Rick Perry obliquely critiques his opponents’ views on abortion

posted at 12:00 pm on October 23, 2011 by Tina Korbe

At the Iowa Faith and Freedom dinner yesterday, Rick Perry sounded exceptionally strong on social issues, emphasizing his own committed and clearly spoken position on abortion while obliquely critiquing Mitt Romney and Herman Cain, both of whose pro-life credentials remain somewhat questionable:

[Cain's] comments to CNN that put his position against abortion in doubt made him a target on the stage. Texas Gov. Rick Perry took a swipe at him, although he did not refer directly to the interview, in which Cain said that families should be able to abort a pregnancy in instances of incest and rape.

“It is a liberal canard to say, ‘I am personally pro-life, but government should stay out of that decision,’ ” Perry said. “That is not pro-life. That is pro-having-your-cake-and-eating-it-too.” …

“Being pro-life is not a matter of campaign convenience. It is a core conviction,” Perry said, drawing a contrast not only with Cain but also with Romney, who says he opposes abortion rights but who had supported them earlier in his political career.

“When it comes to faith, it is the core of who I am. It is an essential act as much as breathing is an essential act,” Perry said. “I found the true source of hope and change, and that is a loving God who changes hearts of stone into hearts of flesh.”

Incidentally, that last jab at Obama happens to be my very favorite.

Romney wasn’t even at the dinner to defend himself, but Cain took the event as an opportunity to clarify his views on the touchy topic yet again. He reaffirmed his support for life, saying he thinks abortion should be illegal throughout the country and promising not to approve any government funding for abortion. Cain’s clarifications have been at least as confusing as the original interviews he gave on the subject — but, overall, it does, at least, appear that he seeks to err on the side of life.

Nevertheless, the headlines about this event will focus on Perry for a reason. The Texas governor typically shines in a setting like the Faith and Freedom Dinner, and, from what I can gather, he was at his best again last night. For all that the guy can’t debate, he can hold captive an audience when he speaks sincerely on a subject about which he cares deeply — and when the crowd is exceptionally friendly. That sounds deceptively easy — but it’s a skill no less than any elocutionary ability. It’s reassuring, at least, to remember this Perry, the Perry of confidence and conviction.

In 2008, Perry piqued pro-lifers with his endorsement of Rudy Giuliani for president. Various other decisions he’s made could also be construed as less-than-perfectly pro-life. But, by and large, he has enormous credibility on the issue. Pro-life leaders in his state love him, for example.

“This issue really is dear to his heart, he understands it and he has always made it a priority,” one said. “He’s not necessarily going to put it in every speech because he knows he’s got to get elected, but … he’s not going to run from it, because it’s just who he is.”

Last night illustrates that, when he is able to put a little of “who he is” into a speech, he easily overshadows his competitors. Would that he could bring that self to debates …

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

More flaming dishonesty. It’s not God, or Jesus, we hate, but the tactic of bringing them into matters as an excuse for failing to do the job in front of you. rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 3:58 PM

We hate, do you have a mouse in your pocket?

If you make room for hate in your heart it will make a home there.

Dr Evil on October 23, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I’ll assume you’re joking. You are, whether you know it or not. Doctor sissyskirts…

I hate liars, and traitors, yes. They are worth hating, and the fact that you FOLLOW them, while whining Dr Philisms about hate, does not bode well for our country.

You are more a problem for America, than twenty democrats. One day, when the dust has cleared and you see the chains on your children’s wrists, you’ll understand that.

For now, you must be defeated, and boy howdy, I’m up for some defeatin’…..

rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM

rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Its going to be long campaign for you.

Bless your heart.

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 7:01 PM

You keep saying that, supposing you’re a clever jet with your slack southern witticisms.

It’s not something to right home about, nancy.

rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 7:07 PM

You keep saying that…

rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Not that I need your permission, but I appreciate it anyway.

Heck, you have been around the bend since Perry first entered the race. Is your irrational Perry hatred what caused you to add another loony tunes “o” to your moniker? The “yahoo” parts fits you pretty well. Though I don’t think you understand the meaning of “right wing”.

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I’d say you have that precisely backward.

And yes, I’ve recognized Rick Perry for the “fall backwards into it”, slacker and border-hater that he is, since the Bush years.

