Cain clarifies again: Abortion shouldn’t be legal, but some families might decide to break the law anyway

posted at 5:10 pm on October 21, 2011 by Allahpundit

A better answer than yesterday’s spin attempt but Mediaite is right that it still doesn’t jibe with what he said to Piers Morgan. Then:

No, it comes down to is, it’s not the government’s role — or anybody else’s role — to make that decision. Secondly, if you look at the statistical incidents, you’re not talking about that big a number. So what I’m saying is, it ultimately gets down to a choice that that family or that mother has to make. Not me as president. Not some politician. Not a bureaucrat. It gets down to that family. And whatever they decide, they decide. I shouldn’t try to tell them what decision to make for such a sensitive decision…

The government shouldn’t be trying to tell people everything to do, especially when it comes to a social decision that they need to make.

Now:

Look, abortion should not be legal. That is clear. But if that family makes the decision to break the law, that’s that family’s decision. That’s all I’m trying to say.

Big difference between (a) the government shouldn’t tell you what to do about “sensitive” social decisions and (b) the government should tell you what to do by criminalizing one of your options. In fact, per Christian Heinze at the The Hill and Philip Klein at the Examiner, even in today’s answer there’s an element of choice insofar as Cain suggests that a pregnant woman might end up breaking the law to get an illegal abortion. That’s, er, true — some of them would end up doing that — but it’s an odd note for a man in his position to sound. Rarely do would-be presidents acknowledge lawbreaking as an option in any context, however disapprovingly. (Klein, applying Cain’s logic, goofs, “Theft should not be legal, but if a family decides they have to steal, that’s their decision.”) And rarely do pro-lifers suggest that criminal penalties might not be much of a deterrent. The whole point of the movement is to de-normalize abortion itself, not to lock up practitioners as punishment for what they’ve done. The more “normal” it is to carry out illegal abortions, whatever the penalty later, the greater the setback to the pro-life cause. Cain inadvertently injects a bit of that normalization here.

The good news is, now that he’s spent two days answering questions on this, sheer media fatigue with the subject will probably mean no new interrogations about it next week. New pressure will have to come from the other candidates like Michele Bachmann, who called his position “pro-abortion”(!) earlier today. Exit question: Will any of this end up doing damage to Cain’s polls? My experience with Cain fans in the comments here is that they’re extremely — extremely — loyal. Not quite as loyal as Palinistas are to Palin, maybe, but they’re getting there. Patience.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

AP continues his full-court press

pseudonominus on October 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Just stop talking Mr Cain.

Best advice I can give you!

sharrukin on October 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

MR. Cain…abortion is wrong period. Legal or not, you should know this, you were a preacher.

milwife88 on October 21, 2011 at 5:14 PM

He really needs to be careful on this, or he’ll have no capital with which to attack Romney as a flip-flopper.

fiatboomer on October 21, 2011 at 5:14 PM

He’s once again as clear as the Mississippi River below St. Louis.

Kermit on October 21, 2011 at 5:15 PM

He’s right… it should be illegal and if he’s smart, he’ll cite this case.

Key West Reader on October 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM

All right, can y’all who have been trying to avoid supporting Mitt Romney just suck it up and admit none of these other jokers are ready for prime time?

Enrique on October 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Herman needs to take a few days off and regroup before the cut of his jib scuttles his boat.

FlatFoot on October 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM

AP continues his full-court press

pseudonominus on October 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Sorry about that. I’ll do a “full-court press” on a candidate you don’t like next week to make you happy.

Incidentally, does it matter that this “full-court press” is being driven entirely by statements/interviews given by Cain himself? He says something about abortion; I flag it and add some comments; and suddenly it’s a full-court press by … me, not him.

Allahpundit on October 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

So, whose decision is it again? The apple’s or the orange’s?

JohnGalt23 on October 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Just like his pizza, Cain puts little thought into the finished product, just throwing stuff together. In both cases the end results are hard to stomach.

