Change: Obama hires lobbyist as senior political adviser

posted at 3:25 pm on October 24, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Old and busted: Lobbyists are the problem in Washington, keeping entrenched politicos in office, and more interested in big donors than actual constituents.  New hotness: Some of my best friends, er, senior political advisers are lobbyists:

President Obama’s reelection campaign has hired a former lobbyist to serve as a senior adviser to the 2012 team.

The Obama campaign announced Monday the hiring of Broderick Johnson, a veteran of the Clinton White House and Sen. John Kerry’s (D-Mass.) 2004 presidential campaign.

Obama positioned himself as an enemy of K Street and special interests during his first presidential campaign. He repeatedly vowed that lobbyists would not run his White House and refused to accept campaign contributions from registered lobbyists.

Hey, not to worry — Johnson hasn’t lobbied in ages.  In fact, it’s been 26 whole weeks since Johnson lobbied in Washington!

And guess who some of his clients were:

Johnson is a former partner at the law firm Bryan Cave and was registered to lobby up until April 2011 for several major companies and trade groups, such as the Financial Services Forum, Comcast Corporation, and Microsoft, according to lobbying disclosure records.

Well, well, well.  How will the Occupy Movement handle the news that Obama’s new political sherpa lobbied for a group that numbers among its members executives from Goldman Sachs, US Bancorp, JP Morgan Chase, UBS, Morgan Stanley, and Bank of America?  Oh, and who else do we see on this list?  Could it be …. Robert Benmosche, CEO of AIG?  Yes, the very same man who blasted Congress in 2009 and bragged that he would refuse to appear if summoned to Capitol Hill.  He also demanded a corporate jet from AIG while it was still in the process of being bailed out by American taxpayers.

Say, didn’t Obama have an opinion or two this year about corporate jet owners?

Obama’s team insists that they won’t take any lobbying money from K Street, but it’s pretty clear that Johnson isn’t coming to Obama’s rescue among the lobbying community.  Johnson got hired to try to wheedle more money out of Wall Street, where his previous lobbying gives him deep connections to the finance industry — which has turned its back on Obama.  Perhaps Johnson will succeed in restarting the contribution spigot for Obama on Wall Street, but that’s hardly the change on which he campaigned in 2008 … and the financial industry is not likely to buy Obama’s change in 2011 to a class-warfare demagogue while his allies on the Left demonize them on the streets below their offices.

Comments

With Selective Outrage of course.

Chip on October 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM

OWS will never know because the media ain’t gonna tell them..

sandee on October 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM

You mean Obama says one thing and does another? Next thing you’ll be telling me is he doesn’t really want to cut spending.

Doughboy on October 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I sense a plethora of YouTube compare and contrast productions in the offing.

a capella on October 24, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Be fair, Ed. The Administration probably issued a(nother) waiver so Obama could hire a(nother) lobbyist.

MayBee on October 24, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I dunno Ed. . . . . . . seems like another ‘Dog Bites Man’ story.

listens2glenn on October 24, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Ding ding ding
Good one Sandee

I really despise that man

cmsinaz on October 24, 2011 at 3:31 PM

“But I am still voting for Obama over Romney because..well..because.sputter..sputter..fulminate..because I am seeking the conservative nirvana and The Won will drive this country so far into the ditch that my candidate, (fill in the blank), will swoop in in 2016 and be our salvation..”

The War Planner on October 24, 2011 at 3:32 PM

This would only be a problem for a Republican.

SlaveDog on October 24, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Per Newsbusters: His wife is an anchor for NPR…

d1carter on October 24, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Did he even bother with a waiver this time, or is that so 2009?

BobMbx on October 24, 2011 at 3:41 PM

The bad apples don’t fall far from the tree, do they!?!

capejasmine on October 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM

The War Planner on October 24, 2011 at 3:32 PM

“But I am still voting for Romney over Cain because..well..because.sputter..sputter..fulminate..because I am seeking someone who can win the general even if they’re not really very conservative and everything they’ve done in the past is pretty much everything I, as a conservative, am supposed to be against, and even though all recent polling has indicated that Cain is actually beating both Romney, and Obama. I simply choose to ignore that, because … er … er … sputter … sputter … I don’t know.”

See how that works?

Gregor on October 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Hey, how can this be??? I thought he wasn’t going to bring any lobbyists to the White House.

Oh, that’s right. He was also going to have the most transparent administration, close Gitmo, balance the budget, rein in spending, pull the troops in the first year, work with the Republicans, blah, blah, blah.

joelj31 on October 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Doughboy, he really doesn’t want to cut spending.

