Herman Cain clarifies, sort of: “I am 100% pro-life. End of story.”

posted at 8:45 pm on October 20, 2011 by Allahpundit

It’s a nice try but this doesn’t jibe with the exchange between him and Piers Morgan.

Yesterday in an interview with Piers Morgan on CNN, I was asked questions about abortion policy and the role of the President.

I understood the thrust of the question to ask whether that I, as president, would simply “order” people to not seek an abortion.

My answer was focused on the role of the President. The President has no constitutional authority to order any such action by anyone. That was the point I was trying to convey.

As to my political policy view on abortion, I am 100% pro-life. End of story.

I will appoint judges who understand the original intent of the Constitution. Judges who are committed to the rule of law know that the Constitution contains no right to take the life of unborn children.

No one on either side is arguing that the president has a constitutional power to issue executive orders barring women from having abortions. I’ve never heard even a diehard pro-lifer suggest that, so in essence, he wants you to believe here that he was responding with a point that no one disputes to a question that no one ever asks. Which means either he’s lying about what he understood Morgan’s question to mean or he’s so unacquainted with the most basic terms of the abortion debate that he genuinely felt obliged to reassure Americans that he won’t be sending the FBI to pregnant women’s homes to make sure they carry to term. Bad, bad news either way.

Beyond that, though, it’s simply not true that his response to Morgan was couched in terms of the limits of presidential power. Go back and watch the clip again. Morgan asks him what he’d want his daughter or granddaughter to do and Cain quickly arrives at this answer:

No, it comes down to is, it’s not the government’s role — or anybody else’s role — to make that decision. Secondly, if you look at the statistical incidents, you’re not talking about that big a number. So what I’m saying is, it ultimately gets down to a choice that that family or that mother has to make. Not me as president. Not some politician. Not a bureaucrat. It gets down to that family. And whatever they decide, they decide. I shouldn’t try to tell them what decision to make for such a sensitive decision.

He’s talking about the entire government, not just the presidency, and of course it’s a core argument for pro-lifers that Congress should act to make this decision on behalf of women if/when Roe v. Wade is overturned. A moment later he told Morgan that his opinion as president shouldn’t necessarily operate as a “directive” on the nation, but then he was back to broad language about government again: “The government shouldn’t be trying to tell people everything to do, especially when it comes to a social decision that they need to make.” No pro-choicer could say it any better. How did we get from that to “I am 100% pro-life, end of story” in the span of 24 hours?

Question, then: Does this hurt him at all, and if it does, has the damage been done to his social conservative credibility or to his overall credibility, i.e. the basic belief that presidential candidates are fully engaged on complex but essential issues? For now, the rest of the field is attacking him on the former point. Santorum questioned his pro-life cred earlier this morning and then Perry, who desperately needs Cain to fade in social-con bastions like Iowa and South Carolina, issued this statement:

The campaign of Texas Gov. Rick Perry has responded to Cain’s comments, with Perry communications director Ray Sullivan saying, “A number of the Republicans candidates have flip flopped or been tripped up on the abortion issue. Governor Perry has been proudly pro-life for his entire career, successfully working to pass a parental consent law, a pre-abortion sonogram law, and defund Planned Parenthood in the state budget.”

That’s awfully timid. Let’s see what happens at the next debate. Until then, read HuffPo’s report on the reaction of Iowa social conservatives to what Cain told Morgan. Exit quotation from talk-radio host Steve Deace: “Cain is good at regurgitating talking points, but when he is forced to explain what he believes the devil is usually found in the details. Based on the testimony of his own words, Cain is neither ready, willing, nor able to honor the oath of office required of a President of the United States.”

Update: David Freddoso’s also underwhelmed by Cain’s spin and wonders how he’d fare in a debate with Obama.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I’d like for him to stop talking now. ZIP IT. Enough. Gah.

Bee on October 20, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Not ready for prime time.

terryannonline on October 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

How about letting women decide for, you know, themselves? Strange concept, I know.

mythicknight on October 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Good God, really AP…really??? Talk about BLATANT trolling for comments…I’m shocked, shocked I tell ya–I mean, you never did this with Palin…oh wait…

lovingmyUSA on October 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Godfather’s Pizza was looking for a new CEO. They brought in the head of recipes and asked him, “What is 1 + 1?” He answered, 2 ounces. They then brought in the CFO and asked the same question. He answered, “$2.”

Then they brought in Herman Cain, and asked the same question. He walked over to the window, scratched his chin for a few seconds and then turned around. Herman then asked, “What would you like for it to be?”

Kermit on October 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Here’s what I don’t understand about this whole event.

People seem to be admonishing Cain for two mutually exclusive failures. Either he is pro-life and just entangled himself in his answer, so much so that he looks ill-prepared, or he isn’t pro-life and pro-lifers should look upon him with suspicion.

For one thing, the second issue seems outright idiotic. As I mentioned yesterday, Cain told David Gregory on MTP that he opposed abortion even in the case of rape and incest. You don’t take that position with the standard-bearer of the lib media unless you mean it.

KingGold on October 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Goodness gracious Allah really is scouring every alley and backstreet to dump on Cain – is he missing Palin already?

callingallcomets on October 20, 2011 at 8:53 PM

This is actually pretty good. I wish he would have been more clear about this earlier, but it’s good he put it down now.

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM

mythicknight on October 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

It is indeed a strange concept that making a decision to end someone else’s life is called their “own” decision.

OneGyT on October 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Oh, ok.
You win.
I guess I’ll just volunteer for Mitt’s campaign tomorrow morning.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 20, 2011 at 8:55 PM

lovingmyUSA on October 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

It’s a rightwing conspiracy theory!

callingallcomets on October 20, 2011 at 8:53 PM

In the words of Biden, I guess this was a big f’ing deal!

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 8:55 PM

KingGold on October 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Thank goodness for some sanity. In that same interview, he said the only place where “people should decide for themselves” was in the case where the life of the mother was at stake.

knob on October 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

mythicknight on October 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Not really when there are other lives at sake. Nice talking point though. Think of that all by your little old self?

CW on October 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

But they are murdering babeez! Big government must step in!

Pablo Honey on October 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

People seem to be admonishing Cain for two mutually exclusive failures.

KingGold on October 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM

What do we call it if Romney does it?
Flip-flopping.

Why are the rules different for Cain?

He says in the Stossel clip…”No, abortion should not be legal“.

He also says it should be a womans choice.

sharrukin on October 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM

mythicknight on October 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

OneGyT on October 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM

thick is one of those idiots that skipped biology class. Really I have given up on changing some of these fools’ minds. They are willfully ignorant and just plain gross. Something really sick about trading an orgasm for your child’s life.

CW on October 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Anything he can do to appease meatheads like you. ;)

TWG78 on October 20, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Non issue.

tinkerthinker on October 20, 2011 at 8:58 PM

But they are murdering babeez! Big government must step in!

Pablo Honey on October 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Uh, you think?

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 8:58 PM

That’s awfully timid.

Probably because Perry flip-flopped in a similar way. Remember the “federalism” debacle?

Darth Executor on October 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Anything he can do to appease meatheads like you. ;)

TWG78 on October 20, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Tell Herb I said thanks!

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM

The guy isn’t smart. End of story.

IR-MN on October 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM

What do we call it if Romney does it?
Flip-flopping.

sharrukin on October 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM

That’s not even close to my point. My point is that people who don’t support Cain are attacking him over his abortion position, but they’re not sure why they don’t like it (or they’re not sure which line of attack will do more damage), so they’re attacking him on two different but incompatible issues.

It’s silly on its face.

KingGold on October 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM

But they are murdering babeez! Big government must step in!

Pablo Honey on October 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

They are and government should. Your sick little games don’t fly. Weird how homosexuals are just about all for abortion. When the test comes for homosexuality watch out Pablo. Your liberal friends will be aborting those babies left and right.

CW on October 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

I welcome barry’s second term.
He’s so much better than every Hot Air repug./

crash72 on October 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Good God, really AP…really??? Talk about BLATANT trolling for comments

I know it hurts to hear this, but I think you need to: The fact that a story is unhelpful to your preferred candidate doesn’t make it comment-bait. This is, like it or not, actual news. It could matter in key primary states. And it’s a necessary update to a story we ran earlier today.

Allahpundit on October 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Big government must step in!

Pablo Honey on October 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Oh so you think Roe is bunk too eh?

CW on October 20, 2011 at 9:01 PM

The guy isn’t smart. End of story.

IR-MN on October 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Are you even in a position to make that judgement?

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Oh, ok.
You win.
I guess I’ll just volunteer for Mitt’s campaign tomorrow morning.
Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 20, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Sir, you’re a man after my own heart. I was going to post a similar sarcastic concession.

TWG78 on October 20, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Where does he get that idea?
Unfortunately, Roe v. Wade is the law of the land.
Cain is absolutely correct.

katy the mean old lady on October 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM

so they’re attacking him on two different but incompatible issues.

It’s silly on its face.

KingGold on October 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Well then isn’t it silly for people to attack Romney when he’s saying he’s against abortion? When he’s against Obamacare? When he’s against the Assault Weapons Ban?

sharrukin on October 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Does every Republican candidate have to get a large shot of stupid before they go campaigning?

Just when you think the Charlie-Foxtrot can’t get any worse…

ajacksonian on October 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Question, then: Does this hurt him at all

Well, my hypothesis is currently that Cain’s Teflon. You watch. He’s due to give a speech at a crucial Iowa so-con gathering on Saturday.

Over/under for the number of times he gets that crowd to its feet is 10.

KingGold on October 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Just when you think the Charlie-Foxtrot can’t get any worse…

ajacksonian on October 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Our field is weak.

terryannonline on October 20, 2011 at 9:05 PM

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 9:01 PM

On this, anyone with a pulse can, ape.

IR-MN on October 20, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Laugh. You as clever as you are observant.

I was a straight babeez.

Pablo Honey on October 20, 2011 at 9:05 PM

I’m no fan of Herman Cain, Allah – but he’s no liar.

So the answer to your question is … he’s an idiot.

HondaV65 on October 20, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Exit quotation from talk-radio host Steve Deace

Not THE Steve Deace???
(Whoever that is.)
Has the Kansas City, MO FM Morning Zoo weighed in yet?

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 9:05 PM

“I will oppose government funding of abortion. I will veto any legislation that contains funds for Planned Parenthood. I will do everything that a President can do, consistent with his constitutional role, to advance the culture of life.”

That’s the key phrase right there. “I will do everything that a President can do”. I think the man’s staunchly pro-life, but outside of appointing Supreme Court justices and not appropriating any federal funds, he’s not gonna do anything else as President with regard to abortion.

Which honestly is fine with me. Aside from overturning Roe vs. Wade and allowing the states to decide, I think the decision should be left up to the individual. I’m sick and tired of this issue being a central focus in every damn Presidential campaign.

Doughboy on October 20, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Allahpundit on October 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Also, it gives us Jesus Freaks more opportunity to talk about GOD.

Nuthin’ better . . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on October 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM

My fingers are raw from all of these Cain threads.

Punchenko on October 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM

We’ll just have to take his word for it since he has no record. Trouble is, his word keeps changing.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Cain is GOP’s Alvin Greene.

promachus on October 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Allahpundit on October 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

“Update”…oh, so that’s how you are spining it..well ok then, never mind…

lovingmyUSA on October 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I’m not sure Herman Cain has enough sense to fully understand the oath of office he’d have to take.

HondaV65 on October 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Oh my, Sarah Palin is on Hannity and praising Herman like crazy.

Knucklehead on October 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM

On this, anyone with a pulse can, ape.

IR-MN on October 20, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Were you calling me or Herman Cain an ape?

I’m going to go out on a limb here. Does Cain have a better education than you?

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM

My fingers are raw from all of these Cain threads.

Punchenko on October 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM

We thought ‘Sarah threads’ were intense.

listens2glenn on October 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM

This sentence was not bolded by AP, like he bolded the others. Seems to me that his statement on the Piers Morgan show does indeed “jibe” with his explanation today.

Sorry, AP, but I see this whole thing totally differently than you do. I think we as Republicans have better things to be examining and discussing. This has already rightly been discussed. Now Cain has clarified for those who needed clarification. If some don’t want to believe it, fine. But do we need a whole other thread to say you or others don’t buy the explanation? Seems like overkill.

I think most people who were not locked into supporting other candidates never doubted that Cain is 100% prolife. That his words got jumbled while he was explaining something else in his own mind.

Yes, that is a problem with him. But he certainly doesn’t have a communication problem. Quite the opposite. Certainly not any more speaking problems than the other candidates, except for plastic rehearsed Romney who often doesn’t even answer the question.

Elisa on October 20, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Is it the story that is unhelpful to Cain’s candidacy or the biased interpretations of his comments that are meant to be damaging?

RedRedRice on October 20, 2011 at 9:09 PM

For real? I never knew that. That’s a lot of power for the President to have.

SoulGlo on October 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM

The problem I’ve always had with abortion…other than it’s murder…is that it’s always framed as a “women’s issue”. It really irks me that the father is left out of the equation, assuming he wants to be in the equation.

SouthernGent on October 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Herman Cain Express,is,now Operational!
***************************************

canopfor on October 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM

And again, as I’ve said today, Cain has been on more liberal mainstream outlets (TV, radio and print) over these past 3 weeks than all the other candidates combined. All those interviews and only a couple “gaffes?” Pretty good for an amateur.

Elisa on October 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM

“Update”…oh, so that’s how you are spining it..well ok then, never mind…

lovingmyUSA on October 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Please dude – don’t shoot the messenger. Herman Cain created this whole mess with his completely incoherent answer to the Pro-Life question.

Now it’s Allah’s fault for reporting the fallout on that?

And also – Cain’s the one that caused the controversy with his comments on releasing GITMO terrorists. But … uhm – that’s not Cain’s fault? That’s somehow the fault of the THINKING PEOPLE out here who listened to that gibberish and asked … “WTF OVER??!!”

If you don’t want bad press for you dude – maybe you should join his campaign staff (pro bono of course – he has no money to pay you) and tell him to STOP CREATING bad press.

HondaV65 on October 20, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Knucklehead on October 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Wow!..I figured most Palinistas were waiting on an “earthquake”..:)

Dire Straits on October 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Oh my, Sarah Palin is on Hannity and praising Herman like crazy.

Knucklehead on October 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Psst

I was talking to a former (?) Palinista that is convinced Sarah is in secret negotiations with Newt. She’ll endorse him and get the VP slot.

It’s going to turn ugly if and when she does decide to make an endorsement.

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

When he can carry a pregnancy to term then he’ll have more of a say.

Pablo Honey on October 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I got a very different impression from the Morgan exchange. It seems to me that when challenged to defend being pro-life, Cain backed into the “it’s a personal decision” argument, which is the last refuge of cowards.

He is either not used to defending himself on abortion, or he is insincere in his pro-life stance. I don’t know which it is.

Nessuno on October 20, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Elisa on October 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Yeah I got a buddy here in Louisiana – and he’s tackled more alligators with his bare hands than any five cajuns put together. He’s only been bit twice and has to use a colostomy bag for the rest of his life …

Not bad for an amateur though!

Let’s give him and Cain and medal. But what medal would we give them?

It wouldn’t be a medal for intelligence – that I can assure you!

HondaV65 on October 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM

He’s seemed to do fine in debates so far, managing to survive a six-on-one assault on 999 two days ago and a seven-on-one assault on 999 just weeks earlier. I’m guessing he’d do just swell.

KingGold on October 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Over/under for the number of times he gets that crowd to its feet is 10.

KingGold on October 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM

I’ve been thinking the same thing. He has Reagan’s “teflon President” quality. Things won’t stick to him. Mistakes will be forgiven. Reagan was real, optimistic, inspiring and likeable. When it comes to these qualities: Cain, same thing.

Elisa on October 20, 2011 at 9:15 PM

RedRedRice on October 20, 2011 at 9:09 PM

This. Right. Here.

What Cain said on Sunday on MTP was clear and concise, no commentary needed.

Knucklehead on October 20, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Allahpundit on October 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

“Update”…oh, so that’s how you are spining it..well ok then, never mind…

lovingmyUSA on October 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Aw, Com’n – Steve Deace, world renowned political expert, hadn’t weighed in with his always sought after expert analysis earlier. I’m holding out for the next update when the graveyard shift DJ offers his/her own deep thinkin’. It’ll be awesome, dude!

whatcat on October 20, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Elisa on October 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I’m afraid it’s more than just a “couple of gaffes” and the gaffes are sometimes atomic size bombs, like considering releasing all of GITMO for one soldier. That’s the biggest gaffe I’ve ever seen a Republican candidate for POTUS make.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 20, 2011 at 9:15 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM

You really are clueless. First you say Cain has never been to Iowa, now you say he has no record…

African American Businessman Spends 1M to Urge Blacks to Vote Pro-Life

With the balance of power in Congress hanging in the air, a leading African American businessman says black voters in the United States should put their historical pro-life values above political party. That means voting for pro-life candidates rather than supporting Democratic candidates across the board.

“More and more African Americans are pro-life,” Cain said in a statement LifeNews.com obtained. “Our message to African Americans is simple — it’s time you vote for candidates who support our values.”

Cain will underscore that message with a $1 million advertising campaign in key states and congressional districts targeting black radio programs and urban radio stations young African Americans enjoy. Some of the ads focus on abortion.

lovingmyUSA on October 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM

AP, stop spinning for Mitt!!!!!!!!!!

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Herman Cain has been trying to have a lot of issues both ways. For instances his apples and oranges rationale, over a national sales tax, on top of states with a state sales tax, some states don’t even have a state sales tax- so he would be gifting them a new tax. Oh Thanks A lot Herman/ It’s not that easy to straddle the fence. Herman’s been watching Mitt, but he’s got to understand, Mitt’s made an entire political career, out of fence gliding, he makes it look easier than it really is. Be careful Brother Cain, watch out for them splinters :)

Dr Evil on October 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I do not have a problem with his original stance, and I don’t know what the reason for clarification was for.

It is and individual decision to have an abortion or not. I believe this as someone who is pro-life. I would not allow my daughter under my roof to have one, and I’d discourage her to when not under my room. But at the end of teh day, it’s her decision. And my only hope is that I will have taught her well enough to never have to make such a decision.

bloghooligan on October 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Elisa on October 20, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Well stated.

MadisonConservative on October 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM

and the gaffes are sometimes atomic size bombs

Aslans Girl on October 20, 2011 at 9:15 PM

You mean like calling the base heartless, and resolving not to hire illegals because you’re “running for office, for Pete’s sake?”

KingGold on October 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Whoa AP you are playing with fire tonight LOL

gophergirl on October 20, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Kermit on October 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Inaccurate as the joke is, I think the mental image is funny as hell.

MadisonConservative on October 20, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Psst

It’s going to turn ugly if and when she does decide to make an endorsement.

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

And I’m still saying she doesn’t endorse anyone as long as she’s giving commentary at Fox.

Knucklehead on October 20, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Our field is weak.

terryannonline on October 20, 2011 at 9:05 PM

The 2008 field, that was weak.

This is pathetic.

ajacksonian on October 20, 2011 at 9:19 PM

KingGold on October 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Saying that people “don’t have a heart” is not even in the same universe as “I’d consider releasing all of GITMO for one soldier”, thereby endagering all of out soldiers’ lives (and even those of tourists) to kidnapping. Not in the same universe.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 20, 2011 at 9:20 PM

He also says it should be a womans choice.

sharrukin on October 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM

In the context of murder or rape. I’m at a loss as to why people are struggling with this. It seems like only a certain few, lack the reasoning skills to see this. I expect that from a site like huffpo or wapo, but here?

In another thread today, I posted most of the candidate’s positions on abortion and all but two, had the same position.

There’s enough crap out there from the liberal media without our own kind having to make up false outrage.

If you don’t like Cain, go sit next to Hillary Clinton.

BruthaMan on October 20, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Knucklehead on October 20, 2011 at 9:18 PM

You might be right. So, then again, more anger.

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 9:21 PM

rape or incest, I should say.

BruthaMan on October 20, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Allahpundit on October 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

But he tweeted this much much earlier in the day. So either you’re s slow blogger or you are trolling for comments, because if it’s an update you could have just added it as an update to one of the other posts with 300+ comments already and sooner in the day.

TWG78 on October 20, 2011 at 9:21 PM

AP, stop spinning for Mitt!!!!!!!!!!

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Now that petunia has apparently taken hot air off of her favorites list I was worried that we weren’t going to see any posts with a lot of exclamation points. Thanks for stepping up to the plate.

Meh on October 20, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I thought when he was making those statements on the show that he was talking about the extenuating circumstances of rape, incest, or life of mother. The reason I say this is in his statement to Piers he said that statistically those numbers were not very large. If he had been talking about all abortion he would not have said that the numbers were not very large.

Rose on October 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM

lovingmyUSA on October 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

ROFL just wait til the election really cranks up. It will be wall to wall Allah posting Cain all the time with his “concerns”.

SirGawain on October 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM

It’s going to turn ugly if and when she does decide to make an endorsement.

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Wait, what? That makes very little sense. For one thing, Palin may have some kingmaker qualities, but she’s not going to make Newt the nominee all by her lonesome. For another thing, the Gingrich/Palin ticket would deliver Obama one of the biggest landslides he’s ever seen (sorry if that miffs people – they’re both very unpopular).

Finally, Palin plays second fiddle to nobody. The last thing she’d ever do would be to let herself be managed by the campaign of an elder statesman who’s known to wink at liberals.

KingGold on October 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM

TWG78 on October 20, 2011 at 9:21 PM

You caught him!!!!!

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I didn’t just post the tweet, I posted his full statement which didn’t come until later. And we delay stuff all the time because there’s other stuff we’re working on first. And no, we typically don’t add very belated updates to posts unless they’re at the top of the page where people will see them. Again: I’m sorry you’re bummed out that he messed up here, but take it out on him, not me.

Allahpundit on October 20, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Meh on October 20, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Eh, ‘tunia always threatens to leave but shows up with her gal pals whenever Mittens is up for discussion.

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 9:24 PM

TWG78 on October 20, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Why don’t you go hang out where you’re disliked slightly less and STFU. When you get your own blog and carry the same numbers s this joint maybe someone will give a flying fig what you have to say about anything.

darwin-t on October 20, 2011 at 9:26 PM

HondaV65 on October 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Not getting into an argument with anyone on this. I know some people are set on one candidate or another. I like Cain best, but like Perry, Newt and Santorum, as well. I am waiting to see how things go.

And I don’t have patience with anyone who would think Cain isn’t intelligent. He and Newt are the most intelligent.

Your allegory doesn’t fit or make sense in this discussion and doesn’t address my main point.

Show me one other candidate who has done more interviews these past 3 weeks and one who has no “gaffes.” (again, not fake Romney who doesn’t answer questions.)

Not all “gaffes” are fatal or disabling like alligator bites.

Elisa on October 20, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Not in the same universe.

Aslans Girl on October 20, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Funny you should say that. Because one of the gaffes led to nearly sixty percent of a candidate’s supporters deserting him, whereas the other has had zero noticeable effect.

KingGold on October 20, 2011 at 9:26 PM

KingGold on October 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM

You have some great points. They would not be accepted by the individual I was conversing with. Look around. Don’t you see how so many are clinging to their guns Bibles candidates?

MeatHeadinCA on October 20, 2011 at 9:27 PM

I must be taking crazy pills but I have vivid recollections of AP dropping hydrogen bombs on Mitt, Perry, and pretty much every other candidate. What is with this “Leave Herb alone1!!” Stuff?

Meh on October 20, 2011 at 9:28 PM

KingGold on October 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I see you’ve never been over to C4Palin, have you? They make the troofers look like pikers.

Knucklehead on October 20, 2011 at 9:29 PM

In the context of murder incest or rape.

BruthaMan on October 20, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Cain disagrees.

Cain: I’m pro-life from conception, yes.
Stossel: Any cases where it should be legal?
Cain: I don’t think government should make that decision.
Stossel: People should be free to abort a baby?
Cain: I support life from conception. No, people shouldn’t just be free to abort because if we don’t protect the sanctity of life from conception, we will also start to play God relative to life at the end of life.
Stossel: So I’m confused on what your position is.
Cain: My position is I’m pro-life. Period.
Stossel: If a woman is raped, she should not be allowed to end the pregnancy?
Cain: That’s her choice. That is not government’s choice. I support life from conception.
Stossel: So abortion should be legal?
Cain: No, abortion should not be legal. I believe in the sanctity of life.
Stossel: I’m not getting it. I’m not understanding it. If it’s her choice, that means it’s legal.
Cain: No. I don’t believe a woman should have an abortion. Does that help to clear it up?
Stossel: Even if she is raped?
Cain: Even if she is raped or the victim of incest because there are other options. We must protect the sanctity of life and I have always believed that.

Clear as mud.

sharrukin on October 20, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Knucklehead on October 20, 2011 at 9:29 PM

But they will never come close to you. You are in a class all by yourself.

promachus on October 20, 2011 at 9:32 PM

mythicknight on October 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

If Herman Cain wants to take that position, fine.

Good luck getting the nomination, though…

JohnGalt23 on October 20, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Oh boy, Anne Coulter is hoping for a Romney/Cain ticket on Hannity.

Knucklehead on October 20, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Not bummed. I like him best, but I don’t dislike the other top guys. I just find it so so interesting that Cain brings out such adamant opposition among my fellow conservatives.

TWG78 on October 20, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Has Cain mentioned all of the 57 states…?

d1carter on October 20, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Abortion is a big issue. This story is small potatoes.

RedRedRice on October 20, 2011 at 9:35 PM