Joe Mama on October 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

In 2012, the only abortion i care about is the one who resides in the white house.

lorien1973 on October 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Or in continuing bait for comment:

What Cain said to clarify what he said the other day is not consistent with what he said the other day – even though by clarifying it I should probably realize that what he initially said was not his position – thus why he is clarifying it.

I eagerly await the cavalcade of comments from the usual suspects towing around the same hobby horses they have for a while, producing nothing.

So there you have it, Cain does not want abortion to be legal, is pro-life, and when asked to clarify he does so within what is usually less than a day.

I eagerly await tomorrows post: “Cain clarifies again- again: I was not endorsing people breaking the law to get an abortion when I said some people would choose that anyway.

Subtitle: Bleeding obvious but I’m fishing for comments on a Saturday

BKennedy on October 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Enrique on October 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Why I think that Ron Paul, his plan to balance the budget, and his clear pro-life stand are all very Presidential…

JohnGalt23 on October 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Only a Perry apologist would claim that Cain is a pro-life candidate. The man is a pastor, who has stated many time that he is pro-life. the guy goes around saying that being gay is a choice, but all of a sudden…he is pro-abortion.

What kind of stupidity is this. Obama is trying to destroy this country, and this crap is what hotair is promoting. I have always know that this site is n the tank for Perry, but I didn’t know how far they will go to prop him up.

Nonsense.

Chudi on October 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Loyal or not, how is what he saying any different than what Mitt Romney said?

The only diff between Cain’s views and Mitt’s is that Mitt took years to change positions and Cain took, what, a couple days?

I’m no fan of Mitt, and boy do I like the idea of Cain, but he keeps screwing up principles too much for me to trust him.

Honestly, if he’s principled, he wouldn’t have to be backpedaling anything. I expect this kind of behavior from Romney, not Cain.

apollyonbob on October 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM

“… sheer media fatigue with the subject will probably mean no new interrogations about it next week.”

Surely you jest, Allah…

… (I know, I know, stop calling you Shirley)

Seven Percent Solution on October 21, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Enrique on October 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM

There’s still Ron Paul, Santorum, and Newt… or the telephone book. We haven’t looked there yet, so we have a ways to go.

sharrukin on October 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM

His campaign better get him on a shorter leash or he’ll implode by Christmas.

tommyboy on October 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Gosh, Mr. Cain did you ever take time and think about this issue?

That is, read about it, have a conversation with people?

It really looks like he’s never considered this topic in his life.

SteveMG on October 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM

and suddenly it’s a full-court press by … me, not him.
Allahpundit on October 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Can’t u find something else to talk about, AP?? Looks like you are just looking for traffic …u must really miss SP, another one you liked to skewer.

gracie on October 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Yeah, that’s why we’ve suppressed all criticism of Perry’s moronic “heartless” gaffe, his terrible debate performances, etc. You’ve never read a harsh word about that on this site. Ever.

You’re a Romney supporter, aren’t you, Chudi? Wouldn’t a Romney supporter much prefer to face Cain in a showdown that the better funded, more experienced Perry? But, see, I’m the one who has the agenda here. Not you.

Allahpundit on October 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM

AP continues his full-court press
pseudonominus on October 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Nah, it called “going green”; recycling for comments. The only thing AP missed was adding this at page top.

whatcat on October 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I’m still amazed that anyone really gives a damn. Abortion is not going to be outlawed in the near future, and definitely not in the next four years, no matter who is president. The questions should be focused on the economy, on government spending, on our multiple military engagements…things that will affect us and are subject to change every year.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Well, Cain is determined to crash. If he does that, who do the ideologues turn to? Yep….Newt. And when Newt crashes, and he will, what happens then? Santorum? Paul? Neither can beat Obama.

Nope, if Cain loses it, everyone goes to Romney.

I am going to start a company that provides the Official Mitt Romney 2012 Election Booth Barf Bag. I’ll make millions! lol

csdeven on October 21, 2011 at 5:24 PM

sharrukin on October 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM

LMAO!

Punchenko on October 21, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Cain…..step off the third rail buddy.

