New Perry ad: That Romney’s kind of a liar, ain’t he?

posted at 10:00 am on October 20, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Remember when this election was going to be all about jobs and the economy? Good times, good times.  Just hours after the Mitt Romney campaign released — and then apparently pulled — an ad that accused Rick Perry of being a moron, Team Perry hits back with a 60-second spot calling Romney a liar.

Remember when both men positioned themselves as men of faith?  Good times, good times:

The statement from Perry’s campaign was rather terse:

The Perry campaign today released a video highlighting Mitt Romney’s ongoing efforts to mislead the American people regarding his support for Obamacare and knowingly hiring illegal immigrants to tend his lawn and tennis court.

Well, why not?  It’s become obvious that both men want to go for the jugular in this battle, but what I can’t quite figure out is why Romney’s playing this game at all.  Going after Perry this hard elevates Perry back into the position of being Romney’s chief rival — and a potential rallying point for conservatives looking to defeat Romney.  While Perry clearly has trouble in debates, he’s a fundraising juggernaut, and that’s going to be more dangerous to Romney in the long run.

Both men will end up getting damaged in this exchange, which again prompts the question of who will actually benefit from this mudslinging contest.  It could be Herman Cain, although his answers on 9-9-9 and on dealing with terrorists have people questioning his seriousness.  It may be that Republican voters will start turning more towards the man who has made the case throughout all of the debates that Republicans should be focusing on Barack Obama and not each other.  Who could have predicted that Newt Gingrich would have become the candidate of positive politics?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

whatcat is the same way, just bashes Perry no matter what link or proof you supply. His biggest trick is to have you do all the research and provide links for each comment he makes since he thinks you have to prove to him that he is not correct, LOL
bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I see your still absolutely livid that I asked you to provide evidence for your claim that Perry said he was sorry for attacking Republicans as “heartless”. Still waiting on that, by the way. Maybe you misplaced it next to your evidence for Bigfoot and Elvis being alive? That happens, I suppose.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 1:36 PM

‘Bout frickin’ time. Mitt’s been getting a free pass this whole campaign and sure as hell wasn’t shy about attacking others, including Perry upon his entry into the race. Now the shoe is on the other foot, and it’s about time because there is no way in hell we want this soulless plastic Ken Doll to be our nominee. Even if Perry doesn’t get it, I hope he does enough of this to destroy Romney’s chances.

“I’m running for office, for Pete’s sake, I can’t have illegals.”

That’s statement is Mitt Romney’s political career in a nutshell.

thirteen28 on October 20, 2011 at 1:36 PM

We know, we know, you are a racist moron Romney lover who prays to rocks for divine racist words of wisdom.
cozmo on October 20, 2011 at 12:25 PM

A twofer for cozmo, both them thar uppity black folks for simply expressing an opinion and them thar Moooormons.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 1:39 PM

How many illegals are on your state payroll, ie work for you, Mr. Perry? A lot more then ever worked on Romney’s lawn, that’s for sure.

Rebar on October 20, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Do you have some numbers on how many illegals work for the state of Texas? I’m betting zero, and unless you have some numbers, your assumption makes no sense.

juliesa on October 20, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Just ignore him. He knows nothing about Texas, or our unique problem on the border. There are a lot of Texas haters on this blog these days, just because they don’t like Perry, they’re taking it out on the whole State. It’s not worth arguing with a man who insists he is right even when he’s wrong.

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Just because Perry makes it hard to defend him, don’t take it out on me.

Fact: E-Verify works. Fact: Perry refused to impliment E-Verify for Texas state employees. Facts.

Another fact: Texans are not on board with Perry’s soft on illegals polices.

Including this Texan.

Facts.

Rebar on October 20, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Rasmussen 2012 Iowa Republican Caucuses Poll 10/19

* Herman Cain 28% (4)
* Mitt Romney 21% (17)
* Ron Paul 10% (14)
* Newt Gingrich 9% (2)
* Michele Bachmann 8% (18)
* Rick Perry 7% (29)

poll taken after Nevada debate so… lol.

hanzblinx on October 20, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I’m running for office for Pete’s Sake, I can’t have midget transvestite prostitutes!

El_Terrible on October 20, 2011 at 1:59 PM

That’s statement is Mitt Romney’s political career in a nutshell.

thirteen28 on October 20, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Would you expect anything else from a politician? Romney surely wouldn’t be the only politician to have these thoughts. In fact, ANY politician worth a hill of beans wouldn’t want someone working for them that was illegal.

Can you imagine if he’d allowed it to continue?