NoFanofLibs on October 24, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Obama lied, Capitalism died.

faraway on October 24, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Despite Wall Street “souring” on Obama, he has still collected more in donations from them than all the GOP candidates combined.

You see, those new regulations mandated by Dodd-Frank remain largely unwritten, but the writers work for Obama and you can bet they will get it done before his term ends. So those who fail to pony up may find the regulations tailored to hurt them directly. It’s the Chicago Way.

Adjoran on October 24, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Shamelessness, thy name is Obama…

JohnGalt23 on October 24, 2011 at 4:06 PM

See how that works?

Gregor on October 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM

..no, I do not. Mainly because I am voting for Cain or Perry or whomever has the best chance to advance the conservative standard into the general election AND SUBSEQUENTLY BEAT THAT IMMENSE BOWEL MOVEMENT POTUS. I have not ruled out anyone. (Even Ron Paul.)

And I do NOT intend to cut my nose off to spite my face and vote for Obama over Romney just in the off-chance there may be a 72-virgin Conservative paradise that could arise, Phoenix-like, in 2016 from the ashes of the smoking shitt-heap of a country that festering gelatinous mass of donkey afterbirth will have left us with.

The War Planner on October 24, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I wonder if Broderick Johnson realizes that he will now have Obowma’s stink on him from now until the end of time itself…?

Seven Percent Solution on October 24, 2011 at 4:10 PM

And I do NOT intend to cut my nose off to spite my face

The War Planner on October 24, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Um … that’s exactly what you’re doing by insisting on voting for either Perry or Romney in the primary and insisting on nominating a non-conservative. Why would you do that? Doesn’t make a bit of sense. You purposely insist on being stubborn and nominating one of two people who have repeatedly implemented the very policies you ‘claim’ to stand against. Then, you call others stupid for refusing to help you out with that.

Also, I don’t know anyone saying they’ll vote for Obama. I know a lot of people, including me, who promise you that we will never vote show up to vote for frauds again. I am done rewarding people like you, and the rest of the GOP elite, who inist on forcing con artists like McCain, Romney, and Perry on us all, and then tell us we have to hold our noses and give them what they want. F&$K OFF! If Obama wins a second term … BLAME YOUR OWN MORONIC SELF.

Gregor on October 24, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Johnson got hired to try to wheedle more money out of Wall Street, where his previous lobbying gives him deep connections to the finance industry — which has turned its back on finally wised up to Obama.

Slow learners.

iurockhead on October 24, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Ya don’t sayyyyyy…..lol

Obozo really is a man of his word, isn’t he?

KMC1 on October 24, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Ya don’t sayyyyyy…..lol

Obozo really is a man of his word, isn’t he?

KMC1 on October 24, 2011 at 4:24 PM

About as honest as Romney or Perry

Gregor on October 24, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Also, I don’t know anyone saying they’ll vote for Obama. I know a lot of people, including me, who promise you that we will never vote show up to vote for frauds again. I am done rewarding people like you, and the rest of the GOP elite, who inist [sic] on forcing con artists like McCain, Romney, and Perry on us all, and then tell us we have to hold our noses and give them what they want. F&$K OFF! If Obama wins a second term … BLAME YOUR OWN MORONIC SELF.

Gregor on October 24, 2011 at 4:14 PM

The point was not to pick a fight with you or anyone else. I’d rather keep my powder dry for the idiots on the left who deserve our wrath. That said, please go back and re-read my comment, specifically:

“..or whomever has the best chance to advance the conservative standard into the general election AND SUBSEQUENTLY BEAT THAT IMMENSE BOWEL MOVEMENT POTUS.”

And, yes, I do know people who say they would prefer to vote for Obama over Romney — peruse some of the threads here at HA.

But I do chafe at your characterizing me as a GOP elite just because I want to defeat Obama. Why not just throttle back a bit and realize we probably have more in common than we do differences?

The War Planner on October 24, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Another campaign promise with an expiration date.

GarandFan on October 24, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Most politicians are a spiritual, intellectual and personality vacuum. And Barack Hussein Obama is the politician’s politician.

In this wasteland of a life, the people who suck up to him for power are his only friends. And lobbyists are his truest friends, because they don’t pretend to have any other motives for hanging around with him.

logis on October 24, 2011 at 6:06 PM

But he promised! I thought he was going to be different!

Wingo on October 24, 2011 at 6:16 PM