Focus on the Economy

Opposite Day on October 21, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Chudi on October 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM

What are you talking about? HA has advertised all of Perry’s various missteps, from “heartless” to Gardasil and beyond. Not the only person I’ve seen make this claim, and it’s baffling, though I will admit Tina seems enamored with him.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:25 PM

What an ignorant statement. THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.

Yes … Human beings have free will. They can choose to follow laws or break them.

“If a guy makes a decision to break the law and smoke marijuana – that’s his decision.”

“If a guy makes a decision to break the law and rape a woman – that’s his decision.”

Please man – what universe did this idiot come from?

HondaV65 on October 21, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Allahpundit on October 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Next week take a hatchet to Romney then. yay!

pseudonominus on October 21, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Hey I don’t know about the rest of you … obviously intelligent, reasonable people … But I’m actually QUITE interested to hear about the things Cain, as the newest possible frontrunner, is saying.

Maybe the rest of you want to go to some website and just read crap that reinforces your … well thought out, reasoned opinions … but me, I’d rather go to a site that reports on what’s happening in the political sphere.

So … shaddup about AP posting this or that. It’s not only frakking annoying, but … Actually that’s pretty much it. It’s really, really annoying.

I mean, you know they judge success by pageviews and comments right? You are literally making this article more successful by posting about how you don’t want this article to be here.

apollyonbob on October 21, 2011 at 5:26 PM

oy vey vey vey vey vey vey vey vey

Jeddite on October 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM

apollyonbob on October 21, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I have never questioned the efficacy with which Allahpundit does his job.

He is the puppetmaster and we are pinnochio.

He can stay for another week.

BKennedy on October 21, 2011 at 5:28 PM

His campaign better get him on a shorter leash or he’ll implode by Christmas.

tommyboy on October 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I don’t think Cain has a campaign.

pseudonominus on October 21, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Nope, if Cain loses it, everyone goes to Romney.

csdeven on October 21, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Romney can’t beat Obama.

Punchenko on October 21, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Cain 2012: You Do What You Gotta Do

Lawdawg86 on October 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Oh, dear Lord. *facepalm*

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM

One more clarification and I think he’ll have covered every possible possition.

I like Cain, but this is making him look foolish.

Scrappy on October 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:23 PM

You just put forth a very good answer.

So when Cain was asked this question – why didn’t he give an articulate answer like you did? Why didn’t he incorporate those elements into his answer?

Had he given an eloquent answer – this would have been a non-issue. All the candidates running claim to be Pro-Life, yet they aren’t being grilled on what their position is.

Cain IS being grilled because he couldn’t articulate a coherent position – and because of that, the whole abortion controversy now comes up for greater scrutiny.

This was an unforced error on Cain. He should have just said … “I’m Pro-Life except in the case of (list exceptions if any)” – and then told Wolf to move to the next question – or he could have just answered the question the way you did above MadCon.

HondaV65 on October 21, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I’m still amazed that anyone really gives a damn. Abortion is not

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Yah, exactly!! But AP and TK keep baiting everybody and all the rabid pro-lifers and Cain-haters bite. I think they like the traffic now that SP is history.

gracie on October 21, 2011 at 5:30 PM

1. Making abortion illegal isn’t going to stop the practice any more than it stops prostitution. It simply means the mob and other unsavory characters are going to find a market niche. Legality simply creates a barrier of entry to keep out competition for those who aren’t worried about performing them even if they are against the law.

2. I think communities should be free to express their values in their local laws. Other than simply not providing funds for abortion services. the federal government should get its nose out of the question altogether. We don’t need conservatives worried that liberals will shove their values down the entire nation’s throat from Washington DC, nor do we need liberals afraid Conservatives are going to do the same.

This is exactly one of those issues that makes politics at the federal level so divisive and it goes against the basic notions of how this country was founded. These should be questions the states, or even better, the localities should debate. This is not a question for the national capital.

If you want to make abortion against the law in your state, by all means fight for that but what works for Oklahoma might not work for New York and to have national policy that is basically a reflection of cultural values is not only dumb, it is destructive of our federal government.

crosspatch on October 21, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Oh my.

gophergirl on October 21, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Gosh, Mr. Cain did you ever take time and think about this issue?