Before you say that he did, know that this story has already been gone over by the Boston newspapers… He was alerted to the fact that some of his lawn care providers employees were illegals and did what anybody else would do when it was brought to his attention and asked the company to cease and desist hiring them and they said they would. Several months later when it was looked at again by the newspapers, etc, he finally fired them as his contractors.

He gave them a chance to stop doing it and they didn’t so he let them go, that’s a good thing in case you were wondering.

If he didn’t give them a chance he’d be pilloried for being heartless. In fact, knowing Perry’s thoughts of other conservatives being heartless who wouldn’t have given money to illegals for college, Perry should have been asking Mitt why he didn’t hire MORE illegals.

SauerKraut537 on October 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Rebar on October 20, 2011 at 11:34 AM

juliesa on October 20, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM

We have to look at the facts as they are known. We have studies from a non-political, but anti-illegal immigration group, the Center for Immigration Studies, that show the figures as 40% of Texas jobs going to illegals. We also have a Perry group, the Texas Public Policy Foundation, which disputes those figures but offers no numbers of it’s own.
So the very best anyone can say, unless Perry offers his own numbers on the issue, is that we have no idea how many illegals are getting US jobs in Texas, including state government jobs. Could be 0%, could be 100%. For Perry, the devil is in those details – no matter the percentage.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:05 PM

SauerKraut537 on October 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Good point, LOL. Mitt should memorize that line for the next debate.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM

That’s statement is Mitt Romney’s political career in a nutshell.

thirteen28 on October 20, 2011 at 1:36 PM

If you or your children were running for office, wouldn’t you also react the same way Romney did upon finding out the illegal lawn workers? Mitt was pretty honest when he said he’s running for office and couldn’t be found using a company that hired illegals. I would have had the exact same reaction.

Don’t throw stones in glass houses.

Perry is not going to win a single vote that’s not already in the tank for him with this ad.

haner on October 20, 2011 at 2:12 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I’m not here to satisfy you for any issue you have with Gov. Perry.
You evidently like to hear yourself talk. There are a couple of other posters that like others to research and provide links for them too. Not for 2 month old info, no way.

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 1:18 AM

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 2:13 PM

if Perry was tough on immigration like he pretends to be and knowing it takes 10 years to build a fence, we should all be watching a nice ribbon cutting ceremony marking the completed fence in Texas had he started this when he took office. Instead we get more rhetoric and excuses… it will take too long… it will cost too much…

gatorboy on October 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM

In TX there is already fencing in some of the urban areas and a few of the rural areas. They have big gaps in them, though, because people need to be able to get to their homes, businesses, schools and water.

juliesa on October 20, 2011 at 12:17 PM

The ignorance on this blog about the border fence is amazing! Perry didn’t stop building or funding the border fence, the Congress of the United States did. Texas does not have the money or the jurisdiction to build the border fence, that is the job of the Federal Government. The fence was completed in El Paso, Texas near my area of the City up to the New Mexico State line. I don’t live in NM, so I have no idea what has been completed there.

Read my comment above, where I mention that the excessive time which it takes to build that fence is due partially to environmentalists and our very own EPA, not Rick Perry.

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 2:16 PM

haner on October 20, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Maybe Perry is just out to do what no one else in the field is doing… sinking Mitt’s battleship.

Perry or Newt!

El_Terrible on October 20, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I’m getting a little tired of that same ad music the Perry ad team is using….they need to mix it up a little..

Dr Evil on October 20, 2011 at 2:20 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 1:14 PM

That attack the source argument is incredibly weak on your part. The substance of the criticism is sound, the methodology used by CIS is completely illogical and misleading. That is where the attacks are coming from yet the data is clearly flawed, no getting around that whoever you claim Chuck DeVore is in the camp for (NRO is generally Romney friendly). Homeland Security numbers refute it.

As for the Perry and illegal issue, it is Romney who is on the defensive and since the Romney campaign was already attacking him on this issue, he has to respond. Mission accomplished, though I don’t think he should be pushing this; he should move on to his tax plan.

In the end, I don’t give a damn, as long as Romney sweats. If Perry brings down Romney with him, so be it.

Daemonocracy on October 20, 2011 at 2:23 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I’m not here to satisfy you for any issue you have with Gov. Perry.

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 1:18 AM

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I understand, I called you on your bluff and you still got nuthin’. Alright then, good enuf. I’m just happy that you’ll keep fuming and losing sleep obsessing over that for Lord only knows how long. There’s no free lunch – but there is free rent, cool deal, thanks!
:D

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I appreciate your info. There are Gov. Perry haters on HA and they disregard, ignore any information about Gov. Perry or Texas. Their comments contain incorrect info or don’t really have anything to do about the price of corn.