Bush=Perry. I voted for, and contributed to, and in 2000, worked HARD to see Bush elected, here in FL where he only won by 537.

I’m not doing that again, period.

I view all you Perry pushers as contemptible satraps of a corrupt lightweight.

Texas is the problem, not the solution.

It’ll take a while for blind morons like you to see that, but see it you will.

In the meantime, we’re just gonna whip you, and call it a day.

rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Any day that televangelist TX RINO braggarts get thrown out of an R party by their arms and legs, using their heads to open the door, is a good day.

rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Texas is the problem, not the solution.

rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Considering the status of Texas v. the rest of the country, I’ll stick with what those of your ilk consider the problem.

You are kinda’ fun though, Join chudi and rebar and y’all could be the three stooges of Perry hatin’. Jenfidel and idesign could make appearances as Shemp or Curly Joe.

It’ll take a while for blind morons like you to see that, but see it you will.

In the meantime, we’re just gonna whip you, and call it a day.

Dang, does that mean you don’t like Cain either?

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 7:33 PM

As usual you miss the point badly. What Texas is like today is one thing, what it will be like when my kids are grown is well, something else. To put it nicely.

But I don’t expect you to come within a lightyear of comprehending this.

And you didn’t disappoint me, did you.

You are the standard 10 gallon hat dumbass GOPer from 2006. Totally blind to what is coming.

Dang, does that mean you don’t like Cain either?

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 7:33 PM

what the hell are you talking about?

rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 8:25 PM

rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I’m not a man, and you are about as astute as a sack of hair.

Dr Evil on October 23, 2011 at 8:39 PM

rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 8:25 PM

You are just too smart for me. Perry must be the devil incarnate.

Bless your heart.

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 8:40 PM

For now, you must be defeated, and boy howdy, I’m up for some defeatin’…..

rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM

What are you going to do type some more?

A sanctimonious blowhard says What?

Dr Evil on October 23, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I’m not a man, and you are about as astute as a sack of hair.

Dr Evil on October 23, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Oh, now I see, you’re not a man. Brings a certain passage to mind…

“How do you write women so well?”

….”I think of a man… And then I subtract reason, and accountability….”

Yep, that nails it.

You, my dear, are a shining example of the good the 19th amendment has done for this nation.

…….

……. /s

rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Bless your heart.

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 8:40 PM

You keep that crap-eating grin on your face, texas, and you’ll never have to say you’re sorry……

rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM

rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Aw, kissie-kissie.

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 8:48 PM

clever, I must confess…. wait, what comes from Texas again?

rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Oh, I dunno’, success?

Or maybe you are also homophobic. Maybe that is the source of your irrational Perry hatred. You are one of the nutballs that went all in for the Perry is secretly gay rumor. Or maybe you had a man crush on Perry. And when you found out your love would remain unrequited, your love turned to hate. Heck has no fury like a lover’s scorn. Or something like that.

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 9:08 PM

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Did you read the parade article? It’s linked up top in the headlines.

“Let’s talk a bit more about you. What’s the one sentence that defines you?
He was for freedom. Early in this campaign, I was talking to some people who were fundraisers. One man asked me, “When I go back to my state, what is it I can say about you that describes you?” I said, “You go back and tell them this campaign is about freedom. Freedom from overtaxation, freedom from overlitigation, freedom from overregulation.” It’s stamped in the DNA of the human being to be free”.

I have been looking over Rick Perry’s ancestry, he descends from a Gibson Gaston. The Gaston are an old Huegonot family that moved to South Carolina (Camden District) around 1768. Turns out one of The Gaston were a member of Marion’s Men during the Revolutionary War. Francis Marion the Swamp Fox. James M Gaston brother of Hugh Gaston who was born in 1776 Hanging Rock, Lynch Creek, Lancaster Co.,S.C., and father of Gibson Gaston. Gibson Gaston was a member of the group that became the Texas Rangers, he was also a veteran of the Black Hawk War. The South Carolina Regulator movement was well underway in this area in 1767 they met at Lynch Creek. Another brother William Gaston was at King’s Moutain during the Revolutionary War. This is just one of Rick Perry’s family lines I have been reviewing. Rick Perry has an interesting Family Tree.