That is, read about it, have a conversation with people?

It really looks like he’s never considered this topic in his life.

SteveMG on October 21, 2011

I’m sure he has considered the issue. And I am also sure that he is, himself, pro-life. What he obviously hasn’t considered are all of the political and societal ramifications of taking a pro-life position that you believe should be imposed on all of society, because you believe abortion is murder. If you seek to be President it seems to me that you should be absolutely crystal clear about the entire spectrum of this very emotional issue.

JonPrichard on October 21, 2011 at 5:32 PM

There. Ya happy now, AP?..here they come again: honda, piglet,punch and girly.

gracie on October 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Future HotAir headlines:

Cain attended Antioch Baptist Church in Atlanta as a child where rumors are he didn’t close his eyes every time during prayer

Cain once ordered a pizza from Domino’s while he was CEO of Godfather’s

Cain has said that as he was growing up, his family was “poor” but “happy”, but reports say sometimes he was actually unhappy

Cain’s father was a chauffeur for Coca-Cola president Robert Woodruff, but some say he secretly drank Pepsi

SirGawain on October 21, 2011 at 5:35 PM

National Right to Life has come out and said that Herman is fully pro-life. They mention all the support and work he has done for the cause of life.

squeek71 on October 21, 2011 at 5:35 PM

SP: Miss me yet…?

d1carter on October 21, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Why not just answer…

It’s above my pay grade.”

Seven Percent Solution on October 21, 2011 at 5:36 PM

JonPrichard on October 21, 2011 at 5:32 PM

This is something that mystifies me. Cain ran for president in 2000 and he’s been a talk show host. Then he decided to run in in 2012.
How can he not know even the basic questions?

sharrukin on October 21, 2011 at 5:36 PM

HondaV65 on October 21, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Because I’m a dips**t on the internet, typing at my leisure, not under pressure, not on the national stage, not needing to perfectly articulate an answer on the fly. If I had to meet those conditions, I’d probably make more mistakes. Reason? I’m not a lifelong politician, whose primary skill is to manufacture 10-30 second sound bytes.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Maybe we should get the interviewers to ask Herman easier questions instead of questions about core beliefs. Maybe we should ask questions like: What is your favorite color, Mr. Cain? How is your day going today, Mr. Cain? Who would you pick to serve in the position of… oh, wait — that’s too difficult. Forget that question and all that fuss about appointments. What is your favorite television sitcom, Mr. Cain?

Punchenko on October 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Allahpundit on October 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

All candidates talk on the same hot topics every day on the stump with none of them reading verbatim from a script, so there is a natural variance of language. A person could obsess with any one of the candidates and try all manner of is-is dissections of what single every word might really mean, but one senses there are many bigger fish with some real meat on ‘em to fry somewhere in the news.

whatcat on October 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Nope, if Cain loses it, everyone goes to Romney.

csdeven on October 21, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Mitt as my default candidate? Just like McCain. You’re probably right. Why should things be different this time? I kinda had hopes there for awhile. Oh well, A GOP Congress and an Obama WH in 2012 is better than 2008.

a capella on October 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Herb, Herb, Herb, stick to: “I’m 100% pro life. End of story”…and every time someone ask anything related to abortion always repeat: “I’m 100% pro life. End of story”.

Falz on October 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Gosh, Mr. Cain did you ever take time and think about this issue?

That is, read about it, have a conversation with people?

It really looks like he’s never considered this topic in his life.

SteveMG on October 21, 2011

I’ve had a number of conversations with people about my position on abortion, and it never gets any easier. If you have the luxury of simply being able to say “it should remain legal” or “it should be outlawed”, you’re golden.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Ok, Herman, I like you a lot and think you’re our best shot out of this bunch, but stop digging the hole man. It’s been a bad week, so take the weekend off and regroup.