What would be interesting to know is which Candidate were they hating on before Gov. Perry entered the race. People that are hateful don’t change, they just change the objects of the hate.

On some other blogs/forums these type of commenters would be identified as bots, getting paid for each response they receive.
Whether any of these are or not I can’t say. Only those that have been posting to HA for some time would know. It’s just a pattern I see that I’ve seen during 2007/2008 & 2009 elsewhere.

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Daemonocracy on October 20, 2011 at 2:23 PM

This was a tactical mistake, highlighting a guy who mowed Romney’s lawn vs. Perry’s policies which affect millions. As I said, Mitt is target rich for highlighting flip/flops but you don’t wanna go after the ones that only serve to highlight your own weakness.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Rick Perry “it could get pretty ugly” Testify Brutha!

Dr Evil on October 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Hiring illegals Offering college tuition breaks to illegals at the state level is cool. It’s called “federalism,” people. That’s the true conservative position. Romney Perry is thoroughly opposed to hiring College tuition breaks for illegals at the federal level.

/Mittbot Perrybot

mankai on October 20, 2011 at 10:13 AM

FIFY

athenanyc on October 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Heh, I had held you in higher regard than chupachudi. I even let it slide the first time you defended him. If you want to tie yourself to that racist moron in your single minded attempt to destroy Perry, go right ahead. You and chupachudi now share the same level of esteem.

cozmo on October 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM

The Romney Campaign was already hitting Perry on the issue in press releases and on interviews with the media – Perry responded and it shook the Romney campaign. It is all they could do to get back on the offensive. It was a good move on their part, watching Romney’s campaign nearly meltdown with that “Perry is a dumb poopie head” ad was amusing. Good thing they pulled it.

There is no question Perry is soft on illegals in my mind, but Romney as some sort of border hawk? lol, hell no. Let them have their cage match.

Daemonocracy on October 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Then what’s your problem? You ought to be ecstatic that Perry pulled such a bonehead stunt. That you, or any other Romney supportin’ nutball isn’t, shows its effectiveness.

cozmo on October 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Rick Perry: I’m gonna make you tell the truth

Mitt Romney: Make me

Rick Perry: It’ll hurt if I do

Dr Evil on October 20, 2011 at 2:39 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Heh, I had held you in higher regard than chupachudi.

cozmo on October 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM

I’m not held in high regard by someone who lashes out at a black person simply for having an opinion, and Mormons, for who knows what reason. I am wounded!

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:40 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM

I have already done my research and don’t need to do it again to provide what is already here on the HA threads. What is wrong with you? Don’t you know how to use the HA Vault feature and click on August 2011?

No, you think that what has already been documented for 2 months, should be posted for your convenience again by someone else.

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 2:40 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM

cozmo on October 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM

It must be one very interesting planet you dwell upon where it’s either Rick or Mitt/blacks/Mormons/nutballs.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:44 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 2:40 PM

And I expect you’ll provide that “documentation” right about the same time you release the proof that JFK’s brain is really in a jar somewhere in Greece. In the meantime, as I said, thanks again for the free rent. Cheers!

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Rick Perry: I’m gonna make you tell the truth

Mitt Romney: Make me

Rick Perry: It’ll hurt if I do

Dr Evil on October 20, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Awesome as usual, LOL

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 2:49 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I guess it was my fault that you are too stupid to comprehend words. I shouldn’t have let you slide when you accused me of being against Mormons. The word was moron, you Romneybott moron.

Man, its a good thing Cain is lily white, or he wouldn’t be on the top of my primary list.

cozmo on October 20, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Rick Perry “it could get pretty ugly” Testify Brutha!

Dr Evil on October 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I think this was a good ad. It brought out the Romneycare/Obamacare similarity which is more damaging than the illegal lawn care service issue.

OT http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-09-19/wall_street/30174786_1_flat-tax-tax-reform-steve-forbes

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM

cozmo on October 20, 2011 at 2:52 PM

LOL, that will probably be misinterpreted also.

I think discussion of facts and different positions and records is helpful. But those that just want to bash one Candidate or the other for no reason is tiresome. I’ve started just skipping any comment with certain names on them. It’s surprising how fast a page goes by:-)

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 2:59 PM

I guess it was my fault that you are too stupid to comprehend words.
cozmo on October 20, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Yeah, it’s a tough life you live, what with all that fighting against all them thar people who disagree with you. The worst part, for them, is if you tell them you don’t hold them in your highest esteem. I mean, that’s why they even comment on blogs and offer opinions in the first place – for your stamp of approval. A real heartbreaker – as I said, they are wounded.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 3:02 PM

TheRightMan on October 20, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I post that every time one of you Perry crackpots make idiotic proof by assertion comments.

You’re being tweaked just like we tweaked the Palin whackos. As long as you’re going to refuse to be rational, you’ll be easy prey for these type of comments.

csdeven on October 20, 2011 at 3:06 PM

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 2:59 PM

The problem is, they are not smart enough to say what’s good about their chosen candidate. All they can do is attempt to destroy any other candidate. I think some of them turn it into a visceral hatred of a chosen candidate and go downhill from there.

I sometimes ignore them, but then they think they are changing minds with their crap and go even farther. Besides, how can any cat ignore whatta’-silly-cat-toy for long. Its time to play.

cozmo on October 20, 2011 at 3:09 PM

As a black man, I know a racist when i see one, and Rick Perry is a racist. As long as he drove by that rock more than once, he is a racist.

That’s all I am going to say on this issue. If you don’t agree fine, but he is a racist, and can never win the nomination.

Chudi on October 20, 2011 at 12:38 PM

You are just like Jesse Jackson, Rev Wright and Al Sharpton. All it takes is for some jerk at a crap newspaper or media outlet to start some story about how someone is a racist because they did something that no one can even prove, and you and your ilk accuse them of being racist. You think you can get away with it because you are black. I guess the guy on the Dallas Count Commissioners Court was also a racist because he said their money was going down a black hole. OH NO!!!! A BLACK HOLE!! RACIST!!!

How asinine! Go back to Hot Air thread posted here and get educated:

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 3:13 PM

bw222 on October 20, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Bwahahahaha!!! Those aren’t rants you moron. They are designed to set you off just like it did this time.

You fool.

csdeven on October 20, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Hey! Leave John Wiley Price outta’ this! The man is already manufacturing federal charges him to keep the brutha’ down.

cozmo on October 20, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Any candidate who tells you he or she is going to build a solid 1200 fence on the Rio Grande is either lying to you, or is stupid.

juliesa on October 20, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Clearly. But they will install strategic fencing to funnel traffic to easily monitored areas.

Look, ALL border governors are expected to be illegal friendly in their own states just to get elected. I believe Perry, like Bush will try to push a McCain type amnesty plan through.

But in the end, it is Perry’s inability to keep his wits about him in a debate. He is done. No conservative is going to take a chance on a guy who will absolutely fold in a debate with Obama.

csdeven on October 20, 2011 at 3:26 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:05 PM

You are correct Whatcat, but he was saying that these people all work FOR the State of Texas as State employees, not IN the State of Texas. He has nothing at all to back himself up on that, he was just throwing around hateful accusations.

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 3:28 PM

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 2:30 PM

I’ve been here for 3-4 years, and I haven’t seen many of these names until the start of the Presidential election campaigning. It really started with the Palinbots and now this. (I actually like Palin , but I’m not a groupie for anyone, not even Perry). I just hate the back-biting that occurs now over a simple disagreement in candidates among posters who are supposedly on the same side of politics. There is so much hate, I don’t read or post even a third as much as I used to.

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 3:37 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I’m not sure what “he” you mean there, Susanboo. And I’m not sure that anybody said all illegals work for the State – if so, it would be as an absurd a claim as to say none do. If Perry brings this up again I’d look for Romney asking him “What are your figures on the question, Governor?”. It’s too good a gotcha question to pass up.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 3:40 PM

cozmo on October 20, 2011 at 3:25 PM

LOL, What a loser that guy is!

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 3:43 PM

LOL, What a loser that guy is!

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 3:43 PM

chupachudi and chupa’s defenders would love him.

Though, I don’t think he is a loser, unless he ends up spending a lot of time in a federal hotel. His backers love him and keep voting him in to live a lifestyle most of them will never come close to.

cozmo on October 20, 2011 at 3:56 PM

supposedly on the same side of politics.

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 3:37 PM

The problems ALWAYS start with the ideologues. Whether they be Palin, Perry, or Cain purists, unless the other candidates toe the line perfectly, they are branded RINO’s and their supporters are called trolls, liberals and other such nonsense.

We dispatched Palin and her worshipers became Perry worshipers and attack Cain. Once Perry is finished, they will cease attacking Cain, and become Cain worshipers.

csdeven on October 20, 2011 at 3:59 PM

csdeven on October 20, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Eh, many people just are much more prone to ill-advised emotional over-attachment to candidates. Been that way for a long time. I agree it’s not wise, but it’s difficult – if not futile – to reason with those who are emotionally driven by such an attachment. You just roll your eyes, hopefully get a chuckle, and stick to substantive things.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 3:40 PM

THIS:

Rebar on October 20, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Perry cannot check every State employee himself, there are more than 250,00 of them. I should hope Romney has a say about who works on his lawn.

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM

csdeven on October 20, 2011 at 3:59 PM

I think you have some of that wrong. dumb as rebar, whatta’cattoy, idiotdesign and many of the other rabid Palin cultists have boarded the Romney bus and already play their shtick against Perry without looking at Cain. There are some on the Perry bus who go after Cain and Romney, but if any are of the same intensity, I don’t know who they are. Petunia, Chupachudi and jenfidel castro started out being mittbots and they don’t go after Cain with the same gusto as they go after Perry.

cozmo on October 20, 2011 at 4:14 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 3:40 PM

THIS:

Rebar on October 20, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Ah, I was wondering if you meant Perry or other candidate or whaaa?
But in response to your reply there – since it is Perry who is bringing up the issue (unwisely so, I’d add), if he is worried about some guy cutting Romney’s lawn some years back, why isn’t he showing the same concern for his own state that he has for a plot of grass? e.g. Why refuse to apply E-Verify, or any kind of system of checks for that matter, to state employees especially?

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 4:18 PM

bluefox

Cut the crap. You made allegations that Romney has repeatedly lied during the debates. PROVIDE ONE SPECIFIC EXAMPLE NOW or STFU.

Buy Danish on October 20, 2011 at 4:18 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I love Rick Perry, I’ll admit it. He’s my Governor, and in my opinion he’s done a great job, but a few weeks ago when he was tanking at debating, I posted on Hotair that I was going to have to take another look at some other candidates. I still may vote for someone else, we’ll see. But, Perry is still my first choice, because after seeing him for 10 years as Gov., I know that one on one with another candidate or Obama, he can hold his own.

These debates, in my opinion, are not showing us how well anyone can run anything . I find it amazing that Perry finally defends himself in the last debate and the “know it alls” say he’s gone negative. Pooh! We’ve been listening to Bachmann, Santorum, Paul and Romney beat up on everyone but Romney for 2 months now and Perry’s negative? What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. I think Perry just did us all a favor by showing us Romney’s stripes.

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 4:25 PM

You know who this benefits? (Hint: It’s not Mitt.)

Assegai on October 20, 2011 at 4:26 PM

SauerKraut537 on October 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM

haner on October 20, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Man, you guys and Mitt can dish it out, but your sure can’t take it. Good, your reaction here shows that the attack was effective and got under his and your skins. Thin skinned as Obama.

thirteen28 on October 20, 2011 at 4:27 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Oh yeah, I get a good chuckle out of it. Sometimes I tell my friends to come and read their nonsense so they can get a good laugh also.

csdeven on October 20, 2011 at 4:28 PM

….rabid Palin cultists have boarded the Romney bus….

cozmo on October 20, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Really! lol I have been pretty busy and not logged on as often, so I missed that. What a sight that must be! lol

csdeven on October 20, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Buy Danish on October 20, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I am wondering about the comments Romney made supporting a national healthcare plan. He is denying it, but the clips seem to so he did actually support it.

Do you have any clarification?

csdeven on October 20, 2011 at 4:32 PM

csdeven on October 20, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Palin to Romney…go figure.

cozmo on October 20, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Palin to Romney…go figure.

cozmo on October 20, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I can’t figure it. Weird! lol

csdeven on October 20, 2011 at 4:37 PM

That’s all I am going to say on this issue.

Yeh, right.

kg598301 on October 20, 2011 at 4:40 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Debates are important, primarily to demonstrate who thinks best on his feet. In the last debate Perry just came on too strong at the wrong time bringing the live audience to near-full BOO mode. When Romney replied in kind they weren’t too happy with that either.

Also, although it’s a novel thought, the nominee will have to face Obama in debates. Ducking out isn’t an option. Most voters will watch at least part of them and come away with quick impressions. I think most Republicans are concerned on how Perry would fare in such a setting, it’s not the point or place to take a risk.

I think Perry just did us all a favor by showing us Romney’s stripes.

On that, I just don’t know that there are many people who follow GOP politics who aren’t aware of the issues with Mitt, e.g. the flip-flops. They’ve been out there for quite a while, he’s not new to the scene. For people who are already anti-Mitt, it only serves as confirmation bias. It’s the same as when any candidate gets ripped on, the backers of the other candidates hail it but complain when it’s their ox being gored. But that’s just the nature of politics.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Woohoo, BRILLIANT ad! It uses two of my favorite quotes from the Mittster, “I’m running for office for Pete’s sake, I can’t have illegals!” and “There’s a lot of reasons not to vote for me”, I’m ROFLOL! Loved that it even included Newt’s voice condemning Mitt.

Ed, the reason this isn’t about jobs is because of Mitt. He decided to attack Perry on everything but jobs and here we are.

Also, just because Perry is a “man of faith” doesn’t mean that he isn’t allowed to defend himself and play offense. Christians like to win, too, and if their opponent is throwing mud, I see no problem with counter tactics.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 20, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Oh, and Ed, primary voters dislike Romney SO much (70-75%) that I think they’ll EMBRACE the one guy who is fighting him the hardest — PERRY.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 20, 2011 at 4:54 PM

So to everyone who was bashing the Romney ad, welcome to the party hypocrites!

Perry calling someone a liar is sooooo much better than them calling Perry a moron. /

I think they both should knock it off.

scotash on October 20, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Susanboo on October 20, 2011 at 3:37 PM

The pattern I have seen on other blogs/forums is that anytime there is open registration the bots sign up. They may not comment until an issue that interests them (Palin)(Perry) etc comes up. Then they all come out. Spammers do the same thing.

Chudi is a special case. He usually only comments on a thread that is about Gov. Perry:-) He has been given links & article info on the issues, but ignores them. Whatcat does the same thing. Some just like to harass, they comment only for that purpose which I’m sure you’ve seen.

What you see on HA is what happens when a site is not monitored. Perhaps the answer is to ignore the haters. Similar to don’t feed the trolls:-)

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 5:03 PM

So to everyone who was bashing the Romney ad, welcome to the party hypocrites!
I think they both should knock it off.
scotash on October 20, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Just listening to Lutz discussing voter reaction to the last debate. While he didn’t quite use your words, lol, he would agree with your bottom line.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 5:23 PM

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Fact is, 88% of HA readers don’t support Perry.

Spin it however you like, but Perry is a weak candidate who blew a huge lead by being… Perry.

And HA hasn’t had an open registration in quite a long time.

Rebar on October 20, 2011 at 5:23 PM

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Still waiting…

Do you have any clarification?
csdeven on October 20, 2011 at 4:32 PM

What comments? Something edited and/or taken out of context? From the start he said all along that ‘states are laboratories of ideas’; that no one plan works for each state; that each state has to develop a plan that works for their unique needs, demographics, et cetera; that individual states may want to voluntarily adopt some aspects of the Mass plan for themselves. He never, ever advocated a one-size-fits-all federal plan and as he noted on Tuesday he reiterated that during the 2008 debates… which was prior to Obama and ObamaCare.

Buy Danish on October 20, 2011 at 5:26 PM

And HA hasn’t had an open registration in quite a long time.
Rebar on October 20, 2011 at 5:23 PM

You have to keep in mind that, for some people, when their candidate is rejected by voters it can’t possibly be because voters don’t want a certain candidate, it can only be a conspiracy. But if the conspiracies to help them through, you really can’t begrudge them their fantasies. Just recall the definition of “barking moonbat”; “someone who sacrifices sanity for the sake of consistency”.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 5:36 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Some of these Perry supporters are reaching the level of insanity and inanity displayed by the worst of Ron Paul supporters.

Rebar on October 20, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Rebar on October 20, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Sorry, bluefox told me she’s a dyno-mite researcher and has all sorts of stuff she “researched” but refuses to share so you’ll just have to take her word for everything./

Buy Danish on October 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Oops, I forgot to mention that if you ask bluefox to back up her allegations you are “harassing” her.

Buy Danish on October 20, 2011 at 5:44 PM

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Rebar on October 20, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Well, they are both pulling the same poll numbers afterall. Just sayin’.

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I work in Texas. We use E-verify. We have been using it for awhile. Maybe 1 1/2 to 2 years. Somebody mentioned that Perry refused to implement it. I don’t know where the information came from, but it is outdated now. I’ve seen some of the lists or letters or whatever they are with all of the gotcha items on Perry, and while there are a couple items in them that I agree with (no I don’t remember which, because it has been a month or so since I read them), I would say 8 out of 10 were misrepresented or partially represented to cast them in a bad light. Most of it is crap. He has been a good Governor. He has been good for jobs in Texas. Our housing market has been tough in some of the higher priced markets like Houston, Austin, and DFW, but for the most part, home values have weathered the “bubble” burst pretty well. He isn’t perfect, but he certainly isn’t an idiot. We have a lot of other state’s populations coming here for work, and we have a lot of other state’s business relocating here. He supports policies that promote economic growth. We need that desperately in the United States. If he did nothing but roll back liberal policies that are dampening our economy and pushed policies that will stimulate our economy, he would be a good President for the present need. From what I hear, Romney supports better regulations on business. I believe that is the wrong answer. We need a President that supports “fewer” regulations on business. The more government gets out of the way, the better off we will be. Government needs to level the playing field. It has no business trying to pick winners and losers.

dandy

dandydon on October 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM

dandydon on October 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Perry refused to implement E-Verify for Texas state employees. If your particular business is voluntarily using it, good for them.

As far as picking winners and losers, you might want to research Perry’s support for the failed technology of wind power, and the $7 Billion in Texas taxpayers money he wants to throw away stringing powerlines to nowhere.

Rebar on October 20, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Fact is, 88% of HA readers don’t support Perry.

And HA hasn’t had an open registration in quite a long time.

Rebar on October 20, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I looked at those graphs you linked to, Romney is polling behind Perry. So what’s your point? HA readers don’t support Perry and they support Romney even less?

These graphs have Cain leading so Cain is peaking now in Oct not when he needs to peak closer to when people are actually voting in the primaries and caucuses.

Dr Evil on October 20, 2011 at 6:36 PM

There is a reason that the candidates don’t want to be in the front of the pack now – When Romney declared and Sarah Palin stepped on his announcement, he said he didn’t want to be over exposed, because it’s a long process. Probably one of the reasons he wants the primary and caucuses moved up so his exposure is shortened. Everyone knows who he is he’s been running for President for 6 years he has face and name recognition. It’s the same for the other candidates, you don’t want to be the flavor of week, you don’t want to be a flash in the pan. You want to hang back a little in the top tier, and build up steady support. That takes campaign funds, and organisation on the ground. Two things that Herman Cain needs if he wants to turn his surge into something substantial. He’s going to Iowa this weekend, that’s a good start. He’s only got 5 Million after the 3rd Quarter reporting he took in 1.3 Million or something like that. He needs to take in a lot more in donations to be competitive and keep his lead.

Dr Evil on October 20, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Dr Evil on October 20, 2011 at 6:36 PM

My point is obvious – not being a Perry supporter doesn’t make someone a “troll”, it puts them in the solid majority. Nor does it make them automagically a Romney supporter.

Rebar on October 20, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Your overlord, Romney, apparently thinks so. :)

TheRightMan

I guess we can add that to the list of other things Romney was wrong about then, because Perry is done, unfortunately. Despite his love for illegals, I could vote for Perry. I can’t say the same for Mitt.

xblade on October 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Aw, I’m guessing that bluefox is so busy, busy, busy doing “research” that she hasn’t had time to respond…

Buy Danish on October 20, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Rebar on October 20, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I worked for a non-profit affiliated with a State University. We were forced to start using E-verify, because the University, as a State entity, was required to start using it when the State adopted it. That was 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. The non-profit has basicly been absorbed by the University, and we all had to go through E-verify again, because we were being made state employees. I’m not sure where you are getting your information, but that part is wrong.

As for the wind power, you are right, I wish he wasn’t supporting that. It has been kicking around for years, and the biggest problem was the expense of building the lines to deliver the electricity from west Texas to the power grid. I think at best it is supposed to deliver about 7% of our power supply. Although, now that I think of the power plants that may have to shut down due to the recent EPA regulations, we can use every watt we can get.

dandy

dandydon on October 20, 2011 at 8:36 PM

It may be that Republican voters will start turning more towards the man who has made the case throughout all of the debates that Republicans should be focusing on Barack Obama and not each other. Who could have predicted that Newt Gingrich would have become the candidate of positive politics?

I brought this up in the break room Wednesday afternoon. The other poo-pooed it, but it is still early.

woodNfish on October 20, 2011 at 10:25 PM

…that Republicans should be focusing on Barack Obama and not each other. Who could have predicted that Newt Gingrich would have become the candidate of positive politics?

I propose Real Americans are sick of “positive politics”. There is no such thing and NEVER HAS BEEN! That’s all phony BS. The Tea Party is sick of Republicans even more. I bet Rick is right to ratchet this up into a bloody brawl with the King of the RINOS. Perhaps the boys from Texas figure it’s Romney, the patrician scion, who’s got the short temper and the glass jaw. All they have to do is keeping hitting him in the face at every possible chance.

Personally, I’m up for a fight. Mitt deserves to be kicked to the floor as well as all the Beltway crooks who are trying to lock it up for him.

Don’t think of it as a Republican cat fight, think of it as rehearsal for The Main Event.

rcl on October 20, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Rebar on October 20, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Your linked article claims “Perry backed wind, gas and coal”. Wow, isn’t that Palin’s “All of the Above” strategy? I consider it brilliant!

You also make the ignorant statement that wind power is a failure. Oh clownish one, every f’g ranch and farm on the prairie from the Rio Grande to The Medicine Line has been using WIND POWER to pump water for 150 years. Have you ever been to Texas? If there’s anywhere that Wind Power might work for megawatt production it’s in north Texas when that prairie wind comes through.

Worst of all, where do you get the idea that the $7 billion is taxpayer money? CREZ is a public utility industry group. The transmission infrastructure is being implemented by ETT, “a joint venture between subsidiaries of American Electric Power (NYSE:AEP) and MidAmerican Energy Holdings Company (MidAmerican). Sure, the anti-Perry smear site you link to writes as if they’re wasting public funds but Public Utilities, including CREZ are not public funded businesses. Perhaps I’m missing something and Texas is putting up $7 B to the $10 B committed by ETT. Considering the budget’s balanced and they’ve got a surplus banked I’d have to say rounding up private funds to build public infrastructure is actually a good thing, don’t you think?

Bottom line dude, I would trade my California tax rate for the Texas tax any day of the week. No matter how Gov. Perry spends it he does it damn well better than almost anyone in the country. All the spin and lies from hacks like you can’t change the fact they’re generating real $$$ and real jobs in Texas while the rest of us are being flushed down the toilet.

rcl on October 21, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Perry is a dirt bag.

enerwaste on October 21, 2011 at 1:46 AM

You also make the ignorant statement that wind power is a failure.

rcl on October 21, 2011 at 12:14 AM

It is.

Wind power, as a viable method of generating electricity, is a dismal failure, all around the world. Even where the wind blows nearly 100% of the time, they can’t make it work, and Texas isn’t that place. It is a failed technology which cannot ever be even in the ballpark of competitive.

If it wasn’t for massive taxpayer subsidies, and Perry’s 10% wind energy requirement, there wouldn’t be single wind turbine in Texas. It is simply a way for “green energy” crony capitalists to suck up massive amounts of taxpayer’s money – a pure unadulterated scam. When the subsidies end, every last windfarm in Texas will go out of business the next day, and all the nice powerlines built with so much expense won’t carry a single watt of power.

Perry’s support of wind power is simply crony capitalism at it’s most blatant form. It does not work, cannot be made to work, and every dime of taxpayer’s money spent on it is simply theft.

Rebar on October 21, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Perry is a dirt bag.

enerwaste on October 21, 2011 at 1:46 AM

LOL! Yes, he is a “dirt bag” for outing precious Mittster as the lying liar he is.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 21, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Buy Danish on October 20, 2011 at 5:26 PM

That is why I asked. It seems to me that if what this ad suggested is true, we would have heard it before. I would like to see unedited interviews they used and took out of context.

csdeven on October 21, 2011 at 7:26 AM

bluefox on October 20, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Seriously, Buy Danish is right. You made some claims and are refusing to provide the evidence when you were asked for it. If a comment is important enough for you to make, it ought to be important enough for you to back up with evidence. Putting aside the hypocrisy of such behavior, the other consequence is that no one will believe a word you say in the future. An example…..I remember the exchange between you two and was paying attention to your discussion waiting for you to provide your evidence. But at this time I don’t recall the exact issues we were waiting for the evidence of. As a result of that, I don’t believe a word you say now. And I guarantee you that others here, rational people, feel the same way.

The ball is in your court to establish how people view your credibility or lack thereof.

csdeven on October 21, 2011 at 7:34 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 21, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Can you provide the entire interviews that the Perry team got these clips from? Don’t you want to know definitively if it is a factual ad? I know you’re a Perry supporter and if you could prove that Romney is lying, there may be some that would be swayed to your side and away from their candidate whether it be Romney, Cain, or the others.

csdeven on October 21, 2011 at 7:37 AM

Rebar on October 21, 2011 at 2:01 AM

More: even today’s NYT admits wind power cannot be made economical.

Rebar on October 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Perry is stupid if he thinks this is good politics. It is not leadership.

AshleyTKing on October 21, 2011 at 11:47 PM

All I can say about Perry on immigration is that he’s the only border governor who actually sent state law enforcement to close the border.

Alone among his Republican rivals running for president, the Texas governor has a small army at his disposal. Over the past three years, he has deployed it along his southern flank in a secretive, military-style campaign

Note that the Washington Post is not a fan, but even they are forced to concede that Perry has done exactly what he said the feds should be doing.

SDN on October 22, 2011 at 11:52 AM