Long before the Boston Tea Party, There were the Carolina Regulators- For in this episode of Southern history can be heard some of the earliest drumbeats of the oncoming American Revolution. As a part of the campaign the Gibsons mounted demanding the government restore law and order, they further alienated the British colonial office by witholding their taxes. Hardly a dozen years or so earlier than the Revolution, it was they who started the famous chant, “no taxation without representation,” which would gather momentum through the rest of the states and finally culminate in this country’s great War of Independence. END

Dr Evil on October 23, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Did you read the parade article? It’s linked up top in the headlines.

Dr Evil on October 23, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I skimmed it. I’m not a fan of Perry and have no need to to know his genealogy to decide whether to support him, or not.

I enjoy the entertainment value of the rabid Perry haters. Knowing a little about Texas, and her political history, makes going after the Perry hatin’ nutballs rather easy.

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Dr Evil on October 23, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Thank you for your great posts and comments. As usual, they are always helpful and informative!!!!

It’s too bad that the hateful, negative, unhelpful comments are the majority.

I would love to see a HA feature that we could enter a commenter’s name and it would skip those comments. Similar to the Edit feature of “Find on this page” Until then, I have looked to see the commenter’s name before even reading the comment. Never had to do that before on HA, but find with so many haters, it is now necessary.

Again, thanks for your contributions.

bluefox on October 23, 2011 at 9:20 PM

A lot has been made of Obama’s roots. I think they threw him a parade or something over in some town in Ireland. Anyway there was a photo op of him drinking beer.

Yep he’s gonna keep reminding the electorate, he’s the candidate everyone wants to have a beer with.

Dr Evil on October 23, 2011 at 9:20 PM

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Oh Perry’s linage is going to come into question, remember it’s gonna be blue blood vs commoner, that’s going to be the media’s narrative. Hick vs Sophisticate. Obama thinks he’s going to bluff everyone using OWS – SEE America I am for the common man Mitt Romney represents the money class. Except they both represent the money class.

Perry’s pedigree will come up, it’s already been pointed out he didn’t go to an Ivy League School in New England.

The last beer summit:

“President Obama Has Unemployment Beer Summit With a Man Arrested for DUI” heh!

Dr Evil on October 23, 2011 at 9:27 PM

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I do not find the rabid hateful comments by the Gov. Perry haters entertaining at all. They are a blot and a disgrace to the HA website. If allowed to continue, they will only degrade HA more than has been done so already.

More and more of the intelligent commenters will continue to leave and then what? Ratings are up and they are all hateful? We know a few websites that have already achieved that.

Whether it’s hateful uninformed comments toward any Presidential Candidate or Gov. Perry makes no difference.

bluefox on October 23, 2011 at 9:27 PM

bluefox on October 23, 2011 at 9:27 PM

What are you gonna’ do? Get out the ban hammer for all the nutballs? Then it would be a boring echo chamber of tea sippin’ Emily Post types. Heck, even the tea sippers in Texas are packin’. Show the haters for the petulant children (or Obama plants) that they are. Mock them, ridicule them, sharpen your own debating skills if you want. But, which ever way you go, never fail to call them out as the haters they are. That is much better than a ban hammer.

A self policing community works much better than a forum dictatorship.

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Again, thanks for your contributions.

bluefox on October 23, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Rick Perry really does have an interesting Patriotic family tree. The Gaston family line alone have been fighting for this country since before it was a country. Here is a link to the Gaston of South Carolina many fought in The Revolutionary War their father Robert Gaston also contributed supplies to the American troops – his home was destroyed in the war. If you have ever watched the movie “The Patriot” it’s supposed to be loosely based on Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox, Rev War General South Carolina. These people were fighting the war on their own land.

I remember when there was a this rumor being passed around that Sarah Palin had a Jewish ancestor. Why someone thought that would make a difference to the voters in the run up to the 2008 election, only an Anti Semite would understand.

Dr Evil on October 23, 2011 at 9:43 PM

(or Obama plants) cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 9:38 PM

You can kind of tell who the plants are, they argue like a liberal. Yaywho in this thread is supposed to be some caricature of a typical conservative republican. Doesn’t resemble a conservative male republican, I have ever met.

Dr Evil on October 23, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Dr Evil on October 23, 2011 at 9:55 PM

I caught that back when he only had two “oo’s”. Argues proto-typical conservative yet backs Romney.

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 9:58 PM

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I have come across a few of those commenters lately, they declare they want an extremely conservative candidate, and than they support the squish. Only a Liberal could square that circle LOL!

Dr Evil on October 23, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Dr Evil on October 23, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Thanks for the links and I’m sure I’ll find them good reading. Genealogy is interesting as I’ve done some researching in my own family.

bluefox on October 23, 2011 at 10:15 PM

TriciaNC on October 23, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Appreciated your post and the information provided:-)

bluefox on October 23, 2011 at 10:48 PM

The only place where any news about this moronic birther is taken seriously is Hot Air. Perry Blagojevich is toast.

Falz on October 24, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Falz on October 24, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Not just Hot Air.

A new Super PAC with close ties to Gov. Rick Perry of Texas is laying plans to spend as much as $55 million to help him win the Republican presidential nomination, a sign that outside groups are likely to play a pivotal role in the party’s selection of its presidential candidate.

Dr Evil on October 24, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Falz on October 24, 2011 at 9:19 AM

I guess you are like most Perry haters, a little slooooow. He was declared toast on the previous page.

cozmo on October 24, 2011 at 9:52 AM

cozmo on October 24, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Well, the more the merrier. Perry is toast because he’s an idiot, a liar, corrupted and a liberal.

Falz on October 24, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Well, the more the merrier. Perry Romney is toast because he’s an idiot, a liar, corrupted and a liberal.

Falz on October 24, 2011 at 10:06 AM

FIFY

Dr Evil on October 24, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Falz on October 24, 2011 at 10:06 AM

So predictable.

Bless your Illinois governor lovin’ heart.

cozmo on October 24, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Yes, and a avery large crowd of Catholic clerics and some silent bishops, fawned and honore the largest abortionist president in history -that must mean Obama’s credentials as a pro-life person are solid?

There are pro-lifers and there are pro-lifers and they are not all pro–life!

Some birds fly, some wade, some walk, some swim elegantly, some are pampered and are served for thanksgiving dinner.

Until a politician claims that he underwent a fundamental moral transformation when and where it will not serve his vote count, I remain always distrustful of his public blathering about such beliefs.

Don L on October 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Don L on October 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM

This isn’t a Herman Cain thread.

Dr Evil on October 24, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Don L on October 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM
This isn’t a Herman Cain thread.

Dr Evil on October 24, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I’m genuinely surprized. I would have thought you, above most, would have recognized it as a commment about political deception and not about any one politician.(unless I misunderstood and you were accusing Cain of such chicanery?)

Don L on October 24, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Don L on October 24, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I don’t know that I would use the word “chicanery” Herman Cain wants to have it both ways. But as you have pointed out there are different kinds of birds. You can’t be a Catholic, and be a little pro life – no more than a woman could be a little pregnant.

Herman Cain does have appeal, mostly it’s his plain speaking he’s very good at selling himself. Cain is probably marketing himself the best of all the candidates right now. He’s going to try and down play what doesn’t sell among conservatives.

Rick Perry has always espoused pro life views. Not everyone is going to go through a transformation or conversion. I agree with you about:

There are pro-lifers and there are pro-lifers and they are not all pro–life!

Fox News just had on a democrat pundit, they were discussing Perry’s pro life position. Her reply on his position “Rick Perry hates women” I kid you not. Whoever the republican nominee turns out to be is going up against this leftist mindset. If women are not allowed to abort, that means that nominee hates women. It’s a sick world view. If you are pro
human being that makes you anti woman. The only way for a human being into the world is through a woman. The claim is nonsense but this is the emotional argument they will use on their brainwashed minions.

Dr Evil on October 24, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Perry doesn’t know if Obama’s birth certificate is real. Looks like MSNBC took the Bait.

Dr Evil on October 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM

…we hate…

rightwingyahooo on October 23, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Hateful bigot.

theCork on October 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM

“Last night illustrates that, when he is able to put a little of “who he is” into a speech, he easily overshadows his competitors. Would that he could bring that self to debates”

Actually, Perry’s problem is that he can’t get away from “who he is”, as evidenced by the debates.

whatcat on October 24, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Tell that to Ronald Reagan, who signed a liberal abortion bill as governor of California and then later fought for life.

According to Rick Perry, Ronald Reagan had no core convictions.

scotash on October 24, 2011 at 3:55 PM