CrankyTRex on October 21, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Mitt as my default candidate? Just like McCain. You’re probably right.

a capella on October 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Wanna buy a barf bag? lol

csdeven on October 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM

gracie on October 21, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I can’t help but notice that the Cain criticism really exploded after Sarah’s announcement. Not making an accusation, but just observing a coincidence.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM

crosspatch on October 21, 2011

Although I generally agree with your post on most issues, I can’t agree with you on the issue of abortion. I can’t agree because I believe, by science and morality, that abortion is murder of an innocent human being. Being such, murder can’t be something one state can allow, and another can’t. If you’re making the argument that states can decide what the punishment should be, then I agree. Every state has its own policies on how to punish murderers.

I also don’t agree with your first point regarding whether making abortions illegal is any deterrent. History tells us that it is. Before Roe V. Wade, there were thousands of abortions every decade. After, there are millions.

JonPrichard on October 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Romney can’t beat Obama.

Punchenko on October 21, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Romney will beat Obama.

Hey, that’s a fun game! Lets play again!

csdeven on October 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Enrique on October 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Can ya’ll who keep trying to bully others into supporting a socialized medicine pioneer wake the hell up?

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM

This shall be just another time where I must disagree with you MadCon, in that you are not a dips**t at all. I resonate with the sentiments though. It’s easy to articulate a position when it’s just yourself, or when it’s a small scale. When you’re being inquired as a potential President of the United States, and you’re a decent, honest person who fundamentally doesn’t want any official’s position, including their own, to be a sweeping mandate, you can sometimes get lost in the gravity of it all.

BKennedy on October 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Allahpundit on October 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Yes, I am a Romney supporter. I have never hid that fact. I like him a lot, and I think he’s the best candidate. I also like Cain and all the other candidates. The only one I detest is Rick Perry.

This race was civil, until Perry came into the race. Rick Santorum attacks people…he has attacked Romney on his Romneycare deal, but he never made it personal like Perry has.

For some reason, you guys seem to forget the day this whole race changed. That was the day Rick perry sent out his pastor to say that mormonism is a cult. That was the day the tenor of this whole campaign changed, and this site has been trying to prop up Rick perry ever since.

I like all our candidates, except for Rick Perry. That man is a moron, and is just disgusting personally, and I will continue to bring attention to the fact that this site has been running interference for him in my opinion for a while now.

Chudi on October 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Because I’m a dips**t on the internet…
MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM

HONESTY! How refreshing!!

You should run for office. You could be the new Herman Cain with your gaffes refreshing honesty and lack of political experience.

Punchenko on October 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Everytime Cain has to clarify his statments, Bunnies begin melting in microwaves all over America.

portlandon on October 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Cain apparently hasn’t learned the First Rule of Holes: Quit Diggin’!

TXUS on October 21, 2011 at 5:43 PM

HONESTY! How refreshing!!

Punchenko on October 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM

If you would admit to being nothing but a troll attacking Cain and anyone who supports him, you’d have even more refreshment.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:43 PM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:43 PM

You left the door wide open and I couldn’t resist. I’m sorry. :-)

Punchenko on October 21, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I’ve had a number of conversations with people about my position on abortion,

Sure, my views on it have changed over the years as well. And if I was to be challenged on it, I’d certainly stumble and get crossed up.

But if you’re running for office and need to answer the question you need to stick with an answer. It’s called being prepped or prepared.

He’s all over the place.

SteveMG on October 21, 2011 at 5:46 PM

How ‘dem recall efforts going anyway, MadCon? Is Scott Walker still the spawn of Satan?

BKennedy on October 21, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Romney will beat Obama.

Hey, that’s a fun game! Lets play again!

csdeven on October 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM

OK, friend! Romney will not beat Obama.

Punchenko on October 21, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Chudi on October 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I don’t know why I’m bothering but here goes nothing.

That Pastor is not Rick Perry’s pastor. He did not send him “out”.

I would correct you on all of your other misconceptions but I’m afraid debating with you causes people to lose IQ points.

gophergirl on October 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Allahpundit on October 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

You hit ‘em in the sweet spot! Excellent.

Some of us actually appreciate the skills you display. For those that don’t, just make ‘em a target.

platypus on October 21, 2011 at 5:49 PM

OK, friend! Romney will not beat Obama.

Punchenko on October 21, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Romney will beat Obama, but keep John Holdren as Science Czar, as he enjoys the advice of comic book villains.

BKennedy on October 21, 2011 at 5:49 PM

What is it 50 million legal abortions since 1972 in the US?

Every abortion takes 2 to make and destroy. Then 2 sets of parents who might be involved. Then at least 1 doctor and nurse per abortion. So 50 million x 8= a whole lot of jails we can’t afford building.

But those were legal because of SCOTUS.

Now we want (yes, I want) to make it illegal but you have 50 million x 8 who did the same thing and are innocent in the eyes of the law.

The best answer I can come up with is-no money to Planned Parenthood/any abortion doctor/clinic and doctors an having the right to refuse to do an abortion, and allowing health plans that don’t cover abortions and educate, love and help.

journeyintothewhirlwind on October 21, 2011 at 5:49 PM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Yup…looking for traffic…dissection of Mitt’s 59 point plan sure won’t do it. Or Newt’s 1 millionth idea either.

gracie on October 21, 2011 at 5:49 PM

What should the punishment be for the woman getting an illegal abortion?

A woman who kills an infant would be charged with first-degree murder and probably spend life in prison.

Since there is zero difference between killing an infant an an embyro, shouldn’t the woman be charged with the same crime?

Can’t let psychopathic murderers roam the streets free now can we.

Pablo Honey on October 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM

BKennedy on October 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Exactly. This isn’t a guy who has spent his life preparing to be president, and, I thought, that’s what conservatives have been wanting. I find greater consternation at the notion that he’s not articulate. This man is articulate, and that was years before he ran for office. Maybe participating in the political process saps clear thinking. All I know is that if I tried posing the same question to Clinton, I’d have made Miss South Carolina sound erudite.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM

gophergirl on October 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Chudi sees everything through race tinged glasses. Nothing you can do about it. We’ve tried to help him, but, alas, he enjoys the way he is.

a capella on October 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Wow, the media and AP are really trying to bend over backwards to make this an issue, when they really don’t have a logical argument against Cain on this.

Cain is Pro-Life.

Cain is against using the Executive to set abortion policy.

Cain WOULD sign anti-abortion legislation if it is presented to him.

Cain recognizes that merely making abortion illegal will not end abortion completely.

Cain recognizes that if abortion were made illegal, there would still be those who seek an illegal abortion.

Cain’s recognizing that people will break the law does not make him supportive of lawbreakers, it just means he recognizes that there will be lawbreakers. That’s actually more being more realistic than most candidates ever are.

It seems like AP and some others are trying to suggest that merely designating it as illegal it would stop and no one would choose to seek an illegal abortion. Further, that recognizing that people will choose to break the law, somehow makes breaking the law “normal”; that’s just not logical.

Abortion has been going on since before mankind settled into permanent settlements. Societies can either take steps to encourage it’s availability or discourage its availability, that’s it, society can NEVER stop abortion 100%, there will ALWAYS be people who seek it out, legal or illegal.

What the “movement” wants is immaterial when you are the Chief Executive. The Chief Executive is there to administer the law, not create it, and certainly not to advance a societal movement by decree.

Jason Coleman on October 21, 2011 at 5:51 PM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM

We as a voting electorate have made these 30 second soundbites the be all, end all litmus test for our politicians. This is why we get people people like Romney, whose polished antics masks his terrible policies.

The electorate are always looking for the “shiny” thing, instead of what is best for us.

Herman Cain doesn’t help himself though. I wish he would put more thought into some of the stuff he says.

portlandon on October 21, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Second look at….

OMG

Nessuno on October 21, 2011 at 5:52 PM

BKennedy on October 21, 2011 at 5:46 PM

They don’t get to start collecting signatures for another few weeks yet. My guess: they’ll get enough, because 40% of them will be fraudulent…the GOP will try to verify them and be told that since they got voter ID, they’ll have to put up with other types of fraud…the vote will be taken, and fail, with Walker getting over 60% of the vote. The Walker hatred just ain’t been the same since school districts have been hiring more teachers, thanks to the collective bargaining bill.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Pablo Honey on October 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Pablo,

I’ve got a document for you to reference, it’s called the Constitution.

The questions you ask are appropriate for Congress, not the President.

Jason Coleman on October 21, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Stick to your guns AP.

If you try to fake it, it’ll show up and people will leave.

Whatever hits you lose by posting on matters like this will be tenfold or more if you pull back.

Call it the way you see it.

As your favorite (or one of them) writer Christopher Hitchens says, “Principles and not people.”

It’s one of the few things he says that I agree with.

SteveMG on October 21, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Pablo Honey on October 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM

yah, let’s put her and the pharmacist in jail for the morning after pill cause she’s shedding the bed where the embro will lay.
Mitt got into trouble with this the other day.

gracie on October 21, 2011 at 5:54 PM

:-p

SouthernGent on October 21, 2011 at 5:54 PM

portlandon on October 21, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Big question: would conservatives be more satisfied if he just answered every question by repeating “9-9-9″ several times and smiling?

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:54 PM

That Pastor is not Rick Perry’s pastor. He did not send him “out”.

gophergirl on October 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM

If you think that BlagoPerrych didn’t know what HIS SURROGATE was going to say, then you are either naive or slow.

Falz on October 21, 2011 at 5:54 PM

OK, friend! Romney will not beat Obama.

Punchenko on October 21, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Romney will beat Obama!

Back at cha!

:-)

csdeven on October 21, 2011 at 5:55 PM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM

He’s articulate, but he appears to not anticipate key policy questions before they are asked. He has to correct that and be more prepared. That’s why he gives the impression of shooting from the hip, then having to reclarify. Just anticipate and prepare better.

a capella on October 21, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Gosh, Mr. Cain did you ever take time and think about this issue?

That is, read about it, have a conversation with people?

It really looks like he’s never considered this topic in his life.

SteveMG on October 21, 2011

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2011 at 5:38 PM

And even if you could go with the carved in granite either/or I suspect there are bloggers who would read something into it to expound on ad infinitum.
;-D

whatcat on October 21, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Falz on October 21, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Proof? Evidence? Linkypoo?

a capella on October 21, 2011 at 5:57 PM

journeyintothewhirlwind on October 21, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Ex post facto criminal punishment is unconstitutional.

Your points are moot.

Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3.

Jason Coleman on October 21, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Jason Coleman on October 21, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I really like you, Mr. Coleman. You go out of your way everyday to find the most shameless ways to defend the indefensible. You, sir, have a very, very bright future in Washington.

Some of us would like Herman to appoint pro-life judges to overturn Roe v. Wade. Sadly, however, Cain said he believes the government has no role in such matters, and Cain would most likely appoint judges that share his view on abortion.

Fail.

Punchenko on October 21, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Entrapment end of story.

Retreat, regroup, rethink and attack, hit’em on the end, hit’em hard, when they turn to attack leave, regroup…

Speakup on October 21, 2011 at 6:01 PM

It really looks like he’s never considered this topic in his life.

SteveMG on October 21, 2011

Yep. One would think that his campaign would have had him prepped on this issue. Amateurish.

CW on October 21, 2011 at 6:02 PM

apollyonbob on October 21, 2011 at 5:26 PM

By talking facts, you’re making lots of idiots’ heads hurt. Badly. I hope you’re happy about that. I know I am.

platypus on October 21, 2011 at 6:02 PM

That Pastor is not Rick Perry’s pastor. He did not send him “out”.

gophergirl on October 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Falz on October 21, 2011 at 5:54 PM

The thing with the problem pastor/Perry is ongoing, the “Rev” is still popping off about it. Perry’s very lucky that, so far, the media hasn’t gotten into the pastor’s issues with Catholics. The Mormons got off light compared to his vitriol against Catholic folk.

whatcat on October 21, 2011 at 6:02 PM

But, see, I’m the one who has the agenda here. Not you.

Allahpundit on October 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM