genuine message or a goof. I still can’t be sure but I think it’s the real deal for a few reasons. One: There are, in fact, tensions within the movement over drumming. Seriously. Two: n+1 has published bona fide OWS messages before and seems sympathetic to the movement, so it’d be strange for a parody this cutting to show up there. Three: The same message appeared online hours ago at a different site. And four: The official OWS site has a post up tonight similarly fretting about a standoff with the drummers. Probably real, then but that’s the most comfort I can give you. Even for a movement populated by guys named “Zonkers,” this seems a bit … much.

OWS is over after Tuesday:

Friends, mediation with the drummers has been called off. It has gone on for more than 2 weeks and it has reached a dead end. The drummers formed a working group called Pulse and agreed to 2 hrs/day at times during the mediation, and more recently that changed to 4 hrs/day. It’s my feeling that we may have a fighting chance with the community board if we could indeed limit drumming and loud instrumentation to 12-2 PM and 4-6 PM, however that isn’t what’s happening.

Last night the drumming was near continuous until 10:30 PM at night. Today it began again at 11 AM. The drummers are fighting among themselves, there is no cohesive group. There is one assemblage called Pulse that organized most of the drummers into a group and went to GA for formal recognition and with a proposal…

At this point we have lost the support of allies in the Community Board and the state senator and city electeds who have been fighting the city to stave off our eviction, get us toilets, etc. On Tuesday there is a Community Board vote, which will be packed with media cameras and community members with real grievances. We have sadly demonstrated to them that we are unable to collectively 1) keep our space and surrounding areas clean and sanitary, 2) keep the park safe, 3) deal with internal conflict and enforce the Good Neighbor Policy that was passed by the General Assembly…

In the meantime, there are other drummers who refuse to acknowledge OWS or the GA as a body they are interested in, and these drummers show up on site when they fell like it and drum when they feel like it. Over the weekend, it was for 10 or 11 hours straight, until late night.

So in the meantime, while we are grateful for the negotiations and positive relations with Pulse, we recognize that the issue of whether we’re evicted over drumming or not remains. For that reason we are asking for people to show up during quiet hour shifts, to ensure that drumming does not start.

They’re worried that the press won’t be supportive if the endless drumming keeps up, but if the media was willing to stick by them while people were crapping on cop cars and doorsteps, they’re not about to desert them over rogue bongos. Exit question one: Isn’t this OWS’s version of the Altalena affair? The rogue drummers must be neutralized so that the GA can maintain its monopoly of lawful, orderly drumming within the newborn state/commune. Exit question two: What percentage of the movement’s activities has been devoted to articulating grievances so far and what percentage has been devoted to … managing drumming? 60/40, maybe? 40/60? 10/90? Help me out.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If they shut down the drummers to 2 hours a day, you cut off their tip income. That’s the issue. Capitalist pigs.

AcidReflux on October 25, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Correct. However, they are only allowed to keep a fraction of their tips. They should allow them to keep it all if they restrict their banging to those hours.

I do wish someone would dumb a truck load of vuvuzelas in the park.

Blake on October 25, 2011 at 8:21 AM

If OWS has $500.000 in the bank…

Blake on October 25, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Are they a 501c3? If so, I propose eliminating all 501c3′s. Seriously, have you noticed how prevalent and deceptively political many not-for-profit groups are? And, none of them are paying typical business taxes.

Fallon on October 25, 2011 at 8:27 AM

When I think of OWS drummers I think of a baby banging it’s spoon next to an empty feeding bowl.

Crusty on October 25, 2011 at 9:03 AM

The problem with anarchy movements is that they are filled with anarchists.

BohicaTwentyTwo on October 25, 2011 at 9:19 AM

They raided the Oakland illegal encampment early this morning. I suspect the occu-poopers will be back with a show of force in the next couple of days.

Blake on October 25, 2011 at 9:23 AM

BohicaTwentyTwo Nails It!!

The problem with anarchy movements is that they are filled with anarchists.

Ahahaha. :-)

mountainaires on October 25, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Bah rumpa pum pum, rumpa pum pum

Me and my drum…

BobMbx on October 25, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Fallon on October 25, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Yeah, make them deal with business law and regulations, as well as taxes.

LarryD on October 25, 2011 at 10:06 AM

The Democrats version of the Tea Party.

hawksruleva on October 25, 2011 at 10:07 AM

The Democrats version of the Tea Party.
hawksruleva on October 25, 2011 at 10:07 AM

The Crazy People version of the Tea Party would be exactly the same as this one.

Akzed on October 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM

We are all drummers now! (I’ll be Neil Peart)

Caper29 on October 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM

There is a time and place for everything. And that place is Burning Man.

Kenosha Kid on October 25, 2011 at 11:03 AM

As a used to be drummer… I always did my best work at night (after midnight actually)… If I go there will they respect my need for creative release? Or will they get a greedy with the ‘time’? After all… time is money.

RalphyBoy on October 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM

We are all drummers now! (I’ll be Neil Peart)

Caper29 on October 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I’ll be Ringo (the luckiest drummer ever)

RalphyBoy on October 25, 2011 at 11:10 AM

This just gets funnier and funnier. I said before and I will say again, this has been a great graduate course in real government. They have had to form their own tax collection agency, police force, government, sanitation department of course according to their own socialist principles and they all fail. If we forced them to stay there I bet over time either they come up with a structure that looks a lot like the US Constitution or it is Lord of the Flies and they all get hurt.

odannyboy on October 25, 2011 at 11:14 AM

THE DAY OF THE DRUM!

Blake on October 25, 2011 at 11:16 AM

I’m sure each and every one of you recalls the section of your report cards entitled, “Plays well with others”. Yeah, it meant something. Too bad you chose to ignore it.

ya2daup on October 25, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I’ll be Ringo (the luckiest drummer ever)

RalphyBoy on October 25, 2011 at 11:10 AM

But, usually I feel like Pete Best…

Caper29 on October 25, 2011 at 1:02 PM

This is to be expected.

They did not have that section. More likely self-esteem was held in higher regard than teamwork or thinking of others’ needs. (ironic given their claim to care so much for others’ needs – as long as they’re dealt with using others’ money too).

Just like some of the more touchy-feely educators out there discourage consequences as somehow interfering with the little darlings’ creativity or expressing themselves those who ignore others’ requests are preoccupied with finding any airy-faerie euphemism for “I do what I want when I want, because!”

Teach kids to freeze in their “me, me, me” phase and – shocker of shockers – you get selfish dolts who only know they want to do what they want. That rarely includes accepting any responsibility for themselves or caring a whit for others’ needs.

RDuke on October 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM

DRUM AND DRUMMER!

gullxn on October 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Poncho Sanchez would not approve.

abobo on October 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM