Cain obsessed with numerology or something

posted at 1:30 pm on October 23, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

When you claim the mantle of frontrunner status in the presidential primary process you have to expect that you’re going to be drawing some fire. Certainly some of it will come from the other candidates, but the lion’s share will probably come from the media. Herman Cain has definitely demonstrated a talent for putting himself in the media’s cross-hairs, (New Tone, Jazz!) but this has to be one of the silliest attacks I’ve seen yet.

Herman Cain’s Numerology Fixation

Raise your hand if you have a favorite number.

Keep it raised if you believe this number to be your “lucky” number.

Now keep it up only if you think this number has a literal, meaningful, ongoing impact on your life.

Finally, if your hand is still up, ask yourself this: If you were running for president and wrote a campaign book, would you devote an entire chapter to this number, explaining how its frequent appearance in your life signals that you are meant to win and explaining that, though you are “not a devout numerologist,” this number clearly keeps popping up “more than coincidentally”?

If that hand is still raised, it probably means that you are Herman Cain. (Hi, Herman!)

New York Magazine goes even further with this meme, extracting some quotes from that chapter of Cain’s book to explain his “obsession” with the number 45.

• Cain’s “conception, gestation, and birth all occurred within” the year 1945 (his words in quotes).
  • 1945 was also when Reader’s Digest published a version of Austrian free-market economist Friedrich von Hayek’s The Road to Serfdom, one of Cain’s favorite books. (A few other fans of the book: Rick Perry and Glenn Beck.)
  • Assuming Cain does become the 45th President of these United States, he would be inaugurated in 2013, the same year he will be celebrating his 45th wedding anniversary.
  • On one of the last legs of a campaign trip Cain once took, he was traveling on Flight 1045 at an altitude of 45,000 feet.
  • And last but by no means least, it is hard to overlook the fact that Herman Cain’s now-famous 9-9-9 tax slogan, shares a special relationship to the number 45 — just slice it down the middle, add the two numbers together, and, voilà!, you have yourself a nine. (Proof: 4+5=9)

I suppose it’s confession time here. I also have a “magic number” which, for whatever reason, has stuck with me for my entire adult life. And it’s a three digit number to boot. (No… for those of you who regularly suspect me of being either a secret socialist or a devil worshiper, it’s not 666.) I’ve used it for everything from selecting computer passwords to lottery numbers. (On the latter, it clearly wasn’t a stellar choice, as I’m still working for a living.) Would I devote a chapter to it when writing my memoirs? I don’t know about that. It’s rather personal, kind of silly, and not terribly pertinent to the rest of my life. But I’d hardly call it an obsession.

The fact is that you could pick any randomly occurring, short sequence of numbers or letters, and over the course of many decades they will pop up from time if you’re looking for them. And those instances may come at significant times, for good or ill. If Herman Cain wants to take up space in his book sharing his musings on his particular number it may not be terribly interesting or relevant, but it hardly speaks to some deeper issue which would affect his qualifications for office.

While you’re watching football today, feel free to contribute your own secret number. If it pops up as the final score for one of the games Ed predicted today, maybe he’ll give you a free copy of his book. (When he eventually writes one, that is.)

Comments

Confirmed: Cain is the Anti-Christ.

mythicknight on October 23, 2011 at 1:34 PM

“While you’re watching football today, feel free to contribute your own secret number.”

Now that’s just crazy talk…

Seven Percent Solution on October 23, 2011 at 1:35 PM

A math major who’s interested in random number patterns. Wow! That’s weird. The whole thing is a riff on becoming the “45th president.”

Rational Thought on October 23, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Jets 9 – Chargers 45

BELIEVE IT!

BKennedy on October 23, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Was Cain upset when Jordan went from 45 back to 23 after that Game 1 choke in Orlando?

Doughboy on October 23, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Confirmed: Cain is the Anti-Christ.

mythicknight on October 23, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Cain is too dumb to be the Anti-Christ. :-)

Punchenko on October 23, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Is there a game with the over/under as 45 today?

JohnGalt23 on October 23, 2011 at 1:43 PM

He has a degree in math, of course he sees things in terms of numbers.

Thanos on October 23, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I can think of a Magic Number to associate with Michelle Cottle’s goofy Daily Beast’s Herman Cain hit piece here, namely Number Two!

pilamaye on October 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM

He forgot .45
FAIL

Kenosha Kid on October 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Jazz pumping The Daily Beast’s meme at Hotair. Nice.

Jason Coleman on October 23, 2011 at 1:53 PM

but by no means least, it is hard to overlook the fact that Herman Cain’s now-famous 9-9-9 tax slogan, shares a special relationship to the number 45 — just slice it down the middle, add the two numbers together, and, voilà!, you have yourself a nine. (Proof: 4.5+4.5=9)

FIFH. big deal, most folks have a thing for a certain number, especially mathematicians.

AH_C on October 23, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Boy, they’re really reaching. Is it the Bible Code or the Davinci code? Or maybe he’s a Pythagorean!

Has anybody done this to Obama? I’m guessing his number is 0. Remember, it’s a magic digit, a placeholder.

flataffect on October 23, 2011 at 1:56 PM

42.

juliesa on October 23, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Cain is too dumb to be the Anti-Christ. :-)

Punchenko on October 23, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Ouch.

Abby Adams on October 23, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Jazz pumping The Daily Beast’s meme at Hotair. Nice.

Jason Coleman on October 23, 2011 at 1:53 PM

And next week it’ll be the Cain/Dan Savage crap.

Knucklehead on October 23, 2011 at 1:57 PM

42.

juliesa on October 23, 2011 at 1:56 PM

How many roads must a man walk down before you call him a man?

What do you get when you multiply 6 times 9?

JohnGalt23 on October 23, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Cain is also a 32nd degree Mason and a member of the Bilderburg World Tribunal.

I have no proof of that I’m just saying that’s the spin from the Alex Jones media in 5…..4…..3…..

BTW,
As Carter gave us our first Radical regime in Iran in 1978….behold our 2nd Carter term gives us not one but now looking like a MINIMUM of THREE new Islamic radical states (Libya, Tunisia, and Egypt with Al-Sadr Iraq coming soon, and maybe Yemen and Syria as a bonus).

Wait did I just post that? sorry…..I meant to say….

OBAMA 2012

PappyD61 on October 23, 2011 at 2:01 PM

And next week it’ll be the Cain/Dan Savage crap.

Knucklehead on October 23, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Please God no. Dan Savage makes Bill Maher look measured and reserved.

Meh on October 23, 2011 at 2:03 PM

42.

juliesa on October 23, 2011 at 1:56 PM

And here I thought nob0dy would would figure it out

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Althouse thinks this is a big deal.

exdeadhead on October 23, 2011 at 2:09 PM

My favorite number is 1776.

OhioCoastie on October 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Althouse thinks this is a big deal.

exdeadhead on October 23, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I seem to recall that she was pretty high on “Hope and Change” once upon a time as well.

Take it for what it cost you.

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 2:13 PM

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Cain’s personal fascination with numerical coincidence forms a null set a.k.a. zero.

exdeadhead on October 23, 2011 at 2:18 PM

And here is a follow up to that question: Would you ever devote a chapter to it if you were running for President, and said memoirs were meant to introduce you to the country?

Lawdawg86 on October 23, 2011 at 2:24 PM

I like the number 1.

As in 1 term.

SEE: OBAMA.

profitsbeard on October 23, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I like the number 1.

As in 1 term.

SEE: OBAMA.

profitsbeard on October 23, 2011 at 2:25 PM

You are dangerously close to getting sued by Bachmann for trademark infringement.

Lawdawg86 on October 23, 2011 at 2:28 PM

At least Cain isn’t a Mormon.

Bishop on October 23, 2011 at 2:30 PM

I have many favorite numbers, all of which have a “.” before them.

Bishop on October 23, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I have many favorite numbers, all of which have a “.” before them.

Bishop on October 23, 2011 at 2:31 PM

You are the 99×10^-2!

Lawdawg86 on October 23, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I have many favorite numbers, all of which have a “.” before them.

Bishop on October 23, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I pictured you as a negative numbers kind of guy.

But that’s better than the one’s I picture as preferring irrational numbers.

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 2:39 PM

45 + 54 (the mirror image of 45) = 99. As in 99%. Are we sure Cain isn’t the mirror image of how he presents himself, and that he isn’t an OWS trojan horse? Numbers don’t lie y’all.

Lawdawg86 on October 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM

They will tell you whom they fear.

Key West Reader on October 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM

They will tell you whom they fear.

Key West Reader on October 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM

As one of the most popular folks here would tell you…Count it!

cozmo on October 23, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I like 14 and 17, my hockey numbers from way back.
Wasn’t Louis Farrakhan into the number 19?
Was it a coincidence that there were 19 highjackers on 9-11?

Pervygrin on October 23, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Yikes! I was born in 1954, so I guess that makes me the anti-Cain?

karl9000 on October 23, 2011 at 2:59 PM

At least he’s not obsessed with fundamentally transforming America.

BitterClinger on October 23, 2011 at 3:04 PM

A schmorgasbord of Cain attacks by the Left.

They will tell you whom they fear.

Key West Reader on October 23, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Confirmed: New York Magazine driven insane by liberal delusion of intelligence.

pat on October 23, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Cain is also a mathematician

tarpon on October 23, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Number 44 has 0 chance of beating number 45.

Viator on October 23, 2011 at 4:20 PM

At least Cain knows how to do arithmetic. That makes him a major improvement of the current, numerically illiterate occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania ave.

bitsy on October 23, 2011 at 4:21 PM

All, and I mean all mathematicians, are a little screwy when it comes to numbers. They inherently believe that the Supreme Being is a mathematician, and if they do enough calculations, they will figure out the hidden messages in the universe.

You have guys running super computers trying to figure out patterns to prime numbers. Could be doing something useful like predicting the winning numbers for the Powerball.

patch on October 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM

A Beautiful Mind?

AnotherOpinion on October 23, 2011 at 5:28 PM

My son was born weighing 7 pounds 11 ounces. My nephew was born at 11 minutes after 7. My daughter was born on July 11 (7/11). So I like 7/11 (not the store, that’s just OK). It is all coincidence but it is a fun factoid.

KW64 on October 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Cain is too dumb to be the Anti-Christ.

Punchenko on October 23, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Cain is too dumb to be the Anti-Christ. period…

stacman on October 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Good thing he didn’t paint the shocking & offending Satanic 40something-number-word on a rock at his place!

whatcat on October 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM